New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default The Free City of Tandem (IC)

The Free City of Tandem stands as a shining jewel of Al-Jura, having remained free from the conquests of their neighbors or powers abroad however that does not mean that the streets of the fair city are without strife or conflict. Jingoistic rhetoric from various factions on the Senate have long permeated many of the City's actions both abroad and within their own walls and with an ever increasing influx of foriegners moving into Barrow Town has only ramped up these concerns which of late have gained the support of various powerful noble families. Such concerns are hardly the day to day worries of the common man, such folk more worried about where the next copper might come from. However The City of Tandem is not a single story, every person walking its streets having their own path and their own tale to tell.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Free City of Tandem (IC)

A small being shrouded in a deep, midnight blue cloak wanders through the doors of The Blue Dragon. Standing a bit below three feet tall, perhaps he was a smallish gnome or a runt of a halfling. However, if one got a good look at his face, he didn't look like either of those. Perhaps more like an albino elf child or something. Maybe it didn't really matter what he was, so long as he didn't cause trouble. Or maybe to certain people it might. Regardless, to any of the regulars around here, he was starting to be remembered seeing as he was becoming somewhat of a regular himself. He called himself Rylie.

Rylie looked around, though it was hard with all the people in the way due to his height. He didn't know many people here, and he didn't really open up to those he did. There was only one person Rylie trusted. He climbed up a bar stool and sat down, looking for those familiar green and black robes... or perhaps his friend would catch him off guard and wear something completely different. That was often a pleasant surprise.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

The Blue Dragon
    1st of Brightdew
    Afternoon

The Blue Dragon was a maelstrom of sound and bodies as it always was, food and drink moving between tables and steady lines leading off towards other sections of the azure buildings making the usual din over what ever drunken singers had found themselves on the list of entertainment for the night and between it all the proprietor of the establishment moved like any great dancer. Flitting between large groups and single people, Alsandair seemed to know right where to step and exactly what was needed as drinks and tickets flew from seemingly nowhere though a trained eye knew that a flock of workers were never far from the man as he made his rounds. Eventually he makes his way to the bar, sliding in beside the short man with a soft clicking sound. "Well now. What do I owe the pleasure Mr. Rylie? Are you looking for work or are you just here for a drink?"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

The Blue Dragon
    1st of Brightdew
    Afternoon

A drink? Maybe a drink would be nice. Though Rylie seemed to have a particularly refined taste when it came to alcohols. Your average beer and ale didn't smell or taste appealing to him. It was a revulsion which luckily kept him sober. Perhaps Alsandair meant something like tea? Yes of course. Rylie couldn't help but note that the proprietor of this establishment always seemed to know everybody.

Lost in thought, Rylie replied after a few seconds. "Ah, yes! Now that you mention it, I do have a craving for tea. That stuff from Nihon is pretty good." His voice was small, much like a child's. One would expect as much given his size. Yet his words were articulate, his speech was clear.

Rylie took out a pouch and began to carefully sift through it, gingerly plucking out a few copper pieces, one at a time, and placing them on the counter before him. He hoped Alsandair would bring some sugar for the tea too. If not, he'd probably just have to ask. But wait... tea, sugar... this wasn't why Rylie came here...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

The Blue Dragon
    1st of Brightdew
    Afternoon

Alsandair takes a seat which seems to suddenly clear out behind him, leaning on the counter with a playful smirk. "Yes, I hear that too. It will be along shortly. But this isn't why you're here." he states not a question as he taps thin fingers along the stained wood of the bar as he regards the Pixie with his usual catlike gaze, rather used to the antics of his sometimes employee. "How can I help you today? Looking for work? I'm sure I can get you something in short order."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

The Blue Dragon
    1st of Brightdew
    Afternoon

Rylie smiles and says, "That's right. Well, it's related to work." He can't help but chuckle. "Um actually, Alsandair, I wanted to ask you... have you ever been in the steamways?" His expression suddenly became worried.

Meanwhile throughout the city...

Rumor has quickly spread that much of the Sapphire Watch has lost its steam power. Normally this is due to maintenances or maybe some small problems which are fixed shortly. However, seeing as this has gone on for several hours, the nobles have become quite cranky and demanded an immediate fix to the problem. Third-party organizations have been contacted for a quicker solution.

And over at First Mercs...

Anyone who seems moderately competent will be recommended to fix the steam problem. Decent pay, and there's most likely risk involved.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    Meanwhile throughout the city...

