New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 42 of 51 FirstFirst ... 173233343536373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1504
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Magic the Gathering XXII: Where Puns Go to Die

Quote Originally Posted by Gastronomie View Post
    While I do like the idea of a Bolas-exclusive support card, Dark Intimations doesn't quite ring the bell for me as much as Cruel Ultimatum did. And it seems like it's difficult to build 3-color decks in Standard (am I right with this?)

I will probably first try a Modern Cruel Control-ish something. Thanks for the advice!
    One of the more popular decks in standard is three color energy (red, blue and green is known as RUG (Black gets to be abbreviated as B, so Blue is U) or Temur, after the R/U/G faction from Kahns of Tarkir) but it is taking advantage of the trio of Servant of the Conduit, Attune with Aether and Aether Hub along side a bunch of other cards that care about energy.

2. - Top - End - #1232

Quote Originally Posted by Gauntlet View Post
    If you would consider Magic Online, then the Penny Dreadful custom format, while Bolas isn't legal in it, has a quite powerful deck which regularly places in tournaments, which is built around the combo of Cruel Ultimatum and Living Lore. Penny Dreadful is a format where the only legal cards are those that cost 0.01 tix (~$0.01) at the start of each season, so it's very cheap to get into. It is only really played on MTGO though, so if you want to play paper magic it won't be much help.

https://pennydreadfulmagic.com/about/

Example of a tournament winning Cruel Ultimatum list:

https://pennydreadfulmagic.com/decks/3852/
    This may be my new favorite format, I looked at the list of cards by frequency and its pretty much a greatest hits of cards I've been brewing with since I got got back into Magic.

3. - Top - End - #1233
    Ogre in the Playground

If you would consider Magic Online, then the Penny Dreadful custom format, while Bolas isn't legal in it, has a quite powerful deck which regularly places in tournaments, which is built around the combo of Cruel Ultimatum and Living Lore. Penny Dreadful is a format where the only legal cards are those that cost 0.01 tix (~$0.01) at the start of each season, so it's very cheap to get into. It is only really played on MTGO though, so if you want to play paper magic it won't be much help.

https://pennydreadfulmagic.com/about/

Example of a tournament winning Cruel Ultimatum list:

https://pennydreadfulmagic.com/decks/3852/
    Well, I so far only plan to play with IRL friends, so I think I might not play Magic Online. The format itself does seem very interesting, as well as the deck itself, though. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by solidork View Post
    One of the more popular decks in standard is three color energy (red, blue and green is known as RUG (Black gets to be abbreviated as B, so Blue is U) or Temur, after the R/U/G faction from Kahns of Tarkir) but it is taking advantage of the trio of Servant of the Conduit, Attune with Aether and Aether Hub along side a bunch of other cards that care about energy.
    I do love these sorts of synergetic cards, but I assume it's difficult to throw these into a Grixis deck when there's so much Green? That gimmick does seem fun, so after trying Grixis I might try that out too as well. Thanks~

BTW, I plan to create an Eldrazi deck in addition to Nicol Bolas.dek. Probably Modern, because I plan to use the Urza lands for lamp strategies. I really am interested in playing big, scary monsters (I've played other card games in the past, but almost all my decks revolved around heavy trump cards), and the Eldrazi bosses seem really appealing to me, both in terms of effects and their flavor/illustration.
    Spoiler: Avatar
    Show

^ Fantastic avatar made by Professor Gnoll. Yaya Tokaz, from the manga "Kukul and Nagi". ^
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    Only on a DnD forum would discussing the methods for jamming a T-Rex into a 10x10x10 box be a thing.
    Extended Signature: Homebrew Stuff
    Unlimited Blade Works: The Guide to the Ultimate Paladin/Sorcerer Multiclass

4. - Top - End - #1234
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gastronomie View Post
    BTW, I plan to create an Eldrazi deck in addition to Nicol Bolas.dek. Probably Modern, because I plan to use the Urza lands for lamp strategies. I really am interested in playing big, scary monsters (I've played other card games in the past, but almost all my decks revolved around heavy trump cards), and the Eldrazi bosses seem really appealing to me, both in terms of effects and their flavor/illustration.
    In standard, that deck was Eldrazi Green; Joroga Treespeaker, Overgrown Battlement, and Primeval Titan were the main ramp engine for the deck, with a bit of Summoning Trap and Green Sun's Zenith to ramp better. In Modern, that deck is R/G Tron, with Sylvan Scrying, Expedition Map, and Urzatron to assemble all the pieces by turn 4, using Chromatic Star/Chromatic Sphere and Grove of the Burnwillows to get colored mana, and Ancient Stirrings to dig up the missing pieces, whether they're lands or big threats.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

5. - Top - End - #1235

I've created a deck that might actually maybe work? I haven't tested it yet, but it feels somewhat viable. Here's a link (mtggoldfish) to the list. My game plan is to use Amulet of Vigor with fast land strategies (Summer Bloom et al) to get a bunch of lands on the battlefield quickly, which we can sac to Scapeshift to get lots of Urza lands and hardcast Emrakul, the Aeons Torn. In theory, we can hardcast her on turn three. It's complicated, but it's possible.

Spoiler: The dream
    Show
    Turn one exile Simian Spirit Guide, play Amulet of Vigor. Drop a Gruul Turf, float GR and pick it back up. Play Summer Bloom, then drop two Forests and a Gruul Turf, picking up a Forest, and play Rites of Flourishing. Pass.

EOT:
    Battlefield: Forest, Gruul Turf, Amulet of Vigor, Rites of Flourishing
    Exile: Simian Spirit Guide
    Graveyard: Summer Bloom
    Hand: Forest

Turn two draw two cards, playing two Forests. Pass.

EOT:
    Battlefield: Forest, Forest, Forest, Gruul Turf, Amulet of Vigor, Rites of Flourishing
    Exile: SSG
    Graveyard: Bloom

Turn three draw two cards, drop a Forest, tap out (MP: G G G G GR), drop Scapeshift (MP: GR). Sacrifice everything, search for 3 Urza's Tower, one Urza's Mine, and one Urza's Power Plant. Tap out again (MP: 13GR) and cast Emrakul. Her cast trigger resolves, pass the turn to yourself.

EOT:
    Battlefield: Urza's Tower, Urza's Tower, Urza's Tower, Urza's Mine, Urza's Power Plant, Amulet of Vigor, Rites of Flourishing, Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    Graveyard, Bloom, Forest, Forest, Forest, Forest, Turf, Scapeshift
    Hand: Hellbent

It's fairly resilient, and as far as I can tell has decent matchups against midrangey decks. I'm worried I'm overlooking something in the sideboard, though, so if advice can be given there I'm all for it. Creeping Corrosion, maybe?
    LGBTitP
    Proudly Founded Team 2

"Everyone starts off making garbage.
    If you finally make something halfway
    decent, it'll be the best day of your life."
    Nehra, inventor

6. - Top - End - #1236
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LastCenturion View Post
    I've created a deck that might actually maybe work? I haven't tested it yet, but it feels somewhat viable. Here's a link (mtggoldfish) to the list. My game plan is to use Amulet of Vigor with fast land strategies (Summer Bloom et al) to get a bunch of lands on the battlefield quickly, which we can sac to Scapeshift to get lots of Urza lands and hardcast Emrakul, the Aeons Torn. In theory, we can hardcast her on turn three. It's complicated, but it's possible.

Spoiler: The dream
    Show
    Turn one exile Simian Spirit Guide, play Amulet of Vigor. Drop a Gruul Turf, float GR and pick it back up. Play Summer Bloom, then drop two Forests and a Gruul Turf, picking up a Forest, and play Rites of Flourishing. Pass.

EOT:
    Battlefield: Forest, Gruul Turf, Amulet of Vigor, Rites of Flourishing
    Exile: Simian Spirit Guide
    Graveyard: Summer Bloom

Turn two draw two cards, playing two Forests. Pass.

EOT:
    Battlefield: Forest, Forest, Forest, Gruul Turf, Amulet of Vigor, Rites of Flourishing
    Graveyard: Bloom

Turn three draw two cards, drop a Forest, tap out (MP: G G G G GR), drop Scapeshift (MP: GR). Sacrifice everything, search for 3 Urza's Tower, one Urza's Mine, and one Urza's Power Plant. Tap out again (MP: 13GR) and cast Emrakul. Her cast trigger resolves, pass the turn to yourself.

EOT:
    Battlefield: Urza's Tower, Urza's Tower, Urza's Tower, Urza's Mine, Urza's Power Plant, Amulet of Vigor, Rites of Flourishing, Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    Graveyard, Bloom, Forest, Forest, Forest, Forest, Turf, Scapeshift
    Hand: Hellbent

It's fairly resilient, and as far as I can tell has decent matchups against midrangey decks. I'm worried I'm overlooking something in the sideboard, though, so if advice can be given there I'm all for it. Creeping Corrosion, maybe?
    Summer Bloom is banned in Modern. Specifically because of decks like this, actually.

