New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 36 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [RoS] Soldiers of Fortune (IC)

"No more for me," Gerric said as his new companion fumbles around for the coin. "I like keepin' my head about me, 'specially when I'm stuck in this perfume stench ridden place." Looking at the barkeep as he got out his bucket. "Oy, sorry about the mess." He handed over another couple coins, after all, it wasn't his fault all this happened. "Before you're officially allowed to join our merry band, you'll have to first talk to the others. I've no problem with you or your secrets. But I don't call the shots. I also ain't gonna tell you the details until we get out of earshot of those that just tried to set us up. It's messy and violent though, as usually befits a band of mercenaries."

2. - Top - End - #512
    Ettin in the Playground

Kate was wary. She shared Gerric's distrust of Unaric. This city's politics were murky and treacherous. Just being here for a day had already put her waist-deep in it. The Watch Commander had earned her trust, at least to an extent. This man hadn't. Until his true motives could be ascertained, it was best to keep a safe political distance.

"At the moment, I can only advise that the city stays on its guard. Our investigations are still far from complete. I wouldn't want to point fingers prematurely, and send you down a blind alley. When we have more solid information, I'm sure you'll be contacted.

Meanwhile, the hourglass' sand is still falling. Far too much time has been wasted already tonight. With your permission, my team and I must be about our business.
    "

With a final farewell to the council member, Kate set off for the stables. She still felt distinctly under-dressed.

"Everyone, finish your drinks and be ready. We'll be leaving as soon as I've donned my armour."

3. - Top - End - #513
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

With his new saber sheathed safely, Gregor looks around for his missing throwing knife. A small "ah" escapes his lips as he remembers the throw that stuck it in the lass' assailant. Walking over he stoops to retrieve it, pausing to clean it on the fallen man's shirt, then raising to his feet and secreting it away... somewhere.

Nodding to Gerric as he steps toward the assembled crew he says, "My name is Gregor. Gerric here has invited me to join with you. In light of recent events I am inclined to agree, although I cannot commit to the long haul at this time. If you will have me, I will give you what help I am able." Then, with a charming smile he adds to Kate, "That offer extends to help donning your armor, if you would like it."
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Rolls!
    Slight of hand to steal the fallen man's coin purse or anything interesting (he certainly doesn't need it anymore) while retrieving the knife:
    7 Agility, TN 7 Pick Pocket
    (7d10)[9][5][8][8][6][3][3](42) 3 successes
    Trying to make a good impression on the group:
    5 Social, +1 loyalty to the group (if applicable), TN 7 Persuasion:
    (6d10)[4][6][10][9][5][1](35) 2 successes
    Trying to make a really good impression on Kate:
    5 Social, TN 6 Seduction
    (5d10)[8][3][1][4][1](17) 1 success (Almost a fumble! That would have been hilarious!)
    Last edited by Eplov; 2016-08-31 at 10:44 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Jerri in lacco36's Curious Expedition
    Gregor in lacco36's Soldiers of Fortune
    Karl Doggerton

4. - Top - End - #514
    Ettin in the Playground

Kate raised an eyebrow. She hadn't expected to get any job applications today. She gave the newcomer a long, searching look. Judging from his performance in the brawl, he certainly did seem competent. And furthermore, Gerric of all people had recommended him. He must have made quite an impression, to overcome her comrade's strong paranoia. All in all, quite a promising prospect; Except for the lechery. That'd have to go. After carefully weighing the pros and cons, Kate nodded.

"...All right. If Gerric thinks you deserve a chance, then you'll get one. Welcome to the group. However, there's one thing that I wish to make perfectly clear:

Stop flirting with me. I am not interested. I will never be interested. Should you want romance, I'm sure there are plenty of women willing to oblige. But I'm not one of them. Do we have an understanding?
    "

5. - Top - End - #515
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Grinning broadly, Gregor nods in acceptance of the rebuke. "Understood. Although, those eyes will make your request a difficult one... I will, of course, do my best to fulfill your wishes." This last was said with complete innocence. With that temporarily done he turned his attention to the others, proffering handshakes and introductions to the group.
    Show

Sincerity roll...
    (5d10)[1][10][9][10][2](32) TN 4 - 3 successes...
    Last edited by Eplov; 2016-08-31 at 12:25 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Karl Doggerton

6. - Top - End - #516
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ruark could only laugh along in pity for Gregor as he shakes his hand, "Don't worry new friend, Uruk and I can keep you safe in those lonely dark nights should you ever require it. I understand you fought well while Nazir and I were away? You are a good fighter then? I look forward to training with you if you survive the next few days. Though, I worry that I do not see your shield anywhere. Did it break during the last brawl?"

