New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Bellator Arcana: The Eldritch Knight's guide

Quote Originally Posted by Syjyl4488 View Post
    I was thinking good at 4th lvl and squat nimbleness at 6th but other than that I am open to suggestions
    I would advise against picking great weapon master as a gnome. Gnomes are Small, and Small creatures have disadvantage on attacks using Heavy weapons, which is required for the -5/+10 benefit of GWM.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Dwarf in the Playground

Where is that listed? Phb, what page?

3. - Top - End - #423
    Orc in the Playground

Where is that listed? Phb, what page?
    Page 147, under the Heavy property.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Dwarf in the Playground

Okay...well then how about a high elf? Nets me the same stats, a few other benefits. I was trying to think of a great sword user that is powerful, quick, and durable. By 8th level he’d be fleshed out. Great weapon master at 4th, heavy armor master at 6th, and blade mastery at 8th...keeping in tune with the theme with someone who is adept at offense and defense, without being a sword & board...

5. - Top - End - #425
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Bellator Arcanus: The Eldritch Knight's guide

Quote Originally Posted by Specter View Post
    Eladrin: Pretty much like the High Elf, except for Misty Step 1/day, which is timelessly good and gives another option of 2nd-level spell at level 8.
    Years later, a small nitpick: Fey Step is 1/short or long rest. Shadow Elves/Shadar-Kai's Blessing of the Raven Queen is only 1/day, which is probably why they also have Necrotic Resistance. I realise the Tome of Foes wasn't published the last time the OP was edited, but this was true even in the UA version (and now Fey Step has some interesting minor effects added).

6. - Top - End - #426

Default Re: Bellator Arcanus: The Eldritch Knight's guide

Quote Originally Posted by Wlerin View Post
    Years later, a small nitpick: Fey Step is 1/short or long rest. Shadow Elves/Shadar-Kai's Blessing of the Raven Queen is only 1/day, which is probably why they also have Necrotic Resistance. I realise the Tome of Foes wasn't published the last time the OP was edited, but this was true even in the UA version (and now Fey Step has some interesting minor effects added).
    Also Fey Step cannot be counterspelled because it's not a spell. That's an interesting difference from Misty Step.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

I am looking for some advice about building a rock gnome ek...considering going the 2H route, with great weapon fighting, and gwm. With standard array I would set it up with 15 str, 14 dex, 14 con, 14 int, 10 wis, and 8 cha. Any suggestions featwise/spell wise?
    For spells enlarge/reduce might be good. Let you avoid the disadvantage.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Halfling in the Playground

How would a EK with 6 levels in giant soul work out? Frost seems like it could be interesting having AoA up and using warmagic to refresh it each turn.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGirl

Firstly, thanks for the guide.

What I have gleaned from the rest of the thread is that you want War Caster at level 4 if you go sword and board.

Say that is my plan for a variant human starting with the level one feat of Magic Initiate (Wizard). My first level spell would be Find Familiar.

I was contemplating which would be the starting cantrips I want? Booming Blade or Green Flame Blade? Other picks?
    I suppose I can't change these when I gain a level like the cantrips you gain later, so I would be stuck with them for the remainder of the char?

I am kinda new to the system, so please excuse me if there has been a discussion in here like this but right now its loads of information.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by TheStugLife View Post
    Firstly, thanks for the guide.

What I have gleaned from the rest of the thread is that you want War Caster at level 4 if you go sword and board.

Say that is my plan for a variant human starting with the level one feat of Magic Initiate (Wizard). My first level spell would be Find Familiar.

I was contemplating which would be the starting cantrips I want? Booming Blade or Green Flame Blade? Other picks?
    I suppose I can't change these when I gain a level like the cantrips you gain later, so I would be stuck with them for the remainder of the char?

I am kinda new to the system, so please excuse me if there has been a discussion in here like this but right now its loads of information.
    If you're going sword and shield and intending to get War Caster, it will not be a waste go get Booming Blade and probably also Green Flame Blade.

Booming Blade is your go-to choice for opportunity attacks with War Caster (or standard attacks for things you want to keep still, of course).

Green Flame Blade is your best damage option for a while if you can get it to hit an adjacent target, especially once you have War Magic and get to throw an extra basic attack as a follow up.

Those two will never be a wasteful pick.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thanks for the guide!

Suggest adding War Wizard to the guide. My be the best synergy full-caster for EK. Free bonus to AC/Saves as reaction if you focus on melee, Int to Init.

Came across this while planning out my grappler for Tomb of Annihilation (EK5/W1). I chose Lightning Lure as one of my cantrips, HA what fun! I'm scorpion keeping stuff off the squishes. Would not recommend it for non-grapplers though.

Getting War Wizard bonuses next level, can't wait to see the synergy. Then Enlarge at 8th level:)

My DM is pretty open about UA content, so using the Unarmed fighting style, Brawny feat (Athletics expertise) with Tavern Brawler (action economy) and it's fun.

