New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments V―On a Saner Forum, We Wouldn't Need this Index

Quote Originally Posted by JustIgnoreMe View Post
    If I remember correctly, the failure of the forum's search function was one of the reasons for the index being created. It's certainly what it was used for during that time.

Times change, of course, but this thread has changed from one that I read regularly because it provided me with useful information, to one that I feel I can pretty much ignore now because it has stopped providing me with useful information. Which is a shame, because I'm not likely to start forum-stalking the Giant's every post on the offchance that one of them tells me something new about OotS.
    As stated, the purpose of the Index is "easy access to direct statements about the Order of the Stick comic from its author, for the purpose of forum discussion." That's not the same thing as tracking every post by the Giant (which, by the way, he specifically requested us not to do).

2. - Top - End - #302
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments V―On a Saner Forum, We Wouldn't Need this Index

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    As stated, the purpose of the Index is "easy access to direct statements about the Order of the Stick comic from its author, for the purpose of forum discussion." That's not the same thing as tracking every post by the Giant (which, by the way, he specifically requested us not to do).
    I don't think that's what he asked; I thought it was the non-posts from other sources about non-OotS subjects. Regardless even when a post wasn't saved it was brought to attention. The difference is there weren't 10 pages of discussion - a new post here meant a new quote somewhere. Now it's more likely to be just some yahoo who won't let something go (and yes, I'm including myself in that observation).

3. - Top - End - #303
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

He has requested this, but I think this gets used too much as a reason to oppose inclusion of particular quotes. My recollection is that the Giant has explicitly said that quotes about OOTS are fine for inclusion. My recollection is that he has also said that if every post he made about other topics were included, it would feel like being stalked and lessen his participation about other topics. I'm aware of one OOTS-related post he didn't want in the index, and he explicitly asked that it be excluded, explaining why.

I'm not aware that the Giant has asked us to limit which OOTS-related quotes are included here (with the one explicit exception noted above).

4. - Top - End - #304
    Colossus in the Playground

Seconded. Rich objected to someone bringing something he said about unrelated-to-OotS media, in the Other Media forum, to this thread. He also called the thread--in its "document everything Rich says about OotS with no hesitation" form--"incredibly useful," and had nothing negative to say about it until someone thought his comments on Avatar: The Last Airbender should be recorded here. He also specifically said:
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    To be clear, if I post it in the OOTS forum, I am fine with it being indexed, regardless of how tangental the topic is. Whether or not it should be indexed is up to you, but you won't bother me by doing so.
    It is very unfortunate that so many people seem to have misparsed what he said as "record as little as you can bring yourselves to."
    Last edited by Kish; 2016-03-28 at 12:36 PM.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Seconded. Rich objected to someone bringing something he said about unrelated-to-OotS media, in the Other Media forum, to this thread. He also called the thread--in its "document everything Rich says about OotS with no hesitation" form--"incredibly useful," and had nothing negative to say about it until someone thought his comments on Avatar: The Last Airbender should be recorded here. He also specifically said: It is very unfortunate that so many people seem to have misparsed what he said as "record as little as you can bring yourselves to."
    I cant remember the last time ive seen that used as an argument to shut down an otherwise accepted quote. Used to supplement other arguments against inclusion sometimes, sure, but never by itself.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

6. - Top - End - #306
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Thanks for posting the quote and confirming my recollection, Kish. Indeed, that quote is even broader than I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I cant remember the last time ive seen that used as an argument to shut down an otherwise accepted quote. Used to supplement other arguments against inclusion sometimes, sure, but never by itself.
    I can't recall an instance where it was used as the sole argument against inclusion of a specific quote. That certainly wasn't why I brought it up (hence my use of "a reason", not "the reason").

But I have seen it used to justify tilting the scale against inclusion, both when talking about specific quotes and when discussing the general philosophy or rules of the thread (and, in fact, was responding to exactly such a use). I think it's irrelevant when discussing specific quotes, and not particularly useful when discussing the broader issues, given the quote Kish posted. If we are discussing a quote in this forum, then I don't think the Giant's comments about not indexing everything should be a reason at all for exclusion. When discussing a quote outside the forum, the "stalking" consideration isn't relevant once it's established that the quote in question is about OOTS.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Re: the game and card game quotes, could they not be combined? Perhaps add one - and any future adaptation questions - as See Also of the other.
    This seems best - I was going to ask about a Video Game when I came to the site, and saw this and didn't ask the question. But it should be more of a single line than two separate posts.

Proposed for inclusion: The Giant's comments on why he won't include a random button.

