New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 22 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default [IC I] Settlers of Arcadia

Settlers of Arcadia
    Or, "All Your Lands Are Belong To Us"

15 Erastus 4714 – It was a glorious summer day with a wonderful easterly breeze and a warm sun shining down when three galleons set sail from the port of Augustana. Five members of the Marius family and one mercenary were joined by several hundred settlers, a few soldiers, and sundry others, eager to start a new life in far-off Arcadia. The passengers, evenly spread between the Falcon, Nereid’s Harp, and Seasprite, were packed snugly – but comfortably – for the expected two-to-three month long voyage. The ships were commanded by Captains Drask, Harding, and Blitz, respectively.

The Falcon’s Captain Drask was a dark-haired man in his mid-forties who kept a tight ship, and while he asked much of his crew, he treated all who worked hard fairly. Captain Harding of the Nereid’s Harp was a cheerful woman in her mid-thirties. She had long, golden hair tied in a ponytail, bright blue eyes, and a scar that ran from above her right eyebrow down to her chin, the only physical characteristic marring her beauty. She’d never tired of telling how she’d earned the scar, fighting off pirates in the Inner Sea alongside the third captain, Blitz. Blitz was a gnome, standing a mere three feet in height with grey hair and soulful green eyes.. Uncharacteristically reserved for a gnome, he was incredibly polite, though firm with his crew, and most of all, very patient. Quite the opposite of Captain Harding (who was rather impetuous and eager for a fight), Captain Blitz would size up the enemy, sailing his Seasprite deftly while studying his opponent’s tactics, before choosing a course of action and moving in for the kill.

The three captains had evidently worked together before, though Harding and Blitz seemed more familiar with each other than with Drask. They complemented each other well, however, with three opinions of well-seasoned officers ready to confront any difficulty. Extensive discussion was had over the best route from Augustana to Arcadia, with the two primary choices being whether to sail north around the ruins of Azlant opposed by those favoring a direct route through the twists and turns of the drowned continent. The prudence of Captains Drask and Blitz won out over the brashness of Captain Harding in the end, however, and the trio of ships took the longer, safer path across the Arcadian Ocean.

The voyage was unexpectedly uneventful, with warm (but not hot) air and good winds making up the majority of the weather. A few pirates had nosed about early on, but thanks to the relatively heavily-armed appearance of the three Andoran ships, they quickly lost interest. Finally, after more than two months at sea, the Nereid's Harp, Falcon, and Seasprite landed at the Andoran colony of Elesomare on the afternoon of 28 Rova 4714. A collection of several dozen inhabitants of Elesomare had come out to greet the arrival of the ships, colonists staring out at the newcomers or talking among themselves. Children waved exuberantly at those on board the vessels as they pulled up to the docks. A fourth ship was already docked there, another Andoran vessel by the color of its flag and the uniforms of the sailors moving about on deck. The name written upon the stern read as the Spirit of Freedom, and her sailors looked to be in the process of loading a great many crates, barrels, and boxes on board for shipment back to Andoran.

Once the three ships were safely tied off and sails furled, the captains of the ships, followed by the intrepid leaders of the colonial expedition, marched down the gangplanks to be greeted by the welcoming committee. There were several men and women present, flanked by a squad of four militia, who appeared to be serving as honor guard. They stood resplendent in their blue and gold uniforms, holding well-crafted halberds. Behind them near the northern gate of the palisade was a line of grim-faced archers, keeping wary watch over the anchorage. Chief among those welcoming the new arrivals was a man of commanding presence, standing a good head taller than most of those around him. He was dressed in a well-stitched blue-and-gold uniform, similar to those of the militia around him, but seemingly of civilian styling. A dueling sword of exquisite craftsmanship was belted at his side and the glint of forged chain could be seen beneath his clothing. Cheerful brown eyes peered out from underneath great, bushy white eyebrows, matching his hair and a well-trimmed beard. As the welcoming party drew near, he stepped forward and extended his hand to Captain Drask.

Drask moved to intercept the white-haired gentleman’s hand and the two shook before quietly exchanging words. Then Drask beckoned the party forward and moved aside to stand with Harding and Blitz as the gentleman spoke. “Welcome, everyone,” the man said, his deep, booming voice carrying well across the docks. “Welcome to Elesomare, the farthest western foothold of Andoran. I am sure you have all had a long voyage and are eager for a hot meal and some rest, and I am happy to say that our larders are well-stocked, the beer is good, and the women are friendly.” At this last remark, he glanced sidelong at a half-elven woman standing next to him. She raised a single eyebrow, but said nothing as the man turned back to the party.

Captain Drask coughed slightly and gestured to the members of the Marius family standing there. “Governor Strand, I present to you the leaders of the expedition, Lykon and Corvos, Tanith, and Rema, all of House Marius, as well as Haukr Malmquist and Ragna Eldenhall.” Then he turned his face back to the party and made an identical gesture toward the governor. "Friends, this is Governor Alvarr Strand."

The governor bowed low. "This is my daughter, Alori," he began, gesturing toward the half-elven woman he’d looked at moments before. She had long, brown hair and hazel eyes that sat in an attractive face, though there appeared to be a sadness to her expression. She bore a strong resemblance to the older man, save that her ears were pointed where his were not. Alori appeared to be somewhere in her early twenties, although half-elves sometimes inherited a form of the ageless appearance of their elven forebears. She wore clothing suitable for travel out-of-doors and had at her back a bow and quiver of arrows as well as a sword belted to her hip.

The governor turned around and pointed to each of the remaining people in turn, naming them and describing their roles. “The rest of these fine folk are the pillars of our community.” First were Mr. and Mrs. Edvard and Sirli Orlos, the proprietors of The Liberty's Rest, Elesomare’s tavern. A middle-aged couple, the man was short, round, and balding with a ready smile. He wore a food- and drink-stained apron that testified to his profession. His wife was similarly attired, though hers was somewhat more orderly than that of her husband. Shorter than he, she appeared plump and had decorated herself with beaded jewelry, perhaps something of a local style. After the Orloses, the governor pointed to Captain Norman Haventhorne, leader of the town militia. He wore a uniform identical to those of the other militia present, save for a captain's rank insignia. He looked to be in his mid-thirties with short, brown hair and a well-groomed mustache that curled upward. Finally, the governor named Shossi Frostmane, the village Blacksmith and head of the Merchant’s Guild. Miss Frostmane was a tall woman with icy blue eyes and hair that had obviously given birth to her surname. She wore worker’s clothing under worn leather armor and carried both a blacksmith’s hammer in a beltloop, and a sword with an intricate pommel and guard in a matching scabbard. She looked at the unloading of ships with a bit of a wistful expression, though her eyes were eventually drawn to focus on the newly-arrived Marius family.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Now that you've arrived, it's time to make your stepping-off-the-boat introductions. This is also your cue to greet the governor and the people with him.
    Click here for a map of Elesomare.

