New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 44 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: 3SC's Skull & Shackles IC

When the blue gnome disappears below the surface of the Fever Sea, there is a collected intake of breath - as nearly imperceptible as it is undeniable - from certain members of the crew. A keelhauling is exactly the kind of punishment that Plugg and the rest will be likely to use, if the resistance continues to escalate. By the fearsome glower the first mate gives at your contingent, there is no doubt that Thysh's doom is to be a lesson to you all. Plugg might as well be saying: 'Cross me, and you're next'. Lonegan and Bansion know their trade, their arm muscles bulging and sweat quickly covering their brows as they perform their grisly work. Silence reigns on the main deck. The gnome might have been a strange one, but there are those who considered her at least a friendly face. There is no doubt Thysh will be missed by a few.

It's only near the end, when the two sailors begin the unenviable task of hauling up the mangled carcass, that you notice the first sign of things going wrong. They are pulling in the rope too quickly, as though something were actively aiding them from below. Bansion shoots Lonegan a confused glance, and the latter simply shrugs. "Keep pulling, you curs! I want to see the body!" Plugg strides over to the ship's port gunwale, looking down into the surf for the telltale signs of fresh chum. But what the mate sees instead causes him to gape open-mouthed instead. As both sailors finish their hauling, none other than Thysh emerges on the other side of the Wormwood. The gnome's skin is covered in ragged cuts, with rivulets of her blood staining the side of the ship, and she is soaked to the bone, but she breathes, and her eyes are open. As one, the crew has stopped and stared. There is no way that most of them would make it to the bottom of the ship's keel, let alone all the way through to the other side. Already, the quiet has broken in favor of a storm of muttering.

Plugg, for the second night in a row, simply storms off, leaving his subordinates to cut Thysh down. He makes no effort to try and comfort the gnome, but neither does he seem bent on antagonizing her any further. Like it or not, Plugg is still bound by Harrigan's rules, and he cannot simply finish the job right here. Still, his dark eyes give Thysh one last glare before they disappear behind a closed door. Before too long, the rum ration is being distributed by Grok - under the close supervision of Scourge - and the usual piratical entertainments are set to begin.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    That concludes my Day 7 wrap-up. Once all of you take your rum action and give me a post of some description, we can move on to the start of Day 8. We can also assume that Hiss was whipped once, and stayed standing (since he only barely failed the job DC, and I'm not sure how many lashes he was owed anyways). I'm going to edit my last post to include that fact, as well as the fact that Thysh was indeed bound at the arms as well (but like I mentioned in the Hangouts, she would have been small enough to slip out without a check).

As Belkar once said... don't assume all punishments are good for creatures of all sizes!
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2017-01-07 at 09:02 PM.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

Surprise

Lodan isn't watching the proceedings, sitting back to bulwark, nursing muscles sore from the day's work. Raising his eyes, he's surprised to see the whole crew gawking at him. Lodan blinks with incomprehension, but before he can open his mouth, he realizes everyone is staring at the blue gnome coming back on deck, over the bulwark, by his side.

Lodan first reaction is wondering if they're being boarded? Then he remembers tales of Besmara reanimating mortal shells of drowned sailors and cursing them to roam the seas with eternal bloodlust. Lodan shrieks and jumps a few feet away from the blue gnome.

As Kana comes in to heal Thysh, Lodan's mind finally puts the pieces together. "That's... improbable? Highly improbable!" he exclaims to himself, before he can realize he's uttering it out loud.

When grog is brought on deck, Lodan gets his share. He forces some supposed food down, waiting for an occasion to toss the grog overboard. As Scrimshaw passes in front of him, Lodan turns to throw the grog. Yet, he can't bring himself to do it. He wasn't whipped today. Is he going to give them a reason to do it tomorrow? And that's the only drink available here anyways. It's not like he's going to spend the next months here without drinking. Lodan just downs the grog. After a few minutes, he goes back for more. The drink puts him in a good mood. For the first night since he's on the ship, Lodan goes to mingle with the crew, encouraging them on their games, starting a few songs, and generally having fun. He goes on drinking all the while. He won't remember half of it on the morrow and the half he remembers won't probably even be the good one, but who cares.

Spoiler: Drinking rolls
    Show
    Addiction, (1d20)[4].
    CON damage, (1d3)[1].
    CHA bonus, (1d4)[4].
    Fatigue, (1d8)[8] hours.
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2016-07-19 at 06:14 AM.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

As Thysh is pulled over the rails, she manages to stay standing for a moment or two, long enough to be cut out of the ropes. Her entire back is, for the most part, missing, striped down to the bone. Nonetheless, she manages a quick grin at her compatriots before falling facefirst to the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post
    Yeah, DreamingMage honestly thinks he is a god. Over the years, I've found it best just to go with it.
    Spoiler: Things I Once Was But No Longer Entirely Am
    Show

Previous Usernames: DreamingMage, Zeno Desaqqara
    Credit to araveugnitsuga.
    Credit to DarkCorax.
    Credit to me.
    Credit to me.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

With an audible cry Jarred leaps forward to catch Thysh as she falls. Gently cradling her in his muscled arms he carries her to Kana with an expectant expression on his face. After the woman heals the blue gnome he gently sets her back on her feet before loudly joking, "The crew has a red dragon and an immortal, blue gnome onboard! Nothing can stop us!" He then looks around at the remaining crew, a silent, challenging threat in his eyes as he searches for those unfriendly faces still willing to meet his gaze.

Once content that no further threats await tonight, Jarred turns to Thysh and quietly asks, "You tried to steal something and got caught? I am impressed, but you shouldn't act so recklessly. Get another of us to buy or trade for what you need! By the Nine Hells, I would have even played lookout if you had insisted! We cannot afford to lose powerful healers like you..." His tone is a mixture of critical and concerned, though the offer implicit in his statement cannot be missed.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Kana took her whipping without complaint before standing and giving Lodan a shrug. It hurt sure, but she's still standing. More than enough wind left in the sails. The thought made her smile, but with the pain of the whippings it comes out more as a grimace. She hawks some spit on the deck before walking over to the rest of the group to watch Plugg's blustering and the keelhauling. Full circle after a whole week I suppose. She re does her armour then sits in a cross legged position.

Kana isn't exactly shocked at Thysh survival. More than anything she's perturbed at how strange it is that someone could survive something like that. Strange company you've found here. Strange f!cking company. It's clear she's in need of healing, so Kana hoists her up to standing one hand on her shoulder. As the healing flows into the blue pygmy, Kana has a scowl plastered on her face, daring anyone to come forward and say something to her. It softens to a look of vague hunger as her gaze rests on Lodan. Maybe it's just the piss poor soup. As she receives her grog, Kana deftly tosses it over the side before growling "Even" to Tiny Thysh. With that she makes her way down below deck and sleeps off the pain from the whippings, decidedly alone and perhaps a little bit more ornery for it.

Show

Rolled a 20 for the stealth check to dump the grog in the OOC
    CLW on Thysh (1d8+1)[5]
    Night Action: Sleep
    Last edited by n0ble; 2016-07-19 at 12:33 PM.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

Talespinner

As a drunken and foggy evening goes on, Lodan wonders about Kana again. "What did tha' shrug an' da following grimace mean 'ctually? Hard to read—" Lodan burps "—t'read 'nythin' but scorn in there, I tell ya. She thinks am gonna join 'er? Princess wh'tver her name is thinks I'm gonna join 'er in 'er bed after f!ckin' eblow—ewblo—obwel—hittin' me in th'nose? Well I tell ya, maybe I would might, weren't it for those hateful looks she gives to 'vryone. I swears, woman looks pissed of all o' the time. Friendly gal, that one, barely even speaks to 'nyone!" Lodan realizes he's been speaking his thoughts out loud, to an angry looking crew woman with the weirdest haircut. "Oh." The angry woman gets up and grabs Lodan by the collar. "Shut up," she says, with a quiet and for that all the more threatening tone. An adrenalin rush makes Lodan sober up quiet faster than he'd planned for or even thought possible. "Eeerrr... Ya know, I think I know what ya thinkin' here, but listen, ya don't know who I am an'—"
    "That's nothing to me." Lodan realizes that the rest of the crew have retreated from them, forming a sort of circle. He spies Tilly Bracket in the crowd, shaking her head horizontally with a much resigned expression. "I empathize, it's nothing t'me neither." A few chuckles in the crew. The angry woman looks confused. Right, Lodan! Strike now while she's out of balance! "Let me tell ya 'bout that time we ended up with a goose, a senmurv and a duckbunny in that Port Peril bar and..."

Lodan goes on telling joke upon made-up tale upon actual hearsay from Port Peril. He's actually surprised when other crew members chip into his tall tale making. Foremost among them, young Jack Scrimshaw starts repeating grandiose tales about Catrina.

Show
    Trying to influence Badger Medlard with Scrimshaw's help, (1d20+11)[21].
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

7. - Top - End - #277

NecromancerGuy

After the evening's punishments and excitement are over, Jarred wearily makes his way to finish dinner and drink his nightly grog ration. Sitting down next to Rosie Cusswell and Giffer Tibbs he smiles broadly and says, "Cheers to your health, ladies! May the wind always be at your back, gold be in your pockets, and liquor on your tongues - though not this swill!" With a laugh he throws back the vile drink, belches a fiery cone into the night air, winks at Rosie conspiratorially, and continues, "So Giffer - Rosie here tells me that you are something of a tinker? Not that surprising for a gnome, but always interesting. Do you have any inventions that might make work about here go faster? Tell me about it..."

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Drink the grog
    Fortitude (1d20+2)[9] vs DC 5 or develop minor addiction (pass)
    (1d3)[2] Constitution damage (one point healed overnight)
    +(1d4)[3] Charisma
    (1d8)[2] Fatigued Hours (resolved by sleeping after dinner)

Influence* - Diplomacy (1d20+9)[24] (including the additional +2 from last night's successful entertainment, the +2 from Jarred winning the fight, and +2 from Rosie Cusswell assisting but not any +1 Charisma bonus from the grog) to influence Giffer Tibbs (who is already Friendly). (Probably successful)

Entertain - Make one Perform check to entertain the crew. Beating a DC of 20 gives the performer a +2 circumstance bonus on all checks to influence the listeners for up to 24 hours.

