New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 43 of 45 FirstFirst ... 1833343536373839404142434445 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1344
  1. - Top - End - #1261
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Beyond Myria (Iron Heroes) IC

"You're are correct. The revelations today..." Thyr leaned agains a stone wall, folding her arms. "Are beyond anything anyone can even imagine... No one would believe us if we told this story. To be honest, they would assume that we are barking mad. But all of this..." She swept her hand across the room and looked at Faillune's remnants. "Is beyond words." She looked away from the fangs at directed her sights on Ingvar.
    "You may consider it as astounding as what I say, Ingvar. The Adelmada's host called you Lupin, and I had misjudged you as an Adelbrood kin. I have called your diligence to the cadre into question and attacked your honour... But I hurt mine." She sighed. "An for that I apologize."
    "For the amateur, the funniest thing in the world is the sight of a man dressed up as an old woman rolling down a steep hill in a wheel-chair and crashing into a wall at the bottom of it. But to make a pro laugh, it would have to be a real old woman." Groucho Marx

2. - Top - End - #1262
    Troll in the Playground

Noj Onadare
    Noj lifts the scimitar off of the rack and inspects it, turning it this way and that.
    He comments, "So, we're a cadre now, eh? Fair enough, I guess; I've fought more this past moon with you lot than I've ever done with some of the people back home I call clansmen."
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

3. - Top - End - #1263
    Orc in the Playground

Jyn's sight remains focused on the book, but she hears the group's words and smiles at the thought of she and her companions being a cadre. That will make what she has planned that much simpler.

"Well I think what we carry from this place will more than suffice as proof of our deeds. To display the giant's hand or the claw of the lizard beast will do much to proclaim our triumphs. And carrying these weapons, the land probably has not seen since the earliest stories my grandmother bid me to remember, will have many look in awe."

"I agree forging new weapons will take time, but besides gaining whatever knowledge these writings hold, our next chore needs to be repairing Thyr's weapon. I am sure we can find stock from one of the weapons here to serve as a temporary haft of her weapon."
    Last edited by Grymmheart; 2008-02-28 at 04:44 PM.
    Wonderful Avatar by Kain_Tempest

4. - Top - End - #1264
    Orc in the Playground

"We shouldn't get ahead of ourselves. If the Adelbrood has reached this far from Shatterhorn, then the ones we faced at Pinval are probably not the only packs roaming around. Worse still, we killed their number, and that may mean they will be specifically targetting us. If we make to much noise about this prison and the Adelmada we not only run the risk of being up to our armpits in Blackshields, but we also run the risk of the Adelmada being discovered and freed.
    "You may not like it, but we may have to keep our findings at the mountain a secret, which means we cannot go back to Pinval. Knowing how dangerous the mountain is, if we return, especially with any or all of the treasures of this place, we will run the risk of the prison being discovered, either by looters or the Adelbrood. It will also make us more famous and more easily found by those we shouldn't want to encounter any further."
    Last edited by Kain_Tempest; 2008-02-28 at 06:01 PM.
    "For the amateur, the funniest thing in the world is the sight of a man dressed up as an old woman rolling down a steep hill in a wheel-chair and crashing into a wall at the bottom of it. But to make a pro laugh, it would have to be a real old woman." Groucho Marx

5. - Top - End - #1265
    Barbarian in the Playground

Conversing with Mynas from her knees on the floor, Jyn finds her eyes drawn back to the black tome, finding it hard to concentrate while secrets remain to be discovered.
    The book is hard-bound and slick to the touch, not wet exactly more greasy. The mass of chains across the front bind the book shut, and it cannot be opened a single fraction. Underneath the silvery links, a fine token of metal is fixed to the cover: a small skull.

Ingvar crouches down and to lift the hand and a half sword up by it's hilt. The metal is warm to the touch, very heavy and very thick so he can barely wrap a hand around.
    As he lifts the sword leaps into the air and the blade waves around, dashing him across the cheek with the lightest touch as he lifts with too much strength. A thin cut trickles a drop of blood onto his beard.
    The sword is unbelievably light weight, and all the weight is in the hilt. The blade must weigh nearly nothing but be incredibly sharp. The very strange balance is all under the guard and it feels like the weapons floats in his hand, moving with every flick of the wrist.

