New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 36 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [RoS] Soldiers of Fortune (IC)

"Somethin's 'bout to happen," Gerric said as Kate approached. He hadn't touched his beer, he'd need every edge he could get in the next few seconds. His hand rested on his axe, as he continued to munch on his bread. "Might want to leave, whoever wants us will have to follow us outside. Much easier to deal with them all when we know who we need to kill. If we fight inside who knows who'll join the fray?"

There were two possibilities, someone recognized him, or the merchant had ears among the guards. Maybe paying the captain? It'd make sense, that'd explain why he didn't even send one guard to give them some official standing. So many questions that will need answered. But that was for later. Now was the time to focus on the fight, always the fight.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Troll in the Playground

Kate

The drunk put his hand on her shoulder to stop her from stepping around him, his voice getting louder as he spoke again - up to the point of almost shouting.

"What, am I not good enuff to drink wit'ya? Too good for common folks like the ones here...?"

Now almost whole tavern was looking at them, some with a grin, some with stern looks, as if the shouting disturbed them from peaceful drinking. Looking around, Kate saw, that most of the guardsmen - the ones who wore the uniforms - were not amused, while most of the riff-raff seemed to be waiting for the spark that ignites the barrel...

As she turned to the man, she noticed his eyes. While he smelled of alcohol, his eyes were sharp.

Nazir

The two men stood right beside the window Nazir looked out through. He recognized one of them - the smaller one. He had seen him with Sinkrin - he wasn't his second-in-command, it was just one of his bootlickers.

They continued to talk, mostly about their patrols and plans for the rest of their evening - the smaller one wanted to go into a brothel, while the burly one had different plans.

"I'm gonna visit the G'd Ends - cap' said he's gonna need us there, since he plans to make that Windsteel guy sweat. Of course, he's not going to be near" he chuckled. "[B]He's gonna be spending the evening in one of the 'finer establishments'. Y'know, his favourite. The one behind Golden Fleece tavern...". There was a roar of laughter. "[B]Now, see? It's stoppin' raining. Wanna go?"

"Hell no - let's wait until it stops completely."

As he ducked to tell his findings to Ruark, he saw something else. The rain was stopping and the fog was approaching - and pretty quickly. It would be on them in less than half hour.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Getting sense of "competence" or fighting provess of the guards would fall under "Style analysis" skill. However, when they are not fighting, it would take long time and good roll to get even basic information.

Gerric

There were enemies all around him. The guardsmen looked at him with stern looks of the 'law-abiding' citizens, the drunk-guy was clearly provoking Kate - and she did not break his jaw in yet. The guard girl was sitting with some fattie, surely trying to sell them. He looked around, and except for Kate and Urukubarr, saw only enemies.

Well, the girl who served their drinks seemed to be quite nice. But that was all.

He already looked to the door, and was quite sure there was some movement outside. A look into the kitchen told him, that there was a back door - but he did not know if it led anywhere better than this.

The tavern had only little space for fighting - most of the tables were too close to each other for comfort. He thought about going upstairs - they could take the stairs and fight with advantage of higher ground... but if the enemy was as numerous as it looked like, it would be to no avail.

He looked at Dreiana, at the back. She wasn't talking, and neither was the fat man. He was looking at them - specifically at Kate, as if he was waiting for something.
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Ettin in the Playground

Now he was actually touching her! Kate imagined that she could feel his sweaty hand through her aketon. She prepared to give him a piece of her mind; But then stopped. Something was wrong. On closer inspection, this supposedly drunken lout seemed a little too lucid. And what about the patrons? It was almost as if they were waiting for something. The pieces clicked into place: This was a trap. The 'drunk' wanted her to lash out. He was fishing for an excuse to get her in trouble. If Kate wasn't careful, it'd be Nazir's turn to bail her out of prison.

Time to put all those etiquette classes to work. Kate schooled her face into a serene mask. She replied with a voice that practically dripped politeness.

"Not at all sir. I've simply had my fill of alcohol for the evening. Your kind offer is appreciated, though. Perhaps some other time."

