New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. V: You Joined the Cavalry.

Quote Originally Posted by Grytorm View Post
    I had a really weird idea, more Avengers than Heroes of Shield (which I haven't watched). Is it weird that I wish they had cast Lucy Liu as Black Widow? Change the backstory and ethnicity. But still a spy originating in a communist country working for SHIELD. Make the show have a slightly more diverse cast.

Or they could find another Asian-american actress. Or go international with a straight up Asian actress. Just a weird though I had.
    Well, AGENTS of Shield has basically a Chinese Black Widow on the team, so there's that?

2. - Top - End - #182
    Troll in the Playground

No diversity? They have a green man a bowman and an ironman. Soon they'll have an antman and a Spider-Man.

Seriously, Agents of Shield had more diversity out of the gate then ANY Marvel movie. It really underscores the Hollywood criticism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    No diversity? They have a green man a bowman and an ironman. Soon they'll have an antman and a Spider-Man.

Seriously, Agents of Shield had more diversity out of the gate then ANY Marvel movie. It really underscores the Hollywood criticism.
    Not by much though. First episode you just had May and Skye as not-white main characters. Thor had Heimdall and Hogun, Captain America 2 had Falcon and Fury.
    Thats...
    wow thats super depressing.
    I Am A:Neutral Good Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-11
    Constitution-16
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-12
    Charisma-16

4. - Top - End - #184
    Troll in the Playground

They also had J. August Richards as I believe the first non-white (human) character with superpowers in the MCU, although his role turned out to be of occasional guest star (albeit fairly prominent) it was something I recall piquing my interest in the show's premiere.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

I resent the handsome white guy becoming the Big Bad Evil Guy.

Last edited by Pex; 2016-04-07 at 11:39 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Spoiler: Still spoilers I guess?
    Show

Great episode, loved the scenes with May and the (now-late, I guess?) Dr Garner. I totally agree with Pex, I think Lash is at the very least going to play a pivotal role in killing itWard, if not do the deed himself.

Also, regarding the scene with the dying Charlie and Sk Daisy*: did anyone else feel like they were trying to sow the seeds of doubt in Daisy's stance against the Inhuman 'vaccine'? As thread has already pointed out, there's a pretty good Rogue-parallel here, as thanks to Charlie's powers, he had to isolate himself from his family and pretty much everyone else.

Regards,
    thatSeniorGuy.

*I loved that fact that when Coulson was concerned about Daisy's safety, he reverted to calling her Skye

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    She was about to say "--this new place that just opened up, Starshinia, which was founded by a red-headed aasimar, but was just taken over by an Azurite fallen paladin turned blackguard. Apropos of nothing, I hear they just invented a new spell called Halflings Don't Have To Breathe."

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by thatSeniorGuy View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

*I loved that fact that when Coulson was concerned about Daisy's safety, he reverted to calling her Skye

Spoiler: Skye
    Show
    Something about that scene made me wonder if it was an OOC gaffe they decided to run with.
    Last edited by huttj509; 2016-04-07 at 10:16 PM.

8. - Top - End - #188

Quote Originally Posted by huttj509 View Post
    Spoiler: Skye
    Show
    Something about that scene made me wonder if it was an OOC gaffe they decided to run with.
    Spoiler
    Show
    They have mentioned they had a "swear jar" for Skye name calling, and you don't make a swear jar if there isn't a problem. Given all the wacky **** these people get into (look at the Vines Peggy Carter's actress posts) it wouldn't surprise me if they did that.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Re Skye
    Show
    Coulson has a problem with Skye's new name in the first episode this season. In the episode after the break (I think) he calls her Skye on recovering consciousness (or one of the other times that occurred).

It's an in character problem they are choosing to highlight because it reflects the writers and presumably the audiences problem adjusting to the new name.

Also if I can't remember specific cases of someone losing and recovering consciousness this does not say good things about their long term brain health. Forget football injuries, someone needs to do a study regarding the long term health consequences of being a character in a TV drama!
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.

10. - Top - End - #190

The long term consequences are the same as for the rest of us. Death, probably within a century.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ettin in the Playground

the episode reminded me in parts of the MIB III movie.
    on an unrelated note
    Spoiler
    Show
    did we just see how Daisy is going to die? I don't remember her wearing a crucifix

I didn't get to see the "we'll return in a moment" if there was any.. and the nex episode preview.. can anybody point me in a direction where I could see that?
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    on an unrelated note
    Spoiler
    Show
    did we just see how Daisy is going to die? I don't remember her wearing a crucifix

I didn't get to see the "we'll return in a moment" if there was any.. and the nex episode preview.. can anybody point me in a direction where I could see that?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yoyo's the one that wears a crucifix. Mack is gonna be ticked.

One thing I can't quite work out about this is whether Charles just saved Daisy in more ways than one. Namely, here is one of her kind, crying about how he was never able to hold his baby again, and how he lives in terror of gaining an ability like his. Robin is the poster child for the vaccine: a child with known inhuman markers whose parent expressly wished to spare her the transformation. How does Daisy respond to this?

Also, is it just me or is it suspicious that Lash didn't speak? We know he's capable of it. Why do I get the feeling there's a lot more Garner in there than anyone expected?
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

on an unrelated note
    Spoiler
    Show
    That's a repeat of the scene that opened the second half of the season, which at that time was 3 months in the future and shown only to the audience. The crucifix looks like the one worn by Yo-yo, I think.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

14. - Top - End - #194
    Troll in the Playground

on an unrelated note
    Spoiler
    Show

You can see the tag (I think this is what it's called, since a stinger occurs post-credits), here: (I think you need a cable subscription)
    http://abc.go.com/shows/marvels-agen...3/15-spacetime

Spoiler: Description of the scene
    Show

NotWard and Iron Chef America Chairman are discussing a technology facility, which is not the exo-suit technology.

Malick calls the Chairman reminding him that he is his head of security and should be by his side at all time. Chairman guy disagrees and says he's right where he's supposed to be (ooo, loyalties shifted!)

Then NotWard asks the Chairman if Malick's okay and the Chairman responds that it sounds like Malick's scared.

Here's the promo for the next episode, spoilers obviously: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0gk_tJKdGY

15. - Top - End - #195
    Troll in the Playground

I liked this episode. Better than the last couple, especially.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

Finally goten around to catching up with the second half of the season. I rather like what they are doing, mostly.
    Except... that Russia episode was pretty dumb. I mean, I liked most of it but the resolution at the end......
    Spoiler
    Show

So really, you got them out by saying they don't work for you and then they get kicked out of the show because they can't work for you anymore? Wow, why does any spy ever get put on trial?

I would start a physics argument over Fitz position in the last episode but I guess that would be more philosophical than anything.
    And yay, more Ward. Or not quite but close enough. I am however not sure if I should carry over my hate for old!Ward to him...
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

17. - Top - End - #197

It's just as well if you do.

Fun fact: one of Brett Dalton's earlier roles was as some financial jerk on Blue Bloods (late season two). I cheered watching a rerun when pre-Ward staggered into the ER with massive head trauma. That's how good of a job Brett's done playing Ward as the utmost in despisable.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Troll in the Playground

Cheers! It takes a great actor to play such a loathsome villain.

So which was the most heinous creature? The disgusting flesh-eating parasite that turn inhumans into drones?

Oh and in addition to that finance executive we're talking about...there's also Brett Dalton's role as the Hive in Agents of SHIELD.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ettin in the Playground

Can we agree that they dressed Ward like the most stereotypical and cartoonish bad guy they possibly could, complete with coattails flowing in the wind?
    Last edited by dehro; 2016-04-11 at 03:59 AM.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #200
    Firbolg in the Playground

My wife and I both thought that he looked a lot like Neo in the Matrix sequels with that getup. I suppose that could have been intentional, but why?

