New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Aegis J Hyena's Super Hyena Fun Show: Random Banter Thread #215

After gruelling months, I finally finished with this today:

2. - Top - End - #902
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cristo Meyers View Post
    I think I'd take making it sound like I'm some sort of secret agent over the cornball training vids my work puts out every year. This year two of them were set up like fake talk shows. I had to watch them without sound to keep from laughing.
    Well, the mental images were very exciting. They were also very remote from anything I expect to work with. Also, it did come with a side dish of paranoia.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Dahl View Post
    I'm a bit confused here: I have a very clear plan how, when and in which order I'm doing the required courses in order to get my bachelor's degree. Now suddenly one of my teachers sends me a personal invitation to join two of her courses (let's call them courses #1 and #2)... I was thinking that it's a copy+paste e-mail, but she actually talked about me in the e-mail and a great bit of flattery was involved :| I told her that I can't join her courses, because "I would like to do them both because they support each other, and I cannot do the other course (#2) because there is a time conflict, meaning that I already have another course (course #3) at the same time".

She sent me a response saying that she will fix the time conflict and she will just put the course #3 to some other time slot But.... the course #3 will be taught by none other than the professor of the department, her boss I can't even.
    Just because they're her boss doesn't mean they won't listen to her, expecially if the numbers of students per course is very small...

Grattis!

ION:
    News since last time: I contracted the flu. Actually, it started Saturday with what felt like the start of a light cold, then grew with an increasingly painful throat soreness up until Wednesday, when all hell broke loose. I do think I avoided the fever, but that's the only positive, but all the symptoms of a common cold were jacked up to 11, and I got constantly dehydrated, which is what made me figure out this probably wasn't just another cold. I'm finally getting rid of it (The return of enegy feels so empowering!), so I'll at last be able to go back to work tomorrow.

My energy batteries are still quite limited, though. I went for a much needed round of grocery shopping, and when I came back I felt so exhausted I didn't want to unpack my groceries. But it's still a humongous improvement over the days when I didn't even find the energy to leave the corridor.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

3. - Top - End - #903
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

4. - Top - End - #904
    Barbarian in the Playground

Blarg. Got lazy and distracted in video games this week and didn't prep for my roll20 game.

Paid for it, too. Next week, lots of prep, as they're coming to the end of Act 1 (of a planned 7)... can't let 'em down...

5. - Top - End - #905
    Troll in the Playground

Well it only took three lessons of boxing to get full on punched in the face. We were playing shoulder tag and me and my partner managed to siege the moment at the same time. The only thing was that her hand went waaay faster than mine... and boom. Hopefully no black eye tomorrow.

Woo, congrats! I got tired with the app since it didn't allow me to start from any other point than the beginning... it got too tedious for me to concentrate.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    ION:
    News since last time: I contracted the flu. Actually, it started Saturday with what felt like the start of a light cold, then grew with an increasingly painful throat soreness up until Wednesday, when all hell broke loose. I do think I avoided the fever, but that's the only positive, but all the symptoms of a common cold were jacked up to 11, and I got constantly dehydrated, which is what made me figure out this probably wasn't just another cold. I'm finally getting rid of it (The return of enegy feels so empowering!), so I'll at last be able to go back to work tomorrow.

My energy batteries are still quite limited, though. I went for a much needed round of grocery shopping, and when I came back I felt so exhausted I didn't want to unpack my groceries. But it's still a humongous improvement over the days when I didn't even find the energy to leave the corridor.
    Gblargh flu. Haven't gotten it yet but I feel like it's looming since I've started to get the sniffles lately... or it might be just the joke.

All the best for your recovery!
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac
    aah yes, alligators
    the most anime of creatures
    ~Extended Signature~

6. - Top - End - #906
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    Well it only took three lessons of boxing to get full on punched in the face. We were playing shoulder tag and me and my partner managed to siege the moment at the same time. The only thing was that her hand went waaay faster than mine... and boom. Hopefully no black eye tomorrow.
    CROSS COUNTER!!