Ruark was very friendly and full of good will towards their new companion, it was obvious though that a certain suspicion still shone in his eyes at times. Gregor did not still have Ruark's trust.

"Kate, I agree we should leace as soon as you're ready but this fog is extremely difficult to navigate. Everyone that can should bring torches and their best luck with them, I have a feeling that this night is going to get worse before it gets better."

"While you get armored, I'll make sure there is no more drinking and time wasting. We'll be ready for you.
    "

Ruark seemed eager to impress and please Kate, contrasted with the way he had poked fun at and teased her as an equal around the campfire just a few days before. She got the feeling he was looking up to her now, not just to get on her good side but because he seemed to enjoy taking her orders and doing them well.

7. - Top - End - #517
    Titan in the Playground

Gerric had to stifle a chuckle at Gregor's attempts to woo Kate. As Ruark swooped in to joke with Gregor, Gerric whispered to Kate. "He coulda stabbed us for reward and didn't. If he does anythin'... wrong. I'll cut him up myself. Ready when you are, chief."

8. - Top - End - #518
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Gregor smiled at Ruark as they shook hands. "I appreciate the warm welcome, and the humor besides. No shield for me I'm afraid. I'm one of those fools who prefer steel in either hand, and to not be where my enemy expects me." Gregor found the prospect of training with this warrior very compelling, not having the opportunity to spar with anyone outside of his order before. "Assuming we both live through whatever I'm stepping into I'd welcome the chance to train, although I suspect our methods differ greatly." His belongings already gathered Gregor stands near the door, ready to go.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Karl Doggerton

9. - Top - End - #519
    Ettin in the Playground

Kate was grateful for Gerric and Ruark's words. They reassured her that it was fine to take a chance with this stranger. Because even if he did turn out to be a traitor, he'd die before his dagger got anywhere near her back. She was truly fortunate to have such reliable comrades looking out for her. And of course, she'd be sure to return the favour. With renewed vigour, Kate departed.

She returned in short order: Clad once again in full armour. Its familiar weight was very comforting. She'd also brought a few torches, to help cut through the fog. Kate addressed her teammates with a smile on her face.

"I hope you all enjoyed our leisurely rest in the tavern: Because it's time to get some work done. Let's be off!"

10. - Top - End - #520
    Titan in the Playground

"'Bout damn time," Gerric grunted. "What you do? Take a quick bath before you thought you were ready?" He gave Kate a small nod to hopefully indicate he was joking. Rising from his chair he unhooked his axe and absently scratched at an itch on the side of his neck. They had wasted so much time. The merchant would know for certain that his driver was missing. Any chance for surprise was probably gone, and he didn't like the look of that mist. Even if it was just a normal mist, he did not like fighting in a fog so dark he couldn't see where his axe was swinging.

11. - Top - End - #521
    Firbolg in the Playground

<After Unaric answered Nazir's warning>

Nazir's eyes opened in disbelief. "Sinkrin planned this AND purposely put a city council member in the midst of a deadly battle? Far less would get a man executed."

<After Unaric leaves>

Nazir was happy to have the group back together and with a set mission in mind, especially one where his scouting skills should be of great use. Hopefully they would get there early enough.

Nazir accepted the proffered handshake and introduced himself. He didn't know what to make of Gregor beyond the failed brash pass on Kate but enough of the others were satisfied enough, particularly Kate. Details would have to come later. He took advantage of the few minutes they had to grab something light to eat, drink something without alcohol, and to try to confirm the way back to the docks area with the barkeep, Gregor, or whoever else there seeming knowledgeable.

With Kate coming out of the room upstairs, Nazir steps just outside the front door to get a feel for the fog, orient himself, and use his infravision to see if Sinkrin had left any men behind to follow them and create more trouble.

Show
    Perception for anyone outside looking like they were watching for us and/or following us once we start moving. Not sure what skill that would be (Spot in D&D)
    (7d10)[8][5][2][8][5][7][9](44) TN ?

