New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323348 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: Aegis J Hyena's Super Hyena Fun Show: Random Banter Thread #215

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    I have access to BIOS on my Windows 10 computer, and I didn't need to do anything to unlock it either...
    This. I don't know how Windows 10 has anything to do with BIOS whatsoever.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

2. - Top - End - #662
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    I hate the interface.

I hate the marketing tactics.

I hate that you don't have access to BIOS for "security reasons" and a slew of other things.

I hate a lot of things about windows 10. If they make it worthwhile I'll have no problem buying it, but I don't want to touch it with a 10 foot pole until that time (if it even happens).
    The interface is fairly customizable, and you can make it reasonably close to 7 or 8 if you put in a little effort, but it's not exactly the same, I suppose.

That isn't the OS. That's like saying you hate Starbucks because of the names of their drinks. (Leaving aside entirely that Microsoft has a slew of good reasons - and non-malicious ones - to be as pushy as they were in trying to get people to upgrade, how they tried to get you to use 10 doesn't say anything at all about 10's quality as an operating system)

Yeah, your BIOS is pretty well divorced from your OS. If you can't access your BIOS, that's an issue with whoever makes your motherboard, not Microsoft - Windows 10 certainly has nothing to do with it.

As I said earlier - it tops both 7 and 8 in terms of security and supported software. Driver issues have been largely sorted out, and tracking (which was present in 8, by the way) can be easily turned off at install. The only thing that's possibly worse about 10 compared to 8 is the interface - if you're using a tablet or a windows phone - and even that's arguable. The change in interface from 7 is tiny - I barely noticed it.
    A few odds and ends.

3. - Top - End - #663
    Troll in the Playground

Thank heavens I use a mac

Major con hangover is happening right now...
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

4. - Top - End - #664
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post

Major con hangover is happening right now...
    Good luck with your conover Finn!

5. - Top - End - #665
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    Mac? Really?
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

6. - Top - End - #666
    Barbarian in the Playground

So, of the seven people who signed on for the D&D game I'm running in about two hours...

One has dropped due to "personal emergency".
    One has dropped due to being a no-show and not a peep all week. Probably forgot Roll20 exists.
    One has dropped due to "other commitments" which to me seems so out of character for him that it might as well be a "I'm not feeling it". (ok, maybe I'm taking it out of context. He at least was nice enough to say so to me)

People, if you say you're going to be at a game, honor your commitments! Nothing pushes my buttons more than saying you're going to be here and then decide "eh, whatever".

In other gaming news... Tailiu, we stand a very good chance of losing Grod. His work just shafted him, schedulewise, in a "what shouldn't have happened, happened anyway because F**k You." I'm looking for my backups as-is and we DO have a newcomer next week anyway, so.

EDIT two hours later: Gametime. Not a single person showed. Seven people. Seven. We had a BLAST rolling characters last week. Everyone was looking forward to it. What. The. F**k. I am disappointed in these people. I was up until four AM populating the first couple of dungeons...
    Last edited by Aegis J Hyena; 2016-07-31 at 01:05 PM.

7. - Top - End - #667

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Mac? Really?
    I have a Mac and a Windows PC on this desk, side by side. The Mac is a joy to use in comparison to Windows. I find myself using it far more often than my Windows computer. Given the choice, I'll just naturally gravitate towards it.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

8. - Top - End - #668
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    I have a Mac and a Windows PC on this desk, side by side. The Mac is a joy to use in comparison to Windows. I find myself using it far more often than my Windows computer. Given the choice, I'll just naturally gravitate towards it.
    Because, obviously, when I click a red "X" on the top-right corner of a window, I want to minimize it{.} Who cares that the downloading of things from anywhere not officially approved by Apple is forbidden and impossible{?}

BTW, you struck me as a Linux kind of person.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

9. - Top - End - #669
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    The interface is fairly customizable, and you can make it reasonably close to 7 or 8 if you put in a little effort, but it's not exactly the same, I suppose.

That isn't the OS. That's like saying you hate Starbucks because of the names of their drinks. (Leaving aside entirely that Microsoft has a slew of good reasons - and non-malicious ones - to be as pushy as they were in trying to get people to upgrade, how they tried to get you to use 10 doesn't say anything at all about 10's quality as an operating system)

Yeah, your BIOS is pretty well divorced from your OS. If you can't access your BIOS, that's an issue with whoever makes your motherboard, not Microsoft - Windows 10 certainly has nothing to do with it.