Hope you feel better soon though, and hope you don't get a black eye. That'd suck! Hope your boxing training is going well though.

7. - Top - End - #907
    Troll in the Playground

Duolingo lets me skip ahead when I start learning a language... maybe the app is different?
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

8. - Top - End - #908
    Ogre in the Playground

I just wanted to point out that no skipping was required in my case. For me, Swedish is a difficult language and Duolingo's award only shows that I have improved my reading and listening in the language from level X-1 to level X. That's all.

9. - Top - End - #909
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cuthalion View Post
    Duolingo lets me skip ahead when I start learning a language... maybe the app is different?
    I dunno, it makes me take a test before skipping. And because I don't remember some words or a couple of sentence structures it goes NOPE NO LOVE FOR YOU

also hi cuth
    hi
    hello
    hey there
    hi
    aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~

10. - Top - End - #910
    Troll in the Playground

I dunno, it makes me take a test before skipping. And because I don't remember some words or a couple of sentence structures it goes NOPE NO LOVE FOR YOU

also hi cuth
    hi
    hello
    hey there
    hi
    Well yeah a test. But even with the test I hadn't done anything Spanish in years and still got to level five even though I totally bombed the test and got, like, one or two things actually right and had forgotten all of my vocabulary ever.

hiya
    Show
    You're my favorite.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

11. - Top - End - #911
    Troll in the Playground

Well yeah a test. But even with the test I hadn't done anything Spanish in years and still got to level five even though I totally bombed the test and got, like, one or two things actually right and had forgotten all of my vocabulary ever.

hiya
    Well ain't ya one Mr. Lingolango.

How's life, Cuth? What are you doing with it right now?

hey hey hey hey hey hey hey there
    aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~

12. - Top - End - #912
    Titan in the Playground

Kapouch! Let's hope for the best!

One of my neighbours in the corridor got hit by a car a month ago and earned herself a beautiful black eye as a trophy. And to really top up on that, she popped a blood vessel in her eye as well, so the white on one side of her eye... wasn't particularly white any longer, but rather bright red, giving her a pretty mean evil eye which only now is starting to fade...

Gblargh flu. Haven't gotten it yet but I feel like it's looming since I've started to get the sniffles lately... or it might be just the joke.

All the best for your recovery!
    Yeah, today I felt much better. I was still woken up two hours early from light dehydration, and I failed to go back to sleep, so I just decided to take a calm morning and still got to work half an hour earlier than normal.

Which was pretty pointless. One of those lovely bits of administration which has to be passed before you're allowed to work in a compound is a complete register checkup where they basically let the military intelligence services dig into your life to see if you could pose a risk to the security of the nation. And mine has been dragging, meaning that while I've been allowed into the building and woking at their Internet connected workstations (which basically just are glorified email clients), I haven't been given access to their offline network where all code development is done. And that half a week of influenza wasn't even enough to make it come through, so I spent my day reading mail, cleaning my desktop and twiddling my thumbs. In the afternoon, I finally learned that the checkup was finished and that I was cleared, but passing it through the layers of burocracy required to get my full access up and running will take at least until Thursday.

At the end of the day, my boss came over and told me he had arranged for me to have a paid day off tomorrow (which is why I'm still up), since there literally was no work for me to do in house. This turned out to be a very fortunate timing, because when I got off the train on my way home, I found my bicycle with a flat tyre. Normally, I wouldn't have had time to get it fixed before the weekend, but now I'm suddenly made of time. Winning!

And that is how you turn a series of unfortunate coincidences into something positive.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

13. - Top - End - #913
    Ettin in the Playground

I keep saying I should post here more, and then I never do.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    Which was pretty pointless. One of those lovely bits of administration which has to be passed before you're allowed to work in a compound is a complete register checkup where they basically let the military intelligence services dig into your life to see if you could pose a risk to the security of the nation. And mine has been dragging, meaning that while I've been allowed into the building and woking at their Internet connected workstations (which basically just are glorified email clients), I haven't been given access to their offline network where all code development is done.

And that is how you turn a series of unfortunate coincidences into something positive.
    Aw yeah, bureaucracy. Lots of fun.

