New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 49 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Steven Univ3rse: The Great and Lovable Thread

Fair enough, it does seem kinda obvious in retrospect.
    Seeing as how common these complaints are, you'd think somebody at CN would at least be aware of the problem with the bombs.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    Then they presumably toss the money around in the air and use it as confetti or something.
    If I were absurdly rich I would totally do that. Next to a craps table, so I could declare, "Everyone's a winner!" Probably just the one time though, so I could cross it off the bucket list.

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    I have to wonder. Is it better to watch the Summer of Steven to support SU, or is it better not to, to oppose the stupid scheduling?
    I dunno. It's dumb, but it's dumb in a way that got us new episodes daily. I think I can live with that. Especially since the crew will occasionally toss the fans tidbits to chew on during those long hiatuses-- like episode titles and whatnot. To be fair to the network, Steven Universe, Adventure Time and maybe Regular Show are probably the only shows in their lineup that can go on a long hiatus without diminishing their interest.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Colossus in the Playground

Seeing as how common these complaints are, you'd think somebody at CN would at least be aware of the problem with the bombs.
    Scheduling decisions are never made with just one show in mind, or for that matter, with just shows in mind. Every network decision boils down to how it affects the bottom line. It's possible that CN wants to save new episodes of popular shows like Steven Universe to launch at strategic, critical times that support the run-of-the-mill lineup.

For example, if CN just signed a new advertising deal with, say, Hasbro, and Hasbro demands a certain amount of eyeballs within the first month or the contract is null. Having a Stevenbomb in your pocket is a really, really good way to hit the target if you're not sure your regular numbers can make it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

4. - Top - End - #244

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    In the same breath as "the Bomb format is garbage" I must also say "but if we don't support the show CN will kill the **** out of it" so we must. It is a thing we must endure.
    Occasional Steven is better than no Steven at all.

Also ratings soar when new episodes of Steven air, so Steven Bombs and other spcial events makes mucho moneys for the CN, and the more Monies Steven makes for CN, the more new Steven we'll get(and also possibly higher budget for future seasons)

Would you rather have two and a half seasons leading up to a rushed half assed final, or seven seasons, a satisfying conclusion to the story arc, and a movie?
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Whats a problem to you and I may not be (read: definitely is not) a problem for the people who schedule the shows. The bombs pretty much guarantee an audience, which means a lot for their bottom line. While I find it distasteful, I'm willing to tolerate it if it means the show continues to get made at the current quality level.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ettin in the Playground

More Money for CN is more Steven for us. We sacrifice Steven on a regular basis to get Steven on a long-term basis.
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2016-07-06 at 05:47 PM.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

More Money for CN is more Steven for us. We sacrifice Steven on a regular basis to get Steven on a long-term basis.
    They've already been renewed for three more seasons. Not sure how much more Steven we need. The story has to end at some point.

8. - Top - End - #248

Spoiler: Schedule
    Show
    I think that the CN has decided to start Steven Universe events with Back to Back episodes the day the event's start.

Because Steven Floats is getting it's american release and will immediately be followed by Drop Beat Dad, at least according to one vid I saw.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2016-07-07 at 12:23 AM.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Entertainment Weekly just dropped quite a huge spoiler for the show. Hiding the link under a spoiler tag since it reveals it in the title.

Spoiler: About what's revealed in the above link, only look after viewing
    Show
    So... it really was a Bismuth in Lion's mane. I never saw this coming so soon. I wonder if Bismuth will be another regular/semi-regular like Peridot or not. Also it looks like she was the gem that poofed Lapis - just look at her design.
    Last edited by Phexar; 2016-07-07 at 09:03 AM.
    You were born an original. Don't die a copy.
    -- John Mason.

10. - Top - End - #250

I would normally say I'd be fine with SU going on forever, but... I must admit, if it's a choice between it dying awesome or having it go on to become awful, I'd rather have the former.
    Still, if we keep watching it, even once the show ends, there's a chance CN will learn from the example and make more shows like it.