This is a suggestion that has been made at least three times over the last few years.
    1) http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...=random+button
    2)http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...=random+button
    3) http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...=random+button

The most recent one is today. I went to the index looking for the quote, but it doesn't seem to be there. Probably nobody thought it worth including before. But since this is a question that comes up occasionally, I think it is worth including.
    I agree as well with including this one. Especially as the strip gets older, I thought about this question myself, but waited until I saw someone else put it up.

Wow, this current page is the least thread-relevant in a long time

To get back in topic, let me suggest a new quote: Why some books make for a much bigger PDF file than others.
    I agree with including this as well (though now I REALLY REALLY have to buy the book knowing there is a two page spread of Roy jumping on the Zombie Dragon, no wonder it was always sold out).
    Last edited by Markozeta; 2016-03-28 at 02:43 PM.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmegil View Post
    Thanks for posting the quote and confirming my recollection, Kish. Indeed, that quote is even broader than I remember.

I can't recall an instance where it was used as the sole argument against inclusion of a specific quote. That certainly wasn't why I brought it up (hence my use of "a reason", not "the reason").

But I have seen it used to justify tilting the scale against inclusion, both when talking about specific quotes and when discussing the general philosophy or rules of the thread (and, in fact, was responding to exactly such a use). I think it's irrelevant when discussing specific quotes, and not particularly useful when discussing the broader issues, given the quote Kish posted. If we are discussing a quote in this forum, then I don't think the Giant's comments about not indexing everything should be a reason at all for exclusion. When discussing a quote outside the forum, the "stalking" consideration isn't relevant once it's established that the quote in question is about OOTS.
    Exactly this and what Kish has said. Every time I see someone bring up the 'stalking' thing and the quote is about Order of the Stick, I die a little inside because it's being misapplied so hard.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

Good grief! An actual quote from the Giant? In this thread? I thought this thread was just about voting and arguing these days?
    You forgot bananas and plantains.

Quote Originally Posted by Throknor View Post
    I don't think that's what he asked; I thought it was the non-posts from other sources about non-OotS subjects.
    It was about posts on non-OotS topics in non-OotS sections of this board, actually. Anyway, I'm fairly sure Gwynfrid was contrasting what this thread and an actual feed of all the Giant's posts cwould contain.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    Exactly this and what Kish has said. Every time I see someone bring up the 'stalking' thing and the quote is about Order of the Stick, I die a little inside because it's being misapplied so hard.
    I would indeed prefer if arguments against inclusion were made on their own merits.

...Hm. You know what? This is certainly a recurring thing, so what's everyone think about actually quoting those two posts, in the first post of the Index thread?
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

10. - Top - End - #310
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I'm fine with it, but do we need both? The second one perfectly sums up the sentiment.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

11. - Top - End - #311
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I'm fine with it, but do we need both? The second one perfectly sums up the sentiment.
    I'm not sure....On one hand, the second one does sum up the intent quite succinctly. On the other hand, the first post is the one that conveys the "stalking" feeling, which seems to be the memorable part; including it might do a better job clarifying the specific part that seems to be getting misremembered.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Agreed. The second is much more succinct, without losing much of the intended point. No need to fit both in.

Having said that, im not convinced that including them will actually stop the arguments, since most of them seem to be derived from the idea that we could potentially making Rich uncomfortable rather than what he has/has not actually asked us to do. The second one is definitely better than the first in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    I'm not sure....On one hand, the second one does sum up the intent quite succinctly. On the other hand, the first post is the one that conveys the "stalking" feeling, which seems to be the memorable part; including it might do a better job clarifying the specific part that seems to be getting misremembered.
    If the goal is to try and stave off arguments about Rich having asked us not to stalk him, I think the first quote contributes to that feeling more than takes away from it. The main point of the first one is "This makes me uncomfortable, please stop" rather than "I am perfectly fine as long as you stay in these boundaries."
    Last edited by Keltest; 2016-03-28 at 03:47 PM.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

13. - Top - End - #313
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I think the operative parts that should be included are:

"If it’s not about OOTS and/or it’s not in the OOTS board, I'd ask that it not be in the index."

and

"To be clear, if I post it in the OOTS forum, I am fine with it being indexed, regardless of how tangental the topic is. Whether or not it should be indexed is up to you, but you won't bother me by doing so."

I have no objection to inclusion of the rest of the first post if the second post is included.

14. - Top - End - #314

MindFlayer

Just thought of something: how feasible would it be to have a "most recently added quotes" section? That would draw people's attention to the latest information the thread has found and agreed to add.

