New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Has ANY high-profile movie had a gay protagonist?

Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
    But I'm a Cheerleader.

But then again te protaganist being gay is the whole theme of the movie. Its much harder to find a movie where the protaganist just hppens to be in a same sex (or interrcial for that matter) relationship without it being the focus of the whole movie.
    But I'm a Cheerleader is underrated and fun. Plus it has Dante Basco in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rules are for Jerks: A Chaotic Good Alignment Handbook View Post
    A fair number of people don’t quite grok Chaotic Good, since the idea of thinking for yourself while being a good person is apparently confusing.
    Quote Originally Posted by linklele
    Look, a strange boy just popped into my room asking for your soul...
    Avatar by linklele, featuring a strange boy. Full signature is here.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Tropic Thunder comes to mind, and apparently hasn't been mentioned.
    Oo, good one.

3. - Top - End - #183

According to Johnny Depp at least, Jack Sparrow's bi-

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Murk View Post
    Not sure if being sexually attracted to a town counts as homosexual.

OK I'll leave now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    It's clearly homeosexual.
    Because of the houses.

I'm not leaving.
    I love this place.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Troll in the Playground

Oh how could I forget 'Carol'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carol_(film)
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Storm_Of_Snow View Post
    According to Johnny Depp at least, Jack Sparrow's bi-
    I get the feeling Jack Sparrow would try to get it on with anything. Sea turtles, for example.
    I used to live in a world of terrible beauty, and then the beauty left.
    Dioxazine purple.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Runaways should count, I think.
    "...Look, it's a simple job. Just go down to the docks, book passage on the good ship Harm's Way, set sail for the Isles of Immaculate Doom, pick up the Orb of Despair which is already waiting for you, and bring it back to deliver to that crazy old coot who lives in that creepy old tower in the Swamp of a Thousand Screams. What could possibly go wrong?"

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ettin in the Playground

"High Profile" almost by definition mean large budget, but the people in charge of the movie studios are majorly afraid of taking risks; Hell, they're scared of making a female lead in non-romance movies, and female characters are common. How much more afraid would they be to have a gay/lesbian as the protagonist? They're afraid that if they do too much, it'll offend/be too much of a focus, and if they do too little, no one will notice/disregard it.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

9. - Top - End - #189

Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    "High Profile" almost by definition mean large budget, but the people in charge of the movie studios are majorly afraid of taking risks; Hell, they're scared of making a female lead in non-romance movies, and female characters are common. How much more afraid would they be to have a gay/lesbian as the protagonist? They're afraid that if they do too much, it'll offend/be too much of a focus, and if they do too little, no one will notice/disregard it.
    In addition to The Celluloid Closet, there's the documentary This Film is Not Yet Rated, which among other things, highlights the double standard that exists within the MPAA in regards to sexual content, both in regards to sexual orientation and gender.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rules are for Jerks: A Chaotic Good Alignment Handbook View Post
    A fair number of people don’t quite grok Chaotic Good, since the idea of thinking for yourself while being a good person is apparently confusing.

10. - Top - End - #190

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    highlights the double standard that exists within the MPAA in regards to sexual content, both in regards to sexual orientation and gender.
    You mean something like this:

Man and woman hold hands: rated PG
    Man and man hold hands: rated R

11. - Top - End - #191

Quote Originally Posted by Ruslan View Post

Soooorta. You'd have to watch it, but essentially it's treating one as more taboo than the other just for BEING what it is regardless of other factors.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ettin in the Playground

Didnt "Rent" have a few protagonists that wernt the usual sort?

13. - Top - End - #193
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    In addition to The Celluloid Closet, there's the documentary This Film is Not Yet Rated, which among other things, highlights the double standard that exists within the MPAA in regards to sexual content, both in regards to sexual orientation and gender.
    I actually saw This Film is Not Yet Rated at a movie theater around when it first came out (it was one of those artsy theaters that shows unusual films)

The MPAA is all around awful. Not just because of the corruption in the ratings system, but also because of their corrupt influence on copyright policy, and general greed.

