New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Re: [5e] Zman's Heros for Hire IC I

Luna

Luna would be sitting with the symbol that Phynn carved. This will work for now. She had been meditating and praying to Silvanus to bless the symbol much of the morning. Luna would turn her attention to Sara as she tries to imagine what she has been through, She will manage.

Luna would happily take a short sword in exchange for the long sword and readies herself, but not before she attempts to procure some rations for the road, under the guidance of Silvanus.

Spoiler: Sleight of Hand
    Show

Just going to grab some rolls or pastries if the inn has them. No one has to know.

(1d20+3)[11]

2. - Top - End - #332
    Ettin in the Playground

Phynn

Phynn watches the hole in the chain shirt quickly disappear. He shakes his head in astonishment, I really should have learned to do that, he thinks to himself. Phynn thanks Ercard for the help, and accepts his assistance getting into the armor. He fits his new weapons into his belt and settles them in. This is ridiculous. I loved those weapons, he thinks. He then sees Sara and Luna across the room finishing preparations to leave. But worth it. Things can be replaced. People can't.

Once everything was in place, he silently acknowledges Sara with a quick glance of eye contact and a bowed head before greeting Luna. "Good morning. We should be on our way as quickly as possible." Phynn meets with the rest of the group, and whispers to Ercard, (Elven) "Maybe we should make a show of going anywhere but Glister, then loop around the town after we are sure we are not being watched?" He heads out and scopes out the remains of the town, as well as the mood of the people until the group is ready to depart.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Ogre in the Playground

"It's worth a try, I suppose" says Ercard. "Lead the way."
    Lantanese gnome avatar by the talented Honest Tiefling.

Don't call it a rework - 5e Ranger optional class features

4. - Top - End - #334
    Ettin in the Playground

Phynn

Phynn heads back to the inn before everyone departs. He sits near Lady Belderon and whispers, (Common)"Don't fear milady, we will get you home. Play along, we want to obscure our trail from here." He then turns to the others and speaks casually, but loud enough for Max to overhear, (Common)"We need to head south. I want to recover the items the bandits took from us. Lady Luna lost some of her supplies as well."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    After everyone puts in their two cents to make it look good, the group should get up and depart through the southern entrance. Once outside view of the town, we can loop around and head toward Glister.

5. - Top - End - #335

DruidGirl

Luna

Luna would nod and chimes in to concur with Phynn, [Common]"I agree, now that we are rearmed and with greater number. I want my mother's focus." The last words rang true, but she knew priorities. Luna would wait on everyone to leave, before falling in line.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Firbolg in the Playground

Departing Gordondale

The group gathers what they can before leaving on foot heading south, so one seems to be paying more than passing attention to them.

The young freckled guard runs up and bids them good day, asking if they'll be returning anytime soon. He mentions being excited to see men Glister sends, he mentions that Gloster's army is powerful, and if they can't get the Orc situation under control Gordondale will have switch its allegiance to Glister for a doubling the crop yield they send Hulburg each harvest.

Without incident the group manages to swing north and once again get on the road, this time north of Gordondale heading towards Glister...

As Luna is enjoying one of the pastries she notices a folded piece of paper among them, in a scribble script it reads, Enjoy the sweets, Max

Spoiler
    Show

(d20)[13](d20)[20](d20)[1]. He noticed you, and he sleight of handed the note without you noticing.

Last edited by Zman; 2016-02-14 at 11:11 PM.

7. - Top - End - #337

DruidGirl

Luna

Luna eats through the last pastry and notices the note at the bottom of the bag, "Hmm..Thank you, Max." She says softly and folds the paper.

It felt so good to be free of the city and back on the road. Luna walks beside Phynn and Sara, and keeps scanning around them for any potential threats, "I wish I had my flute." She says after a few miles.

Spoiler: Perception Check
    Show

(1d20+5)[12]

8. - Top - End - #338
    Troll in the Playground

Pau'la

Pau'la similarly walked in silence, realizing that Sara didn't wish for her to pry at the moment. At lest at this time, she had her armor, and should be fully prepared in case of attack.

