New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [5e] Zman's Heros for Hire IC I

Ercard

The bard lets the merchant lead the way and decide upon the meals he is willing to pay for, or at least he doesn't interject on his own behalf. Once everyone is seated and the elves have some food in them, however, Ercard gets down to his business.

"So, Phynn, was it? You say the pair of you are travelers? If I heard right, you're just looking for enough to furnish yourselves with fresh supplies. Please forgive my misplaced words earlier, I leapt to a common answer before I'd heard your story." He glances in Zaar's direction before continuing "I should know better than that, with the things Zaar and I have been mistaken for. Why, there was one time..."

And he launches into a story, a short one about the time a merchant approached Zaar and tried to commission an assassination from him within seconds of seeing the half-orc. In the end, the merchant gets a rude awakening, but Zaar is unable to prove he tried to to hire a hit, and the guard refuses to take action on a half-orc's words. Ercard doesn't spend too much time on the story, keeping it short and sweet.

"And now we're here," he concludes, "Two friends, now three with the addition of Lady Pau'la--childhood friend of mine--just out to make our own way and keep to the light."

He takes a drink before really turning to his point. "But you're more than just that, aren't you?" he says to Phynn and Luna. "You're coming from somewhere. Going somewhere else."

Although it isn't quite phrased as a question, it is a hook. From the story he tells to the questions he leaves unasked, he's trying to tease out Phynn and Luna's story and what quest they find themselves short on coin for.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

Myrl

Myrl seems delighted with his new found company, as he orders up a round side pork, a hearty loaf, and nigh a pound of butter. "I hope this meal will be payment enough." as he laughs.

Zaar

Zaar gives a hearty chuckle that sounds like grinding gravel, "Let's not forget that time the Nobleman tried to proposition you!. Zaar laugh deepens, "And thanks to the wine he only thought your objects were over the amount of coin!"

Zaar and Ercard had been companions for some time, he recognized the inquiry and awaited their reply with some small amount of interest. Such things were of much greater concern to men like Ercard.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGirl

Luna

Luna eats little of the meat, but digs through the bread and butter a bit, This is very delightful. She thinks about the inn with a smile. The few people in the inn made things much more pleasant for Luna. The wood-elf listens to Ercard with rapt attention. She loved a good story and wondered if he had his tales memorized or just jumped from thought to thought. Her own thoughts began to drift off as she had hoped Phynn would handle Ercard's questions. She in turn took focus on the inn keeper, she suddenly moved away from the group, hoping to draw less attention while they are talking. "Hello Inn-keep, I want to know your drinks on tap. Do you have mead or anything spicy?"

Luna would order a round of mead for the party, returning with a large gallon and several mugs, [Elvish]"Drinks friends." She said and poured each a glass, before settling back beside Phynn.

4. - Top - End - #34

The bar has two brews, neither of any note, but they'll do the job.

Myrl

As Luna brigs the mead, "Thank you lass, some mead always makes the road a little easier.". He chuckles.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

Phynn listens intently as Ercard relates his story, and smiles at Luna and nods his head in thanks as she pours his drink and sits back down. (Elven)"Thank you, Luna."

Phynn takes a sip of the drink as he gathers his thoughts, then begins. "Well, our story isn't quite as interesting, really. We met through a mutual friend who knew we were travelling in the same direction. We've known each other only a few weeks...maybe a few months now I guess?" He hesitates a moment, as if contemplating how much he wants to share with practical strangers and wondering how much of her own story Luna really wants told, at least as much of her story as he knew.

"I'm looking for clues to help me find a lost family member. I was headed this way when Luna and I found each other, and she is helping me. We have run into some goblins and orcs destroying villages and natural habitats...helped to run them off a few times. I believe our purposes would align well if we travelled together. This bread is quite good, thank you," he says to Myrl as he concludes.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Ercard

When Luna returns with mead, Ercard thanks her with a smile and begins pouring mugs for everyone. And when it is clear that Phynn has finished his tale, the bard raises his mug to the air and offers a toast "A noble endeavor, you're on. Let us drink to great success when you're journey ends."