Pretty much anything that starts or ends with PTO comes out at least sort of positive.

ION: Story time!

I spent the better part of this weekend with dad, at a car dealership a little north of my apartment, shopping for a truck - which he did finally buy today, after arguing with yet another sales guy for half an hour. (this is after he'd already settled on a price for the thing - apparently he either didn't read the paper, or was trying to squeeze a few hundred more out of the dealership on this F-150; I'm not sure how it ended, only that it finally did).

We go out for dinner, come back, and he gets ready to head home - and makes it about a mile or two before the check engine light comes on. I come out there to see what's up, bring him the tools he left in his other car, and all of that, and he limps the thing back to my apartment.

Now, I live about three hours north of dad, and given that the thing is brand new, he doesn't want to take any chances driving it home - so after misreading the dipstick and pouring in about 2 quarts of oil the truck certainly didn't need - dad gives up and leaves the truck here, driving home in the car he came with. Sometime later this week I'll get it back up to the dealership and see what they can do about it, but until then, I've got keys to a shiny new car that's almost certainly broken in some way.
    Last edited by Amidus Drexel; 2016-09-05 at 07:45 PM.
    A few odds and ends.

14. - Top - End - #914
    Ettin in the Playground

Yay! I got into Uni!

Anyone here near or in Hull? the UK?
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Sagara
    It's not Yggdrasil or Helheim you're facing, it's the cold rule that says the world demands sacrifice in exchange of hope. Destroy that rule and change the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox Mulder
    I did not lie, I wilfully participated in a campaign of misinformation

Murdered by Furthur Maths.

15. - Top - End - #915

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by The_Admiral View Post
    Yay! I got into Uni!

Nowhere near there (well, about 100 miles away, which is "nowhere near" in UK terms), but I did visit Hull University when looking for courses...gosh, nearly 30 years ago now? The university campus was beautiful back then, hopefully it hasn't changed too much!

16. - Top - End - #916
    Troll in the Playground

Duolingo is a language-learning site/app, I'm guessing? Like Memrise? I use Memrise. Pretty fun and useful, and you can start at beginner/intermediate/advanced with each language. Or something like that. I know I use it to brush up on my third languages and learn new ones, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    Now, I live about three hours north of dad, and given that the thing is brand new, he doesn't want to take any chances driving it home - so after misreading the dipstick and pouring in about 2 quarts of oil the truck certainly didn't need - dad gives up and leaves the truck here, driving home in the car he came with. Sometime later this week I'll get it back up to the dealership and see what they can do about it, but until then, I've got keys to a shiny new car that's almost certainly broken in some way.
    The oil issue is fairly easy to fix, anyway. I'm guessing that's not the only problem? Better make use of that new-car-warranty

Coincidentally, my dad's truck went belly-up just last week. I think he's thinking really hard about getting a new one of his own. He's just as hardass with dealerships, heh.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

17. - Top - End - #917
    Troll in the Playground

Well ain't ya one Mr. Lingolango.

How's life, Cuth? What are you doing with it right now?

hey hey hey hey hey hey hey there
    It was supposed to be an illustration of the duolingo test, not of my Spanish prowess.

Life is going pretty well. Spending around 2-4 hours each day practicing banjo, which is fun while it lasts. Moved north 5 hours during the summer, and pretty quickly became a member of a band based around a ukelele/guitar class that needed any melodic instrument they could get, so violin and banjo fits in pretty well there. Playing with them fairly regularly, and also with an offshoot thereof or two (There was an open slot at the fair, so all the good musicians from that group played there). I was reading a lot about two months ago, not so much right now. It's almost the end of blackberry season, but for a while I was making pies fairly regularly. Um... everything's unpacked from the aforementioned move but not necessarily sorted; I just shoved a few rectangular things into a place and should probably organize them a bit more sometime.

top of the morning (PST) to ye!
    Show
    You're my favorite.

18. - Top - End - #918
    Troll in the Playground

Just had a haircut. My usual guy wasn't there. Is it odd that I'm weirded out by a female hairdresser now?