Show
    We got our long rest completed now, right?
    Avatar of Lukas Stormlord the Paladin done by the Lovely Ceika!

9. - Top - End - #339
    Ogre in the Playground

Ercard walks in relative silence for the first leg of their journey. Once they're swinging around to find the northern road, he will comment "Once we find the road, I think there's a good chance we'll meet these troops they say were dispatched from Glister. If we can link up with them, that would be good, so let's keep an eye out for an on any well-armored troops we pass, eh?"

After a moment, he adds "Although maybe the rest of you should hang back while I suss them out, first. We're a little vulnerable right now."

And that's about all he says unless further pressed or until something happens during the first day of travel toward Glister.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Ettin in the Playground

Phynn

Phynn nods his head as Ercard speaks. "I agree with you, Ercard. We don't know who to trust. I say we don't hand over Lady Beldoran to anyone she doesn't recognize and trust. It will be difficult, for sure, against an armed regiment if it comes to that, but it is what is right."

Phynn departs a few times on quick scouting missions, but otherwise travels with the group.

Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    (d20+3)[11]

11. - Top - End - #341

North to Glister

The sunning is warming as the spring drags on, the walk will be long, three days by best estimate... Keeping an ever watchful eye on the road ahead for the promised soldiers the group makes a steady pace.... and find nothing but a sunny and warm day for their troubles. After many miles their feet tire and the sun begins to set...

Spoiler
    Show

(2d100)[79][60](139)

Nothing the first day!

Glad to be back!
    Last edited by Zman; 2016-03-17 at 05:37 PM.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Ettin in the Playground

To pass time, Phynn relates the story of the Lady's heroic rescue...leaving out the more delicate details.

"...the bandits invited us into the cave where we rested, then came up with a solution which benefited us all," he says in conclusion with a sidelong glance to Luna. "I hear things went as well as can be expected for you guys," he prompts to avoid any questions, and listens pleasantly as someone (probably Ercard) relates their overnight adventure.

Near sunset, Phynn will help to scout the area to find a place where they can set up camp, and volunteer to take first watch.

Show
    Good to see you, glad you're back.
    Last edited by Fishybugs; 2016-03-17 at 05:49 PM.

13. - Top - End - #343

DruidGirl

Luna

The day passed lazily by for Luna and she found herself rethinking the moments leading up to their capture. She was just barely able to save Phynn and even then 'Just' was a key word. her attention returns when Phynn retells the story and she gives a curt nod to his glance. Luna would keep Sara near for the first leg of the journey, but soon allows the royal her own space.

Once sunset was near and camp made. Luna strikes up a conversation with Sara, "M'lady, you were with those vile men for a time. Did you overhear anything they were saying? Maybe something that would shed light on who hired them?"
    Last edited by ncpunkin; 2016-03-17 at 11:47 PM.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Troll in the Playground

Pau'la traveled in silence, trying to stay alert to danger. When Phynn offered to take first watch, Pau'la spoke up. "Actually I'd like to take first watch, if you don't mind. " Pau'la hadn't especially enjoyed fighting without armor, and having to put on and take off armor in the middle of the night seemed difficult and counter to trying to avoid attacks.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ogre in the Playground

Ercard happily regales Sara and her elven rescuers with a rousing-ish tale of Pau'la and Zaar's exploits fending off the orcs who attacked saving the overwhelmed militiamen. He doesn't go into too much detail either, and neither does he embellish too much. His attention is regrettably split between the tale and keeping an eye on the road. Every now and then, he'll spare a glance behind, too.

When the time comes to make camp, he defers to Phynn on the selection of campsite and to Pau'la and Phynn on the assignment of watches. In fact, he mostly busies himself preparing his own bedroll and trying to make a decent meal for everyone out of the party's collective rations. And, occasionally, he will turn his gaze to the road and the north.

