New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Could Asmodeus and Nyarlathotep be the same individual?

Impossible, right? One is LE and the other is CE, but could it be the case? Vigilantes can have multiple alignments, so why can't some of the oldest and most powerful entities?

The only real thing I can lean upon is that one or more of his forms lines up with depictions of the devil. The Black Man being the one to point to. But thats within the works of lovecraft, not Pathfinder.

So I ask the following;

Could they be be the same entity?
    If so, how do you think this would manifest? How did it begin?
    If not, why? Could they have some other connection?

While I posted this elsewhere first, the seed that developed into this idea was on these forums and I want to see the thoughts of two separate forums in this one.

Also, thanks to this post for getting me thinking about this in the first place.
    Extended Signature

Guide to becoming a demon in Pathfinder

Special thanks to Gurgleflep for creating my Avatar

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Could Asmodeus and Nyarlathotep be the same individual?

If it seems like it's going to be fun to play out, go for it. It's your campaign, so Nyarlahotep can be Colonel Sanders if you like. In one of my campaigns, Asmodeus was behind the myth of Saint Prick, who journeyed once a year to the rulers of several of the outer planes to bring them presents and secretly lay the groundwork for a later betrayal/invasion of those realms once they'd been lulled into a false sense of complacency by regularly receiving generous tribute without having to demand it. The sky's the limit.

It seems to me that Nyarlahotep and Asmodeus are both entities who play the long game, patiently building to long term goals. In his first appearance, the original Lovecraft short story, Nyarlahotep travels the world in human form slowly gathering an army of sinister recruits, and that's something Azzy could also do, although one tends to think that lords of hell might be inclined to send minions to do that for them. They could certainly be the same entity building two different power bases for itself, and if I were putting together a campaign like that my first impulse would be to present them both as campaign antagonists and hint to the characters that they might be able to play one against the other before they eventually have the holy crap moment of the big reveal. Maybe one of them got the drop on the other with some sort of mcguffin and imprisoned them to take their place, giving opportunity to derail the plot with their release. Or maybe even the mind of a lord of hell is capable of fracturing in the face of the unspeakable and indescribable elder things Lovecraft was fond of insinuating, and he grew a split personality when confronted with something even more horrible than himself. He could even be working against his own best interests without realizing it. I say go for it. Devils are excellent antagonists to begin with, and I like indescribably awful Lovecraftian things even better, so I can't see any down side to stirring a bit of both in the same campaign bowl and serving it up. Have fun!
    Never believe a wizard is dead until you have personally seen him killed at least twice.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Besides the mechanical limitations of the Vigilante class, there's the issue of planar outsiders being made of alignment-charged stuff. The mere tendency towards order that would form around Nyalartothep if Asmodeus was the one behind the mask, or the reality-warping that would form around Asmodeus's throne in Hell if the devil was the mask would clearly tip off the whole situation. And then, we can all guess that Asmodeus is too pragmatical to make the suboptimal choice of taking a class outside of a fullcaster progression.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't know. I could see either of them finding ways to suppress those effects, and it wouldn't be an unreasonable take on Asmodeus to think he'd be playing both sides of the board if for no other reason than to have more pawns to move into place. Although I can see no easy justification for Nyarlathotep being the 'original', just a guise by Asmy.

Although I wonder whether I'll ever make an Asmodeus-related post that doesn't involve chess somehow...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tuvarkz View Post
    Besides the mechanical limitations of the Vigilante class, there's the issue of planar outsiders being made of alignment-charged stuff...
    I have been summoned to this thread!
    Okay, so, while what I have to say isn't strictly Pathfinder, I do feel that I should point out the fact that outsiders can in theory change alignment, such as with fallen celestials in the like. And it can happen on a deity-level scale. I'm pretty sure Xuldarinar knows about Pelor the Burning Hate, but I'll provide a link anyway if anyone here doesn't. This's probably the best example I can ever give.

Okay... I can't find the link that I want, but luckily I strangely copied and pasted this newsletter thing from the Wizards forums where I originally found it!