After an evening of pleasant talk Jarred makes his way below decks to sleep, a genuine smile on his face in spite of everything.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Scaled barbarian

The lizard awoke, the pain of the still fresh in its mind, even if the actual pain was already gone. Glancing around, it saw the half-orc nodding. With a grunt, it stood up for a moment, hissing its ... thanks? Then it grabbed its blanket, pulled the mace close and rolled over.

In seconds the beast was asleep ...

Done.
    Show

Spoiler: Status
    Show
    HPs: 14/14
    AC: 12
    F +4 R +1 W +1
    Perception +6; Sense Motive +0
    Effects: none yet
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

Thysh smiles gratefully as she wakes up to Kana's healing. The new flesh across her back itches something awful, but she's alive, which she considers to be an unexpected win. When Kana wanders off, Thysh follows, catching her arm and saying "Thanks. You're a good person, you know that? I'm glad you're here on this ship, in a roundabout way that hopes not to imply any enjoyment on my part of your misfortune." She takes a moment to make sure, mentally, that her last sentence made some degree of sense. Finding that it did, she gives Kana another smile and walks off towards the booze table. She takes a mug, and gives it a critical eye. Stupid drink, making me stupid. Almost got me killed. I don't need this, I make stupid enough decisions on my own. She pauses to scratch her back, unable to get to quite where it itches worst. Then she stops, a stupid grin making its way across her face. She walks to the side of the ship, not caring in particular if anyone is watching, and dumps the mug's contents. It pains her to see the drink go, but still, the grin becomes a full smile as she turns to see if anyone saw her. Come on, people, I need my back scratched. Who's stepping up to help me? How about you, Scourge? You owe me one...

Spoiler: Dice Rolls
    Show
    Stealthy Drink Tipping: (1d20+2)[18]
    Rolling to throw off the addiction: (1d20-1)[5]
    DISREGARD THAT HAHA
    Last edited by Sen isSaqqara; 2016-07-19 at 05:44 PM.
    Yeah, DreamingMage honestly thinks he is a god. Over the years, I've found it best just to go with it.
    Show

Credit to DarkCorax.
    Credit to me.
    Credit to me.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

Several of you wake with the typical pounding headaches and blurry surroundings that you've come to associated with the incredibly potent rum kept in Grok's tuns. For those of you who partook in the alcohol, you find that the stench clings to everything: clothes, hair, and the insides of your mouths. It clouds the edges of your vision like an unwanted fever, casting a pall over the otherwise sunny day. Wait, that can't be right. As the morning bell calls you to planks, you can see several distinctly angry sets of storm-clouds to the south The sun is out, besides, casting the distant green hills and vales of Motaku Isle in sharp relief against the darkness beyond. Several of the other sailors glower and curse Gozreh at the manifestation of his displeasure, but as soon as you all step to, their expressions seem to lighten. In particular, there are those among the crew who clap Thysh on the back as the gnome emerges. You can hear a few voices muttering an epithet among themselves, that of 'Keelkissed'. It only took a night for the name to stick.

"Come on then, form up! Ay've served faster snails than you lot, and that's a fact!" Scourge's snarl comes with a small rain of spittle, as the Wormwood's bosun roughly hands out the biscuits and divides you up into your work crews for the day. Even so, the officer seems distracted and more than a little worried, his eyes constantly glancing out and over prow of the craft, into the waves and out at the storm. Still, he gets everyone sorted without too much trouble, sending Jarred and Thysh with a newly ameliorated Badger Medlar and Jaundiced Jape to catch some rats below. Meanwhile, Catrina and Petaba are both told to haul rope and double check the bollards with Jack Scrimshaw in preparation for any rough weather you might be getting later on, and Scourge tosses a pair of holystones at Lodan and Fipps Chumlett with an evil grin. "Get a move on!"

The cook and the rigger fare slightly better. Plugg is apparently busy conferring with Harrigan this morning about something in particular, leaving the blond Kipper to direct Hiss up into the mainsail sheets along with Maheem. "There's foul weather afoot, and we need every scrap of sail on the wind today, lads!" The scarred, knifebound man leers out at the water for a moment after delivering the first mate's instructions before turning on his heel and walking away, apparently confident that Plugg will be obeyed even in absentia. He appears to be right, as none of the riggers hesitate to jump into action. Down below, Kana finds the cook working away at a few dishes, having slaughtered one of the ship's goats and is now preparing to make a roast of some sort. Kroop raises a bottle in his mate's direction, but only takes a few swigs, as opposed to downing the entire thing as usual. Something must be dreadfully wrong today...

Show
    Everyone, please ignore the NPC work placement on the Google spreadsheet I made for the swabs. That's not for the daytime tasks: those have been outlined in the IC post above.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2017-01-07 at 09:03 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Scaled barbarian

The lizard rose the next morning and followed the others up the stairs. Wearing nothing but its standard loin cloth, it waited with the other riggers, eyes narrowing as Kipper gave the orders today. It stared at the knife bearing man for a few moments, then moved to help with the sales, watching Rattsberger, Toppin and Shortstone carefully. Fortunately the lizard was suited to the rugged work, as it pulled the mainsail tight as others cinched down the ropes.

All in all, a successful day ...

