New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Gankable Avatars

So I believe, by the number of erfworld avatars already about, that making erf avatars for this forum is generally acceptable? I would like to make a few quick avatars for ganking and use here, but the forum rules are pretty straitforward:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Using copyrighted artwork as an avatar is technically illegal unless you have the permission of the copyright holder. Even if the art is modified in some way, the original copyright still stands and you can't use it as an avatar. Rich Burlew has specifically requested that people NOT use his OOTS art as avatar image, other than those he has specifically provided as the default message board avatars. If you want an OOTS-style avatar, there are many burgeoning avatar artists hanging around the Arts and Crafts forum who might make one for you.

Any avatar image that is found to be used without the permission of the copyright holder will be removed. If the creator of an avatar personally approaches the GITP staff and claims that their creation is being used without permission by another poster--as might be the case if they requested credit for the avatar and then were denied such--the Moderators will remove the avatar immediately. The first instance of this will incur a Warning, but should the member reinstate his or her violating avatar or create another avatar that also violates the rules, he or she will be issued an Infraction.

So, given that, could I have the official "okay" to make a few avatars for use here?

Edit: Okay, now that I have assuaged my fears that I am doing something wrong on with the avatars. Feel free to use these as you will, though if you are taking these offsite, you may want to let me know (These are jpg format, with the GitP background colour, so they'll look weird anywhere else, including within this post, I imagine. Proper attribution (i.e. to Erfworld) off-forum would be welcome required as well. Also if you use these, please use your own image host. Thank you.

Requests taken. I'll have some standard formats that I'll set up. I probably don't want to take any requests that end up too time intensive. I don't want this to become a chore

All art here copyright Rob Balder and Jamie Noguchi.

Dragon buttons (image size 120x100, jpg format 10kb or less)
    Last edited by spotmarkedx; 2007-06-25 at 02:30 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Default Re: Gankable Avatars

Quote Originally Posted by spotmarkedx View Post
    So I believe, by the number of erfworld avatars already about, that making erf avatars for this forum is generally acceptable? I would like to make a few quick avatars for ganking and use here, but the forum rules are pretty straitforward:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Using copyrighted artwork as an avatar is technically illegal unless you have the permission of the copyright holder. Even if the art is modified in some way, the original copyright still stands and you can't use it as an avatar. Rich Burlew has specifically requested that people NOT use his OOTS art as avatar image, other than those he has specifically provided as the default message board avatars. If you want an OOTS-style avatar, there are many burgeoning avatar artists hanging around the Arts and Crafts forum who might make one for you.

Any avatar image that is found to be used without the permission of the copyright holder will be removed. If the creator of an avatar personally approaches the GITP staff and claims that their creation is being used without permission by another poster--as might be the case if they requested credit for the avatar and then were denied such--the Moderators will remove the avatar immediately. The first instance of this will incur a Warning, but should the member reinstate his or her violating avatar or create another avatar that also violates the rules, he or she will be issued an Infraction.

So, given that, could I have the official "okay" to make a few avatars for use here?
    Rob and Jamie have a different policy for Erfworld. From the blowups thread:

Quote Originally Posted by pclips View Post
    You may feel free to distribute and alter these images for noncommercial purposes, if you attribute the source.
    (While the statement specifically refers to the images linked to the blowup post, the Creative Commons license on the work generally (see the icons to the lower left of the first panel) indicates the same to be true of other frames -- the basic ground rules are that your use has to 1)properly attribute Rob and Jamie as the creators, 2)be noncommercial and 3)be made available to others on at least the same terms Rob and Jamie made the source available to you.)

I trust Rob and Jamie will correct anything I may have misinterpreted above.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Also, see our sigs for links to our Erfworld avatar galleries.
    My avatar is a remix that I made of Prince Ansom. Resource credit:
    Spoiler
    Show

Snag some Erfworld avatars and backgrounds, make some lolerfs and motivators (or demotivators), read my Erfworld fanmix, or check out my latest spotlight on an under-discussed webcomic: Head Trip (Scilight #13)!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cool. I'll edit up my original post to make them easier to find.

Mostly doing this because I really enjoy this comic and I like playing with avatars.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by spotmarkedx View Post
    Requests taken.
    Now that the convention I helped run and my wedding have been pulled off successfully, I'll be taking requests as well (though it might we a few days before I get around to any of them ).

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
    the convention I helped run and my wedding have been pulled off successfully
    Congratulations!
    My avatar is a remix that I made of Prince Ansom. Resource credit:
    Spoiler
    Show

Snag some Erfworld avatars and backgrounds, make some lolerfs and motivators (or demotivators), read my Erfworld fanmix, or check out my latest spotlight on an under-discussed webcomic: Head Trip (Scilight #13)!