Rumor has quickly spread that much of the Sapphire Watch has lost its steam power. Normally this is due to maintenances or maybe some small problems which are fixed shortly. However, seeing as this has gone on for several hours, the nobles have become quite cranky and demanded an immediate fix to the problem. Third-party organizations have been contacted for a quicker solution.
    At the Drunk Unicorn, Scarlet is just finishing a performance. She bows to the applause of the crowd, then settles in for a drink. She perks her ears up, though, upon hearing mutterings that the steam power has gone off. Really now? What went wrong this time?
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

The Drunk Unicorn
    1st of Brightdew
    Afternoon

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    At the Drunk Unicorn, Scarlet is just finishing a performance. She bows to the applause of the crowd, then settles in for a drink. She perks her ears up, though, upon hearing mutterings that the steam power has gone off. Really now? What went wrong this time?
    A scruffy man with liquor on his breath feels more than obliged to respond to the question. "Pshidunno, they says first the steam went out, so they shent some guys down there to fix it, then when the problem still weren't fixed they shent shomore down to check on em and there shtill aint no word yet."

He hiccups and adds, "They probably all deshided to go get a drink inshtead... you oughto have a drink too, little lady. Can I buy ya one?" He grins at Scarlet, who must be at least a foot taller than him.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

I won't turn down a drink. But nothing too strong-I get the feeling there's something interesting going on, and I'd hate to miss it because I got wasted, she replies, smiling down at him.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

The Drunk Unicorn
    1st of Brightdew
    Afternoon

The man smiles and orders a bottle of bourban, filling up a shot glass and spilling some on the table before it ultimately overflows. Then he takes a swig from the bottle himself.

"Yeeup thish ish tha good shtuff right here. What are ya going ta go an watch em or something? That don't shound like no fun."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Steam Distribution Centre #5
    1st of Brightdew
    Afternoon

Ivan had been trying his hardest not to sweat from the moment he'd stepped into the building. It didn't help much that the assistant leading the way was almost running, either. He was sped along the grated scaffolding past boiling kettles, bubbling pipes, puffing valves and sooted shovellers towards the wooden cubical box that loomed over the lot. From down here, it looked almost like a mix between a roost and a bizarrely huge blackened mailbox.

“.... and just collapsed. We're so terribly worried! So terrible worried! What, with all the stress and all. Our poor overseer. Poor, poor overseer! Thank the heavens you're here now. Right this way!”

The assistant threw open the office door, and inside, under a coat of black feathers, sat a heavy heaving oligarch who was being slowly buried by message-containing-cannisters that sprung up from pneumatic tubes.

The drama and chest clutching made Ivan sigh inwardly, but he put on his best professional smile and put down his bag.

Good afternoon, I am Doctor Ralegov. Could you say 'Aaaa' for me please?

Ivan knew well enough to play the charade along. He was going to be here for a while.
    As he zoned out slightly while going through the motions, he did wonder what was up with all the messages. Distribution centres didn't normally get this many, did they?

Fortunately, there is nothing wrong with your heart. Now if you'll breathe with me.

In.. And Out.. And In.. And Out..

Good.

Now, conditions like these are often triggered by stress. So I'd like for you to calm down as much as possible. Is there anything your assistants can do to alleviate your stress right now?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

The Blue Dragon
    1st of Brightdew
    Afternoon

Rylie smiles and says, "That's right. Well, it's related to work." He can't help but chuckle. "Um actually, Alsandair, I wanted to ask you... have you ever been in the steamways?" His expression suddenly became worried.
    Alsandair frowns slightly, shaking his head as one of the many servers appear with a cup of steaming tea and a plate of sugar and lemons for the Pixie. "I'm afraid I have not, it wouldn't do well for a businessman to be seen skulking around down there. People might talk Rylie. Why do you ask however?"

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

1st of Brightdew
    Afternoon

The overseer breathes in as deeply as he can and releases it all in a rush, overdramatizing each breath. It doesn't seem to be helping.

"Water... water..." he gasps.

"Here!" the assistant says, splashing a bucket of water onto his boss.

The boss seems to have calmed, snapping out of it, until he locks eyes with the assistant. "You.. imbecile..!" the overseer growls, lurching toward his lackey and placing his hands around his neck.

"Your fault! This is all your fault!"

"Boss, please! I didn't *ack* know the line was at critical pressure! *gek* "

The Blue Dragon

Rylie is delighted by the fresh tea and lemons. Momentarily it was a distraction. A good one. He picked up a lemon, savoring its scent a bit before squeezing it in and answering. "Well..." he began, not sure where to begin explaining this, "So I was looking around the city some more... I came across a place called.. um.. First Burks or something like that? It was interesting because what it sounded like at first is maybe they did similar things as you? Not that I don't like you, it's just it was different is all..."