He raises his mug and drinks a long gulp from it, then adds "And to a new one soon after, always."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    That's all I wanted to do here, so ready to move on when everyone else is.

7. - Top - End - #37

Zaar

Zaar raises his mug as well, "I too have a family I'd like to find, but it's a reunion he'd dread." he is somber and there is vitriol in his voice...

Myrl

When he meal and mead are done maybe an hour has passed before the group makes their way towards Myrl's wagon. The pot bellied man with frying hair pats Bessy on the rump lovingly before turning to the group, "We'd best be off, only room for one up front next to me, the rest of you are welcome to ride in the back and make yourselves comfortable."

Spoiler
    Show

Who is riding up front, who is riding in back, anyone deciding to just walk?

8. - Top - End - #38

DruidGirl

Luna

Luna would help stow any gear, before she slips up beside Myrl and smiles. Luna's attitude would shift ever upward as they made their way out of town. Happy to be outside of civilization, despite yearning it sometimes, she still loved nature. Soon she is in good enough spirits to ask, "Do you come this way very often, Mr. Myrl?" She sat with her bow beside her, intent on letting the others keep watch. Luna would let him answer and follow up in her lyrical tone "You said you were concerned with the roads. Have they not always been dangerous?"
    Last edited by ncpunkin; 2015-12-12 at 05:45 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39

Wagon east of Thentia

Myrl

The laden wagon is underway, it is quite slow going for the aging grey mare and young chestnut. On every rotation of the right rear wheel the wagon jostled, the wheel slitly out of balance. Myrl had been overly hopeful when he had thought that he'd be able to keep up with the carriage, his laden wagon was going nowhere fast.

Myrl looks at Luna, "Aye I do, I make a grand loop from Phlan along the northern Moonsea east to the Galena Mountagains and back West north of the Dragonspine and back. I'll unlock most of my linens in Glister and buy some material, as much as I can carry."

When asked about the dangers of the road, "I've been making the trip for nigh on thirty years, and my father did before me. Roads haven't been this dangerous since before my time, when Glister and Hulburg were at war. Father said it was a bloody time, good coin in bringing food to Glister in those days, they can't grow much of their own. I've settled for linens for the most part, most bandits are too lazy if they know the wares, but with the Orc trouble and increased banditry, they aren't as safe as I'd like.". After a short pause, "I'm certainly glad for the company and the protection. Guards are costly and I'd like to retire in a few seasons."

Spoiler
    Show

We can add a bit more RP, then we'll move forward, I'll make it a two and two walking guard between Phynn, Pau'la, Ercard, and Zaar.

10. - Top - End - #40

DruidGirl

Luna

Luna nods and smiles as she listens to the old merchant's tale, A few more seasons is about all he has left., "We will do our best to make sure this leg of your trip is safe, Mr Myrl." Luna pulls out her flute and begins to practice with a soft melody that carries to the group. The thoughts of Orcs troubled her, but not enough to drench her spirits and she had hoped to pass her optimism for the day to everyone. Though her bow remained against her left leg, just in case.

11. - Top - End - #41

East of Thentia-Coast Road

As the wagon lumbers on, the hours begin to drift by, and the wagon keeps lurching in sequence with turning of the wheels. Luna still rides up front as Pau'la and Ercard are walking along side while Zaar and Phynn ride in the covered wagon....

As the wagon enters hillier country...

Spoiler
    Show

(4d20)[11][17][15][20](63)

Luna Perception (d20+5)[21] Disadvatage (d20+5)[16]

Who is walking? Phynn, Pau'la, Ercard, Zaar (d4)[2](d3)[2]
    Other Perceptions
    Left sans modifier(d20)[16]
    Right sans modifier(d20)[17]

Last edited by Zman; 2015-12-13 at 01:36 AM.