The task of crafting a suitable haft is a large one. Perhaps a weeks work might make it worthy of the weapon, assuming you can beat and mould the metal. There is an axe in the collection that has a metal shaft, slightly corroded and it may do. Certainly as a temporary measure it could be made to fit.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    The Black Shield Transforms! - from Beyond Myria campaign
    Wolvun avatar by kind courtesy of Kain_Tempest.

Spoiler
    Show

Requiescat in pace: the "Sweet Hat Bro" bird.
    Can nothing survive the jaws of THE BEAST? Even the innocent cute and fluffy?

Quote Originally Posted by sikyon View Post
    Sometimes people forget all the benefits we reap from the sacrifices of our soldiers.

6. - Top - End - #1266
    Orc in the Playground

Jyn struggles with the binding and chains protecting the contents of the skull-faced tome. Frustrated, she places the book down wit reverence and stands up to look around.

"Maybe the scroll or other books will have the secret to open the tome, she mutters to herself.

As for your fear Mynas, you are correct that we must worry about more of the evils we have faced to this day coming to battle us. But maybe we could hole ourselves up her for a few days, learning the secrets of these books, repairing your weapon, and healing our wounds. We could set watch and help protect Raenis from any more Adelbrood that may come to release their leader, until we have the strength to destroy her outright."
    While speaking, Jyn moves toward the oil bathed scroll. With utmost care she removes the scroll allowing the bowl to collect as much oil as possible before slowly unfurling the scroll. At any sign of fragility, Jyn stops to review what she can see.
    Last edited by Grymmheart; 2008-02-28 at 07:39 PM.

7. - Top - End - #1267
    Orc in the Playground

"I wouldn't recommend staying here either. The meat on our bones would have probably fallen off if we happened to stay near the lake any longer than we did. Furthermore, we'd only be putting ourselves in greater danger by allowing ourselves to be forced to fight a three way battle." Thyr holds up three fingers.
    "First there are the Adelbrood that might show up hunting for us after razing Pinval to the ground for killing that last group. They'll come to us and likely they will not make an illusions about how powerful we are. Second are the scales. They are likely another defense against those trying to free Adelmada along with the cauldron, the fire giant, and Raenis himself. We fought a very harsh battle against a scouting group, and when that group fails to return to their brood, more will show up and we'll be caught between two very potent and very hostile foes. Third is, again, the terrain. The lizards are accustomed to it, but neither we nor the Adelbrood will be used to it, we'd be fighting a battle we could not win." She lowered her hand.
    "We may understand that we have to destroy the Adelmada in order to help Myria. However, we do not have the means to do it, nor the assurance that doing so will not upset the balance further. And killing Raenis may be the wrong way to go about it altogether. We need more information and if we cannot glean it from the scrolls, we may have to speak to other shamans and find other spirits who can guide us. Another task we cannot do if we hole up in this miserable hole." She looked back at Faillune, who had gone quiet.
    "I admit that I want to repair Faillune as soon as possible and if there is a forge here, it would be the best place to render the steel and iron, however, our rations won't last very long and food is going to be scarce. Our best option is to get back to the surface, from there we can recover our losses, arm ourselves with the knowledge we need, and then return later when the lizards will not be in force. If a scouting party gave us that much trouble, imagine what the full force of those lizards could do to the Adelbrodd that try and free Adelmada."

8. - Top - End - #1268

And where do I fit into all of this? whispered the metal fragments quietly, so it's hum echoed around the square walls. Here was I thinking we'd found ourselves a nice home. I'm glad you haven't mentioned that group of starving weaklings, joining that Column again would be suicide.

The protective fluid drips from the rolled up vellum scroll and the glistening hide is only slightly cracked, well preserved it seems since you guess it is ancient. Jyn stretches her arms and holds it up, displaying the markings across it's contents...

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...AncientMap.jpg
    Last edited by Gygaxphobia; 2008-03-02 at 12:11 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Sometimes people forget all the benefits we reap from the sacrifices of our soldiers.

9. - Top - End - #1269
    Ogre in the Playground

Vesha shakes his head. You are all talking about these Dvarf weapons, these books, killing the Adelmeda... surely the most important thing is to free the spirit of the sun, which they said is bound inside these mountains somewhere? We have to find him and let him out.

