New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Torquemada Academy - IC

You've been standing at parade rest for the past two hours and are starting to feel it. The welcome speeches droned on longer than necessary, and orientation even longer than that. Finally, you've been separated out into your company. You're waiting around now in the yard outside your company's barracks with a bit of free time until your Company Commander arrives and assigns you to platoons and barracks.

It was explained during orientation that the Cadet Corps is organized as a brigade. The brigade is divided into four regiments, determined by class, and the regiments subdivided into four companies each, each with their own barracks. Each company is divided into 5 platoons, consisting of between four and six squads of four to five individuals each. You've already been informed that each squad will share a single dorm room...
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Aldhaven - May 27, 2010 and ongoing.
    Aldhaven Rules and Homebrew (aldhaven.com)

Character Repository
    Homebrew List
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Torquemada Academy - IC

"I'm not complaining, exactly, just a bit surprised. I mean, our teams are co-ed, right? Even at boarding school we had our own rooms, and I still felt cramped." May is talking to whoever happens to be near her, and she's the kind of young woman who is used to people listening. She's beautiful, dark haired and tan, though her buzz cut doesn't match her refined features. She holds herself with the easy confidence that comes with a privileged upbringing, but her tone is friendly and surprisingly cheerful, given the tedium of the morning.

"And when they say 'dorm room'," she continues, still cheerful, "How large are they talking? I may have to end up sending a bag or two home, depending. I wish they'd informed us beforehand, really."

Spoiler
    Show
    Anyone who wants to be near May can be; I decided to leave that up to you guys.
    Red Hand of Doom in Eberron IC | OOC | Rolls

LGBTitP

Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Spamalot in the Playground

"I don't mind if the space is small," Michelle says. "I'll just fold my stuff teeny-tiny. It'll be like back home."
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

May shrugs, unconvinced. "I mean, there are some things you can't fold, like shoes. I only brought a dozen pairs, I'm not one of those girls, but they've got to go somewhere, right?" She looks over at some of the taller students, then smiles. "At least I fit in just about any bed. I bet some of these guys are going to have to dangle their feet off one end."

She rubs the bristles on the side of her head, clearly unused to the shortness. "As for the guys, have they posted the squad compositions anywhere? I'd rather know and get the introductions over with." She offers Michelle a hand and a smile. "I'm May, by the way. May North."

LGBTitP

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Jake Silver

Finally freed from parade rest, Jake falls into a more relaxed posture. Having achieved his dream of joining the Inquisition, he was in an exceptionally good mood. Sure, he still had to make it through training, but that was for tomorrow to worry about.

Tall, blond, and blue-eyed, with a toned build and a clear-cut face, he looks like the stereotypical high-school athlete. Or he would, were there not the mass of deep, thin scars, like a thousand cuts, covering his left cheeck and running down the side of his neck, the full extend of the injury hidden by his uniform. With subconscious vigilance, his eyes dart around the yard, scanning the area for anything out of the usual. Though he had been off the streets for two years now, old habits died hard.

When he hears May and Michelle speak nearby, he laughs with genuine amusement. "Everything I own fits into a backpack anyway." And as long as it was dry and safe he certainly wouldn't complain about the space. Then he realizes he might not have been invited to the conversation. "Oh, sorry, didn't mean to butt in." He smiles
    Last edited by Battlemage; 2016-03-15 at 03:41 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    She offers Michelle a hand and a smile. "I'm May, by the way. May North."
    Quote Originally Posted by Battlemage View Post
    "Oh, sorry, didn't mean to butt in." He smiles
    Michelle gets a little self-conscious on the topic about fitting into a bed. This new addition to the conversation helps to distract though. "No no, it's okay. You can, uh, butt in. I'm Michelle Carter, by the way." She shakes May's hand and awaits the tall blond's introduction.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Jennifer knows who May is of course. It would be hard to spend any amount of time on those islands and not know who she was!

"Jennifer Johansen," she introduces herself to the students who've started chatting. Tall, lean, and with long chocolate hair past her shoulders she's quite glad May's buzz-cut wasn't mandatory!

"Individual rooms were a sixth form privilege for us," she contributes. "I'm expecting this to be similar to my third form experience; a bunk, two to three drawers and a half-metre hanging rail in a half-height closet. I got used to packing light. They made us take everything home at the end of every term," she continues, sharing her own experience of a british boarding school.

"The co-ed dorms thing is new though! If we're lucky we'll have a single bed, chest-high privacy screens and about six square metres each. If we're unlucky, bunk beds and open-plan. This is a military institution after all; I expect they expect us to just suck it up and deal." She casts an appraising look over some of the male students, trying to work out of any of them are going to be a problem. Honestly, she expects not though. Anyone with that kind of profile shouldn't have got past psych.

8. - Top - End - #8

Jake Silver

Jake's eyebrows rise slightly in surprise when he notices Michelle being taller than him by an inch or so, but he doesn't comment. "Hey Michelle and May, I'm Jake!" He has to suppress the urge to make a stupid M&M joke as he offers both of them a handshake. "Hi there as well", he adds when Jennifer joins the group.

As the topic turns to sleeping arrangements, Jake feels a slight blush creep up his face with the realization that he is the only guy in the impromptu group. "I've been in uniform for two years now, so far privacy has not been too high on the list of the army's priorities." He laughs. "But who knows, this is the Inquisition after all, not the infantry. Only the best and brightest serve here."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Karl runs his hand over his bald head, feeling the burn scar that's finally started to fade. His legs were sore from the overly long orientation, but feeling the rough patch of skin on his smooth head served to remind him why he was here. Hiking his duffle bag up onto his shoulder, he started heading toward the dorms.

As he walks, he notices the group of rather lovely ladies (plus Jake) walking nearby. Standing up a bit straighter, Karl heads over to introduce himself.
    "Good day to you" he says, reaching a hand out to whomever is closest. "Headed to the dorms too? I believe we're coming up on my building. Yes, right over there" Karl says as he points to one of the buildings.

10. - Top - End - #10

Michelle waves to the bald newcomer of the group, though not sure what to say. So instead she quietly commits names to memory.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

May meets and greets the small crowd of initiate Inquisitors with aplomb, catching names and working in a firm handshake for everyone. It was one of the first things her father had taught her; give everyone you meet a moment of attention, and never forget a name. You never know who's going to end up being important to you or your interests.

Her once-overs tell her something important about the group around her; they're all sharp, in excellent shape, and they hold themselves like people who are ready for trouble. The Inquisition doesn't pick slouches, it seems.

To Karl, she smiles and takes his hand, then raises an eyebrow. "Your building? That means you either live there, or you're very influential for someone your age. Either way, you should know about squad selection. When do we find out who we'll be working with?"

Spoiler
    Show
    I put a rank into Profession (Politician), after all, and I intend to roleplay it properly.
    Last edited by RaggedAngel; 2016-03-11 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Names are hard

LGBTitP

12. - Top - End - #12

BardGuy

Isaac -a quiet young man who is equally thankful the buzz-cut wasn't mandatory- looks up from the college documentation for the first time since the other students began speaking. He wafts a handful of paper in the air; the academy's welcome pamphlet, as well as his letter of acceptance listing the room assignment.

"It says that we'll be placed in dorm rooms with the rest of our squad."

He looks back down at the pamphlet before he continues, though he must surely have had time to read it several times over by now.

"Logically... if any of us have the same room assignment, it means we'll be squad-mates."
    Last edited by fyleisch; 2016-03-11 at 03:21 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Kelly looks from the piece of paper in her hands to the surrounding buildings back to the paper and back at the buildings again before sighing and shaking her head. "Typical. First day here and I've already managed to get lost. It would help if every dorm didn't look exactly the same."

She begins walking amongst the flood of students making their way towards their dorms. Still focused on each building's number, she fails to pay attention to where she is going and inadvertantly collides with another student on the path. "Gah! Oh geez, I'm sorry, that was my fault, I wasn't paying attention."

She flashes a smile, before holding up the piece of paper with her assigned building and room number on it. "By the way, you wouldn't happen to know where this dorm is, would you?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Whoever wants to say hi by collision, feel free.
    Last edited by CrimsonKnight; 2016-03-11 at 02:47 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

Heath Craft

*As soon as the parade formation is over and the group is allowed leisure time, Heath pulls his walkman from his duffel and throws his headphones around his neck, the music loud enough for him to hear as he moves over to one of the buildings, watching as the other students start to mingle.*
    No surprise, you're always on the outside. That's your job.

*Lost in his own thoughts, he is caught off gaurd as Kelly bumps into him, his hand reaching out to stabilize the girl and himself.*
    "Whoa. Easy. What....? Okay. Memorize the number and watch where you're going. That one is right over here. Relax. You're in the right area. We're just waiting for our co."
    Last edited by TheMightyQuinn; 2016-03-13 at 04:55 AM.
    "I'm back baby!"
    - B.B.R.

15. - Top - End - #15

Kelly grins. "Thanks a lot. My hometown schools were tiny compared to this place, I've never been anywhere this big before. Sorry, I will try to be more aware of other people."

She takes Heath's hand before he has a chance to retract it and gives it a quite firm shake. "Kelly Rojas, nice to meet ya. I guess I'll see you around since we're in the same cadet company."
    Last edited by CrimsonKnight; 2016-03-11 at 03:53 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

BardGuy

"So..." Isaac says, looking up with a sudden intensity.

He'd tagged along with the group, feeling the awkward outsider among socialites and athletes, many of whom stood nearly a foot taller than him, but as conversation turns to the mundane he clearly thinks he's found an opening to discuss what's really been weighing on his mind the entire time.

"Do any of you know anything about... them? The hetski's - the heretical scientists. I've heard some stories, but... the media is more controlled than you might realize. I don't know anything for certain."

He looks around at the others uncertainly.
    Last edited by fyleisch; 2016-03-11 at 04:19 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Heath Craft

"No problem. I dont think there's anyone around here that you're gonna hurt by bumping into them, but it's best to avoid problems."

*Setting his bags down, he runs a hand through his short hair*
    "Crazy. I had always heard The Academy was a prestigious place, but I didn't think I'd see so many people here. How bad is it getting out there that this many people will all be fighting?"

*Setting his bag down, he pulls out a pack of gum, offering her a stick.*
    "Kelly? Heath. Nice to see not everyone worries about rank. A pleasure."
    Last edited by TheMightyQuinn; 2016-03-13 at 04:55 AM.
    "I'm back baby!"
    - B.B.R.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

"Yes, that building is where I lived my summer classes. Although I suppose I should double check with the CO to see if I'm still there."

Karl turns to Isaac. "I've only heard stories too, though I heard rumors they may have been involved with...well..with why I'm here." Karl absent-mindedly reaches up to his scars, and sort of trails off, starting up at the sky.

19. - Top - End - #19

"Oh my, those kind of rumors?" Michelle whispers.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

20. - Top - End - #20

BardGuy

"I am sorry. Forgive me. I don't even know if we're meant to be talking about it, and I can see I've stirred some painful memories."

Isaac finds a very interesting blade of grass to stare at.

21. - Top - End - #21

Jake Silver

Seeing Isaac join the group Jake greets him with a laid-back wave of the hand. Staying with his own thoughts for a while, the young man is content to just listen to the newcomer at first. When the conversation takes a turn to the serious, though, his fingers snap to the scars on his face before he can get them under control and awkwardly runs them through his unruly blond hair as if that had been his intention all along. His lively blue eyes have gone very, very cold. "No..." he says slowly, "I don't know anything for sure either..." That wasn't quite true. He did know one thing. But it was too early to talk about that. If ever. Belatedly, he takes note of Karl's reaction. Possible similarities here.

