New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

Default Re: Show of hands: Who here was asking for 4 sequels to James Cameron's "Avatar"?

I always imagined that the whole planet was really a ship. the 'Gaia force' was the computer and them jacking in and activating defenses...
    Current characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Trish- 3rd/5th battlemaster fighter/infernal sword warlock (5e D&D)
    Vesper-6th Gen Tremer (OwoD)
    Emerald Star- PL13 GL of Earth (Mutants and Masterminds DCU)

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Show of hands: Who here was asking for 4 sequels to James Cameron's "Avatar"?

Quote Originally Posted by ryuplaneswalker View Post
    I would ask for it if only for

Avatar 2 : "Word gets back to the Imperium of Mankind"

Avatar 3 : "Na'vii Make good Tyranid food"

Avatar 4 : "Lets get us some blue cat girl slaves to sacrifice to Slannnesh so he doesn't eat our souls

Avatar 5 : "WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGHHHHHHHH!" (BLUE ONES SQUISH GOOD!)
    I have to admit, I almost called it "Dancing with Spacewolves", and then realized the obvious and only logical place that could go.
    My Homebrew
    A Return to Exile, a homebrew campaign setting.
    Under Construction: Skills revamp for the Campaign Setting. I need to make a new index thread.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Norren View Post
    I have to admit, I almost called it "Dancing with Spacewolves", and then realized the obvious and only logical place that could go.
    There is a joke in here somewhere about Lensman Russ, the Spacewolf Gene Seed..and him being a Furry.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post

*spittakes coffee*
    That was exactly the reaction that I was hoping for!

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm interested. If nothing else, it will be gorgeous. And that's really all I cared about with the first - it was visually arresting in a way I'd never experienced in a movie before.

Quote Originally Posted by Norren View Post
    A Na'vi Werespacewolf in London.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

I'm expecting it to be mediocre at best, but that just makes it one more movie to ignore. It's not advancing some obnoxious agenda, it's probably going to push some of the technical stuff which will then allow other movies to benefit later, and if it ends up successful (which I expect it will) it will also signal to the industry that science fiction and space opera are viable again - although I suspect that we're already seeing a trend towards it, between the reboots of Star Wars, the reboots of Star Trek, and The Martian.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Sounds a bit like Terminator 2. Well, that should be easy for him to make!
    It's all but custom written for Cameron, cyborgs, mechanical fetishism (even in Titanic we get long pans of steamer engines to satisfy that), kickass female lead, and he's owned the film rights to it since what, '99?

* Or George Miller. There's a lot of Mad Max influence in the manga, with bits of Sin City thrown in for good measure. (There's a side story where Yukito Kishiro basically wholesale reproduces Frank Miller's stark black and white style from Sin City).

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    On topic, the only thing I'd really like to see set in the same setting as Avatar is a speculative/fiction documentary like 'the Future is Wild', 'Walking with Monsters' or 'Walking with Dinosaurs'. I'd like to see an exploration of the behavior and food chain of the wildlife of Pandora rather than bother poking around the rather dull cat people again, the ecosystem has a much greater potential for interesting stories than they do.
    They'd have to make 'em move right first...

I'd be far more interested in seeing that (like, I'd be interested in seeing it, like, at all), though.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Orc in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

I feel like James Cameron has missed any chance of capitalizing on the success of the first film... it'll be almost 10 years between Avatar and Avatar 2. Despite the film's great visuals, it lacked depth, and it really hasn't left that large of a mark on pop culture for how much money it made.
    Currently worldbuilding Port Demesne: A Safe Harbor in a Shattered World! If you have a moment, I would love your feedback!

10. - Top - End - #70

Quote Originally Posted by ryuplaneswalker View Post
    There is a joke in here somewhere about Lensman Russ, the Spacewolf Gene Seed..and him being a Furry.
    Nah, only Men can wield Arisia's Lens. *ducks*
    My Homebrew
    Under Construction: Skills revamp for the Campaign Setting. I need to make a new index thread.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

What's the overlap between W40K and Avatar again? I know there's some basis for the "suffer not the alien to live" jokes.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2016-04-16 at 01:27 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72

Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    What's the overlap between W40K and Avatar again? I know there's some basis for the "suffer not the alien to live" jokes.
    The human forces are PMCs, but they appear to largely be former US Marine Corps guys... in space. This opens the door for Space Marines jokes hence the slippery slope into 40k humor.
    My Homebrew

13. - Top - End - #73
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

That's...pretty much it, really. Humans traveling to an alien planet to kill them and take their stuff.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    That's...pretty much it, really. Humans traveling to an alien planet to kill them and take their stuff.
    That sounds like every space-based RPG campaign ever.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    That sounds like every space-based RPG campaign ever.
    No! Sometimes...the aliens come to us?