Spoiler: NPC Gallery
    Show
    Spoiler: Alori Strand
    Show

Spoiler: Shossi Frostmane
    Show

Spoiler: Map of Arcadia
    Show

Spoiler: Faeyra Tenegan
    Show

Spoiler: And her twin sister, Caina Tenegan
    Show
    Last edited by Othniel; 2016-06-27 at 12:51 AM.
    Many thanks to Ceika for the Custom Avatar!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

redface Re: [IC I] Settlers of Arcadia

Haukr

As the Nereid's Harp sidled into Elesomare's harbor, those upon the docks were treated to the sight of a rather unusual figure hanging off the figure head, the wind whipping at his snow-white ponytail. By all appearances, he appeared to be a young man barely into his early twenties, if even that, with eyes the color of gold and a small scar over his right cheek.

Such youthful looks, as it turned out, were one of the advantages of the man's angelic heritage, along with a host of others that we shall examine in greater detail as the story progresses.

Swinging around back onto the forecastle, Haukr Malmquist, one of the older sons of Titus Marius at a whopping sixty-two years of age, took a deep breath of the sea air. Two months had passed with such a scent in his nose every day, and as much as he enjoyed it, he was looking forward to being on dry land again. For it was on dry land - upon Arcadia - where he would finally be able to sate his lust for adventure.

For justice, as they worked as a family to thwart the Lumber Consortium and its sinister motives. For glory in battle as they cut down their thugs, and the huge monsters that would inevitably patrol the Arcadian forests. And, of course, for that sweet, sweet, gold and riches and spices that must inevitably be in such a place.

It's a far-off land of milk and honey. It would be weird if it didn't have those things.

His blood roused at the prospect of the beginning of the next step of their journey, Haukr let his rumbling baritone roll across the ship, hoping to inspire those on the deck to join in.

"In forty-seven fourteen,
    We sailed the open sea
    For glory, gods, and gold
    and the Arcadian Company
    For the New World is like heaven
    And we'll all be rich and free
    Or so we have been told
    By the Arcadian Company.
    So we have been told by the Arcadian Company..."

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Couldn't resist the Pocahontas reference, especially given that it's been brought up in the Skype thread a few times. It'll probably be the only one, I swear.

Plus, I'm half-bard. It'd be weirder if I wasn't trying to pump up the colonists.

Perform (Sing): (1d20+13)[23]

His urge to show off his talents in the performing arts sated, Haukr stepped into formation with the rest of the Marius family, the children of Tiberius taking point as they went down the gangplank with Lykon in the front.

Once the introductions had been made, Haukr smiled and bowed in greeting. "And a pleasure it is to meet all of you. Haukr Malmquist, at your service." Standing up and clapping his hands together, he then looked around, in particular settling his gaze upon Edvard and Sirli. "Now! Before we get down to business, I think we really ought to test the larders and the beer. I don't know about the rest of you all -" He looked to the rest of the Marius family. "But I think it's only appropriate to discuss matters regarding Arcadia over a meal of its fruit, metaphorical and literal."
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2016-06-08 at 12:53 AM.
    Everything dissolves into blue.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [IC I] Settlers of Arcadia

Corvos

"Yes, I could be tempted to sample the local fare," Corvos said with an unfailingly polite smile as he made the rounds and pressed flesh. Despite the long journey, the dashing young man and his fine clothes appeared as pristine as the day he'd stepped on the ship. Apparently, he'd even found the time to apply eyeliner and a touch of indigo shadow before disembarking.

"Cherries perhaps? This far north they must still be in season. My raven loves cherries."

Meeting dignitaries (such as they were) qualified as one of the rare times Corvos allowed his familiar to perch on his shoulder. He was, to his credit, a handsome specimen with feathers so oily black they took on a blue hue in the light. Soren thankfully remained silent, though he looked Alori up and down.
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2016-06-07 at 03:35 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Rema

The voyage had been something that Rema had treasured, not perhaps for the time with family but for what the journey itself represented. The freedom to use her abilities on the trip had been nice as well, although it had taken a while for the crew to get used to her climbing back onto the ship in the form of a water elemental with whatever she'd managed to catch that day. It wasn't that they'd been unappreciative for fresh food, but the rather unique delivery method had taken some getting used to. She debarked in her armor, the rest of her clothing pulled from her knowledge of traditional Mahwek garb. If not for her looks, and her pronounced Andoran accent, she could have passed as one of them.

"The ripe ones are the best, aren't they." Rema said from her older brother's side, looking over the welcoming party come to greet. "It is good to meet you all." She crouched down, touching the earth with her fingertips. "It seems you have treated this land well. I do hope it is so." That the settlement was still standing was a good sign of that, however. Kaniehtiio had been rather expressive on the potential consequences of that sort of mistreatment.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    Many thanks to Snowfire for collating all these. He's a madman, but he's a helpful madman.
    Spoiler: Things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mynxae View Post
    Damn you Snowfire. I cried.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon777 View Post
    T_T I swear, you just made me cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Well, here's another for your sig, Snowfire.

<struck dumb>

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Lykon

The eldest child of the House of Marius lead their way down the gangplank, wrapped in a finely embroidered navy-blue robe, his hands wrapped in delicate silk bandages and folded before him. The signet of their great house rested on the ring finger of his right hand, the thick platinum an accustomed irritant after many years of enduring its chafing touch. Alongside him walked a small boy of eight, his beatific face similar enough to Lykon's to assure his parentage, yet with a crown of dark curls that betrayed a heritage beyond the ethereal Marius blood. Hadrian had been a constant balm on the long voyage, his youthful exuberance and curiosity a potent reminder of the grand adventure that awaited them. Yet now he stood subdued, proud yet silent as they approached the native delegation, much to his father's pride.

At their introduction from Captain Drask, Lykon favored the governor with a slight bow of respect. His eyes prowled over the dignitaries of the colony, lingering a moment on Alori before blinking back to their host.

"A pleasure to make your acquaintance, Governor. You have my thanks, and that of my house, for your receptive welcome. It is my hope that we might become fast friends as we embark upon this grand endeavor. May I present my son, Hadrian Marius."

Hadrian stepped forward, with only the slightest hint of stiffness in his practiced gait. He fell into a bow that was almost courtly, doubtless and affectation picked up from his uncle, before rising with a smile.

"A pleasure to meet you, honorable lords."

His eyes strayed up to his father, who nodded with a slight smile of approval. It was met by a far more reveling grin from his son, before the ceremony of the occasion returned to him and he returned to his father's side. Lykon paused, considering the most appropriate way to broach their needs to further the expedition, only to cast aside his plans with Haukr's introduction. As the angelic bastard slipped into his sociable idiom, Lykon restrained his annoyance. No doubt a meal would provide ample lubricant by which to accomplish their goals. He smiled in truth as his brother took charge, engaging in the glad-handing that remained beyond Lykon's ability, and nodded his consent.

"Indeed, some refreshment would indeed be welcome after so long at sea. And far better to discuss the future by the fire, away from this sea air."
    Last edited by TheDarkDM; 2016-06-08 at 04:53 AM.

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Tanith

Rocking softly along the Nereid's Harp, Tanith worked diligently on a new quilt she was inspired to make of the sunset over the sea. Several spools were placed next to her of various colors, each one showing clear signs of having been extensively used. Her work was only slightly slowed down as her uncle Haukr began his ballad and she hummed along to his impressive baritone. When he had finished she looked up and began to clap softly, delight beaming off of her face "How wonderful!" she returned to her work with newfound vigor, and hastened to finish sewing together the layers as landfall approached them.

Folding her work up neatly, she set it off to the side indoors for a worker to unload before quickly falling in place behind her father. She wore her favorite dress, the bow on the back whipping softly as the wind blew over the ship and worked hard to undo the bun upon her hair that she had meticulously placed. Trained and practiced as she was, her pristine and aloof expression was only betrayed by the slightest of glances at her younger brother as he stepped back into place, and she flashed him a demure smile. Facing the greeting party one at a time, Tanith stepped forth and curtsied, her head facing the ground as she said

"A pleasure. I hope our arrival is not too much of a burden, my lords."

And with that she returned to her station, gloved hands folded over one another, and awaited a command from one of her elders.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Elesomare

So infectious was Haukr's song that several sailors could not help but join in. After all, it was a well-known song, and easy to follow. What followed was a several-minute-long impromptu celebration of reaching land in which several sailors forgot their duties and had to be rather sternly reminded not to shirk.

After introductions were made, hands were shaken, bows were given and received, Governor Strand stood aside and gestured toward the open gate. Behind the group, the docks sprung to life once more as the sailors, workers, and settlers started unloading the three Andoran ships. As the group commenced moving in the indicated direction, the party could see down a wide road that led to what appeared to be a large, important-looking building. Mrs. Orlos sidled up to Corvos as they walked, practically giggling with delight as she broached a topic doubtlessly near and dear to her heart. "Did I hear you mention cherries, love? Well, I have such a treat for you, young man. Such a treat indeed!"

"You folks are about a week late for the Waning Light Festival, I'm afraid," the governor told Lykan and the others as they passed through the gate, his voice filled with regret. "It's one of the local festivals here in celebration of their patron goddess, but we've adopted their festivals ourselves, partially out of respect to our hosts here in Arcadia, and partially because we appreciate Kazutal herself." The group walked slowly, and governor pointed out a few buildings within view. "Straight ahead you'll see the town hall. The upstairs serves as my residence, and the downstairs is where we do all of our colony business. Most days it's pretty quiet, but we do host dinners there for native delegations from time to time."

"We even once entertained the governor of Anchor's End across the bay," Edvard Orlos put in from behind, only to be cut off with a warning look from Strand. "That's true," he affirmed after a cough, "But we haven't had many dealings with the Chelish, especially recently. They don't particularly like us over here, as you can imagine."

"At any rate," he continued, "You can see the lumber we have stored within the settlement's walls. Much of this will be going back on ships we expect before the end of autumn, and it is currently being air dried - seasoning it to remove moisture so it doesn't weigh so much. We do quite a bit of lumbering, as you probably know, though it is not our only product here. Of course, it is by far the largest export, particularly since that fiasco a while back with the darkwood in Andoran. It's not quite as plentiful here as back home, but we help with the demand."

"To your right there is the general store," Strand said, still intent on his impromptu tour. "We also have an herbalist, smithy, and magic shop within the walls, as well as sundry other small artisans in the woods and farms. Feel free to avail yourselves of their services. They won't charge you extra like they do the natives." At this, he laughed, a great booming sound before continuing. "The townsfolk live in houses to the south, across the main green where we'll be holding a bit of a celebration for your arrival today. We'll set you up in the tavern around the corner and get ready for the festivities. Please do come, by the way; it'll mean so much to the folks here." As he finished, the group came to the tavern and Strand stopped just outside. "I'll come back to pick you folks up in a little while after I've organized things a bit more. Have fun, and welcome to Arcadia!"

As the governor departed, Mr. and Mrs. Orlos bustled into their establishment, ushering in the party and doing their best to feel welcome. "Please, have a seat and we'll get some food to you right away." The Liberty's Rest was a clean, but humble establishment. A collection of long tables and benches were arranged in parallel, and a slightly raised platform stood at the north wall, serving as a stage. The eastern side of the tavern housed the bar and kitchen where a bartender and two cooks were already at work. The wood was unfinished, though the floor was covered with sawdust to absorb stains and the walls were decorated with animal trophies. Several windows on each wall let in the afternoon light, and a gentle breeze could be felt wafting in through the open doors and windows.

Spoiler: Lykon, Ragna, Rema, Hauker, and Tanis
    Show
    You get the feeling Strand may be trying to avoid the topic of the Chelaxian colonies.

Spoiler: Everyone
    Show
    You all notice Shossi staring at Haukr, a look of curiosity on her face.