As I said earlier - it tops both 7 and 8 in terms of security and supported software. Driver issues have been largely sorted out, and tracking (which was present in 8, by the way) can be easily turned off at install. The only thing that's possibly worse about 10 compared to 8 is the interface - if you're using a tablet or a windows phone - and even that's arguable. The change in interface from 7 is tiny - I barely noticed it.
    I'd rather they had updated the security on 7 than given me tiles on 10. I didn't like 8 either. I know there's probably software to fix this, but windows 7 has worked for me for years. I do not need windows 10 and I do not want it. It's like the jump from 3.5 to 4e in D&D for me. 3.5 had issues but it worked for me. I didn't need 4e.
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

10. - Top - End - #670
    Titan in the Playground

This. I don't know how Windows 10 has anything to do with BIOS whatsoever.
    Well, I know for sure that Windows 10 can stop me from accessing BIOS under certain rather mysifying conditions, most of which are caused by putting it into hibernation. I've always been able to resolve this by doing a proper 'shutdown for accessing BIOS' shutdown. This problem has ceased to be an issue, though, as my playing around with automatic wakeups caused my computer to go into a 100% BIOS-able hibernation when woken up from sleep. It's black magic, but it's black magic which benefits me, so I'm fine with it.

I'd rather they had updated the security on 7 than given me tiles on 10. I didn't like 8 either. I know there's probably software to fix this, but windows 7 has worked for me for years. I do not need windows 10 and I do not want it. It's like the jump from 3.5 to 4e in D&D for me. 3.5 had issues but it worked for me. I didn't need 4e.
    That's Windows 8. I'm not even sure if tiles exist in any way resembling Windows 8 in Windows 10, and I've used Windows 10 from day zero.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

11. - Top - End - #671
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    That's Windows 8. I'm not even sure if tiles exist in any way resembling Windows 8 in Windows 10, and I've used Windows 10 from day zero.
    Spoiler
    Show

What's all this then?

12. - Top - End - #672
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

What's all this then?
    You realize you can remove those, right? Left click the ones you don't want, select "unpin from start", and they'll go away. You can get yourself down to a Win7-style start menu with, tops, 5 minutes of clicking.
    A few odds and ends.

13. - Top - End - #673
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

What's all this then?
    Ah, the Start menu? You can grab the right edge of it and pull it to the left, and the Tiles part of it will disappear. And that setting sticks, you won't have to see them ever again unless you desire to. I hadn't seen them for almost a full year now.

Show

14. - Top - End - #674
    Troll in the Playground

That reminds me, our university has seemed to update to 10 this summer. I am so confused. Everything seems to be a thousand clicks away... And no, we can't change the defaults, or if we do, we'd have to sign in with the same computer with our own accounts so that the settings remain what you changed them into... I honestly managed well with Windows 7, it felt at least somewhat linear and easy to learn, but for example how "vital" applications are placed is utterly illogical from a student's perspective.

I don't mind the change otherwise, really, as I only use the school computers when I need to print something or we've got group work to cover. But now it feels like even those simple tasks will be a punch in the glutes. and really, I spent a good time printing out pictures of Fabio for my friend for the sake of lulz just the other week... important work, I say. IMPORTANT!

Eh.
    Last edited by FinnLassie; 2016-07-31 at 06:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

15. - Top - End - #675
    Troll in the Playground

You realize you can remove those, right? Left click the ones you don't want, select "unpin from start", and they'll go away. You can get yourself down to a Win7-style start menu with, tops, 5 minutes of clicking.
    I have one currently. With 0 minutes of clicking. I also hate the aesthetics of just what I saw from that screenshot. Lastly, I seriously doubt that turning off data sharing will stop all info from being sent to Microsoft.

EDIT: I'm not sure if it's possible to derail this thread, but I feel like I'm derailing this thread so I'll stop here.
    Last edited by gooddragon1; 2016-07-31 at 06:30 PM.

16. - Top - End - #676
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aegis J Hyena View Post
    Or worse decided they didn't want to drop in. If Hans had decided to stay, he would have been 5 people, and I would have run with it. I hope Tom's hand heals.
    Yeah. Should we PM them and ask if they still want in?
    On the plus side we got a replacement for Nuriel (who has signed on as cleric with a Healing domain, at that). He's across the pond too but I think his schedule is more forgiving.
    But the Healing Domain sucks!
    In other gaming news... Tailiu, we stand a very good chance of losing Grod. His work just shafted him, schedulewise, in a "what shouldn't have happened, happened anyway because F**k You." I'm looking for my backups as-is and we DO have a newcomer next week anyway, so.
    Ah. There goes our muscle wizard, then.

I'm surprised you're so eager to recruit, actually. I thought you said large groups were harder to run.
    EDIT two hours later: Gametime. Not a single person showed. Seven people. Seven. We had a BLAST rolling characters last week. Everyone was looking forward to it. What. The. F**k. I am disappointed in these people. I was up until four AM populating the first couple of dungeons...
    Ugh. Sorry to hear that, Aegis. Send them all private messages and ask why?
    Lastly, I seriously doubt that turning off data sharing will stop all info from being sent to Microsoft.
    Yeah, that's my major worry about the OS. I can't resist, though. The operating system has some major eye candy.

17. - Top - End - #677

Because, obviously, when I click a red "X" on the top-right corner of a window, I want to minimize it{.} Who cares that the downloading of things from anywhere not officially approved by Apple is forbidden and impossible{?}
    Err, what?

The red circle with an X closes the window. The yellow circle with a dash minimises it. The green circle with two arrows expands it.

There are three tiers of software installations, none of which are forbidden or impossible. 1) From the App Store. Automatic. 2) Signed by an Apple approved developer but released outside the App Store. A prompt will ask you if you want to proceed. 3) Completely unsigned. By default, these will be blocked when you try to install with a casual double click, but you can easily bypass that as a once off (recommended), or disable Gatekeeper permanently (not recommended).

18. - Top - End - #678

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    Yeah. Should we PM them and ask if they still want in?

But the Healing Domain sucks!

Ah. There goes our muscle wizard, then.

I'm surprised you're so eager to recruit, actually. I thought you said large groups were harder to run.
    Nah, I'll give them a pass, everyone gets one second chance. If things fail a second time in a row, I'm kicking the group and recruiting from scratch.

You do kinda need a healer, what with such a big group.

Harder to run only in the length of time it takes for things to happen. Once the ball gets rolling though...

Is there a way to see someone's "currently being run" games? I applied for a weekday game but the guy has yet to reply to me to give me an invite and I want to join his game but I forgot the name of it.

19. - Top - End - #679
    Titan in the Playground

Err, what?

The red circle with an X closes the window. The yellow circle with a dash minimises it. The green circle with two arrows expands it.
    But closing the window is distinct from closing the program, which can be confusing to those used to Windows or Windows-like environments.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

20. - Top - End - #680

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    But closing the window is distinct from closing the program, which can be confusing to those used to Windows or Windows-like environments.
    Windows operates exactly the same way.

21. - Top - End - #681
    Titan in the Playground

Err, what?

Enderlord99's being sarcastic. You can tell because of the brackets surrounding his period.
    Nah, I'll give them a pass, everyone gets one second chance. If things fail a second time in a row, I'm kicking the group and recruiting from scratch.
    Yes, but did they know that it was Friday? Maybe they never read the threads or something.
    You do kinda need a healer, what with such a big group.
    I find that 3.5 doesn't do healers all that well, I fear. It's easier and more effective to prevent damage than to heal it.
    Harder to run only in the length of time it takes for things to happen. Once the ball gets rolling though...
    The ball'll still be slowed by how many we are, though, no?

More players will, for various reasons, mean more work for you. It is your game, though.
    Is there a way to see someone's "currently being run" games? I applied for a weekday game but the guy has yet to reply to me to give me an invite and I want to join his game but I forgot the name of it.
    I don't know - I'm less proficient in roll20 than you are!

22. - Top - End - #682

Enderlord99's being sarcastic. You can tell because of the brackets surrounding his period.
    I could tell, but from the words not the brackets. I interpret that as he thinks that is how it operates and is sarcastically saying he likes it that way. It doesn't operate that way.

23. - Top - End - #683
    Ettin in the Playground

Windows operates exactly the same way.
    Really? I could have sworn closing the (last) window of a program via that method causes the program itself to also close... but only for Windows, not Mac.
    That's correct. I think Rawhide already knew, though.
    EDIT: He did, indeed, already know.

I didn't realize it was possible to download tier-3 things onto an Apple brand product without jailbreaking (or whatever the term is.)

I could tell, but from the words not the brackets.
    Are you magic?
    I interpret that as he thinks that is how it operates and is sarcastically saying he likes it that way.
    Correct. I only thought it operated stupidly because it's what I was taught in Elementary School.

...Come to think of it, maybe it was the school that banned tier-3 stuff, and not Apple itself.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2016-07-31 at 08:38 PM.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

24. - Top - End - #684

Yes, but did they know that it was Friday? Maybe they never read the threads or something.

I find that 3.5 doesn't do healers all that well, I fear. It's easier and more effective to prevent damage than to heal it.

The ball'll still be slowed by how many we are, though, no?

More players will, for various reasons, mean more work for you. It is your game, though.

I don't know - I'm less proficient in roll20 than you are!
    I'm pretty sure they did...

