New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 51 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323348 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Changing Perception of V's Gender

I've always, since the first comic, viewed V as male, though I'm not sure why. In fact, I even have to occasionally remind myself when reading that V is ambiguous, in order to get some of the jokes concerning said ambiguity.

2. - Top - End - #662
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

I started out thinking Vaarsuvius was male, probably because the name sounds like an ancient Roman man's name. Lately, I have started to think V is female, possibly because of being epically badass. That should be a female trait, I think.

I am not eager to know the answer. I have a wonderful time posting comments about Vaarsuvius without using any gender pronouns, while trying to make the text flow rather than sounding forced. Trying to do that is more fun than knowing V's actual gender.

3. - Top - End - #663
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

I have never thought of V as anything other than male, and it puzzles me somewhat when everyone says how androgynous they find him...

4. - Top - End - #664
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I personally find both Vaarsuvius and Inkyrius as very androgynous -- neither V nor Kyrie strike me as "masculine" the way Belkar and Roy do, nor do they strike me as "feminine" the way Haley and Celia do. Yet, in their androgyny, I find that V and Kyrie both, for mean, lean towards femininity -- so were I to classify them, ignoring the fact that one should absolutely never classify another human (or elf) being by gender, it would be as "androgynous, but with feminine overtones." I find myself using "she" and "her" when thinking about this elven couple, and I've always seen V as in that shade between feminine and androgynous. I have tried to think of the two as masculine, just to see how it felt, and it was, for me, very difficult. And I sort of like this ambiguity; it would spoil something for me, I think, if V's gender, or Kyrie's, were revealed.

As for the changing perception of V's gender ... I've got to say, the long purple hair and pink speech bubbles don't help give me a "male" feeling. But, again, to each his own.

Just my two cents.
    Kindergarten teacher for the Kyrie fanclub!

Here's hoping that everything will be all right between and

5. - Top - End - #665
    Halfling in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

I initially saw V as somewhat more male than female, but when I saw the big ol' runic pink triangle, I starting thinking of him/her as kind of a butch lesbian. I can't really be specific as to why. It's just my current impression.

Of course, as many have pointed out in the past, V's gender is very intentionally ambiguous, and something important would be lost if we ever got direct confirmation.

6. - Top - End - #666
    Bugbear in the Playground

When I first started reading the comic, I pegged V as female. It took me quite a while to catch on to the fact that V was ambiguously gendered. To this day, I still mentally regard V as being female, and unless V's gender is explicitly stated, I don't think there's anything that would change my mind on the subject.

However, I also see Kyrie as female, and although it's a popular theory floated around these boards, I don't see the pair as homosexual. So I must be wrong on at least one of these counts. But, even though my mental picture isn't internally consistent, I'm not terribly interested in correcting it.
    Last edited by rgrekejin; 2009-04-07 at 04:40 PM.

7. - Top - End - #667
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Well, I definitely always saw V as having some feminine traits, but I always had those pegged to just the general "femininity", if you will, of the Elvish race. Not to say that Elves can't be masculine, but I think that in general, Elves possess certain features (longer hair, lack of facial hair, longer average lifespan, ability and desire to think before acting) that are generally, to humans at least, associated with females.

8. - Top - End - #668
    Orc in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

I've always thought of V as male... it's partly the name, partly the assumption that Rich initially intended him to be male and didn't realize the androgyny until reading the forums, and partly just my assumptions about his behavior.
    It's a lot more common to accidentally make an Elven male androgynous than to accidentally make an Elven female androgynous, given that the stereotypical behaviors and appearances of the race lean more towards feminine than masculine.

Kyrie I'm pretty sure is male. Since V doesn't seem to have a clear concept of gender, I don't really think of him as "gay"... more "I love this person almost as much as I love magic". Male or female wouldn't make much difference to him.

For some reason I think of the kids as being one of each.

9. - Top - End - #669
    Ogre in the Playground

V's a hermaphrodite.

Less flippantly though: I've always thought of V as male and continue to do so. As for why Haley wanted to share a room with him: probably because she knew he had no interest in her sexually, even in a casual sense, either because she already knew he was married (I forget if she was surprised, or even present, when he mentioned that) or because she knew he only considered her an adventuring ally.
    Last edited by Shpadoinkle; 2009-04-07 at 06:04 PM.

10. - Top - End - #670
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Penquin47 View Post
    It's a lot more common to accidentally make an Elven male androgynous than to accidentally make an Elven female androgynous, given that the stereotypical behaviors and appearances of the race lean more towards feminine than masculine.
    Precisely. Just as it would be more common to have a female dwarf mistaken for a male dwarf than the other way around.

(...hopefully this statement won't lead to people arguing about Durkon's gender. )

Quote Originally Posted by Shpadoinkle View Post
    Less flippantly though: I've always thought of V as male and continue to do so. As for why Haley wanted to share a room with him: probably because she knew he had no interest in her sexually, even in a casual sense, either because she already knew he was married (I forget if she was surprised, or even present, when he mentioned that) or because she knew he only considered her an adventuring ally.
    And I believe Haley's response to everyone else finding out about V's mate was "Wait, you guys didn't know V was married?"
    Last edited by JJ48; 2009-04-07 at 06:08 PM.

11. - Top - End - #671
    Barbarian in the Playground

I've always seen V as a male. Call me sexist, but I can really only see a man as harsh and blunt as V manages to be sometimes. Also, Kyrie has a very "motherly" vibe for me, establishing her as female in my mind.
    The above posts may will contain varying amounts of egotism.

And so will this signature. Come visit my Youtube channel here.

12. - Top - End - #672
    Titan in the Playground

I always thought that V was female. And even now when I read V has a female tone of voice in my head. But if you ever catching me say "he", I'm saying it generally, because I do not know which gender V is.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

13. - Top - End - #673
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Eh, i'm pretty sure Kyrie is male and so i'll say V is female. Never saw V as a gay person.
    Last edited by Calmness; 2009-04-07 at 08:16 PM.

14. - Top - End - #674

I always thought, personally, that V was a girl. And Kyrie struck me as male. Dunno why. But what I DO know, is I don't know(Emphasis on KNOW. It is different to 'believe') what gender they are. What we have is just a perception on what sex they are that is totally subjective and has nothing to do with the fact that we, indeed, don't have a friggin idea of what in the 9 hells V and K are.(I'm exaggerating that last part a bit, BTW)

Edit: And V could be homosexual, bi, whatsoever. It's just I don't get that feeling.
    Last edited by NamonakiRei; 2009-04-07 at 08:11 PM.
    An eye for an eye will make us all blind - Mahatma Ghandi.
    Technically, Fire is a chemical process, wherein Oxygen, a fuel, and heat trigger a quick, heat-releasing oxidative reaction that produces carbon dioxide and water vapor. This process is called Combustion. They're not called Combustionals, you know?
    Also Water is a molecule, Air is a bunch of different molecules, and don't let me get started on Earth.
    (Sorry, I'm a Chemist, can't resist.)

15. - Top - End - #675

I've always thought of V as female, then when she started deteriorating I started using male pronouns more often, then uber-V seems more female than ever. I'm actually a little shocked people see Kyrie as anything other than male, pigtail aside. Which is odd, because the main reason I see V as female is the hair, and Aarindarius' hair is not that different yet I see him as male...

98% of the internet has a Myspace. If you're one of the 2% who isn't an emo whiner, show solidarity by putting this in your sig.

Instead, I have a blog and web site: http://morganwick.com Tweeter: http://twitter.com/morganwick Webcomic (not really OOTS-related): http://morganwick.freehostia.com/webcomic

Official self-appointed former commentator for The Sticks Awards.

16. - Top - End - #676
    Troll in the Playground

They both seem very male to me.

But I still maintain that V is a male gnome sitting on a female gnome's shoulders.
    Thanks Uncle Festy for the wonderful Ashling Avatar
    I make music

17. - Top - End - #677
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

I've always seen him as a male since #1. The inn scene with Haley didn't change that, I just assumed there was some untold backstory between the two that made Haley trust V more. I also definitely see Kyrie as a male.

But I guess we'll never know for sure.

18. - Top - End - #678

Quote Originally Posted by Penquin47 View Post
    I've always thought of V as male... it's partly the name, partly the assumption that Rich initially intended him to be male and didn't realize the androgyny until reading the forums, and partly just my assumptions about his behavior.
    Agree. I've always seen V as male. I've never seen a manly elf-woman, but they've got some pretty men.

Quote Originally Posted by Shpadoinkle View Post
    As for why Haley wanted to share a room with him: probably because she knew he had no interest in her sexually, even in a casual sense, either because she already knew he was married (I forget if she was surprised, or even present, when he mentioned that) or because she knew he only considered her an adventuring ally.
    Or because he's gay. Inkyrius seems male to me, too. Partly because of "ius," partly because of the body shape. Although he does seem more feminine than V does, to me.
    Done here. Thanks, friends.

19. - Top - End - #679

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Lately, I have started to think V is female, possibly because of being epically badass. That should be a female trait, I think.
    Vaarsuvius certainly looked like a witch gone bad in the transformation strip!

The first time I saw the strip, Vaarsuvius reminded me of a transgendered person, so I never had a problem with the sexual ambiguity. By now, I just think of Vaarsuvius as Vaarsuvius, with gender not mattering.

Given that, I've had little problem reserving judgement on Inkyrius. It's somewhat amusing to think of Inkyrius as gay and Vaarsuvius as lesbian, with their discovering their sexual orientations too late.

20. - Top - End - #680
    Orc in the Playground

End all be all answer: V is a hermaphrodite.
    Djinn_in_Tonic avatar. I owe him a big thank you.

21. - Top - End - #681
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

[QUOTE=Nymyrra;5968334]I personally find both Vaarsuvius and Inkyrius as very androgynous -- neither V nor Kyrie strike me as "masculine" the way Belkar and Roy do, nor do they strike me as "feminine" the way Haley and Celia do. Yet, in their androgyny, I find that V and Kyrie both, for mean, lean towards femininity -- so were I to classify them, ignoring the fact that one should absolutely never classify another human (or elf) being by gender, it would be as "androgynous, but with feminine overtones." I find myself using "she" and "her" when thinking about this elven couple, and I've always seen V as in that shade between feminine and androgynous. I have tried to think of the two as masculine, just to see how it felt, and it was, for me, very difficult. And I sort of like this ambiguity; it would spoil something for me, I think, if V's gender, or Kyrie's, were revealed.QUOTE]

Er...
    This may be the first post I have ever completely agreed with on these forums.
    I guess it goes without saying that I support this. Although I did say it.
    Quote Originally Posted by [TS] Shadow View Post
    Make him watch High School Musical. That'll kill anything.
    30 people want more Thog. If YOU want more Thog, pm me.

22. - Top - End - #682
    Titan in the Playground

oh yet ANOTHER V's gender discussion. SMITE EVIL THREAD!

seriously haven't there been enough of these? if the giant feels the need to reveal V's gender he will. I personally believe V to be female

23. - Top - End - #683

I don't know why it would've changed.

From the first page I assumed Varsuuvius was male (in fact, it took me a while to realise it was supposed to be ambiguous), so I've never really stopped thinking that. And the same goes for Inkyrius now.

I guess if all elves we had ever seen in the comic were androgynous, then I'd probably stop making any assumptions at all about them, but so far all of the elves we know to be female have been obviously female.

24. - Top - End - #684

The way I perceive V's gender or that of any elf really has been irrevocably changed by this
    Spoiler
    Show
    OotS Fan-fiction (An alternate OotS-verse starting after page 603. If you want to read it go here)

bad Erf-poetry

and other sillyness.

25. - Top - End - #685
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I'm confused, really... I always thought V was male - you know, the lack of all the, erm, female attributes? - but now Inkyrius seems to be male, and so does V... Maybe they're gay? Wouldn't be surprised, since they have 'adopted progeny'.

26. - Top - End - #686

Quote Originally Posted by theburningfield View Post
    if the giant feels the need to reveal V's gender he will.
    The thread isn't about what V's gender actually is. It's about whether our personal perceptions of him (or her) have changed. Obviously none of us knows for sure what gender V is. I haven't seen anyone post in this thread claiming they do.
    Done here. Thanks, friends.

27. - Top - End - #687
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Strip 135 uses the feminine pronoun to describe Varsuvius, but I suppose the shopkeepers could have just made an assumption. I always thought V was male till someone told me it was meant to be ambiguous.

28. - Top - End - #688
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Edna View Post
    Has anyone else had a recent change of heart about V's gender? Since the beginning, I have always thought of V as female, without being able to pinpoint why. However, over the course of the last few strips, I've started to think of V as male.

Edna
    Female.

Shes shared rooms with Haley.

EJL

29. - Top - End - #689

Quote Originally Posted by Selene View Post
    The thread isn't about what V's gender actually is. It's about whether our personal perceptions of him (or her) have changed. Obviously none of us knows for sure what gender V is. I haven't seen anyone post in this thread claiming they do.
    I do! I do!

No wait, nevermind.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Piggie View Post
    Strip 135 uses the feminine pronoun to describe Varsuvius, but I suppose the shopkeepers could have just made an assumption. I always thought V was male till someone told me it was meant to be ambiguous.
    People have used female pronouns at other times. Male ones too. See?

Quote Originally Posted by KyrtFurey View Post
    Female.

Shes shared rooms with Haley.

EJL
    They're old friends, and Haley knows V's married.

As for me, I always thought V was a guy, and was unaware of any ambiguity until I read the forums. I haven't seen anything yet to change my mind.
    Last edited by The Minx; 2009-04-08 at 09:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Face Of Evil View Post
    Dungeons and Dragons are SERIOUS BUSINESS!
    Thanks to Bisected8 for the avatar.

30. - Top - End - #690
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Assuming there must be 1 male and 1 female elf to make children.

V is definately male by process of elimination.

V's spouse is clearly female. Only a wife would begin nagging and complaining about how she was rescued from certain doom in under 5 minutes.

Which leaves V's role as husband.