Spoiler
    Show
    Subj: [PLANESCAPE] - a new Abyssal Lord
    Date: 98-05-04 13:41:23 EDT
    Sender: [email protected]
    Reply-to: [email protected]
    To: [email protected]

Here you Go folks a new, evil Tanar'ri (Demon) Lord

PELOR
    Climate:Gray Waste
    Frequency:Unique
    Organization:Planar Ruler
    Activity Cycle:Any
    Diet:Carnivore"souls"
    Intelligence:SupraGenius"21"
    Treasure:U,Z,W,X
    Alignement:Chaotic-Evil
    Armor Class:-11
    Movement:14
    Hit Dice:47 HP:277
    Thaco: 3
    # of Att: 4
    Dam:1d10+6 1d10+6
    Special Att:Spells / summon Tanar'ri(demons)
    Special Def:Immunities of Tanar'ri
    Magic Resistance:70%
    Size: 9' tall
    Morale: Fearless(19)
    XP Value: 48 000

Pelor a Tanar'ri Abyssal Lord whom in the past once served under the great Queen of the Abyss Lilith over a millenia ago before the Blood War had ever started in the Lower Planes. Pelor was the Bringer of Light for his Queen, until the day he rebeled against her and her rule. Pelor was the first Tanar'ri to escape the Abyssal realm of Lilith. Pelor had decided to flee to the Gray Waste where Pelor easily founded his own Planar realm and had begun to put into the effect his diabolical shemes of damnation, chaos, and destruction upon the multiverse.

However over the years the Abyssal lord Pelor has spent dwelling within the Gray Waste, has had a effect upon his nature. In fact the very Nature of the Abyssal Lord Pelor has changed and is still in a state of flux, as the Abyssal Lord Pelor strives to achieve his higher form of being. Pelor appears as a ageless male planar tainted human with a golden crown of sunstones upon his head. His eyes, teeth, and nails however are clearly demonic in appearence and nature so Pelor still has signs of his Tanar'ri nature.

Combat: Pelor is a serious combatant whom enjoys using physical strength and spells to humiliate first then destroy in the bloodiest of fashions. He is a ambi-dextrous Grand Master in the Long Swords. He has two inteligent artifact long Swords. The Left handed Sword is Uggrazz, capable of inflicting wounds that can not be closed except by a heal, only when they strike a Lawful Good mortal. In his Right Hand is the Loyal Sword SwaD'Wi. This Sword can emit a ray of painful light 10 times a day, for 27 points of Dammage save for half against Death Magic.

Plots and Goals: He has realised the power of belief from mortal so the Abyssal Lord Pelor enjoys creating Cults, and false Faiths in his name upon the prime Worlds he enjoys to visits. To do this he Travels to a desired prime World in the Guise of a kind Priest of Pelor. Using his Crown of Sunstones that acts as a amulet of non-dectection only upon a prime plane. In this Guise He uses his lay on hands 10 times a day to heal 27 points of Dammage. Also he can do minor creation, improved phantasmal force and major creation at will while in this role. All this he does so he can make his Priestly Guise and the Faith of Pelor more Believalbe to the clueless of the prime world he visits. His false faith he has decided is one where Pelor is a Greater God of Healing and protection.

Followers and ressources: Pelor can Gate 1-4 Unique Balors(50% chance) whom appear as Solars, with flaming wings but have a subltle hint of their Tanar'ri taint visible in some part of their body if one looks hard enough. Pelor can use Items allowable to fighters, priests, and mages. The Bringer of Light Pelor has many designs upon many primes and patiently waits for them to mature for the day he can unleash Hellfire and Damnation.

He has a long estasblished False faith upon Oerth, a couple small cults on Toril and Mystara, whom are growing at amusing rate. All of this is part of his scheme only he can see . He also has designs of starting his false faith upon the planes starting in Sigil but thus far has had only a very small success in this goal, thank in large part to a mortal proxy Scion of his he has sent to sigil to spread the Faith of Pelor!

Well there you go folks, what did you think? flames comments--------Roland "Proxy Scion Herald of the Abyssal "Demon" Lord Pelor!"
    Last edited by inuyasha; 2016-05-17 at 05:53 PM.
    Come post a magic item to show that not all unique items are immensely powerful tools of the gods!
    Jester of The Rudisplorkers Guild!!