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

This thread was about one-quarter bashing Avatar, one-quarter rational points against Avatar sequels, and one-half cheesy-yet-funny comments. I can't think of any of the last and don't want to join in the first*, so I'll do the one in the middle.

Loosely speaking, there are four kinds of movie plots:
    1. The plots which are left unfinished, to be resolved in sequels. E.g: Star Wars V.
    2. The plots which have some plot threads dangling—enough to make a sequel and have it feel like it's directly connected—but which resolves of them to feel like it came to a conclusion, letting the movie stand on its own. E.g: Star Wars IV.
    3. The plots which more or less wrap themselves up at the end. E.g: Star Wars VI.
    3b. Plots like 3 but with a sequel hook tacked on just in case the film succeeds.
    4. The plots which wrap themselves up at the end, but the resolution itself generates the seed of sequels. I can't think of any movies like that, but Worm qualifies.

Avatar is definitely Type 3, as are many great films*. (It's hard to make a solid narrative while leaving major conflicts hanging.) This is the source of many poor sequels. Ice Age, for instance, was a solid movie, where the three protagonists (well, Manny and Diego at least) went through significant character development and changed over the course of the film; at the end, they had learned from and grown through their experiences. It wasn't perfect, but it was pretty good...but there wasn't anything to build a sequel on. After all, a lot of what made Ice Age such an enjoyable movie is that growth and change...but it's hard to replicate that sort of feeling with the same characters. The Ice Age sequels were worse in my opinion, and objectively different, because they couldn't feature that same sort of change.
    The same is true of non-character-driven plots. The Maximum Ride books are an example. The initial trilogy is structured much the same as the original Star Wars trilogy—one book which stands on its own, one book which takes threads left unanswered from the first to build a plot, and one to conclude that plot. Then another book tried to prolong that conflict by introducing remnants of the Big Bad's organization, then another introduced a new Big-Bad-of-the-Book, then another introduced a Marty Stu love interest, then another book or two came out. The books weren't really tied together the way the first trilogy was, and the more disjointed plot didn't hold up so well. (In my opinion.)
    Avatar didn't have as much character growth or whatnot, but it definitely had conflict. Like the initial Maximum Ride trilogy, Avatar's plot was wrapped up pretty well in the one movie, and like Maximum Ride, I can see them prolonging that conflict to an extent. Also like Maximum Ride, I expect a degradation in quality over several sequels, but unlike Maximum Ride, there wasn't a lot of quality in plot or characters to begin with.

*Which isn't to say I like Avatar. It's a shallow blockbuster with unusually consistent alien wildlife, that's about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

It is in space, and has Humans killing Xenos, you needed more?

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    Avatar is definitely Type 3, as are many great films*. (It's hard to make a solid narrative while leaving major conflicts hanging.) This is the source of many poor sequels.
    This is all excellent, but in fairness to Cameron, he has made sequels to films that didn't require any before and succeeded triumphantly. It's a bad practice, but there is the rare exception. Terminator 2 thematically contradicts Terminator 1 pretty resolutely and completely changes the way it's internal mechanics work, enough that fans going forward have a popular sport of attempting unifying theories for the franchise. But it's also one of the most popular action films of all time. Examining and deconstructing the pantheistic utopia of Pandora might give you a decent sci-fi yarn if framed obliquely enough. Avatar isn't supposed to be subtle so...what happens when the biological supercomputer controlling your world starts to go crazy?

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sam113097 View Post
    I feel like James Cameron has missed any chance of capitalizing on the success of the first film... it'll be almost 10 years between Avatar and Avatar 2. Despite the film's great visuals, it lacked depth, and it really hasn't left that large of a mark on pop culture for how much money it made.
    That's a good thing IMO. Any sequel will have to stand on it's own merits instead. As for Avatar, it was an alright movie. Not spectacular or favorite movie of all time, but I wouldn't turn it away if someone hadn't seen it for the first time. Though maybe my tolerance for it is because I've never seen Dances with Wolves. Though for all the complaints about the humans being idiots, I'm afraid that it isn't anything I haven't seen before (People really are that stupid).

Anyways, a sequel to Avatar? Sure, I'll give it a shot. Cameron has enough goodwill (he generally does a decent to good job), that I'll watch a sequel to a mediocre film. 4 sequels? Well that's kinda a WTF moment, but now I'm genuinely curious to see what he's planning to justify so many films.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Number of times I've seen Avatar:1, number of times I want to re-watch it:0, amount of interest in the sequels: none. We really didn't need another Fern Gully/Pocahontas film (both of which I feel covered the same material better), let alone 4 more sequels of a cheap knockoff. Maybe I'm just picky, but shiny movies for the sake of shininess has never interested me. Main reason why SW:AotC is the single least watched SW movie by me, all flash and no substance a poor movie makes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    I'm just had rather sad thought, that Avatar 5 could actually be a reboot.