Spoiler: Lykon, Ragna, and Rema
    Show
    Thanks to Lykon's and Ragnas knowledge of religion, and Rema's first-hand experience in Arcadia, you three know the following:

All Core deities are worshiped to some degree or another in Arcadia, although those affiliated with nature, community, and celestial bodies are held in the highest regard. As a result, Abadar, Desna, Erastil, Gozreh, and Saranrae, as well as Pharasma and the Green Faith are most openly worshipped. Additionally, a deity known only to Arcadia is especially revered in the nation of Degasi: Kazutal, goddess of community, liberty, and the sun. In fact, Kazutal has mostly replaced worship of Sarenrae in Degasi, leading some to believe that she has especially favored the Mahwek of that nation. Kazutal's domains are Community, Glory, Protection, Travel, and Sun; while her subdomains are Education, Heroism, Honor, Defense, Trade, and Revelation.

Spoiler: Corvos, Ragna, Rema, and Haukr
    Show
    In the nation of Degasi, four seasonal festivals are celebrated in which honor is given to Kazutal. The Festival of Flowers starts on the evening of the waxing half moon that occurs closest to the spring equinox and celebrates regrowth and community. The Harvest Bounty Festival, celebrated on the summer solstice, is devoted to the beginning of the harvest season. With celebration beginning on the fall equinox, the Waning Light Festival (which goes by different names in different communities) bids farewell to the sun. Finally, beginning upon the winter solstice is Long Dark Night, where the revelers welcome back the sun as the days begin to lengthen.
    Last edited by Othniel; 2016-06-09 at 03:52 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Mrs. Orlos sidled up to Corvos as they walked, practically giggling with delight as she broached a topic doubtlessly near and dear to her heart. "Did I hear you mention cherries, love? Well, I have such a treat for you, young man. Such a treat indeed!"

"Oh," Corvos chirped, lightly hugging Mrs Orlos with one arm. "I like this place already."

"I know, right? It's been five minutes and someone already wants to shove her pie in your face. That is just so typical. Or her tarts, I guess,"
    Soren said too loudly. The raven had an unusually deep and dusky voice -- unusual at least insofar as magical talking animals went. The sound should have been coming out of a weathered old Varisian man instead of a bird.

Corvos paid him no attention and quickly broached another topic. "We were to meet an Arlo Clegg. Will he be joining us?"

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Ragna

The elf had not... fully appreciated the long voyage, even with the relatively calm seas. The crew had taken to calling a place near the aft of the ship "Ragna's Roost" after the amount of time that she had spent there. Hurling. Even so, she knew her duty and carefully waited to be the last one off the Nereid's Harp, at least among the Marius group, even ignoring Haukr's rousing song in favor of scanning the gathering crowd for threats. When none presented themselves, and with the ship sitting much more steadily than it had been, she gratefully bounced down the plank, almost skipping, arriving just after the introductions had started.

She said nothing during that time, knowing that the Marius family in general, from Titus on down, liked to pretend that they were universally highly educated, clean spoken, and just generally well to do, all things that clashed with her usual accent. Ragna had spent enough time in lands outside of those governed by the mighty Linnorn Kings that she could now speak the common tongue every flavor from clear Taldane to unintelligible northern slang. Either one clashed with Lykon's introduction, though, so she waited until the party had moved into the Liberty's Rest to actually speak, leaving it somewhere in between, the better to judge reactions. "Noice den ye got 'ere. Add some thatch an' it'll be like 'ome. I could use some grub after a trip loike that."
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Corvos

Mrs. Orlos extricated herself from Corvos so she could help prepare food, but her husband stuck by the man and his bird, proceeding to fill and light a carven pipe before answering the question. "The diplomat? Well, he's probably in Segada at his office," Edvard replied. "You'll want to talk to the governor about arranging a meeting, I'm sure, but I doubt you'll manage it today. It's sixty miles west to Segada, so Mr. Clegg probably won't even know you're here until tomorrow or the day after, assuming the governor has sent a messenger or bird."

Ragna

Shossi Frostmane had stamped into the tavern behind the party, finally breaking the stare she'd kept at Haukr. Moving further inside, she leaned against the bar, and as Ragna spoke, her head swiveled around to look at the elf. "You speak like one from the Linnorm Lands," she stated, her own voice betraying the lilting accent of the Ulfen people from that region. "Are you from the north-lands? It has been many years since I left home." The blacksmith pounded a fist on the bar and addressed one of the staff preparing food. "Come, we are thirsty! And hurry with that food for the guests."

"They only just arrived, so be patient, Shossi," Mrs. Orlos reminded the tall woman, "We just started preparing the meal a few minutes ago."

This was not strictly true, as the ships had been seen some ways off and a fair amount of preparations had already been completed, but Shossi didn't argue the point. Instead, she turned her attention back to Ragna and asked another question. "What was your name? In the rush of welcomings on the dock, I did not catch them all."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Rema

"Some of my fellows may be in the area after the Waning Light Festival," Rema said quietly to Lykon, as it was only good manners to inform the leader of the expedition where she was going. Rema always tried to be polite with family. "If we will not see Mr Clegg for several days at best, then I will go looking for them. Information closer to home would be useful, I think."

With that, Rema turned away from the entrance to the inn and headed for the edge of the settlement. The woods were her goal, that was where she'd found some of those like her before, so with luck that would be a place for her to find them again. It was a longer walk than most would have taken, around the edge of the lumber yards before entering the forest, and she vanished into the still familiar woodlands without a trace. Within a few minutes she was far enough in that none but another druid would be able to track her, and she hummed a short tune that Kaniehtiio had taught her as she continued on her way into the wood.

Although she was clearly not of Mahwek birth, her clothes and manner would identify her as one who knew the land, and with luck that would bring those she was looking for to her. The Circles in Andoran had told her that, regardless of race or nation, their kind could always know each other. From experience on Arcadia, that should bring a conversation within an hour or two. Rema had quite the place to enjoy whilst she waited, although she had to be careful of her skin. This late into the year the forest was starting to build up its tinder, and a few sparks in the wrong place could make things go badly wrong. She'd been through one firestorm, she'd rather not be the cause of the next one she had to experience, at least not so close to Elesomare.
    Many thanks to Snowfire for collating all these. He's a madman, but he's a helpful madman.
    Show

<struck dumb>

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Ragna

The elf hesitated. She hadn't anticipated coming to the edge of Avistan-style civilization and encountering anyone who might have heard of the Eldenhall Ring, but this Aasimar... she decided to go for it, her curiosity getting the better of her. "Ragna Eldenhall. Pleased to meet ye an' all that, but it's been a few decades since I've seen fair Kalsgard meself. How'd ye end up out 'ere?"