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    ..What have I done..? What have you done? That poor lantern archon..

trophies
    The photo got removed, but I'm a silver trophy winner of Pathfinder Grab Bag XII: of Dungeons and Dragons

6. - Top - End - #6
    Spamalot in the Playground

...I guess? Anything could be. The better question is would that be interesting. If they were the same person, what would it imply? What would that change about either of them, or about the setting as a whole? Do their worshipers know (or care?) Do the other gods? If yes, why then are the two gods considered to be separate? If no, how do you think others would/should react?

Asmodeus' main job in Golarion, aside from furthering his own aspirations to bring the universe to heel, is keeping custody of the lock and key to Rovagug's prison. If he's Nyaralothep, what if anything would change about that?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...I guess? Anything could be. The better question is would that be interesting. If they were the same person, what would it imply? What would that change about either of them, or about the setting as a whole? Do their worshipers know (or care?) Do the other gods? If yes, why then are the two gods considered to be separate? If no, how do you think others would/should react?

Asmodeus' main job in Golarion, aside from furthering his own aspirations to bring the universe to heel, is keeping custody of the lock and key to Rovagug's prison. If he's Nyaralothep, what if anything would change about that?
    If anything having them be different people is more amusing. Nothing quite like two very powerful, very clever, very patient beings trying to outchess one another, getting all tangled up in each other's schemes and manipulations where every move forward moves the other in one of the tenteen cardinal directions
    Handbook in Process:Getting the Facts Straight: A Guide to the Factotum

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Singular Band: There can be only one
    Khayal: A monster class worth playing

Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    Player: I'll use a classic ploy. "Help! Guards! He's having a seizure!"
    DM: You're the only one in the prison.
    Player: I'm very convincing.
    DM: And there are no guards.
    Player: But there's masonry.
    DM: It's not even animate, let alone sentient.
    Player: That's ok. I'll take the penalty.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

If Asmodeus were to be a face of Nyarlathotep;

I think most of the gods would be shocked at the knowledge. Both hold trickery as a domain, its possible even Asmodeus's lieutenants are unaware. As for why they are considered separate, most of Nyarlathotep's names and faces offer varying domains, but all known hold the same alignment. Its possible this isn't the case for all of them, one going to far as to being LE. Who knows though? Maybe other well known or obscure deities/demigods are also faces of his.

Nyarlathotep could be saving the key to Rovagug's prison until the stars are aligned, or maybe to serve as a deterrent. Or maybe his reasons are incomprehensible, or at least silly to our standards, who can say? It would be quite the weapon to have in one's court, in or out of the cage.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I highly doubt that Asmodeus and Nyarlathotep be the same entity. I haven't read the Lovecraft books yet. So I have to dabble with a bit when I the chance. Also Nyarlathotep isn't a D&D character.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I highly doubt that Asmodeus and Nyarlathotep be the same entity. I haven't read the Lovecraft books yet. So I have to dabble with a bit when I the chance. Also Nyarlathotep isn't a D&D character.
    ....But both exist in the Pathfinder setting, and one arguably is the other in Lovecraft's works.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

....But both exist in the Pathfinder setting, and one arguably is the other in Lovecraft's works.
    How is that possible? Am I missing something here?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

How is that possible? Am I missing something here?
    Which?

On the first one; They both simply are in the setting.
    On the second one; Nyarlathotep has countless forms. One of which being basically the devil (Look up 'The Dreams in the Witch House'.)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Which?

On the first one; They both simply are in the setting.
    On the second one; Nyarlathotep has countless forms. One of which being basically the devil (Look up 'The Dreams in the Witch House'.)
    Both actually.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Both actually.
    Well, I hope my answer was enough.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Well, I hope my answer was enough.
    It was good enough. Thanks.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Spamalot in the Playground

Both hold trickery as a domain, its possible even Asmodeus's lieutenants are unaware.
    But multiple gods hold Knowledge as a domain too. Pharasma in particular is just about impossible to fool, even if she'd prefer to do nothing with the information. This strikes me as an unstoppable force/immovable object problem.

Nyarlathotep could be saving the key to Rovagug's prison until the stars are aligned, or maybe to serve as a deterrent. Or maybe his reasons are incomprehensible, or at least silly to our standards, who can say? It would be quite the weapon to have in one's court, in or out of the cage.
    If their motives are incomprehensible - which appears to be a hallmark of Lovecraft - then what point is there in speculating about them? If you asked him "hey, I think you're Asmodeus, what do you plan on doing with that key?" and the answer is "purple potato" then nothing valuable is gained.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

But multiple gods hold Knowledge as a domain too. Pharasma in particular is just about impossible to fool, even if she'd prefer to do nothing with the information. This strikes me as an unstoppable force/immovable object problem.

If their motives are incomprehensible - which appears to be a hallmark of Lovecraft - then what point is there in speculating about them? If you asked him "hey, I think you're Asmodeus, what do you plan on doing with that key?" and the answer is "purple potato" then nothing valuable is gained.
    Granted, on both points. To the latter one though; Unless I am mistaken, another hallmark of Lovecraft is our insignificance and the futility of our actions. Nothing valuable may be gained, as far as we are concerned, but at least we are keeping to theme. Though.. I think the follow up would be insanity, death, something worse, or a combination of the seven.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground

If Asmodeus were to be a face of Nyarlathotep;
    I think most of the gods would be shocked at the knowledge.
    Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath- earth's gods are described as "childlike" compared to high-end Mythos entities. Lord only knows how they stack up against D&D deities, though.

As for motive- Nyarlat is unique in that he's both free and ambivalent about his "masters". It makes a fun thought, him setting up a nice, solid base of predictable, reliable, controllable minions just to have something of his own, his own little ship in a bottle, something that's not "flit here and carry word of our continuing slumber to another crap cult in Greenland"

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath- earth's gods are described as "childlike" compared to high-end Mythos entities. Lord only knows how they stack up against D&D deities, though.

As for motive- Nyarlat is unique in that he's both free and ambivalent about his "masters". It makes a fun thought, him setting up a nice, solid base of predictable, reliable, controllable minions just to have something of his own, his own little ship in a bottle, something that's not "flit here and carry word of our continuing slumber to another crap cult in Greenland"
    You know, not long ago I actually had an idea for a theory a character could have.. or the basis of a setting;

There is only one deity; Nyarlathotep. The planes are but a stage to him, and he plays the parts of every deity. What he does and why is anyone's guess, but ultimately perhaps it is simply for to his amusement.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Colossus in the Playground

We could ask Red Fel, but I'm not sure he knows them, personally. I mean, I never see him with either of the other two at the same time...

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    We could ask Red Fel, but I'm not sure he knows them, personally. I mean, I never see him with either of the other two at the same time...

Maybe Red Fel is Nyarlathotep then?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe Red Fel is Nyarlathotep then?
    Do I look like I play poker alone?
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    You're never alone if you have Dissociative Identity Disorder.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla View Post
    You're never alone if you have Dissociative Identity Disorder.
    or you are long term gitp regular I thing our madness has medicinal powers

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Isn't bluffing a bit chaotic for your tastes? I didn't think you played poker at all.

But if you did, of course you'd play it with only yourself. After all, since when do you play games you haven't already guaranteed you'll win?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground

Xuldinar you've been calling on great powers, inquiring into strange and terrible mysteries... I advise you to turn back now or else release the notes for the Far Realm Pathfinder campaign you're working on.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Toilet Cobra View Post
    Xuldinar you've been calling on great powers, inquiring into strange and terrible mysteries... I advise you to turn back now or else release the notes for the Far Realm Pathfinder campaign you're working on.
    While not exactly working on... You said Far Realm, and asked for it.

Spoiler: Notes
    Show

Unfinished brews, predominantly. Its all the notes I have actually written/typed somewhere.

Note 1
    Note 2
    Note 3
    Note 4

28. - Top - End - #28

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    Isn't bluffing a bit chaotic for your tastes? I didn't think you played poker at all.

But if you did, of course you'd play it with only yourself. After all, since when do you play games you haven't already guaranteed you'll win?
    On the other hand, that'd mean he was guaranteeing that he'd lose, too...
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground

While not exactly working on... You said Far Realm, and asked for it.

Spoiler: Notes
    Show

Unfinished brews, predominantly. Its all the notes I have actually written/typed somewhere.

Note 1
    Note 2
    Note 3
    Note 4
    Now that's what I'm talkin' bout. Looks like some good reading ahead.

30. - Top - End - #30