New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Savage Tide: There is No Honor

All five of you respond with a an almost trained readiness as the monkey's chase after the chattering Xuzaxa as he releases an arrow at the lead monkey to have it thunk solidly into his target...only to have the arrow forced out of the screaming primate as the wound closed up behind the arrow. Before he could draw more arrows, Lakaran swung his walking stick at another of the little deformed monkeys only to have it nimbly leap over the blow to sink it's hook-like teeth into his hand before falling back to the ground. (1 damage)

With two loud twangs the phanaton released his next two arrows at the same monkey, noting some success when the second arrow remained partially lodged in the defiled animal's flesh as Tristan approached the same target and deftly plunged his rapier into it. With a loud shriek though, the creature shook off the blow and snap at him angerily, though his scalemail proved sturdy enough to prevent the little ape from getting through.

Only one of the monkeys kept on it's original target, shrieking madly as it dove at it's prey only for Xuzaxa to step aside and swat it with his bow (just a cinematic ) to push it farther back from himself.

Tristan didn't have as much luck when the last monkey went right for him, grabbing hold of his leg and sinking sharp little teeth into his lower leg and shaking it's head before the bald man was able to kick it off and make an awkward pass at it with his rapier only to have the little critter evade him. Luckily the missed stab pulled him out of the way of the wayward crossbow bolt that went flying past and when he looked over at Erech incredulously, the man gave an apologetic shrug.

Spoiler
    Show
    Xuzaxa's Knowledge check information: The closest thing he's heard of to this is when animals have become diseased or ill (Rabies for civilized folk), but never has he heard of it actually twisting an animal into something else.

Just a note: Some things I'll add into combat descriptions to make it look neater to read or for my own enjoyment but have no actual effect mechanically, if your against this just lemme know and I won't do it for you. Also, certain rolls that your character wouldn't know about (Certain saves (Poison, disease, failing a drained level save), skill checks (passively listening/spotting/searching), etc.) I'll make in private because they send up red flags to you guys and may influence your characters when it shouldn't. Nothing personal, and look at it this way. If a failed roll I make for you would otherwise mess up my storyline I may fudge it a bit in your favor...not entirely, but just a little.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Erech Agius
    Round Two Action

The dark-skinned man aims a finger at the monkey-thing attacking Lakaran. A bolt of lightning sizzles from the sky and strikes the creature, imposing a distinct stench upon the area. "Sorry, but I must end your misery, little one," he mutters under his breath.

Spoiler
    Show
    Lightning Strike Damage (Ref DC 15): (3d6)[9]
    If I need to move to within 30', please do so.
    My AC is currently 16 with my Pact Augmentation insight bonus;
    HPs 22.
    As far as making certain rolls for us goes, I've no complaints. It makes good sense. And I like the summarized round of actions edited for appearance. It's a nice touch.
    Last edited by GimliFett; 2007-09-06 at 11:03 AM.
    I have returned!! Not that most of y'all know whom I am.

Mega-Awesome Avatar done by Dawn!

The Many Faces of GimliFett.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Barbarian in the Playground

Xuzaxa:

Xuzaxa frowns as his arrows appear defective. He takes a quick hop back and fires two more arrows at the one he injured. They are weak but powerful. We must take them out one at a time!

Spoiler
    Show
    Five foot step back. Still rapid shooting.
    Attack1: - (1d20+7)[10]
    Damage1: - (1d6)[6]
    Attack2: - (1d20+7)[27]
    Damage2: - (1d6)[3]
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Bugbear in the Playground

Tristan

Tristan freaks out when the monkey grabs on, losing all sense to stab it while it's still stuck to leg and not moving. As he kicks it off, he misses his chance to poke it. He side steps around it, waving his sword menacingly on the right of the creature before feinting over to the opposite side and making a stab.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack - (1d20+3)[8]
    Damage - (1d6)[3]

Tristans AC is 17, 18 with his Dodge Partner[The creature he attacked]. His HP is 19.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    If griffin-hugs are going around, I want in on them!
    Avery: What are you, some kind of grammar nazi?
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!
    Owner of adorable Wayriltar

5. - Top - End - #95
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Lakaran Tolivar

Lakaran tries desperately to get the primate's jaws off of him by kicking futilely at the small creature. It seems to let go and fall back to the ground, rather than responding to his inept kicks. Shocked more than hurt, Lakaran prepares for a second swing with his staff. Not wanting a repeat of the primate's successful attack, he puts every ounce of attention and strength into the swing.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+2)[12]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[3]
    Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground

In some ways it seemed as if everyone had merely repeated what they had done, but to different effects then before. Lakaran once again proved that the little deformed animals were nimble as he took a swing at the hook-mouthed monkey, just to have it avoid the blow and try to bite him once more. Thankfully he was able to yank back his tender flesh before the...animal could get a hold of him. Xuzaxa's arrows proved to be about as effective as before except for the first arrow that went whizzing by it's mark while the other thunked into it's target and stuck to it.

Tristan's troubles seemed only to have just begun as his blows swung wide but at least his opponents were having just as much luck, hissing and clawing at him but unwilling to get close enough for him to stick them with his rapier. But with a crack and a boom a lightening bolt came out of the sky and struck one of the miserable animals dead on, jerking and spasming until it was over. The smell of scorched pus and flesh came off of the bolt's target but it remained standing. How, was a mystery though since it seemed to be at the point where it should have dropped to the ground unconcsious.

Spoiler
    Show
    Round of misses on my side. x.x
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Erech Agius
    Round Three Action

Erech shakes his head and directs another bolt at the same creature even as he moves a little away from his companions. "Please rest in peace, little one," he says quietly.

Spoiler
    Show
    Lightning Strike Damage (Ref DC 15): (3d6)[12]
    Move so I'm 20' or so from the guys, and within 30' of the creature I'm blasting.
    HPs 22.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Lakaran Tolivar

Seeing the one little beast struck by lighting still standing, Lakaran asks to no one in particular, "what are these things?"

Annoyed with the nimble creature, Lakaran tries to slam the blunt end of the staff into it's neck like a spear. Hopefully the creature won't foresee the change in tactics and will be caught off guard when it expects another wild, arcing swing.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+2)[4] Note: My change in tactics isn't meant to change anything rules-wise, just flavor-wise and hopefully luck-wise.
    Damage: (1d6+1)[3]
    Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.

9. - Top - End - #99

Tristan

Tristan wasn't very happy with his successive misses, though there was no need to risk himself to make a connection with his blade. The monkeys didn't seem to be having much luck hitting him either, so it was only a matter of time. He sticks as far away from the monkey being pelted with lighting; He didn't want anything to do with the little lightning rod.

He keeps strafing around his target, looking for an opening. He kicks some dust up off to the side with his foot, hoping the monkey follows the dust long enough to succeed in his strike.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack - (1d20+3)[12]
    Damage - (1d6)[4]

Tristans AC is 17, 18 with his Dodge Partner[The creature he attacked]. His HP is 19.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!

10. - Top - End - #100

Xuzaxa:

Xu is becoming extremely annoyed with the monkeys. He chatters on in his native language. The other party members are unsure whether he is screaming curses, praying for accuracy, or praying for the monkeys' spirits. He once more launches two arrows at the same monkey.

Spoiler
    Show
    Still rapid shooting same monkey. He's my arch-nemesis.
    Attack1: - (1d20+7)[8]
    Damage1: - (1d6)[1]
    Attack2: - (1d20+7)[20]
    Damage2: - (1d6)[3]
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ettin in the Playground

The swift change of style didn't accomplish quite what Lakaran was hoping to, missing the primate of his own accord this time rather then simply having it dodge out of his way. But it proved more then a little successful in keeping the violent creature away from him and his soft flesh as it snapped it's jaws at him once more, lines of caustic looking drool hanging from it's lower jaw.

Xuzaxa's foe proved to be more resilient and canny this time around, avoiding one arrow and having the other pop back out of it, but more alarming was when it leaped for it's prey. Jaws wide, Xuzaxa didn't prove as lucky when hook-shaped teeth sank into the membrane of his wings before he was able to beat back the smaller animal.

Again Tristan and his foes danced around each other, none of them able to land a solid hit on each other. Whither or not that was a fortunate thing or not couldn't truly be told as another lightening bolt thundered from the sky to strike one of them, this time it'd didn't remain standing and instead collapsed bonelessly to the ground.

Spoiler
    Show
    Lakaran's change in style didn't seem to help to much. Wrong style perhaps? Just as Xu's arch-nemisis continues to frustrate him. But Monkey C has fallen to lightening. Can you keep doing that round after round? I was fairly certain that you had to wait five rounds between lightening..

12. - Top - End - #102

Tristan

With the monkey he was fight fried, Tristan steps back towards the group and frowns. He wasn't able to hit it very much, as little training as he had put into using his weapon, but at least he was able to spare himself any blows (however much skill it requires to dodge sick little monkey-things) Peeved as he was, he pulls out a potion bottle from his belt and pours the contents on his rapier. Spilling quite a bit all over the place, he fans his rapier around drys it out, leaving it with a peculiar blue glow.

Spoiler
    Show
    Stepping back 20 feet and using up a potion of Magic Weapon which will last for 1 minute and provide a +1 bonus to attack.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.

13. - Top - End - #103

Xuzaxa:

Xuzaxa drops his bow and quickly comes up with his spear. Still chattering angrily, he jabs the spear at the monkey attached to him. His jab is slow, and he focuses mostly on the monkey, preparing to dodge the thing once he gets it off.

Spoiler
    Show
    Fighting Defensively: AC=21 HP=24? I didn't see a damage listed for the monkey.
    Attack: - (1d20)[10]
    Damage: - (1d4)[1]
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

Erech Agius
    Round Four Action

Tears seem to fall freely from the dark man's eyes. He moves once more, closing somewhat with the phanaton and his assailant and directs a bolt to strike the misshapen creature. "Help's on its way, Xu!" he calls out to the little ranger.

Spoiler
    Show
    Lightning Strike Damage (Ref DC 15): (3d6)[11]
    HPs 22.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The Savage Tide: There is No Honor

Time seemed to go by faster and faster as the battle progressed among you. Lakran's staff finally seemed to find the target it was looking for and knocked the savage critter away just as it was about to bite into him once more. Xu proved lucky in much the same manner as the lightening bolt cracked down against his foe, making it shake from the electrical discharge. Unfortunately his arrows swerved wide and missed his foe. Once the bright light finally faded from the phanaton's eyes he saw the simian animal laid out on the ground, smoke rising up from blackened fur. It shuddered once before it began crawling along the ground, a line of drool leaking from the corner of it's mouth as it slowly pulled itself along after the phanaton and ineffectively snapped at him.

Tristan's other little friend proved adamant in it's pursuit of him, chasing after him and ignoring any of the dangers that might come from such a reckless charge. At the last second though Tristan kicked out and caught the monkey in the face before it's sharply hooked fangs could find sensitive flesh. (Tristan gets an AoO) Evan finally shook off his fright, voice becoming high-pitched as his hands went through the motions of a spell, two bright blue darts of magical energy exploding from his hands to pound into Lakran's foe and the weakened monkey crawling after Xuzaxa which finally went limp while the other looked more feverish and wild then ever.

16. - Top - End - #106

Tristan

Tristan gave a satisfied grin as he hits the monkey in the face. Sure, it didn't do much but knock it back, but it opened up an opportunity to strike. Of course, it should be mentioned it was the first hit since he got bit in the leg, and it felt real good to get payback.

Not one to get caught up in how absolutely wonderful it was to kick ugly, festering monkeys, he followed up during its disorientation to jab at it with his glowing weapon, taking a bit long on the withdrawal but able to get in a series of hasty pokes at the creature, hoping one might strike it's mark.

Spoiler
    Show

AoO
    Attack - (1d20+4)[11]; Rapier now counts as a magic weapon for DR
    Damage - (1d6+1)[5]

Attack - (1d20+4)[21]
    Damage - (1d6+1)[5]

HP is still 18/19, AC with current Dodge Partner is 18
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.

17. - Top - End - #107

Xuzaxa:

Xuzaxa moves slowly towards the closest live monkey. He warily circles his opponent. Cautiously, he attacks the monkey with his spear. The cautious attack allows him to quickly swing back into defense against the monkey's counterattack.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Still fighting defensively. AC: 21, HP: 19(24)
    Attack: - (1d20)[2]
    Damage: - (1d4)[2]
    Sorry for checking in late, but Xuzaxa's character sheet was lost.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Erech Agius
    Round Five Action

Erech directs yet another bolt of lightning down upon the creature harassing Xuzaxa, even as he moves to keep it between himself and the phanaton. "How's everyone else doin'?" he calls out to his companions.

Spoiler
    Show
    Lightning Strike Damage (Ref DC 15): (3d6)[9]
    HPs 22.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground

Lakran and his foe continued their deadly dance of swing and miss, eyeing each other warily as the remaining three of the spellcaster's companions finished off the other two. Xuxaza's arrow thudded into the ground beside his target, aim shaky from the bite he had taken to his wing but in the end it didn't matter. The little primate bled out on the ground as it crawled after him. With one final shudder, the horribly deformed animal went still on the ground as it's eyes glazed over...

Tristan, to his great surprise, missed the ape's opening but was able to sink the tip of his weapon into the monkey and drew a rather startled reaction from it. It shrieked with pain and writhed as Tristan hastily withdrew his weapon in surprise. Not only had he hit it, but the wound wasn't beginning to close either. Lacking his former target Erech shifted his aim over to the one that had been harassing Lakran, calling down another bolt of lightening with a loud crack that laid the little beast low...

20. - Top - End - #110

Xuzaxa:

Xuzaxa quickly switches from his spear back to his bow. He takes a quick look at his battling companions. Seeing that they have everything under control, he stalks forward a little and looks for any other enemies.

OOC: Spot: - (1d20+6)[21]
    Also, Xu had been using his spear for the past few attacks, not his bow.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

Erech Agius
    Round Six Action

After having downed another of the creatures, Erech turns to see how the others progress in their own battles. Seeing Lakaran's situation, the binder calls down another bolt upon the creature. "You all right, Lak?" he calls out to the mage.

Spoiler
    Show
    Lightning Strike Damage (Ref DC 15): (3d6)[17]
    AC is currently 16 with Pact Augmentation insight bonuses;
    HPs 22.

22. - Top - End - #112

Tristan

As Tristan moved in circles with his primate counterpart, dodging, parrying and lunging, he couldn't help but wonder why they hadn't been kicked over the next tree by now. They seemed diseased, but aggressiveness or not, they did not function at all like they were sick; It should be about now they collapsed in exhaustion.

I REALLY don't like this at all...

Spoiler
    Show

Attack - (1d20+4)[10]
    Damage - (1d6+1)[2]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The Savage Tide: There is No Honor

Lakran's foe seemed ready to leap upon him once more, fangs bared and mad eyes gleaming in what little sunlight made it through the canopy, when another crack broke the sound of battle. The lightening bolt left the monkey a burnt husk, the smell of charred meat in the air and dark smoke rising up off of the body. Erech, the maestro of the bolt, looked sadly at the deformed creature before Lakran, Evan, and Erech turned to the last of the hideous monkeys...

Xuzaxa left the last of the foes in the capable hands of his comrades as he scampered forward in search of any more foes ready to descend upon them. Peering around he finds no more deformed monkeys in the immiedete area or any other living thing either, only the torn up remains of what was once the native wild life. It would seem that as the frenzied battle in the area had begun to die out, the primates had been the last survivors. But it was something else that drew his sharp eyes, a thick column of black smoke was reaching up into the air but it was hard to distinguish how far away it was from his position on the jungle floor.

Tristan, emboldened by his new found success with his rapier proved to be a bit overconfident in his ability to hurt his enemy. Lines of drool hanging down to the ground, the monkey leaped away from the attacks, warily circling before it's madness compelled it to leap for Tristan's throat only to be batted away like a rag doll when Evan solidly thwacked it with a handy piece of wood.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

Erech Agius
    Round Seven Action

Seeing only the creature still battling Tristan, Erech directs a bolt at it hoping to finish the creature off so the group can finally move forward. "Are they being directed, or just wantonly attacking?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Lightning Strike Damage (Ref DC 15): (3d6)[12]
    AC is currently 16 with Pact Augmentation insight bonuses;
    HPs 22.

25. - Top - End - #115

Xuzaxa:

"They are plagued. Stalling us from cove arrival. Something is burning. Xuzaxa thinks is a ship. Deal with last one; we must hurry!"
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

26. - Top - End - #116

Tristan

Tristan takes a final stab at the monkey, stepping back quickly before Erechs' lighting bares down. "No objections here, fuzzy one.", he says, prepared to get moving to the next point if the monkey was dead or not.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack then 5-foot step away

Attack - (1d20+4)[5]
    Damage - (1d6+1)[3]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    ...This worries me...its not you guys aren't good characters and whatnot...but misses and rolls like that worry me.

With Evan and Tristan keeping the small critter at bay it was simple for Erech to blast it yet another time with a bolt of lightening...And then it lay still, mouth open as if in another hungry shriek with smoke rising from it's 'cooked' flesh. Xuzaxa's news proved worrying though and with nary any hesitance all of you turn towards Kraken's Cove...except for one.

Evan stood where he had been before the attack, looking ashamed and ashamed of himself. When asked why he was waiting though he could only respond. "I can't take this anymore...not stuff like this. I'm...I'm going to go back to the boat...wait for you guys there."

With a mournful look in his eyes the wizard waves a farewell to you as he turns to trek back along the path that had lead him here in the first place. After waiting a silent moment it a nervous titter by Xuzaxa that brought all of you back to reality and your goal. Forsaking stealth, everything that could hurt you seemed to be dead, the four of you set out at a brisk jog with the phanaton as your guide.

Tristan:
    Spoiler
    Show
    As you proceed towards the cove, you can feel the bite on your foot pulse painfully at the jarring pace that had been set. Despite the heat of the jungle, or rather maybe because of, your already sweating badly...

Soon all of you can see the pillar of smoke in the sky, towering ominously in an otherwise clear day. The smell of something burning wasn't too far off and through a break in the tree's ahead, you can glimpse the blood red waters of Blood Bay and Kraken's Cove. Picking up the pace, nothing a moment or two's rest wouldn't fix, you stumble out of the jungle undergrowth into the harsh glare of sun. Blinking rapidly, it's hard to make out the scene down below but when you do it's more then a little alarming.

Kraken's Cove was on fire.

In the sheltered cove below, an inferno rages atop the water. Several ships, including a two-masted caravel, a sizeable frigate, a long barge, and what might have once been a schooner are all ablaze. Further out, a three-masted caravel seems to have escaped the fire-for now. A shiny slick on the surface of the water itself burns as well, creating a wall of wood and flame. The heat rises in searing sheets, and the roar of the flaming maelstrom mixed with the crashing surf masks any other sounds that might be issuing up from below. Through periodic gaps in the smoke, however, movement on the beach is visible-something still lives in the inferno below.

Smoke could possibly fill the air at this spot with the wrong breeze, but none of you feel that worry. Instead the curious thing was that none of the ships had any noise from them, like that of a desperate crew trying to snuff out the flames or even of those who had been trapped and screaming in terror. For a pirate cove, things were awfully quiet...

A worn and old looking walkway descends down the eastern side of the Cove's walls to a small stretch of beach pressed against the rock face. It doesn't appear to have been used in a long while but the rocky protrusions of the Cove's walls offer plenty of handhold for one to keep their balance on the rickety wooden path.
    Last edited by Callos_DeTerran; 2007-11-04 at 07:31 PM.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

Erech Agius

The dark-skinned binder stands agape for a long moment before snapping his mouth shut and snorting. "Well. There's somethin' ya don't see everyday, huh? Or hear. Or don't hear. Ya get the point," he says. "Down the steps, then, gents?" Erech asks with a flourish of his hand indicating the staircase.

29. - Top - End - #119

Xuzaxa:

The phanaton looks on the scene with horror. Something was wrong. The ships should not be burning like that. He couldn't see or hear any of the crew, so he assumed that they must have already been 'dealt with.' He brings out his bow and readies an arrow. As the others head down the stairs, he gazes out over the water at the non-flaming boat, trying to make out any crew or action on board. Perhaps something out of the ordinary.

Spot - (1d20+8)[10]
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-10-30 at 08:16 PM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

30. - Top - End - #120

Tristan

Tristan grits his teeth as he runs, slipping once or twice as he runs as the pain in his leg makes it difficult to step on it. He keeps up with the two others, but only with a crooked look on his face. He wipes his brow, sweating profusely in the jungle heat. None the less, he shivers once he reaches a stop.

He looks down at the boats, striking a thought at the edge of his mind. He closes his eyes and tries to focus on it. "Hey guys, don't all of these flaming ships remind you of our Employer's siblings mode of operation? I'll put a silver to it he might have been here, but let's find out."

Curling his arms around his chest, he proceeds down with the others, curious to what they'll see once getting closer.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.