Then focus on preventing damage. Heavy armor for everyone later? :P

I doubt it. once the storyline really gets going people will stay focused.

We'll see if next weekend is an exercise in fruitlessness. I'd think that if they were wondering WTF was going on I would have already heard about it either over steam, skype, or forums. I haven't heard a thing.

25. - Top - End - #685
    Titan in the Playground

Really? I could have sworn closing the (last) window of a program via that method causes the program itself to also close... but only for Windows, not Mac.
    It depends on the application. Closing, say, all your Firefox windows also closes the application, assuming things are working correctly (sometimes it closes the windows but not the application, and you have to do it through task manager to restart). Some applications will close all the interfaces but keep a version of themselves idling in the background even after you've closed all the windows, to speed up relaunching, and to kill it altogether you have to track that down and eliminate it.

With some applications, like Skype, the red cross minimises the window rather than closing it, and you have to use a different menu option to close the program. Some others, when you press the corner x, will close all the visible windows but keep running at full capacity, like torrent clients and a lot of updater or antivirus software, only indicating their presence by an (often hidden) icon in the toolbar. And some, possibly the majority of, applications never show up on the Windows desktop at all and even to find out they're running you have to go looking for them.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

26. - Top - End - #686

It's up to the program what to do once the last window has closed. In general, I have found that more Windows programs decide to quit entirely, while more Mac programs stay open. But (as already mentioned) that's program dependant, not OS dependant.

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    It depends on the application. Closing, say, all your Firefox windows also closes the application, assuming things are working correctly (sometimes it closes the windows but not the application, and you have to do it through task manager to restart). Some applications will close all the interfaces but keep a version of themselves idling in the background even after you've closed all the windows, to speed up relaunching, and to kill it altogether you have to track that down and eliminate it.

With some applications, like Skype, the red cross minimises the window rather than closing it, and you have to use a different menu option to close the program. Some others, when you press the corner x, will close all the visible windows but keep running at full capacity, like torrent clients and a lot of updater or antivirus software, only indicating their presence by an (often hidden) icon in the toolbar. And some, possibly the majority of, applications never show up on the Windows desktop at all and even to find out they're running you have to go looking for them.
    This.

27. - Top - End - #687

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler
    Show

What's all this then?
    A vision of utter horror and disgust.

Thank Granas.

Granted, I'm almost to the point of just learning how to Linux and use terminal commands to open whatever program I want to use like my more grognardly friends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

28. - Top - End - #688

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    With some applications, like Skype, the red cross minimises the window rather than closing it, and you have to use a different menu option to close the program.
    Yeah, that annoys me immensely, but I kind of see why they did it--because they have a permanent app tray icon while the application is running, they had two choices: they could make minimise just minimise to the app tray icon, but then people would be asking where their mimimised app went, or they could do what they did. I suppose a third option would be to add a fourth button to the minimise/maximise/close triptych, but that would perforce be non-standard and people would wonder what it was doing there.

29. - Top - End - #689
    Titan in the Playground

I have one currently. With 0 minutes of clicking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Thank Granas.
    I will once again point out that you can get rid of that in 2 seconds and leave no large blank area by shrinking it to the left.

I also hate the aesthetics of just what I saw from that screenshot.
    Unless you're a real hardcore design connoisseur, you'll be surprised how quickly your aesthetics preferences change as soon as you get used to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Granted, I'm almost to the point of just learning how to Linux and use terminal commands to open whatever program I want to use like my more grognardly friends.
    You can do that same thing with the Command Prompt on Windows too, just for your interest.

Show

30. - Top - End - #690
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah... Want to talk about it, you two?

Oh, it does? I didn't know that.

You could always eat the corpses of your family members.
    I'll be alright. I've got people I can talk to.

Yeah. I think the ingredients start to separate out when you put them in the freezer. It's still edible and I think it depends on the kind of chocolate, but it doesn't matter because the fridge does a good enough job preserving chocolate.

Completely unrelated to the topic at hand, I was playing Stellaris yesterday and there's an event that happens when you research a certain technology that causes some of your colonists to alter their genetics to better suit the environment of their colony and in the process change a bunch of their genetic traits for funsies. The results when this happened in my game were not impressive.
    So picture a race of naturally long lived people who are smarter and stronger than the galactic average but they don't do climates that are too hot, cold, dry or humid. Now a subset living on a tropical planet, a bit warm and humid but nothing a good air conditioner can't handle, decided to alter themselves to better withstand the rigours of different climates, but in the process removed ALL the natural advantages previously mentioned making themselves dumber and shorter lived. I don't see them overtaking the base species any time soon...
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!