Rylie sighs and begins to suck and chew on the lemon. He puts the rind on the saucer. "Actually, it's very different. Nothing like it is here. No food, no drink, no music. So they asked me a bunch of questions which I may or may not have answered truthfully, and they asked me to write my name on some papers, and then they asked me to meet some guy somewhere and help fix some steam in some steamways, but I don't know anything about steam, machines, or these steamways, and I think they're trying to kill me like they said in one of their papers."

The pixie seems relieved to have gotten that whole situation off his chest. He then stirs a bunch of sugar in his tea and adds, "Good thing I didn't sign that one."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

1st of Brightdew
    Afternoon

Ivan raises an eyebrow at scene. He looks like he might want to say something, but he thinks better of it and instead takes his stethoscope from his neck and neatly starts to pack his bag.

"Well, I think that'll be all then. Good day, Sir," he says with a smile that takes him some effort. "And again, remaining calm is really the best thing for your health right now." He straightens out his coat and starts walking towards the exit. "Oh by the way, if I may ask: did you hire any outside parties to expedite repairs?"

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

1st of Brightdew
    Afternoon

The overseer ceases his assault momentarily. "Huh, outside parties?"

His assistant chimes in again. "Why yes! When the first responders failed to fix the problem and the second responders did not report in, that's when I sent word to First Mercs via pneumatic tube. It's also around the time we started receiving threats from the noble houses. The pneumatic tubes are a wonder, and it's good that they operate-"

"First Mercs... First Mercs?! Why you..!!" and the strangling continues.

"Stop! I was trying to *gik* help! What's wrong with First Mercs? *hurk* "

"They're going to charge us an arm and a leg! This is coming out of my holiday bonus! And yours!"

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

1st of Brightdew
    Afternoon

The surgeon turns a little paler and gives the assistant a worried look.

"Was the hospital informed when the second team didn't report in?"

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

1st of Brightdew
    Afternoon

The overseer collapses once again, heaving at his assistant's feet.

"N-not yet.. it's hard to say what is going on down there or even if medical help is needed. Oh, but our poor poor overseer! I had to get him help right away! I'm so glad it's only stress though ...I think he's simply had too much to handle today. His kid's been sick so I sent his family a big pot of pigeon soup. Then he got sick too,"

"I thought it was chicken," the man barely intelligibly gurgles.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

The Blue Dragon

With a clatter, the establishment door was swung open, casting the figure of a straw-hat wearing woman in silouette against the warm taverns light. Sakuya slid her feet forward on shakey legs, her pace slow and deliberate. The woman paid no mind to the other patrons, who mostly seemed content to return the favor. A few closest to her backed away, letting her through as she plodded forward towards the bar. Her clothing was stained with brown, the smell of fresh blood adding to the general musk which accompanied the foreigner wherever she ventured.

Step by step, Sakuya closed in on her destination, taking claim to an unoccupied stool. Her wooden sword hung loosly from her hip, and had to be adjusted a few times before it would rest comfortably. Only then did she unfasten her hat, putting it aside onto the bar. A gnarled mop of black hair tumbled down her face, free'd from the confines which had ensnared it. The tangled locks covered much of the womans face, though not enough that her features were concealed from any party who had enough interest to inspect with more care. Nihon, that part was obvious enough. Even if her attire had not given it away, her eyes were impossible to mistake for anything else. And there was evidence that the blood which covered much of her front had not come from one of her patients. Sakuya's right eye was bruised, and beginning to swell shut. Her nose had been plugged with a scap of cloth, the white fabric turned a more striking crimson as blood dripped into it. There were smaller cuts along her jaw. All the injures looked fairly recent, no more than an hour or two, and they'd not yet been tended.

Still, Sakuya carried on. Folding her arms infront of her on the bar, she made them into a makeshift pillow, upon which she lowered her head and rested her brow. And there she stayed for several moments, unmoving, before at last raising a hand with two fingers extended, signaling to the bartender to pour her a round.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground

The Drunk Unicorn

Avyrll's hands got nervous without work, which is why he was at the Drunk Unicorn, holding a spiced nut-brown ale in those hands. Listening to Scarlet sing didn't hurt either. A few brews down and after watching her set, he was almost relaxed, and that made him even more jittery. He hadn't had a good job in a few weeks, spent his time casing some joints and prepping for a score just out of reach.

He'd left the Mask and Salvation in a safe place. He'd been imagining the damn thing was talking to him again, offering him jobs that just couldn't exist, and there wasn't any point in carrying Salvation around unless he was planning to spill blood. No, not today; today was for beer and music and wondering how he was going to feed himself if this drought continued.

The music stopped, and Avy watched Scarlet leave the stage. He sighed. Ought to buy her a drink sometime, he thought to himself, but she probably doesn't have much time for a thief.

