New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5e Campaign] The Eternal Fire

The King holds up a hand to the Diviner, the former stepping forward and the latter stepping back. Firn, get the compass for this Rizet gentleman, then, and get a sword for the boy. Now, I will address you all for hopefully not the last time. One of the women-in-robes quickly heads through a door adjacent, then heads back in about a minute later carrying a longsword by the sheath and a strange device with a lid, presumably the compass. She'd give the sword to Gregory, before handing the compass to Rizet, opening the lid for him, before explaining.. To use it, open it and simply look at it. See the letters 'N', 'S', 'E' and 'W'? Those are, obviously, North, South, East and West. The arrow on the compass will always point north.

Standing tall, the King would speak, loudly, clearly, and affirmedly. Now then. You're going to be going on a journey that cannot be disclosed to the public. This is because, I'll say it plainly now- the people would want to see for themselves, collect the reward, or even take it for another city- thus, you might be trailed out. If your family or friends or anyone you're saying goodbye to asks where you're going and what you're doing there, just say that you will be heading to the Surface and that's it. It'll be dangerous, and I admit the mere journey out of the Black Gate to the surface proper might not be clear of unwanted guests. Please, stay safe, stay discreet, and don't let any surface-dwellers trail you back. Be back as quickly as possible. You'll get a small while to say your goodbyes if you wish. Be at the Black Gate when you're ready- it will be deactivated when you leave and reactivated once you're actually out. He'd seem to show the faint flicker of a smile, before opening the door again. Guards, we're done here. Take them back down and let them out. Veirey, head to the Gate- shouldn't take too long for the others to do their part. The diviner nods quickly, and the King would disappear into the room, nodding towards the other presumed-wizards before the door closes again.

You'd be lead downstairs and outside the castle, back where you were at the start. Veirey would move past you, quickly- seems he's gonna be the one seeing you out once you're ready. Maybe this is time to say your goodbyes. After all, the Surface is dangerous- could be the last time you see this place.

What do you do?

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Riz pockets the compass and nods thanks as the king begins his speech.

"I've said my goodbyes. That's why I was very nearly late." He follows Veirey straight to the gate. He doesn't trust himself not to reveal to his parents the glimmer of hope that he's been shown.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Gregory gives the lady his trusted stick in exchange, for such a sturdy stick is surely a rare find below the surface, belting the word to his waste.

At the gate he shrugs. "I've got nobody to say goodbye to."

Perhaps he should have said goodbye to his parents, they might indeed worry, but they'd been arguing for some time (as to how practical his career choice might be), so having not seen much of them of late he frankly didn't want to.
    That mystical swirling of multicolored leaves as they dance in the air, that fresh fall smell, the perfect weather that makes you feel so very alive. You can almost forget that you're watching dead tissue accumulate as winter claims the world and floods it with the calming scent of death.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

Rogan quietly follows Gregory, Riz and Veirey to the gate, where he would watch the town for a moment before shaking his head.

"I'm ready to leave. No need to wait because of me"

His immediate family was dead and he already seid his goodbyes to those left. He was ready to leave his hometown for the first time in his life. He turns to Gregory next

"So, you got a sword after all. Still, I hope you won't need it." A smal smile appears on his face.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I have already said good by to my people, this moment has long been waiting for me...

He then ponders, not really prepared to say anything, a sense of the situation tellign him to shut up, but he can't... he stares at the king and simply says.

So we are the city's hope, and the only help we get is this compass thing... you humans never cease to surprise me...

Then he turns around and follow the others to the gate.
    greedy humans, not even in their direst need are they willing to give up their privileges. We are nothing for the king, mere pawns. Minimum investment...If we succeed, then he'll take all glory, if we fail there always be someone else to send

I'm set to go

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Auranghzeb View Post
    So we are the city's hope, and the only help we get is this compass thing... you humans never cease to surprise me...
    "He gave me this!" Gregory counters, drawing the sword so quickly, an so wildly, as to make anyone around him fear for their life.
    That mystical swirling of multicolored leaves as they dance in the air, that fresh fall smell, the perfect weather that makes you feel so very alive. You can almost forget that you're watching dead tissue accumulate as winter claims the world and floods it with the calming scent of death.

7. - Top - End - #37

Too late for the Gnome's snark comment- the King's already went inside. Probably can't hear him.

Veirey starts as he hears Gregory draw his new sword. He'd swing around, ready to do something, before stopping and sighing. ...Boy. That weapon isn't a toy. It's for killing things, to put it bluntly. So, would you kindly refrain from drawing it? He summons up a smile, waiting for Gregory to sheathe the sword again, before continuing on towards the Gate. It's massive and magical, of course, glowing a faint green-pink. A slight crowd seems to have gathered- rumours were being spread about the quest to the Surface, like: "But that would mean the Gate had to be opened." "Could it really be going? No. It's impossible." "The gate's shut with powerful magic from a bunch of old wizards, no way it's gonna open, even with the Court the King has now." Veirey smiles to himself, looking across it, before suddenly shouting- very stark difference from the soft tone he had been using. The crowd seems to grow thicker by every passing moment, and hundreds of eyes are on you all. Citizens of Dewport! The time has come. Our brave adventurers are heading through the Gate to the Surface! This journey will be perilous. Please, keep in mind that while they may not return.. they will have a place in our hearts, always.

Veirey points towards the Castle. Direct your attention there, dearest citizens. As we speak, the Court are performing a powerful ritual to deactivate the Gate! A whole bunch of the crowd turn around, and suddenly a bright flash of multicoloured light fills the air. It's not blinding, but it's strange. A series of gasps, oohs and ahhs can be heard from the crowd. If one was looking, the Gate seems to shimmer slightly... before stopping. A few guards move towards the group after admiring the display in wonder, holding sacks which have some packages in. "One sack each, each one has seven rations in for the trail. More than enough." one says, handing one sack to each of you. "Good luck." Veirey would resume speaking once the display was over. Go now, heroes. Gods be with each and every one of you. The massive doors to the gate are slowly opened by the guards. Seems this is it.

8. - Top - End - #38

ClericGuy

As Gregory draws his sword, Rogan takes a step back. Sure, the boy would not like to hurt anyone, but he seemd to be overly enthusiastic about his new weapon. Better be save than sorry, he would not like to get hit if he could help it.
    He would however not say anything about this, as Veirey already did so.

As they finaly reach the gate and their guide gives a speech to the crowd, he can't stop himself from smiling. The powerfull display of magic to deactivate the wards of the massive gates only reinforced it. He felt special, stong, important. "I will return! And I will help bring an end to the cold" he softly whispered to himself.

As the guard hands over the sack containing the rations, he takes it with a and a quiet "Thank you" before taking up his own things and stepping out of the gate, leaving the city for the first time in his life. Outside, he turns back to the crowd again and, slowly, waves his hand toward the city and the citizens of Dewport.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Gregory, unperturbed by the criticism, twirled the sword in a graceful arc back to it's sheath within which it hissed softly. Unbridled enthusiasm or not, the boy had clearly spent many a year learning to use such a weapon to exercise such control over it. He might even have looked the part of a respectable swords-master if he hadn't been wearing that stupidly large smile. It was with a short sprint that the youth caught back up with the party, adopting their walk as he reached them. Impressive as the gate might seem to some however, Gregory paid it and its enchantments no mind as he waited for it to open so they might be on their way.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Fellows, a good friend passed away yesterday. I am a bit distraught and I will take one or two days off. Hope you don't mind. But I need it.

11. - Top - End - #41

HalflingPirate

Riz flashes as smile at the crowd. He cinches up the shoulder strap on his bag and follows the others through the gate without looking back. He's unable to fix his gaze purely forward, however, as the gate absolutely astonishes him. "I'll sure be glad when they raise the protections again. Something about having it down makes me uneasy." Riz quietly quips to his comrades.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Gregory gallantly exits with Bert... or at least he hoped it was, overall he really just kinda looked normal though.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Bichat ignores the crowd as he crosses the gate, marvelled at the possibilities, his tiny heart going faster and faster in excitement. He takes long eager steps into the darkness outiside, piercing it with his keen eyes.

this is what I longed for years, the outside world and maybe the surface...hell yeah!

On the inside he is boiling. He shows nothing. But a big wide grin can be seen on his darkened face.
    He is thrilled.

14. - Top - End - #44

A feeling of joy, hope and happiness seems to flood over the crowd and cheers can be heard from all around. The cheers seemingly quiet as you all step through the Gate and exit, perhaps being replaced with wonder as the Black Gate closes once more, and the familiar glow erupts around it. Now, you hear nothing but silence, with only each of yourselves for company. There is a few lights around the area- Sunrods- but they seem to grow sparse as the cavern goes on. It's a seemingly very-long road. If one were to talk loudly, it'd sound like there was an echo. Maybe now is a good time to start moving. After all, don't want to be stuck outside. You all have a mild feeling of being watched, but if you continued on, this feeling would go away quickly.

What do you do?

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Gregory takes one of the sun rods with him.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Bichat moves ahead of the group, out of the radius of light, using his darkvision to scout ahead.

17. - Top - End - #47

ClericGuy

Rogan seems to be a bit bemused, seeing those sunrods still active. Those he knew would not provide light for very long, some hours, perhaps half a day... But as nobody had left the city... Keeping his voice low, he mutters
    "Who takes care for those sunrods? Unless they are of a different kind than the ones I know, someone must have activated them no more than a few hours before"

Rogan turns to his human companions, maybe they knew something he did not?

18. - Top - End - #48

HalflingPirate

"I think that they are not the usual sunrods, but the dimmer longer lasting kind. Still it was kind of whoever to illuminate this unused passage." Riz takes a magical torch down, himself and follows Bichat.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49

Bichat sees nothing but a winding thing you could only describe as a corridor. It seems to go on for a long, long while. Even when taken, the sunrods don't dim or flicker or... do anything, really, except provide a nice glow for those of the group who were less apt (though apt enough) in dark conditions. Everything seems peaceful, just with the ominous glow of the Black Gate hovering behind the group. If one were to examine the Sunrods, they seem quite old, even dusty in a way, but they work. There is nothing around except your own voices and yourselves. Or so it would seem.

As Bichat moves further from the group, he sees something strange, as does Riz.

Spoiler: For Riz + Bichat's Eyes Only
    Show

You both see a strange creature, barely, through the darkness. It looks about rat-sized, but it seems... strange. Definitely not anything you've seen before. However, it seems to... 'spot' you- from what you can see, it has no eyes- and scurries away from your group. Coincidentally, it's the path you're going, too. There's only one path that you can see.

Spoiler: GM NOTE FOR THE PLAYERS:
    Show

You can make a Knowledge: Dungeoneering check here if you want, to identify what it is.

Last edited by Linken; 2016-05-04 at 09:36 AM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Bichat stops, trying to pierce the darkness, still as a statue and yet detected by the creature... he looks around, on the ceiling, to avoid ambushes...

Spoiler: spot and listen + dungeonering knowledge
    Show
    spot (1d20+8)[13] listen (1d20+8)[14]; knowledge dung (1d20+6)[26]

21. - Top - End - #51

HalflingPirate

Riz is completely baffled by the creature. He half turns and whispers to those behind him, "There is a something up ahead, moving away from us. Creature the size of a rat, but not."
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #52

ClericGuy

Rogan takes another look at the sunrods. They did not seem to be new, as they would be if they had to be replaced regulary. So they would certainly be of long-lasting kind and not a sign of resent passage or maintenance.
    Unlike Gregory and Riz, Rogan does not take a rod himself. Two rods would spend enough light and he would rather not have another thing to carry around. Speaking of...

"Gregory? Could your... Pony? carry some of my things? My tools and the spare Iron I have?" With a possibly hostile animal around, he would rather have his hands free to grab his weapons, without having to leave those things behind.

23. - Top - End - #53

Spoiler: Bichat Dungeoneering Check
    Show

You identify the creature as an Abberation- common in the Underground's deeper caverns, but what's one doing out here? You can't exactly pinpoint the species of Abberation, but you know that they usually attack with tentacles. They're also usually not this small. You hear nothing more and it's already escaped by the time you tried to see it closer. You also see nothing on the ceiling but the barest of movement that also escapes into the passage further.

Bichat seems to identify something.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Linken View Post
    Spoiler: Bichat Dungeoneering Check
    Show

You identify the creature as an Abberation- common in the Underground's deeper caverns, but what's one doing out here? You can't exactly pinpoint the species of Abberation, but you know that they usually attack with tentacles. They're also usually not this small. You hear nothing more and it's already escaped by the time you tried to see it closer. You also see nothing on the ceiling but the barest of movement that also escapes into the passage further.

Bichat seems to identify something.
    This creature shouldn't be here... they dwell deeper...maybe the cold is getting harder down below. Be careful...

Spoiler: The check
    Show
    with a natural 20 i didn't get more information. It must be a powerful creature

He moves slowly and very carefully...readying his bow...
    Spoiler: checks
    Show

(1d20+14)[18] Hide (1d20+12)[32] Move silently

25. - Top - End - #55

Quote Originally Posted by Auranghzeb View Post
    This creature shouldn't be here... they dwell deeper...maybe the cold is getting harder down below. Be careful...

Spoiler: The check
    Show
    with a natural 20 i didn't get more information. It must be a powerful creature

He moves slowly and very carefully...readying his bow...
    Spoiler: checks
    Show

[roll0] Hide [roll1] Move silently
    Spoiler: Auran
    Show

In terms of the check, the only reason you didn't get more was because you couldn't see it before it escaped. Once you get a full view of it, I'll give you more.
    Last edited by Linken; 2016-05-05 at 12:30 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    "Gregory? Could your... Pony? carry some of my things? My tools and the spare Iron I have?" With a possibly hostile animal around, he would rather have his hands free to grab his weapons, without having to leave those things behind.
    Gregory shrugs, allowing Bert to be loaded up.

27. - Top - End - #57

ClericGuy

Rogan slowly moves to Bert to load up his tools and iron, as well as the provisions they all got.
    "Thanks"

After doing so, he prepares his shield and his hammer before moving on, toward Riz. The boy looks as if he could need some protection, should the beast he described decide to attack.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Gregory ogles slightly at the numerous blacksmithing supplies, but readily hops up to set two of the sunrods close to the gate, and to retrieve the others as he goes to load visibly onto Bert, figuring that if the others were alarmed about something in the shadows, they had best keep the light close to them in hopes of keeping it at bay, or rather in hopes of smiting it in the brilliant light the glowing mule now casts.

29. - Top - End - #59

HalflingPirate

"Let's press on. Whatever it was was small, and likely afraid of our noise and light. Just remember we are on the other side of the gate now, and stay alert."
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #60

The group advances forward. The glow of the Black Gate soon fades away, and all that remains is the light of the Sunrods and lit-up Bert, who trudges along loyally even with the iron and... everything packed onto him. Slight chittering could be heard, however, deeper in the cave- Bichat and Riz hear it louder. The feeling of being watched suddenly sets in again, and it dawns on you all that you're not alone. Bert looks around, seemingly spooked. But what is stalking you, and to what capacity? Could be one of those rat-sized things that Riz mentioned. In fact, one could assume that it IS just a rat. Assuming one could survive down here, they're small, weak, and definitely not a problem to deal with if anything happens and they turn rabid or vicious. Care might be required, though. Nothing except your own voices could be heard after the first couple bouts of chittering, though. All in all, you're unsure what it could be, but it's probably somewhat dangerous, even just a smidgen- that is, if the legends of what lies beyond the Gate are true.
    Spoiler: for everyone.
    Show

Roll for spot/listen if you so choose.

Spoiler: secret DM rolls, do not look
    Show

(1d20+4)[11]Bichat Initiative
    (1d20-6)[4] Gregory Initiative
    (1d20+2)[8] Rogan Initiative
    (1d20+2)[6] Riz's Initiative
    (1d20+2)[8] ??? Initiative
    (1d20+2)[19] ??? Initiative
    (1d20+2)[3] ??? Initiative
    Last edited by Linken; 2016-05-06 at 01:27 PM.