Ettin in the Playground

Default Random Banter D&D 3.5e Campaign IC, Thread II

OOC || Dice || IC I

Random Banter D&D 3.5e Campaign IC, Thread II
    --

00:40, Thursday, Early Winter, CI 200
    Countdown to Solstice Celebrations: 40:20
    Countdown to the New Year: 47:20

Inside Rasua's Temple / The Blind Eye Gambling House, Capel Kerig, Cymru, Hindrun, Prime Material Plane

The Blind Eye is packed full – nearly to the walls. A large expanse of card tables, barstools, drunken dancers and other wealthy patrons sprawls out before you, though you have some trouble making headway through the crowd. Men and women (and a few you're not sure about) wearing plain grey robes are running the tables, standing guard by the doors, watching silently from the corners, and tending the bar, among other things – they seem to be what pass for clergy here. The second floor of the building overlooks the revelry below, and more clergymen can be seen there as well.

A thick cloud of smoke hangs in the air over the assortment of gamblers and partiers in the crowd. Those of you with keener senses pick out more different kinds of cigar and pipe-smoke than you can count, behind which lies the subtler, warmer smell of fresh seafood and ale. Torches hang by every table, but away from the gamblers, the bar’s lighting is dim – almost dark – and you find it hard to pick faces out among those sitting at the bar or by the stage.

The dull roar of the patrons’ chatter assaults your ears, atop which rides the music from the band. A one-handed lutenist with straight, blonde hair (you recognize him as the minstrel you saved at Wuscfrea’s feast) is strumming with a hook; he is accompanied by a dragon-headed pianist and a dwarven drummer who is driving the trio at a maddeningly quick tempo – but just slow enough that the dancers can keep up. They finish their song with a bombastic flourish, and the band steps aside to the bar to grab some food and drink.

--
    A quick scan around the room reveals a few additional points of interest:

In a booth near the front window, four people in black cloaks are quietly discussing something. A small collection of papers that look like maps is scattered haphazardly on their table around an oil lamp that is providing them light.

Spoiler: Listen DC 18
    Show

You don’t catch all of their conversation, but you do hear the words “jewels”, “palace”, and “solstice” in relatively quick succession.

--

A well-dressed nobleman and the woman accompanying him leave a nearby dice table with a small stack of gold, followed by the loud grumbling of the other patrons still playing – a well-armed man wearing a black military uniform, a drunk elven man wearing almost as much silk as he is ale, and a (presumably sober) skeleton in a tophat. The clergyman tending the table points to the two empty seats and waves you over with a smile.

Spoiler: Knowledge (nobility) or Knowledge (history) DC 15
    Show

The black uniform is one commonly worn by Samaran mercenaries – their ranking system differs greatly from Cymru’s, but this man is roughly equivalent to a sergeant.

--

You espy a set of double-doors in the back of the room that have Rasua’s holy symbol (an eye set in an open palm) painted on them. Two clergymen stand by the door, occasionally ushering some suspicious-looking people through. You catch brief glimpses of a soft red light on the other side when the doors are opened.
    Last edited by Amidus Drexel; 2016-04-01 at 05:53 AM.
    A few odds and ends.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Random Banter D&D 3.5e Campaign IC, Thread II

Tass waits for her companions.

Try not to cause any trouble for the next half an hour.

She then makes her way to the balcony to better overlook the room.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Spot check: (1d20+17)[28]
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Alphonse assures Tass he won't cause any trouble, then looks around the establishment, heading towards the bar. Once there, he'll ask the person behind the counter "Excuse me, I'm looking for someone who I believe is a regular here."

Spoiler: rolls and stuff!
    Show
    Listen: (1d20-1)[8]

Knowledge History: (1d20+4)[11]

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

The Second Floor

The balcony is less crowded, and though you get a few suspicious looks from the clergy, no one approaches you.