10. - Top - End - #1270
    Troll in the Playground

Noj Onadare
    Noj looks up from trying a backhand flourish with the weapon, surprised.
    "G'wan. Us, bringing the sun back? That's some serious heroing you're talking about there, Vesha."
    Noj snorts, but the smile doesn't leave his lips.
    "Now, that'd be something grand wouldn't it? Be the ones who free the sun, and bring the favor o' the god back to Myria."
    He looks thoughtfully at the scimitar in his hand
    "Aye," he says softly, "That'd be something the bards would sing of fore'er."

11. - Top - End - #1271
    Orc in the Playground

"That would be something," replies Jyn.

"To be the ones recorded in history as the liberators of Myria, that would be something indeed." Turning to Mynas, she continues "Do you think we would be any safer outside this mountain? We seem to have been surrounded on several occasions all over this land. Being close to the Guardian and Raenis may be a boon. Also this room seems to be secure enough if we thought we could store some supplies for a short stay. We left a supply of meat on the bridge. And it could give us time to crack the secrets of this book, if I could get it open, and repair your talking weapon."

"Does anyone think their fingers are nimble enough to remove this chain binding, I will try but I am sure I will need some help."

Spoiler
    Show

DC 10- assist rolls if Noj gives it a shot,DC 16 for my attempt to crack
    (12d20)[20][19][19][4][19][15][17][20][13][1][5][7](159)

No dex mod or ranks in escape artist to alter roll

Last edited by Grymmheart; 2008-02-29 at 09:45 AM.

12. - Top - End - #1272
    Ogre in the Playground

Vesha looks nervous. I do not think you should open that thing, it is chained shut for a reason. It probably holds some evil spirit.

13. - Top - End - #1273
    Troll in the Playground

Noj Onadare
    Noj finds room for the new scimitar at his belt, retiring his older weapon to hang across his back, his calloused hands moving quickly. He curses a little as the static from his furs arc to his working fingers, but the task is soon accomplished.
    "Ach," he says, as Vesha makes his objections, "And maybe when I take a sh*t I should check that for evil spirits too. Sure, we've seen a puddlin' of Wendigo today, but not everything in this bloody furnace is going to grow claws and try to take our goolies off. Now give me yon book." He reaches over and takes the tome out of Jyn's hands.
    "Ooh, hey; whoever did this knew about binding stuff." With a series of grunts and tuggings and janglings, Noj sets to work loosing the chains on the book, his success borne more of experience than insight.
    Spoiler
    Show

(25d20)[4][5][7][13][1][14][7][9][11][11][8][10][1][4][20][7][5][11][6][18][5][20][12][8][11](228)
    At a +14 unassisted vs DC 20, 20 successes needed.
    [4][5][7][13][1][14][7][9][11][11][8][10][1][4][20][7][5][11][6][18][5][20][12][8][11]
    [20][19][19][4][19][15][17][20][13][1][5][7]
    EDIT:That gives exactly 20 successes with Jyn's assistance.
    Last edited by The Great Skenardo; 2008-02-29 at 11:13 AM.

14. - Top - End - #1274
    Ogre in the Playground

No-one went to a great deal of trouble to chain shut your sh*t, replies Vesha sharply.

15. - Top - End - #1275
    Orc in the Playground

Ingvar the Wolf

Ingvar had been pondering his comrades' words as he studied the impressive black blade in his hands. Perhaps with time he could learn to wield it one-handed.... He turns first to Minas Thyr, an uncharacteristic smile on his face.

"Hell, lass. Before this cluster-hump started, I did not know of Lupin OR Aldebrood myself. And before today, I did not know I could assume a beast's shape... it still seems as a dream to me... So worry not. We are all getting to know each other. He then laughs, but with little mirth. "The folk at Gniepr's Mill used to say I was hard to like, but easy to trust."

He then turns to the others.

"I cannot believe we are discussing these matters so lightly.... slaying Adelmada... bringing back the sun..." He shakes his head before proceeding. "By Kos, but we must be mad, Doom-laden, or both... Dammit, if we are to choose a lofty goal, I say we do as Vesha suggests. If we can free the sun, we also keep our vow to the lads at the column, nay?"
    Last edited by Helfdan; 2008-02-29 at 01:53 PM.