I thought it jokingly, but...
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

22. - Top - End - #82
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    On the plus side, Jai Courtney would make a better Jake Sully than Kyle Reese.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    Number of times I've seen Avatar:1, number of times I want to re-watch it:0, amount of interest in the sequels: none. We really didn't need another Fern Gully/Pocahontas film (both of which I feel covered the same material better), let alone 4 more sequels of a cheap knockoff. Maybe I'm just picky, but shiny movies for the sake of shininess has never interested me. Main reason why SW:AotC is the single least watched SW movie by me, all flash and no substance a poor movie makes.
    You had to go to the Star Wars movie no one noticed existed to pick a bad movie? Picking on Attack of the Clones is like picking on a toddler in crutches, pick on a REAL movie that's all flash and no substance, and for extra measure you have a sequel to toss around:

I propose the most deserving movie of the "all flash no substance" label ever: INDEPENDENCE DAY!
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

24. - Top - End - #84

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    I propose the most deserving movie of the "all flash no substance" label ever: INDEPENDENCE DAY!
    It's stinkin' it up with the worst of 'em, but you have to hand to it the sheer title and associated titular concept, which was as good a concept as that of Battlestar Galactica.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Hey. ID is not a GOOD movie, but it can be a damn FUN movie, which things like AotC can't even live up to.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

I appear to have wandered into the wrong crowd...

Quote Originally Posted by Waddacku View Post
    We could have been getting Battle Angel, but then Avatar happened.
    That does sadden me a little. Apparently, Cameron feels it's more important to focus on the Avatar series because of the environmental subtext, whereas Alita is 'just' a 'kickass story'*.

I actually really enjoyed Avatar, partly on the basis of sheer craftsmanship, and partly because of sympathy for the agenda, but I honestly had no complaints about the narrative**. As I understand it, the initial sequel is supposed to involve deep-sea ecology of some kind, and Quaritch/Augustine are slated to make an appearance.

I think there's definitely room for a sequel, and it'd be interesting to see how the looming threat of terrestrial retaliation is handled. (Going by Terminator 2, Cameron does seem capable of moral nuance, so some delving into Na'vi politics might still happen.)

* I'd disagree, btw- Battle Angel has a good deal of commentary on the setting's divide between rich and poor as exacerbated by transhuman science, which is hardly the least relevant of modern-day political topics. But that's another discussion.

** There's nothing original about it, of course, but given that audiences flocked in droves to see Force Awakens, I don't know where this complaint is coming from.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey. ID is not a GOOD movie, but it can be a damn FUN movie, which things like AotC can't even live up to.
    If we're making this a contest, I'd enter Green Lantern as duller and shallower than either.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    ** There's nothing original about it, of course, but given that audiences flocked in droves to see Force Awakens, I don't know where this complaint is coming from.
    Head over to the TFA thread for analogous complaints. Agree or disagree with the complaint, it's consistent between those movies.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

I for one quite like Attack of the Clones. It fulfills what is to my mind the greatest mandate of any Star Wars movie; have some cool looking weird stuff and some explosions. Plus it's chockablock full of a really 1950s pulp vibe that I totally dig. Clones vs droids! An arena execution! Insectoid aliens! Bounty Hunters! I'm a simple man, these things make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post

I appear to have wandered into the wrong crowd...

That does sadden me a little. Apparently, Cameron feels it's more important to focus on the Avatar series because of the environmental subtext, whereas Alita is 'just' a 'kickass story'*.

I actually really enjoyed Avatar, partly on the basis of sheer craftsmanship, and partly because of sympathy for the agenda, but I honestly had no complaints about the narrative**. As I understand it, the initial sequel is supposed to involve deep-sea ecology of some kind, and Quaritch/Augustine are slated to make an appearance.
    Wait, you mean I'm not the only person who will actually stand up for liking Avatar in public? Well met, good poster!
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

I actually did kinda hate TFA, partly on the basis of how utterly colour-by-numbers it felt. I don't know if that's just internal bias, but with the possible exception of Empire SW was never my thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    Oh, while we're on this topic- Lindsay Ellis already did a thorough dissection: Basically, ID actually does have a substantive structure in terms of plot development and character arc- it's just formulaic, politically vacuous and propped up by CGI explosms.