16. - Top - End - #346

Zaar

The burly half Orc takes delight at Pau'la's offer to take watch. He wastes no time stripping his armor off though he keeps his blades at his hips. "And I'll offer to take he dawn watch, no body likes a halfbreed with broken sleep and a short temper.". He busies himself aiding in the making of camp....

Sara Beldoran- Heiress of Glister

The young woman currently posing as a handmaiden is quite quiet listening to Ercard's story, a shimmer of a look that approaches emotion nearly passes her face. When Luna asks her about her experiences she reluctantly conveys what she can, her expression is almost dead and lifeless, devoid of emotion, "It was terrible... They called the boss "Red".... Said they were paid to kill everyone on the carriage, leave none alive, and make it look like Orc's did it... And then Red said "Why waste some perfectly good fun?" They....they planned to kill me before returning to Thentia. I don't know who hired them... I don't think they knew, or cared.". After a pause, and a loosening of her grip on her emotions.... "If I didn't travel outside of cities dressed as my handmaiden I'd.....Id be dead. I always bought P'Ter was overly cautious.... But he was right.... He was the first to be struck down when they ambushed us. We just hid... And the sounds.... When they came for us they just... Just.... Executed her right I front of my eyes... I thought I was next.... But that smile... That vile smile... It will haunt my dreams....." And Sara stops talking, goes silent.

Spoiler
    Show

Taking Watch.... (2d100)[13][43](56)(d5)[1]

17. - Top - End - #347

First Watch

As dinner is finished and each settles in for the night, the group makes camp, Pau'La taking up her watch. The picket of trees Phynn chose offers some protection while being just far enough off the road.... The night is still and quiet, but Pau'la takes nought for granted....

Spoiler
    Show

??(d20)[12]

Paula will need a Perception roll, also need a brief description of how she is taking up watch.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Troll in the Playground

Pau'la

Pau'la was a Paladin. Paladins were diciplined. That meant that she stood alert at watch at all times, no matter how tired or bored she might be. And really, figuring out the exact direction and origin of each sound wasn't as boring to her as is might be to some.

Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    We're back, baby!

(d20+2)[22]

19. - Top - End - #349

First Watch

As her companions have drifted off to sleep and the campsite was quiet, eerily quiet Pau'la keeps her keen eyes open and her senses sharp. It is hard to explain, its isn't something that she heard, or something that she saw, but Pau'la notices a vile looking eight legged creature seem to silently appear out of nowhere above her. This vile arachnid is the size of a horse, spanning two trees and there is absolutely no way Pau'la couldn't have noticed it hiding there or sneaking up on her...

Spoiler
    Show

Wow, nice roll, you needed to hit an 18!

Initiative!
    Spider(d20)[15]

Ercard(d20+4)[24]
    Luna(d20+3)[10]
    Phynn(d20+3)[20]
    Pau'la(d20-1)[3]
    Zaar(d20+2)[4]

Surpirse Round
    Spider
    Pau'la

Normal Initiative

Ercard, Phyn
    Spider
    Luna
    Zaar, Pau'la
    Last edited by Zman; 2016-03-18 at 01:55 PM.

20. - Top - End - #350

Spider

Wasting no time the massive spider immediately lashes out at Pau'la with venom covered fangs... Pau'la barely has time to react, the fangs are on her before she is even fully aware of what is going on, had she not happened to look up with she did they may have found their mark, but instead the fangs and crushing weight of the spider find hardend mail and it holds.... had she not turned her shoulder at the last second they would have found her neck....

Spoiler
    Show

Surprise Round: Action or Move

Attack vs Pau'La (d20+4)[17] for (d10+2)[12] and (4d8)[18] Poison with DC 11 (d20+2)[9] for Half

Wow, had I rolled one higher Pau'la would have taken 30pts of damage and been knocked out!

Map!
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Surprise Round
    Pau'la is up
    Last edited by Zman; 2016-03-18 at 02:08 PM.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Troll in the Playground

Pau'la

"Hey!" Pau'la cried out as the spider's fang scraped her armor, barely missing her neck. Pau'la retaliated swiftly.

Spoiler: Attack!
    Show
    Let's go!
    (d20+5)[25]
    (d10+3)[9]

22. - Top - End - #352

Pau'la's retribution is swift and uncanningly precise as divine favor smiles upon her. With one fell swing the spider falls wriggling in its death throws, as it dies it seems to flash in and out of existence before ultimately solidifying a still lifeless husk...

The others wake to the commotion to find the attacker dead and only Pau'la standing in the firelight...

Spoiler
    Show

And that is a wrap, I did not expect that fight to be over so fast! It almost one shot you to be crit oneshot in return. Count me impressed!

23. - Top - End - #353
    Ettin in the Playground

Phynn wakes to the commotion. He grabs his shortsword and rolls to a standing position, looking around. He wonders if he sees a bit of a glow around Pau'la as she stands over her recent kill, but it fades before he's even sure he's seen anything. "Umm...huh. I'm really glad I let you take first watch."

Phynn searches the area for any friends the spider may have brought along.

Show
    (d20+2)[20]

24. - Top - End - #354
    Troll in the Playground

Pau'la

Pau'la took a deep breath, surprised it was over so fast. "I am too. I wouldn't have liked to fight that thing without armor. Do you know anything about giant spiders?"

25. - Top - End - #355
    Ettin in the Playground

"I know....some. What did you want to know?" Phynn examines what is left of the spider, looking for venom glands or sharp protrusions of carapace which may be used as a weapon.

Show
    Nature roll for removing venom glands: (d20+5)[12]

26. - Top - End - #356
    Ogre in the Playground

A bleary-eyed Ercard sits blinking in the darknes, a flute held in one hand like some sort of magic wand, having woken up a few moments earlier. Not sensing immediate danger, the bard continues confusedly turning to and fro to find the threat. He slowly gets up as he does so until he is standing over his bedroll in his small clothes menacing the darkness with a musical instrument. Finally, he focuses on Pau'la and Phynn?

"Did I miss something?" he asks hazily. Then he sees the spider corpse. He looks at it, then at Pau'la and Phynn; then he nods.

"Good" he says, then crawls back into his bedroll and goes to sleep. He'll wake later for third watch.

27. - Top - End - #357

As Phynn attempts to remove the venom glands his knife slips as it pierced the carapace ruining them. He wasn't nearly familiar enough with the anatomy.

As Ercard falls back to sleep and readies himself for his watch.... And each wakes in turn, the night passing by without further incidence...

Spoiler
    Show

(2d100)[40][3](43)(d4)[3]
    Last edited by Zman; 2016-03-19 at 08:31 AM.

28. - Top - End - #358

Morning- Breaking Camp

Morning comes and the geoup quickly breaks camp after breaking the fast...

Spoiler
    Show

RP opportunity before hitting the road. I'll likely post in he morning.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Ettin in the Playground

Phynn grimaces as he slices the venom sac, and quickly recoils his hands from the corpse. "Blast." He takes his watch, then finishes his rest. Phynn helps with breakfast and breaking camp. "How is everyone feeling? Are we good to go?"

He looks at his weapons as he prepares to get on the road. He hadn't realized how much he missed his scimitar and whip. That'll teach me to go off and try to play the hero. he thinks to himself. I have a lot to learn, I guess. He continues packing things up, sees Sara going about her morning and thinks again, Although her life is worth more than a few pieces of equipment.

Phynn looks up to the sky as the others ready themselves, "It didn't rain. Let's hope the weather holds. I think this will be our lucky day, guys."

30. - Top - End - #360
    Troll in the Playground

Pau'la

Pau'la woke with a stretch and a smile. "Well, that was a pleasant sleep." She said cheerily, before turning to Luna. "Did you see the Spider, Luna? Any idea what it is in case we run into another one?"