New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Killer DM

1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Killer DM

Quote Originally Posted by Typewriter View Post
    A complaint I've heard, and personally share, is that the '15 minute adventuring day' really messes up immersion.
    In 5e, you can't take more than one long rest per 24 hours. While this doesn't prevent a 15-minute adventure day, it does mean that you're literally only getting 15 minutes per DAY, not 15 minutes every 8 hours. And it increases likelihood of something untoward happening while you're "resting."

On the other hand, you can get as many short rests as you want to take, as long as you have the time and nothing interrupts them.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Typewriter View Post
    This conversation is pedantic beyond belief. The initial comment by Ninja_Prawn was disregarding the OPs problems with the encounter by stating that 60 HP on CR 1/2 creatures was 'not a lot'. People have shown, repeatedly, that the most definitive source of monster stats don't have creatures with that much HP until CR 3 or higher. The comment about it 'not being a lot' was dismissive and not at all relevant to the conversation at hand. Dragging out the conversation in an attempt to make a point completely unrelated to the conversation at hand with '60 hp is cr 1/2 territory' is a joke because the fact of the matter is that 99% of the time it's not. The fact that you found a blurb to 'prove' your point doesn't actually make the comment any more relevant to the problems the OP is having with his DM. This is the sort of ridiculous, 'Well RAW says...' conversation prevalent in the 3.5 sub that kills any sort of reasonable discussion.

When the big book of monsters doesn't have a single creature under CR 3 with anything near 60 HP it's ridiculous to imply that 60 HP is CR 1/2 territory in a meaningful way, and beyond ridiculous - flying far beyond pointless - in the context of a conversation like this one.
    You have an excellent point about it being tangential. This will be my last post on the matter.

Please don't mistake trying to give helpful information and responding to direct questions/accusations as pedantry. I chimed in only to answer a direct question, which I did and provided my source. What followed was a series of (rather aggressive) misconceptions about monster design which I addressed with each of my replies. That last one did have some snark, admittedly. It is frustrating to have someone get mad at you when the core of their dispute is the same argument that they quoted you as saying. My overall point is simply that Trasilor's issue might not be 2-dimensional.

That said, if anyone has been frustrated by what I've said, I do sincerely apologize. I visit these boards for fun discussion, not to make anyone angry. Carry on.
    Attacking the darkness since 2009.

Spoiler: Quotes I like
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal regarding What would a Cat Lord want? View Post
    She wants the renegade Red Dot brought to her court in chains.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwykersotz regarding randomly rolling edgelord backstories View Post
    Huh...Apparently I'm Agony Blood Blood, Half-orc Shadow Sorcerer. I killed a Dragons. I'm Chaotic Good, probably racist.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    In 5e, you can't take more than one long rest per 24 hours. While this doesn't prevent a 15-minute adventure day, it does mean that you're literally only getting 15 minutes per DAY, not 15 minutes every 8 hours. And it increases likelihood of something untoward happening while you're "resting."

On the other hand, you can get as many short rests as you want to take, as long as you have the time and nothing interrupts them.
    Agreed on all points - however - if the DM is intentionally structuring combats in such a way that they drain the party of all their long-rest abilities then the players are likely to try and stop for the day for fear of encountering another encounter like that one. Short rest might cut it, but it also might not. If something happens while they're resting then hopefully one of three things is happening:

1. The DM had other smaller encounters planned that short rest abilities would have been fine for and the players need to trust the DM a bit more
    2. The party handled the encounter poorly and should have been better prepared and the DM is going to punish them for that by pushing the issue despite the lesser resources
    3. The DM isn't balancing things properly

Quote Originally Posted by pwykersotz View Post
    You have an excellent point about it being tangential. This will be my last post on the matter.

Please don't mistake trying to give helpful information and responding to direct questions/accusations as pedantry. I chimed in only to answer a direct question, which I did and provided my source. What followed was a series of (rather aggressive) misconceptions about monster design which I addressed with each of my replies. That last one did have some snark, admittedly. It is frustrating to have someone get mad at you when the core of their dispute is the same argument that they quoted you as saying. My overall point is simply that Trasilor's issue might not be 2-dimensional.

That said, if anyone has been frustrated by what I've said, I do sincerely apologize. I visit these boards for fun discussion, not to make anyone angry. Carry on.
    I... think I came across more hostile than I probably should have. In my defense I was more annoyed/frustrated by Ninjas initial dismissive comments towards the OP (especially with something like '60 HP isn't a lot) and it seemed like you were defending the argument. Sorry.