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Corvos was plainly annoyed that Arlo hadn't the courtesy to greet them in Elesomare, regardless of how inconvenient it may have been. None the less, he held his tongue on the subject and tried to enjoy himself. After stuffing himself and Soren with cherry treats, he drew Lykon aside to discuss logistics, and then Haukr to deliver the marching orders.

"There's no reason to keep the fleet idle while we deal with politics. You'll go on ahead tomorrow with the Seasprite and begin scouting the Shraedar Peninsula and establish a base camp. Lykon and I will ride to Segada to meet with Mr. Clegg, then we'll be along on the Nereid's Harp in a few days. We'll look after Hadrian and Tanith. You're in charge of making sure Rema gets on the ship. I don't know where the Hells she's gotten off to."
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2016-06-10 at 09:41 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

Haukr

As Strand led them to the Liberty's End, Haukr's eyes flitted from building to building, trying to memorize the layout. Not that he expected they would be here overlong, mind, but it paid to know these kinds of things. It was no surprise that Strand was trying to avoid the topic of the Chelaxian colonies, of courses - what red-blooded Andoran would want to talk about the efforts of their sworn enemies? It was a shame that they'd missed the Waning Light Festival, though.

Any excuse to get drunk and party.

As they waited for the food to be brought out, the aasimar noticed that the head of the merchant's guild - Shossi Frostmane, if he recalled - was staring at him. Initially debating whether or not he should go over there and introduce himself before Ragna went and started chatting with her, he instead decided to continue idling at the table, turning as Corvos came over. Carefully the aasimar listened as the son of Tiberius outlined his plan.

"Rema went out into the woods a little while ago, I believe. Will Ragna be coming with us as well, or do you have something else in mind for her?"

Once Corvos had responded, Haukr felt his stomach growl slightly.

Rema can wait to hear the news later. Best to stay in here where the promise of food awaits. In the meantime...

Ever so casually, Haukr meandered over to the bar and sat down beside Shossi and Ragna, flagging down Mrs. Orlos.

"I don't suppose you've got anything hoppy on tap, have you?"

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

The Liberty's Rest

Mrs. Orlos flashed a smile at Haukr as he asked his question, "Certainly dearie, just a moment." She bustled back behind the bar and then, after a matter of a few minutes, the food and drink started arriving, a tribute to the proprietress's near-perfect timing. The Orloses and their staff quickly served up several dishes, placing them upon the tables around which the party sat. There was a roast, several chickens, and even a plump pheasant for meat dishes, as well as several bowls of roasted vegetables, and then there were the pies. There was cherry, of course, as Mrs. Orlos had hinted, along with the aforementioned bowl of cherries for Soren, but rhubarb, apple, and cranberry pies joined the cherry as well, along with a generous portion of whipped cream. For drink there were several kinds of ale, beer, and even some wine that Mr. Orlos drug out of what he referred to as his deep storage.

At last, the tables were set, a stack of plates and utensils were set down, and Mr. Orlos joined Corvos and Haukr at their table, setting down a trio of ale-filled mugs. "Your health, gentleman," he said, and took a drink.

Ragna

"I must beg your pardon, Ragna Eldenhall," the blacksmith said, sounding chagrined. "I did not mean to imply that I am from the Lands of the Linnorm Kings." Shossi lowered her voice slightly as a pained expression flashed across her face. "I am from Valenhall."

Rema

As the druidess entered the forest, the mix of red, orange, and gold colors swallowed her up. The crunch of dry vegetation sounded as she padded further in, and the sound of myriad birds filled the air. Squirrels aplenty chattered overhead, ignoring or accepting the presence of the intruder upon their forest domain. She could see places where the bite of the axe had left its mark, although she noted that the Andorans had taken care to replant after they had harvested. It did not take Rema one or two hours to find someone, nor did it take three or four hours. Rema had walked for five hours, through the forest of color before she finally heard the sound of another sapient creature.

To the east she heard the sudden hoot of an owl, and as she turned her head, she saw a man standing there, and above him, perched upon the limb if a birch tree, a large owl. He was leaning on a gnarled staff and dressed shoulder to moccasin in deerskin. A wooden holy symbol of the Green Faith dangling from his belt. "What do you seek here, traveler from afar?" he asked, his voice as soft as the whispering wind.
    Last edited by Othniel; 2016-06-10 at 10:41 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Rema

"I am searching for a fellow." Rema replied, her smile weary but satisfied. As she'd walked the feeling of the land had seeped into her, and the knowledge it had passed to her had provided. It might not have been the fare of the tavern that her family must have enjoyed, but in its own way it had been far more fulfilling to her. Her reply was in Mahwek, with only a touch of Andoran accent. A year spent speaking and hearing the accents of Arcadia had taught her well. She turned to face the man, fire flickering in her eyes with hopeful joy, and she switched languages.

"Have I found one, brother?" She asked in Druidic. "It has been several years since I have seen these woods."
    Last edited by Snowfire; 2016-06-11 at 03:05 PM.
    Show

<struck dumb>

17. - Top - End - #17

Haukr

A large and genuine smile on his face, Haukr toasted Mr. Orlos. "And to yours as well." He then drank deeply, the bitter taste of hops filling his mouth and washing a sense of calm over him. Digging into a rather large plate of pork loin roast, pheasant, roasted yams, asparagus, and apple pie, Haukr decided to engage Mr. Orlos in conversation.

"So tell me, Mr. Orlos - or may I call you Edvard? What brings a man such as yourself to the shores of Arcadia?"

*** After finishing eating... ***

Having ate and drank his fill, Haukr then decided it was time to deal with another item on his to-do list - Shossi, or, more specifically, getting to the bottom of why she'd been looking at him.

Surprised to see another aasimar, perhaps? She certainly has the look of one.

Making his way over to the head of the merchant's guild, Halbrecht casually sat down beside the woman and addressed her in a rather relaxed and friendly manner.

"A wonderful day outside, is it not?"

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Lykon

As Lykon and his family followed their hosts inside the walls of Elesomare, there was a brief commotion on their ship. Followed by cheers and a few muttered curses, an enormous silver wolf bounded down the gangplank to join Lykon's side. A smile and a stroke of the beast's silky ears was all Lykon deemed appropriate greetings, but Hadrian had played his part and saw little wrong with throwing his arms around the beast's neck in a welcoming hug. Holding up his wrapped hand to forestall any questions from the natives, Lykon left his free hand atop her shaggy head.

