New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 51 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast

Thread: Confessions

1. - Top - End - #601
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Confessions

I actually enjoy listening to softer bands like Famous last words and Bring me the horizon, even though all my friends know me for being a huge deathcore fan.

2. - Top - End - #602
    Troll in the Playground

I think that I have already said this, but I don't like 99% of alternative rock.

I say 99% because in every music genre, I will find at least one song that I like
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    — The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

3. - Top - End - #603
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm kinda the same way. I basically classify music into two genres. Good music and bad music.

If it's creative, unique, and personal, I usually classify it as good.

If it's insipid, uninspired or vulgar, I dump it in the bad bin.

Quote Originally Posted by 8BitNinja View Post
    I think that I have already said this, but I don't like 99% of alternative rock.

I say 99% because in every music genre, I will find at least one song that I like
    -Something clever and witty, but not too obscure or irrelevant. Also, a nice reference or two would be nice.

4. - Top - End - #604
    Colossus in the Playground

In spite of having seen that a million times, I still find it hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    That sounds like a story, if you ever feel like telling it.
    I have half a mind but I'm conflicted as to where it would belong.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

5. - Top - End - #605
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, depending on the tone, it could be Random Banter or Personal Woes. Or you can fictionalize it in Arts & Crafts.

turns out i haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate social events with lots of strangers
    what a surprise

6. - Top - End - #606
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NoodleDude View Post
    I'm kinda the same way. I basically classify music into two genres. Good music and bad music.

If it's creative, unique, and personal, I usually classify it as good.

If it's insipid, uninspired or vulgar, I dump it in the bad bin.
    Oh.
    If that's how it's divided than I'm pretty sure I like bad music.

I confess that I often divide music into two kinds as well:

Classical and Pop.

I further confess that I mostly do so in order to annoy my fellow METAL and "Avant Garde" music fans (I like many other types as well) who just hate having their chosen music described as "pop".
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

7. - Top - End - #607

Ever since I learned what Poutine was, I've been trying to figure out how the Canadians managed to come up with "french fries, cheese curds, and gravy" before Americans did.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

8. - Top - End - #608
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Ever since I learned what Poutine was, I've been trying to figure out how the Canadians managed to come up with "french fries, cheese curds, and gravy" before Americans did.
    We needed the fat to survive our winters, clearly.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

9. - Top - End - #609
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    We didn't want to debut it until we figured out how to deep fry gravy.
    I used to live in a world of terrible beauty, and then the beauty left.
    Dioxazine purple.

10. - Top - End - #610
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Oh.

Classical and Pop.

I further confess that I mostly do so in order to annoy my fellow METAL and "Avant Garde" music fans (I like many other types as well) who just hate having their chosen music described as "pop".
    Ha Ha HA!!!

Well, since "Pop" probably is short for "Popular", anything that's NOT "Classical" would be "Pop". Am I right?

[Insert lengthy and entirely self-serving explanation about what "Classical" really means. Make sure it comes off as pompous and condescending to maximize the chance of offending someone.]
    -Something clever and witty, but not too obscure or irrelevant. Also, a nice reference or two would be nice.

11. - Top - End - #611
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

turns out i haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate social events with lots of strangers
    what a surprise
    Me too. I try to turn strangers into friends, but it never works.

We should be friends?!

12. - Top - End - #612
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by goto124 View Post
    Me too. I try to turn strangers into friends, but it never works.

We should be friends?!
    Yee! We can sit in a room together and read books and never make eye contact! Won't it be grand? (Well, okay, I can do things other than that with people who are friends, but it's the principle that counts.)

13. - Top - End - #613
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    In spite of having seen that a million times, I still find it hilarious.
    Then you have something in common with me

And my mom
    And my dad
    And my brothers

Oh.

Classical and Pop.

Like the good man NoodleDude said, anything not classical is pop. But now to ask the question

What do you define as classical?

Also, I must confess that I have my own mental voice and image of everyone I encountered on the forums. 2D8HP, you keep shifting (in my mind) from a forty year old man who is pretty normal to a cranky old man who wants everything to be the way it was back before Korea.

And I like the second one better
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave

14. - Top - End - #614
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Yee! We can sit in a room together and read books and never make eye contact! Won't it be grand? (Well, okay, I can do things other than that with people who are friends, but it's the principle that counts.)
    Read books? I'll be on my handphone, talking to people whose faces I have never seen!

This is fun!

15. - Top - End - #615
    Titan in the Playground

Like the good man NoodleDude said, anything not classical is pop. But now to ask the question

What do you define as classical?
    But then, what is classical? And what is pop? Ignoring the genre delineations within "classical" music (just as we are with "popular" music, I presume) and using both as a synechdoche, we have to remember that many classical musicians were writing for a popular audience: they were the popular musicians of their day. And, for that matter, many artists we'd call "pop" don't write for "popular" audiences. Highbrow pop music repels the common market and attracts exactly the same degree of snobbery as any classical piece.

I don't think there's much inherent difference in form. Popular music tends towards the short-form but long-form pop is hardly unheard of, and there's plenty of short-form classical music. Pop tends towards the small group, but classical music has its quartets and quintets which are no larger than a pop group, and pop music does occasionally veer into the orchestral. Both can have either sung components or be fully instrumental. There are often differences in the instruments used, but not always - although I must admit I can't immediately think of any classical piece featuring an electric guitar. But then the electric guitar is hardly a defining feature of pop music either. With some subgenres of pop - most notably the fully electronic, and arguably hip-hop, it's easier to see a distinction, but even then the evolution and the overlap is such it's hard to categorise definitively.

The only real difference I can identify is largely one of marketing. With classical music the composer is, generally speaking, the star. The piece "is" its sheet music and any performance of it is merely an interpretation of the sheet music. With popular music the focus tends to be on the performer and the recording. But, again, I think that's to an extent deceptive, as much as anything because the recording technology didn't exist at the time most of the classical music canon was written. Those recordings that do exist are taken seriously by officionados and enthusiasts and are compared with each other in the same way that pop music generates debate over cover versions. Good conductors, vocalists and instrumentalists are recognised for it. Popular composers often receive less attention, but then we're still in an age where the performer and composer can be one and the same - which was also the case for many classical pieces on first release. Once there's a wholesale dying-off of the great popular music composer-performers I think we'll see more attention paid to who created the piece as well as who first performed it.

I think the most obvious problems with trying to draw a sharp distinction between classical and pop come when one tries to decide which category jazz fits into. It doesn't fit entirely comfortably in either category, with whether it looks more classical or popular depending almost entirely on what angle you're looking at it from. Given the huge variety of styles and genres within the western musical tradition, the more I think about it the more I'm minded to think that it's all just a continuum and, if we're taking "classical" as the generic term, then pop music is really just a genre of classical music.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

16. - Top - End - #616
    Ettin in the Playground

I'll see your social media and raise you catching up on my Steam library. Not that there's much there, but playing them beats hanging out on my laptop hoping to start being productive when it isn't happening.

17. - Top - End - #617
    Titan in the Playground

One time, a distant cousin stayed with us for a month after I'd gotten to know her on Skype. We spent the entire month … chatting on Skype.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

18. - Top - End - #618
    Titan in the Playground

Also, I must confess that I have my own mental voice and image of everyone I encountered on the forums. 2D8HP, you keep shifting (in my mind) from a forty year old man who is pretty normal to a cranky old man who wants everything to be the way it was back before Korea.

Before Korea? It was with the Congess elected in '48 (that Truman called "Do nothing"), that things went south! PM me how and I'll rant about it at length!

Thanks!
    My real life co-workers say the similar things, ("You don't even have cable? No Net Flicks? Do you just visit the 21st century?").
    I confess that I will have my 48th birthday before the end of this month, and yes as a kid in the 1970's my parents were annoyed that I greatly prefered my grandparents Andrew Sisters records to their Bob Dylan records, however at 13 I learned to like the Ramones, which really annoyed those dangblast hippies! Now in my dotage (your only as old as you feel and by Tuesdays I feel real, real old!), on my drive to work, I usually listen to the "Jazz" station, (KCSM). On the drive home I usually listen to the "Classical" station (KDFC), but sometimes I put in Bo Diddley, Cap Calloway, Rod Stewart or the Rolling Stones into the tape deck.
    Sort of related, within the last few months I was going to pay for gas at the cheap station in Oakland, when a slow moving figure standing next to a 1970's Buick got in my way. He was wearing a "trenchcoat" and a "trilby hat" (like the ones the Ska fans at my high school wore in the 80's), my thoughts went something like, "Another damn youngster frontin' like he's on "Mad-Men", why's he moving so slow?". Then I saw he's face. He was a very old man who was wearing the same style clothes he's worn for 50 years! I felt instant shame!
    Dagnabbit.
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"

19. - Top - End - #619
    Troll in the Playground

Before Korea? It was with the Congess elected in '48 (that Truman called "Do nothing"), that things went south! PM me how and I'll rant about it at length!