Also, EHRMAHGERD, I need the SoS to start NOW, somehow it's harder to wait these last two weeks than it was to wait all those months...
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Phexar View Post
    Entertainment Weekly just dropped quite a huge spoiler for the show. Hiding the link under a spoiler tag since it reveals it in the title.

Show
    So... it really was a Bismuth in Lion's mane. I never saw this coming so soon. I wonder if Bismuth will be another regular/semi-regular like Peridot or not. Also it looks like she was the gem that poofed Lapis - just look at her design.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I wonder who Crazy Lace, Biggs and Snowflake were. Other than Crystal Gems, obviously. I guess two of those are references to soldier characters from movies, maybe Crazy Lace is from something I haven't seen. Also, I guess Mr. Greg is the musical episode and if the teaser on Entertainment Weekly is any indication, Pearl is great in it!
    Last edited by The Fury; 2016-07-07 at 09:56 AM.

12. - Top - End - #252

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I wonder who Crazy Lace, Biggs and Snowflake were. Other than Crystal Gems, obviously. I guess two of those are references to soldier characters from movies, maybe Crazy Lace is from something I haven't seen. Also, I guess Mr. Greg is the musical episode and if the teaser on Entertainment Weekly is any indication, Pearl is great in it!
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm curious too, but I think it was 'Crazy Legs'.
    I wonder if Bismuth is gonna be with the main group permanently, or if she's gonna go off and do her own thing like Lapis and Peridot. Or if she just shows up for an episode or two, has a breakdown, and ends up poofed/bubbled again.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #253
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    I wonder who Crazy Lace, Biggs and Snowflake were. Other than Crystal Gems, obviously. I guess two of those are references to soldier characters from movies, maybe Crazy Lace is from something I haven't seen.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Crazy Lace Agate (and Crazy Lace Jasper!) and Snowflake Obsidian are some types of stone, not sure about the third one though.
    -- John Mason.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Crazy Lace Agate (and Crazy Lace Jasper!) and Snowflake Obsidian are some types of stone, not sure about the third one though.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, I thought Snowflake and Biggs were just references to Glory and Star Wars respectively.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Spamalot in the Playground

Show
    Spoiler: That Second Video Teaser
    Show
    Haha, I like the song, very catchy. Annnnd ruined by Pearl. Actually, I like that she ruined it. Really adds to her awkwardness when she tells Greg no. There's a talk in there that needs to happen. :3
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

16. - Top - End - #256

Spoiler: Mr Greg.
    Show
    So, either Greg wins the lottery, or he's been secretly wealthy this entire time and lives in his van out of habit.

I hope we can avoid a tired old "A fool and his new money" plot, because Greg has always been pretty sensible for a cartoon dad.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Spoiler: Mr Greg.
    Show
    So, either Greg wins the lottery, or he's been secretly wealthy this entire time and lives in his van out of habit.

I hope we can avoid a tired old "A fool and his new money" plot, because Greg has always been pretty sensible for a cartoon dad.
    Spoiler: C'mon shake a leg! It's Mr. Greg!
    Show
    Well, it looks like it's already on its way to avoiding a "Fool and His Money" trope. Usually when it comes up the fool loses his/her money by spending it on stuff that's frivolous and doesn't really make him/her happy. What does Greg do with his money in this sequence? Uses it to try to make Pearl and Steven happy, which will make him happy too. Even if he does lose all of his money by the end of the episode, I'm sure he'd consider it well-spent. Greg's a pretty cool guy.
    Last edited by The Fury; 2016-07-07 at 12:03 PM.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Mr. Greg
    Show
    Okay, so I rewatched the Mr. Greg clip. Towards the end, when Pearl ruins the song, the easiest and probably most accurate way to look at it is Pearl still holding a grudge against Greg for "taking Rose away" or whatever. But then I realized. Greg's last line before that? "Come on, and just say-", with "Yes" being the implied end to that sentence. But isn't "just say yes" what Jasper told Lapis right before the two fused? It might be a coincidence, and probably wasn't the main reason behind Pearl's reaction, but it's not tough to draw parallels between Pearl's recent fight with Garnet and that particular scene, so maybe there's more to that scene than we thought...
    Dark Red, the Voice of the Dragon

Extended Signature Link

Quote Originally Posted by Quiver View Post
    How much terrain does the forty foot long, flying, fire breathing lizard which may or may not have magic consider its domain?