Spoiler: Tass
    Show

Now that you have a better view, some of the maps seem to roughly correspond to the interior and exterior of the palace, from your memory of it. There are a few others that definitely don't remind you of any area you've seen before, though - one looks like a vault, and another like a large guardhouse.

--
    The Bar

The bartender shrugs. "You got a name? We've got a bunch of regulars."
    Last edited by Amidus Drexel; 2016-04-02 at 05:02 PM.
    A few odds and ends.

5. - Top - End - #5

"Yes I do. A one Sir Morgan. I believe he's a Lieutenant of sorts, though I can't rightly recall of what." Alphonse answers.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

The Bar

The bartender shakes his head and chuckles. "Go talk to the priests by the back door, and tell 'em who sent you. And order any drinks you want now, 'cause I don't serve you after you've seen him."

--
    The Balcony

A fifth cloaked figure approaches the four at the table, and they all hastily pack up their maps, then quickly, but nonchalantly, make their way to the front door.

Show

You see that some of the clergy are paying extra attention to Alphonse.
    Last edited by Amidus Drexel; 2016-04-03 at 10:19 AM.
    A few odds and ends.

7. - Top - End - #7

"Thank you, good sir." Alphonse says. He'll give him a polite nod and leaves the bar. He's hesitant to head there straight away, at least without one of his allies, so instead he'll look around and mingle a bit.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Béla glances at the people at the gambling table for a few moments before walking over and sitting down. Just a round or two, though.
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

9. - Top - End - #9

Spying Bela, Alphonse will sit in the second spare seat at the dice table, if only to pass the time until the others are satisfied with their information gathering. "So, what kind of game is this, exactly?" he asks, spying the tophat wearing skeleton and hoping Tass doesn't notice it herself, remembering the last time she saw one.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Dice Table

The black-uniform'd soldier is the first to speak. His thick accent would make him hard to understand - if he didn't shout every word he said. "Perrhaps only one. Ourr elfin, ah, frriend, has drrunk overrmuch. The hourr also grrows late." The elf, for his part, giggles and hiccups, saying, "Oonnnne more, Nikolai! *hic* Aye, IIIII can do another!"

The skeleton - who is wearing a plaque that says "Bonesy" - is silent and still; his grinning skull doesn't so much as acknowledge you.

The clergyman, however, is friendly and inviting - even if he sounds a little sleazy. "Gentlemen, gentlemen! Sit, sit - let me order you some drinks!" He looks you over carefully. "Something... light? You two look terribly busy. Don't be shy, drinks are on the house!"

"The game is called Liar's Dice - perhaps you've heard of it? It's a favorite around here - fitting, perhaps?" The robed man chuckles, then passes you each a felt cup containing 5 ivory dice. "Everyone rolls, and we keep our hands covered, then we go around the table increasing the bid - by value or by number - on how many dice of a certain value are on the table. If you think the current bid is too high, then you can challenge it - everyone shows their dice, and we see! So, as an example, I might bid seven 5's, and Nikolai could call it - say there are only six 5's on the table. In that case, I'd lose, and he would take the pot, and one of my dice. If there were more than seven 5's, then I'd win the challenge, the money, and a die from him, and so on. Sound simple enough? Ante is 30 gold - come now, don't give me that face! I'm sure it's pocket change to you!"

"OYY *hic* lets get ooooon with it alreaddddy! Aaaand. And no cheating. Yeah." The drunk elf begins counting out coins from a a large satchel of gold and silver - nearly falling off his stool as he does so. The soldier (Nikolai?) pushes three small stacks of gold into the center of the table, and Bonesy follows with three shiny platinum coins.

Spoiler: Sense Motive DC 13
    Show

The soldier in black is clearly somewhat irritated with the elf, but he also keeps giving the clergyman tending your table suspicious glances.

Spoiler: Sense Motive DC 19
    Show

The drunken elf is not as drunk as he's acting - he seems to be quite in control of himself when he doesn't think anyone's looking at him, despite how clumsy he acts.