This man had to tread carefully. Many guards were watching. He couldn't just punch Kate to provoke a fight; Or take his 'friendly' advances too far. He needed her to take the blame for starting the brawl. Well, she wasn't about to give him that opening.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ruark had heard the conversation from his hiding spot as well and he made a motion towards Nazir, a thumb drawn across his throat slowly to indicate killing the guards and a shrug, as if asking a question.

Otherwise he crouched and remained quiet, though his free hand hand found its way to the hilt of his sword and he was rubbing his thumb over the pommel absent-mindedly.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Titan in the Playground

Gerric gave Uruk a nod and pointed to Kate, "We might need to help a bit." Standing up he brushed his hands on his pants. He headed over to Kate and drunk, his mind racing about what they should be doing next.

"Can I help you, friend?" he smiled at the man once he drew close.

Spoiler
    Show

Tactics: (5d10)[9][4][1][5][4](23) RN 6

6. - Top - End - #396
    Ettin in the Playground

Kate greeted Gerric with a casual nod. She brushed his concern aside, as if nothing were amiss.

"No, everything is fine. This gentleman was just offering me a drink. Feel free to wait back at the table. I'll join you shortly."

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ogre in the Playground

Urukubarr had been in this place many times before, in his time with the Savaxen. Not this place, exactly, but close enough; bar full of people, pretty girl, man who won't take a hint, high tensions. Usually ends about the same, with Urukubarr washing blood off his knuckles. The more delicate details were moot, guards being present and that fat slob with Ruark's guard girl, didn't really matter to him. Although the fatter and well dressed humans were, the more influence they tended to wield... No matter, he thought. Urukubarr stayed put at the table, but grunted and nodded to Gerric to let him know, "I have your back".

He scratched the tip of his pointed ear, asking himself the same question every time he scratched it; are we somehow related to the elves? Then, as usual, he dismissed the thought and started to put his long, coarse hair into a topknot. He had left it down in an attempt to obscure his features, but he would need his vision now. The city had him edgy, even after working with the horses; a fight sounded like just the right thing to take his mind off it...

In the interest of peace, however, Urukubarr attempted to scare away the man in the most frightening way he knew. Speaking loudly enough for the man and the guards to hear him, "Lady say no, don't be sad. Come, buy me drink, maybe you get lucky!" Urukubarr leaned back in his chair and used his foot to bring another chair next to him, draping his arm over it. He licked his lips and beckoned the man come sit. Urukubarr was hoping to chase him away with disgust, or have the patrons laugh him out. The next few moments would tell what his Savaxen impression had accomplished.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Firbolg in the Playground

Spoiler: Warehouse
    Show
    @Cavir: it's a large, one-story, open-space building with lots of columns & beams. Something like this, but about half the size as far as the roof is concerned.
    I'm going with the view in the picture is the same I have from the window I'm at, with the door on the same wall as where I'm at.

Nazir takes in Ruark's unspoken question then looks back out at the scum outside the window. This is not how the halfling wanted this mission to go. The information on Sinkrin and his men's plans for tonight was invaluable and just as importantly Nazir found out that he was still hunted for. If these two got away it'd be extra trouble for the commander and it would put Sinkrin's crew on high alert for the halfling. Take these two down, get the rest of the group, then go help the commander seemed the best way to go. The hunters become the prey.

Now for a plan. The odds here, 2 on 2, weren't great but surprise was on their side. He looked around the warehouse. Some debris and columns. That would have limited sight range with the darkness beyond their torch. That would be a great advantage for his first arrow if he could get the enough range to draw his sword after the shot. He already knew Ruark was up for a fight.

He turned back to Ruark and whispered into his ear. "Two on two. We need them in here so they can't run once they see you. Go about 3/4 of the way down and get out of sight. I'll get their attention, draw them past you and get an arrow off. I can see in the dark so it won't hinder my shot even if you are fighting them. Remember, fight as a team so we can help the others later. Here, take my cloak for better camouflage down there. I'll probably aim for the taller one first. The shorter one wants my head more so he won't give up as easily if he thinks I'm the only one in here. My shot is the signal to do your thing."

Nazir hands his cloak to Ruark. While Ruark moves down the warehouse (it's dark and silence is needed) Nazir strings his bow and preps his arrows while keeping his main attention to the window.

