New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Kill the Lich! IC

Kill the Lich!

Despite it being the dead of night, the castle remains alit, every corner and crevasse illuminated by golden torches whispering white smoke. The throne room is immaculate, every stone, marble pillar, and banner placed perfectly. The red rug leads you to look up the center of the room, to the throne, itself humble before the statues of previous rulers behind it, magically lit to always seem like daytime. You and your fellow adventurers are assembled before the magnificent throne. A figure sits on it, the same who had you summoned here. King Falstyr III himself.
    Spoiler: The King
    Show

by Grosnez at DeviantArt

Spoiler: The Throne Room
    Show

You verify the rumors of the King's celestial heritage with your own eyes.
    "Good. You have shown. Perhaps now this dire threat shall be dealt with." His tone is simultaneously mixed with relief and worry. "We face the greatest threat the Empire has seen thus far. A lich stirs in the northron realms, in the Endless Vales. He marches south, here, to Kanderis. This abomination has enslaved the corpses of whatever man, woman, child, or monster he could find, and sends them upon their living brethren as I speak. We have no way of knowing his true numbers, but my scouts have claimed countless numbers. Not only that, but he has servants here in the city, in the heart of the realm, Kanderis. Prophecy has foretold of the coming of this fiend, and that the very world will be consumed, should he succeed. I have summoned you here to aid me and my kingdom in defeating him; to kill the lich!"

Before the ruler stand three of his advisors.
    On the left steps forward a thin elven man, his beautiful face marred by a deep gash from the center of his chin to just above the eye patch on his right eye. His wild orange hair is tied in a knot at the back of his head. He gives an elaborate bow as he introduces himself, "Tennevan, eyes of the kingdom for his Highness."

The middle figure steps forward, and gives a slight nod. He is clad in a practical set of platemail, save for the golden filigree and some Elven writing. The human has short, jet black hair, and a hard, weathered face. "Greetin's. Name's Bellicus."

Third, a woman walks forward. White sigils circle her head, and similar glyphs are etched over all of her exposed skin. Attached to her white and azure robes are numerous books, journals, potions, and scrolls. A raven sits perched on her left shoulder. "Illuminator Camila. A pleasure."

"These will be your liasons in our war against the lich, each leading a different aspect. Tennevan has caught wind of spies and undead in the wake of civilization, informing the lich of the Empire. Bellicus is to lead our combat efforts as General. Camila was the one to uncover part of the prophecy itself, and is on the trail for more pieces."

If you choose to accept my plea for aid in this dire time of need, and of course a lucrative reward, stand with who you think you will be able to assist most."

The three advisors walk to a side of the room near an elaborate map of the region.
    Spoiler: Map
    Show
    Last edited by Psilulz; 2015-12-15 at 03:13 AM.
    Many thanks to Derjuin for my awesome alhoon avatar!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Kill the Lich! IC

Treorri, who stays close to the shadows for the moment, speaks up: "I will lend aid however I can to defeat this...monster." He pauses for a moment, deep in thought, before continuing: "Can I assume that searching for more pieces of the prophecy shall involve some manner of dungeon delving? I believe my skills may be useful for such an endeavor."
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2015-12-15 at 03:58 AM.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Marielle moves from the side of the throne room and, standing straight before the king, drops a stiff, precise bow. More a sharp nod of the head. Her hand curls around the hilt of the rapier on her belt, then abruptly moves over to the haft of the morningstar beside it. The tiny movement gives rise to a tiny metallic cling.

"Marielle Cadenza, Your Highness." she says quietly. "Servant of The Fury. I thank you and yours-" a half-turn to face the advisors. Another short nod. "-for this commission. I would count it most vexing were I not to be consulted on the issue of not getting murdered by Undead. Standards."