14. - Top - End - #194

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    I actually saw This Film is Not Yet Rated at a movie theater around when it first came out (it was one of those artsy theaters that shows unusual films)

The MPAA is all around awful. Not just because of the corruption in the ratings system, but also because of their corrupt influence on copyright policy, and general greed.
    They're so bad that the censorship is used to punish outsider films while giving insider films a pass, which highlights that they don't even really care about enforcing their so-called standards. That's censorship and a half levels of ****ed up.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Dwarf in the Playground

One of the protagonists in the Pitch Perfect movies was gay.

And I hate saying that because it implies that I watched such a crappy movie.

16. - Top - End - #196

Quote Originally Posted by Themrys View Post
    While that might be true in theory, a movie where an android character does NOT have a gender, would be much more progressive, as disregard for biological sex (or lack thereof) is very common, and gendering androids is a way of establishing gender as a natural part of a sentient person, even though it very much isn't.
    I tried to say something similar about gender on Bay12 Games' forum and somehow it got construed as bigoted (I may have said that all gender was "artificial bull****"). And that's why I now consider Toady1 a jackass.
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2016-04-10 at 01:23 PM.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ruslan View Post

As a baseline, before bringing in how the MPAA will rate things differently depending on who made it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
    So The Runaways doesn't count after all? How about Love and Human Remains? A lot of the people I was hanging out with in varsity liked it although in retrospect I'm a little uncertain why.

And there's far, FAR more than two anime films that would qualify.
    As long as we're on that topic, there's the matter of Tokyo Godfathers. It has three protagonists, and one of them is probably gay (there's two ways to read the character, and the other one has them being a trans woman who would then be straight). It's a significant character trait, but the movie is absolutely not about that. The movie is about three homeless people who find a baby in a dumpster and try to return said baby to their parents, complicated by the fact that they don't know who said parents are and the three of them aren't exactly flush with resources (see: homeless).

I wouldn't call it high profile per se, but within anime specifically it has some big names behind it.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Themrys View Post
    While that might be true in theory, a movie where an android character does NOT have a gender, would be much more progressive, as disregard for biological sex (or lack thereof) is very common, and gendering androids is a way of establishing gender as a natural part of a sentient person, even though it very much isn't..
    Gender wouldn't be natural part of any artificial sentient person, such an android, but I'd have a hard time byuing that argument for vast majority of natural persons (namely, humans). Contemporary research on transsexuality suggests gender identity is encoded in the brain and is influenced by both genetics and hormones when growing up. Just because various cultures tack arbitrary extra baggage to it doesn't mean gender is a wholly unnatural construct.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

19. - Top - End - #199

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Gender wouldn't be natural part of any artificial sentient person, such an android, but I'd have a hard time byuing that argument for vast majority of natural persons (namely, humans). Contemporary research on transsexuality suggests gender identity is encoded in the brain and is influenced by both genetics and hormones when growing up. Just because various cultures tack arbitrary extra baggage to it doesn't mean gender is a wholly unnatural construct.
    Perhaps, but you don't consider a person's appendix or tonsils an important part of their character.

EDIT:
    It has a vestigial biological side, but I still think the greater part of it is cultural BS. And both sides are without worth. The cultural side is mostly outmoded relics, and it's biological usefulness has been eroded. The only marginally useful purpose it has ever had on either side is to telegraph physical sex; since this has become an outmoded paradigm it has now therefore passed into the realm of complete uselessness and vestigiality (regardless, and this is important, of whether you're trans or not).
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2016-04-10 at 04:12 PM.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    Perhaps, but you don't consider a person's appendix or tonsils an important part of their character
    ...Because those don't affect how they think?? Brains are considered important in many movies.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

21. - Top - End - #201

Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Protagonest View Post
    ...Because those don't affect how they think?? Brains are considered important in many movies.
    The point is that they're vestigial traits, as is gender
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2016-04-10 at 04:16 PM.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't think your stance is well-supported by actual evidence, Bohandas. See, for example, cases of intersex people who had their sex arbitrarily assigned in infancy. They had the misfortune of being test subjects for "gender is just a cultural construct", and it ended up in tragedy: even if you surgically assign a person as female and rear them up according to feminine tropes of a culture, their brain can keep telling them they're male, leading into gender dysphoria, depression and all other symptoms of transsexuality.