Show
    I suppose it is a day of diligent work! Str vs DC10 - (1d20+8)[26]; Con vs DC10 - (1d20+8)[21]

Show
    F +4 R +1 W +1
    Last edited by Starbin; 2016-07-19 at 11:36 PM.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

A Stormie's coming

Lodan massages his forehead with one hand, shoveling moist biscuits into his mouth with the other, as Scourge's voice resonates through the hollow depths of his hangover. "Swab the damn deck, yes... sir."

Lodan gives a few side looks to the fat man working with him. That's one of Scourge's cronies. "You know, I had a fat friend. We had this race going: first one not to die choking on his ham wins. I won, but lucky him, wherever he is. Fat bastard must be laughing at me."

There's nobody to help him today. Lodan has better put some heart to it. He leads a shanty to make work easier.

Stormie's gone, the good old man,
    To my aye storm a-long!
    Oh, Stormie's gone, that good old man;
    Aye, aye, aye, Mister Storm a-long.

They dug his grave with a silver spade,
    To my aye storm a-long!
    The shroud of finest silk was made;
    Aye, aye, aye, Mister Storm a-long.

Show
    The song.

Working diligently, (1d20+4)[18] vs DC 10.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

Thysh rises late the next morning, barely getting her hands on breakfast before it's all gone. She avoids the slaps on the back where possible at first, (her back still hurts something fierce when hit,) but gives in after the first few. After all, the pain helps soothe the itching. She makes sure to return a smile to anyone who gives her one.

When their tasks are announced, she heads bilge-wards with Jarred and the others. Down in the darkness, she summons a heatless light by which to see. As they work, she strikes up a conversation with Catrina's brother.

"So, I hear I can blame my rough landing yesterday on your sub-par girl-catching skills." She grins to make sure it's taken as a joke. "Thanks nonetheless. So, did I miss anything while I was under?"
    Show

Credit to DarkCorax.
    Credit to me.
    Credit to me.

14. - Top - End - #284

NecromancerGuy

Jarred wakes a bit more groggy than usual, but no less cheerful for the foul weather. He breaks his fast and silently notes the nervousness of the ship's officers. As the rat-catchers descend below decks and Thysh speaks he responds, "Well, Keelkissed, you didn't give me much warning, and I am not the fastest of men. Yesterday seemed electric, charged with impending doom. Then you survived what few others would - nothing happened while you were underwater of note, though I think that doom may still be on its way. The officers are too tense for me - they don't seem capable of enjoying a good fight or storm, and I suspect one or both of those are coming..."

Turning to Jaundiced Jape he grins broadly, his challenging expression reminding one of a feral animal with its teeth bared. "So, you ready for a solid whipping from the boss? Cause unless you feel like playing nice, I am inclined to take every rat you find by force and let you eat the deck tonight. What do you say - cooperate with Blue Keelkissed and Red the Dragon or enjoy the taste of your own blood?" he threatens before laughing and dashing off without waiting for a response.

Show
    Jarred won't do anything he threatens here. Instead he will work diligently and just be rude and antagonistic to Jape (similar to how he treated Bansion, though more focused on physical violence). Just to note, Jarred hunts in complete darkness, using his Darkvision and Low-Light Vision to his advantage. He happily ambushes Jape from darkened doorways or corners anytime it won't hinder his rat-catching efforts.

Stealth (1d20+4)[8] vs DC 10 or fail to catch enough rats.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ogre in the Playground

Thysh leans over to Medlar and gives her a friendly nudge in the ribs. She nods towards Jarred, and says "Don't worry, his bark is more frequent and more liberally applied than his bite."

She laughs, and tries to encourage the swab to smile. She spends the rest of the day working, but takes the time to make sure Medlar has a half-decent time, joking and chatting as required. She tries to get a life story out of her new friend, listening intently when required. The day passes quickly enough, and she enjoys it, despite the swampy bilge and their arduous task.
    Show

Credit to DarkCorax.
    Credit to me.
    Credit to me.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Troll in the Playground

Petaba

Petaba rises for yet another day of backbreaking labor. These days were starting to blend into one another. It was just a monotony of dull drudgery, punctuated by moments of fear. These men in command were in the wrong profession - they should have been torturers. Petaba had thought the dragon to be a sadist, but the fight had shown that to maybe be wrong. He loved a good fight, glory, and gold, and there was nothing wrong with that. That distaste had to find a new target though, and it went straight to the top. They'd tried to kill the gnome, ostensibly for stealing, but that could have just been a lie to satisfy their bloodlust. If Petaba was posessed of half the magical potency old Tyrvus had had, he'd have sung Scourge, Plugg, and the rest of them into a watery grave.

For now though, there was nothing that could be done. Any fighting back would just mean a quick death. He goes with Catrina and Jack, coiling rope. In his mind, he is wrapping it around a whole assortment of necks.
    07/03/2018: I’m back. The long break was necessary.

Discord Tag #4097

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Kana woke up alone and irritable as she made her way topside. She tried to ignore the odd glower, probably over last nights food. As everyone else grimaced at the storm in the distance, the druid looked down at her hands, wiggling a couple of bony fingers as she did. Little bits of electricity sparkled across them, as if calling out to the storm ahead. Kana snorted as she looked up. Maybe I'll find some f!cking answers in there.The thought is almost enough to bring a lopsided smile to her face, but then she gets her orders. F!cking Kroop. Fatso's gonna get me whipped again.

It's to her surprise that Kana finds the cook conscious. And drinking. But he seemed to be going about his tasks and Kana was not about to stop him. She didn't complain about the other times he'd gotten drunk, as she didn't really have anything to say to Kroop besides insults. Instead Kana quietly simmered and did as was asked. She only really spoke once the entire day, besides the odd grunt of asset or acknowledgment, "What's got you so sober? It the storm ahead?"
    Last edited by n0ble; 2016-07-20 at 09:06 PM.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

The Storm

The cry comes from the crow's nest, as Ratline spies something in the distance. "SAILS, OFF THE LARBOARD BOW!", his voice echoes over the crash of the Wormwood's serpentine prow breaking the ever-growing whitecaps. As though that were a hidden signal, just about everybody on the main deck snaps to attention. By this point, it's late enough in the day that most - if not all - of the jobs have been completed to various levels of satisfaction. But the officers don't seem all that keen on dispensing punishment today: not when there's a prize to be had, and all hands need to be bright and strong. Indeed, as those of you who press your way through the mass of bodies can see, there is clearly a set of sails on your horizon line. When asked about the colors, the halfling cries down that he thinks it's a Rahadoumi merchantman. Scourge, who stands with several of his remaining cronies, looks worriedly in Plugg's direction. The first mate's scowl has deepened into something of a smirk, as he turns over his shoulder to watch the silhouette of Captain Harrigan appear on the sterncastle.

"Listen up!" Harrigan's voice carries an air of command that Plugg could not conjure on the best of days. Even those firmly 'in your camp', as it were, immediately give the captain their ears. There are those who have clambered partway down the rigging to listen to Harrigan. "You've all proved your worth to me, time and again. Now prove it to yourselves, by trumps! That there, out in the waters, is the Man's Promise. She's a prize we've been chasing for a while, and today's the day we take her - no matter the cost!" The muscled Garundi points out at the flowing bits of cloth hovering over the dark abyss of the storm beyond. "Every man-jack of you knows what you're risking here today. But today's score isn't just about plunder. I'm not just going to make you rich, I'm not just going to make you strong... I'm going to make you the princes of the Shackles!" Harrigan's impromptu speech is taken up by a loud thump of approval as several members of the crew stomp their feet on the deck. The sound continues, until a kind of percussive applause shakes the Wormwood's decks. "Now step to, and look lively! Plugg'll tell you where to go." As the first mate doles out the assignments, numerous members of the crew break out into a new shanty to keep time.

Come all you young sailormen, listen to me,
    I'll sing you a song of the fish in the sea;
    And it's...

Windy weather, boys, stormy weather, boys,
    When the wind blows, we're all together, boys;
    Blow ye winds westerly, blow ye winds, blow,
    Jolly sou'wester, boys, steady she goes!

Meanwhile, Captain Harrigan takes the wheel, his good eye staring out at the storm as if to challenge the winds personally. The ship screams forward, barreling down on its prey as it heads further and further into the storm. As all of you get your respective tasks, you notice Scourge wheedle up to Plugg. "We're headed into that? But it's a ship killer, and no mistake." The first mate just shoves the bosun aside, muttering something about cowardice in the face of opportunity. Scourge simply slinks away, anxious to be anywhere but on the main deck, even as the rest of the crew sallies aloft. Nobody is to be spared: if you are to catch the Man's Promise before you're in the thick of the storm, you'll need every inch of the ship operating at full speed.

Show
    I've already rolled all of the assignments for the 'storm shift' in the OOC, so as soon as everyone makes their rolls and heads into position, I'll continue. I won't be skipping anybody this time - this is a great opportunity for some roleplaying for everyone, despite the upcoming penalties to Perception checks due to wind.

Oh, and you're all welcome to add to the sea shanty of course. There's no mechanical effect here, I just thought it'd be a cool addition to the scene if we were all to post one stanza and then one refrain of the chorus. You're also welcome to add your own lyrics if you like. I've got the link here.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2017-01-07 at 09:05 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

19. - Top - End - #289

NecromancerGuy

After a slow day of rat catching Jarred is not upset to have the Bloody Hour delayed. "It would have been my hide for sure today - damned work for someone like me. Dragons don't sneak!" he mutters, mostly to himself as the wind starts to pick up. He listens to the captain's speech, his interest piqued at the challenge and boast of making the crew into princes. With a shrug he accepts his assignment, smiling as he sees his sister join him to climb to the crow's nest. "It's about time we work together some!" he yells over the approaching storm.

Jarred takes the climb very deliberately, not wishing to risk his neck too early in the night. He slips once, but catches hold of the rigging and keeps going. Once at the top he takes a deep breath of the fresher air before a massive bolt of lightning flashes. The smell of ozone follows the thunder, and he laughs exuberantly. "Now this is what I call sailing! Just imagine flying through this on powerful dragon wings! What a glorious feeling that would be!" he shouts happily. Turning towards the other vessel he peers out into the darkening sky towards the horizon, keeping the ship's sails in his sights...

Show
    Jarred fails to stay awake over night. I won't post to this effect yet - so that FarmerBink can engage in some sibling talk first, but would imagine that Catrina could try and wake him...?

He passes the Perception check. I am not sure what this means, but I presume it is a good thing.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Scaled barbarian

The lizard perked up at the cry of sails, eyes turning to the horizon to search for the ship. Eight days, and the whole world had been this ship. The flying creatures in the distance had been a tease, but this ... perhaps a chance to see others, and remember the world left behind.