12. - Top - End - #42

As the wagon enters Hilliard country Luna, Ercard and Paula notice a large flesh colored bolder begin to move maybe a hundred or so feet away... It's a massive humanoid nearly ten feet tall and weighing half a ton, an Ogre male.

Spoiler
    Show

Surprise Round
    (d20)[18](d20)[16]
    Zaar and Phynn didn't get Perceptions as they were in the mostly enclosed Wagon

Initiative
    Ercard(d20+4)[18]
    Luna(d20+3)[12]
    Phynn(d20+3)[6]
    Pau'la(d20-1)[2]
    Zaar(d20+2)[16]

Surprise Round Initiative(Only Action or Move)
    Ercard
    Ogre Male
    Ogre Female
    Luna
    Pau'la

Initiative
    Ercard
    Ogre Male
    Zaar
    Ogre Female
    Luna
    Myrl etc
    Phynn
    Pau'la

Last edited by Zman; 2015-12-14 at 09:27 AM.

13. - Top - End - #43

Spoiler
    Show

Myrl Initiative (d20)[9]

I'll have a map up tomorrow, feel free to post OOC with questions.

Map!
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    Last edited by Zman; 2015-12-13 at 01:03 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Ercard

"Ogre!" shouts Ercard from the right. As he does, he reaches to unhook his crossbow with one hand and draw a bolt with the other.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Since he can't see the FO, Ercard won't be dropping any spells just yet. Instead, he'll use his action to ready his crossbow and the free item interaction that comes with to load it.

15. - Top - End - #45

Ogre Male

The Ogre male, massive in its form stands up shadowed by a rock and draped in tanned hides from all manner of beasts. Ogres aren't intelligent, but they know enough to fashion makeshift weapons, and this Ogre has a ten foot javelin thick as a man's wrist with a sharpened tip, with little effort the Ogre launches the small tree... The massive projectile impact's Bessy behind her right shoulder, the wrist thick javelin explodes out the other side, each pump loosing her lifeblood. Her knees buckle and Bessy is dying as she hits the ground... The loss of the draft horse causes the wagon the careen to a stop, nearly throwing all on board...

Spoiler
    Show

Attack vs Bessy Advantage for restrained cancels Disadvantage of Range
    (d20+6)[15](2d6+4)[12](2d6)[8]

Everyone will have a DC 10 Acrobatics Check or be Prone at the start of their turn.

Edit: Bessy had more HP than I thought, but the Ogre Female sealed the deal. RIP Bessy, you'll be missed.
    Last edited by Zman; 2015-12-13 at 04:16 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46

Ogre Female

The grotesque and bulbous female mate, slightly smaller in stature and mass than the male launches her own makeshift weapon at the dying horse... Bessy may have survived the first, but the second wound is final as the loyal draft horse exhales a last bloody breath...

Spoiler
    Show

Bessy is dead.
    (d20+6)[13](2d6+4)[10](2d6)[3]

Pau'la and Luna are up in the surprise round and can go in any order. Don't forget your DC 10 Acrobatics Check or be prone.
    Last edited by Zman; 2015-12-13 at 04:18 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Acrobatics check
    Show
    Acrobatics check: (d20+3)[11]

18. - Top - End - #48

DruidGirl

Spoiler: Acrobatics check
    Show

Dex Save (1d20+3)[14]

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: OOC (sorry for not posting in the OOC thread)
    Show

Yay for stat penalties!
    (d20-1)[7]
    Last edited by Estralita; 2015-12-13 at 04:35 PM.
    Avatar of Lukas Stormlord the Paladin done by the Lovely Ceika!

20. - Top - End - #50

Spoiler
    Show

Zaar Acrobatics(d20)[15]

Myrl Acrobatics(d20-1)[12]

21. - Top - End - #51

DruidGirl

Luna

Luna gasps and stands up seeing the large javelin tear into Bessy. She feels a rage bubble for the unprovoked and unneeded death of the animal who was near death already. The next moment she stands up. She puts her foot on the front of the wagon to brace, grabs an arrow from her quiver, and extends her bow as far as it could go. She releases the feathered arrow in a high arc, hoping for the shot to connect the large male who had delivered the opening blow.