(She still did a pretty good job tho )

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

19. - Top - End - #919
    Troll in the Playground

Finally managed to get up some highlights from the Fiasco game me and my friends ran on Saturday. The playset we used is called "Town & Gown" and is basically based on your typical American town that 100% relies on the local university. Since like, half or more than that of the people living there attend the university. Our university ended up turning into a community college, though...

Well, it's mostly a list of "live and learns".

No context needed, of course.

Spoiler
    Show
    • Don't leave a woman caught streaking with your co-worker named Dick
    • It's probably for the best if you explain why there's an unclothed young woman with make up running all over her face in your office; your chief director might find the situation suspicious
    • Be prepared to dig your key card out of a filth filled toilet bowl an hour before your shift
    • It's hard to get the image of Dwayne out of your head
    • You shouldn't trust your STD test with the campus tart
    • The best way to fix your lack of supply is to get actual stamps and cover the sticky back with fun dip
    • The best way to run away from people who realise they're stamps slathered with fun dip is to actually never get involved in the first place
    • Don't send your kids to community college
    • Anything can be a sacred artefact as long as you believe it was dropped by an angel
    • Just because you survived the test doesn't mean you've seen the flames of hell and know the way of the light
    • Not a good idea to replace your friend's urine sample with your own [see STD test]
    • No one actually cares who takes the exam as long as someone shows up to do it in your name
    • On-campus jail is not the best way to profess your love to the guy you did it with very drunk that one night
    • It's hard for Dwayne to forget what he just heard
    • Don't cover your room with your cult leader's pictures; especially if he's the head of East Campus security
    • Everyone's surprisingly calm when the whole town's electricity gets shut off
    • Just because it's black doesn't mean Dwayne's the father
    • It's always the art teacher.

And my personal favourite:
    • You shouldn't be surprised if the junkyard owner wants to shoot your head off after they find out you've built an underground bunker for your cult
    • ... and also tries to you frame for the murder of your very first cult member, 80-year-old Marsha, that would've not made it to the saviour's bunker anyways

... and you know what, the favourite above all of that:
    • Even if everyone else fails, Dwayne'll be there to win your hearts

ION: Story time!

I spent the better part of this weekend with dad, at a car dealership a little north of my apartment, shopping for a truck - which he did finally buy today, after arguing with yet another sales guy for half an hour. (this is after he'd already settled on a price for the thing - apparently he either didn't read the paper, or was trying to squeeze a few hundred more out of the dealership on this F-150; I'm not sure how it ended, only that it finally did).

We go out for dinner, come back, and he gets ready to head home - and makes it about a mile or two before the check engine light comes on. I come out there to see what's up, bring him the tools he left in his other car, and all of that, and he limps the thing back to my apartment.

So you're gonna go around showing off the keys to people but never actually let them see the vehicle run?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Admiral View Post
    Yay! I got into Uni!

Congrats!

Life is going pretty well. Spending around 2-4 hours each day practicing banjo, which is fun while it lasts. Moved north 5 hours during the summer, and pretty quickly became a member of a band based around a ukelele/guitar class that needed any melodic instrument they could get, so violin and banjo fits in pretty well there. Playing with them fairly regularly, and also with an offshoot thereof or two (There was an open slot at the fair, so all the good musicians from that group played there). I was reading a lot about two months ago, not so much right now. It's almost the end of blackberry season, but for a while I was making pies fairly regularly. Um... everything's unpacked from the aforementioned move but not necessarily sorted; I just shoved a few rectangular things into a place and should probably organize them a bit more sometime.

top of the morning (PST) to ye!
    *grabs collar*
    What are you doing with your life
    *steals banjo*

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    Just had a haircut. My usual guy wasn't there. Is it odd that I'm weirded out by a female hairdresser now?

(She still did a pretty good job tho )
    Now that you mention... I've never had my hair cut by a man before. Hmm.
    aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~

20. - Top - End - #920
    Ettin in the Playground

The oil issue is fairly easy to fix, anyway. I'm guessing that's not the only problem? Better make use of that new-car-warranty
    Oh, yeah, whatever he got the light for is unrelated to the oil. Or as dad put it: "Well, I probably shouldn't have put two quarts of oil in it, but then, the check engine light shouldn't have come on to begin with, so I think we're even."