Orienteering to find the way back. Not sure if it would be MA (5) or PER (7) so I'll roll the higher number and let Laco choose. Any bonuses from asking around in the tavern? Hopefully the party's success in court still lingers enough to help.
    (7d10)[6][2][9][1][10][4][1](33) TN 5
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

12. - Top - End - #522
    Troll in the Playground

Happy Ends Tavern

Unaric left. His last words as he turned towards Kate and Nazir were heard by all people in the inn. "Very well. I am not fond of long sleep, so feel free to disturb me at any time when you need my assistance. I will be in the town hall, making sure that the city is on guard. You have my permission to operate in this city. And if you provide the city an invaluable services, I will remember it." He looked at Nazir when he spoke, and his eyes seemed to soften for a moment. "I do not think he purposefully put me amidst of deadly battle. I have my own opinion why he lead me there - and what leverage he wanted to gain," while glancing at Dreiana, "but your presence voided this threat...at least for now. So, I wish you good luck and may the gods keep you safe." With that he stepped out of the tavern. They followed him with their eyes but after few steps he disappeared into the fog.

Introductions were made and few pints of beer, water and a glass or two of wine were passed. The time flew fast - as it usually does in the rare times when peace reigns in the life of a soldier of fortune.

Spoiler: Kate
    Show
    As Kate entered her room, she saw that her belongings were all at the place where she left them. She quickly examined her armour - it was not her ceremonial heavy armour - it could be considered her second best armour. But this one belonged to her grand-aunt - a fierce warrior, and first lady-knight in the family. It bore her mark, inside each plate - her husband forged it for her.

She donned it, and felt the weight of the armour - not only of the metal, but also of the responsibility.

Show
    Feel free to ignore this if you have something else in mind.

When Kate came downstairs, everybody was sitting and having a drink - except for Nazir, who was watching the fog outside. They were battle-hardened soldiers - at least most of them - and one of the telltale signs was how quickly they could relax when not faced with immediate danger.

Spoiler: Nazir
    Show
    Nazir was watching the fog as it rolled over the streets. The street lights were of no help - you could see them, but not much except the points of light. But he believed in his senses and he almost felt the strange, eerie presence in the dock area. He would not lose his way this time.

As they all left the tavern, they almost immediately got swallowed by the foggy streets. The city was a labyrinth and they moved in it, lead by the sharp-eyed Nazir.

Spoiler: Ruark
    Show
    Ruark seemed to remember a street or two - but when they passed through the marketplace he immediately recognized how the city changed at night like this - it was a dead corpse, with the marketplace stalls standing out as bones of a dead body that has been already chewed on by rats.

Ruark did not consider himself fearful, but whatever changed the city in this way had to be respected. He put his hand on the hilt of his new sword and found calm when his fingers traced the ornaments on the pommel.

They walked on, through streets - it seemed like eternity. And then a familiar smell overcame his senses and the hair on his neck stood up.

Spoiler: Gregor
    Show
    Gregor felt strange - as if he entered a completely different story - he expected a simple assignment, but there he was, walking towards a building lost in fog, listening to their explanation of what happened in the Grey Tankard Inn in the forests... and he couldn't shake the feeling of something huge lurking on the horizon. And it was looking his way.

His companions seemed to be also affected - everybody seemed nervous. But who could blame them if their story was true?

The smell was getting worse. As if someone drowned a man and then let the body on air for some time...

Spoiler: Gerric
    Show
    Gerric drew confidence from the wooden haft and metal head of his axe. He wasn't a saint - he had far from it. And he wasn't a knight. But he knew that a good axe, a piece of steel in his hand and sturdy shield can be better than any prayers or beliefs.

Yet, for a moment he felt something loomed over him - a destiny, perhaps? Was he supposed to die tonight? The whole setup felt as if there were more powerful forces in play... and he felt connected to it. If was a passing feeling, but an eerie one.

He gripped his axe. It was time to kill, not to die. And while he did not know what destiny awaited him, he would not die today. There were still debts to be paid... people to be killed.

And he couldn't let the others go on without the only sane man... could he?

Spoiler: Urukubarr
    Show
    Urukubarr felt something evil in the air. Something rotten. It was not a smell of decaying fish, so often encountered in the human ports - it was something older. Maybe even ancient.

He started to silently humm a melody he suddenly remembered - hramm...urrmm...darrr-gann... and he felt confidence wash over him. Who sang this melody? He did not clearly remember. But the rhytm was calming and the lights felt a bit stronger... and a small whisp of fresh breeze could be felt for the shortest of moments...