Spoiler: Disadvantage I think
    Show

I am pretty far away, but I got a max of 320
    Attack : (1d20+5)[19] or (1d20+5)[16]
    Hit : (1d6+3)[6]
    Crit : (1d6)[3]

Last edited by ncpunkin; 2016-01-30 at 05:30 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Ercard

When the female ogre emerges, Ercard hesitates. He had been aiming a shot at the male, but the presence of a second enemy changes things. Quickly, he wets his lips and then lets out a lilting, lyrical whistle.

"♪̷̖̦̹♪̧̤̯̼̖̪̦ͅ♫̙̤̪͕ͅ♪̶̦̝♫̳͇̬͍͍̱̻͠♪♪̘̭♫͝♫̶̻̻̖̤ ͙̖̟"

A haunting, if brief, melody fills the air. But it is even more than that. It is a fey melody, and it brings a touch of the feywild with it.

Show
    Moving to 28P

Casting Faerie Fire, centered between the ogres.
    Ogre Male must pass a DC 13 Dex save - (1d20)[17] or grant advantage on all attacks.
    Ogre Female must pass a DC 13 Dex save - (1d20)[20] or grant advantage on all attacks.

23. - Top - End - #53

Luna's rapid reaction looses an arrow true to its mark as the arrow sticks going virtually unnoticed by the massive brute...

Pau'la

Pau'a readies her glaive as she moves to the front of the chestnut horse.

Spoiler
    Show

Pau'la's surprise round action NPCed due to 12 hour rule.
    Last edited by Zman; 2015-12-14 at 09:39 AM.

24. - Top - End - #54

Ogre Male

The massive brute lumbers forward, a massive gnarled club in his hand as he approaches and engages Ercard...

Spoiler
    Show

Move/Dash

Check the map, there are tabs on the bottom for rounds.

25. - Top - End - #55

Zaar

Startled and hearing his friend's call of warning, Zaar jumps out of the wagon drawing one of his Shortswords... As he round the corner of the wagon and sees the massive Ogre bearing down upon his friend, Zaar cries out, his blood boiling, "Gethe nine hells outta there!"

Spoiler
    Show

Zaar enters Rage, Move/Dash, and draws a Shortsword as part of a weapon interaction.

Ogre Female

The nigh equally large femlae comes lumbering down the hill, a veritable small tree held in hand as she closes on Zaar...

Spoiler
    Show

Move/Dash

Myrl

Seeing his beloved Bessy fall, Myrl jumps off the front of his wagon, a wince of pain as he lands on the ground. He does what he can as he tries to save the his lost, "No, no, no!"

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show

Initiative
    Ercard
    Ogre Male
    Zaar
    Ogre Female
    Luna, Myrl, Phynn, Pau'la

Block initiative, Luna, Ohynn, and Pau'la in any order. Check the map, it has updated tabs for every round of combat.

Last edited by Zman; 2015-12-14 at 03:24 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

Phynn

Phynn hears the disturbance, some crashing, and the cart lurch to a sudden halt, followed by a cry of anguish he instantly recognizes as Luna. He jumps out of the cart as he readies his bow, moves around the side, and sees a hulking monstrosity of flesh with an arrow sticking out of it. Phynn takes aim and lets fly an arrow...

Spoiler: Moves/action
    Show
    Phynn moves to O32 and fires his longbow. We have advantage on attacks due to faerie fire? If not, just use the first roll...

[roll0] or [roll1]

for [roll2] damage and [roll3] if it crits.

FOR BESSIE!!!

After he shoots, he'll use the remainder of his movement to place himself between Myrl and the ogres if possible.