So you're gonna go around showing off the keys to people but never actually let them see the vehicle run?
    Something like that.
    A few odds and ends.

21. - Top - End - #921
    Troll in the Playground

finn took my banjo and now i'm sad
    Show
    You're my favorite.

22. - Top - End - #922
    Barbarian in the Playground

You can steal one from Tailiu... she's running a character in my Roll20 game that's a circus urchin... I bet said character has -some- musical prowress... no Elan, but... ;)

23. - Top - End - #923
    Troll in the Playground

Now that you mention... I've never had my hair cut by a man before. Hmm.
    Just like with chefs, men make the best hairdressers

...the above is wrong and a lie. Don't believe it. I just like my guy coz I'm used to him and he knows me

Oh, yeah, whatever he got the light for is unrelated to the oil. Or as dad put it: "Well, I probably shouldn't have put two quarts of oil in it, but then, the check engine light shouldn't have come on to begin with, so I think we're even."
    Sounds like a dangerous game to play with a piece of machinery

24. - Top - End - #924
    Troll in the Playground

Something like that.
    What else could we expect from you, young lad.

hey
    it's my banjo now
    hey
    don't be sad
    there's enough banjos in the us of a
    hey
    don't be sad
    it's my banjo now

Just like with chefs, men make the best hairdressers

...the above is wrong and a lie. Don't believe it. I just like my guy coz I'm used to him and he knows me
    I could smack you if I wanted to... ... theoretically. No way I'm taking a long tiring flight just to realise I don't want to use any physical violence against you. and it's too expensive to just end up staying and hanging out. Pffft. You're not worth my money!
    aah yes, alligators
    ~Extended Signature~

25. - Top - End - #925
    Ogre in the Playground

I had my very first ex tempore conversation in Swedish yesterday :0 It went fine, even though I was awful. It helped that I was speaking with a very nice person who was just happy to see someone trying to speak his language.

26. - Top - End - #926
    Troll in the Playground

I could smack you if I wanted to... ... theoretically. No way I'm taking a long tiring flight just to realise I don't want to use any physical violence against you. and it's too expensive to just end up staying and hanging out. Pffft. You're not worth my money!
    So I just need to make you angry enough for you to come over, got it

And then once you're here, you'll see how great it is and forget all about smacking and stuff I am worth all of the money.

Also I spent like 2 hours last night bingeing on kantele music on Youtube. One guy (from Nest) has like a 2-hour solo live performance, and it's awesome.

27. - Top - End - #927
    Ettin in the Playground

This is a scientific analysis of something.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

28. - Top - End - #928
    Ogre in the Playground

It's 2am and I'm poking my head in on a board I haven't visited in many long years. Place looks more or less like I remember it. The folks, we're gonna find out. So, hi again. :D
    Amazing Mountain King avatar courtesy of the remarkable Starwoof!

29. - Top - End - #929

Quote Originally Posted by MountainKing View Post
    It's 2am and I'm poking my head in on a board I haven't visited in many long years. Place looks more or less like I remember it. The folks, we're gonna find out. So, hi again. :D
    Hello Mountain King. Hope you're halls are doing well.

I too am also half asleep due to the time I'm posting. And I'm remembering all these old web comics I loved like Sluggy Freelance, Adventurers! and so on. I wonder if the latter went on to do anything else after Adventurers! and Anti-Hero for Hire, like how RPG World's creator went on to make Steven Universe with Rebecca Sugar.

30. - Top - End - #930
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Adventurers!
    Oh my gosh, that was an awesome comic.

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I wonder if the latter went on to do anything else after Adventurers! and Anti-Hero for Hire, like how RPG World's creator went on to make Steven Universe with Rebecca Sugar.
    Like how the creator of this awesome webcomic went on to write a novel which became a major film. Bob was there, too.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak