New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Default Change Face [spell]

This could be a very useful spell. Does something like it exist already?

Change Face
    Transmutation
    Level: Sor/Wiz 7
    Components: V, S, M
    Casting Time: One standard action
    Range: Touch
    Target: Creature touched
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Saving Throw: Will negates
    Spell Resistance: Yes

Change Face permanently alters a creature's body to a different form of the same species, gender, and age. Beyond appearance and voice no other aspect of the character is altered. This spell cannot remove or restore body parts. Copying the appearance of another person requires a disguise check to determine success.

Material
    Semi-precious stones worth 1,000gp

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Change Face [spell]

I like it, but seems a little overpowered for a seventh level spell...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I was just thinking there should be something like this...
    And given that True Seeing still reveals the true appearance, I don't see it as overpowered at all...
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Dammit, I meant UNDER powered, not over. While a nifty spell, doesn't confer a great enough benefit to justify a 7th level

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Yeah seems to be quite underpowered for the high reaches of 7th level

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FrostBringer View Post
    Dammit, I meant UNDER powered, not over. While a nifty spell, doesn't confer a great enough benefit to justify a 7th level
    I THOUGHT that might be what happened.

And it probably is...
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    I was just thinking there should be something like this...
    And given that True Seeing still reveals the true appearance, I don't see it as overpowered at all...
    It's an instantaneous effect. How would True Seeing see through it?

Interesting idea, I'll say. Useful for crime lords and witness protection programs.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Lapak View Post
    It's an instantaneous effect. How would True Seeing see through it?

Interesting idea, I'll say. Useful for crime lords and witness protection programs.
    True Seeing reveals the original form of transmuted objects even after the spell has ended.

It's also useful for coups and espionage. Take the form of a general or king permanently to seize power, or be subtler by replacing a trusted courtier someone less likely to be immediately discovered as false.

As a permanent effect you can use on anybody it should be high level but seventh might be too high. Maybe it should be sixth level instead?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Lysander View Post
    True Seeing reveals the original form of transmuted objects even after the spell has ended.
    Huh. The spell description certainly implies that, but it seems to run counter to the idea of what an instantaneous effect is supposed to be. Baneful Polymorph and Polymorph Any Object are both Permanent in duration rather than instantaneous, which also makes them removable. Seeing through an instantaneous change strikes me as odd - would someone under True Seeing see someone who had been burned by a Fireball as if they had not been?

You may well be right by RAW, but I'd probably rule differently if I introduced this to my game. (That, or I'd change the duration to Permanent.)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Lapak View Post
    Huh. The spell description certainly implies that, but it seems to run counter to the idea of what an instantaneous effect is supposed to be. Baneful Polymorph and Polymorph Any Object are both Permanent in duration rather than instantaneous, which also makes them removable. Seeing through an instantaneous change strikes me as odd - would someone under True Seeing see someone who had been burned by a Fireball as if they had not been?

You may well be right by RAW, but I'd probably rule differently if I introduced this to my game. (That, or I'd change the duration to Permanent.)
    The idea of True Seeing is it sees through any form of visual trickery caused by magic. So whether it's an illusion or a transmutation if magic is trying to fool your vision it won't work. Someone injured by a fireball isn't a trick, they're actually injured. Duration doesn't matter either, it's just whether magic is being directly used to fool your vision. For example, Stone to Flesh is also instantaneous and True Seeing would reveal that the statue was once a living person.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Lysander View Post
    The idea of True Seeing is it sees through any form of visual trickery caused by magic. So whether it's an illusion or a transmutation if magic is trying to fool your vision it won't work. Someone injured by a fireball isn't a trick, they're actually injured.
    But... that's what an instantaneous effect means. It's a real change, there's no ongoing magic to sustain it. That's the whole basis for instantaneous conjurations and such not being stopped by SR, for example...

Actually, you know what? That's always bothered me anyway, and if I object to Acid Arrow bypassing SR I can hardly object to True Seeing overriding instantaneous conjurations. So I guess I agree with you after all.