NOTE: I ACCIDENTALLY HIT PREVIEW...I'LL MAKE MY ROLLS IN THE OOC THREAD
    Last edited by Fishybugs; 2015-12-14 at 12:12 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57

Phynn manages to loose the arrow and it travels over Ercard's shoulder and into the shoulder of the male Ogre, the wound seems like little more than a flesh wound to it...

Spoiler
    Show

Hit for 8 Damage despite soft cover

Initiative
    Ercard
    Ogre Male
    Zaar
    Ogre Female
    Myrl, Phynn, Luna, Pau'la

28. - Top - End - #58

DruidGirl

Luna

Luna, for a moment, wanted to jump up and down at hitting the far away target, [Elvish]I got him, Phynn.. Her eyes widen in fear as the large creature just takes the arrow without even a wince. She glances over to Myrl as he jumps down, "No." She quickly shoulders her bow and follows him, "You must hide. Bessy is no longer with us. She'd want you to live, Run!" Luna spins around in a flurry, her totem glows in her hand. A puff of fire emits from the tip and with a continuation of the flurry Luna throws the flame ball towards the male ogre.

Spoiler: Produce Flame
    Show

Target - Male Ogre.
    Attack - (1d20+5)[22]
    Hit - (1d8)[1]
    Crit - (1d8)[6]

Whoohoo 1 Damage!

I wanta go to 33 P please :)

Last edited by ncpunkin; 2015-12-14 at 12:34 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

Pau'la had remained quiet through most of the introductions. She wasn't especially comfortable making small talk with people she just met. If there was something she needed to say, she'd say it. But talking for talking's sake was different. As was a battle with ogres.

Unfortunately, the ogres were attacking from the opposite side of the wagon that Pau'la was on, which made entering ther fight more difficult. But she managed to get around the wagon and join in on the brawl, setting her sights on the female or the pair.

Spoiler: Turn
    Show
    Sorry I didn;t post earlier. Moving to 30 P, because what's the point of a weapon with reach if you don't use it sometimes?

Attack:
    (d20+5)[12]
    (d10+3)[13]

Bonus Attack:
    (d20+5)[12]
    (d4+5)[6]
    Avatar of Lukas Stormlord the Paladin done by the Lovely Ceika!

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Ercard

When the ogre charges, Ercard has time to flee. If he ran immediately, he could get away and hide, but he doesn't. He hesitates, waiting for something. The ogre comes nearer, and Ercard begins incanting. In fact, he is smiling at the ogre as he weaves words of magic, almost as if he were daring the brute to hit him. He is still speaking when the ogre arrives to complete its charge and brings its massive club down where the bard is standing.

"Hu͘n͞͡ ̶̨̧San̨͟͝x̨͟u̧ ̷͞Vo͠҉͞co͝ ̢͝V͠ur̛͠"

Ercard dodges, of course, lurching toward Zaar at the last moment. As he does so, his free hand reaches out, as if to steady himself, and rests momentarily on Zaar's shoulder.

His maneuver is successful. His mocking stance goads the ogre into performing a more powerful, but slower swing, which Ercard deftly sidesteps. The bard keeps moving from there, turning and rushing past Pau'la. When his hand leaves Zaar's shoulder, there is a golden, gossamer thread reaching from his hand to Zaar. As he rushes past Pau'la, his hand also brushes her, and another gossamer thread connects them as well. Then the threads disappear, and those who saw them are left wondering if they were ever there at all.

Show
    Ercard will back up to 29p, provoking an attack from the ogre.
    Ogre Club - (1d20+6)[17]
    If the Ogre rolls 13-15 15-17 (total), Ercard will use cutting words - (1d6)[4] to reduce his attack roll result.
    I don't know how much damage their clubs do, so I'll leave that roll to Zman.

Afterward, assuming he lives, he will cast Heroism in a level 2 slot, targeting Zaar and Pau'la. Both will receive 3 temporary HP at the starts of each of their turns and are immune to fear (as long as Ercard maintains concentration).

Then Ercard will continue moving, ending up in 33o.
    Last edited by Townopolis; 2015-12-14 at 02:28 PM.