He makes a mental effort and consciously relaxes his features, which had hardened for a moment. "But I'm sure we'll learn all about it soon enough," he continues in a light and deliberately playful tone, finger guns blazing. "After all we're Inquisitors now, right? Watch out evil, the class of '96 is on the hunt! It's all over for you!"

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by fyleisch View Post
    "I am sorry. Forgive me. I don't even know if we're meant to be talking about it, and I can see I've stirred some painful memories."

Isaac finds a very interesting blade of grass to stare at.
    "Ah, don't worry about it pal" Karl punches Issac lightly on the shoulder. "You didn't know. Like I said, I wouldn't be here otherwise. I was planning on becoming a doctor, I would have been able to help people out in my hometown. But now in the Inquisition, I'll have a chance to help people out around the world, you know?"

23. - Top - End - #23

BardGuy

"A doctor, excellent!" Isaac falls back alongside Karl, and lets the rest of the group gain some distance as they talk.

"I was starting to think everyone here had joined up for the sake of their resume, or to act out a personal grudge. Did you have any medical training before you 'signed up'?"

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

"A couple pre-med classes, and I was working as an EMT. I also worked an internship with Dr. Takewada here. He's the one who convinced me to join up."

25. - Top - End - #25

BardGuy

"An internship? Did they ever let you dissect any of the 'specimens'? From the war? There's so much to learn!- Uh, their weaknesses, vulnerabilities, and so on." He adds, quickly.

"I always thought it was odd that the standard squads were not arranged around a dedicated medic."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Karl raises his eyebrow as Isaac asks his question.

"No, I hadn't gotten to working with cadavers yet. My training is mostly first aid, though I did have a few lectures on working on...odd patients.

What about you? What brings you to the Inquisition?"

27. - Top - End - #27

The thought of dissecting subjects seemed a bit daunting to Michelle. Weren't some subjects human?
    Digo Dragon - Artist

28. - Top - End - #28

Kelly snorted in amusement while accepting the offered gum from Heath and popping it into her mouth. "Pull rank? Hahaha, not likely. I'm just a small town nobody, pretty sure my Mom would knock half my front teeth out if I tried lording it up over anybody, even if my uncle is an Inquisitor. Especially as... well, nevermind, I'm sure it'll make the rounds soon enough."

She appeared to be momentarily gloomy before her face cleared up and took on a thoughtful expression as she pondered the rest of what he'd said. "It is worst than the news lets on, at least according to Uncle Sam. But I think it's more the school, or rather how frigging tough it is. I bet the attrition rate is through the roof as they weed out the ones who can't hack it. Not like that doesn't exclude me, because God, those entrance exams were brutal. Pretty sure I just barely scraped through on the written parts. Already know I'm gonna need to put in a lot of work hitting the books if I don't want to flunk out on the academics."
    Last edited by CrimsonKnight; 2016-03-13 at 05:55 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29

Heath Craft

"Your uncle? An Inquisitor. Wow."
    *Lookinng the girl over with a bit of a frown, he shrugs and scoops up his pack, nodding toward the other clustered group of students, starting in their direction.*
    "Looks like tha's the rest of our group. I bet we're right next to them before they even notice us."
    *With a chuckle, he waits to fall into step with her.*

"I don't know about the written exam. I mean, I studied, and it was hard, but not impossible. I think the military designs those things to force you to shift gears - working one part of your brain, then suddenly another, to see how you perforom changing tasks under pressure. I don't know. Just my guess. I passsed, I guess. I'm not really sure why they let me in. I mean, I can hit a target reasonably well, sure, but I wasn't even the highest score amongst our company marksmen. Some of those guys were incredible."

Not yet. not the best shot yet
    *He's quiet for a moment, his jaw clenching as he thinks, then slowly relaxing.

"I think it hinged on the psych eval. They said something about that being important."
    Last edited by TheMightyQuinn; 2016-03-13 at 04:54 AM.
    "I'm back baby!"
    - B.B.R.

30. - Top - End - #30

"It did ask a lot of questions about how we think," Michelle added.
    Digo Dragon - Artist