Spoiler: Current Build if Anyone Cares
    Show

Really good stat rolls, so I could take feat at F4.
    Level 6: EK 5, War Wizard 1, about to hit 7 and WarWiz2.
    Feats: Tavern Brawler, Brawny(UA)
    Fighting Style: Unarmed (UA)
    Next ASIs F6/W4: either +2 Int/+2Con, +2 Int/Mage-Slayer, or if I get a Headband of Int +2 Con/Mage Slayer

12. - Top - End - #432
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaile View Post
    Thanks for the guide!
    My DM is pretty open about UA content, so using the Unarmed fighting style, Brawny feat (Athletics expertise) with Tavern Brawler (action economy) and it's fun.
    That's a fun idea! I've been mulling around an EK with some UA content. The most recent UA has a sweet feat "Fey Touched" that gives +1 Int and a once/long rest cast of Misty Step and a level one Enchantment or Divination spell (it also adds them to your spells known). Running an EK with an extra level one and two slot is already a nice bonus, but getting access to Hex or Hunter's Mark (as your 1st level spell from Fey Touched) gives the EK a great damage option, especially combined with Action surge.
    Custom avatar by me - based on my Half-Orc Eldritch Knight, Keth d'Lordran
    Spoiler
    Show

Tabletop RPGs
    Started with D&D 3.5, these days I mostly play 5E and occationally Call of C'thulu. Currently running two D&D 5E games over roll20

Magic: the Gathering
    Started with Return to Ravnica/Innistrad. I'll draft every once in a while but EDH is my favorite format by far.
    Decks: Lord Windgrace, Neyith of the Dire Hunt, Rielle the Everwise

Other Geeky Hobbies
    Ridley/Lucina main SSBU

13. - Top - End - #433
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tesla_pasta View Post
    That's a fun idea! I've been mulling around an EK with some UA content. The most recent UA has a sweet feat "Fey Touched" that gives +1 Int and a once/long rest cast of Misty Step and a level one Enchantment or Divination spell (it also adds them to your spells known). Running an EK with an extra level one and two slot is already a nice bonus, but getting access to Hex or Hunter's Mark (as your 1st level spell from Fey Touched) gives the EK a great damage option, especially combined with Action surge.
    Wow that is one great feat. Lots of those from that UA are good. They have an expertise feat as well.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hex is nice from Fey Touched, as hitting their Strength or Dex makes you a pretty awesome grappler alongside the extra damage you can cause, no expertise needed. Alongside a tiny bit of out of combat utility (occasionally hitting Cha for talky dominance, etc) against people you have no intention of hitting (yet).
    Last edited by sambojin; 2020-07-17 at 08:21 PM.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

I have a stupid question:

What the heck does BLTOC stand for?

I am playing 5e with a group and picked EK on a whim. High Elf, Dual Wield/TWF, DEX build with Stealth. Kind of a rogue-y feel to the guy. Had no idea what I was doing and probably wouldn't have dual-wielded otherwise, although I like it for RP.

Dual rapiers which are silvered. Currently on a quest to find Mithril to create half-plate.

I like the class, though... and I like my character. Just leveled to 9. I see so much potential with the class.

Thanks for this guide. I learned quite a bit!

16. - Top - End - #436
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by wonko View Post
    I have a stupid question:

What the heck does BLTOC stand for?

It's explained in text before it appears for the first time:
    Better Left To Other Casters (BLTOC, from now on)
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2020-07-19 at 06:40 AM.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Pixie in the Playground

I need help... I'm was going to play an EK in my next Curse of Strahd campaign but a week before starting it the DM told me that I cannot substitute Ability Scores for Feats. I was going to do a variation of the "The Destroyer" sample build but since I cant take any feats...what am I supposed to do?!

Btw, Im fairly new to DnD.

Thanks in advance!

18. - Top - End - #438
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyuk View Post
    I need help... I'm was going to play an EK in my next Curse of Strahd campaign but a week before starting it the DM told me that I cannot substitute Ability Scores for Feats. I was going to do a variation of the "The Destroyer" sample build but since I cant take any feats...what am I supposed to do?!

Btw, Im fairly new to DnD.

Thanks in advance!
    Hmmm.... You could still do well with an EK/War Wizard build. I'm playing one now, but haven't had much game time with it.

If you want more tanky/bust damage options that make up for feats, I'd suggest looking at Oath of the Crown Paladin 6/Cha-chaster X. Bless is always nice and you get Channel, fighting style (dueling works w/shield), + a taunt to help make up for the loss of sentinel. After Extra Attack at 5 (or 6) I would go Celestial Warlock or Divine Soul sorcerer the rest of the way. If you roll well for stats, you could do Pally/Cleric putting the higher sat in Wis instead of Cha.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

Metamagic Mod: Eldritch Knights don't gain access to Raise Unthread.
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)