Her mouth seals shut suddenly, as though not sure what to say next. Then she nods again to the king. "I'll go where I am needed. Wherever that is." Her voice is a little slower and husky than before. "Where that is-" a quick snap of the head to side without turning her body. Turning her eye on the rest of the group. "Where that is is where the others choose least. So. The event. Allow me to wait until others have chosen. Or maybe until they have chosen me."

She steps toward to the map with the advisors. Looking very straight, very expressionless, and very clueless. "Thank you for explaining, Your Highness." she adds with a final nod toward the throne. "You look wonderful."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

And so Handser stood before King Falstyr himself in his grand throne room. To say that he was not nervous would be a falsehood, and he felt a flutter as he stood before the righteous monarch.

"Handser Jezzail, at your highness' service," he spoke as he bowed respectfully. "I have come to pledge my shield and my fist, through which flows the bane of undead, to destroy this Lich and put those he has disturbed at rest."

Rising, he turns to Bellicus. "I wish to enter the fight against the hordes that march and do what I can to stop their advance before they destroy the land more. To that end, I will follow our armed efforts led by our general, unless you see my talents as better suited to assist Tennevan or Illuminator Camilla, your highness."
    Click Here

Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Noctis scratches his head and lets out a soft sigh. His plate mail clinking as he shifts his stance.

"I believe my talents would be most suited to assist you, Illuminator Camila. My sword will be at your side.

May we find a way to avert this disaster and protect the kingdom, together."

Noctis looks at the others assembled here, sizing them up and wondering what kind of company he had been called into.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aristalis walks up and does a small bow to the king. My name is Aristalis I will gladly help in combat no matter the numbers I will always keep on fighting so put me where the fighting is thickest and I will lead you to glory He finishes with another bow.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Eyeing the other adventurers called to the court, Gru'unther is glad to see that yes, he is the tallest, and yes, his armor is the crimson-est.
    Taller and bulkier than most others of his kind, he keeps a broad stance to assert his presence, despite being dwarfed by the size and regality of the hall. His scarred skin tells a different story from his clean armor, with slash and gash marks lining his skin anywhere his breastplate didn't cover.

Sauntering up next to Bellicus, Gru'unther lets out a hearty laugh and toothy grin as he slaps Bellicus's back, armor clanging with armor.

"Ha! A chance to kill my enemies again and get paid for it? Gru'unther reporting in!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

The wizard, now appearing in the form of a normal human, looked around himself, then, after some of his companions talked, said: "I'm not sure where my arcane prowess can be more useful, but I'm pretty sure It won't be on the frontlines..."
    Does this poster have a sign?

9. - Top - End - #9

OldWizardGuy

You see Tennevan looking a little worried as he quietly scans through those present. Or maybe he's always worried. Still, the lack of volunteers is telling.
    Secret rolls commencing.
    Bellicus grins as Handser addresses him. "Wit' me, then." 16
    He waves Aristalis over, as well. "I'll be sure to get you plenty of action." 11
    When Gru'unther smacks him on the back, Bellicus coughs. It's just once, and he shoots a chagrined glance at the King. His Majesty seems not to notice.15

Camilla is much more reserved, nodding once to Treorri, then gesturing to her side.13
    When Noctis volunteers, it seems she's mentally checking a list. 14

HRH Falstyr III looks down upon you all, not yet needing to say more. His presence does weigh on you, lending some urgency to your decision.
    Last edited by Acanous; 2015-12-15 at 06:38 PM.
    "You want to see how a Human dies? at ramming speed."

10. - Top - End - #10

Marielle's eyes--or, at least, the one eye visible from behind her peek-a-bangs--looks over the others, both decided and undecided, with a roving stare. Then her left gauntlet clings on her rapier hilt and she suddenly looks to the floor.

"As a scholar, I can hold a book and read what's there to read. As a dungeon-delver, I can cure a wound, pound a door, and stab soft things through. Same as any."

Her eye(s) come back up. And focus on the black-haired general. "No shortage for the frontlines. To fight against the walking dead. But fighting against the walking dead. Just leads to more walking dead. Unless certain arrangements are made. I can make such. Marshal Bellicus-"

A sharp nod and a clank of heels. "If you will have me; I'll be delighted to serve under you in any capacity". And then her eye goes blank, as though something has just occurred to her. And then there's another couple of nods. "Yes, yes. Just as I said."

11. - Top - End - #11

OldWizardGuy

Bellicus waves you over to his side. He turns to the King, and salutes. "yer Majesty, that's my needs met. If there's any to spare, I can always use more hands... but I can get results wit' this."(1d20+4)[8]

12. - Top - End - #12

Chimera

Luran is a tall, pale elf with skin tinted a vague pearl-grey. He stands properly on the carpet with his wide-brimmed leather hat removed when he bows, leaving his silver-white hair to flow down to the sides. Handsome even by elven standards, his face might draw eyes, but his gaze is subtly unnerving, and (to any who would know normal elven eye color) his eyes are an unnatural tone, violet with golden flecks hidden within. He looks up to the king with a friendly smile once his bow is complete and waits for the others to speak as they do, as if waiting to see where they plan to be. As he looks between them, the most perceptive might note that his shadow doesn't follow his movements, standing straight across the floor.

Deciding now, he speaks with deliberation, in a silky voice at a deeper tone than one might expect from his frail frame. "I shall accompany Tennevan or Camila; my talents might be utilized best somewhere other than the front lines, perhaps as a vanguard..."
    Last edited by Defiantnight; 2015-12-15 at 07:58 PM.
    The best way to get information isn't to ask a question, it is to post the wrong information and wait for someone to correct you (often angrily).

Spoiler: Internets
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Acanous View Post
    You see Tennevan looking a little worried as he quietly scans through those present. Or maybe he's always worried. Still, the lack of volunteers is telling.
    Secret rolls commencing.
    Bellicus grins as Handser addresses him. "Wit' me, then." 16
    He waves Aristalis over, as well. "I'll be sure to get you plenty of action." 11
    When Gru'unther smacks him on the back, Bellicus coughs. It's just once, and he shoots a chagrined glance at the King. His Majesty seems not to notice.15

Camilla is much more reserved, nodding once to Treorri, then gesturing to her side.13
    When Noctis volunteers, it seems she's mentally checking a list. 14

HRH Falstyr III looks down upon you all, not yet needing to say more. His presence does weigh on you, lending some urgency to your decision.
    Aristalis follows bellicus How many are we looking at? And when can we be there to start saving lives?

14. - Top - End - #14

Marielle's eye continues to flick from the Orc, to the Man, to the Warforged. Her mouth sets a little as she looks on Aristalis, and her eye narrows.

Then as Luren speaks; she actually turns her head and looks puzzled. "...Vanguard. Not at the front.." she says softly, as if to herself, then snaps her attention back to Bellicus.

"Marshal". She says. "What do we know of the Lich's power? Is he Servant, or Scholar, or Source? If he's raising everyone. Man, woman, child. Well-". She touches her hand to hair and chin with a quick motion, briefly exposing the mess of scar tissue that makes up most of the left side of her face.

"Well. That is generally a waste of resources. He is either frighteningly stupid or stupidly frightening."

15. - Top - End - #15

OldWizardGuy

Bellicus gives a somber shake of the head. "Right now, we're reactin'. We don't know if this monster is the head of the snake or just the part we can see, that's what we're countin' on Tennevan for. Us, we're about savin' lives, protectin' strongholds. Breaking any supply lines we find and cuttin' down their numbers."[roll0]

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

A young woman clad in colorful traveling clothes, standing somewhere in the back, raises a hand. Those who turn to notice her see the red streaks in her raven black hair shimmer as she steps forward. Once she's in full view of the three advisers, she gives a small bow. "Hello, m'lord. Hello, collected many. I am Nisha, she of the colorful flames." She gives a few more small bows, then draws a single, special torch from her pack with a flourish. "You may have heard some small tale of me." She purses her lips slightly and a small lick of flame leaves her mouth, lighting the torch. With a flourish, she then turns it and begins to swallow the flames. The flames enter her mouth, and then she removes the torch to find it extinguished. She gives a deep bow and a twirl of the torch afterwards, smiling as she rises.

Once she has finished her short demonstration, Nisha turns to the collected adventurers. "I have come on the bequest of someone dear to me. I feel it is in her steps I must follow. As such, I feel she would beg me to seek the intrigues, to question those whose loyalties may not be so clear. Tennevan, was it?" She gives a wink to the elf. "Perhaps I can be of some service to you."
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2015-12-16 at 01:53 PM.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

17. - Top - End - #17

Chimera

Luran gives the preformer a quiet golf clap in response to the fire-eating. His shadow moves similarly, for once.
    The best way to get information isn't to ask a question, it is to post the wrong information and wait for someone to correct you (often angrily).

Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Noctis shifts uncomfortably, not one for such flourish, especially considering the gravity of the king's message. His hard facial features show a slight grimace, which is no different than previously, but he says nothing, as the performance itself was rather impressive. He stands just shorter than average height for a human, and his face is beginning to show a few wrinkles; signs of his age.

For those who look carefully upon him, they see he is garbed in full gear. Although his plate mail shows signs of having seen many skirmishes, it is still well kept. It bears the emblem of a fanged hound, and is engraved with a unique pattern. A black, silken cloak drapes over the armor's pauldrons. Despite the cloak and armor, it is apparent that he is well built.

If prompted, Noctis will move to Camila's side, indicating his choice. Otherwise, he remains in place, being sure to keep his gaze lower than the king's as a sign of respect for the king's station.

19. - Top - End - #19

Tennevan claps quickly, but remains composed, each rap of his hands exuding enthusiasm. It is obvious that he has extensive training in the art of clapping. "What a splendid performance, Nisha! Your parents would be proud knowing you performed in front of the king. I would be a fool to pass the company of one such as yourself."

Bellicus ponits at Noctis, "You. I'd recognize an 'Ell'ound anywhere. Worked wit' 'em plenty in the war." He says this all with a wide grin on his face, as if he was meeting an old friend. "Surely yer back for more fightin'?" He seems hopeful that you'll join him, although you can feel the eyes of the other two on you now that Bellicus has brought attention to you.
    Many thanks to Derjuin for my awesome alhoon avatar!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Up till now Dobble, a red haired gnome of middle age who would seem to belong more in a shop than in a fight, save for the chain shirt and crossbow at his side, has remained fairly quite and still, occasionally murmuring to the huge white and black badger upon which he sits. Now he looks up seeming to have finally come to a decision.

"Your highness, as I have no desire to once again go to the front of a war, and Madam Grivine here dearly wishes to get out of the city for once, I would serve under Illuminator Camila if she will have me."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

Clad in a simple breastplate, though made of the silver steel that was Mithral, and with a simple sword strapped to his side. Valaranex, or Valar for short. Wasn’t the most eye drawing of individuals... which honestly was how he prefered it. In the spotlight, in the eyes of others... that was when his heritage played up the most. That is when Valar had the most issues keeping the dark side under control.

As it was, even just hearing about the lucrative reward made it rumble in greed... the shadow raising its head in interest, forcing Valar to close his eyes, taking a deep breath to calm himself, to lull the darkness back to sleep... once it settled down once more, the paladin opened his eyes, and saw that most had taken up their places. Sweeping round, he counted up. Whilst a few were undecided, most had take their place. Three for Tennevan and Camila, with Bellicus having four... still it was never any choice really where he was going to end up.

Glad that there was some split at lease, Valar joined the largest group around the solider, introducing himself formally. “Valaranex, Harmonius Knight and Initiate of Milil reporting for duty.” A Paladin, one who worshiped the god of music and could inspire others with the power of music, dance and voice. What other role would Valar play but a fighter?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psilulz View Post
    Bellicus ponits at Noctis, "You. I'd recognize an 'Ell'ound anywhere. Worked wit' 'em plenty in the war." He says this all with a wide grin on his face, as if he was meeting an old friend. "Surely yer back for more fightin'?" He seems hopeful that you'll join him, although you can feel the eyes of the other two on you now that Bellicus has brought attention to you.
    Noctis turns toward Bellicus, secretly pleased to be recognized, but bothered by the memories of being addressed as a Hellhound. Noctis takes a moment to consider and says "It is an honor to be recognized by a renowned general such as yourself. However, I have a personal failing for which I must redeem myself. One that can not be atoned through more fighting. I must graciously decline your invitation, I will not go back on my word, I have pledged my service to Illuminator Camila, and that is the path I shall follow."

He moves steadily to Camila's group, his heavy steel-clad feat ringing out through the hall with measured steps.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

"I would not be displeased that he has elected to join the Illuminator. They may need someone of his prowess should they go into the field. You will not be left wanting with those of us who have come to you, general.". Handser speaks to Bellicus. While it would have been nice to have Noctis in the fight, Handser would not argue if he had sworn himself to his own path. Bellicus had all of the good adventurers he could get.
    Click Here

Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

The Dragonborn who was once of Orc Blood steps forward. "Grenak Fairscale, born Fairhair. Scholar and Sage of the Paragnostic Assembly. I am at your service, your Majesty. It would be my utmost pleasure to assist Madam Camila with this prophesy." He steps forward to join her group, wracking his brain for anything he might have already learned on the subject.

Spoiler
    Show
    There are a few different categories this might fall under, based on the Knowledge descriptions. I'm just going to roll once and let you decide what fits best.

(1d20)[1]

Arcana (ancient mysteries, cryptic phrases) - +18
    History (obvious) - +15
    Local (legends) - +9
    Psionics (ancient mysteries, cryptic phrases) - +9

I'm also making a Lore check as a Cloistered Cleric. (1d20+11)[26]
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

25. - Top - End - #25

Chimera

Luran steps forwards to join Camila's company, his cloak rustling. Having taken his wide-brimmed hat off for the time, he now slides it back onto his head to shade his face, revealing a deep amethyst set in a gold frame inlaid into the crown. The toned chest hidden beneath his black silk shirtfront shifts metallically as he moves, revealing the outline is actually a thiny veiled chain shirt, while his smooth leather pauldrons creak quietly when he adjusts his shoulders.

Overall, he does not look like someone the king would normally invite into the castle at all, clad in leather and black; it's hard to tell where the leather ends and the fingerless long gloves he wears begin, but the fingernail-sized amethyst gems inlaid in the knuckles of said gloves and his belt offset the dark pallet a tad, if it's any consolation.
    Last edited by Defiantnight; 2015-12-20 at 09:30 PM.

Show

26. - Top - End - #26

Marielle seems to stare at Bellicus a good long while, then blinks and nods.

"Your pardon; Marshal. I did not wish to sound forward." Her eye flickers to Aristalis again, and away. "We are scouts then, as much as we are defenders. In that case we should make a point of not getting killed even more than usual."

She takes a step closer to Aristalis."I stand with the Metal. We should get going as soon as possible. Unless there's something else we all need to know?"

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Sylvar nods sharply, in a bow of sorts, and steps forward.

"My skills are best put to use at tracking or hunting. My speciality, as your highness surely knows, is dealing with undead."

Spoiler: Links & GitP Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by fyleisch View Post
    It's come to my attention that some people don't know how to pronounce the name of the deity Fharlanghn. It's simple though - you begin with a Ff- sound, then flap your mouth at random as sounds come out. Continue for 2-90 seconds, depending on devoutness and saliva levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    I think this is the most civil battle between Good and Evil I've ever seen...
    10 Commandments of Op./Practical Op.
    3.5 WBL/GP
    Cleric Domains