...and then it was gone.

Spoiler: Kate
    Show
    Kate let Nazir lead the way. She took one of the torches and lit the way - because, who else should light the way for others if not a knight?

But as they progressed, her calm was slowly lost - they walked for too long. And the streets seemed to have no end - turning and leading them into the decaying heart of ... of what?

She shivered. It was better to not know what.

The smell of stale water, fish and decay washed over her - and she knew why.

Show
    For a moment he felt lost. As if the fog mislead him. This street...it looked exactly like the one few minutes ago...

...and this plaza... the statues seemed all wrong. They weren't like this before. They were...human.

He swiped the sweat off his brow with his forearm. The city was playing tricks on him. But he wouldn't lose his way. Not this time.

That way.

Yes... the stench was terrible, but he recognized it. He lead them well.

They were here.

Warehouse street in docks

Their footsteps on the cobblestones was the only sound that they could hear. When they stopped, they heard also faint sound of sea - but in the fog the sounds seemed to be distorted.

The warehouse they were searching for was stuck between a tannery and a brewery - the smells coming from the neighbor buildings were better undescribed. Opposite the warehouse, behind them, stood another warehouse - the one that was, according to Ruark's tale - now inhabited by two corpses.

The small light Nazir saw in one of the warehouse windows previously was still lit. But they could discern no movement. And he remembered that the merchant's warehouse had access to the sea, as it stood on pylons.

Their noses could now catch a small tang of sweetly-metallic smell... of blood. They watched the warehouse in front of them - it was a two-story building, wider than taller and it stood on pylons. The street was completely deserted.

They could see the warehouse doors - one large double-door, on the farther side of the building. And one small door. The windows were all on the second story, but they looked like they could be climbed through.

While they stood there, the feeling of threat in the air grew.

Show
    You are standing in front of the merchant's warehouse. It's standing between two buildings, so if you want to get to the other side - the sea side, you'll have to get creative.

Be careful. And good luck.
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

13. - Top - End - #523

"The sound of the sea is usually such a soft and wonderful sound isn't it? Just not tonight, now all I hear is a warning to stay away." - Ruark added to the already somber mood.

He had been walking in the front with Nazir, trying to learn a thing or two about how to navigate when you can't see more than a few feet ahead of yourself. Now that they were back at the warehouse all he wanted was to go back and sleep, instead there would be no rest for the band until they had bloodied their swords again.

"Why don't we just barge in, break the door, break some crates and scare whoever is in there to tell us exactly what's going on. We've left the carriage with bodies behind so we can't use that as cover to enter. I doubt knocking on the doors would do us much good and only Nazir seems capable of climbing up to those windows, maybe Gregor. We have no ship to sail in through the sea-entrance so that's out unless we're keen on swimming in armor and gear, something I really can't recommend. Unless anyone has any creative ideas I really can't see any other option than breaking down the doors. Fast and loose I say, simple and easy, don't give 'em any time to realize what's happened. What do you say Kate?"

14. - Top - End - #524
    Titan in the Playground

"There's a time t' rush and there's a time t' plan," Gerric said. "If we hadn't been wastin' time with all that nonsense, I'd say we could've gotten in and surprised the bastard. But now? He knows his wagon driver is missin', after all that commotion he has t' know somethin's happenin' tonight. And look around, does any of this **** feel natural to you?" Gerric shook his head. An ambush is only a useful strategy when the enemy doesn't know they're being ambushed.

"Give us a moment to think of something, if we can't find anything else then we'll have to rush in and pray to the gods that the merchant is just a fool who thinks murderin' folk will give him power."

Spoiler
    Show
    Tactics check: (5d10)[8][7][6][8][4](33) TN 6

Additional roll of 7 from passions (see OOC thread) making a total of 5 successes
    Last edited by Dienekes; 2016-09-06 at 04:14 PM.

15. - Top - End - #525
    Ettin in the Playground

Kate shivered. This atmosphere was starting to affect her. She'd never been prone to superstition. However, it was hard to deny that the foggy streets were unsettling. Must be the low visibility. That'd make any soldier wary. Yes, that must be it. Pushing such thoughts from her mind, Kate surveyed the warehouse. Ruark's approach didn't sit well with her.

"I'm inclined to agree with Gerric. We've probably lost the advantage of surprise. Now it's us who need to be wary of an ambush. We can't just rush in blindly."

16. - Top - End - #526

The fog was disturbing to all but Nazir's success in finding his way back helped counteract the feeling for himself. He listened to the others and agreed.

"Yes, better to not rush in blind." The halfling sniffs the air again. "The closer building, the tannery. Smell that? That is bad even for a tannery. Remember what Mad Dog's crew was doing to the bodies? A tannery right next door is a good cover for them, worth checking. "

"I suggest Gerric check out the tannery with Kate covering while Ruark gives me a boost up to the warehouse window to peek in. Urukubarr can keep lookout. Won't take long and we'll have better information for planning."

Show
    Urukubarr being on watch helps with him being MIA for now. Gerric gets to do his B&E and Nazir can use his elvish vision to get a better look inside. If the windows are close to each other I'll go for the unlit one first. On the way to the warehouse Nazir will first also peek in the lower windows of the tannery.

Tons of Tactics successes all around here and in OOC!
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

17. - Top - End - #527
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Gregor has always attempted to emulate the pragmatic mean of his counterparts in the order. His pragmatism clearly failed and here he found himself, doing who knew what with this group of near strangers. Still, he just couldn't help it. He had to support them, and to take down that captain a peg. All that, and he just can't help but like this strange band of mercenaries. "I can take a peek too, if you like. We haven't had much chance to cover this, but my skill set is... specialized. That side door looks mighty inviting, although perhaps too much so. Either way I can unlock it for those of you who don't relish a climb in heavy armor."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Karl Doggerton

18. - Top - End - #528

"That's a good plan Nazir. Gregor can help me give you a boost or help Gerric and Kate see if the tannery is empty. Either way we should not wait in this alley much longer, someone could see us."

19. - Top - End - #529
    Troll in the Playground

Ruark

Gerric was right. This was not natural - the fog shouldn't be so thick and the air so heavy. The small light in the window of the warehouse looked ominous.

The city made him feel uneasy. He tried to make his mind busy and looked up and down the street to ensure nobody was coming.

But who would go out at a night like this?

As they passed the street towards the warehouse, Ruark glanced at his companions. Strung like raiders before first raid...

Nazir

Nazir glanced through the window of the tannery. What he saw was almost empty room - the tanning racks were there, but there were no living auras save for the rats.

So the smell of the tannery was only used as a cover by the trader...

...he turned towards the building. It was time to climb... the window on the farther side, near the double door, would be more suitable for him. Also, it would be unwise to risk climbing to the only lit window.

The whole thing looked like a trap, but still - it didn't feel like one. His instincts told him they weren't expected - that the fog was there to protect whoever was inside... but if the intention was an ambush, the best way would be to surround them...

...Nazir glanced back, at the opposite building - the one they used as hiding place with Ruark some time ago. There was no movement inside, and the door was still opened, as they left it...

Gregor

The side door looked almost inviting - the large door had no lock on the outside, but the side door had one. But from the distance he couldn't really tell what kind of lock it was.

But he trusted his skills.

On the other side, the windows drew his attention. Bursting in through a window, spraying his opponent in glass... that felt great. His trainer would do the tut-tut and shake his head, but this was no ordinary job...

Gerric

Gerric's mind raced through all possibilities and contingencies. Splitting the already small group into two parts - archers and fighters - looked like best possibility. If Gregor could indeed open the door silently, they would gain advantage of at least some surprise - breaking down door always announced presence of raiders...

...so let's see. Nazir climbs to a window, and provides them with cover if necessary. Gregor unlocks the door. Who should go first in was quite easy to decide...

...and maybe Uruk could try to break down the large door, as distraction after they enter silently...?

There were also other possibilities - but everything would be easier with information from Nazir, Gregor and with the door unlocked...

Urukubarr

Urukubarr stood silently, waiting for others to finish their plans.

He felt presence of something in the air. It called to him, tugged on his primal instincts...

...but his song was strong, and his will withstood. He took a deep breath and followed his companions.

Soon, the land would be cleansed with either blood of his opponents, or his.

Kate

Even in the cold air, Kate felt a drop of sweat roll down her spine. Her people were traditionalists, but not especially superstitious. Yet, there were legends... and it felt like she walked right into one.

The warehouse seemed to look like dragon's den, surrounded by fog from his foul mouth...

...but it was just a warehouse. And the ones inside, were men. Just men.

She gripped the handle of her sword. Gerric's eyes were running up and down the building, so he was working on a plan. The others were starting to look nervous as they walked towards the warehouse.

A voice of single bell was clearly heard, three times. It was close to midnight.
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.

Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

20. - Top - End - #530
    Titan in the Playground

Gerric absently scratched at the side of his nose as his thoughts whirled about. Desperately he tried to push away the distractions around him, especially that stench. What was it with cities that made everything smell so foul? And that tannery and shore line weren't helping matters.

"Alright, I think I got somethin'," he finally said. "Gregor, time t' prove useful and earn yerself a name. The small doors, you think you can unlock 'em silently? If you can, do it. Then I'm thinkin' you and Nazir try and scurry up through them windows." He pointed up at one of the windows that looked clear, but didn't have a light within. "You guard that elf with your life," he said without turning to his new companion, just a hint of an edge to his voice. "The rest of us can make our way through the door, quiet. If we're lucky we can find where the bastard is doin' his magic tricks and kill him. If we're unlucky we make as much damn noise as we can. Gregor and Nazir keep out of sight and wait for a time for Nazir to shoot that back-stabbing piece o' **** through the eyes."

He looked at the rest of the group to see if they agreed with his plan, before looking to Kate. He felt something grow in his chest. A worry, but not for himself, for his, what should he call them? Allies? It didn't seem enough after the hell they've been through the last few days. He found himself worried that he might be leading them to their deaths. That for some ungodly reason they were trusting him, despite the hundreds he'd lead to Abdallos' waiting arms. Gerric cleared his throat and waited. He'd deal with these unwarranted thoughts later, for now he had someone to kill. That he could handle, it was what he loved most of all.
    Last edited by Dienekes; 2016-09-08 at 09:33 PM.

21. - Top - End - #531

Nazir listens to the plan as he checks the fletching on his arrows. "Sounds good. Let me get up there first so I can watch to see if they hear the door being unlocked and let you know what you are walking into then Gregor can join me up there. Gimme a hand." The halfling slings his strung bow over his shoulder, checks his gear that nothing is loose, then takes the proffered help getting started on the climb. He takes his time, trying to be careful and stealthy about it.

Show
    Guessing a boost might give some bonuses, but hopefully they won't be needed anyway.
    AG/Climbing: (8d10)[9][8][3][1][4][4][1][9](39) TN 9 -> 2 successes
    AG/Sneak: (8d10)[6][10][2][5][10][9][2][6](50) TN 8 -> 3 successes

Will also give Gregor a hand up when we get to that point.
    Last edited by Cavir; 2016-09-09 at 08:38 AM.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #532
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Gregor nods at Gerric's instruction, gives him a jaunty salute, and ghosts into the mist. The side door should be doable, then a little climb up the wall. Easy-peasy.

Show

copied from rolling thread:

Gregor's lockpick: (plus show-off if applicable)

(7d10)[8][10][1][9][8][6][4](46) + (3d10)[10][7][3](20) TN: 8

4 or 5 successes

Sneak
    (7d10)[1][2][1][8][2][2][1](17) TN: 7

1 success (look at those 1's!)

Climb
    (7d10)[2][10][8][10][2][4][10](46) TN: 8

4 successes

Last edited by Eplov; 2016-09-10 at 11:16 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Karl Doggerton

23. - Top - End - #533
    Ogre in the Playground

The entire dog and pony show at the tavern had left Urukubarr with a bad taste in his mouth. His sword had been stayed by back-stabbing cowards, fat officials, and human politics. Even in his more courtly training in Savaxen, trial by combat was usually the preferred method. He quietly helped clean some of the bar, for as long as the party lingered, taking his unspent aggression out on the broken furniture, breaking it down to firewood for the barkeep. Urukubarr had seen the newcomer, Gregor, come to their aid, without being asked. He wasn't sure what to think of this, he was taught that nothing came free from men. He kept to himself for now, occasionally exhaling through his nose like an angry bull.

The fog... It wasn't right. It did not come from mother earth, he thought. He remained silent for now, humming the comforting tune lowly, wracking his mind for a memory of where it came from. The momentary relief and breeze was all the encouragement he needed to drill his own memories for some semblance of reason here. The tune was part of something, maybe? Another power handed down by the druids? He kept reciting it in his mind, hoping for a breakthrough.

Urukubarr agreed to keep watch, it made sense, he tended to make a lot of noise. He offered his blessing to each, and cautioned against evil spirits, knowing some may brush him off as superstitious.

