New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Zodi Plays: The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time (Adventures in early 3D video gam

WOMBAT'S TEMPLE ANALYSIS!

[Dodongo's Cavern]

Amidst the dangerous mountainside of Death Mountain lies the entrance to Dodongo's Cavern. For a long time, the Gorons have used the cavern as a mining facility. Through study of history, it is discovered that in centuries past this mountain once was under a different name - Eldin Mountain. At that time, it is theorized that the area that is used as the mine for the Gorons was once the revered Earth Temple. Perhaps the reason the rocks are so valuable to their pallet is that they have been fertilized by the waters of the sacred spring that the Earth Temple once protected. If this is true, logic suggests that the spring may still feed the fountain that is now the home of the Great Fairy at the summit of the mountain. With the seismic activity of the mountain, much of the evidence of the Earth Temple has been swallowed as caverns have shifted or mined by the Goron, or even the ebb and flow of the magma within. It is our duty as we explore the cavern to look for evidence of this temple, lost to the ravages of time.

Look & Feel - The cavern is immediately striking as one can see the remains of several large creatures being used as reinforcement for larger chambers or for a doorway to what must seal off more valuable areas. Some of these bones may have been from the Dodongos that inhabit the cavern, but others might have been excavated. If so, these bones might have been the same bonework found within the heights of the Earth Temple. Or, perhaps the Gorons were inspired by the original temple setup, as Goron's are known for their love of ancient studies. Either way, while the caverns feel dangerous, there is also a sense of control or tameness about them.

Despite the tameness, the cavern feels overall abandoned. As the Gorons have been driven out and sealed off from the mines, some of it has fallen into disrepair, such as the walkways above the main chamber and possibly other areas that seem impossible for a Gorons to travel. As evidenced by the doors link must blast to pass through, the reemergence of the dodongos have left the Gorons no choice but to seal up areas of the cavern with rock walls. It effectively keeps the dodongos from spreading, but it also cuts themselves off from the deeper reaches of the cavern.

Theme/Layout - It should be remembered the Gorons did not form all of the chambers of the cavern, simply expanded and reinforced them as they mined. Thus, many of the areas seem to be without a logical purpose for a mining facility, or of use to the Gorons. It should come with no surprise that the caverns are far from straight forward. Often the path doubles back on itself at a higher, out of reach point. This sprawling complex of passages must have allowed the Gorons to access much of the caverns as they mined, or perhaps created some of them to reach higher portions, as found with some of the scaffolding. A simple room that has newly flowing magma throughout it is a familiar one that is the only direct hint that this cavern may once have been the Earth Temple. It's hexagonal platforms in a grid like pattern are all that remain of the original temple, its metal morphed into stone from the ages, walls crumbled and lost to time.

Puzzles & Items - In this dungeon, the puzzles and item used in the dungeon really go hand in hand throughout. This is because the bomb flower and bomb bag are both tools the Gorons use to mine the cavern. The lack of any hand tools lead to the assumption that the Gorons use their bare hands to mine when not using bombs. Luckily, Link is not required to punch through solid earth to advance in the dungeon, and can use the mining tools to solve nearly every puzzle in question that does not revolve around defeating enemies. Several puzzles seem to be protective security features, such as the unlocking system for doors and blade traps in an area that must have been a exploratory mine looking for Sirloin Rock, judging from the square excavations. Others seem to be alien to a mining facility, or for the Gorons to have created. Perhaps these areas are remnants of the ancient Earth Temple, either implemented or uncovered through excavation.

Monsters/Boss - Many of the creatures in the caverns seem to be implemented as security features, perhaps to fight off the dodongos, which double as protection from anything not-Goron. The Beamos and Armos seem to be repurposed constructs from ancient times, claimed by the Gorons and used as makeshift protection. One will notice the dodongos are not present anywhere either construct exists. Some of the Armos have fallen into disrepair and only exist as statues, which the Goron have cleverly turned into security puzzles themselves, relying on pure strength AND wisdom to overcome. As with many subterranean caves, Dodongo's cavern also houses a plethora of natural enemies. Lizalfos again plague the hexagonal platform room. The Gorons have placed security measures to ensure that they cannot invade any more of the cavern: the doors lock when these creatures inhabit the room. Due to this, the Lizalfos must come from a attached cavern leading to a Lizalfos den, perhaps existing from their ancestors that once protected that same room. Most prevalent is that of the Keese and Fire Keese, whom were likely annoyances that the Gorons paid no heed, being that they are immune to fire. There are also the dodongos themselves that give the cavern its namesake. Its obvious that the dinosaurs are not extinct - the Gorons use their stomachs to make their Bomb Bags, and even their legendary Red Tunic. However, without their king, they were likely rarer and controllable. Now that Ganondorf has brought the Infernal Dinosaur back to life, the infestation has again filled the cavern, and driven out the Gorons.

King Dodongo is a formidable foe that left unchecked could destroy whole villages, perhaps even rupture the mountain side and causing new lava flows. He is well armored throughout his body, but with the Goron Special Crop, a weakness is revealed within him. King Dodongo seems to be the natural progression of age category, almost like a tadpole to frog progression - the baby dodongo has no legs, dodongos have two legs, and King Dodongo has 4 legs, and the ability to curl up in a ball and roll unlick the younger versions that drag themselves along the ground. Even despite his weakness, a simple bomb and sword combination is not enough to slay him, and only disorient. In the end, blinded by pain and exhaustion, King Dodongo's power is used against him as he careens into the lava from his rolling momentum. Once again he descends into the depths of the mountain, claiming another for its namesake - Death Mountain.
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2016-08-11 at 08:02 AM.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

2. - Top - End - #272
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Zodi Plays: The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time (Adventures in early 3D video gam

That is a damn good theory, presented very well, and with a really rad point to end on.