16. - Top - End - #1276
    Orc in the Playground

Thyr sighed.
    "Even if we do go about what is needed to free the sun... If the ritual that Raenis and his cadre was the same that chained the sun, do we really have all that we need. What if the people they had were needed to stop the ritual." She raised a hand and pointed to Ingvar.
    "Lupin." She then pointed to Noj. "Mountains." She waved her hand across both Vesha and Jyn. "Perhaps the forest and dragons." She sighed, leaning back.
    "We are still missing a member of the Wolven tribe... And don't forget the fact that Raenis' group was too weak to stop the ritual. With the force he had and the destiny he and his companions were aware of, they stood a far greater chance than we ever will."

17. - Top - End - #1277
    Ogre in the Playground

They were trying to stop a magic ritual. We just have to find the sun and let him out. It will be a lot easier.

18. - Top - End - #1278
    Orc in the Playground

Ingvar the Wolf

Ingvar narrows his eyes at Thyr's statements but keeps his peace. Raenis certainly seemed to think there was a Wolven among them...

19. - Top - End - #1279
    Orc in the Playground

"Too weak to stop the ritual? That may be the case against an amassed number of Adelbrood and the She-bitch in full power. But she is locked away in this mountain and her brood are just rising now. The longer we delay, the more that may be amassed against us in our attempt to bring the sun back to Myria. "

20. - Top - End - #1280
    Troll in the Playground

Noj Onadare
    Noj, his armor in tatters, squats, still working on the chains binding the book in place. He curses every now and again as the static build-up in the dry air arcs off the chain to his fingers.
    "They tell some tales of Draugan in the Avalanche, and there's stories about the woods that no one but us knows. Wolven though;" Noj smiles, his chapped lips cracking a little. "A new story, even I've fought the shiverbit and most of their kind before. And the sun locked away...Aye, it'd be a grand thing to be a part o' that one."

21. - Top - End - #1281
    Orc in the Playground

"I hope the Adlebrood is small, but I don't have any illusions about it. If the Adlebrood started in the west, then it would only be a matter of time before a ranging pack succumbed the Adelmada and returned to Shatterhorn to spread her influence. With two winters under the current patriarch, I doubt it would take very long for the brood to take hold and therefore control the centre of the Cadinoc community. That gives her a very large and very martially trained army of warriors who have also been overcome by the brood's taint.
    "The majority of the Cadinoc were a poor example. Only the one that changed seemed to bear all the markings of the tribe and she was probably a whelp among that... I'm well aware that the longer we wait the more dangerous things can become, but I also feel running blindly into things is just going to get us all killed. And the signs on that map only further my misgivings about going deeper into these tunnels."
    Thyr gestured to the map.
    Of course though, everything was giving Thyr misgivings. Even though Faillune had been returned to her, something felt fundamentally different about the weapon and she was already growing concerned as to whether or not it really was her weapon anymore. The way it was acting had changed and it felt more alienating. Of course, she wasn't about to start asking questions in the presence of the rest of the cadre, such actions seemed rather moronic on the surface and weak-willed.
    But Faillune had asked a poignant question. Why was Thyr bothering, risking her life with this bunch? Sure enough the Column was mortally wounded and wouldn't survive, but what about Thyr's wishes. She had allowed herself to be whisked into the Egrek's forces in order to gain food and a place by the fire, but now she was running the risk of starving and being killed by things far worse than wendigo.
    All she had wanted was to find a place where she could be at peace. A home where she could go and live out her life and die with what dignity she had left. Now she was nothing more than a member of this pack of mongrels. Ones that were enamoured by the idea of 'releasing the sun', regardless of how vague such a task was or how they could reverse such a powerful ritual. Idiots.
    "Is fame the only reason why you all want to free the sun?" She finally asked, passing her gaze across the group.

22. - Top - End - #1282
    Ogre in the Playground

Vesha shakes his head. I don't care about fame. Freeing the sun is simply my destiny. The spirits have fated me to do it, though I did not realise it at the time. I see it now though... I thought they wanted me to follow the column, but now I think I was wrong, they wanted me to free the spirit of the sun.