"A gentleman adventurer", someone whispered in his ear, and he whipped his head around to look for the speaker that sounded like the voice he was sure the Mask didn't use. He shook his head and ordered another ale when the rumbling about the steam failure started to spread.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

The Blue Dragon

Rylie is delighted by the fresh tea and lemons. Momentarily it was a distraction. A good one. He picked up a lemon, savoring its scent a bit before squeezing it in and answering. "Well..." he began, not sure where to begin explaining this, "So I was looking around the city some more... I came across a place called.. um.. First Burks or something like that? It was interesting because what it sounded like at first is maybe they did similar things as you? Not that I don't like you, it's just it was different is all..."

Rylie sighs and begins to suck and chew on the lemon. He puts the rind on the saucer. "Actually, it's very different. Nothing like it is here. No food, no drink, no music. So they asked me a bunch of questions which I may or may not have answered truthfully, and they asked me to write my name on some papers, and then they asked me to meet some guy somewhere and help fix some steam in some steamways, but I don't know anything about steam, machines, or these steamways, and I think they're trying to kill me like they said in one of their papers."

The pixie seems relieved to have gotten that whole situation off his chest. He then stirs a bunch of sugar in his tea and adds, [COLOR="#1b5d3e"]"Good thing I didn't sign that one."[/COLOR
    "I think perhaps I should be present when ever you sign something to make sure you're not selling your freedom away." Alsandair mutters softly, shaking his head slowly. "Sadly you've got me at a bit of a disadvantage. I don't know anything about steam unless it's a steam room...different principles...and I don't think mucking around in the grease and mud is going to do me much good. If it's something beyond a repair job you let me know but otherwise I think you've got it handled."

Quote Originally Posted by NineOfSpades View Post
    The Blue Dragon

With a clatter, the establishment door was swung open, casting the figure of a straw-hat wearing woman in silouette against the warm taverns light. Sakuya slid her feet forward on shakey legs, her pace slow and deliberate. The woman paid no mind to the other patrons, who mostly seemed content to return the favor. A few closest to her backed away, letting her through as she plodded forward towards the bar. Her clothing was stained with brown, the smell of fresh blood adding to the general musk which accompanied the foreigner wherever she ventured.

Step by step, Sakuya closed in on her destination, taking claim to an unoccupied stool. Her wooden sword hung loosly from her hip, and had to be adjusted a few times before it would rest comfortably. Only then did she unfasten her hat, putting it aside onto the bar. A gnarled mop of black hair tumbled down her face, free'd from the confines which had ensnared it. The tangled locks covered much of the womans face, though not enough that her features were concealed from any party who had enough interest to inspect with more care. Nihon, that part was obvious enough. Even if her attire had not given it away, her eyes were impossible to mistake for anything else. And there was evidence that the blood which covered much of her front had not come from one of her patients. Sakuya's right eye was bruised, and beginning to swell shut. Her nose had been plugged with a scap of cloth, the white fabric turned a more striking crimson as blood dripped into it. There were smaller cuts along her jaw. All the injures looked fairly recent, no more than an hour or two, and they'd not yet been tended.

Still, Sakuya carried on. Folding her arms infront of her on the bar, she made them into a makeshift pillow, upon which she lowered her head and rested her brow. And there she stayed for several moments, unmoving, before at last raising a hand with two fingers extended, signaling to the bartender to pour her a round.
    The bartender is not hard to flag down even with the usual chaos of the Blue Dragon though also as usual it's not long before the gadfly owner is at hand. "You look like something the cat chewed up and spit out. Would you like a bath and a room for the night?" Alsandair asks gently, taking a seat next to the beat up swordswoman with a friendly smile.
    Last edited by Razade; 2016-01-05 at 03:40 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

The Blue Dragon

Rylie sighs. "Right, right... or perhaps I should have tried to read what was written down as carefully as I could." He takes a sip of tea, deciding it needed yet more sugar. He mixes more in, handling the spoon with extreme caution. "I just got this weird feeling, so I was trying to seem like I knew what I was doing... and well... I don't think I told them that I knew anything about repairing or steam contraptions, so I don't know why they wanted me to come... it certainly can't be just a repair job, right?"

Maybe it wouldn't have helped his situation to come here, but Rylie at least wanted to ask his friend for advice. Of course, he also knew Alsandair was a busy person. The elf left, presumably to continue mingling with his patrons or whatever else it is he does here, and Rylie assumed also maybe to think more on the matter.

Drinking more tea, he smiled satisfied with the flavor, and let the cup warm his hands. Only later did he realize that Alsandair had sat down with another person Rylie knew. Well, sort of. For now he figured he would just finish his tea and watch from a distance.