Spoiler: Sense Motive DC 24
    Show

The clergyman is terrified - though of who, you're not sure. His calm and collected facade is cracking, though, and he looks like he wants nothing more than to run away as fast as he can.

Spoiler: Spot DC 24 (DC 29 for Tass, due to distance)
    Show

You notice Bonesy twitch every time someone looks at their cups or make a bid.

Spoiler: Knowledge (Religion) DC 12
    Show

Bonesy appears to be a regular animated skeleton.

Spoiler: Anyone who speaks Orekhov
    Show

By his accent, you'd guess Nikolai is a native Orekhov speaker.

--

OOC: Can I get everyone in the party to make two will saves? (Strictly speaking, they're not simultaneous, but this way is just easier)
    A few odds and ends.

11. - Top - End - #11

"Interesting game. I'll wait and watch a round if you don't mind, get a good feel for how the game goes." Alphonse says.
    Spoiler: rolls
    Show

Will check 1: (1d20+2)[9]

Will check 2: (1d20+2)[9]
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2016-04-06 at 06:07 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Niro follows Alsphone to the table where the game is being played, and purposefully bumps into the soldier as he rolls the dice.

He gives no apology for doing so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Tass attempts to wait in a time when someone gets a bit noisy, seizing any such moment for casting a spell hopefully without suffering too much scrutiny from the omnipresent clergy.

Spoiler: Spellcasting
    Show
    Casting Detect Magic, first focusing on the gambling table, then the clergy who seem to pay attention to Alphonse, then the rest of the bar.

Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Dice Table

The soldier looks up at Niro and scowls, then turns back to the game. You hear him grumble, "Clumsy golems."

--
    The Balcony

Show

The entire bar reeks of magic - active and lingering auras of all sorts (but mostly weak divination or abjuration) litter the interior of the building, from the ceiling down to the floor.

--
    Going around the dice table:
    The drunk elf: a weak aura of transmutation, a weak aura of divination, a weak aura of evocation on something under his clothes
    The skeleton: a weak aura of transmutation, a weak aura of divination
    The soldier: a weak aura of evocation on his sword, and his bow; a weak aura of abjuration on his armor, and a weak aura of abjuration on one hand
    The clergyman: a weak aura of divination, three weak auras of abjuration

--
    The Clergy:
    Of the 11 other clergymen in the room, 3 register no magic whatsoever. The rest have three weak auras of abjuration, and some have weak or moderate auras of divination as well.
    The bartender has several additional weak auras of conjuration, transmutation, and abjuration, in addition to a moderate aura of conjuration and a moderate aura of necromancy

--
    The Patrons:
    Most of the patrons have a magic weapon or trinket of some kind - I'm only listing the ones who stand out in some way (those who light up like a christmas tree, or have especially strong auras on them, or inexplicably no aura, or whathaveyou):

A man in a white cloak is sitting at one of the tables on the second floor - you see him recoil and move his chair when you begin casting. Concentrating on him reveals no magic, however.

After about a minute, the bouncer comes in from outside - she has two moderate auras of abjuration, a moderate aura of necromancy, three weak auras of abjuration, a weak aura of conjuration, a weak aura of divination, and two weak auras of transmutation. Her armor registers weak illusion and weak abjuration magic, and her weapon moderate transmutation and weak evocation, and her pipe reads as moderate abjuration

One of the servers has two weak and one moderate auras of enchantment.

You detect a (mobile) set of auras coming from one of the walls, about 7ft up or so: a weak aura of illusion, a weak aura of abjuration and a weak transmutation
    Last edited by Amidus Drexel; 2016-04-06 at 09:07 PM.
    A few odds and ends.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"Golem"? Niro grabs the man by the back of his head and slams it into the table.

Show
    Hit (Slam): (1d20+10)[29]
    Damage: (1d4+3)[7]

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Rasua's Temple / The Blind Eye Gambling House

The Samaran's skull makes a loud THOK as it hits the table, and he grunts in pain.

Suddenly, one of the patrons across the bar jumps up and dashes to a nearby table, and begins shoving coins into a burlap sack!

Bonesy promptly grabs his ante and shoves his way past Alphonse and Bela, heading for the bar - or perhaps the balcony?

The torches on the east wall flicker ominously.

OOC: Niro, you're up!

Spoiler: Initiative Order
    Show

Initiative Order:
    BL2
    Bonesy
    SOMEONE
    Niro
    CT, C6
    BL1
    WC
    Drunk Elf
    C7
    Gus
    P2
    Emilie
    C3
    Tass
    P1
    Dumb Noble W
    Nikolai
    Alphonse
    C2
    Bela
    C1
    C4
    P3
    C5
    A specific waitress
    All worthless peons

WHOS UP
    Niro
    A few odds and ends.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Stay down, Samaran scum.

Niro grabs the man's head, picking it up and slamming it down into the table again. He does this twice.

Show
    Full Attack

Hit (Slam #1): (1d20+10)[21]
    Damage: (1d4+3)[6]

Hit (Slam #2): (1d20+5)[17]
    Damage: (1d4+3)[5]

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Béla slides down in his chair for a moment after Niro first attacks the man, but then quickly stands up and walks over to lean against the S-wall and watch.
    Show
    You're my favorite.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

A great number of things happen, almost all at once:

The clergyman at your table quickly casts a spell and moves away, back towards the south wall.
    Spoiler: Spellcraft DC 16
    Show
    Sanctuary

Another clergyman casts a spell - and the thief who was stealing gold from the table southeast of you freezes mid-theft! The first thief's partner dashes around and tries to stab the unsuspecting clergyman tending that table, but is deterred by armor underneath his robes.
    Spoiler: Spellcraft DC 17
    Show
    Hold Person

The man in the white cloak casts a spell, and suddenly there are five of him - he moves up to the edge of the balcony to get a better view, and mutters something under his breath.
    Show

You don't catch what he said, but his tone made it sound like a command or an order.
    Spoiler: Spellcraft DC 20
    Show
    He's communicating with message

Show
    Mirror Image

The drunk elf casts a spell on Nikolai (who seems partially revitalized), and stumbles back away from the table, fiddling with something under his shirt.
    Show
    Bear's Endurance

A clergyman standing against the east wall casts a spell and promptly disappears.
    Show
    Invisibility

The old priest in front of the southeast door begins casting a spell. One of the younger priests next to him moves forward and casts something, causing a light to flash between him and the clergyman being attacked by thieves.
    Spoiler: Spellcraft DC 21
    Show
    The older preist is casting Summon Monster 6
    Show
    The younger priest is casting Shield Other

The bouncer dashes towards Niro and shouts, "OY, HANDS OFFA THE MERCS, METAL MAN!" She brings the hammer around with tremendous force, and bright green sparks fly off when she strikes Niro, producing a resounding CLANG. You can feel your armor plating shift and your internal parts crunch - if you were human, the blow would've shattered your spine.
    Spoiler: Alphonse
    Show

You recognize the move the bouncer just pulled off. It's your own Jade Razor - though you're sure she has another name for it.

To add insult to injury, a clergyman casts something, and Niro suddenly feels a deep sense of dread.
    Show
    Doom

OOC: The bouncer's attack confirms a crit, but is defeated by Niro's fortification, so he only takes 32 damage. Niro is also shaken from the spell Clergyman#3 cast. Too many things have moved for me to list them here, but you can get a good idea of what's going on by checking the map. Tass, you're up!
    Last edited by Amidus Drexel; 2016-04-08 at 05:43 PM.
    A few odds and ends.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Tass first takes on a despondent posture before dropping back into her attentive, normal self. She shifts closer to the white man while keeping her eyes on the sudden brawl below, ready to intervene as soon as she figures out who to intervene against.

Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

The remaining younger priest by the southeast door also begins casting.
    Spoiler: Spellcraft DC 18
    Show
    Summon Monster 3

Suddenly, a bottle flies through the air, and an exceptionally well-dressed nobleman near the window screams, "BARFIGHT!" He dashes over behind the bouncer and tries to stab her with his sword - but misses spectacularly. He twirls his sword triumphantly anyway, and says, "Come on, fight me!"

With the bouncer's attention directed elsewhere, Nikolai carefully steps backwards, draws his sword and shield, and growls, "DINE ON FILTH, LIGURRIAN TYRRANT!" Three translucent darts of force appear in the air in front of him, and launch themselves at Niro at an impressive speed.
    Show
    Magic Missile - and it's been metamagic'd some

--
    The Balcony

The mage briefly glances in your direction, then looks back down to the chaos below. "IT DISTURBS ME HOW EASILY THE CIVILIZED ARE INCITED TO VIOLENCE."

Show

Now that you're next to the man, you espy his face from underneath his hood - and recognize it as the same one the Whitecloak skeletons guarding Elgin Pass had.

--
    OOC: The dumb enthusiastic noble moves to I5 and attacks the bouncer unsuccessfully. Nikolai 5fts back to K9 and casts at Niro, who takes 15 points of damage. Alphonse, you're up!
    Last edited by Amidus Drexel; 2016-04-08 at 10:08 PM.
    A few odds and ends.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Tass makes a slow nod.

With nature, you at least know why they fight. Either they're hungry, scared or trying to impress a partner. Here... I have no idea of what's going on.

Show

23. - Top - End - #23

"Miss Bouncer. If you require any assistance with handling these ruffians please instruct me! I just ask you ensure my friend lives. He knows not what he does, I believe he may be blinded by some sort of bloodrage or malfunction." Alphonse shouts. He'll then leap onto the table in front of him and stare down the haughty noble "Sir, I'd highly recommend that you stop fighting...or fight me."

He'll then hold his actual attack, waiting both for the bouncer respond and to, more specifically, the foolish nobleman to approach him. He does however strike a pose, as if he's preparing to jump.

Spoiler: Rolls and stuff!
    Show
    Knowledge (History) to find out specifically why Niro would hate Mr Black Armor: (1d20+4)[23]

Diplomacy with the bouncer just in case: (1d20+7)[17]

Jump Check: (1d20+15)[25]

Also, turning on Leaping Dragon Stance with the intent to basically leap from table to table if I have to.

Holding my attack until the noble gets into range, and then I'm gonna boot him one in the face.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

A nearby clergyman raises his arms, and a pink haze briefly covers the battlefield. You feel a sense of peace, and you can see Nikolai and the noble relaxing a
    Show
    Calm Emotions

The bouncer nods at Alphonse, still keeping her guard up. "Alright, dead man's friend, watch your back. NO SUDDEN MOVES, PEOPLE, OR I'LL DO TA YA LIKE I DID TO METAL MAN HERE! DROP YOUR WEAPONS!"

OOC: Alphonse, Bela, and Niro, can I get a will save from each of you? Bela, you're up!

Spoiler: Alphonse
    Show

RE: Niro & Nikolai

It's not immediately obvious, but you do recall some bits that seem relevant.

First - Nikolai is wearing a Samaran mercenary officer's uniform. (Samara is one of several regions that make up Trakai, an "empire" in the southeast corner of the continent. They have a strong military tradition, and often hire themselves out as mercenaries when work is slow - something that the Cymran government is having a problem with, as rebellious nobles and warlords recruit the well-trained Samarans to fight in their armies). Trakai is currently involved in a (long-running, but intermittent - initial conflicts were almost 50 years ago) war with Liguria.

Second - You recall Enigma's initial conversation with Niro - the metal man is of Ligurian make, from several hundred years ago.

--
    The Balcony

"THE WARFORGED STARTED A FIGHT WITH THE SAMARAN MERCENARIES, WHY, HOWEVER, I COULD NOT SAY."
    Last edited by Amidus Drexel; 2016-04-11 at 07:24 PM.
    A few odds and ends.

25. - Top - End - #25

"Thank you, Miss Bouncer. Perhaps when things have calmed down and I've finished my business we can trade notes. I recognize your fighting style." Alphonse says.

Spoiler: Will I save?
    Show
    Will Save: (1d20+2)[7]

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Niro, not carrying any weapons, puts his hands up to show he has no malice left in him.

Show
    Will: (1d20+4)[17]

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Bela closes his eyes for a moment, slides back in his chair, and casts Fly, remaining seated for the moment.
    Show
    You're my favorite.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Two of the clergymen and the third priest all begin casting the same spell, and several calming auras fall over the battlefield. The bandits don't seem affected by them (though the priest between them does manage to escape safely, and dashes over to the east wall), but the crowd of patrons stops panicking and moves to the sides.
    Show
    calm emotions - by C1, C5, and P3

A waitress - the only one remaining in the center of the temple floor moves over to the bandits, and raises her hands as if preparing to cast a spell. Something seems off to you, however; her movements are sudden and awkward, and you can't help but compare them to a marionette's.
    Spoiler: Sense Motive DC 15
    Show
    This waitress is pretty clearly under some form of powerful enchantment.

Bonesy, for his part, books it over to the door.

OOC: Nothing terribly exciting right now, and it looks like the fight might be breaking up soon. Niro, you're up!
    A few odds and ends.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Guarire.

Niro steps back, away from the conflict, to M7, hands still up in the air.

Show
    Healing Belt: (2d8)[13]

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

The clergy move to surround the bandits (albeit at a distance), and as the older priest finishes casting, a massive humanoid form composed of rock and earth pops into the space behind the two bandits. The elderly priest speaks up, his voice carrying across the gambling house, "That is enough. Drop your swords and your gold, and you can leave."

The bandits hastily do so, and some of the clergy move to retrieve the gold and their weapons. The bouncer grabs Niro and Nikolai each by the arm, and drags them out to the entrance, expelling them from the building with a hard shove. Niro stumbles for a few steps and recovers his footing; Nikolai slides a few feet on his face. "And keep it outside, too. None of us gives a rat's ass if ya fight out here - ya can take that up with the city guard."

When this is done, the priests dismiss their summons, the remainder of the clergy dismiss their calming spells on you and the crowd, and nearly everyone slowly moves back to what they were doing earlier - except for Bonesy, who climbs the stairs to the balcony and stands by one of the tables.

OOC: I'm going to go ahead and declare combat over here.

--
    The Dice Table

After things seem to be running smoothly again, the elderly priest approaches Alphonse and Bela at the dice table. "Ah, It has been a good while since Silver-Tongue last brought adventurers to my door. Is there something I can help you fine gentlemen with?"

--
    The Balcony

The mage sighs in relief and bows his head, then returns to his seat, next to the finely-dressed skeleton. He dismisses the illusory copies of himself, then begins to whisper to Bonesy, who hands him a small bag of coin, then sits down beside him.
    Show

The mage's whispers once again remind you of commands, but you can hear him a little more clearly now. Bonesy obeys his commands unquestioningly. At the final command, the skeleton's head snaps up straight and begins making slow sweeps of the balcony, back and forth.

"HAND ME THE BAG OF COINS."

"SIT."

"WATCH FOR DANGER."

--
    The Street Outside

Nikolai peels himself off the ground and spits out a tooth. "How did that plan- *cough* -worrk out forr you, tyrrant?" He staggers to his feet. "Betterr than Navarrrre- *cough* -perrhaps, but that says little, does it not?"

The bouncer pulls out her pipe again and goes back to blowing rings of smoke.
    A few odds and ends.