I'm really glad I have friends to do all the hard work I'd want to do anyway.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Pixie in the Playground

The overall game is defined with the kingdom of Hyrule. A youth named Link sets out on a pursuit to avoid the thief Ganondorf, the prime antagonist of the Legend of Zelda series, from acquiring the Triforce, a magical relic of omnipotent power, a function foretold with the prophetic Princess Zelda. Resulting from unforeseen circumstances, Ganondorf successfully obtains part of the Triforce. Link must amass the Six Medallions needed to defeat Ganondorf and restore peace to Hyrule, by traveling back and forth through time using the mythical Master Sword.

Ocarina of energy enjoyed wide critical acclaim and even commercial success. It includes sold over 7.6 million copies over its lifetime, and was one of the best-selling game in 1998, even outselling other hugely-anticipated games from that year just like Metal Gear Solid and Half-Life. It also received perfect scores from numerous gaming media publications, most notably Famitsu, and continued to place highly on the top several "greatest games in recent history" lists, including those from Gamespot, IGN and Nintendo Power Magazine.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rayquaza View Post
    The overall game is defined with the kingdom of Hyrule. A youth named Link sets out on a pursuit to avoid the thief Ganondorf, the prime antagonist of the Legend of Zelda series, from acquiring the Triforce, a magical relic of omnipotent power, a function foretold with the prophetic Princess Zelda. Resulting from unforeseen circumstances, Ganondorf successfully obtains part of the Triforce. Link must amass the Six Medallions needed to defeat Ganondorf and restore peace to Hyrule, by traveling back and forth through time using the mythical Master Sword.

Ocarina of energy enjoyed wide critical acclaim and even commercial success. It includes sold over 7.6 million copies over its lifetime, and was one of the best-selling game in 1998, even outselling other hugely-anticipated games from that year just like Metal Gear Solid and Half-Life. It also received perfect scores from numerous gaming media publications, most notably Famitsu, and continued to place highly on the top several "greatest games in recent history" lists, including those from Gamespot, IGN and Nintendo Power Magazine.
    https://xkcd.com/810/
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

5. - Top - End - #275

Get youself some galoshes we're going fishing.

Zodi Plays: The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time [20] Sad Windmill Man

Video Length: 24:01

Okay so this episode doesn't actually have MUCH to talk about, but it's got some important stuff at the same time so lets get going! Starting us off, we're going to be doing some fishing. The fishing minigame is both really neat, and also kind of clunky and bad. On the one hand...it IS a fishing minigame, and it's basically made as well as you can expect given the era. On the other hand...I mean, it's not super great and it takes forever to catch the fish you want once it's on the line. It takes like 5 minutes to reel the bloody thing in. At the end of the day, once you know the general secret to it, the fishing isn't that hard though. Just stay quiet so the fish don't run away or move, and try to cast to the exact center of the lake. The largest fish is always there and it's always 2 points over the current record. For beating the record in both times we get a Heart Piece and a Golden Scale. The Gold Scale is a handy thing that, overall, doesn't actually do anything important except for exactly one side quest. It has no required use beyond this.

After that, it's time to hunt for some Gold Skulltula's and some Heart Pieces. However, to do so, we must visit Kakariko. And after clearing the first three Temples, something happens in Kakariko! The entire place has been set ablaze and a fearsome shadow monster breaks free from the Well and attacks us, and Sheik is happens to be there! We couldn't do anything against it's invisible fury! Sheik tells us Impa is the Shadow Sage and went to fight this monster, to try and reseal it. I have a bad idea of how that's going to go down...and then the cutscene ends and everything is fine because the rain put out the fires and no one actually died or was injured. But given this game so far, I bet they had you worried! Sheik also teaches us the Nocturne of Shadow, which I think is probably my favorite song from a pure musical stand point, at least of the warp songs. It has this beautiful, ominous tone that just works for me, you know?

Anyway, it's time to face the Shadow Temple!...except not. You see, the Shadow Temple's gimmick is that it's very tricky. There are invisible things and invisible puzzle elements and it is, in general, just a very mysterious, shadow-y place. So until we find an eye that lets us see beyond the veil, we won't be able to do much of anything here. Now, I talked to some of the NPCs about this before, but you maaay recall that an old man mentioned that an old thief lived where the Well now stands, and that he apparently could see through walls. Well, lets see about exploring that! However...we can't do it as an adult, the well is closed up and broken down. So to the past we go. We play the Song of Storms for the Windmill Man, ruining his life forever more, which drains the well so we can get in. Unfortunately with all the collecting done this episode we don't have time for more than that. Like I said, short write up.

I hope you all enjoyed though. The next couple episodes are gonna be pretty good if I must say.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Zodi's Sounds (20)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Get youself some galoshes we're going fishing.

Zodi Plays: The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time [20] Sad Windmill Man

Video Length: 24:01

Okay so this episode doesn't actually have MUCH to talk about, but it's got some important stuff at the same time so lets get going! Starting us off, we're going to be doing some fishing. The fishing minigame is both really neat, and also kind of clunky and bad. On the one hand...it IS a fishing minigame, and it's basically made as well as you can expect given the era. On the other hand...I mean, it's not super great and it takes forever to catch the fish you want once it's on the line. It takes like 5 minutes to reel the bloody thing in. At the end of the day, once you know the general secret to it, the fishing isn't that hard though. Just stay quiet so the fish don't run away or move, and try to cast to the exact center of the lake. The largest fish is always there and it's always 2 points over the current record. For beating the record in both times we get a Heart Piece and a Golden Scale. The Gold Scale is a handy thing that, overall, doesn't actually do anything important except for exactly one side quest. It has no required use beyond this.

After that, it's time to hunt for some Gold Skulltula's and some Heart Pieces. However, to do so, we must visit Kakariko. And after clearing the first three Temples, something happens in Kakariko! The entire place has been set ablaze and a fearsome shadow monster breaks free from the Well and attacks us, and Sheik is happens to be there! We couldn't do anything against it's invisible fury! Sheik tells us Impa is the Shadow Sage and went to fight this monster, to try and reseal it. I have a bad idea of how that's going to go down...and then the cutscene ends and everything is fine because the rain put out the fires and no one actually died or was injured. But given this game so far, I bet they had you worried! Sheik also teaches us the Nocturne of Shadow, which I think is probably my favorite song from a pure musical stand point, at least of the warp songs. It has this beautiful, ominous tone that just works for me, you know?

Anyway, it's time to face the Shadow Temple!...except not. You see, the Shadow Temple's gimmick is that it's very tricky. There are invisible things and invisible puzzle elements and it is, in general, just a very mysterious, shadow-y place. So until we find an eye that lets us see beyond the veil, we won't be able to do much of anything here. Now, I talked to some of the NPCs about this before, but you maaay recall that an old man mentioned that an old thief lived where the Well now stands, and that he apparently could see through walls. Well, lets see about exploring that! However...we can't do it as an adult, the well is closed up and broken down. So to the past we go. We play the Song of Storms for the Windmill Man, ruining his life forever more, which drains the well so we can get in. Unfortunately with all the collecting done this episode we don't have time for more than that. Like I said, short write up.

I hope you all enjoyed though. The next couple episodes are gonna be pretty good if I must say.

Off the bat, I used to turn on the game for hours just for fishing. I bought the wii version of Twilight Princess so I could do the motion control fishing. Also, you missed getting the second Lure! But you did get the hat. Well done.

Now to the attack on Kakariko. Those fires don't get put out by the rain. The villagers quench the fires working together while you are unconscious. Talk to them as an adult and their dialogue has changed.

The frog game is easier on the N64 controller. This didn't translate great into this game.

And you have one episode until your caught up to my remakes of this game I started nearly a year ago. I guess that comes with making versus playing.

EPISODE 20 KILL TALLY!

Gold Skulltula - 15
    Skullwalltula - 1
    Red Bubble - 1
    Club Moblin - 1
    Big Skulltula - 1

Style Points - 0

Missed Rupees - 0
    Lost Rupees (theft, overflow, ect.) - 0

Temple Analysis
    Inside the Deku Tree | Dodongo's Cavern | Inside Jabu-Jabu's Belly
    Forest Temple | Fire Temple | Water Temple

Ocarina of Time
    Total Kills
    (As of Episode 20)

Spoiler
    Show
    Deku Scrubs, Mad - 7
    Fire Dancer - 2
    Freezard - 10
    Guay - 2
    Lizalfos - 4
    Morpha - 1
    Shaboom - 19
    Stinger - 11
    Tailpasaran - 5
    Torch Slug - 11
    Volvagia - 1

Baba
    Deku Baba - 19
    Deku Baba, Big - 5

Bari
    Biri - 20
    Bari - 12
    Barinade - 1

Blin
    Moblin - 5
    Moblin, Club - 2

Constructs
    Armos - 4
    Beamos - 3

Dinosaurs
    Dodongos, Baby - 12
    Dodongos - 3
    King Dodongo - 1

Hands
    Floormaster - 1
    Wallmaster - 1

Keese
    Keese - 21
    Keese, Fire - 14
    Keese, Ice - 5

Mimics
    Dark Link - 1
    Like Like - 3
    Mimic, Door - 2

Mollusks
    Shell Blades - 8
    Spikes - 11

Octoroks
    Octoroks - 11
    Octoroks, Big - 1

Peahats
    Peahat Larvae - 2
    Peahats - 1

Poes
    Sharpe - 1
    Flat - 1
    Joelle - 1
    Beth - 1
    Amy - 1
    Meg - 1
    Poes - 6
    Poes, Field - 1
    Poes, Big - 10
    Phantom Ganon - 1

Stal
    Bubble, Blue - 7
    Bubble, Green - 4
    Bubble, Red - 1
    ReDeads - 8
    Stalchildren - 33
    Stalfos - 5

Tektites
    Tektites, Red - 7
    Tektites, Blue - 24

Tula
    Gohma Eggs - 2
    Gohma Larvas - 1
    Gohma - 1
    Skulltula, Big - 21
    Skulltula, Gold - 72
    Skullwalltula - 12

Wolfos
    Wolfos - 5
    Wolfos, White - 1

Total Things Dead - 471

1st Place - Gold Skulltula, at 72!
    2nd Place - Stalchildren, at 33!
    3rd Place - Blue Tektites, at 24!

Total Style Points - 10

Total Missed Rupees - 55
    Total Lost Rupees - 7
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2016-08-13 at 12:10 AM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic

7. - Top - End - #277

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    Now to the attack on Kakariko. Those fires don't get put out by the rain. The villagers quench the fires working together while you are unconscious. Talk to them as an adult and their dialogue has changed.
    Oh cool! I didn't know or notice that. Sometimes the constraints of "having to record for the internet" bites me.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Zodi Plays: Skultula Collection (plus some other stuff...)

Lots of spiders today... You're making me double-check the locations on some of them, Zodi. But I thiiink I got them all down properly. So, all good.

Spoiler: All that glitters is apparently spiders...
    Show
    Skultula Number Location Video Number Time
    1 Deku Tree 1 23:51
    2 Deku Tree 2 0:25
    3 Deku Tree 2 0:46
    4 Castle Town 2 20:04
    5 Hyrule Field 2 24:51
    6 Kakariko Village 4 20:04
    6 Kakariko Village 4 21:34
    8 Kakariko Village 4 22:21
    9 Kakariko Village 5 0:04
    10 Dodongo's Cavern 5 21:58
    11 Dodongo's Cavern 6 5:00
    12 Dodongo's Cavern 6 16:34
    13 Death Mountain 6 22:23
    14 Death Mountain Crater 7 8:13
    15 Zora's River 7 11:39
    16 Inside Jabu-Jabu's Belly 8 12:32
    17 Inside Jabu-Jabu's Belly 8 21:51
    18 Inside Jabu-Jabu's Belly 8 22:07
    19 Inside Jabu-Jabu's Belly 9 6:13
    20 Zora's River 10 1:38
    21 Zora's Fountain 10 1:51
    22 Lake Hylia 10 3:40
    23 Lake Hylia 10 4:29
    24 Kakariko Village 10 4:42
    25 Kakariko Graveyard 10 5:51
    26 Kakariko Graveyard 10 8:39
    27 Hyrule Field 10 9:10
    28 Kokiri Village 10 10:57
    29 Kokiri Village 10 11:02
    30 Deku Tree 10 11:35
    31 Lost Woods 10 12:22
    32 Lost Woods 10 13:29
    33 Goron Village 10 15:57
    34 Death Mountain Trail 10 16:16
    35 Dodongo's Cavern 10 16:45
    36 Lon Lon Ranch 10 20:38
    37 Lon Lon Ranch 10 20:48
    38 Lon Lon Ranch 10 20:48
    39 Lon Lon Ranch 10 21:05
    40 Lon Lon Ranch 10 21:52
    41 Hyrule Field 10 23:35
    42 Forest Temple 12 10:11
    43 Forest Temple 12 19:43
    44 Forest Temple 13 0:05
    45 Forest Temple 13 9:03
    46 Forest Temple 13 17:49
    47 Goron City 14 18:41
    48 Fire Temple 15 8:56
    49 Fire Temple 16 13:07
    50 Ice Cavern 17 12:07
    51 Ice Cavern 17 18:07
    52 Ice Cavern 17 19:07
    53 Lake Hylia 18 3:14
    54 Water Temple 18 13:11
    55 Water Temple 19 2:41
    56 Water Temple 19 8:56
    57 Water Temple 19 14:18
    58 Water Temple 19 15:36
    59 Fire Temple 20 12:14
    60 Hyrule Castle 20 13:05
    61 Fire Temple 20 13:40
    62 Fire Temple 20 14:38
    63 Fire Temple 20 15:02
    64 Lost Woods 20 16:01
    65 Lost Woods 20 16:11
    66 Kokiri Village 20 16:22
    67 Kakariko Village 20 16:40
    68 Death Mountain 20 18:01
    69 Death Mountain 20 18:08
    70 Ice Cavern 20 18:14
    71 Zora's River 20 18:21
    72 Zora's River 20 18:28
    73 Lake Hylia 20 18:36

Except... we have a problem. The cursed person who tells you how many Skultulas you've destroyed, has only counted 72. Wombat and I both have 73. This matches the discrepancy that we noticed from your house, when you returned to it as an adult. So, somewhere, unless the game is being glitchy, you managed to do something to lose your progress of getting one of the first 41 spiders. Which... unfortunately, doesn't narrow it down much, seeing as how it was the video right after a collectathon.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

9. - Top - End - #279

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Lots of spiders today... You're making me double-check the locations on some of them, Zodi. But I thiiink I got them all down properly. So, all good.

Show
    38 Lon Lon Ranch 10 20:48
    39 Lon Lon Ranch 10 21:05
    40 Lon Lon Ranch 10 21:52
    41 Hyrule Field 10 23:35
    42 Forest Temple 12 10:11
    43 Forest Temple 12 19:43
    44 Forest Temple 13 0:05
    45 Forest Temple 13 9:03
    46 Forest Temple 13 17:49
    47 Goron City 14 18:41
    48 Fire Temple 15 8:56
    49 Fire Temple 16 13:07
    50 Ice Cavern 17 12:07
    51 Ice Cavern 17 18:07
    52 Ice Cavern 17 19:07
    53 Lake Hylia 18 3:14
    54 Water Temple 18 13:11
    55 Water Temple 19 2:41
    56 Water Temple 19 8:56
    57 Water Temple 19 14:18
    58 Water Temple 19 15:36
    59 Fire Temple 20 12:14
    60 Hyrule Castle 20 13:05
    61 Fire Temple 20 13:40
    62 Fire Temple 20 14:38
    63 Fire Temple 20 15:02
    64 Lost Woods 20 16:01
    65 Lost Woods 20 16:11
    66 Kokiri Village 20 16:22
    67 Kakariko Village 20 16:40
    68 Death Mountain 20 18:01
    69 Death Mountain 20 18:08
    70 Ice Cavern 20 18:14
    71 Zora's River 20 18:21
    72 Zora's River 20 18:28
    73 Lake Hylia 20 18:36

Except... we have a problem. The cursed person who tells you how many Skultulas you've destroyed, has only counted 72. Wombat and I both have 73. This matches the discrepancy that we noticed from your house, when you returned to it as an adult. So, somewhere, unless the game is being glitchy, you managed to do something to lose your progress of getting one of the first 41 spiders. Which... unfortunately, doesn't narrow it down much, seeing as how it was the video right after a collectathon.
    Don't worry I think I figured it out. We're all dumb and counted a Skulltula that I didn't actually get when I went to the Fairy Fountain in Zora's Domain. We think I have it but I don't.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Troll in the Playground

Don't worry I think I figured it out. We're all dumb and counted a Skulltula that I didn't actually get when I went to the Fairy Fountain in Zora's Domain. We think I have it but I don't.
    Oh, okay. Well, as long as you don't have to go searching all 41 locations again, I can live with being dumb.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    Not quite there yet, I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rayquaza View Post

Not sure if bot, trolling, or actually legit...

It does seem to have been run through Bablefish a time or two, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

13. - Top - End - #283
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Not sure if bot, trolling, or actually legit...

It does seem to have been run through Bablefish a time or two, though.
    Bot. There's been a rash of them taking previous posts in threads, and then changing most words to a synonym. This one seems to have taken it one step further, and gotten 'relevant' information from elsewhere on the internet, rather than earlier threads (it's a bit of a hobby of mine to see just how spambots are progressing, as we develop countermeasures, so I waste my time figuring this stuff out). I don't know whether this development should be worrying or lauded.

From Zeldapedia's Ocarina of Time article:

The game is set in the kingdom of Hyrule. A youth named Link sets out on a quest to prevent the thief Ganondorf, the prime antagonist of the Legend of Zelda series, from obtaining the Triforce, a magical relic of omnipotent power, an event foretold by the prophetic Princess Zelda. Due to unforeseen circumstances, Ganondorf successfully obtains part of the Triforce. By traveling back and forth through time using the mythical Master Sword, Link must amass the Six Medallions needed to defeat Ganondorf and restore peace to Hyrule.

Ocarina of Time enjoyed wide critical acclaim as well as commercial success. It has sold over 7.6 million copies over its lifetime, and was the best-selling game in 1998, even outselling other hugely-anticipated games from that year such as Metal Gear Solid and Half-Life. It also received perfect scores from numerous gaming media publications, most notably Famitsu, and went on to place highly on top several "greatest games of all time" lists, including those from Gamespot, IGN and Nintendo Power Magazine.
    (As I said... I waste my time on this stuff. I find it fascinating.)

14. - Top - End - #284
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

Okay. So... Do the Gerudo have advanced surgery that allows for bone marrow pregnancies?
    Follow-up. The way I got past most of the guards when freeing the carpenters was by shooting them in the head with my bow.
    And... They asked me to join them?
    I mean, I guess they had a lot of vacancies.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Indarra View Post
    Okay. So... Do the Gerudo have advanced surgery that allows for bone marrow pregnancies?
    Follow-up. The way I got past most of the guards when freeing the carpenters was by shooting them in the head with my bow.
    Ganondorf's mothers are approximately four hundred years old. There's no indication that this is due to some one-of-a-kind super artifact like the G-man's immortality, so it's not inconceivable to think maybe previous males have lived for longer than the gap between male births too.

Of course, the game also says that Gerudo women go to Hyrule Market Town to find boyfriends. Hylians and Gerudo can almost certainly interbreed, given the humans in later eras have lost the pointy ears and some have very distinctive Gerudo features.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2016-08-14 at 07:56 PM.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

16. - Top - End - #286

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Indarra View Post
    They're p. tough. An arrow in the head only knocks them out after all.

17. - Top - End - #287

Time for a spooky scary episode!

Zodi Plays: The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time [21] Dead Hand

Video Length: 22:30

In this episode we tackle the mini-dungeon like area "Beneath the Well". It's full of tricks and traps and general rudeness that will serve to prepare us for the Shadow Temple proper, so lets dive right in. I sadly don't have much to say because again, since this is basically a dungeon/temple I don't want to go room by room, but I do have some specific stuff to say. For instance, we've got one new enemy! It's a Gibdo! It's...a reskinned redead and that's literally it in this game. No differences at all, I'm pretty sure it even has the same stats.

So, I said I has some specific stuff to talk about. Well...lets look at the first room we really go into, with all the coffins. This is a REALLY good puzzle room. On the one hand it's really not that big a deal, you see a lit torch and a bunch of unlit torches, what are you going to do? It's obvious. But looking at the room itself, you can see more clues telling you what to do. The coffin near the lit torch is opened, which shows what lighting the torch WILL do, and showing much more clearly then just "having torches around" that yes, this is a puzzle you must do. It's a really good bit of game design if I must say.

Once we've fought our way through some baddies, fell through some invisible holes, and generally just had a good time exploring the torture dungeon underneath the well, it's time to fight the boss of the area. Say hello to genuinely one of the creepiest things I've seen in a game, The Dead Hand. An undead abomination created from an infinite number of corpse hands, the mushed up together flesh of many, MANY executed criminals, tortured war prisoners, and likely a few dead ninjas. It's a really frustrating and intense boss fight. All the guy does to attack you is shuffle up to you, lower down his head, and try to take a bite. If you're calm you'll be able to react to this, and after a few swings he'll sink into the earth, which can damage you as well. The only way, for now, to get him to pop up is to let one of his hands grab you, holding you in place. It's pretty damn freaky. But with courage in our hearts, we slay the monster, and are rewarded with the Lens of Truth! This magical magnifying glass reveals the hidden world to us, invisible objects and fake walls. It will be vital to our quest, and with it in hand we'll be able to pierce the darkness of the Shadow Temple.

And really, that's basically it for this video. Hope you guys enjoyed, I'll see you all next time.

18. - Top - End - #288

While I'm sure a dungeon write up will eventually be done that goes into more depth, it's worth noting this place actually does feel like a thieve's hideout. Remember we got directed here by rumors about a thief whose house burned down who could see through walls? We're literally raiding the remains of his home. That's why there's so many random little items strewn throughout the dungeon, spoils of years of raiding Kakario. I also strongly suspect that even if Dead Hands is made up of the bodies of numerous unfortunates, the spirit animating it is the spirit of our thief, guarding his most prized posessions (the Lens of Truth that made him so successful and the lion's share of his cash)

19. - Top - End - #289

While I'm sure a dungeon write up will eventually be done that goes into more depth, it's worth noting this place actually does feel like a thieve's hideout. Remember we got directed here by rumors about a thief whose house burned down who could see through walls? We're literally raiding the remains of his home. That's why there's so many random little items strewn throughout the dungeon, spoils of years of raiding Kakario. I also strongly suspect that even if Dead Hands is made up of the bodies of numerous unfortunates, the spirit animating it is the spirit of our thief, guarding his most prized posessions (the Lens of Truth that made him so successful and the lion's share of his cash)
    Most of what you said is true but...I'm going to hold "the Dead Hand is powered by the Thief" in contention, and make note of why in a laaater videoooo.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

The tempo after you become an adult is slightly different, I've found. Before, it is 'plot -> temple -> item get -> plot'. As an adult, there's almost always a mini dungeon or area to go to to get an item to get to the next dungeon.

For example. Before you could go to the wood temple, you had to go visit Dampe and get the hookshot. Before you could visit the fire temple, you had to meet the cute kid goron. Before you can progress to the water temple, you had to do the ice dungeon. Before you can make any kind of progress in the shadow temple, you have to first go through the under the well dungeon.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

21. - Top - End - #291
    Troll in the Playground

So, do Gibidos get stunned by the Sun's Song, too?

Show
    38 Lon Lon Ranch 10 21:05
    39 Lon Lon Ranch 10 21:52
    40 Hyrule Field 10 23:35
    41 Forest Temple 12 10:11
    42 Forest Temple 12 19:43
    43 Forest Temple 13 0:05
    44 Forest Temple 13 9:03
    45 Forest Temple 13 17:49
    46 Goron City 14 18:41
    47 Fire Temple 15 8:56
    48 Fire Temple 16 13:07
    49 Ice Cavern 17 12:07
    50 Ice Cavern 17 18:07
    51 Ice Cavern 17 19:07
    52 Lake Hylia 18 3:14
    53 Water Temple 18 13:11
    54 Water Temple 19 2:41
    55 Water Temple 19 8:56
    56 Water Temple 19 14:18
    57 Water Temple 19 15:36
    58 Fire Temple 20 12:14
    59 Hyrule Castle 20 13:05
    60 Fire Temple 20 13:40
    61 Fire Temple 20 14:38
    62 Fire Temple 20 15:02
    63 Lost Woods 20 16:01
    64 Lost Woods 20 16:11
    65 Kokiri Village 20 16:22
    66 Kakariko Village 20 16:40
    67 Death Mountain 20 18:01
    68 Death Mountain 20 18:08
    69 Ice Cavern 20 18:14
    70 Zora's River 20 18:21
    71 Zora's River 20 18:28
    72 Lake Hylia 20 18:36
    73 Beneath the Well 21 17:47
    74 Beneath the Well 21 19:30
    75 Beneath the Well 21 21:11

Also! Found my table error! I did a dumb, and turns out I'd accidentally pasted one of the Lon Lon Ranch Skultulas twice. This is when I'm really glad I have timestamps, because I went back to re-watch (because I was sure that I only record once you actually get the token) and noticed two of the links were the same time. Whoops...

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ettin in the Playground

You mean someone reads my dungeon write ups other than Zodi!? Woooo. Yes I'll be doing the Bottom of the Well, but not the ice cavern.

Spoiler: Zodi's Sounds (21)
    Show
    Time for a spooky scary episode!

Zodi Plays: The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time [21] Dead Hand

Video Length: 22:30

In this episode we tackle the mini-dungeon like area "Beneath the Well". It's full of tricks and traps and general rudeness that will serve to prepare us for the Shadow Temple proper, so lets dive right in. I sadly don't have much to say because again, since this is basically a dungeon/temple I don't want to go room by room, but I do have some specific stuff to say. For instance, we've got one new enemy! It's a Gibdo! It's...a reskinned redead and that's literally it in this game. No differences at all, I'm pretty sure it even has the same stats.

So, I said I has some specific stuff to talk about. Well...lets look at the first room we really go into, with all the coffins. This is a REALLY good puzzle room. On the one hand it's really not that big a deal, you see a lit torch and a bunch of unlit torches, what are you going to do? It's obvious. But looking at the room itself, you can see more clues telling you what to do. The coffin near the lit torch is opened, which shows what lighting the torch WILL do, and showing much more clearly then just "having torches around" that yes, this is a puzzle you must do. It's a really good bit of game design if I must say.

Once we've fought our way through some baddies, fell through some invisible holes, and generally just had a good time exploring the torture dungeon underneath the well, it's time to fight the boss of the area. Say hello to genuinely one of the creepiest things I've seen in a game, The Dead Hand. An undead abomination created from an infinite number of corpse hands, the mushed up together flesh of many, MANY executed criminals, tortured war prisoners, and likely a few dead ninjas. It's a really frustrating and intense boss fight. All the guy does to attack you is shuffle up to you, lower down his head, and try to take a bite. If you're calm you'll be able to react to this, and after a few swings he'll sink into the earth, which can damage you as well. The only way, for now, to get him to pop up is to let one of his hands grab you, holding you in place. It's pretty damn freaky. But with courage in our hearts, we slay the monster, and are rewarded with the Lens of Truth! This magical magnifying glass reveals the hidden world to us, invisible objects and fake walls. It will be vital to our quest, and with it in hand we'll be able to pierce the darkness of the Shadow Temple.

And really, that's basically it for this video. Hope you guys enjoyed, I'll see you all next time.

I love the bottom of the well. Secrets all over. Clever design. Seems bigger than it really is.

Now I know what you meant by lighting the whole room on fire in the well, and oh man was that fun to watch.

Overall, not bad in the falling to the bottom, save the fact that you didn't fall down the right hole that takes you to a ledge with money on it. Which you revealed in the fast forward portion of the bottom section, so I have to count them as missed, but at least it isn't ALL of them. However, those money chests will cost you overflow....nothing near what some previous titles have given you!

EPISODE 21 KILL TALLY!

Gibdo - 2
    Fire Keese - 7
    Keese - 6
    Big Skulltula - 6
    ReDead - 2
    Dead Hand - 1
    Beamos - 1
    Like Like - 1
    Gold Skulltula - 3
    Deku Baba - 1
    Green Bubble - 1

Style Points - 0

Missed Rupees - 15
    Lost Rupees (theft, overflow, ect.) - 119

Temple Analysis
    Inside the Deku Tree | Dodongo's Cavern | Inside Jabu-Jabu's Belly
    Forest Temple | Fire Temple | Water Temple

Ocarina of Time
    Total Kills
    (As of Episode 20)

Spoiler
    Show
    Deku Scrubs, Mad - 7
    Fire Dancer - 2
    Freezard - 10
    Guay - 2
    Lizalfos - 4
    Morpha - 1
    Shaboom - 19
    Stinger - 11
    Tailpasaran - 5
    Torch Slug - 11
    Volvagia - 1

Baba
    Deku Baba - 20
    Deku Baba, Big - 5

Bari
    Biri - 20
    Bari - 12
    Barinade - 1

Blin
    Moblin - 5
    Moblin, Club - 2

Constructs
    Armos - 4
    Beamos - 4

Dinosaurs
    Dodongos, Baby - 12
    Dodongos - 3
    King Dodongo - 1

Hands
    Floormaster - 1
    Wallmaster - 1
    Dead Hand - 1

Keese
    Keese - 27
    Keese, Fire - 21
    Keese, Ice - 5

Mimics
    Dark Link - 1
    Like Like - 4
    Mimic, Door - 2

Mollusks
    Shell Blades - 8
    Spikes - 11

Octoroks
    Octoroks - 11
    Octoroks, Big - 1

Peahats
    Peahat Larvae - 2
    Peahats - 1

Poes
    Sharpe - 1
    Flat - 1
    Joelle - 1
    Beth - 1
    Amy - 1
    Meg - 1
    Poes - 6
    Poes, Field - 1
    Poes, Big - 10
    Phantom Ganon - 1

Stal
    Bubble, Blue - 7
    Bubble, Green - 5
    Bubble, Red - 1
    Gibdo - 2
    ReDeads - 10
    Stalchildren - 33
    Stalfos - 5

Tektites
    Tektites, Red - 7
    Tektites, Blue - 24

Tula
    Gohma Eggs - 2
    Gohma Larvas - 1
    Gohma - 1
    Skulltula, Big - 27
    Skulltula, Gold - 75
    Skullwalltula - 12

Wolfos
    Wolfos - 5
    Wolfos, White - 1

Total Things Dead - 502

1st Place - Gold Skulltula, at 75!
    2nd Place - Stalchildren, at 33!
    3rd Place - Keese, at 27!

Total Style Points - 10

Total Missed Rupees - 70
    Total Lost Rupees - 126

World Building Projects:
    Magic

23. - Top - End - #293
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    You mean someone reads my dungeon write ups other than Zodi!? Woooo.
    You can add another someone to that list.

I'm just really bad at actually commenting on things...

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ettin in the Playground

I've been too busy to follow everything and post, but I can't miss my favorite dungeon in the game!

Actually, I think the only places I like better than the bottom of the well are the actual shadow temple itself and maybe the forest temple. Both of those are really well-done and suitably eerie.
    A few odds and ends.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

That symbol on the deku shield.

it matches the gold stuff on the sacred stone of the forest.

That's neat.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

26. - Top - End - #296

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    That symbol on the deku shield.

it matches the gold stuff on the sacred stone of the forest.

That's neat.
    It is actually, and that's super cool. It shows that every race that has one of the Sacred Stones has that symbol somewhere. Thanks for sharing.

Speaking of sharing, the Patron funded Elgato HD Game Capture unit has arrived, and I recorded a quick fight in Custom Robo as a sort of test drive. Check it out here!

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

Its time I catch up on this, since I've had other things to do lately.

16:
    oh, yeh, these fire traps are good at getting ya.

now we just need Link and Mario to have a hammer duel.

the irony gods hate you this day indeed.

and cool strike with the hammer.....right into the lava. the lets play curse strikes again.

@ the part where Link just starts hammering at a lava pit while rocks are falling:
    *sings* I'mma working at the smelt forge....aaaaall the live-long day.....

Yup, more evidence for musical prayer thanks theory, thanks to this fairy.

17:
    hm, purple text. I could get used to it.

and here we have Zodi's capture of a big poe, thats the darn biggest I've ever seen caught. I'd say thats a keeper on the wall at the lodge, don'cha know.'

red ice? what, was is it frozen kool-aid or something? you need blue fire....so you need VERY hot fire to melt frozen kool-aid in Hyrule?

heh, purple rupee for a purple texted one.

Heh....the Serenade of Water was used in Song of Storms remix in smash bros....as a slow part after the big drumlike stormy sounding part. sounds just as good as it did then.

now if a Like-Like ate your blue tunic while underwater, THAT would be scary.

18:
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, the expression on Link's face as he finds Ruto. its priceless. its like "noooooo she remembered! not this again!"

19:
    and theres that like-like, and of course doing the smart thing: not engaging it in melee. followed up by unfortunate rupee on spike.

so, this dark link gets tougher, the tougher you are? truly a boss to test any players skill.

.....so you remembered and did all that....but forgot that ONE key at the end *clap clap* the lets play curse strikes again!

as for that last room....well. its the water boss. if we know anything about water as an element, its that its tricksy, lying and doesn't play fair. so. there you go. though they could've switch Dark Link and the amoeba as final/sub bosses

20:
    Poor windmill man.

21:
    man I dislike dark areas in videogames like this. its always hard to see what I'm doing, and it makes everything feel slower for some reason.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

28. - Top - End - #298

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Its time I catch up on this, since I've had other things to do lately.

Heh....the Serenade of Water was used in Song of Storms remix in smash bros....as a slow part after the big drumlike stormy sounding part. sounds just as good as it did then.

now if a Like-Like ate your blue tunic while underwater, THAT would be scary.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, the expression on Link's face as he finds Ruto. its priceless. its like "noooooo she remembered! not this again!"

.....so you remembered and did all that....but forgot that ONE key at the end *clap clap* the lets play curse strikes again!

man I dislike dark areas in videogames like this. its always hard to see what I'm doing, and it makes everything feel slower for some reason.
    Glad to see you back, been wondering where your posts had been!

The song you're thinking of is actually a huge medly of other Zelda songs. It's got some Tal Tal Heights in there as well.

I'm actually not sure if Like Like's can function underwater in this game. If they CAN, stealing your Zora's Tunic would be horrifying.

Anyone who tells you Link is a blank slate character with no emotion hasn't played any of the good Zelda games.

THAT ONE KEY.

Darkness is forboding and "heavy" for lack of a better term, so you'll feel slower in it then other, lighter colours and tones.

29. - Top - End - #299

Knock knock, it's time for a fright. Shadow Temple lets go!

Zodi Plays: The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time [22] Spirits That Whisper

24:30

Starting us off today, we're back to the Shadow Temple. This time we're ready to actually do it, so...lets do so! The mysterious tricks and traps of the place are revealed to us using the Lens of Truth, letting us see the Skull of Truth as well as find a secret entrance to a mausoleum of skulls, some of which glow with power and say words. This is a place of secret bloodshed and greed. Throughout this entire Temple you can see evidence that it's been...misused, for lack of a better term. The other temples so far have been ancient buildings or places the races used for tests of courage and wisdom, but this? This is a big spooky place filled with tricks to keep people out...and to keep people in. There's a lot of theories about this place, and most of them basically boil down to one thing. Criminals and prisoners of war were tortured, killed, and dumped here. This is also the Sheikah burial ground, and given the power of this Tribe of Shadow...it's likely that after the Hyrule Civil War they were cut down in secret to ensure this race of ninjas didn't become a liability. There's a reason why Impa and Sheik are the only Sheikah that remain, after all. Throughout the Temple you'll see signs of this, up to certain doors looking more like normal doors in areas where you'd expect regular people to go, and the ominous sliding doors in areas that are hidden, secret, and have a feel of darkness to them.

It's safe to say that the Shadow Temple is pretty fantastic on an aesthetic level, so lets talk about it a bit mechanically. It's more focused on navigating it's puzzles then really fighting, though it does have a surplus of Stalfos to throw at us, as well as some Keese. It has Gibdo's and Floormasters as well, and the occasional Wallmaster. This Temple actually features NO new enemies, and that's pretty interesting. Meanwhile, it has puzzles like "find the invisible platform" and "avoid the invisible spikes" and "blow up a cool skull pot". It's all over the place but in a good way, and I feel it really presents itself well. The only problem is that it's dungeon item is...less than perfect. It is the Hover Boots, which give us super duper ice slipping powers at all times, but also lets us hover briefly in the air when we walk out over a ledge. The so called sacred feet! This'll be useful for some of the trickier jumps, and some minor assistance during the boss, but overall isn't that useful. I feel like they could of switched the locations of the Lens of Truth with the Hover Boots, maybe switched the puzzles around a little bit, and it would of been fine.

Speaking of fine, during this Temple we are using the Giant Knife! Though uh...after a few swings it aint looking so giant any more, and it's clearly not much of a knife. So yeah, Medi Goron, the one that made that knife for us...he's not actually that good at it! The Giant Knife can only be hit into something maybe...20 times, I believe, before it shatters and you need to buy a new one. What shoddy craftsmanship! At some point we'll have to see about getting something sturdier built, if only we knew how...ah well, that'll be for another time.

Finally, we get the final(ish) bit of lip service towards the idea of their being a Wind Temple. We see these gargoyle lookin' fans that blow us around, which...doesn't really fit the aesthetic of the Shadow Temple at all? These are assets that would clearly be used in the Wind Temple. There's nothing really tying them to the Forest Temple (for now...) but they clearly don't belong here so...yeah. That's a thing.

But yes that'll be all for my write up. Hope you guys have enjoyed, I'll see you all next time, where we'll fight the boss and it'll be cool and fun and nice and no one will get crushed to death.

30. - Top - End - #300

The Shadow Temple is actually probably my least favorite temple. It's by far the least memorable to me. Except for the boss which is totally awesome (more on that when we get there). Like going into this off memory, I actually thought Under the Well WAS the Shadow Temple. Like I remember having to go back as a kid to get the eye of truth... I just also thought I remembered doing the entire temple as kid link. It makes no sense because I know for a fact the boss involves using arrows which you cannot use as a child; but this was my actual thought. So the Shadow Temple itself is kind of just a big hole of "whatever" in my memory. (For what it's worth I also thought the Hover Boots were in the next dungeon, even though I do know the item we get there and it is 10x cooler, I seem to remember using them fairly frequently there).