23. - Top - End - #1283
    Orc in the Playground

"I too have misgivings about our time away from the column. But if you feel our chances of making an affect her are so slim, do you really think we few have a chance of affecting the direct fate of the column? I do not seek fame. I left my home due to boredom and fear. I was bored with the life of a lorekeeper and afraid I would die with just retold stories and old knowledge within my mind. That is until I started losing my mind like my great aunt Bea. Now after traveling with you all, I have come to learn more about myself and that self-realization is freeing. I was meant to store the lore of the past, but not as recited by my people or recorded on the few preserved scraps of writings. My eyes have been opened to actual history. I can not wait to see what that book holds, and how its knowledge may change the stories we all held from earliest childhood. I realize when I die my name will likely be lost to the ages, but that future could be changed by our actions in a way that will be remembered for all time."

"You speak of fame and such. Something said earlier and this banner here have reminded me of the power of the group in history and not the sole individual. Do you remember stories of the Argent Seven or Grendel's Brigade? No one remembers the individuals, but as a force stories speak of how they fought back the evil that tried to gain a foothold in Myria before she became a world of ice. I say we have the power to be such a force. Thane Egrek may lose his name to time, but what he and his men accomplish for the Journey will likely last long into the future. The power of the force's name and the fur shawls we carried had power of their own. I say we create such a marker, and carry it with dignity and honor and bring fear to our enemies. Through that fear we can make a change."

24. - Top - End - #1284
    Orc in the Playground

Ingvar the Wolf

The silvery-maned hunter chuckles quietly before speaking. "Fame... fame will not put meat on your roasting-spit, nor water in your gullet, nor warmth in your bones. Fame will not protect you from your enemies' arrows, axes, and fangs. Fame is naught but a dream for the vain.... it means nothing to a hunter. And besides..." He laughs mirthlessly once more. "IF we succeed, and IF we survive, we shall not have witnesses. And if we tell the tale, we shall be nothing more than boastful fools." He looks pensive once more. "Nay. If we do this, it is because it NEEDS doing. That is my say on this."

25. - Top - End - #1285
    Orc in the Playground

"I guess you are correct. Only a fool seeks fame. But fame does seek those that do the impossible. The name Jyn does not have to be tied to grandeur for all time, but who does not truly live that does not want their deeds to mean something? You would not be here now if deeds did not speak volumes to your soul."

26. - Top - End - #1286
    Orc in the Playground

"That may be the case lorekeeper, but as you said yourself my part in these deeds will not be remembered and that is true. But what then are we doing it for? The 'need' to do it? For whom, for your people? If so, then it is a banner I cannot be under because I am a person no longer. Perhaps for all of Myria? I certainly doubt anyone is that worldly. Or what about the future?" She smiled, a cruel smile of someone who saw a great irony. "That is certainly the most noble of goals and certainly one you could all appreciate. Afterall, what better reward for your efforts than to see your children and grandchildren playing in grasses and warm sunshine? Where you must only gather food to weather the winter that would only come after many moons, rather than for tomorrow's famine?" Mynas looked into the distance, remembering Shatterhorn. "But even that would be an empty reward. Unlike the rest of you, I have no cause that I can follow... None that I can ever achieve... For that I am damned." She looked back at Faillune.
    "And it doesn't help that I have been crippled after this last battle. When you have rested, healed, and freed the pages of that script... You should go on without me. You need descend while those lizards are still unaware of our presence and spending several days trying to repair Faillune would mean you would lose your advantage. I am a greater liability than you want to admit, and even then, I have no place in the destiny of Myria."

27. - Top - End - #1287

Spoiler
    Show
    Just a note to Helfdan/Mynas/Noj: Your Prestige Class is linked on you using the Vial of Ancestors so I’m assuming you will use it.

Taking up the scimitar and finding the curved scabbard that it fits casually discarded behind the matching buckler, Noj attaches them to his belt.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The scimitar is a Mastercrafted weapon granting +2 to attack rolls. It changes direction so smoothly and easily that AoO made with it are at +4 to attack.