If only they knew...

He leaned on his sword, tip in the ground, drumming his fingers along with the tune in his head. When everyone was going about their business, he began reciting, "hramm...urrmm...darrr-gann..." searching inside himself, pulling from his spirit, where power truly resides. He enunciated in different ways, using different tones, experimenting with the chant. There was power in words, and more power in song, and he hoped to find some now; as far as Urukubarr was concerned, they were already under attack by evil.

24. - Top - End - #534
    Ettin in the Playground

Kate nodded her approval to Gerric's plan. She'd been thinking pretty much the same thing herself. She forced her breathing into a steady rhythm. From the looks of it, her comrades felt the pressure of this place too. What was causing these feelings? Perhaps she'd soon find out.

"All right. Let's proceed. One more thing: If possible, I'd like at least one survivor to interrogate...but it's not essential. Don't worry too much about it."
    Last edited by Anyr; 2016-09-10 at 12:30 AM.

25. - Top - End - #535

"Looks like I'm going in through that door first then. I don't die here tonight so it's probably safest for you all if I do. Gregor, take my crossbow if you know how to use it, could be useful if we had more than Nazir shooting arrows and bolts."

With that Ruark unslung his shield and drew his sword from its scabbard. He was ready to burst through that door as quietly as possible.

26. - Top - End - #536
    Troll in the Playground

Side Door

Gregor almost disappeared in the fog, his footsteps couldn't be heard. They followed him, as quietly as possible.

Ruark walked first, his eyes darting from side to side, trying to recognize the looming shadows that hid in front of him, in the fog. Behind him he heard Urukubarr's humming, Gerric's heavy breathing and clinking of Kate's armour... the sounds were exagerrated by the unnatural silence and the fog, but he also heard the deafening creaking of his own boots - and so he knew that these were just in his mind.

Waiting for Gregor was the hardest part - they didn't know whether they could trust him... yet they gave him the best opportunity to backstab them. Gerric imagined him turning a traitor, and then cutting his head personally in revenge...no, hands, no...something completely different... if he did. And Urukubarr's humming... he thought about telling him to hum in silence, but the sound broke the strange silence, and he was quite thankful for it.

Spoiler: Gregor
    Show
    The lock was an easy one - three tumblers, worn as they come. Work for a minute...and it's done!

It was faster and more silent than he thought. The door was open...

...now for the climb... but if the halfling has done it, a trained, skilled and talented man must be able to do the same...

...the wall was a bit moist, but it provided quite enough gripping places. He climbed to the window easily... and almost lost his grip when he saw the scene...

Spoiler: OOC Gregor
    Show
    No "show-off" - you'd need an audience or at least a bet for show-off to apply in this case.

Climb - you're up. See below. Also, let me know if you accept Ruark's crossbow.

And suddenly, Gregor was back, waving for them to come forward. Kate breathed out in relief - there were too many enemies in this fog, but it seemed Gregor wasn't one of them. At least for now. She motioned for the others to move - and they followed Ruark, who took the point.

The door looked untouched - only small opening gave away the fact that the door was open. Ruark stopped right in front of the door, waiting for the others to place themselves into position...

Urukubarr continued to hum the melody. The more he went over it, the more sure he was that he heard it during his training. He remembered another part - but the whole song eluded him, as if he was not ready to discover it fully, to grasp it. But it was strange, unmelodic, yet pleasant tune... it seemed to miss a tone or two still. But he was soon going to hear different kind of music...

Window

Nazir slowly climbed up. The wall was moist, and it slipped a bit, but the stone was loose enough to allow a slow, methodic climber safe - and silent - way up.

He peeked into the window and froze for a moment.

The warehouse room he was looking into was an open space - to left he saw a sheen of water - the entry from sea - and on the far right he saw one small light - a single candle on a table. But what drew his sight was the man - the merchant - that stood in the middle, surrounded by a labyrinth of boxes - he had a lantern, the one with just single opening, which threw off his elven sight - he couldn't make out the auras of the figures that stood in front of the man, but he saw them thanks to the light.

In front of the merchant stood three figures. There were two large, muscular figures that stood side by side in the back, just a step behind the third figure. The one that towered over the merchant - it wore a robe that covered its whole body, similar to a priestly garb with hood, but this one's sleeves just hung on the sides of the body - and the whole robe was motionless.

The merchant was shivering... his whole body was shaking and his face was pale.

Show
    Nazir moved his sight again towards the water - maybe if he looked away from the light, the auras would show... and they showed.

On the water. There had to be a ship - he saw faint auras that reminded him of rowers. But the auras were very weak...

As he sweeped the area, he saw that there were beams that crossed the whole building near - it would need a jump, but he could maybe do it - and a large shelf right in front of the window, just about five feet under his current position...

His ears caught a sound of door opening. Moments later, Gregor joined him on the ledge...

Spoiler: OOC Gregor
    Show
    He sees the same as Nazir, but without the auras. There is a black spot in the middle of the water - most probably a long, narrow boat.

27. - Top - End - #537

Nazir scouted the interior of the warehouse from his perch. When Gregor finished climbing the halfing motioned him to bring his ear close. With his lips almost touching the human's ear and barely a whisper, Nazir described what he could see then continued. "Keep an eye out and check the window while I inform the others."

It was then that Nazir realized a problem of working with a relatively newer team. As a scout hand signals were common to each other for stealth. This team hadn't worked much on hand signals. His hope was Kate had worked with the military long enough to know at least some of the common signals. He also had to hope there was just enough light for them to see his signals.

He made sure at least Kate down below was looking up. He held up 4 fingers then pointed towards the center of the warehouse, followed by pointing in the same direction with his thumb and index finger in an upside down L. He then pointed to the side of the warehouse with the opening to the sea and pantomimed rowing. He held one finger up, pointed to himself, then pointed through the window. Pointing to the group, a finger to his lips then a hand motion in the direction of the door. A thumbs up with a wiggle.

Show
    Use MA/Tactics to try passing along the message? Maybe MA/Tactics for whoever is looking up to understand it?
    Spoiler: Hand signals
    Show
    "4 people in that direction. Those are the main targets. Boat with rowers to that far side. Give me time to setup then sneak in. OK?"

How's the window looking? Large enough to fit through? Open? Locked? Creaky? Are we going to have to crash through it then drop down onto the shelf? If the windows is going to be an issue could I line up a shot, have Gregor take out the window with his sword, then fire?
    Last edited by Cavir; 2016-09-18 at 11:24 PM.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #538
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Gregor nodded at Ruark as he accepted the crossbow, slinging it over his shoulder along with the handful of proffered bolts.

Slinking toward the wall, Gregor replayed the picking of the lock in his mind: it was almost too easy. The thought threw him off a bit as he climbed the wall, making more noise than he normally would during such a simple task. Mentally berating himself for losing focus, Gregor steeled himself to remain in the moment.

He watched those inside the warehouse with Nazir, picking his targets for the upcoming battle, and tracing a path inside that should allow for a stealthy approach, or as stealthy as possible anyway.

Gregor was a little trepidatious about the fight to come. He'd seen most of his new companions fight in the hastily put together setup at the bar, but this situation would be entirely different.

During the moment of inaction, he loaded the crossbow and took a bead on the hooded figure inside. Taking a deep breath and letting it out slowly, he was ready for whatever came next.
    Last edited by Eplov; 2016-09-21 at 03:40 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Karl Doggerton

29. - Top - End - #539
    Titan in the Playground

Gerric stared up at Nazir as the elf waved and wiggled his fingers at him. His scouts and captains had all been taught signs to plan ambushes but it he been simple orders 'go right' or 'loose arrows.' He wasn't sure what half of what Nazir was trying to say.

"Four inside, and they have a rowboat so, sneak in?" He quickly looked to Kate to see if she got anything else out of Nazir's finger wagging.
    Last edited by Dienekes; 2016-09-27 at 05:04 PM.

30. - Top - End - #540
    Ogre in the Playground

Urukubarr was becoming frustrated with his own inability to remember, or at least come up with whatever significance this chant had. The power in his voice cut through the fog, but just barely. He remembered his old teachers, the few druids of the Ahvori, and his mentor, Grand Druid Uyarak. He had expressed to him the basics, to always master the basics before moving on to other teachings. Voice was one of the most basic ways to transfer or release power, and he struggled to remember his lessons of annunciation, pitch, and vibrations. Urukubarr continued to experiment with the chant, now very carefully testing volume to see if that is what is stopping his power from penetrating this fog. Although, he had his doubts if he possessed the power to dispel such a wide-reaching evil.