As much as it god damn wants.

19. - Top - End - #259

Spoiler
    Show
    So, just saw a vid.

Summer of Steven is basically going to be all the rest of Season 3.

Sugar has confirmed that we're getting fall episodes, so I guess that'll be season 4.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, I thought Snowflake and Biggs were just references to Glory and Star Wars respectively.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Apparently there's also a gemstone called Biggs Jasper, so I guess that makes up the three mentioned - Crazy Lace Agate/Jasper, Biggs Jasper, and Snowflake Obsidian - Crazy Lace, Biggs and Snowflake.

The third one could also be Bix/Bixbite too. It's hard to make out even when slowed down though.
    Last edited by Phexar; 2016-07-07 at 09:49 PM.
    -- John Mason.

21. - Top - End - #261

Spoiler: Officially released spoiler clip
    Show
    So, Bizmuth is pretty obviously the Gem that poofed Lapis and got her stuck in the mirror.

How is Lapis going to react to her?
    Last edited by Rater202; 2016-07-08 at 11:04 AM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Spoiler: Officially released spoiler clip
    Show
    So, Bizmuth is pretty obviously the Gem that poofed Lapis and got her stuck in the mirror.

How is Lapis going to react to her?
    Spoiler: New clip discussion
    Show
    Does Lapis know it was her? (Honest question)
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

23. - Top - End - #263

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Spoiler: New clip discussion
    Show
    Does Lapis know it was her? (Honest question)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Here we have what Lapis showed Steven
    Spoiler
    Show

Looks an awful lot like Bismuth.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler: New clip speculation
    Show
    It has been pointed out that Amethyst has a different outfit in the clips with Bismuth, implying that she's been poofed and re-formed at some point.

My suspicion is that Bismuth will meet Amethyst, possibly without the other gems around, and immediately attack and poof her. Bismuth doesn't know Amethyst, since she was bubbled before Amethyst was found, and her first reaction on seeing her will probably be "That's an Amethyst, they were being grown at the Kindergarden by Homeworld as soldiers, I'd better just attack her and not give her a chance to do anything!". Would fit with the apparent personality of a gem who attacked Lapis before even finding out if she was a combatant.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ellindsey View Post
    Spoiler: New clip speculation
    Show
    It has been pointed out that Amethyst has a different outfit in the clips with Bismuth, implying that she's been poofed and re-formed at some point.

