New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default What is "violence"?

I read a quote recently:

Quote Originally Posted by Mahatma Gandhi
    The Roots of Violence: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Knowledge without character, Commerce without morality, Science without humanity, Worship without sacrifice, Politics without principles.
    As I trace through my experiences, I can see how one might categorize various instances of moral failings beneath these headings. Rape. Adultery. These two fit easily under "pleasure without conscience", since they represent taking pleasure without consideration of how one's actions will affect the other party. I just watched "The Big Short", a film about the 2008 financial crisis. It's emotionally-charged and completely biased, but given the practices that led up to the aforementioned crisis, there's no question that they fall beneath "commerce without morality". Over the years of interacting with others on the internet, I've met many very knowledgeable individuals, but some of those individuals haven't always employed that knowledge to, in my opinion, worthwhile ends. Unfortunately, I can class myself in that last group.

A lot of the listed indicators seem to involve deceit and dishonesty, either with oneself or with other people. That, or just being plain inconsiderate. Arrogance is probably involved on a fundamental level, too. Personally, I'd add something about crying wolf to the list, but that's not really useful to the problem at hand.

Now, that's all good and helpful for untangling this puzzle, but it doesn't seem to provide an obvious answer the question. The term "violence" in the quote doesn't seem to refer physical conflict, although it could refer to social conflict, which sometimes manifests as physical conflict. Or might the term refer to something a little more elemental to human nature? Any ideas?
    Last edited by Grinner; 2016-06-24 at 09:55 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: What is "violence"?

The aphorism talks about the roots of violence. The things described are not necessarily violence themselves; they are phenomena that give rise to violence. It's not clear to me that Gandhi meant to describe anything particularly unorthodox with the term 'violence' in this quote.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

This should help.
    Behavior involving physical force intended to hurt, damage, or kill someone or something.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

It's a tool. It exists, it will always exist, and it has many different uses. No need to overthink this.
    Last edited by Crow; 2016-06-24 at 10:55 PM.

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Violence is the use of physical force against another person. That's pretty much it.
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AMFV View Post
    Violence is the use of physical force against another person. That's pretty much it.
    Though since the 1600's it's also been used in the sense "improper treatment", which comprises a much wider scope of meanings.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

When I read the quote, I see it as implying not only can these roots lead you to be physically violent ( your rape analogy) but also others to violence - Commerce without morality may lead to someone gettiing violent because he was cheated or Politics without principles leading to civil war. Practice doen't alway make you violent, but will lead to you being caught up in violence.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Grinner View Post
    Now, that's all good and helpful for untangling this puzzle, but it doesn't seem to provide an obvious answer the question. The term "violence" in the quote doesn't seem to refer physical conflict, although it could refer to social conflict, which sometimes manifests as physical conflict. Or might the term refer to something a little more elemental to human nature? Any ideas?
    Are you really confused about what violence is?

I think that is pretty obvious, which is why most people only talk about what leads to violence and how to prevent it.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Though since the 1600's it's also been used in the sense "improper treatment", which comprises a much wider scope of meanings.
    Eldariel seems to understand what I'm getting at.

It's possible that Gandhi was speaking of simple physical conflict when he said that. I have no idea what he said that in reference to. However, it seems to me that, regardless of the original context, the statement could be generalized to encompass more than mapping unscrupulous behaviors to the occurrence of physical conflict. It's almost like...Well, it's hard to explain. If any of you are familiar with the term "dukkha", it's like I could build a model of dukkha and thus understand an important part of the human experience.

Physical violence is merely one avenue of attacking someone else. There exist other ways to harm them. For instance, public humiliation and harassment seems popular these days. So are lawsuits. So if we think of violence as being an umbrella term for various ways of harming other people (be it physically, emotionally, financially, etc.), my question is "What lies at the heart of violence?".

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight View Post
    When I read the quote, I see it as implying not only can these roots lead you to be physically violent ( your rape analogy) but also others to violence - Commerce without morality may lead to someone gettiing violent because he was cheated or Politics without principles leading to civil war. Practice doen't alway make you violent, but will lead to you being caught up in violence.
    That's an interesting perspective.

I heard a year or two back that an epidemiologist had compared the spread of a contagion to occurrences of violence (in the simple, physical sense) and found that both tend to spread in similar patterns.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

I'll just leave this youtube link on the philosophical aspects of the topic here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyitF-6tBu4
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I read a quote recently:
    As others said that quote is looking at a list (complete or incomplete) of the Roots (origin or source of something) of Violence.

It does not specify what kinds of violence it is talking about. We could look at the list for answers but the list is structured as <Beneficial thing> without <Moral thing> which can easily extend beyond just physical violence or be just looking at the causes of physical violence. So the next step is to quote the Paragraph the quoted sentence comes from.

Physical violence is merely one avenue of attacking someone else. There exist other ways to harm them. For instance, public humiliation and harassment seems popular these days. So are lawsuits. So if we think of violence as being an umbrella term for various ways of harming other people (be it physically, emotionally, financially, etc.), my question is "What lies at the heart of violence?".
    Define "lies at the heart".
    Are you asking "What are the causes of Violence", "What are the universal traits of Violence (aka if you remove everything that differs between kinds of violence, what remains?)", something else ... ?

Quote Originally Posted by Themrys View Post
    Are you really confused about what violence is?

I think that is pretty obvious, which is why most people only talk about what leads to violence and how to prevent it.
    People also talk about borders. What is like violence but just shy of being violence? If Bob coerces John with a "Do X or die", is it still violence if the "or die" was through inaction on Bob's part? What if the "or die" was through indirect action on Bob's part (stealing John's necessities for example)? Etc.
    Last edited by OldTrees1; 2016-06-25 at 09:37 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Eldariel seems to understand what I'm getting at.

It's possible that Gandhi was speaking of simple physical conflict when he said that. I have no idea what he said that in reference to. However, it seems to me that, regardless of the original context, the statement could be generalized to encompass more than mapping unscrupulous behaviors to the occurrence of physical conflict. It's almost like...Well, it's hard to explain. If any of you are familiar with the term "dukkha", it's like I could build a model of dukkha and thus understand an important part of the human experience.

You don't really need an umbrella term for the various ways of harming other people, that is to say a term other than: "harming other people". I also think that you shouldn't try to expand the scope of 'violence' to include other things than "physical violence" (btw: physical violence using the currently definition of violence is a tautology)

Other than that, you are right: Violence is merely one avenue of attacking some else. There are other ways to harm people which are therefor not 'violence'. Attacking someone with a lawsuit isn't violence, because if it was then a "wrongful suit" would turn into a "violent crime" which I think you'll instinctively see as a wrong classification. Violence has a meaning and based on that meaning we get other words which stop making sense if you change the meaning of 'violence'. So just to re-iterate: Don't think of violence as an umbrella term for harming other people, think of violence as violence and think of 'harming other people' as 'harming other people'

If we now re-phrase your question we get "What lies at the heart of [harming other people]?" which is more obviously an incomplete question. Are you asking about what makes someone want to (try and) harm someone else [insert third question here]?
    Remember: Offence is taken, not given

Play-by-Post Characters:

Sir Balduin of Buckwood (OOC | IC)
    High Priest Azrael (OOC | IC)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

There is no English words that has a single meaning that covers all contexts. Trying to find one and apply is blindly must fail. [The Oxford English Dictionary gives over thirty definitions and sub-definitions for "the".]

This quote is not literal. It is not attempting to provide a dictionary definition; it's trying to make a social point. To that end, it's expanding the idea of violence beyond its roots in physical confrontation.

The legal definition of "violence", from Black's Law Dictionary, is "unjust or unwarranted exercise of force, usually with the accompaniment of vehemence, outrage, or fury."

But it also provides this quote from Esco Operating Corporation v. Kaplan: "Violence in labor disputes is not limited to physical contact or injury, but may also include picketing conducted with misleading signs, false statements, publicity, and veiled threats by words and acts."

So once again, we see that the fundamental meaning of violence is purely physical, but that it can sometimes be expanded beyond that foundation.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

Id say Gandhi is pretty spot on

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

The Universal Declaration of Human Rights:
    Article 3.
    Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of person.

Violence is violating your Inalienable Rights to Life and Security of Person.
    How do you keep a fool busy? Turn upside down for answer.
    ˙ɹǝʍsuɐ ɹoɟ uʍop ǝpısdn uɹnʇ ¿ʎsnq ןooɟ ɐ dǝǝʞ noʎ op ʍoɥ

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

That's certainly something interesting to chew on.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Not liberty, eh?

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    Not liberty, eh?
    Hadn't thought of that. You could be right.
    How do you keep a fool busy? Turn upside down for answer.
    ˙ɹǝʍsuɐ ɹoɟ uʍop ǝpısdn uɹnʇ ¿ʎsnq ןooɟ ɐ dǝǝʞ noʎ op ʍoɥ

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Use of any nonconsensual force against another.