Having your gender identity be in sync with the rest of your body is clearly important to a person's mental health. More to the point, unlike with appendix or tonsils, there's no known way to remove it or even alter it without severe harm to a person. How on Earth do you reconcile that with considering it "vestigial and outmoded"?
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

23. - Top - End - #203
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Great Modthulhu: If you guys want to continue this topic, I suggest a new thread in Friendly Banter or MS&GT. It's thoroughly off-topic for this thread, however worth discussing it might be.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2016-04-10 at 04:56 PM.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I'd like to add to the list:
    Capote
    The Talented Mr Ripley
    Boys Don't Cry
    My Own Private Idaho
    Kiss of the Spider Woman
    Rope
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Siosilvar View Post
    Because representation matters.

If there are no gay protagonists, that tells gay folks that they don't get to be the hero or the center of the story. If the black character is always the sidekick in the action movie or the first to die in a horror movie, that tells black people that they don't get to see their stories all the way through. When trans people exist only to be made into a joke, vomited at, or stereotyped - that tells an adult that they'll only ever be seen as a joke, and it tells a little kid that nobody is like them.

Destroy the idea that a middle-class straight white cisgender male is the default. That person isn't even statistically average. It's time for everybody to get their stories told.
    It's not the job of movies to be sending messages about people's value. It's the job of movies to entertain.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Liquor Box View Post
    It's not the job of movies to be sending messages about people's value. It's the job of movies to entertain.
    People have an appetite for movies that send messages about people's values as well as for movies that entertain. People have an urge to make movies that send messages about people's values as well as movies that entertain. Movies do many things beyond entertainment, and you have neither authority nor justification to exclude those things from "the job of movies".

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Orange is the New Black, Dallas Buyer's Club, Hangover (does Chow count as a protagonist in the sequels?), The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (a homosexual in theory, although not in practice anymore), Brokeback Mountain, James bond -Goldfinger (if ***** Galore counts as a protagonist).

Edit - The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and its sequels

In some of those the protagonist is bi-sexual rather than exclusively homo-sexual. I'm not sure if that meets the request of the original poster.
    Last edited by Liquor Box; 2016-04-28 at 07:45 PM.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    People have an appetite for movies that send messages about people's values as well as for movies that entertain. People have an urge to make movies that send messages about people's values as well as movies that entertain. Movies do many things beyond entertainment, and you have neither authority nor justification to exclude those things from "the job of movies".
    I have as much authority to assert how I see the role of movies as you do. To be clear I am not being critical of movies that do have gay characters. I am only saying it is not fair to criticise movies (or the industry as a whole) if there is a lack of gay characters.

If people had an appetite for movies demonstrating certain values (say prominently featuring homosexuals) then the market would ensure such movies would be made - they would be profitable because people would watch them. That does happen to an extent, so you are right the appetite and urge is there, although I suspect not to the extent you would like.
    Last edited by Liquor Box; 2016-04-28 at 07:42 PM.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Liquor Box View Post
    Regardless of intent, movies, and the media in general, send messages. Even if your not intending your movie to tell a message you should be aware of what messages it IS sending.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2016-04-28 at 07:43 PM.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Regardless of intent, movies, and the media in general, send messages. Even if your not intending your movie to tell a message you should be aware of what messages it IS sending.
    But what message a movie is sending is highly open to interpretation.

I do agree a movie that clearly sends an anti-social message is ok. For example, a movie where the protagonists are committing hate crimes against homosexuals, and this is portrayed in a positive light, that is sort of movie that I prefer not be made.

But I don't think that because a movie has non-homosexual protagonists that sends the message that homosexuals should be marginalised or are incapable of doing the things the protagonists do (save the world or whatever).

I certainly don't think a movie (or the movie industry) should be criticised for not pro-actively sending a positive message about everything under the sun. In my view, it's simply not the role of movies.