New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Songs that make you feel jubilant/happy

So we had sad songs and then we had inspirational songs. Let's not let a good thing die, eh? How about we now turn the crosshairs on that under-appreciated emotion in pop music; happiness! Yes, there's a cultural belief that songs that are in a good mood somehow have less artistic merit than something that wallows in misery and torment. Poppycock, I say! I have the examples.

Aguas de Março
    Holiday
    I Say a Little Prayer
    Don't Get Me Wrong

"Flash is fast, Flash is cool. Francois c'est pas, flashe non due."

Seventh Doctor avatar by the too-nice-for-his-own-good Professor Gnoll!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Songs that make you feel jubilant/happy

Jenny
    Wolves
    Perpċlsa
    Ormin lange Especially after the 2:36 mark
    Brave as a Noun
    Cyclic Cowboy

Those come to mind quickly enough I guess.

3. - Top - End - #3

Happy by Pharell

4. - Top - End - #4

Not sure about good-mood songs having less artistic merit (or the perception of that)...after all, that's been a staple of music since the beginning of time! My personal tastes run to joy-through-catharsis, but I think I could come up with a few.

Shiny Shiny - Haysi Fantayzee (okay, so technically this is a post-apocalyptic song, but such manic glee!!!)

Proclaim - Boneheadm (long since gone Pittsburgh pop-punk-happy-elf-music band. I STILL LOVE THEM! I would recommend listening to their whole album from 96-ish I think. They did put out one more under the name Kelly Superkool, but that one doesn't seem to be around. Hardly anyone but me really cares anyway)

Heart - Camper Van Beethoven (I used to listen to this in the morning if I wanted to have a chipper day. Again, lyrically a bit more sombre, but the song hits me just right).

Pressure Drop - The Specials (originally Toots and the Maytals, the Specials just OWN this tune! Man, I could probably just save time and make a classic 2-tone ska playlist here)

Unified Field - The Church (usually they'd belong on one of the other lists, but the intro riff from this just builds a wonderful anticipation in me, like the climb of a roller coaster. The Church in the 2000s are criminally underrated)

In Your Eyes - Peter Gabriel (speaking of, this chorus never QUITE climaxes, which keeps it building in a way that keeps me smiling)

Friday I'm In Love (Strangelove mix) - The Cure (because I'm a cliche and keep coming back to the Cure, but the isolated guitar parts in the first 40 seconds are wonderful and beautiful and make it so much more rewarding when they come together)

We Close Our Eyes - Oingo Boingo (more melancholy, but fills me with so much joy. Boingo were the best.)

5. - Top - End - #5

Great idea for a thread, I've been thinking of starting something similar for a while.

I listened to some of the suggestions above, so far I especially find Don't Get me Wrong and Jenny really catchy.

Here's some I discovered on this very forum, which have become some of my favourite upliftning songs:

Cold War Kids - Royal Blue

Anathema - Lightning Song

And some others:

Ayreon - Day 7: Hope

The Decemberists - Sons and Daughters

Marillion - Childhood's End?

Sigur Ros - Olsen Olsen (especially the flute that repeats the theme at the end, for some reason that really, really cheers me up).

Frank Turner - Get Better

The Flower Kings - Vox Humana

Grimes - California

Katzenjammer - Cherry Pie (can it get more happy than a song that's also a recipe for cherry pie?).

The Magnetic Fields - The Luckiest Guy On The Lower East Side

Phillippe Vachey - LBA 2 Theme (and really most of the music from that game)

Strawbs - Benedictus

6. - Top - End - #6

My go to. If I'm not happy beforehand, I am by the time he's finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter_Wolf View Post
    At least we can say Kid Jake has style. And possibly is insane.
    My Campaign Journals

7. - Top - End - #7

Great taste right here!
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I like my women like I like my coffee; 10 feet tall, incomprehensible to the human psyche, and capable of ending life as a triviality.

8. - Top - End - #8

Thank you!

I assume you are also a fan of Marillion

Misplaced Childhood is one of my all time favourite albums and that song in particular genuinely helped me get through some of the bad times of my life. Especially the last verse is really uplifting, I think.
    Last edited by Corlindale; 2016-05-04 at 06:18 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I could go through the entire Anamanaguchi catalog, but I'm just going to summarize by pointing to this acoustic version of "Airbrushed" performed on a sidewalk. Its not something you think of at all when you think of a chiptune band, but there's something incredibly inviting about acoustic guitars accompanying their NES-turned-syntheziser for anyone who walks by. They weren't unknown by this point, either. I don't know the date of this performance, but by the time this was uploaded Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: The Game was out, for which they did the soundtrack.
    Last edited by KillingAScarab; 2016-05-04 at 09:13 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I actually have a whole "Happy" playlist on my iPod. Love this topic and going to check out everybody's recommendations. Here's a bit of what I've got.
    Alanis Morissette - Head Over Feet for an aww so sweet kinda happy.
    Bad Ronald - Let's Begin for an aww yeah, let's kick it kinda happy.
    Bob Marley - One Love for an aww, man that's great sentiment kinda happy.
    Chumbawamba - Tubthumping for an aww yeah, we keep it going kinda happy.
    Dashboard Confessional - Hands Down for an aww yeah, there's A GIRL kinda happy.
    Finch - Stay With Me for more of the above, but from my high school times!
    Isley Brothers - Shout for that aww, yes a freaking classic for singing and dancing kinda happy.
    Less Than Jake - We're All Dudes (ft Kel Mitchell for aww yeah, punk ska plus Good Burger kinda happy.
    Lupe Fiasco - Superstar for an aww yeah, I am totally rocking everything right now kinda happy.
    And a bunch more punk, rap, classic rock, and alternative stuff that struck those kinda cords with me.
    Last edited by GAZ; 2016-05-04 at 11:48 PM.
    Light a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Song 1
    Song 2
    and the 'don't ask' Song 3

Don't know why but these 2 in particular no matter my mood, can put me in a good mood.

Also obligatory song
    Chrono Crusade avi by Ceika.

Remember: Cough, Rough, Through, Though don't rhyme, but for some forsaken reason Pony and Bolonga do...
    They say history repeats itself, so does our constant use of emojis mean we're reverting back to Egyptian hieroglyphs?
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Steam Profile

12. - Top - End - #12

Devil

Pretty much anything by The Aquabats.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Antonok View Post
    Song 1
    Song 2
    and the 'don't ask' Song 3

Don't know why but these 2 in particular no matter my mood, can put me in a good mood.
    I had assumed "Song 2" would have been by Blur, which seemed a very odd choice for this topic. "Song 3," however, reminded me of something which might not be.