The alpha male spoke, barking out words of inspiration to the crew. The beast cared nothing for the man's wants - eating and sleeping, work and pain was all that existed. But there was something in the man's voice, something in the promise. A challenge, then ... a chance to pit itself against the ship, against the storm, against another crew.

With a hiss, the black-scaled beast moved to the ropes, climbing up the ropes steadily. Fifty feet above the deck, the lizard tied a rope around its waist and worked the lines. The wind, the spray, the hunt ... this might just be the best day so far ...

Show
    Successes in the OOC!

Show
    F +4 R +1 W +1

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ogre in the Playground

Thysh follows her orders to the letter; there may be times for disobedience but this is not one of them. She runs to the ship's rail, uncleating ropes and relocking them at more appropriate lengths to let the sails billow in full. Despite her lack of understanding in how exactly the ropes work, she is pleased to see that her efforts bring her portions of the rigging into alignment with the others. Once she's finished the initial let, she stands ready to follow further orders as they come in.

It occurs to her that they're following the orders of a madman into an unopposable storm, but she can't help but smile nonetheless. It is thrilling, in a life-or-death sort of way, and it's not like she has any option other than to commit herself to the action in full.

Spoiler: Rolling the Dice of Fate
    Show
    Dexterity: (1d20+2)[20]
    Constitution: (1d20)[15]
    Last edited by Sen isSaqqara; 2016-07-21 at 09:58 AM.
    Show

Credit to DarkCorax.
    Credit to me.
    Credit to me.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

A stunned Catrina stands frozen in shock as Thysh is bodily hauled over the starboard rail- still more or less in one piece. Lost in thought, she deftly shunts the grog to one of Plugg's lackeys and stumbles to her cot early.

The next morning, storm clouds on the horizon, Catrina steps up to put a hand on Thysh's shoulder. The blue-haired Gnome looks back to see the same worn cards in front of her face. "I don't know how you did it, little one, but you can rest assured I'll never bet against you again!" The lithe young woman turns on her heels and follows Jack and Petaba to the ropes.

Fairly unfamiliar, after what seems like years of rat-catching, distracted by her perpetual inability to understand Thysh's survival, and still more than a little wary of the reserved Half-Orc, Catrina largely keeps her own peace as she works the ropes- her every move threatened by the growing clouds. A satisfied young pirate smiles at the collective work of the trio, as the storm clouds roll in. She turns to Petaba and Jack, and offers her first real overture to the bard. "Well, if we die tonight, it won't be our fault. For what that's worth..."

An eager gleam settles into the girl's eyes at mention of assured plunder. She gives Plugg a sharp salute, obviously excited to get her first taste of the pirate's life. Scaling the riggings with relative ease, Catrina laughs- a beautiful and eerie sound- as her brother makes his way upwards. A clarion call screams down from the lower riggings, as Catrina hangs one-handed on the ropes.

"Then up jumps the shark with his nine rows of teeth,
    Saying, "You eat the dough, boys, and I'll eat the beef!"

And it's windy weather, boys, stormy weather, boys,
    "

The breeze high off the deck carries both the redheads' hair into a brilliant flag of their own right- casting cares, concerns, and hesitance to the wind as the Wormwood barrels towards it's prey. "Only two promises for 'Man' tonight, Jarred! An early grave, and an empty hull!"

The winds bring rise to a brutal spray, and before long Catrina can't tell whether the water's spraying from the ocean or falling from the sky. Bitterly cold drops pelt her face and saturate the flag of defiance- plastering hair and clothing alike to the girl. More than a few times, she checks her bandolier, breathing a quiet sigh of relief to find that replacing it beneath her shirt has kept the gun and power both dry, despite the driving force of the storm. Still, nothing will help the fact that Catrina is proving herself woefully inept at lookout duties. Maybe it's for the best that damned lizard beat me up here, after all.

Unable to fully contain the frustration she feels at her own failure, and lacking a proper vent, Catrina takes some pitiful solace in the fact that rain hides tears.

23. - Top - End - #293

NecromancerGuy

As the long night drags on and their isolation makes both Bagrid siblings weary Jarred looks down more than once to see his sister distraught over something. "Dragons' teeth, sis, you know I never was very good at relating to people, but what has you so upset? We are up here, away from the rest of the crew and their dirt-for-brains officers, and no one is likely to bother us for hours. The weather blows - get it? 'blows!' heh... - but there's nothing wrong. I can still see the other ship's colors. There, see?" He points off into the darkness and rain. "You have to look for their lamplight from below and not let the lightning distract you. From here I cannot tell if they know we are on their tail, but it hardly matters in this storm. For better or worse, this too shall pass..."

As he realizes how poorly he is consoling her Jarred grows silent, his jaw clenching in frustration. Finally he has another thought and nods vigorously. "I saw how you reacted to Scourge's whipping several days ago. He's a bastard, cowardly and foolish. When we kill him, we can take it slow and make sure he suffers if you want. I know I do..." After a moment passes he then says, resignedly, "Come on, Catrina, it's not as much fun up here just me blustering like this. Buck up and talk to me some!"