Once Ruark is ready, Nazir nocks an arrow and holds both with one hand. He takes one final resting breath then sneaks over to the door nearest the window. He quietly unlocks the door then sneaks back near the window. He looks down and finds some debris near his feet. He kicks it just enough to make noise like he tripped, just enough for the scum to hear. Without waiting he turns and starts to move toward Ruark, kicking another piece of debris to make it sound like he stumbled while trying to get away. He then picks up the pace to create some distance.

Show
    If Ruark has different input I'll gladly modify my post to match, even if it is to avoid a fight. With the different time zones I'm trying to make it more efficient.

What armor is typical for the soldiers? Weak points? I should be well familiar with that since I was in the unit.

If unlocking the door makes noise I'll use that as the attention grabber then boogie down the warehouse. Depending how fast they come in determines how far past Ruark I go, the more the better while still having time to turn and get a fully aimed shot in.

Wits/Tactics for planning the ambush (5d10)[9][9][3][2][8](31) TN 8
    Stealth with the door (Agility/?) (8d10)[8][5][6][10][1][2][10][2](44)
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

9. - Top - End - #399

Ruark only grinned and nodded to Nazir before loading the crossbow before he headed down into the depths of the room they were in.

Spoiler: Sneak
    Show
    Sneak roll to move quietly. [rollv]7d10 TN 6, Agility.[/rollv]

He did as he was told and found a spot where he could ambush the two guards. He considered the crossbow again but changed his mind last minute, it would be better to have the sword and shield ready if Nazir and himself missed their shots. He drew his new sword quietly and strapped the shield to his arm and he felt that familiar nervousness bubble up in his stomach. He was going into battle with two untested pieces of equipment against two opponents he had never even seen. It felt like he was back in that grotto below the inn, but he was ready. He would wait for Nazir to draw the guards in and towards him, let Nazir fire off an arrow and then charge whoever was left.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Troll in the Playground

The Good End Tavern

The drunkard turned his attention from Kate to Gerric. He seemed a bit more cautious now, however, it did not stop him.

"You help me? Help yourself, you oaf.". He turned away from him, and swayed towards Urukubarr.

"I don't know why they let the likes of you inside the city. Orcish filth. You...and your kind... you belong to pens. With pigs. Heh... and you know what? I have yet to meet a orc that is not a coward..."

There was a low murmur, at most of the tables now. The off-duty guards were looking restless, but nobody stood up to their defence. The other men - the ones that looked a bit more... rugged... sat tense, as if they were waiting for something. It felt strange.

And there was another thing - they could hear a weak sound of footsteps, from the outside, from the street. It sounded just like marching and there was a distinct sound of metal clanking.

Spoiler: OOC Gerric
    Show
    The man is just a decoy. And if you hear correctly, someone is coming. This whole building is a trap - but there may be allies, but you need to rouse these.
    The restless guardsmen.

Also, there are two possible exits if you don't count the door - through the windows to the street/side street, or through upstairs. There may be also a cellar - however, no idea if it's possible to reach anything through it.

The Warehouse

The warehouse was silent - and only the sound of dripping water disturbed the dust as Ruark and Nazir prepared for ambush.

Nazir's plan was a good one - but as usual, as plans do, it came with one small problem.

When he tried to open the door, he found out that it was locked. And there was no key present...

He looked back, and noticed Ruark's aura - the northerner was getting ready for the fight. He then started looking around for something to pick the lock with, but there was nothing around. He considered his dagger, but it was worthless - he knew nothing about picking locks.

As he moved near the window, he noticed that one of the men just turned towards him and went pale with shock.

He could hear a gasp and frightened voice. "It's the halfling! He's here!".

The second man, the burly one turned around.

"Let's get him!"

He started running down the warehouse.

Ruark was kneeling in the middle of the warehouse, when he heard footsteps. Someone was running. He hoped it was Nazir.

Spoiler: OOC Nazir
    Show
    The army members usually wear scale mail protecting their torso and a pot helmet.
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.

Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Titan in the Playground

So it's an ambush. Fine. Just fine. Standing behind Kate with his shield at the ready he leaned down to whisper in her ear. "Drunk's a distraction, ambush. Enemies waitin' for someone to show up, then they strike. Best to either start now before they're ready, or, get the guards on our side. Your call. If we fight I'd suggest the stairs, chokepoint if we're outnumbered, worst comes to worst we can jump to escape."