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hustlertwo View Post
    My wife and I both thought that he looked a lot like Neo in the Matrix sequels with that getup. I suppose that could have been intentional, but why?
    My girlfriend and I thought the same.. if not for the lack of sunglasses.. I think the writers were having a little fun at our expenses.. but for me, it really made it difficult to suspend disbelief and not facepalm mid-episode.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ettin in the Playground

I dunno, I think he rocks the look. Hive knew exactly what it was doing

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire View Post
    I dunno, I think he rocks the look. Hive knew exactly what it was doing
    Hive got some doubts about that
    Last edited by dehro; 2016-04-11 at 08:47 AM.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #204
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hustlertwo View Post
    It's called Neo's "Save the World" costume, and it's been a popular fancy designer-garb rocked by lots of celebrities over the past decade. Even saw a Secretary of State wearing it.

*cue photo gallery*

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: just watched episode 14
    Show

Something that's been bothering me since the beginning of this show is its treatment of NPCs. If you don't subscribe to Phil Coulson's exact worldview and methods, you're probably dead as soon as the writers can make it happen, unless you have a cameo in the movies prebooked, from Hand all the way up through Gonzales and Price, and now they're needlessly turning the only surviving member of mainstream SHIELD that was both competent and not evil into a villain. Needlessly, because we can't have anything about non-Coulson SHIELD looking good.

My other big nitpick is that they can't decide whether SHIELD is a US agency or a worldwide one with global jurisdiction.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    Show

Something that's been bothering me since the beginning of this show is its treatment of NPCs. If you don't subscribe to Phil Coulson's exact worldview and methods, you're probably dead as soon as the writers can make it happen, unless you have a cameo in the movies prebooked, from Hand all the way up through Gonzales and Price, and now they're needlessly turning the only surviving member of mainstream SHIELD that was both competent and not evil into a villain. Needlessly, because we can't have anything about non-Coulson SHIELD looking good.

My other big nitpick is that they can't decide whether SHIELD is a US agency or a worldwide one with global jurisdiction.

I think the answer to that last nitpick is : yes.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Troll in the Playground

Show

Who are we talking about here?
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

28. - Top - End - #208
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I'm pretty sure that he is talking about Blake.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thatSeniorGuy View Post
    Spoiler: Still spoilers I guess?
    Show

Great episode, loved the scenes with May and the (now-late, I guess?) Dr Garner. I totally agree with Pex, I think Lash is at the very least going to play a pivotal role in killing itWard, if not do the deed himself.

Also, regarding the scene with the dying Charlie and Sk Daisy*: did anyone else feel like they were trying to sow the seeds of doubt in Daisy's stance against the Inhuman 'vaccine'? As thread has already pointed out, there's a pretty good Rogue-parallel here, as thanks to Charlie's powers, he had to isolate himself from his family and pretty much everyone else.

You know those two themes run in opposite directions, if "every inhuman gets his/her/its? power for a reason...well a vaccine would prevent that higher purpose from being fulfilled (like you know saving Daisy...that's been the role of TWO so far).

Show

I'd like to second the below.

Quote Originally Posted by ryuplaneswalker View Post
    I think the answer to that last nitpick is : yes.
    It's similarly a mixed entity in the comics. SHIELD is nominally UN but the US effectively controlled it and used it to enforce Registration.

30. - Top - End - #210

New Episode!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quite a good one. We get some more characterization for Malick and his family, we get to see Hive's true form as well as more of what he can do. Daisy and Lincoln go meet up with a dude to learn more about him while the rest of the team investigates a lab Hydra ran over. And hey, we got to see May do her thing again. It's been awhile, and it's quite a good fight too.

We also see that Hive has the memory of ALL the people he's eaten. Oh dear. I uh...wasn't expecting that scene to go the way it did! Not sure how I feel about it, but I think at the end of the day it's okay.

Man, Lincoln's kinda messed up though, holy crap. He almost killed his girlfriend, he killed one of his best friends, his entire life's kind of a ****ed up.

The only problem with the future vision concerns I have is that just from seeing the necklace in that vision I'm fairly confidant the person who'll die is Yoyo. So I think some of the scenes of "oh no are they going to die? Are they the one?" are a little less good than they could be. It did lead to activating the Secret Warriors though, so that's cool!