"Have no fear, gentle people. Faola is a loyal companion, and will do you no harm without my leave."

Continuing to the tavern, Lykon ignored whatever stares their retinue might draw, holding himself with the cold detachment of old aristocracy. The facade melted once they left the street, however, as he set his sister off with an approving nod. Sinking into a waiting chair, Faola curled up at his feet, he awaited the coming meal with anticipation. Cool eyes watched as his family mingled with the local color, but aside from a brief exchange with his twin he said nothing until dinner was served. However, as they began to indulge in Arcadia's bounty, he coughed to gain the attention of their hosts.

"How fares your relationship with the Chelaxian colonies across the bay? The Governor seemed ill at ease to hear of them."

Spoiler
    Show
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Ragna

In for a copper, in for a sovereign. The elf was a bit confused by the woman's chagrin, but pressed on. "Oh? I'd heard Valenhall was a land of spiritual enlightenment? Why'd ye leave?"

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Rema

The man nodded as if in confirmation. "I am Akecheta of the Degasi Circle," he replied softly in Druidic. "Time may have passed, but the forest never forgets a guest...or an intruder." Akecheta tilted his head slightly to one side as he regarded Rema. "Tell me, child, are you of the woodcutters who live along the seashore? They cut, but they replant, such considerate invaders they are." He chuckled to himself and held up a hand. "Do not mind mind me. I lament only the heedless chopping and burning that some of those from across the seas practice. These men who worship the Great Eagle, they have understood. If one wishes to reap, one must sow. Come, who do you seek?"

Haukr

"Yes, please, Edvard will do! Actually, there isn't much to the story," the innkeep replied, looking rather put out. Evidently, he enjoyed his stories. "The Mrs. and I were born here, you see. Third-generation Andoran-Arcadians we are. I've never seen a single square inch of Avistan, though I've seen maps. Collect them, you see. Perhaps some time I could show them to you." Mr. Orlos probably would have given Haukr an earful, but at that moment he was called away by his wife, leaving the Skald to enjoy his lunch.

Ragna and Haukr

"Valenhall truly is a wondrous place," the blacksmith replied after some hesitation. "I would still be there were there any choice in the matter, Ragna Eldenhall."

Spoiler: Haukr
    Show
    As you arrive, you catch Shossi's last sentence.

Just then, Haukr joined the two and Shossi turned to look upon the Skald. She seemed not to hear his question at first as her eyes regarded him from head to toe and back up again, lingering for a long moment upon the weapon at his back until finally she stared at his face. "It is indeed. A fine day for drinking with friends old and new." Shossi grasped a mug of foamy ale that one of the tavern workers had set in front of her and drank a long draught. Wiping the foam from her mouth, she flicked it from her fingers and smiled infectiously at both Ragna and Haukr. "Tell me, what is it you intend to accomplish in Arcadia?"

Lykon (and pretty much everyone else)

"If the governor seems ill at ease," Captain Haventhorne spoke up, his accent placing his origin somewhere in the Arthfell region of Andoran, "It is probably because Canorus was wiped off the map, and nobody, not even our Mahwek friends to the west - if they are to be believed - know what happened."

Show
    Arthfell is the westernmost area of Andoran, bordering eastern Cheliax.
    Last edited by Othniel; 2016-06-12 at 12:56 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Tanith

Following alongside her father, Tanith watched the day to day lives of the local populace flow naturally, and spared only fleeting glances as she focused on stepping in time and observing the conversation before her. She minded her tongue, fully cognizant of the station she occupied and the limitations and expectations therein, but the prospect of a whole colony disappearing like that invoked a knee jerk reaction.

"That's terrible! Has anyone been sent to investigate? Surely there must be-"

She stopped herself and glanced at Lykon as she realized she spoke out of turn, and cast her eyes towards her feet as she returned to silence.
    Last edited by Tychris1; 2016-06-13 at 01:37 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

"Of, but not quite alike." Rema replied, carefully laying a hand on the bark of one of the trees beside her. "My name is Rema, I was shown this land by Kaniehtiio. If there would be any that I sought, it would be her, but my true desire is knowledge. I have come only today back to this land, and I would wish to know what changes have come upon it in the years that have passed since last I walked it."
    Show

<struck dumb>

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

"If the governor seems ill at ease," Captain Haventhorne spoke up, his accent placing his origin somewhere in the Arthfell region of Andoran, "It is probably because Canorus was wiped off the map, and nobody, not even our Mahwek friends to the west - if they are to be believed - know what happened."

"Yes," said Corvos callously, "I'm given to understand that there's no shortage of creatures in the mountains capable of that feat. Unfortunately for civilization, dragons don't always wait politely in their lairs."

He illustrated his point by gesturing to the candle before him and transforming the flame into a red dragon that slithered up from the wick before taking to the air to terrorize the basket of dinner rolls.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Ragna

"Oh, I jus' work 'ere." Ragna gestured to the other conversation taking place. "I'm on retainer for the Marius family. I'm t' see to their success and protection, mainly, as well as that o' the kiddies." She reached out and banged her glass against the aasimar's whether it was offered or not. "And ye don' have t' keep callin' me by m' full name. Ragna will do. Hells, I've made do on 'you there, elf!' before."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Rema

"Kaniehtiio. That's a name I've not heard in several years." The druid rubbed his chin thoughtfully as he searched his memory. "Yes...yes, I think she was headed to Three-River Valley three years ago now. Something about tending to the prairie. I keep myself largely concerned with the forests, as you may well deduce, so I did not pay much attention at the time."

"As for changes," he continued, "I assume you have come from Elesomare (I was just there myself a few days ago), so you will likely hear about Canorus. I keep myself away from that land, but something happened several weeks ago. I have not investigated, nor spoken to anyone who has, but the forest rumor is that something was disturbed from deep in the forest. Beyond that, all I can say is that the survivors have taken refuge in Anchor's End."

Show
    Though you've never been there, you recall hearing about Three-River Valley. It is a very large valley running roughly two hundred miles north-south, and one hundred fifty east-west. The valley lies about two-hundred miles due west of Elesomare, and has some of the best grazing land in northern Arcadia thanks to the plentiful water that runs through the plains in the valley.

Those in the tavern

"Very well, Ragna!" the frosty-haired woman replied, turning her attention back to the Elf. "You may call me Shossi." She took another drink and studied Ragna's features. "I have never seen an elf before. Clearly you do not all live in trees and wear naught but animal skins. I wonder what else I might learn."

"I doubt it was a dragon," the captain replied stiffly. "Dragons do not...paint in blood." He shook his head. "We still do not know exactly what happened, but I have heard that there were pieces of the settlers everywhere. No, something angry was stirred up and came out from the forest with a vengeance, or so we have heard."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

"Not a dragon then," Corvos said, wiggling his fingers to turn the flames blue and contorting them into a fanged face. The face gnashed its teeth at Soren before fizzling away. The raven looked unimpressed with his master's antics and resumed trying to tie a cherry stem into a knot with his tongue.

"Ogres then. They're easily entertained with gore. Perhaps something worse. Consider me intrigued. Alas, I've not the time or the liberty to scurry off to the north to play monster hunter."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Lkyon

Lykon coughed, hiding what might have been a smile behind a raised hand, only to lower it to reveal a far more appropriate frown.

"Perhaps a bit more respect is due, brother. The Chelaxians may be Andoran's enemy at home, but here we are all neighbors on a strange frontier."

He turned towards their hosts.

"I do hope the Governor will keep us apprised of any revelations, that we might avoid the same fate."

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

28. - Top - End - #28

Haukr

Spoiler: Previously...
    Show

[QUOTE=Othniel;20881661]"Valenhall truly is a wondrous place," the blacksmith replied after some hesitation. "I would still be there were there any choice in the matter, Ragna Eldenhall."

Spoiler: Haukr
    Show
    As you arrive, you catch Shossi's last sentence.

Just then, Haukr joined the two and Shossi turned to look upon the Skald. She seemed not to hear his question at first as her eyes regarded him from head to toe and back up again, lingering for a long moment upon the weapon at his back until finally she stared at his face. "It is indeed. A fine day for drinking with friends old and new." Shossi grasped a mug of foamy ale that one of the tavern workers had set in front of her and drank a long draught. Wiping the foam from her mouth, she flicked it from her fingers and smiled infectiously at both Ragna and Haukr. "Tell me, what is it you intend to accomplish in Arcadia?"/QUOTE]

A shame I can't tell her about the plans to defeat the lumber consortium. There's nothing quite like boasting before going off to battle. But nothing says I cannot tell her about the other thing...

"A great many things, milady."
    Haukr waggled his eyebrow flirtatiously. "Slay hideous monsters, sing songs of great battles, find key deposits of valuable ores and-or plants that have value as cash crops. But our biggest goal is something else. Titus Marius, the patriarch of the family, has asked us - or more specifically, Lykon - to come and establish a new colony here in Arcadia. It is this reason for which Lykon and Corvos depart for Segada soon; the others and I will be departing on the morrow to begin the initial surveys."

Haukr took a long drink.

"Honestly, I've always been more of the adventuring type, but I'm certainly not opposed to taking a stab at governance."
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2016-06-13 at 01:28 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

The Liberty's Rest

Shossi stared in puzzlement at Haukr's twitching eyebrows. "I abhor violence," she said, rather curtly, but then she brightened when Haukr mentioned singing. "But I do enjoy songs. And metalwork." She paused for a moment as if searching for just the right words, "Do you think you will have need of a blacksmith in your new colony? I have an apprentice who is ready to work on his own, and I feel trammeled here."

Spoiler: Haukr and Ragna
    Show
    Sense Motive: She's lying about something.

As Lykon spoke, the doors to the tavern opened once more and Governor Strand rejoined the group. "I see you are making friends and influencing people," he said with a smile.

"They were just talking about how the folk of Carnorus were butchered, father," Alori spoke up. She'd been silent the entire time, though she'd looked at Faola with deep interest.

"Ah, yes. Regrettable turn of events for them, I am sure," Strand responded, giving his daughter a rather pointed look. "I'd hoped to not trouble you with wild rumors, but I may as well tell you what we know." He sighed in resignation and began to explain, "We still only have rumors, although the Spirit of Freedom sailed by a few days ago and found the town deserted. The captain took a peek with that spyglass of his and said there was blood and people - that is, pieces of people - everywhere. One of the Mahwek traders that visits the colonies here told us there were a few survivors of whatever it was that happened, and that they ended up at Anchor's End. He also said the entire populace of the other Chelaxian colony was on edge. We know the Segadans are aware of the situation, but Ambassador Clegg was told that it was none of our concern and that he should tell us not to worry." He glanced over at Captain Haventhorne and continued. "We've doubled the watch on the palisade and docks, just to be on the safe side, but haven't seen anything out of the ordinary since it happened. That's all we know at this point, but I do suggest you not wander outside the colony at night, and when you do head out to start exploring, do set a heavy watch."

"Now then!" He clapped his hands and flashed the same smile as before, though it seemed slightly hollow, "We can turn to the business of the celebration of your arrival. We've set up tables and chairs, and a makeshift podium in the town green. If one of you wouldn't mind saying a few words to the folk here, it would be greatly appreciated.

Show
    Rather than RP through the whole celebration, I'm going to let you guys sum up what you did, be it only a sentence if that's all you wish. For those with conversations still ongoing, we can continue them until you're finished via a bit of a "Earlier-Later" separation in posts.

The proposed plan is for Lykon, Corvos, and Tanith (and Hadrian) to head to Segada and find Arlo Clegg, while Haukr, Ragna, and Rema head out with the Nereid's Harp and start scouting for a place to start exploration in preparation for settlement. Everyone else will rejoin them afterward in the Seasprite.

***The Next Morning***

The next morning broke clear and sunny, just as the previous day. Rema had returned to Elesomare and was brought up to speed. Shortly after breakfast, the party drew together and finalized their plans. Captain Haventhorne would guide Lykon, Corvos, Tanith, and Hadrian to Segada, a journey of roughly a a day-and-a-half to two days while the remainder of the party would board the Nereid's Harp and head south to explore along the coast. Lykon's group would follow behind in the Seasprite after returning to Elesomare.

Show
    Go ahead and everyone make a post to sum up/finish up whatever you want to in Elesomare.
    Last edited by Othniel; 2016-06-13 at 06:09 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

It was late morning when the group said their farewells. Lykon took Corvos, Tanith, and Hadrian with him, and led by the able Captain Haventhorne, they took the west road to Segada. Rema, Haukr, and Ragna boarded the Nereid’s Harp once more and headed southeast along the coast, making for Shraedar Penninsula.