For all his un-empathic social clumsiness, it is clear Jarred doesn't like to see his sister hurt and sad. Luckily none of the other pirates will ever see his weakness for her...

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

As Kana makes her way onto deck, her seemingly permanent scowl dissipates in the face of the rain. As she watches lightning peal the ships sides and the rain spatters down onto her skin, Kana relaxes considerably. Almost forgotten what water feels like on skin. While she doesn't give harridans word's much thought, her spirits are buoyed by Scourge's complaining in the face of pursuit. Instead she closes her eyes and tilts her head upwards, letting the rain fall onto her face before opening her eyes. As another bout of thunder goes about, she turns to Lodan and flashes him a true smile thats half full've wonder, not one of the lopsided sneers she's given others. "It's beautiful" His face helps to distract her from the anger she can hear in the thunder. Whoever's calling this squall down has the right of it. F!ck this ship.

As she gets her task Kana keeps her genuine smile, moving to the ship's ropes, coiling them, stowing them, and securing them to cleats and single and double bollards with an uncharacteristic enthusiasm and energy. Her whole body sparks up at her happiness as the druid works the ropes as only someone who's spent years on a boat can. It feels... good? The storm reciprocates her feelings, booming thunder down around the Wormwood. Always did enjoy a good storm, whether under the water or on it. Now if only I could be in the water for it...
    Last edited by n0ble; 2016-07-21 at 07:55 PM.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

While she waits for something else to pull, Thysh moves over towards where Kana is piling the ropes. After all, those are the same ropes she's going to have to throw around if things go south-ways. She catches the cook's eye when a suitable break appears, and nods slightly towards Plugg to point him out where he stands. Leaning in, she whispers: "Think I should summon up some extra water over his head? Give him an extra soaking? He'd never even notice." She grins, but suddenly jumps to attention as she is called away to attend to a loose line. It takes only a few seconds, then she's back by Kana's piles mid-deck. "So, shall I do it?"
    Show

Credit to DarkCorax.
    Credit to me.
    Credit to me.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ogre in the Playground

Elation

People bump into Lodan, as everyone presses forward at ratline's cry. Lodan sighs, putting his mop down. Lodan raises his eyes, and they narrow as he realizes the direction the crew is looking is the same the storm is. "Great," he adds, cold dismay in his face. This ship is madness. Yet there's suddenly even more hubbub and Lodan hears a booming voice covering it. Climbing on nearby rigging, to see over the crowd, Lodan beholds the imposing figure of Captain Barnabas Harrigan. He surprises himself nodding at the man's speech. "Great," Lodan adds, with a sardonic smile. Yet, the crew stomping their feet in unison achieves to lighten his mood. From where he is, he feels the weaves and shakes of the Wormwood with more intensity. He whoops from the lower rigging, more to take part in the general ado than as a real show of support for their captain. He gives a last look to the coming storm. "Great," he adds, a smile of defiance on his face. Down from the rigging, Plugg grabs Lodan's shoulder, "you, mainmast," barks the first mate, before pushing Lodan forward. "Great!" adds Lodan, beaming. At last! A real f!cking sailors task!

He sees Scourge coming to Plugg. Lodan laughs manically after overhearing the man's comment. "Concerned by a little rain, our master Scourge is, or maybe it's the coming fight that scares him?" he yells, before starting again with his half-mad laughter. Thing is, Lodan is scared both by the storm and the promise of a fight. Yet, seeing the crew running in every direction, acting together, showing no fear, he also feels far beyond elated.

As another bout of thunder goes about, on his way to the mast, Lodan cheers like a madman. He sees Kana turning towards him and smiling. Some part of him, deep under the adrenaline rush, is surprised by her smile. She is indeed beautiful when she acts like a regular person. "It's beautiful," she says. "Nah," replies Lodan, looking her in the eyes with a crazed charming smile, "gorgeous!" Before she knows what's going on, he grabs Kana and kisses her. He holds her briefly, then runs towards the mast.

Lodan arrives there just in time to leap forwards and grab a line with whom two crew-mates are struggling. Exhilarated, Lodan yells to the half-orc and the dragon-man, up on the rigging: "OI! FANE! BLACKSCALE! Hope you both ready for what's comin'!"

Lodan doesn't sing, he yells the chorus only, to give himself heart and make sure their voices cover the storm.

WINDY WEATHER, BOYS, STORMY WEATHER, BOYS!
    WHEN THE WIND BLOWS, WE'RE ALL TOGETHER, BOYS!
    BLOW YE WINDS WESTERLY, BLOW YE WINDS, BLOW!
    JOLLY SOU'WESTER, BOYS, STEADY SHE GOES!

As they progress into the storm, time disappears for Lodan, as he does his best to get the work done. Pull this line, climb here to grab that rope, run help this or that mate, relay orders as they come. Suddenly, a bigger wave washes on deck. Hundreds of pounds of water hit Lodan and project him over the deck. Half-stunned, he doesn't register who exactly drags him away from the mainmast and strap him down.

He sees a small house on a beach. He remembers running away, a bundle in his arms. Running, running, a storm behind him. He turns back to face the storm.

It must a few minutes before he gets back his wits. Both Scourge and Plugg, busy shouting orders or helping where they can, don't seem to be paying him any attention. Lodan slips below-deck, towards the quartermaster's shop. F!ck keelhauling.

Show
    Does Sneak Attack damage apply on kisses?

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Kana's smile falters into a look of slight confusion as Thysh speaks to her. But it still has a look wonder about it. "Y-You can do that? Create water out of nothing, just like tha-" A loud bout of thunder drowns out the last part of her question before Thysh gets recalled for a moment. In that time, Kana manages to coil more rope, skin alight with sparks that she hardly seems to notice. As the tiny one returns Kana traces her gaze around the ship, taking in what the lightning and thunder are saying, before settling it on Thysh with a smile "Aheh. I don't see how more water could hurt"
    Last edited by n0ble; 2016-07-22 at 07:18 AM.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ogre in the Playground

Thysh watches Lodan dance by, kiss and all, as she draws some subtle magic into her hands. The little water spirits dance between her fingers, ready to start pumping out ice-cold water. Her eyes follow Lodan as he leaves for the mainmast.

"Y'know, I'd offer to soak him instead but I think he might just enjoy it..." She looks back to Kana. "Still, if you want me to..."
    Show

Credit to DarkCorax.
    Credit to me.
    Credit to me.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

A few times, before the storm is truly raging, Jarred succeeds in pointing out the Man's Promise's colors. More often than not, he unintentionally exacerbates Catrina's frustration. A few times she claims to see a ship she doesn't, before giving him an irritated scowl- "No, I don't see it, 'just there!'" she cries in exhaustion and irritation. "I can't see anything just anywhere in this blasted storm! I don't know how you can, but maybe- just maybe it'll save me from the damned lash, too!" Over the gale of the wind, there's no way anyone on deck heard her angry outburst.

She goes back to muttering irritably until Jarred mentions making Scourge suffer. Only then does he draw an honestly eager expression to Catrina's face. She nods slowly, envisioning the opportunity. Still fruitlessly, she turns her strained attention back to the general direction of the Man's Promise.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

As the Wormwood progresses further into the darkness, the whole main deck is miraculously keeping perfect time. Every swab, rigger, and mate on the ship has fallen into line, hauling rope and sail as a single unit, wasting no slack and sparing not a single knot in speed. Plugg and Scourge, no matter how hard they tried, could never hope to achieve such results at the end of a threat or a lash. The first mate stands on the deck, directing those like Thysh who haul lines, and the bosun is nowhere to be seen. Even those who would normally take the time to jeer or make your lives harder are right beside you, helping where needed. Evidently, they're taking the words of the song to heart.

"Up jumps the eel with his slippery tail,
    Climbs up aloft and reefs the topsail;
    And it's...

Jolly sou'wester, boys, steady she goes!"

And in the midst of it all, Captain Harrigan steers the ship forward like a madman straight from Hell. The only sound you can hear over the crack of the oncoming thunder and the cries of those singing the shanty is the occasional laugh of the man at the helm. As the minutes stretch into hours, the Wormwood becomes almost an extension of his will; he moves, and this miniature world moves according to every command. Nonetheless, you can see the flickering lanterns of the Man's Promise outlined ahead through the squall as they slowly disappear. Elation turns to frustration as you realize that despite your best efforts, your prey is slipping through your fingers.

Up in the rigging, there are those who begin to lose your momentum. The constant battering of wind and rain as any trace of light is stolen from the sky is bound to sap the energy out of some sailors, and eventually those of you still at it can spot a few who have nodded off out of exhaustion. Both Jack Scrimshaw and Barefoot Toppin are among those who are on the midst of collapsing, and Petaba is already out from the continued strain. There will be no evening meal tonight, not really; after a few hours, a hard biscuit is delivered to each of the hands as their ration for the night. It'll be a long stretch until morning.

"Up jumps the whale, the largest of all,
    'If you want any wind, well, I'll blow ye a squall!'
    And it's...

Jolly sou'wester, boys, steady she goes..."

It's dark by the time any sign of the Man's Promise disappears. There is no doubt that somebody in the crow's nest will be taking the blame for losing a good haul. Of course, given the conditions, they can hardly shoulder all of the blame, but you trust that the officers in charge will find a way. Harrigan stays on the helm for quite some time, apparently tireless, but he lets out a growl of frustration not too far after midnight. Of course, stopping in the midst of this squall is not advisable. The waves are near thirty feet tall now, massive walls of ocean that crash against the hull and wash over the deck. Those of you in the rigging aren't much better off, between the wind whipping at your ears and rain getting into every nook and crevice, slicking the ropes and making them all that much harder to navigate.

At some point during the night - not long after the ship is hit by a particularly nasty wave - a few of you on the planks realize that Thysh is missing. Her vial of holy water rattles around on the deck, little more than a piece of flotsam without somebody to pick it up. Looking around in the dim, you can see that the blue gnome is nowhere to be found on the deck, or anywhere at all. She must have been knocked overboard, without anyone to even see her go.

Show
    As per the weather rules, your characters are now in the midst of a windstorm. That means that ranged attacks are now impossible. The AP normally has the option of throwing the overboard sailor a rope, but then details a ranged touch attack. I am not giving you that option, since it doesn't make a whole lot of sense in this context.

Zeno, you'll need to make two consecutive DC 20 Swim checks within 8 checks in order to swim back to the Wormwood, otherwise Thysh will be lost at sea.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2016-07-22 at 03:54 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.