New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Default An Old Question has been answered: Rich Burlew is NOT a hack.

Yesterday, a friend of mine discovered a terrifying scientific announcement made in the middle of 2015.

Acid-breathing Sharks are apparently real.

Apparently, the chaos and wonder that is real life made them first. Not exactly as imagined, but still.

The jury is out on acid-breathing piranhas that show up in avoidable traps for calendar landscapes however.

This had been another daily Science Bulletin.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: An Old Question has been answered: Rich Burlew is NOT a hack.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Nappa View Post
    Yesterday, a friend of mine discovered a terrifying scientific announcement made in the middle of 2015.

Acid-breathing Sharks are apparently real.

Apparently, the chaos and wonder that is real life made them first. Not exactly as imagined, but still.
    Note leading the article says:
    Scientists astonished to see hardy hammerheads 'hanging out' in conditions which would kill a human

Actually, they should not be astonished. Day in and day out hammerheads hang out in conditions which would kill a human: underwater all day having to use gills to "breath" at all.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2016-01-09 at 02:53 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Scientists astonished to see hardy hammerheads 'hanging out' in conditions which would kill a human

Actually, they should not be astonished. Day in and day out hammerheads hang out in conditions which would kill a human: underwater all day having to use gills to "breath" at all.
    Now really scaring would be the air-breathing sharks.
    Ever wondered how many games are mentioned in the comic? I have listed them all in a geeklist: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/2...es-order-stick

4. - Top - End - #4

That's really funny.
    I like semicolons; they make me feel smart.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Don't forget that it's not just acid, it's scalding-hot acid inside a volcano. So not just an acidborne shark, but frighteningly close to a lavaborne shark.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

6. - Top - End - #6

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Don't forget that it's not just acid, it's scalding-hot acid inside a volcano. So not just an acidborne shark, but frighteningly close to a lavaborne shark.
    And we didn't even need magic to do it.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Wow. Dungeonscape was already one of my favorite D&D books, but it just got pushed up in my personal rankings

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    ...That is seriously uncanny.

That video footage is pretty freaking unreal, too. The world is a strange, wonderful place, isn't it?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah. In addition, the website is Mirror, kind of garbage tabloid if my memories from UK are to be trusted. Let's see, from cursory reading, things that are wrong: A) volcanoes don't spew acid. What they do is release sulphur that forms very weak acidic solution in salty water before being mixed away by currents. Really, go to mineral spa springs and you can be "acid immune" too. B) volcanoes are hot, yes, but the caldera is pretty deep and that dense fluid (that, surprise surprise, seas are made of) on top of it happens to be excellent thermal conductor. No, really, it take immense amount of energy to heat water just 1 degree C, and salty water is if anything denser and has lower viscosity and resistance, losing heat to surrounding cold sea even faster. Seeing shark skin (and especially eyes) aren't especially immune to protein denaturation I bet they swim in water no warmer than tropical sea in sunny summer day. Which seems to be about right, seeing volcano is located in tropics, so this is probably normal or at worst tolerable environment for any sea animal.

I also like them misquoting scientists talking about it. "Now I want to spend years trying to study that and why that is the case" makes it sound like something astonishing, but what they meant was studying food chain and what kind of food the sharks preferred, seeing we know so little about them. If you want truly extreme environment, shallow volcano is easily beaten by hydrothermal vent, specifically 'black smokers', something so extreme it really emits superheated, supercritical acids at pressure that would instantly crush 20 cm thick hardened steel hull of nuclear submarine, never mind a mere shark. Sadly, you can't make pretty pictures there so it's ignored by media despite really strange, alien life forms more resembling something you can find on Venus than on Earth living there...

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Humanist View Post
    Now really scaring would be the air-breathing sharks.
    Can I kindly inquire what it is you think fish are breathing, then?
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post

Can I kindly inquire what it is you think fish are breathing, then?
    Oxygen, not air.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

A) volcanoes don't spew acid. What they do is release sulphur that forms very weak acidic solution in salty water before being mixed away by currents. Really, go to mineral spa springs and you can be "acid immune" too.
    Can you breath the acid water in mineral spa springs?
    "Really? The premature villain gloat? I'm a failure as a parent." - Loki, OotS #1012
    "The good news is that I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing." - Blackwing, OotS #1020

12. - Top - End - #12

MonkGuy

Yeah. In addition, the website is Mirror, kind of garbage tabloid if my memories from UK are to be trusted. Let's see, from cursory reading, things that are wrong:
    A) volcanoes don't spew acid.
    B) volcanoes are hot, yes, but the caldera is pretty deep
    I also like them misquoting scientists talking about it.
    Don't forget the "Artist's impression of a volcano-dwelling shark" that's just a photo of a shark photoshopped with a photo of a volcanic eruption.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

First of all, the picture in that article is so moronic that it's almost hilarious. Almost.

Secondly, though other people have already shredded this for the complete tosh it is, I thought I'd take a jab at it also -- specifically, why would a shark that lives in extremely hot water (if it did) "terrifying"?

Either the shark is "terrifying" because it's attacking one, or it isn't. The temperature of water it lives in is moot; a shark living in boiling water wouldn't be any more terrifying, one would think, than one in room temperature water.

After all, the last I checked, humans don't defend themselves from shark attack by heating the water around them, so the shark is no more or less alarming than any other.

I almost forgot how utterly annoying I find tabloid-style articles like these. Ugh.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Psion View Post
    First of all, the picture in that article is so moronic that it's almost hilarious. Almost.

Secondly, though other people have already shredded this for the complete tosh it is, I thought I'd take a jab at it also -- specifically, why would a shark that lives in extremely hot water (if it did) "terrifying"?

Either the shark is "terrifying" because it's attacking one, or it isn't. The temperature of water it lives in is moot; a shark living in boiling water wouldn't be any more terrifying, one would think, than one in room temperature water.

After all, the last I checked, humans don't defend themselves from shark attack by heating the water around them, so the shark is no more or less alarming than any other.

I almost forgot how utterly annoying I find tabloid-style articles like these. Ugh.
    If anything they are less terrifying as the extremely hot water would probably be more likely to kill you than a shark would.

Spoiler: Giant in the Playground Hearthstone Champion
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Nappa View Post
    And we didn't even need magic to do it.
    Just because you understand it doesn't mean it's not magic.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

yes, well, as others have mentioned, it's "dilute acidic solution that is much less acidic than many drinks", not "acidic to the point of dealing 10d6 damage in one round". Actually, 10d6 acid damage per round is a gross exaggeration anyway, unless we're talking about superacids - but that's stuff that you can only make in a specialized lab.

Anyway, that shark is missing a laser beam on its head; that's somewhat disappointing
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Here you go guys. This is a much better article on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by King of Nowere View Post
    Actually, 10d6 acid damage per round is a gross exaggeration anyway, unless we're talking about superacids - but that's stuff that you can only make in a specialized lab.
    Just curious, is a superacid canceled out by a Super Bass?
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2016-01-28 at 11:10 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    Just curious, is a superacid canceled out by a Super Bass?
    I enjoyed the joke, until I discovered it was a Nicki Minaj song. Now I feel nothing but a yearning for vengeance.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2