The road to Segada ran straight out of Elesomare’s western gate for a mile and then dipped back toward the tree line, following the edge of the Emerald Woods for some twenty-five miles. It then ran westward once more, passing through miles of rich farmland which fed the city of Segada. They traveled swiftly, as the road was well-maintained and the met no obstacles or challenges. The party camped in a spring-fed copse for the night before proceeding the next morning. The second day of their journey was slightly more difficult, as they started entering the foothills that steadily rose to meet the great mountain cliffs to the north. About an hour before evening, and after climbing through winding hills, they finally reached the gateway to Segada, a deep cleft in the hills, flanked by what Captain Haventhorne called one of the Cliffside citadels, watchtowers built by the Segadans in days of war when they defended their borders from sea-going aggressors. He explained that the watchtowers now served primarily as garrison posts these days, and as bases from which patrols were sent to Segada’s Chelaxian and Andoran neighbors along the sea.

As the riders climbed the road past the citadel, a pair of mounted soldiers rode swiftly toward them, one holding up a hand commanding them to halt. They wore blue and white uniforms, over which were finely-wrought hauberks of chain mail. Belted at their waists were hand axes of equal craftsmanship and in their hands were long lances. Their broad faces, which looked prone to laughter, were a deep red-brown, and their hair was long, though tied back with beaded leather strips. Captain Haventhorne bowed in his saddle toward one of them and began to speak in Mahwek, “A day of peace and safety to you! I am Captain Haventhorne of Elesomare and these are my charges. They are a delegation from Andoran, a nation from across the water, here to meet with our emissary to Degasi, Arlo Clegg.”

The two soldiers conferred with one another and then beckoned the party on, one leading and the other following. The line of riders passed over a ridge and could suddenly see the city of Segada in its evening glory. Spread across stark variations in elevation, the city was blanketed in long shadows. Towering pine, spruce, birch, elm, and maple trees covered most of the mountains in a wash of burning red and orange autumn colors. The center of the city appeared densely populated, though toward the edges of the district, the homes and businesses became larger and farther apart, allowing for lush gardens and open fields. Terraced gardens and homes carved out of the stone climbed the sides of the cliffs, and a few palatial dwellings graced the cliff tops, commanding views of the entire city. Most of the buildings were crafted from stone and timber and featured wood tile roofs, though some of the finer buildings used slate tiles as roofing material. Some buildings, seemingly built more recently, began incorporating metal into new structures, such as the “climbers” that scale the cliff faces, and the massive metal-and-stone bridge that span the gap across the Snowmelt River that ran through part of the city.

Haventhorne explained that the climbers came about as a result of Segada’s varying elevations. The city’s engineers devised a unique solution to ascending the cliffs that shelter it. These metal and wood structures, called “climbers” by Segadans, ran on geared tracks attached to the sheer face of the ridges and worked like giant elevators. He went on to say that a zigzag staircase ran alongside the climbers for use when the devices were shut down at night or for maintenance. Most of the city’s climbers ran only from dawn to dusk, but the one leading to the northern stacks continued to run until late at night, a fact frequently protested by its nearby neighbors.

Some minutes later, the party rode down what looked to be a main thoroughfare, paved with cobblestones and kept free of refuse. They passed by a large building on the right, which Captain Haventhorne noted as the House of Keys, Segada’s governmental building and residence of the mayor, Wanakeena Awasuul. “We’ll stop by tomorrow, as it is evening and the offices will be closed this time of night.”

They continued riding westward until they started to near the western edge of the city. “Here’s where we’ll be staying tonight,” Haventhorne said, gesturing toward a two-story establishment with a sign on the front that said (in Mahwek) “Crow-In-The-Spruce” with accompanying carven figure. The building was made of red brick, and like the rest of the city they’d seen was well-kept. The double-door entrance was flanked by large windows, through which the party could see an assortment of people, mostly natives, though the occasional Halfling or gnome could be seen, along with some strange, Halfling-sized creatures that appeared to be constructs made out of wood. Haventhorne said they were wyrwoods, one of Arcadia’s native species, though he did not know much about them. “Go inside and get a few rooms for the night, and I’ll see about the horses,” he said.

Inside, the party could see that the establishment was very lively. Tables were filled with people talking, laughing, or playing various games of chance. Over in a corner was a ring of people listening to a gnome they’d gathered around. Across from the door on the far wall was what appeared to be the front desk, behind which was a Halfling. He was wearing brightly-colored clothing, a mix of white with orange and blue decoration, and grinned broadly as he saw the party enter. “Welcome, welcome!” he greeted in Mahwek. “What can I do for you?”

Spoiler: Map of Segada
    Show

The map isn't the best, topographically speaking, but the northern, southern, and eastern sides of the map are at a higher elevation, being the hillier portions. The Northern and Southern Stacks are especially high, being on higher cliffs which overlook the broad central district. The western lows, where the Crow-In-The-Spruce (#4 on the map) is located, is naturally a much lower area as the geography runs down through gentler hills to the Degasi plains.

***Meanwhile***

Ragna, Rema, and Haukr had boarded the Nereid’s Harp, piloted as usual by Captain Harding. Half of the Andoran settlers were packed aboard along with the most important necessities for pitching a camp in preparation for exploration and eventual settlement. Along with the Andorans, Shossi Frostmane had come with, as well as Alori Strand, specifically at the Governor's insistance. Alori hadn't looked happy about it, but she dutifully gathered what she would need for an extended time away from her home and found a place aboard the ship. The Harp then put to sea against a strong westerly gale and made slow progress, but finally on the afternoon of the second day, a line of trees came in sight.

“That’ll be the Creakwood forest,” Captain Harding said, by way of explanation. She’d handed over the ship’s wheel to her first mate and joined the party at the gunwale. “Let me know when you want to drop anchor and start heading ashore. I reckon we’ve about fifteen or twenty miles to go before we reach a place where it’ll be safe to put you ashore. Of course, if you’d rather, we can come around the east side of the peninsula and run up the Shraedar River some if you like. We won’t be able to make it too far, as I’m told it gets too shallow for a ship the size of the Harp, but it might save you a bit of travel."
    Last edited by Othniel; 2016-06-14 at 04:21 PM.