Thanks!
    My real life co-workers say the similar things, ("You don't even have cable? No Net Flicks? Do you just visit the 21st century?").
    I confess that I will have my 48th birthday before the end of this month, and yes as a kid in the 1970's my parents were annoyed that I greatly prefered my grandparents Andrew Sisters records to their Bob Dylan records, however at 13 I learned to like the Ramones, which really annoyed those dangblast hippies! Now in my dotage (your only as old as you feel and by Tuesdays I feel real, real old!), on my drive to work, I usually listen to the "Jazz" station, (KCSM). On the drive home I usually listen to the "Classical" station (KDFC), but sometimes I put in Bo Diddley, Cap Calloway, Rod Stewart or the Rolling Stones into the tape deck.
    Sort of related, within the last few months I was going to pay for gas at the cheap station in Oakland, when a slow moving figure standing next to a 1970's Buick got in my way. He was wearing a "trenchcoat" and a "trilby hat" (like the ones the Ska fans at my high school wore in the 80's), my thoughts went something like, "Another damn youngster frontin' like he's on "Mad-Men", why's he moving so slow?". Then I saw he's face. He was a very old man who was wearing the same style clothes he's worn for 50 years! I felt instant shame!
    Dagnabbit.
    1. Before Korea means anything before Korea, you could even say Ancient Egypt (which I personally would not want to live in)

2. I'm glad we have someone here who openly talks about his tape deck

20. - Top - End - #620

Then what's my mental voice and image?
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

21. - Top - End - #621
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    Then what's my mental voice and image?
    You're mental image is a normal guy with glasses, and the voice is similar to the YouTuber leafyishere's voice.

I'm sorry, it's just that I haven't seen enough of your posts to fully form a personality for you
    Last edited by 8BitNinja; 2016-06-13 at 12:18 AM.

22. - Top - End - #622
    Troll in the Playground

You're mental image is a normal guy with glasses
    Pft... Ask a thousand people what normal is, and you'll get at least a thousand different answers.

Besides, no one with glasses is "just" normal.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

23. - Top - End - #623
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Pft... Ask a thousand people what normal is, and you'll get at least a thousand different answers.

Besides, no one with glasses is "just" normal.
    Like I said, I'm still trying to think of one for Illven, it was more of a cop out answer.

But I have one for you. For some reason, it's a more realistic looking version of your avatar picture (Protoman or Zero from Megaman?). Your voice to me sounds like the MaleCondescending voicetype from Skyrim (no, I am not saying you are condescending, that's just what the voicetype is called.

24. - Top - End - #624

I love the high you get from pressing down the pedal on a highway. Just about the only reason I'd consider moving to Germany are the no-limit roads.

Like I said, I'm still trying to think of one for Illven, it was more of a cop out answer.

But I have one for you. For some reason, it's a more realistic looking version of your avatar picture (Protoman or Zero from Megaman?). Your voice to me sounds like the MaleCondescending voicetype from Skyrim (no, I am not saying you are condescending, that's just what the voicetype is called.
    You should make a thread: 8BitNinja's 8BitImpressions.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

25. - Top - End - #625
    Ogre in the Playground

As demonstrated by the comics.
    Really? Maybe I should look into those then. I knew they were different but not really any of the specifics.

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    I have never played Skyrim, or any Elder Scrolls game.
    Neither have I. And I'm really not sure why, either. When Morrowind first came out, I thought it sounded awesome but I didn't have an Xbox to play it. I was a latecomer to the Xbox 360, and by the time I got mine Oblivion was old news and I just never got around to Skyrim.

26. - Top - End - #626
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    You should make a thread: 8BitNinja's 8BitImpressions.
    I'll get right on it.

How would the impressions be carried out?

27. - Top - End - #627
    Troll in the Playground

I'll get right on it.

How would the impressions be carried out?
    I imagine people would either say something pithy, or you pose a question at the end of each "impression" for the next person to answer?

28. - Top - End - #628
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    I imagine people would either say something pithy, or you pose a question at the end of each "impression" for the next person to answer?
    Alright, I'll make it sometime then

29. - Top - End - #629
    Titan in the Playground

In the spirit of "Yondah lies da castle of my foddah", I find mixing Hollywood "medieval" English with modernish accents and slang hilarious! i.e "verily it sucketh to be ye", "Hark! t'is totally a thing m'Lord"! etc.
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history

30. - Top - End - #630
    Troll in the Playground

In the spirit of "Yondah lies da castle of my foddah", I find mixing Hollywood "medieval" English with modernish accents and slang hilarious! i.e "verily it sucketh to be ye", "Hark! t'is totally a thing m'Lord"! etc.
    I hate to be this guy, but...

It's not mideval English. Old English used in the dark and middle ages (yes, there is a difference for those who don't know) is totally different from what you are talking about, which is Shakespearean English. Have you ever read Beowulf in it's original text? I haven't, because I would have no idea what it said. That is the difference between what you are talking about (Shakespeare's English) and Old English.

I'm sorry if I come across as trying to be a smart aleck, but I just wanted to mention this.
    Last edited by 8BitNinja; 2016-06-15 at 11:55 PM.