New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 51 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Default Re: Class and Level Geekery II

Shojo has lost 6 points of con due to age. Even if he started at 12, he would be 6 now.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, the funky green glow around his sword indicates to me that, at a minimum, Roy's greatsword +5 is also bane to anybody forsaken by the gods (which would include undead, Sabine and, now, Miko).
    Here is a numbering of all character appearances in OOTS

3. - Top - End - #423

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Actually, I think it just lights up when he is under strong emotion, namely, rage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terraneaux View Post
    Adventurers. Murderous hobos with near-deific power who are both merciless and incredibly competent at personal combat.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #424
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Watching Miko in #408 pretty well pegged her as far as level goes: she made three katana attacks per round, meaning that her BAB is no higher than +15. We know that she has a "couple" of levels of monk, which would result in 1 point of lost BAB for anything from one to four levels. Therefore, she is no higher than 16th level, but probably higher level than the OotS. Best guess would probably put her at Paladin (now Fallen Paladin) 14/Monk 2.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Ogre in the Playground

I agree with eilandesq's reasoning.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eilandesq View Post
    Watching Miko in #408 pretty well pegged her as far as level goes: she made three katana attacks per round, meaning that her BAB is no higher than +15. We know that she has a "couple" of levels of monk, which would result in 1 point of lost BAB for anything from one to four levels. Therefore, she is no higher than 16th level, but probably higher level than the OotS. Best guess would probably put her at Paladin (now Fallen Paladin) 14/Monk 2.
    I would put her at Monk2/Ranger2/Paladin12
    she tracks, she's a little sneaky, she two-weapon fights, and her armor doesn't look particularly heavy. I don't recall her using much in the way of paladin spells, though I have a bad memory for this kind of stuff.

I could definitely see her going blackguard from this point... I could also see belkar killing her, Death Knight Miko would be pretty cool too...
    it's true a single action wouldn't necessarily change someone's alignment, but it easily could. alignment isn't a rating of past actions, it's literally the characters current outlook and temperment. Past actions are only used to rate alignment when the charcetr usually walks the same path, Miko could easily suffer a breakdown from this turn of events and have a rather sudden alignment shift. This is all entirely depended on what is going on in Miko's head. We must all remembver that believing yourself to be just and good is not even a requirement for being just and good, let alone does this attitude solely allow someone to remain good. a character can be extremely evil without ever believing himself to be.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

She took survival as a cross class skill and only put one point in it. She also took Track as a feat.

8. - Top - End - #428

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by plainsfox View Post
    She took survival as a cross class skill and only put one point in it. She also took Track as a feat.
    Already noted

EDIT: Oh, wait... that was a response to someone else. Never mind.
    Last edited by Runolfr; 2007-02-01 at 02:55 PM.
    "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!" -- Conan, on what is best in life

"A good plan, executed violently now, is better than a perfect plan next week." -- George S. Patton, Jr.

9. - Top - End - #429

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecan View Post
    Well, the funky green glow around his sword indicates to me that, at a minimum, Roy's greatsword +5 is also bane to anybody forsaken by the gods (which would include undead, Sabine and, now, Miko).
    "Your sword will sometimes glow with a deadly green energy that is particularly harmful to the undead" (strip 297). In other words, the energy appears regardless of its target but does extra damage to undead, so we can't deduce anything from the fact that it appears in the Sabine and Miko fights.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Firbolg in the Playground

Given that the smith thought this was a bad thing, I would deduce that the energy harms Roy as well, though perhaps not as much as whatever the blade's going into.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

11. - Top - End - #431
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, Sabine and Miko's reaction to it indicates to me that it does extra damage to more than just the undead. I doubt it hurts Roy. The blacksmith was just thinking aesthetics -- maybe Roy didn't want his sword to glow.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

Roy Greenhilt
    Lawful Good, Human Male Fighter 13
    Attributes (28 pt buy min):
    Str ≥17

I'm confused, how does 0004 show that Roy has a strength ≥ 17?

13. - Top - End - #433

Quote Originally Posted by jakeyizle View Post
    I'm confused, how does 0004 show that Roy has a strength ≥ 17?
    He picks up and runs with . That takes at least 17 Str.
    Treasurer of the Fan Club. (And in desperate need of donations).

A fan before it was cool.

Probationary conscript of the Fan Club.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

14. - Top - End - #434

Well, Sabine and Miko's reaction to it indicates to me that it does extra damage to more than just the undead. I doubt it hurts Roy. The blacksmith was just thinking aesthetics -- maybe Roy didn't want his sword to glow.
    We're talking about a +5 sword together with an energy effect described as "deadly". I think their reactions are easily justified without needing recourse to extra damage depending on the victim (beyond what is stated about the effect on undead).

15. - Top - End - #435
    Ogre in the Playground

Except the glow doesn't happen every time he fights, and when he strikes and it is glowing, the victim always utters a cry of pain. That indicates ot me something unusual is happening.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Orc in the Playground

I agree. Sabine says: (I'm to lazy to see if I got the qoute exactly right) I don't know how you did that, but I'm going to make you pay!

That implies that that stroke hurt more then the others (and she does already have wounds from the sword).
    Merfyn, Level 80 Paladin
    Caddoc, Level 80 Warlock

Proud owner of a vintage Disatar!

17. - Top - End - #437

How certain are we that she is only level 2 in monk -- that run speed looks to be faster than 30' and you get that at level 3 not 2.

18. - Top - End - #438

Chimera

Perhaps the glow affects all evil aligned characters (I'm not getting into whether Miko is no longer LG or not - you can decide for yourself) and undead in particular. 1.5x for evil, non-undead, 2x for undead?

And I'm not sure that it deals damage to Roy, I thought that was just part of the ha-ha in the strip.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by silvadel View Post
    How certain are we that she is only level 2 in monk -- that run speed looks to be faster than 30' and you get that at level 3 not 2.
    Her running speed is 120' (light armor). She used stunning fist so he wouldn't get an attack of opportunity when she fled. (So she's clearly running faster than withdrawal speeds).

Clearly, she is getting ready to make an Overrun attempt on Belkar, and hoping his AoO fails (likely because she overheard them talking about the Mark of Justice).

20. - Top - End - #440

Sigh -- I was talking about >30 base speed -- yes that would translate into 80 or 160 feet here depending on if she is getting a standard action and partial run after kicking Roy or a full run.

21. - Top - End - #441
    Dwarf in the Playground

What is Hinjo's Sword?

I'm not an experience DnD gamer, but I will try a guess and answer my own question.

Somebody mentioned on the first page of the 409 Discussion page that they thought that the sword was made of cold iron which I checked up on by looking at comic #62 which had Haley's arrow the same dark color.

Then I thought about people saying that Miko may not be able to use her own sword, or it would be less effective, because of her fall. Some one mentioned the Holy Avenger. Seeing how Hinjo's sword had a special color, I went to look for a special sword on d20srd.org that was also made of cold iron.

Looky what I found

So I think it is a either a normal sword that happens to be made of cold iron, or a Holy Avenger.

Also, anyone willing to venture a guess as to what Hinjo's stats are, based on the Miko-Hinjo fight? I like reading what people think their abilities are, and the debates that follow.
    Last edited by Mr Wizard; 2007-02-02 at 11:53 PM.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Wizard View Post
    What is Hinjo's Sword?

I'm not an experience DnD gamer, but I will try a guess and answer my own question.

Somebody mentioned on the first page of the 409 Discussion page that they thought that the sword was made of cold iron which I checked up on by looking at comic #62 which had Haley's arrow the same dark color.

Then I thought about people saying that Miko may not be able to use her own sword, or it would be less effective, because of her fall. Some one mentioned the Holy Avenger. Seeing how Hinjo's sword had a special color, I went to look for a special sword on d20srd.org that was also made of cold iron.

Looky what I found

So I think it is a either a normal sword that happens to be made of cold iron, or a Holy Avenger.

Also, anyone willing to venture a guess as to what Hinjo's stats are, based on the Miko-Hinjo fight? I like reading what people think their abilities are, and the debates that follow.
    Great catch!

I'm going to mention this in the discussion thread (linking to your post of course) since people have been wondering about the sword.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2007-02-03 at 12:07 AM.

23. - Top - End - #443

Chimera

So cold iron is coloured black?

24. - Top - End - #444

SamuraiGirl

Hey, sorry for the slight derail, but does the OP represent the general consensus for everyone's stats, etc?

I picked up a copy of Icewind Dale II the other day and this weekend I was wanting to try and make a party as close to the OotS as possible.
    Last edited by Solara; 2007-02-03 at 12:53 AM.
    Google query for the Giant's posts, for those of us who think they're way more interesting than yet another speculation thread but don't have time to read every thread on the forum to find one he's posting in.

25. - Top - End - #445
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Krytha View Post
    So cold iron is coloured black?
    Probably. I've never seen anything in real life la bled cold iron, but cast iron frying pans are black, and wrought iron railings are black. According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_iron cold iron is a kind of wrought iron.

26. - Top - End - #446

Except the glow doesn't happen every time he fights, and when he strikes and it is glowing, the victim always utters a cry of pain. That indicates ot me something unusual is happening.
    From the two times we've seen it so far, I would guess that the glow occurs when Roy's feeling particularly strong emotions of anger/hate/whatever towards his opponent. The victim utters a cry of pain -- obviously -- because they've been hit by a "deadly" energy effect. To make it crystal clear: I agree that the energy effect increases the damage done by the sword (how else could "deadly" be interpreted?) What I don't agree with is that it did any extra damage to Miko as opposed to the damage it would do if Roy were fighting, for example, Haley.

27. - Top - End - #447
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Norbert View Post
    From the two times we've seen it so far, I would guess that the glow occurs when Roy's feeling particularly strong emotions of anger/hate/whatever towards his opponent.
    Or maybe since the blacksmith was speaking in "game terms" the "some times glows with..." could mean glows on a critical strike? I mean Roy did have to get her to come out an say +5 greatsword.
    Last edited by baerdith; 2007-02-04 at 04:17 PM.
    Bard with the self-discipline of a kitten on cocaine....
    The "Tiny Firebreathing Avatar of Death!" himself!

I am a Neutral Good Human Bard/Wizard (6th/4th Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 12
    Dexterity- 15
    Constitution- 12
    Intelligence- 18
    Wisdom- 16
    Charisma- 16

28. - Top - End - #448
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I've been wondering something...
    Shouldn't Elan have 1 level of Wizard? I know he can use it, unless he increased his intelligence, but he did take it.http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0127.html

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 12
    Dexterity- 15
    Constitution- 12
    Intelligence- 18
    Wisdom- 16
    Charisma- 16

29. - Top - End - #449
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by baerdith View Post
    I've been wondering something...
    Shouldn't Elan have 1 level of Wizard? I know he can use it, unless he increased his intelligence, but he did take it.http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0127.html
    He was going to take a level of wizard, but he changed his mind in the next strip.
    Actually ... being a wizard kind of sounds like a downer. I think I'll stick with bard.

30. - Top - End - #450
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Christine View Post
    He was going to take a level of wizard, but he changed his mind in the next strip.
    Actually ... being a wizard kind of sounds like a downer. I think I'll stick with bard.
    "All I have to do is decide to take a level of wizard and BOOM! Instant knowledge."

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 12
    Dexterity- 15
    Constitution- 12
    Intelligence- 18
    Wisdom- 16
    Charisma- 16