My suspicion is that Bismuth will meet Amethyst, possibly without the other gems around, and immediately attack and poof her. Bismuth doesn't know Amethyst, since she was bubbled before Amethyst was found, and her first reaction on seeing her will probably be "That's an Amethyst, they were being grown at the Kindergarden by Homeworld as soldiers, I'd better just attack her and not give her a chance to do anything!". Would fit with the apparent personality of a gem who attacked Lapis before even finding out if she was a combatant.
    Spoiler: Speculation
    Show
    I'm skeptical. We've seen that what side youre on isn't decided by what type of gem you are, and Amethyst is allegedly extremely physically abnormal compared to other amethysts. I could see, perhaps, Bismuth releasing an attack the moment she reforms, due to her confusion over having been in stasis (ie she was frozen mid attack), but I don't think she would just attack the first unfamiliar gem she saw if she was in full control of her faculties.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Spoiler: Speculation
    Show
    I'm skeptical. We've seen that what side youre on isn't decided by what type of gem you are, and Amethyst is allegedly extremely physically abnormal compared to other amethysts. I could see, perhaps, Bismuth releasing an attack the moment she reforms, due to her confusion over having been in stasis (ie she was frozen mid attack), but I don't think she would just attack the first unfamiliar gem she saw if she was in full control of her faculties.
    Spoiler: Clip speculation
    Show
    Then again, Pearl had to tell her it's been 5300 years. If she's operating from a mindset of 5300 years ago, and knows there isn't a malformed Amethyst on the Crystal Gems, she'll file her into the "Homeworld Gems" category and presumably attack.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler: Clip speculation
    Show
    Then again, Pearl had to tell her it's been 5300 years. If she's operating from a mindset of 5300 years ago, and knows there isn't a malformed Amethyst on the Crystal Gems, she'll file her into the "Homeworld Gems" category and presumably attack.
    Spoiler: Moar speculation.
    Show
    While is has been slightly unclear, there has been strong indication that the Crystal Gems were part of or in command of an actual army of their own at one point, which is where many of the Cluster shards came from. It would be unreasonable for anyone to think they know every fighter in the army, and from what weve seen of Homeworld, a malformed anything is far more likely to be on the Crystal Gem's side.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draconium View Post
    Spoiler: Mr. Greg
    Show
    Okay, so I rewatched the Mr. Greg clip. Towards the end, when Pearl ruins the song, the easiest and probably most accurate way to look at it is Pearl still holding a grudge against Greg for "taking Rose away" or whatever. But then I realized. Greg's last line before that? "Come on, and just say-", with "Yes" being the implied end to that sentence. But isn't "just say yes" what Jasper told Lapis right before the two fused? It might be a coincidence, and probably wasn't the main reason behind Pearl's reaction, but it's not tough to draw parallels between Pearl's recent fight with Garnet and that particular scene, so maybe there's more to that scene than we thought...
    Spoiler: Oh, Greg.
    Show
    I'm not sure that it was a deliberate callback for a couple reasons-- Jasper said this to Lapis to fuse with her, Greg physically cannot fuse with Pearl. Jasper was manipulating Lapis in order to get stronger, Greg doesn't have any interest in manipulating Pearl. Is it entirely possible that Greg might've accidentally stepped on one of Pearl's boundaries? Oh, absolutely.

Pearl and Greg's relationship is an odd one though. Garnet volunteered to go on a roadtrip with Greg to escape the drama at home, Amethyst seems to enjoy his company-- L'il Butler and... yeah. Pearl seems to be the only one that doesn't enjoy being around him, then again the only full-human that Pearl seems to like is Connie.

29. - Top - End - #269

Opinion/theory time: What gem would the hypothetical fusion of Peridot and Lapis be?

I've seen turquoise and zircon theorized before.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2016-07-08 at 11:16 PM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Show
    I'm not sure that it was a deliberate callback for a couple reasons-- Jasper said this to Lapis to fuse with her, Greg physically cannot fuse with Pearl. Jasper was manipulating Lapis in order to get stronger, Greg doesn't have any interest in manipulating Pearl. Is it entirely possible that Greg might've accidentally stepped on one of Pearl's boundaries? Oh, absolutely.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If anything the scene is something of a call-back to We Need To Talk, where we see Pearl deliberately dancing with Rose to put Greg in his place. This time Pearl simply looks to be having fun (with Steven? Perhaps this whole thing is actually for his sake and Pearl was initially playing along), and suddenly realises that she is about to dance with Greg.

But yes, I think Greg is simply forgetting what Dancing can mean in a Gem context.

Show
    Pearl and Greg's relationship is an odd one though. Garnet volunteered to go on a roadtrip with Greg to escape the drama at home, Amethyst seems to enjoy his company-- L'il Butler and... yeah. Pearl seems to be the only one that doesn't enjoy being around him, then again the only full-human that Pearl seems to like is Connie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Up until now, if it were to happen in show, I'd have said that Amethyst would be the most likely contender to form a relationship with Greg. We not only have the tension in Maximum Capacity that you allude to here, but she also liked Greg (or at least his hairstyle, which she seems to have adopted) from their first meeting. Added to that, in We Need to Talk Amethyst describes Greg as "her favourite".

But then we had Pearl's dream in "Chille Tid" (interestingly, the following episode), when her dream of being close to Rose suddenly morphs into a dream with Greg. This is played to look like a nightmare (Pearl's reaction especially), but afterwards she appears to be more embarrassed than disturbed. This could be just about the content of the dream, or it could be because they are foreshadowing conflicting feelings about Greg.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee