New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [5e] Zman's Heros for Hire IC I

Pau'la looked down in mourning for the travelers' tragic death. The question brought her back to reality. "We, or at least I, have already made a commitment to Mr. Myrl. I will go back to defend him. If you wish to track them, I won't stop you." She spoke sadly. Whoever did this might go unpunished, but they couldn't leave the man undefended.
    Avatar of Lukas Stormlord the Paladin done by the Lovely Ceika!

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

Ercard

Ercard approaches the grisly scene behind Pau'la, and he seems little less affected by it than she does. Indeed, he is silent a good while. During this silence, he goes to each of the guards and kneels by each one to say a few words and--if needed--close their eyes. The noblewoman is visited last, and her eyes pressed shut as well. Then Ercard hurries off to the side of the road to be violently ill.

When he returns, he speaks in a solemn, almost grim tone "Phynn and Luna, if you wish to track the perpetrators, you should do so now. Pau'la, Zaar, and I will take Myrl to town."

Then he pauses and thinks before speaking again, and this time in a calmer, yet more decisive voice "If you find whoever did this, note where they go and find us in Gordondale. We'll take them down together."
    Lantanese gnome avatar by the talented Honest Tiefling.

Don't call it a rework - 5e Ranger optional class features

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ettin in the Playground

Phynn

Frustrated at arriving too late to be if any help, Phynn throws the debris aside. He marks the trail taken by the men and returns to Myrl's wagon.

"Luna says she smells only human scent. No orcs, no trolls. We're not here to look for them. It pains me to let murderers free, but we belong here."

Phynn settles back into his position beside the wagon, arrow nocked and ready for any threat.
    Last edited by Fishybugs; 2015-12-29 at 10:39 AM.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGirl

Luna

Luna seems distant even in her animal form and shares Phynn's sentiments of being unable to help. She would slip into the wagon and meditate after she slips out of animal form.

Once the raw feelings of the carnage had passed, she approached Phynn, [Elvish]"That was most frustrating. That poor hand maiden is good as dead.". Her attention turns back ahead, "A good drink would go a long way right now."

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ettin in the Playground

Phynn

Phynn thinks a moment before responding. (Elven)"Have you flown before, Luna? They headed that way," Phynn points down the trail he marked. (Elven) If you can see where they went from the air, you can probably still beat us to Gordondale. Then we can head straight to their lair and attempt a rescue"
    Last edited by Fishybugs; 2015-12-29 at 10:44 AM.

6. - Top - End - #186

DruidGirl

Luna

Luna shakes her head at Phynn's questions, [E]"I've yet to master the wing movement. I was studying the vultures, but it still eludes me." She looks up towards the sky, "I'll get it one day."

7. - Top - End - #187
    Firbolg in the Playground

Zaar

The large half-orc looks down at the broken Orc axe, when he turns to Ercard his face is hard, his words venom, "A maid taken by Orcs... is a fate worse than death... My mother..." He doesn't finish and is silent and still as stone.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ettin in the Playground

Phynn

Phynn listens to Zaar's helpless expression about his mother and glances involuntarily at Luna, knowing she may be thinking the same thing.

"I agree, friend Zaar. We are in no good situation. We have an obligation to fulfill to Myrl. We will do what we can afterward. I swear it is so. Phynn looks off in the same direction he marked one more time, obviously wishing to be telling his friend they were going immediately after the helpless woman.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

Ercard

The bard listens to the others discuss the predicament. When Luna mentions the handmaiden's presumed fate in elven, he suppresses his reaction, but he does look up at Zaar's words. Then he looks down, lost in thought for a few seconds. With a nod, he says "Very well then, we will take Myrl to Gordondale. Ahh, perhaps someone should check on him." He looks back down the road to where they all left Myrl behind.

"Meanwhile, a prayer, Trista?" he says to Pau'la while himself moving back to the carriage.

Inside the carriage, he takes another look at the dead noble, but this time he pays only brief attention to her features--enough to note major distinguishing features--before rummaging around on her person for other identifiers--jewelry, distinct accessories, signets, or anything else that is he thinks could be used to identify her. He also checks on the guards and the carriage itself for identifiers before turning his attention from identifying the victims to identifying the assailants. He scours the scene for clues that might shed light on who wished the noble dead.

"Phynn!" he calls out while searching. "Where did the ambushers strike from? Where did they hide? And how many were there?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Investigation - (1d20+5)[11]
    I think Phynn still has his bard d6 from earlier. If he doesn't, he gets a new one.
    If it would help, Ercard will cast Faerie Fire to illuminate objects in the area, for easier searching.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ettin in the Playground

Phynn

Phynn scouts around the area of the carriage. "Rillifane help me to know how this was done. Grant me knowledge to right this wrong," he says as he holds on to his holy symbol once again. He looks at tracks on the ground, broken and mashed down foliage, and any waste left behind by the invaders.

Spoiler: OOC check
    Show
    Ummm.....not sure if this counts as tracking which would be survival or investigation...so I'll roll and let you add the modifier... +2 for investigation, +5 for survival

(d20)[10] (d4)[3] for guidance and (d6)[3] for inspiration

So....18-21...I'm thinking I'll have a little bit of an idea.
    Last edited by Fishybugs; 2015-12-30 at 01:47 PM.

11. - Top - End - #191

DruidGirl

Luna

Luna would be squatting near the horse she had turned into, [Sylvan]"I am sorry we were not able to help." Her attention turned to Ercard as he mentioned Myrl, "I'll check on him." In truth the sight had begun to turn her stomach a little.

Luna walks slowly with her totem at the ready. Her eyes scanning the sides of the road for movement or danger.

Spoiler: Perception
    Show

(1d20+5)[6]
    Last edited by ncpunkin; 2015-12-30 at 01:55 PM.

12. - Top - End - #192

It takes Luna almost ten minutes to catch up to Myrl, his progress was slow but he was managing by himself. The Chestnut looks tired and is glistening with sweat. Myrl is standing off the side of the wagon leading the Chestnut from the ground.

Myrl

Shouting out to Luna as she approaches, "Lady Luna, what is the news? I saw the Vultures fly off." His face shows signs of softness, he is visibly glad to see Luna safe.

13. - Top - End - #193

DruidGirl

Luna

Luna smiles at Myrl's welcome, "Phynn negotiated with them." She came up beside the chestnut, "The scene is quite morbid Mister Myrl. The vultures were preying upon the noble's entourage. They were attacked." Luna would try not to outpace the cart, but she was eager to return to the group.

14. - Top - End - #194

Myrl

Myrl chuckles when she says he negotiated with them, when mentioning the attack alarm crosses his face, "Attacked, by what? Who? Were there any survivors?" Unconsciously Myrl picks up the pace...

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

Ercard

The bard keeps up his searching up until Myrl arrives. He doesn't have much hope of finding anything solid, but he scours the battlefield for splinters from a shield, distinctive bootprints, discarded weapons, or anything else that the attackers may have left behind through carelessness or haste. At one point, he double-checks around the wagon to see if there's anything the noble or her handmaiden might have torn from their assailants in a struggle.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Rolled investigation in my last post, got an 11.
    Ercard will go ahead and cast Faerie Fire. It illuminates objects, so maybe it'll wrap around something interesting. Maybe I can wheedle advantage? I dunno, we'll see what the DM thinks.
    dis/advantage - (1d20+5)[13]

16. - Top - End - #196

DruidGirl

Luna

Luna gives a slow nod, "We are unsure, but they will be brought to justice. There is hope that the handmaiden survived, her body wasn't found among the dead." Luna took in a deep breath as they made their way back to the carnage.

17. - Top - End - #197

Ercards doesn't find anything else left behind, just the broken Orc Axe and and the handful of Orc arrows. He does see a signet ring on the Noblewoman's hand. It looks like any loose valuables have been taken.

The guards are relatively untouched, each has a crossbow, a Longsword, shield, and breastplate emboldened with the crest of Glister.

Myrl

When told that the handmaiden could have survived, "Hope? Where is she?"

18. - Top - End - #198
    Troll in the Playground

After Pau'la whispered another short prayer for the fallen, she lapsed into silence. If only she had been faster, or more alert, maybe she could have done something...

Did you think this would be easy, Pau'la? she reminded herself. You need to give all your effort into what needs to be done, both for others, and your Goddess. It is too late for them; they are already reborn. Work harder next time."

She was so caught up in her worries, she didn't take part in the conversation with the guards, instead waiting for the others to come to a decision.
    Avatar of Lukas Stormlord the Paladin done by the Lovely Ceika!

19. - Top - End - #199

DruidGirl

Luna

Luna would look back as they neared the scene, "If I knew that Mister Myrl, I would be rushing to her aide." She pushes towards the group as they came into view, "Hopefully they have found more clues."

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

Ercard

With only a signet ring to show for his efforts, Ercard looks around the scene in frustration until he finally lets it all out with a sigh. "It's no use. I can't find anything we can use to find the attackers later. Although... did they head into the moor, or toward the coast?" He shakes his head immediately after and adds "We can bring her corpse and her signet to the city, but that's about it for now. If we could bury the guards, that would at least keep them until they can be properly retrieved... but I would prefer to bring her with us straight-away."

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ettin in the Playground

Phynn

Phynn finishes checking out the nearby area. He returns to the grisly scene, and says to Ercard and Pau'la, "I can see which way they've gone. They left in a hurry. Luna says she smelled only humans, so I'm wondering if they are a group setting up the orcs to take the fall for their actions? Regardless, I can follow them. We need to finish with Myrl as quickly as possible."

Spoiler: Question for ZMan
    Show
    Based on my previous roll (18 or 21 depending on which modifier used) can I tell where the group came from and if they were waiting in ambush or just happened apon the carriage?

22. - Top - End - #202

Onwards to Gordondale

Not wanting to waste any time the group quickly makes preparations to leave. With a roll of linen Ercard's wraps the noble woman's body hastily and secures her in the back of the wagon. Zaar helps bury the guards, stripping them of their armor and weapons noting how easy it should be to get a blacksmith to remove and change the emblazoned crest. Phynn is able to move earth and bury the bodies in short order.

On the road again, the group keeps their eyes peeled, not wanting to be caught unawares...

Gordondale- Outskirts

...a few hours later as the sun is setting on the horizons a small town can be seen growing in the distance. Near a half dozen guard posts surround the town. Two men, well a man and a boy great them as they near.

The man is grizzled and leaving his middle years behind him while the boy is nearing manhood. Each wear worn armor and arms fitting a town guard. The man shouts a greeting to them as they approach.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

Ercard

Ercard shouts "hail" to the man and waves in reply, then he trots forward ahead of the party to greet them. "Well met, watchmen. I take it we've at last reached Gordondale?" he begins. "I'll admit to being new to these lands, so I don't suppose you could say if you've a temple nearby? Say of Chauntea? Lathander? Kelemvor? Siamorphe?" he indicates the wagon and adds "Not all were left unscathed by the road."

When the cart, or at least the elves, are close enough for the watchmen to see their faces and converse with them comfortably, Ercard will say "Luna, Phynn, I think we're far enough for you to double-back and see if you can track them."

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ettin in the Playground

Phynn

As Phynn approaches with the cart, he listens to Ercard interact with the guard. As he suggests he and Luna return to the scene of the ambush he nods his head and turns to Myrl. "Mr. Myrl, I assume you'll be okay from here?"

He then looks to Luna, (Elven) Are you ready, Little Kitten, or do you need to rest?"

25. - Top - End - #205

DruidGirl

Luna

Luna smiles, "I think that is our plan." She wanted these murders brought to justice as soon as possible and before they hurt the hand maiden, [Elvish]"I'm ready, we can ride back and hopefully establish a trail." She was already intent on doing what the group wanted. [E]"Though we may want to wait until morning to follow it."
    Last edited by ncpunkin; 2016-01-03 at 09:34 PM.

26. - Top - End - #206

Roderick Smit

The grizzled veteran hails back, "Troubles? Is that Ole Myrl I see? That silvered mare finally give out on you?"

When asked about temples, "No temples here, people pray on their own under their own roofs."

Ryle Ward
    The hound man next o him seems eager and on edge when Ercard mentions troubles on the road, "Orcs?!" As she shouts the young man's voice cracks, indicative of his maturing state. Roderick shoots him a look becoming get the boy to be quiet.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

Ercard

"Ogres" says Ercard. "they pierced Bessy's flank with a spear before Lady Trista and Zaar convinced them that we were not the easy pickings they desired, but there was other trouble on the road, and we don't think it was orcs exactly."

He sweeps his gaze over the two of them. His eyes settle on the younger a moment before he speaks "Militia? Do Glister guards not garrison here?"

28. - Top - End - #208

Roderick Smit

The grizzled veteran eyes light up when Ogres are mentioned, "Ogres? You're lucky to be alive, not many survive such encounters. Trouble?"

When asked about Hulburg garrisoning in Gordondale, Roderick expression hardens as if it was a sore spot, "Aye, they do. Hulburg has sent Sir Rawley and six of their Shieldsworn in response to our requests for aid..." his sentence ends hanging as if he doesn't want to say more to strangers. "Our guard has been forced to double due to recent Orc Raids."

Spoiler
    Show

Edit: Sir Rawley and the Shieldsworn are from Hulburg, not Glister.

Last edited by Zman; 2016-01-05 at 09:41 PM.

29. - Top - End - #209

DruidGirl

Luna

Luna would waste little time as she approaches the others with Phynn. Their gear ready to go back out, "Remember to look towards the sky in the morning. The clouds will point the direction we are tracking." Luna moves over to Phynn and transform into a horse. She shoots Zaar a glare, Don't even think about it.

Once Phynn is on Luna would inhale a little, Okay, Phynn hold on. She was full speed in no time. The knowledge that they only had a hour to get back, driving her forward.

Spoiler
    Show
    I guess I am going to be tiring myself out Dashing the entire way.
    Last edited by ncpunkin; 2016-01-04 at 12:28 PM.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ettin in the Playground

Phynn

Once Luna has shifted, Phynn mounts and positions himself to be the least burden for Luna, but where he can hold on. "We'll see you guys soon. Don't delay. We don't know what we're getting into. (Elven) Let's fly, Luna."