New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5e Campaign] The Eternal Fire

Gregory had seen a hoard of hungry rats kill a man once, so he didn't underestimate these chittering miscreants, but so far as they stayed away, and as long as the light repelled them, there was nothing to do for it. So it was that Gregory just continued gathering sunrods to Bert. After all, the brighter they were, and the more darkness they left in their wake, the less need there would be to watch another man devoured by hungry rats. As he went Gregory smiled brightly as Bert began to take on a blinding brilliance, sure to repel any night-walker.
    That mystical swirling of multicolored leaves as they dance in the air, that fresh fall smell, the perfect weather that makes you feel so very alive. You can almost forget that you're watching dead tissue accumulate as winter claims the world and floods it with the calming scent of death.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

Rogan makes sure to stay near Riz as they advance. "Your name is Rizat, right? Do you know anything about the things we might have to face out here?" he asked silently, while staring into the darkness around them.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    spot: (1d20)[12]
    listen:(1d20)[12]

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I have studied the creatures of the caves in books and manuals, but never faced them...

Spoiler: rolls
    Show
    spot (1d20+8)[25] listen (1d20+8)[24]

Bichat prepares his bow and places a tiny arrow, he moves in a zigzag motion forward 30' and actively looking around

4. - Top - End - #64
    Barbarian in the Playground

Nobody spots anything or hears anything aside from themselves. Except Bichat, who has split from the party and went off towards the unknown. He can see in the dark, so surely he'll be alright. You advance deeper into the darkness.

Spoiler: Bichat
    Show

You hear soft skittering coming from above and in front. You see two very small creatures in front of you, as well as one that's lodged itself into a crevice in the 'ceiling'. Your attempts at stealth seem to be successful, but one of the creatures raises its... head? You're unsure of WHAT exactly these nodes of blackened flesh are, but they're clearly abberations. You faintly recall the names of these beasts- Bothrii. Usually, they aren't in such small groups, but these must be stragglers. Two blackened pieces of mass that you can only believe are tentacles hang tucked-away within the node. A tiny mouth, like a lamprey's, seems to be on its front. You recall that these creatures are weak, but very dodgy and jumpy. After the first one raises their 'head', the others do too, and they seem to be aware of your presence. Seems they've gotten used to living underground via either blindsense or blindsight- you're not sure which. One of the three moves towards you, dragging itself quickly.
    Last edited by Linken; 2016-05-07 at 06:30 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Firbolg in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    Rogan makes sure to stay near Riz as they advance. "Your name is Rizat, right? Do you know anything about the things we might have to face out here?" he asked silently, while staring into the darkness around them.
    "Rizet, actually, but everyone calls me Riz. I didn't study much in school. Didn't see the point beyond basic arithmetic and some reading."
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Bichat moves back quickly, to alert the rest, and to avoid those tentacles.
    Spoiler: initiative
    Show
    How close am I? do I get to act in surprise and then move back? (1d20+4)[15]

If he gets to the others...
    there's something ahead, Bothrills, they can drop in and choke you.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Gregory quickly lights a torch, offering it to the party at large
    Spoiler
    Show

Improvised weapon, so -4 to attack, but 1d6 damage+1 fire damage, and I think perhaps a chance to catch flammable things on fire.
    Last edited by drack; 2016-05-08 at 11:44 AM.
    That mystical swirling of multicolored leaves as they dance in the air, that fresh fall smell, the perfect weather that makes you feel so very alive. You can almost forget that you're watching dead tissue accumulate as winter claims the world and floods it with the calming scent of death.

8. - Top - End - #68

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dextercorvia View Post
    "Rizet, actually, but everyone calls me Riz. I didn't study much in school. Didn't see the point beyond basic arithmetic and some reading."
    "Oh, I'm sorry Riz. And don't worry, you are not the only one who did not study much. I was busy learning my trade, there was no time for books"

Quote Originally Posted by Auranghzeb View Post
    Bichat moves back quickly, to alert the rest, and to avoid those tentacles.

If he gets to the others...
    there's something ahead, Bothrills, they can drop in and choke you.
    "Bothrills? Never heard of them..." he muttered. "What do they look like?"

Quote Originally Posted by drack View Post
    Gregory quickly lights a torch, offering it to the party at large
    Rogan seems unsure, but after a moment acepts the torch "Thank you. I hope, this will keep those beasts away from us"
    Last edited by Rogan; 2016-05-08 at 11:48 AM.

9. - Top - End - #69

Spoiler: Auran
    Show

The one approaching you is about 20ft away but closing in quickly. They aren't attacking just yet- maybe not in range? However, the creature above suddenly drops down, arcing itself towards your throat.

Something-presumably the Bothrii that Bichat mentioned- suddenly drops down onto the gnome, two flailing limbs outreached that attempt to lock onto him as it comes crashing down. The rest of the group are around 40 feet away from Bichat, but due to their low light vision and sunrods they can see him and the creature seizing him- or at least trying to- in the darkness- a node of blackened flesh, albeit a diminutive one.

Spoiler: ooc note
    Show

I've already rolled initiative earlier to save time, it's in the DM notes a few posts ago.

Spoiler: Rolls for everyone to see
    Show

(1d20+1)[11] Bothrii's Attack
    (1d3)[1] Bothrii Damage (if hit)

Spoiler: INITIATIVE ORDER, FEEL FREE TO LOOK AT THIS ONE
    Show

(1d20+2)[19] Bothrii Initiative
    (1d20+4)[11]Bichat Initiative
    (1d20+2)[8] Rogan Initiative
    (1d20+2)[8] Bothrii Initiative
    (1d20+2)[6] Riz's Initiative
    (1d20-6)[4] Gregory Initiative
    (1d20+2)[3] Bothrii Initiative

The Bothrii's jump fails miserably- the gnome was just too quick- and it tumbles down to the ground. Since Bichat is running, the node and two others seem to pursue quite speedily by dragging themselves along the ground, akin to worms. They're approaching the group and can see you now.
    Last edited by Linken; 2016-05-09 at 09:38 AM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Bichat knows he is easy game if he stays within melee reach... he moves fast to where his comrades in arms are. and turns around to let go an arrow, almost knitting needle sized, and his heart pumps fast... the excitment of the first combat!

Spoiler: action
    Show
    MOVE: Move 30' in the directon of my friends. STANDARD: Shoot an arrow to the bug chasing me (1d20+6)[12] damage (1d4+1)[2]+(1d6)[4] skirmrish

11. - Top - End - #71

ClericGuy

Some few seconds after his question, the Bothrii moves closer and into his sight. Obviously it was going after Bichat, who tries to defend himself with his bow, while running toward the rest of the group.

"For Dewport!" he shouts and moves toward Bichat and slightly ahead of the gnome. There he stopes and prepares himself to swing the torch against the first enemy who comes close enough to get hit.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Move toward Bichat, ~15'
    Standart: Ready meele attack vs first enemy to get into range.
    (1d20-1)[6] attack (+1BAB+2STR-4impro weapon) for (1d6+2)[6] (+2 STR) and 1 fire damage

12. - Top - End - #72

The Bothrii, despite being a nigh-featureless black lump of sorts, nimbly avoids the attack with surprising agility. Seems it needed to be quick even if it doesn't look all that strong. You deduce that light won't hurt it as it has no eyes. Its 'friend' is closing in fast, and redirects itself towards Rogan, naturally sensing the greater threat in that one: he had fire and two: he looked strong. The strong eat the weak. So, it deigns to take him out first- if it can. It attempts a swing at him with two tentacles!

Spoiler: BOTHRII ACTIVITY
    Show

Bothrii moving towards Rogan however far it needs to go- fast little guys (or girls, you decide not to check)- and it swings.
    (1d20)[6] Tentacle 1 Attack
    (1d20)[13] Tentacle 2 Attack
    (1d3)[1] Tentacle 1 Damage
    (1d3)[2] Tentacle 2 Damage

Both tentacles dramatically miss, swinging just past Rogan! They looked pretty deadly, though, definitely would hurt SOMEONE if they got ahold. There is now one creature by Rogan and near Bichat.
    Last edited by Linken; 2016-05-09 at 09:48 AM.

13. - Top - End - #73

HalflingPirate

Riz drops his sunrod in front of him, and draws his crossbow. He pulls a bolt from its case and loads it into the track.

Show

Free: Drop sunrod
    Move: Draw Crossbow
    Move: Load Crossbow
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Gregory drops his sunrod too, drawing sword and shield alike he moves over to...
    Spoiler: if there's an enemy within 30'
    Show
    the nearest enemy, cleaving them with his sword.
    (1d20+1)[17] for (1d8+1)[4] damage

Spoiler: if there's not an enemy within 30'
    Show
    Bert, preparing to defend him from the clearly quite evil and malicious threat.

actions
    Spoiler
    Show

Free action: drop sunrod
    free action: draw sword
    Free action: draw shield
    standard action: attack, or ready action to attack
    move action: move to nearest enemy to attack, or move to Bert and ready action to attack anything that comes within range.

15. - Top - End - #75

There indeed was a Bothrii near to Gregory- or, well, near to Rogan and co. It is slain in a single fell swoop- looks like these little creatures are very weak. Either that, or Gregory's very strong. Maybe a mix of both. Either way, blackened blood spills out of it- a sudden charge by one- as if sensing the death of its comrade- causes it to barrel towards Gregory. They're also very stupid.

Spoiler: attacks
    Show

(1d20)[5]
    (1d20)[1]
    (1d3)[3]
    (1d3)[3]

Once more the Bothrii's outreached tentacles miss, but they look as if they could have done a lot of damage. It hisses and backs off. Looks like the other one is getting ready to move.
    Last edited by Linken; 2016-05-10 at 04:26 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Bichat zig zag in the corridor, looking for angles and shoots once again to the nearest bug.

Spoiler: movement
    Show
    (1d20+6)[24] damage: (1d4+1)[2], (1d6)[6]

17. - Top - End - #77

The other Bothrii moves towards Bichat. Its comrade is also felled by the arrow. Stupid things. It attempts to lash out at him as a last resort. Seems this'd probably be the end for it unless it could dodge a torch, a hammer, magic, a bow and a lot of other stuff all at once.

Spoiler: rolls
    Show

(1d20)[12]
    (1d20)[10]
    (1d3)[3]
    (1d3)[3]

The Bothrii dramatically misses, and the tentacles smack against the ground. Looks like it's in real trouble now.
    Last edited by Linken; 2016-05-11 at 08:43 AM.

18. - Top - End - #78

ClericGuy

Seeing two of those beasts going down, Rogan smiles slightly. "You picked the wrong targets!"

Rogan moves to follow the last Bothrii and swings his torch. It seems teribly unwieldy compared to his hammer, but he might still land a hit.

Spoiler: attack
    Show
    (1d20-1)[6] for (1d6+2)[8] or (1d4+2)[5] damage.
    +1 point of fire damage

EDIT:
    As the torch hit the stone floor instead of the enemy, he lets out an angry shout and prepares to defend himself, should the beast strike back.
    Last edited by Rogan; 2016-05-11 at 09:44 AM.

19. - Top - End - #79

HalflingPirate

Riz levels his crossbow at the globular creature and waits for an opportunity. Legs and torches pass between him and his target, then there. Twang. He pulls the trigger hoping for the best. The man reaches for another bolt and begins reloading. His comrades' legs obscure the creature again, so he can't see the result. I'd better keep this loaded. It's dangerous out here.

Show

Attack (1d20-2)[6] (includes the firing into melee penalty)
    Damage (1d8)[8]
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Enthusiastically Gregory moves on to his next target, running and jumping and slashing to his heart's content.
    Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+1)[21] for (1d8+1)[5] damage (if 18 hits that doubles to 10 damage)
    Last edited by drack; 2016-05-11 at 06:24 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81

Gregory downs another Bothrii with a single killing blow. There are now three motionless lumps scattered around. Strange creatures. Dead creatures, too, but strange ones. There's not much else to be said- there's now just eerie silence.

22. - Top - End - #82

ClericGuy

As Gregory delivers a second killing blow, Rogan seems impressed by the display of swordsmanship.
    He looks around, checking for more Bothrii, but can't find any. "I'm glad the kind had a sword for you. You realy know how to use it."

He turns to examine the downed creatures, using his torch to poke them slightly, to make sure they realy are dead.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Gregory smiles as his chest swells with pride. "You can trust a Lionsheart sir, it wasn't for nothing that my family did come of guardsmen." Feeling the need to further demonstrate his skill, Gregory stabs each of them again before loading them onto Bert. After all, they looked edible, and it'd be a shame to waste good meat.

24. - Top - End - #84

HalflingPirate

Riz leaves his loaded crossbow in one hand and bends down to pick up his fallen sunrod with the other. "Any idea what those things were?"
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Spoiler: Knowledge
    Show
    DM I don't know what those creatures were... but Bichat knew

Aberrations... common denizens of the depths. This is too close to the surface for them to be here...

Bichat sits close to the more intact body and takes out his sketch book and the chalk, he draws the creature and turns it in different angles. to see the tentacles and the body...

If you don't mind, i'd like to open it, see the organs...

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Gregory passes along one that's already been cut open by his masterful swordsmanship.

27. - Top - End - #87

ClericGuy

"I don't want to be a poor sport, but I think we should move on. You can examine those creatures later"

28. - Top - End - #88

The sliced-apart creature looks very dead. Very, very, very dead. Especially dead now. Inside it, there are a few strange things. However, the first thing you notice is its lamprey-like mouth, presumably for eating. The second thing, inside now, is near where its mouth's insides would be. Looks like a strange, oozing lump. Maybe the brain or something. The third, and final, is a set of organs that you can't quite identify, but can be safely assumed to be 'normal' internal organs.

Well.

As normal as an Abberation's gets.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Agreeing with Rogan, Gregory suggests "He can examine it while we go.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Bichat doesn't feel like wandering around with a carcass so he quickly sketches and writes. And then follows the rest of the party.

(could anyonw link the OoC thread, I can't find it)