7. - Top - End - #1237

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    Summer Bloom is banned in Modern. Specifically because of decks like this, actually.
    Huh. TIL. Any suggestions on replacing it? Azusa, maybe? Or maybe just fill out the playsets of Farseek and Edge of Autumn. I guess the turn 3 Emrakul dream is dead.
    LGBTitP
    Proudly Founded Team 2

"Everyone starts off making garbage.
    If you finally make something halfway
    decent, it'll be the best day of your life."
    Nehra, inventor

8. - Top - End - #1238
    Ettin in the Playground

I've been playing MTG for a yearish now. This is the current edition of my EDH deck.

any opinions?
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Sagara
    It's not Yggdrasil or Helheim you're facing, it's the cold rule that says the world demands sacrifice in exchange of hope. Destroy that rule and change the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox Mulder
    I did not lie, I wilfully participated in a campaign of misinformation

Murdered by Furthur Maths.

9. - Top - End - #1239
    Troll in the Playground

Hard to give opinions on a broken link.
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

10. - Top - End - #1240
    Ettin in the Playground

what? OOooh Fixed the link, apparantly I forgot to set it to public.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

It's not Yggdrasil or Helheim you're facing, it's the cold rule that says the world demands sacrifice in exchange of hope. Destroy that rule and change the world.

11. - Top - End - #1241
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by The_Admiral View Post
    what? OOooh Fixed the link, apparantly I forgot to set it to public.
    1. What is your budget? Always put this in.

Biggest questions I have are why are you using those particular counterspells and why you aren't running more control magic effects? In multiplayer having better, more expensive counterspells is better than 1-2 mana ones you are going to have difficulty getting value out of, and other people will just give you critters.

List of better counterspells:

Also what does your party say about infinite combos or extra turns?
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2017-09-02 at 12:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

12. - Top - End - #1242
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    1. What is your budget? Always put this in.

Biggest questions I have are why are you using those particular counterspells and why you aren't running more control magic effects? In multiplayer having better, more expensive counterspells is better than 1-2 mana ones you are going to have difficulty getting value out of, and other people will just give you critters.

List of better counterspells:

Also what does your party say about infinite combos or extra turns?
    Ahh sorry, it's an extra 100-150 USD on top of the current list, the budget that is. Main reason I'm running the 2-1 mana counterspells is because I don't want to have to leave 4 mana open to protect my wincon or stop someone from going off. They're okay with infinite combos. Essentially I'm not running Mother May I, I'm running, "Can I win this turn and what stops me from doing so?"
    Last edited by The_Admiral; 2017-09-02 at 02:31 AM.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #1243
    Ogre in the Playground

Disdainful Stroke and Stubborn Denial can be very useful in Commander.
    Copy this to your signature if you love Jade_Tarem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

Dual-wield the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.

14. - Top - End - #1244
    Troll in the Playground

At this point I'm considering gaddog teeg to counter combo decks....
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

15. - Top - End - #1245
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    Why? Combos are fun and fair. :P
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #1246
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    Luckily Teeg doesn't counter bloodchief/mindcrank combo (barring the removal the deck actually runs).

17. - Top - End - #1247
    Titan in the Playground

The best way to counter combos is the social contract. Discuss with your friends the type of game you want to play. Then if they disagree with your assessment, you have a few options. You can either try to convince them (good luck), you can overcompensate and play to the meta they "say" they want (by playing some ludicrous and "totally fair" combo deck), you can find a new group entirely, or you can just accept that this is the life you live and you won't get to play the Commander you want.

I've seriously considered making a "you don't get to have fun deck" to help explain to people why I don't like certain aspects of Commander. I'm not sure if it would work, but sometimes I just hate people.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

18. - Top - End - #1248
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    The best way to counter combos is the social contract. Discuss with your friends the type of game you want to play. Then if they disagree with your assessment, you have a few options. You can either try to convince them (good luck), you can overcompensate and play to the meta they "say" they want (by playing some ludicrous and "totally fair" combo deck), you can find a new group entirely, or you can just accept that this is the life you live and you won't get to play the Commander you want.