Ingvar meanwhile tests the play of the larger sword, although a weapon meant for much more brutal chopping skill in the hands was important for balance. Were the blade made of metal it would need perhaps half a year of practise, or the strength of a giant to wield it in one hand.
    However the blade shines glistens like water in the dark, it cuts like a fine metal wire and strangely the blade has fine layers, like grey slate stone has, but has been polished down so they are barely noticeable. The blade is not metal.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The bastard sword grants Exotic Weapon Feat: Bastard Sword to it’s wielder. It is Mastercrafted, granting +1 to attack rolls and +2 damage (that +2 damage ignores DR.)

Placed aside and forgotten by all except Mynas, the large leather map rests in the dust, the oil slowly drying.

The conversation drifts on as Noj plays with the small chains, Jyn looking over his shoulder to offer the occasional word of advise or to hold a tricky knot as his dextrous fingers weave around it. It is surprising how the intricate twists give small insights as they are discovered and unravelled.
    Perhaps something of the creator speaks through them, as patterns are found and small deceptions revealed - details of a much larger and complex puzzle.
    Spoiler
    Show
    You set about tracing the threads of chain through the knots, you achieve one success for the first hour’s work. I’ll make a note each time to spend an hour on the puzzle to accumulate another success.

In between you look around some more and find time to help each other read the other journals to see if they give you any insights.
    Your words hum in the thick stone room, muffled and deep but echoing and resonant as well, the open door makes the sounds disappear into the vast emptiness outside.

The Journals
    Last edited by Gygaxphobia; 2008-03-06 at 06:17 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #1288
    Orc in the Playground

Ingvar the Wolf

Ingvar mulls quietly for a while the words as Jyn translates them, his newly youthful features hardening as she speaks. He then walks to Thyr's side.

"Now, woman, I know you do not like me, e'en If I do not know why. But just this once, I will tell you my thoughts... do as you wish after you hear me. You spoke of reasons for doing things... the future... family... your tribe... Like yourself, I have none of these." He pauses briefly to make sure he has her attention.
    "Perhaps you should remember how we met. Some rat-humpers tried to loot a widow-woman's wagon, and hurt her child. I intervened. Now I am no saga-hero. I am no Jarl, or Huscarl. And she was nothing to me, as I had never before seen her. But someone had to help her. And I was closest."
    He seems to search for words.
    "By the Seven Dooms, but some things are just right. Some things must be done. And we are the only ones here. If you prefer to take pity on yourself...that is your business. But know that there is a task that needs doing, and that your right arm and courage could make the difference."
    He then smiles with surprising kindness.
    "I do not judge any other man, or woman. But think on my words, for you wil later be unable to avoid judging yourself."
    With that, he set about fashioning a sheath for his new sword from the lizard beasts' rags.

29. - Top - End - #1289
    Ogre in the Playground

Vesha just sits down and watches the rest talk. When Mynas tells how she has no reason to carry on, he simply smiles, but says nothing.

30. - Top - End - #1290
    Orc in the Playground

"Let me be the first to say the following: Stop acting like I am not here! I can hear you fine and honestly, what I hear doesn't please me in the slightest. Talk about being crippled. Your limbs are fine and you are no worse for wear than you were two winters. Cosmos, you're ahead of the game because your not running around naked like me..." Faillune pauses for a moment before adding. "Or the Lupin."
    "You... I thought you were once an extension of myself. Besides, the group can go a lot further if they don't have to be concerned with me or you."
    "Gah! I don't know whether you're selfish or lazy. These people don't give a horse's pile who or what you were. To them you're another right arm, just like the Lupin said. You and I both know that you're nothing compared to Epsin in the forge and although the lorekeeper may not be a Cadinoc renderer, she would go much further than you every could." Mynas looked away, clearly Faillune had struck a nerve.
    "Look forget what the Lupin said was right. Cosmos knows that 'right' may involve killing h~" Faillune stopped with Thyr glaring at it intensely. "Don't forget that I came to you for a reason. You knew it too, in your heart when you agreed to follow them this far. Their decisions are not strategically sound but just as I am carried by you, so too do they carry each other." Mynas pondered that.
    "So I really don't have a choice?"
    "The only choice you have is whether or not you follow this path. You've done it before at the night of the patriarch's ascension and downfall, so why turn away from it now? Even if we fail, at least you can be forgiven." Thyr looked at Ingvar and then at the rest of the cadre.
    "I'm staying then." She murmurred.