New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Default Dismissing Spells Instantly

Someone recently pointed out that Vile Death is dismissible, and that that fact can be used to ensure the obedience of your Fiendish Undead. There is (at least) one problem with this plan, though: if your "minions" can surprise and kill you before you can dismiss the spells on them, they'll get to keep their corpse-puppets.

I need a way to A: dismiss my Vile Death spells that are on any number of my minions instantly and B: make them suffer for their disobedience.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by ATHATH; 2016-05-09 at 02:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Dismissing Spells Instantly

Celerity + Foresight or Contingency.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Celerity + Foresight or Contingency.
    That will only dismiss one spell (dismissing a spell is a Standard action, right?), though, unless you use enough shenanigans with it (which I don't want to do).
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    "No" means "yes".
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ATHATH View Post
    That will only dismiss one spell (dismissing a spell is a Standard action, right?), though, unless you use enough shenanigans with it (which I don't want to do).
    Add in a Timestop
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Craft Contigent Spell (the feat). Put a Contingent Dispel Magic (trigger: You say the code phrase, or someone tries to remove it) on each minion. You auto-succeed in dispelling your own spells, so you can put it at the minimum CL.

Would cost 1500 gp per minion - less, if you utilize tricks to lower Dispel's level.
    Last edited by icefractal; 2016-05-09 at 04:41 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Craft Contigent Spell (the feat). Put a Contingent Dispel Magic (trigger: You say the code phrase, or someone tries to remove it) on each minion. You auto-succeed in dispelling your own spells, so you can put it at the minimum CL.

Would cost 1500 gp per minion - less, if you utilize tricks to lower Dispel's level.
    Ooh, that's clever.

You'd probably use Dispelling Touch rather than Dispel Magic, though, since it's lower level. EDIT: Although in that case, to be sure, you'd have to also set the contingency to trigger if any non-instantaneous spell of a higher caster level is cast on the minion, since Dispelling Touch only gets the highest-CL spell on the target.
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2016-05-09 at 04:53 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post

Ah, see, this is what I was looking for. Thanks.
    "No" means "yes".