I've seriously considered making a "you don't get to have fun deck" to help explain to people why I don't like certain aspects of Commander. I'm not sure if it would work, but sometimes I just hate people.
    Well yeah I started playing in a meta with a mostly tuned Yisan, a near complete Garbiter, Animar Combo and the like. I started playing magic in a CEDH meta.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #1249
    Titan in the Playground

I certainly wouldn't be playing in that meta, so I can't offer any actual constructive advice besides "you should just be trying to combo off on turn 3 every game because that's trivial, even through disruption for some decks." Commander is an easily broken format, if people are going to try to play the best things you may as well break it in half as hard as possible.

20. - Top - End - #1250
    Ogre in the Playground

Green in Ixalan
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...looks very sad. It doesn't get much color fixing or ramp, while UBR does. And the next-best ramp after Treasures is in transform artifacts.
    Last edited by Bucky; 2017-09-05 at 01:32 PM.
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

21. - Top - End - #1251
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Green in Ixalan
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...looks very sad. It doesn't get much color fixing or ramp, while UBR does. And the next-best ramp after Treasures is in transform artifacts.
    Bah our goal in Ixilan should be going for a pirate treasure win. :P
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #1252

Green has a ton of dinosaurs with high mana costs. I'd be very surprised if there weren't a reasonable number of decent ramp cards.

23. - Top - End - #1253

DrowGuy

Got bored and checked the Magic website...huh. Next set features a Hearthstone mechanic, the return of raid, and action word "get a land on your hand or a +1/+1 with the possible cost of a card." That scared me before the "multiple Jaces" thing appeared. Oh man, that'll turn some folk in their graves...
    Cookie Count: One

Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Spoiler: True Facts
    Show

24. - Top - End - #1254
    Ogre in the Playground

As if Doubling Season planeswalker decks needed an easier way to go infinite
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

25. - Top - End - #1255
    Ogre in the Playground

Since I generally prefer to pretend Heathstone exists, what is the "Hearthstone mechanic"?

Also Doubling Season decks are just sort of generically bad in the first place; having infinite Jaces doesn't make them any better. I just want to do it against one of my friends, who despises Jace.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

26. - Top - End - #1256
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post
    Since I generally prefer to pretend Heathstone exists, what is the "Hearthstone mechanic"?

Also Doubling Season decks are just sort of generically bad in the first place; having infinite Jaces doesn't make them any better. I just want to do it against one of my friends, who despises Jace.
    I guess it's Enrage, but given the huge engine differences between Magic and Hearthstone, Enrage in Magic is much more flexible and interesting than in Hearthstone, which can only passively buff minions that have damage on them (and damage doesn't go away at end of turn). In Magic you can do things like damage other creatures and target things.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

27. - Top - End - #1257
    Titan in the Playground

It's mostly funny that Jace makes infinite Jaces with Doubling Season, which means you just have several million Jaces. Also probably some illusions afterwards, but still, a million Jaces.

28. - Top - End - #1258

Let's be honest, if you have Doubling Season you probably have better things to be going infinite with than new Jace. After all, it's not like we are lacking in planeswalkers that do absurd things with doubling season, and this Jace gives your opponent a whole turn before he actually kills them. Jace AoT is where it's at.

They actually talked about Jace being a polarising character recently. The basic idea was this:

- If you like Jace, you're happy - this set's story is about Jace.
    - If you don't like Jace, you're happy - Jace is having an awful time.

The first story article on the site has gone up, incidentally, and actually wasn't bad, in my opinion. Here's hoping Jace becomes a bit less smug as a result, which seems like a plausible outcome.

29. - Top - End - #1259
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm hoping that we'll see less focus on the main 5 planeswalkers since they got stomped on by Big Daddy Bolas.

...admittedly, going straight into a Jace block after Bolas laid the smackdown causes a small amount of bile for me, but I'm okay since everything else in the set is sweet, what with the pirates, dinosaurs, and a bunch of good reprints.

I am sad that it's been confirmed that we're not getting any Vampirates, though.
    Last edited by Shadow of the Sun; 2017-09-07 at 03:49 AM.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

30. - Top - End - #1260
    Ogre in the Playground

Let's be honest, if you have Doubling Season you probably have better things to be going infinite with than new Jace.
    I'd far rather use Samut. Go get Emrakul, The Aeons Torn and Dragonlord Kolaghan. Swing 21 in the air immediately. Annhilate 6.
    Last edited by Svata; 2017-09-07 at 04:05 AM.
    Copy this to your signature if you love Jade_Tarem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

Dual-wield the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.