12. - Top - End - #402

Ruark made a curse under his breath, he cursed the darkness of this place, the fog rolling in and their damn luck to have made a simple night of keeping watch into a potential death trap.
    He gripped his sword tight and the shield even tighter, a fight in this dark could be the end of him. His eyes glanced nervously down to where he had put down the crossbow too, he knew that if both him and Nazir hit their marks with the bows then the fight would be over before it began, but Ruark did not trust his own skill with the weapon in this darkness. Better to get up close and cut their throats instead. He nodded to himself to re-insure himself that he was in the right as he prepared for the guards to break through the door.

Show
    Ruark will wait until the guards make it inside, and Nazir has fired his bow before he charges the remaining guard or guards depending on who survives. He'll charge even if they both survive.

Is the warehouse completely dark or can we still see enough to make a fight possible?

13. - Top - End - #403
    Ettin in the Playground

So, things were even worse than they'd seemed. Kate really wanted to believe that Gerric was jumping at shadows. And since she was taking a trip to implausibility land, why not wish her father back to life as well? Thinking too positively could get you killed. She had to live in the real world: The one full of nasty people who kept trying to kill her. Kate whispered back to her ally.

"I'll try to alert the guards. Get yourself and Urukubarr to those stairs; Subtly as you can manage. When the time comes, I'm sure you'll know whether to fight or flee."

Wasting no time, Kate began 'mingling' with the forces of law and order. She quickly flitted from person to person, like a social butterfly. Each of them would receive a quick warning (along the lines of 'possible ambush incoming. Be ready'), that would hopefully look like a casual greeting from the outside. Kate didn't really expect this deception to work. Unless the enemies watching were idiots (which was admittedly possible), they were bound to catch on quickly. Kate was just hoping to buy a little extra time before they reacted. She warned every guard she could...

...Except Dreiana. That depressing voice of realism was guiding Kate's steps once again. Who had recommended this inn to them? Dreiana. Who was among the handful of people to meet them so far? Dreiana. Who even now sat in one corner of this room, looking harried and fearful? Dreiana. Facts were facts...

14. - Top - End - #404
    Ogre in the Playground

"Bwahahaha! I only roll in pig pen with your hog mother! It only right I grant my seed to her in you ancestral home of sh*t, show her real man. But, I coward. No finish, too afraid her face, can't tell from arse!! You have her face, bwahahahaha!!!" Urukubarr had heard it all, you don't spend as much time among the Savaxen as he did without being called every name in the book, twice. And they had a way with words, with insults to be fair. Almost poetic, really. Urukubarr did not enjoy the verbal sparing, but knew it's importance. His quips would have him gain or lose support from nearby patrons, and even the guard. Best case, he could laugh the man out. Worst case, he could win a few potential allies over in the coming brawl. If this man meant to start a fight, he was going to make the first move, and it would be the last move he ever makes. Urukubarr mockingly sniffs himself, "Arg! Still smell her, or that you?"

15. - Top - End - #405

Nazir hurried toward the far end of the warehouse, whispering "Be ready" as he passed Ruark. With the bow and arrows in one hand he drew his sword with the other as he neared the far end. He stopped near the far end, well beyond torchlight from the other end, next to a column. He laid the bastard sword against the column, point down, for easy access later. He also took out his dagger and laid it on his foot, also for later use. He turned, facing where he came from, and prepared to fire.

As the guards find their way into the warehouse he calls out to them, giving them an idea where he is, and sounding like a scared victim. "Leave me alone! I wasn't bothering you. At least give me time to find my bow string for a fair fight!" Nazir kicks the dagger laying on his foot off to the side a little, enough for them to hear it. His voice turns to frustration, barely loud enough for them to hear. "Dammit, where is that string!"

Show
    Yes, I have one arrow nocked and the 2 extra arrows being held with the left hand against the bow.

roll SOC/acting or sincerity (whichever is better for you)
    HA! Let's see.... 10 for one and 10 for the other....

Not sure how Bad Rep will affect a roll like this if at all. SOC is 3, +1 for Passion (Ruark is in trouble if they see him first). Anything form -2 to +2 dice from the Bad Rep (so 2d10 up to 6d10) and Laco can pick the first pertinent dice.
    SOC/Sincerity (6d10)[6][4][2][2][9][10](33) TN10
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

16. - Top - End - #406

And Ruark was ready. He held his shield and sword tight and ready. All those guards had to do was break through the door or window and they'd be dead. If they didn't, at this point Ruark was so worked up he would probably charge after them himself.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Troll in the Playground

Good End Tavern

There was a commotion at the tavern door, but the only ones who watched the door were Urukubarr, Kate, the fat man and the young man, who sat at the table Urukubarr borrowed the second chair from.

Kate finished her circle around the room, ending almost where she stood originally - near the drunkard. In the meantime, he lost his drunk facade - he was now staring at Urukubarr, his hand gripping a dagger spasmodically. He was preparing for attack.

Gerric stood nearby, and heard several chuckles from the guardsmen. They liked how Urukubarr addressed the man. Kate's words also spread around the tavern and several guards were now gripping their swords. The ruffians were however not waiting too. The hair on his back stood up when he heard muffled sound of several swords drawn from their scabbards. Somewhere behind him someone whispered "I'll cut his heart out. He won't talk like that about our mother..."

Urukubarr watched the man - he was ready for an attack, but his eyes glanced towards the door - his ears caught the sounds of approaching men, and he heard someone shouting orders outside.

And then the drunkard shouted "I'll kill you, pig!" and drawn his dagger.

Show
    First things first - you get around 5 seconds before the drunkard attacks. Feel free to prepare in any way.
    See positions below, if you want to move otherwise, let me know.

And then:
    Round 1 Exchange 1: Urukubarr's initiative?

G - Gerric, U - Urukubarr, K - Kate
    O - drunkard, S - guard, R - ruffian
    U - stairs up, DD = door
    M - Gregor

T = table
    B = bar

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    XR.S..M..U..S..S DX
    X..TS.T.GT..TS.T.TX F - fat man
    DD.......O.K...S.FX D - Dreiana
    DD.....R...S.R.R..X X - wall

X.RTR.RTR..BBBBBBBX
    X..R..UUUUUB.....DD
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Sorry for the roguelike map. If anyone wants to sketch it, feel free to .

Abandoned Warehouse

Footsteps. The two ran to the door, their torch sending rays of light through the door and under them. For a moment the door looked like door to paradise, and then a mighty kick shattered it, sending it to the ground.

The two men entered - they were rushing, but still carefully. Their torch revealed the debris and the smaller one jumped forward, his shield covering his breast, his sword drawn.

The larger man held a mace in his hand, and tried to stay behind the smaller one, covered by his shield and body.

"Come on, halfbreed! You lived for too long already!"

They ventured forth...

Show

Round 1, exchange 1: Nazir has nocked, drawn. Refresh proficiency.
    Range: 12m from Nazir, 9 from Ruark (if I understood correctly).
    Initiative?

Oh, since Ruark has no camouflage, roll against 10 if you want to stay undiscovered prematurely.
    Last edited by Lacco; 2016-05-26 at 02:25 PM.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Ogre in the Playground

He could have probably come up with another remark about the man's mother, but from the moment he heard weapons drawn, the beast within awoke in a rage. No more need for a mask, his true face showed. His fangs bared, eyes wide, and muscles tensed. Urukubarr had his back to the wall, and as the old adage goes about cornered animals goes... Well, the 'drunkard' would soon find out.

Urukubarr stood quickly, sending his chair back into the wall, his greatsword came free from it's scabbard as easily as the drunk's dagger. He unleashed a terrible roar and with all of his strength, he kicked the table into the man. "I AM DEATH!"

Show
    Edited to draw first, kick later. I'm throwing down the red dice. Still unsure if roll is necessary for the table kick, or what I should be rolling.
    Last edited by XIII; 2016-05-27 at 11:34 AM.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Gregor sat, nursing his ale, lost in remembrance. It seems so long ago now.

Spoiler: reminiscence
    Show

Gradually his tears cleared, and he looked up to find he was not alone. Sitting relaxed on a large stone not fifteen feet away was a well-dressed man with a walking cane. “Sloppy work back there.” he said, tsking gently, “Sloppy, but promising.”

Gregor, still in shock, stared blankly at the man who had appeared out of nowhere. Finally, after a few tries, he cleared his throat and found his voice. “Who… who are you? Where’d you come from?”

At that, the gentleman lightly hopped down from the stone and, with a shallow bow, said, “John Smith, at your service. And, as to where I came from, I followed you of course. I watched you bungle your way through that whole debacle.”

Again, Gregor stammers out his response. “B-but, I’ve never seen you before.”

“Which is how it should be done.” snapped John. Then after a pause he let out a held breath and added, “Let us walk and talk, yes? We shouldn’t be too near the keep after they find your handiwork.” Without waiting for an answer, he strolls down the path, his cane clicking gently.

Gregor, paused, collected himself, and jogged to catch up with John. “Slow down, John. I know your name, but not what you’re doing here. Why are you acting so calm about this? I just murdered a baronet for Christ’s sake!”

John, arching an eyebrow, calmly states, “I was here to accomplish the same end as you, Gregor. It seems Stanz has made many enemies given his particular proclivities. You didn’t think your fiancé was his only victim, did you?” After a brief pause, he added, “You do realize that you can’t go back to your old life. You left a trail any fool with half a brain can follow.”

Again, Gregor was sent reeling. “Wait, what? What about my family?!”

Nonchalantly John replies, “My organization could relocate them. This wouldn’t be free of course. You’d have to pay.”

“Anything! Name your price!” Gregor all but shrieks.

John halted and turned to face Gregor. “Don’t mistake me, it’s not your meager wealth we are interested in, Gregor. You were sloppy back there, but you have promise. Come work for my organization, and we will take care of your family.”

“On one condition.” Gregor said. “No innocents.”

“Innocence is often in the eye of the beholder.” John replied. “But very well. No innocents.”

Taking a deep breath, Gregor held out his hand. “Agreed.”

They shook on it, and Gregor’s world was turned upside down. The next years were spent relearning how to act, how to fight, how to deceive, and, above all, how to kill.

Gregor tried to banish his wandering thoughts with a slight shake of his head. Back in the present again, he resumed his vigil. That damn mark should be here any time now.

Things started to get interesting here in the bar, with a strange collection of what could only be described as mercenaries and an obvious setup. This was going to completely blow his hit unless he got creative.

Still acting the oblivious drunk, Gregor prepared for the inevitable conflict. One hand innocuously dropped below the table, palming a throwing knife, his other clearly in view holding his still mostly full tankard. Nothing to see here. Just scratching an itch.

Conflict was inevitable, and now that he was in the middle of this fiasco he had to pick a side. The winning one, hopefully.

Show

Pertinent skills:
    Social: 5, Acting TN: 5, Sincerity TN: 4
    Agility:7, pick pocket (slight of hand) TN: 7
    Last edited by Eplov; 2016-06-08 at 09:46 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Jerri in lacco36's Curious Expedition
    Gregor in lacco36's Soldiers of Fortune
    Karl Doggerton

20. - Top - End - #410
    Titan in the Playground

The drunk was right in front of him, knife in his hand. He and Kate were in the man's range, with Kate unarmored. Behind him, he heard Uruk draw his sword and shout, and saw the table between them fly forward. There was some damn fool part of him that hoped that the guards would take the use of a table first as some sign that they weren't the ones to start bringing violence into the tavern. Maybe enough would try to help them. And maybe he'll find a message from his wife and son, along with Euric's head at the bottom of his next beer.

But now was the time to think, even for just a second. The stairs wouldn't work, not with all his enemies between him and the favorable terrain. But, if you can't get to where you have an advantage, you'll have to make one for yourself.

Turning to the table at his side he saw some drunk looking man drinking his ale. "Pardon," he muttered as he turned over the man's table, and shoved it into a position which hopefully would force the thugs to move between the two tables to get to him and Uruk. "Need to protect my flank. I'll pay for your next drink later."

21. - Top - End - #411

Ruark did his best to use the shadows near him to hide in, but it was a difficult task. He was excited, but realized that his best chance of survival was to let Nazir shoot first. He would wait until Nazir had fired his shot and then see the reactions of the guardsmen. If they started to run towards Nazir after the first shot, Ruark would intercept them. If they panicked and ran for the door, Ruark would chase them, but if they panicked and stood still, Ruark would wait for Nazir's second shot.

Initiative: White Die. Defend.
    Attempting to hide: (7d10)[10][6][1][3][4][3][10](37) TN 10

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ettin in the Playground

With one smooth motion, Kate's sword and shield were in her hands. Thank goodness she hadn't left those behind. While she still had freedom of movement, she rushed to Urukubarr's side. Her voice rang out across the room.

"Please, stand down! If you don't, we'll be forced to subdue you!"

That warning wasn't really for those ruffians' benefit. There was little hope of reasoning with them. No, Kate's words were intended for the guards. She wanted to give a strong impression of being civilised and lawful. Whose side (she seemed to say) should they take here: The irate thugs looking for an excuse to brawl? Or the calm, reasonable noble and her companions? The answer (Kate hoped) was obvious.
    Last edited by Anyr; 2016-05-27 at 10:15 AM.

23. - Top - End - #413
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

As Gregor's table was flipped he kept his tankard in his hand and clumsily stood up. Wobbling slightly and gesturing with his tankard, he slurred, "Iiii think you fellers should leave the lady 'lone. They's jus' tryin' to have a beer. Nothin' wrong with that, right?" Then, swaying drunkenly he points at Urukubarr with his ale adds in a conspiratorial tone, "Asides, that biggun looks peeerty tough." With this last gesture Gregor "accidentally" tips his tankard sideways and the contents spill onto the floor. A look of dismay comes over his face and he drops down as if to somehow scoop back up the spilled liquid. This placed his body out of sight behind the upturned table where he let go of the prop and palmed a second throwing knife.

Show

Im trying to persuade any who will listen that the party hasn't asked for this fight, while maintaining my cover, and that they don't want to mess with the angry half-Orc.
    I realize that this would take a bit more than five seconds, so I'm happy to edit as necessary.

Social: 5, persuade: 7, acting: 5
    agility: 7, pick pocket: 7
    Last edited by Eplov; 2016-05-27 at 11:50 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Jerri in lacco36's Curious Expedition
    Gregor in lacco36's Soldiers of Fortune
    Karl Doggerton

24. - Top - End - #414

The warehouse door burst open and the two soldiers came in looking to kill a halfling for the price on his head from a corrupt army officer. The halfing, Nazir, was already in position at the far end of the warehouse, bow in hand. They had torches but it was too little to light the whole place. Nazir had elven sight that let him see in the infrared. Their warm bodies stood out against the chill of the evening rain behind them. He had a quick bead on them but this wasn't the time for a rushed shot. The short one in front had armor and a shield. The taller one had the torch. Yes, take him out and the other one won't be in a hurry to run into darkness. The taller one used the short one as a human shield, but his height would be his downfall. Nazir focused him aim just above the short one, aiming at the tall one's face. One shot, one kill. That was his preferred way if he had to kill.

Show
    Initiative: White die
    Show

25. - Top - End - #415
    Troll in the Playground

Good End Tavern

The table flew through the air and hit the man straight in his chest - he stumbled backwards and hit the stairs.

They all could hear sounds of swords being drawn. Metal flashed, reflecting the lights of the the inn as the ruffians drew their blades. However, also some of the guards stood up and drew their swords. Dreiana was among them. The fat man looked at Dreiana with puzzled look and then, frowning, turned his attention to the door.

The ruffians ignored Gregor's attempt to stall the situation - and only focused their attention on the orc and his companions. Only the wildly-looking mercenary addressed him...and borrowed his table. And his mark was still not there...

Kate's words seemed to persuade some of the guards - two who sat nearby Dreiana stood up, together with two who sat nearest to the door.

However, to her left, stood a thin, sickly looking man, with several scars on his face - one of the ruffians. It was him, who whispered just a moment ago, and he clenched his fist around a sword. The fight would start soon.

...however, the sound of movement outside was now a lot louder.

Spoiler: OOC Urukubarr
    Show
    Roll not necessary - for this time. The table-kick would surprise him, and would send him to the wall.

Spoiler: OOC - all
    Show
    The tavern seems like a barrel of gunpowder. One move and it blows. So...what do you do?
    It seems they are preparing for attack. You currently have initiative if you decide to attack, but only for first round.
    If you hold, it's almost sure they will attack.

Warehouse

The two men entered fast, but stopped as soon as they were in.

"Where is he...? I'm sure I heard him over there..." the burly man pointed his weapon almost towards Nazir's exact position.

"Let's get him." the smaller one stepped in, moving fast, disregarding the danger.

Ruark could hear them both loud and clear. The torch provided him enough light to see, but did not reach his hideout - he was safe for the moment.

That could change any moment...

He risked a glance to the place he assumed Nazir was. No sign of a shot, no twang of the bow. It was time to wait.

The men were now near him, only three meters away. And they passed half of the way to Nazir.

And then the larger one stopped.

"Wait, something's wrong..."

Show
    Round 2. Actions?

26. - Top - End - #416

The larger one stopped, fully illuminated by the torch in his hand. Nazir finished aiming just above the short one's head to skewer the torch bearer's face. Even if the shot was a little low there would still be a head in the way. Missing would probably mean the death of at least Ruark from fighting two on one before Nazir could join the fight with his sword, so there would be none of that. The hunted halfling paused his breathing at the right moment of his breathing cycle and released his arrow. It flew out from the darkness at the guards.

Show
    Round 2.
    Full MP = 13 Dice
    Range 1
    Drive 2
    Passion 1
    17 total dice

Gift Accuracy 2
    4 dice for accuracy (6 total accuracy)
    13 dice attack

Target priority: Head (XIII) then Torso (XII). Hoping a Torso shot may be a head shot on the short guy.

(13d10)[8][6][7][3][1][5][5][1][1][3][7][4][5](56) TN 7

Intent:
    1) If I drop one then reload while Ruark keeps the other busy.
    2) If I miss then drop bow and grab my sword as I get half behind the column the sword is leaning against.

EDIT: Using Drama point to reroll failed dice:
    (10d10)[3][9][8][10][9][5][10][6][5][9](74) TN7 -> +6 successes = 9 total
    Last edited by Cavir; 2016-06-02 at 01:04 PM.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #417

Ruark heard the snap of Nazir's bowstring and he grinned. Soon he would watch the master bowman send an arrow into another eye-socket. His muscled tensed and he readied himself to spring into an attack as soon as he could see how the guards react.

Show
    I want to charge the guards if they start moving in any direction. Is this possible? A delayed action sort of, making myself act after them?

In any case: Ruark defends, WHITE DIE!

28. - Top - End - #418
    Titan in the Playground

Kate's plea seems to have worked, a little. Four of the guards seem to have joined them. But that didn't seem to have changed the minds of the ambushers. Gerric held up his axe and shield, getting ready for the fight ahead. The drunk beside him slurred something, but Gerric wasn't paying him too much attention. Standing beside Uruk he whispered, hoping that only his companion could hear.

"Kate wants 'em to attack first. After that, we kill 'em all."

29. - Top - End - #419
    Ettin in the Playground

Kate was relieved to have gained at least a few supporters. Fighting off this ambush with just three blades would have been a tall order. It was also a relief to see Gerric keeping himself in check. Thankfully, he only needed to do so for a few seconds more. Once the enemy made their move, nobody would care if her group (as a lawyer might say) employed deadly force.

Kate felt the inn wall pressed against her back: Far too clearly for her liking. No comforting clank of plate armour this time. She sent a silent prayer to whichever Gods might be listening:

[May my shield be sturdy and my parries be swift...]
    Last edited by Anyr; 2016-06-02 at 10:25 PM.

30. - Top - End - #420
    Ogre in the Playground

Intentions were clear now, this was the way Urukubarr preferred it. He readied his blade for the first one to make an attempt on him or his allies. The tables provided effective barriers for funneling their enemies. Urukubarr motioned for Kate to take cover behind him while he fired off the spark to ignite this powder keg, "Come, little PIGS."

Show
    Red Dice, Feint and Thrust the nearest aggressor while maintaining a formation with Gerric and Kate. I believe I have 10 dice, using 6.

(6d10)[10][10][9][7][3][10](49)

Last edited by XIII; 2016-06-02 at 10:43 PM.