It'd make it easier to find new information and give another reason for people to keep coming to the thread. That in turn would lead more people to participate, which would (long term) prevent the thread from stagnating or crumbling under its own weight.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Titan in the Playground

Just thought of something: how feasible would it be to have a "most recently added quotes" section? That would draw people's attention to the latest information the thread has found and agreed to add.

It'd make it easier to find new information and give another reason for people to keep coming to the thread. That in turn would lead more people to participate, which would (long term) prevent the thread from stagnating or crumbling under its own weight.
    You mean...like the "Latest Additions" table in the first post, which is outside of any spoiler tags?

16. - Top - End - #316

The word "stalking" is certainly memorable, but it seems to be actively causing people to remember, not "Rich doesn't want non-OotS things he says in non-OotS places catalogued" but "Rich got really mad at the Index thread!"

Beyond that, I agree with Kalmegil. It's good to have the request that things posted elsewhere that aren't about OotS be recorded for the theoretical future in which people once again start thinking that everyone on this forum should know what Rich thinks of random television shows, and it's vital to have the indication that he doesn't object to anything he does post on this forum being recorded, for a hopeful chance of changing the present.

17. - Top - End - #317

Anyway, I'm fairly sure Gwynfrid was contrasting what this thread and an actual feed of all the Giant's posts cwould contain.
    Correct. I only wanted to respond to the expressed unhappiness that the thread isn't usable as a rolling record of every quote.

About the two quotes in question: I don't think showing them prominently will be particularly useful. In any case, it won't stop any debate.

18. - Top - End - #318

MindFlayer

You mean...like the "Latest Additions" table in the first post, which is outside of any spoiler tags?
    *facepalm* I am literally the dumbest guy in the thread right now. Carry on, nothing to see here. I'll just be over here, looking at the first post.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ogre in the Playground

*facepalm* I am literally the dumbest guy in the thread right now. Carry on, nothing to see here. I'll just be over here, looking at the first post.
    Somewhat extremely off-topic, but I must congratulate you to have chosen the perfect name for the message you posted

Problems with [table]?
    All you want to know about [table]!
    The Order of the Stick
    Kickstarter Reward Collection

Last updated: 2016/08/09, containing:
    9 Crayon Drawings | 21 Stick its | 47 Signature Doodles

Custom Avatar made by the Giant.

Thanks!

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ettin in the Playground

That's how I felt when I was told about the Show All Spoilers button.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    That's how I felt when I was told about the Show All Spoilers button.
    And how I felt when, after years browsing these forums, I learned that you could quote multiple people in your posts.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Titan in the Playground

OK, looks that first one is going to get it.

Why Some PDFs are Larger than Others
    High resolution raster artwork, mostly.
    #1029 03/22/2016 Tentative, appears will be included without vote.

Not seeing a whole lot of movement on Ron Miel's proposal of why there's no random button so far.

Carry on, nothing to see here. I'll just be over here, looking at the first post.
    Do you think the presence of the "Latest Additions" table is clear enough, though? If you think it'd be helpful for it to be more obvious in some fashion, we could certainly consider making it more obvious.
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2016-03-30 at 02:27 PM.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ogre in the Playground

And the proposals for deletion?
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm not sure what service this thread provides better, indexing the Giant's comments or teaching people new things about the forum.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    And the proposals for deletion?
    I wanted to make sure your proposal for addition hadn't been overlooked first; the amount of conversation on your proposals for deletions makes it apparent a lot of people had seen those....

26. - Top - End - #326

Seconded, the "why no random button" thing should be included.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Seconded, the "why no random button" thing should be included.
    In case it was missed earlier, I still throw my support to this.

28. - Top - End - #328

On the random button, I'm with the silver dragon:

Eeeehhhhhh. Seems more about site functionality than about the comic. Convince me otherwise, though, and my support will follow.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

If several people have asked about it over the years, it should be included, IMO. And I've seen several people ask about a random button over the years, so I'm all for including the quote about it. (Heck, it's not even the first time I've seen The Giant respond to a question about a random button, although I guess the previous answer(s) didn't get indexed.)
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ogre in the Playground

On the random button, I'm with the silver dragon:

Originally Posted by Peelee
    Eeeehhhhhh. Seems more about site functionality than about the comic. Convince me otherwise, though, and my support will follow.

What's wrong with including comments about site functionality? It's a topic that comes up all the time.

In fact I propose a new section for site functionality. I can think of several quotes that would fit there, including the new one about pdf size.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold