New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 48 of 51 FirstFirst ... 233839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 1516
  1. - Top - End - #1411
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: Proof that Vaarsuvius is a dude

Remember that one time in a hotel where Haley and V were sharing a room? Complete and utter proof V is female.

Or proof that it could go either way, and you shouldn't really care.

2. - Top - End - #1412
    Dwarf in the Playground

Not sure if related, but if you search up bdsm blogs around the internet, you'll find ladies who get addressed by that title all the time
    ░Avatar altered from sensate's░

3. - Top - End - #1413
    Barbarian in the Playground

Meh, I always viewed him as male and the whole ambiguous gender thing as a joke at the expense of forumites who can't tell whether a character with long hair is male or female. Though I believe you're right, mind you.

4. - Top - End - #1414
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chernobyl View Post
    In #792, Vaarsuvius' familiar calls him "my master." Not "my mistress." Sorry Rich, but it looks like you've been betrayed by your own grammar.

Now Vaarsuvius is only keeper of 999 secrets.
    well, what you did there is assume that the english language has gender equality for titles. it dosen't. it is a common mistake though, especially if your used to languages that do diferentiate (most of them)

Master is the correct term, as here are a few of master's meanings. note they're not all male

because V gives orders/commands to Blackwing, V is blacking's master.

also, when someone's Gender is not specified, the Male is always used in grammer.
    Last edited by BlackestOfMages; 2011-05-25 at 04:21 PM.

5. - Top - End - #1415

EvilClericGuy

Eh, I'd argue that pretty much any definition of "master" that would apply in a wizard/familiar relationship is masculine. Most gender-neutral forms of the word are either adjectives or verbs; the only noun forms without a distinct masculine implication are highly specific (such as in chess) and not relevant to V.

Equally, I don't see how that constitutes any evidence of V actually being male. All it would mean is that Blackwing considers V to be male. In fact, even if Blackwing actually knew that V was male, it wouldn't mean anything unless we were told about it; for all we know, Blackwing's just making a guess.

Personally, I've always considered V to be male because his actions and mannerisms have generally been more stereotypically male, but that's really just my preconceptions at work. There's not really any evidence at all for either side of the debate, and since the author himself has explicitly said that there will never be any decisive evidence for either side, the argument seems a little pointless.

My only real beef is with the people who insist on using bizarre, made-up pronouns for V - just pick "he" or "she" or "they" and stick with it, guys.

6. - Top - End - #1416

MindFlayer

I think that there is a very slightly greater chance for V to be female. The thing is, I've noticed a lot of 'hero groups' where there are 3 guys and 2 girls I can't think of any other than the cartoon "Teen Titans" right off of my head, but I've seen a pattern like that.
    My characters: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetindex.php?sg=41703

GENERATION 7D: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add applesauce to the generation. This is a social experiment.

7. - Top - End - #1417
    Ettin in the Playground

I say V was supposed to be a male based on the fact that DCF commentary says V's gender ambiguity was made canon in response to V's gender discussion, and the gender discussion started after Roy called Vaarsuvius "V-Man."
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

8. - Top - End - #1418
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zyborg View Post
    I think that there is a very slightly greater chance for V to be female. The thing is, I've noticed a lot of 'hero groups' where there are 3 guys and 2 girls I can't think of any other than the cartoon "Teen Titans" right off of my head, but I've seen a pattern like that.
    There are a lot of these, sure:

Power Rangers
    Scooby-Doo
    Kids Next Door
    Airbender
    Planeteers

On the other hand, there are plenty of 5-man bands with only one girl too:

Rescue Rangers
    Thundercats
    Aladdin
    Silverhawks
    Talespin

So it can still go either way.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

9. - Top - End - #1419

AssassinGuy

In English, if a noun has both a male and female variations, then the male version is acceptable when referring to either gender, while the female version is not. Blame it on the patriarchy.

Just out of curiosity, I know that there have been efforts to translate OOTS into other languages. How is V handled in languages that require gender-specific nouns? I'm thinking that even if V talks about him/herself, it would betray his/her gender. For example, in French, whether he calls himself a "magicien" or she calls herself "magicienne."

Of course, I think we're all assuming something here and that's the idea that elven biology even remotely resembles that of the human body. Perhaps elves don't have gender. Perhaps they reproduce through mitosis, like bacteria. Or, maybe, they are all borne from a Hive Queen, and the young are adopted by elders to be raised into adulthood, like termites. Or, when a elf reaches the limits of their age, they bud off into a swarm of polyps that attach themselves to an organic host and slowly morph their host's physiology until it resembles what we think of as an elven form.

Now you could argue that the fact that there are half-elf, half-human hybrids demonstrates that the biology must be compatible. But I'd also point out that half-dragons, half-lizards, half-orcs, and all sorts of half-whatevers exist as well, which, besides suggesting at that the creators of DND have some fundamental misunderstandings of the reproductive process, show that the humans of this world are amazingly fertile and can mate with anything that has a pulse and produce offspring, regardless of genetic or biological compatibility. When you can successfully mate with a mythical fire-breathing creature borne of magic and legend, then you could probably get down with a plant and have a tree-child nine months later.
    Last edited by skim172; 2011-05-25 at 11:31 PM.

10. - Top - End - #1420
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I'm going to just quote this rather than get into a drag-out debate.
    Or a cyclical reiteration of V's ambiguous gender

11. - Top - End - #1421
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    There are a lot of these, sure:

Power Rangers
    Scooby-Doo
    Kids Next Door
    Airbender
    Planeteers
    Er, A:tlA would only qualify very briefly, after Zuko joined with the heroes but before Suki did. Season 1 and the start of season 2 the main heroes were two male one female, after Toph joined it was 2-2, and it wasn't until the second half of season 3 that Zuko would join and the group thus hit 3-2, which would only last a few episodes until Sokka and Zuko rescued Suki, bringing the group to 3-3 for the finale.

In any event, the whole thing doesn't fit with the Order anyway, since they're a group of six, not five.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

12. - Top - End - #1422

Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    In English, if a noun has both a male and female variations, then the male version is acceptable when referring to either gender, while the female version is not. Blame it on the patriarchy.

Just out of curiosity, I know that there have been efforts to translate OOTS into other languages. How is V handled in languages that require gender-specific nouns? I'm thinking that even if V talks about him/herself, it would betray his/her gender. For example, in French, whether he calls himself a "magicien" or she calls herself "magicienne."

Of course, I think we're all assuming something here and that's the idea that elven biology even remotely resembles that of the human body. Perhaps elves don't have gender. Perhaps they reproduce through mitosis, like bacteria. Or, maybe, they are all borne from a Hive Queen, and the young are adopted by elders to be raised into adulthood, like termites. Or, when a elf reaches the limits of their age, they bud off into a swarm of polyps that attach themselves to an organic host and slowly morph their host's physiology until it resembles what we think of as an elven form.

Now you could argue that the fact that there are half-elf, half-human hybrids demonstrates that the biology must be compatible. But I'd also point out that half-dragons, half-lizards, half-orcs, and all sorts of half-whatevers exist as well, which, besides suggesting at that the creators of DND have some fundamental misunderstandings of the reproductive process, show that the humans of this world are amazingly fertile and can mate with anything that has a pulse and produce offspring, regardless of genetic or biological compatibility. When you can successfully mate with a mythical fire-breathing creature borne of magic and legend, then you could probably get down with a plant and have a tree-child nine months later.
    We have seen several Elves with an easily defined Gender and Sex. Also we have seen an Elven women preparing to have sex with a human male and a half-elf or two. That implied they are similar to humans biologically. No, the only elves which are gender unspecific is V's family. Really I feel like we can cross anything thats not "male" or "female" off this list. Not to disrespect anyone between genders. Anything else is just unlikely.

Also while I agree with you about the word "master", as well as the reason words that are masculine are all-including. I am puzzled as to why the men of the previous male dominated societies did many things, and one is why masculine word didn't only allow use for men and then include and more neutral word for everyone.

13. - Top - End - #1423

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmarenny View Post
    I am puzzled as to why the men of the previous male dominated societies did many things, and one is why masculine word didn't only allow use for men and then include and more neutral word for everyone.
    Linguistic gender can have a messy history and in many languages, there are a lot of words that are female ( have you read Mark Twain's "The Awful German Language"? It has a great example of confused gendering...).

English has a much simpler gender structure than most European languages. It may be that the male gender is the dominant form for generic nouns because (maybe) men basically ran things. If you were counting all the people in a county for purposes of taxation or raising an army, they may well have counted only the men.

14. - Top - End - #1424

EvilClericGuy

Because the assumption was that only a man could be a "master", or something to that effect.

And yeah, D&D breeding bizarreness aside, OotS elves are pretty clearly equivalent to humans in their sexual dimorphism; they have males and females and all the same bits as their human counterparts (pointy ears notwithstanding). At the absolute minimum we have Lirian as a pretty obvious example of an unambiguously gendered elf.

15. - Top - End - #1425
    Dwarf in the Playground

I have literally never heard someone refer to the owner of an animal as a "mistress". The female owner of a dog is the dog's master.

16. - Top - End - #1426

BlueKnightGuy

Also while I agree with you about the word "master", as well as the reason words that are masculine are all-including. I am puzzled as to why the men of the previous male dominated societies did many things, and one is why masculine word didn't only allow use for men and then include and more neutral word for everyone.
    Hey, never underestimate the ego of the English (I am English, so I'm allowed to say this). Mistress is a word used only in regards to the house, as that's all they considered women capable of doing back when the language was formed. The word Master means superior and is gender-ambiguous because, and this is important, there was no way for a women to obtain any position where the title would be valid - thus, they never saw a reason to have a differing word

17. - Top - End - #1427

Quote Originally Posted by BranRainey View Post
    I have literally never heard someone refer to the owner of an animal as a "mistress". The female owner of a dog is the dog's master.
    K-9 called the Doctor's female companion (whoever he had for the moment) and Sarah Jane Smith "Mistress". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K-9_%28Doctor_Who%29

That's the only example I can come up with.
    Viking/Paladin by Astrella

Gender Bender by Geomancer.

In love with Skeppio.

Contact me:
    Spoiler
    Show

Twitter: @MarcusSweden1

My tumblr

My DeviantART

18. - Top - End - #1428

EvilClericGuy

I've never heard someone refer to a dog's owner as a "master" in conversation, either. Usually they just get called the dog's owner.

19. - Top - End - #1429

In the cell-shadding cartoon "Storm Hawks", the main villain is called "Master Cyclonis", an eighteen girl (although quite competent). So I see "master" as neutral gender.
    ""Jeez, this dress! i look like a dominatrix""
    (self-loathing): ""Actually , you look like a sorceress or something""
    ""Hey, no need to get cruel""

20. - Top - End - #1430

Well, I think that V is genderless, mainly because the draw of a woman should look like this:
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #1431

Quote Originally Posted by NegativeFifteen View Post
    I think there's a good chance Kyrie knows, otherwise s/he gets new levels of respect for marrying someone who's gender s/he didn't know. Haley probably knows too, they room together and seem to have gotten to know each other pretty well.
    But even if Kyrie didn't know before they were married, surely that changed after the fact. After Kyrie and Blackwing, Haley is the most likely other person to know (of characters that we've seen, anyway) to know the truth.

On that topic, then: I may have said this before (years ago) but the most probable scenario is that V was originally intended to be male, then changed to "androgynous" once Rich saw that many people thought otherwise and it became a source of debate.
    HUMANS....... ARE....... SUPERIORRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But she was naked! And all... articulate!!

22. - Top - End - #1432
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: V's Gender Debate IV [Official]

We'll never know, but I'm going with female. V is just a frumpy elf with no sense of fashion or femininity, due to being distracted by arcane matters.

I don't think using "master" says anything one way or the other, because "mistress" has a distinct connotation that generally keeps it from being on par with "master," even in fantasy.

23. - Top - End - #1433
    Halfling in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Blisstake View Post
    Master can be gender neutral, while mistress cannot.

Sort of like actor/actress.
    Master is gender-neutral when used to mean a person with exceptional skill (e.g. a master of the piano), a person who has complete control of a situation, a graduate holding a master's degree, a person presiding over a function, organization, or institution, or the superior person or side in a contest.

In the sense used here, i.e. the head of a household, the employer of servants, or the owner of slaves or animals (e.g. familiars), master is masculine (vs. mistress).

Sorry Rich, but I think we've got you this time.

24. - Top - End - #1434
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm not sure Rich has even ever decided a gender for V. That means he would not be able to reveal the secret accidentally if he didn't even know. I think it's mostly a perception thing.

25. - Top - End - #1435
    Ettin in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    It turned out my first guess (I changed my perception a few times during the date) had been correct.
    You sound like you'd be a fun date.

26. - Top - End - #1436

HalfOrcPirate

Master can be gender neutral, while mistress cannot.

Sort of like actor/actress.
    That's not entirely correct. Master is gender neutral when used in the sense of being an expert ("master of my trade"). When used to mean owner, as of slaves, animals, or familiars, master is masculine. If you have a female owner, you have to use mistress. Look it up.

There will be no clues. V's gender will never be officially revealed or hinted at in any way.
    I'm not suggesting Rich gave a clue. I'm saying that he made a mistake and inadvertently revealed V's gender.

27. - Top - End - #1437

Default WHY do you think V is a guy or girl? [Official]

Since Rich just destroyed the only evidence of V's gender either way, I got curious about the thought process of everyone.

Doesn't matter whether you think V is a guy or a girl, but if you do think of him as one or the other, why? What made you pick a side for him?

No need to debate which gender he is or whether someone's reasons for seeing him as a guy or girl are wrong. It's totally just me wondering when someone picked a sex for him, why they chose male or female.

For me, I think he's a guy because most adventurers I read about are guys, his longing for power, the first instance I saw of a character referring to him was "V-man," and frankly, I'm not at all sexually interested in V.

28. - Top - End - #1438
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: WHY do you think V is a guy or girl?

Male because -us is the male conjugation, -a is the female.
    Official Incense Aroma Specialist for the Vaarsuvius Fan Club!

English isn't my primary language, so please let me know if something I'm saying doesn't make sense!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Thank you, FujinAkari.
    Continuation of ThePhantasm's awesometacular post

29. - Top - End - #1439

I think V's gender exists in a Schrodinger's Cat-esque state of quantum uncertainty, making him both a man and a woman at once, and this state of affairs will only change when Rich reveals her gender. This will never happen, because unless his gender is somehow 'evil space cow' it's going to be a big disappointment no matter which gender she ends up being.

30. - Top - End - #1440
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainIreland View Post
    Since Rich just destroyed the only evidence of V's gender either way...
    How did he manage to do that?
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.