New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Eternal Winter IC 2

@Raikou: Stay up most of the night and watch the snow fall inside the grove as the others rest after a hard day.

No rest for you, though...

The following morning, you rub your eyes and yawn as you walk alongside the group and question if anybody can make you all invisible.

It's the mighty shepherd that raises his hand slowly.

"I do. Blessed by some powers during my rebirth, invisibility is a power I am now able to harness...

But not master it as much as a mage. It should cover most of us...if not all."

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

Johann wakes up glad to finally having time to study, which is holy task for a boccobite.

He get out of the Rope Trick and take a deep breath of cold air before sitting in his mage's throne prepare his spells for the day. Most were chosen for the battle to come and some even due a few requests from Dietrich.

"Master Johann, do you mind to speak privately with me. About the battle plan tomorrow", the samurai said to him last night and it was impressive his ideas, even though the lack of magical understanding.

Once he finishes preparing his spells, Johann calls on the others, interrupting Dietrich's daily exercises.
    "Let's get ready, my friends. This battle will be a difficult one. But we'll prevail. Let's feast for the day is long and who knows if we will have another meal should we fail", Johann produces the forgotten horn of plenty and summon a kingly feast for all to eat.

It takes an hour but this battle was won as the roasted boar remain very much devoured and not a single chalice of honey or wine remain to tell his tale.

Spoiler: Heroes' Feast
    Show
    You bring forth a great feast, including a magnificent table, chairs, service, and food and drink. The feast takes 1 hour to consume, and the beneficial effects do not set in until this hour is over. Every creature partaking of the feast is cured of all diseases, sickness, and nausea; becomes immune to poison for 12 hours; and gains 1d8 temporary hit points +1 point per two caster levels (maximum +10) after imbibing the nectar-like beverage that is part of the feast. The ambrosial food that is consumed grants each creature that partakes a +1 morale bonus on attack rolls and Will saves and immunity to fear effects for 12 hours.

Temporary HP: (1d8+6)[7]

Duration: 12 hours.
    Caster Level: 12th.

Once done with the feast, Johann begin tattoing himself: the holy symbol of Boccob over his right palm.

Spoiler: Create Magic Tattoo
    Show
    Granting myself +1 caster level bonus

He keep on casting a few spells on himself, including one Boccob sent his way today.

Spoiler: Johann's Buffs
    Show
    Overland Flight
    Superior Resistance (Enigma share this)
    Familiar Pocket
    Mage Armor (from the War Wizard's Cloak)
    Lesser Spell Turning

He then grabs the chainning rod and have everyone get a few protections from him and a few enhancements to everyone's weapons.

Spoiler: Chain Spells
    Show
    Chain Disobedience
    Chain Greater Magic Weapon (on all weapons of everyone in the party, including Dietrich's Javellins and other katanas and wakizashis) for a +3 enhancement bonus.

Johann then clear the table and have Dietrich lay face down on it, as the tattoo mage get some of his needles and begin to make a tramp stamp tattoo of a butterfly above his buttock, which cause terrible disconfort for the samurai.

"I know I asked for your many wards and protections, but couldnt it something... manlier? And not there?", which is answered with a wave of his hand.

Spoiler: Create Magic Tattoo
    Show
    From scroll.
    Granting +1 luck bonus on attack rolls for Dietrich

He then call out Zephyr as well and touch both, granting them the ability to fight like the warriors of legend.

Spoiler: Heroics
    Show
    Granting Zephyr a fighter bonus feat of his choice and granting Dietrich Oversized Two Weapon Fighting

For Zephyr only, he grants a veil of invisibility and a pair of black eyes, turning him into the perfect scout.

Spoiler: Zephyr's Buff
    Show
    Ebon Eyes and Invisibility

"Ok. Almost done", he imbue a stone in shadows and another in silence.
    He give Zephyr the dark one and give Dietrich the silent one.

Spoiler: Darkness and Suspended Silence
    Show
    On two diferent rocks

"Now you'll be able to play with both katanas with no trouble".

He call all together for the next spell, as he surrounds everyone in a aura of vibrant music.
    Spoiler: Mass Resist Sonic
    Show
    For Sonic Resistance 30

"Once you're ready. Let's move".

Spoiler: Teleport Plan
    Show
    He'll have Enigma deliver Teleport (it's a touch spell) and then proceed and Teleport too with the rest (will need two travels to go).

I'll wait for all to decide where to teleport.
    Last edited by Chimaera; 2016-07-20 at 07:13 PM.
    Ruven Feathers, tengu opportunist with a keen eye for gold and an accute scent for death.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Firbolg in the Playground

Raikou eagerly digs into the massive feast with the others while Cyrus just floats nearby, unable to eat...

As the wizard is about to teleport them all, the halfling motions to him to stop for a second and gestures towards Father Shepard.

Tattoo guy, no need to teleport for now. Mister Shepard offered to take us back to Kinderheim.

Or if he don't go, we might as well walk there ourselves. Might be better to save some magic. And if we're preparing, I have some stuff to cast on myself now. And more for later once we actually get there.

Spoiler: Raikou's long duration buffs
    Show
    All shared with Cyrus

mage armor
    heart of water
    heart of earth

He'll cast dragonskin and a few other buffs when they get close and before actually going inside
    Last edited by Niwrad; 2016-07-20 at 06:38 PM.
    "Now you'll see some real magic!"

Raikou Stormborn Thunder Incarnate and his elemental familiar Cyrus

4. - Top - End - #244

He also casts one more long term protective spell from one of his runestaves to make him and Cyrus a little more durable.

Spoiler: Share spell false life
    Show
    forgot this in the last post (1d10+10)[13] temp hit points

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

@Johann: The kingly meal is enjoyed by all, except the Shepherd who, like Mug Ruith, does not require these foods, nor the extra benefits imparted by them, but still watches the entrance to his grove while you and the others devour your breakfast, knowing that it may very well be the last one.

Unlike with Decarabia, this time you are facing a lot more enemies, each a power in his own might.

And then there is the Jester of Sorrows himself... who knows what he can do?

Once the meal is over, you take to your throne and take out your tattoo kit, calling the samurai as you inspect your needles and inks.

The Keoland Ambassador isn't exactly thrilled when you ask him to bend over on the table and Enigma perks on his back pointing out how best to make the butterfly tattoo and with a final pinch, you finish enchanting the mark, granting the samurai unparalleled battle prowess as he is quick to buckle up.

Then you inscribe the Eye of Boccob on your palm, feeling tremendous arcane power coursing through your mind as you rise above the rest and imbue your body with so many arcane protections, not even The Herald herself would dare lay a hand on you.

And because magic will not be enough to bring down the Black Moon Circus, you call for everybody's blades and use the rod to chain a powerful transmutation on all of them, making the weapon faster and deadlier than ever before.

Given how these fools like to use tricks and magic, you hand Zephyr and Dietrich a fist sized stone:

One marked with a black circle and the other with a blank face showing a stitched mouth.

Zephyr gets an even better treatment as he disappears from view, not before getting his eyes as dark as night itself.

And because Raikou, despite his awesome destructive power, was o easily fooled by Claune, you make sure everyone is immune to such tricks, which the Black Moon Circus will most certainly employ.

Speaking of Raikou...

Who knows if you'll be fighting in small spaces or big open ones, but the halfling likes to blow stuff up with sound.

Can't allow friendly fire to take place here.

And so, everyone gets doused with a low hum as their bodies become protected against painful arcane resonances.

The Shepherd nods and looks down at all of you as Dietrich wields his katanas, each capable of cutting down an army of Shepherds on his own and stamps his foot on the ground.

"It seems you are all ready. Let me know where we are going. I will use as much of my own skills to get us there.""

@Raikou: You are not one to be left behind in the arcane department and imbue yourself and Cyrus with enough spells to blow up half of these woods.

The Shepherd opens his mighty wooden hand and points towards the woods.

"I can get you to Kinderheim, but it won't be a fast trip- I will use the trees to travel. It won't be as fast as with your spells or those Johann uses, but the result shall be the same nonetheless.""

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

Revitalized and thankful, Dante sleeps and is ready to grant Wee Jas blessing to himself and his friends.

Johann casted his powerful buffs, now Dante will cast his.

"All right, gather around"

First, you feel your resolution gaining a significant boost. Some of you are familiar with the feeling. You feel an almost overwhelming aura of power and safety as soon as Dante finish his prayers.

Spoiler: On Party
    Show

Mass Conviction
    Righteous Wrath of the Faithful

He also casts a summon monster spell, but the spell lies dormant.

Spoiler: Not Milvago
    Show
    Bone Devil time!

Replicating Johann, he casts Ebon Eyes on himself, Raikou and Dietrich.

A few more seconds of Dante casting spells on himself and he is almost ready to go.

He also uses his wands to get both the shape of a lizard (alterself) and Power Attack (Heroics)

"Johann, before we leave can you lend me some of those ointment for the eyes?"

Spoiler: One last spell
    Show
    Assuming he received the ointment from the mage, he'll cast True Seeing on himself just before teleporting

Spoiler: Buffs on him
    Show
    Ebon Eyes
    Sign
    Divine Insight
    Magic Circle Against Evil (also affecting who is nearby)
    Persisted RWoF (also on party)
    Superior Resistance
    Conviction (also on party)
    Alter Self (Lizardfolk)
    Heroics (Power Attack)
    True Seeing (If he received the ointment from Johann)

Spoiler: Buffs on Equipment
    Show
    G Magic Weapon in Ruby Guillotine
    Magic Vestment on Shield and Armor
    Last edited by Dudu; 2016-07-20 at 08:56 PM.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Nicollo Corleone - The Scoundrel Malconvoker

Dante Levasseur - The Crimsom Inquisitor (avatar) and his Lumi cohort, Eveline Dawn now being followed by an old acquaintance, Aurora, the voice of Barachiel.

Minaerva - The Wild Caller from Rokiri Island.

Requiem Macabre Doc

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

@Dante: You are not going to be outsmarted by Johann when it comes to casting.

Those clowns have your Nightstick, and by Wee Jas and the entire Cabal Macabre, you will get it back! How dare they!

Your body transforms into that of a lizardfolk as multiple celestial and infernal sigils warp around your body, even granting you the chance to see through illusions as you finish running your hand on the Ruby Guillotine.

The amount of sheer arcane and divine power that pulsates in the Shepherd's Grove is monumental. Clearly no power on Oerth or elsewhere has been able to display this degree of influence over the multiverse.

You may even rival Wee Jas herself at this point...and win.

@The Party: The Shepherd looks at the distant star that is Arrallae and then extends its massive wooden hand for all of you to climb on top as he shuts his eyes and all of you disappear... except for Zephyr who was already invisible.

You can all see the Shepherd, but not each other as the massive treant begins to rumble through the forest.

"I cannot walk into Kinderheim and you are much smaller than I. Stay close to each other and you shall remain unseen. If you need me, let me know. Otherwise, I shall head to Jottunheim.""

Spoiler: The Shepherd's SLA
    Show
    Mass Invisibility

The winds are brutal as the mighty Shepherd causes the entire forest to rumble as his massive feet leave enormous star shaped prints on the snow...

Identical to the ones Eveline stumbled upon after leaving Cranachmere the day prior.

It was him, headed to Glacielheim... that means that Kinderheim isn't too far off from Windemere's castle.

"As a sapling, I had to watch how my home was once again ravaged by the forces of the Unseelie. In my old age, I fell to complacency and so, a malignant Shade took advantage of my torpor, but no more!

I have been granted a chance to fight again and in my grove I will not rest until Windemere is banished back to her Unseelie Realm and these lands are safe for my children and theirs.

Who would have thought that mortals would be involved in the war this time.""

The Shepherd stops as a copse of trees sway back and forth by the freezing winds and the mighty oak titan takes a charging stance as his entire body illuminates with a green light.

"I am going to take you with me across the trees...hold on. This is not a spell I have used in a very long time... and not with passengers.""

It's a jostling sensation as the Shepherd covers all of you between his wooden hands and you bounce around and bump into each other as an earthquake shakes the entire forest and the Shepherd begins to run at great speeds, each step sending shock waves across the entire forest and most likely the world as your bodies are tossed around and you feel the Heroes feast coming back up before the scent of wood and bark captures your senses and you can see through the openings left by the Shepherd's fingers that you aren't in the woods anymore...

Not specifically outside, at least.

It's a massive cavern with green luminous fungi that speeds past you as the Shepherd never stops and your bodies once more rumble as the white light of the frozen forest again seeps through, followed by more charging and more jostling.

This guy is using the Tree Stride spell, or as the scholars in Runestone call it- the Druid's Poorman's Teleport.

Normally a spell that can only carry a single druid, it is limited to wilderness areas and to that degree, the spell functions that way, but it should not be able to carry that many people.

Then again, given who is casting it, it should come as no surprise- he was the very first tree to grow here who knows how many ages ago.

After almost a minute of being thrown around his massive wooden hands, the Shepherd comes to a rumbling stop and opens his hands with much care and places you on the snow as the creepy snowmen line a broken road and the Shepherd's foot squashes one of them.

"I hope you are still alive... it was the fastest way for me to bring you here without you getting lost.

Beyond the road and the trees is Kinderheim. If I move past those borders, I will be spotted by Till and his jesters... however.""

The Shepherd looks at a pair of trees and shuts his eyes as these begin to shake and uproot themselves:

These aren't as big as the Shepherd.

Bigger than all of you? yes. At thirty feet tall, but the Shepherd is thrice that size. Still, these two seem rather strong as the Shepherd points at your general location.

"These two can be your diversion. They are my children and will be my eyes through your battle. Given the option, i would not endanger them, but letting Till remain alive is worse yet.

I will go to Jottunheim and finish off what I set myself to do. These two have set root here since birth, so they aren't much talkers, but they will answer mental commands to their best ability.

I have asked them to follow your orders, but please: try not to get them turned to firewood or splinters.''

And having said that, the mighty Shepherd steps on another snowman and charges away from you and dives into another copse of trees, vanishing completely from sight.

The two animated trees scratch their heads and look at each other and then around and shrug.

They haven't left their resting spot ever, so walking and being sentient is a new thing for them.

8. - Top - End - #248

Whoah...

Raikou definitely feels quite a bit of turbulence from this strange method of travel and begins to wish he hadn't quite eaten so much of the heroes feast earlier.

He smacks into the ground with a loud thud and groans, clutching his stomach. He also turns to glance at Cyrus, who seems to be less effected.

Spoiler: in Auran
    Show
    You seem.... in great distress

No kidding. You should be glad you don't need to eat.

It takes him a few seconds to recover, after which he cranes his neck to speak to the mighty treant.

Thank you for all your help Mister Shepard in bringing us here and getting some of your friends to come help. Maybe if we can beat this Tilly Willy guy we'll meet you in Jotun-Hell. Bye Mister Shepard!

When the big tree leaves, the halfling looks around and tries to figure out where his invisible allies are.
    Wanting to make this a little easier, he takes out a scroll and tries to find Johanm.

Hey Tattoos, you can speak telepathically to all of us, so here's a scroll that'll help you see us all so you can make sure we're all going in the right direction. Otherwise, it might be a bit difficult to work together when none of us can see each other.

I certainly don't want any of you getting caught in my lightning magic. That'd be pretty unpleasant...

Spoiler: Scroll
    Show
    see invisiblity cl 3

enough to at least get us inside Kinderheim hopefully

Then the halfling looks at their new tree allies and smiles.

Welcome to the world of the rootless. You'll get used to it eventually. It's always nice to see more friends on our side come out of the woodwork. I wonder if you have names? Probably not. So let me name you then.

Your name shall be Sir Birch.

He says, tapping one tree. And he moves to the second tree.

And you shall be Sir Oak.

Fire hurts you guys pretty bad doesn't it? Believe me, I've been there. I wooden want you guys to burn up so let me help you out a little.

He approaches both of the treants again in turn and places a simple abjuration on both to help ward off fire. He also casts a few more spells on himself and Cyrus.

Spoiler: Resist energy (fire)
    Show
    resist fire 30 for both trees

Spoiler: Some more buffs on himself and Cyrus
    Show
    Share spell dragonskin (blue) and share spell shield

Alter self on Cyrus into a medium air elemental

I think we should get closer and look around the place. Try to see if maybe there's another way to get in besides the main entrance. But they'll see these guys pretty easily... do we have more ways of making them invisible?

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I believe a wand of invisibility was picked up as loot from the previous hall?
    Last edited by Niwrad; 2016-07-21 at 12:18 AM.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Titan in the Playground

@Raikou: The Shepherd looks in your general direction before leaving you with his children.

"Little Raikou, thank Emmantiessen you still live. It is I who must thank all of you: like I mentioned earlier, this should not be your war, but ours. Be safe and do not fall for the Jester's tricks.

He will use every dirty trick up his sleeve, true to his nature. Do not be swayed easily by him. Trust your powers and courage and above all, use your instincts to prevail against him.

Good luck... I will see you soon in Glacielheim.""

And with the mighty tree spirit gone, you cast a spell to make Cyrus bigger and walk up to the two trees, who look around and shake their boughs from the ever falling snow as you place your tiny hand on them and sheathe them in orange amber as the trees look at each other and lift their rooted feet off the ground, not quite understanding what has just happened, but not hostile, either.

Sir Birch and Sir Oak, brave Tree Knights of the Fey Woods.

Catchy names... and with your spells on them, fame is all they will catch.

But how to get these two hulking wooden brutes into Kinderheim? Sure, you can fly on top of Cyrus, but not even he would be able to lift these guys across the bridge and towards the Hall of Lost Children.

Well, at least you have numbers on your side.

Everyone is geared to the teeth and with these two, you could probably crumble Kinderheim to rubble- their fists certainly seem to be aching to punch somebody.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

"Ready?", Johann ask mentally to everyone, "Let's the assault begins".

He grabs the chain rod and cast a spell on all allies, making them blur and displace, just like the famed monster.

He then cover his eyes with ointment and offer some to Dante as well.

Spoiler: Spells
    Show
    True Seeing and Chain Displacement

"Kick down that door", he tell the trees once Raikou and Dante cast whatever spells they have left and fly 10ft above them.
    Last edited by Chimaera; 2016-07-21 at 02:21 PM.
    Ruven Feathers, tengu opportunist with a keen eye for gold and an accute scent for death.

11. - Top - End - #251

So the straight-forward approach then? I like it.

But wait, let me do one more thing and give your weapons a bit of shock and awe.

Raikou hops on Cyrus and with Johanm's help, floats over to each of the warriors in turn, and channels a little bit of his storm magic into their swords and bows.

For Zephyr's bow and Dante's Ruby Guillotine, he gives a little bit of electricity.

Spoiler: For Zephyr and Dante
    Show
    Energy substituted burning sword

each attack does extra 1d6 electricity and 2 sonic damage. critical hits do an extra 1d10 electricity damage

and anyone hit by the weapon has to make a fort save DC 21 vs stun

But for Dietritch's blade, as he casts, his ring glows a little.

Spoiler: For Dietritch
    Show
    on one of his blades, casting Empowered Energy substituted burning sword, and activating ring of mystic lightning for extra damage

each attack does extra (3d6)*1.5 electricity damage and 2 sonic damage

and anyone hit by the weapon has to make a fort save DC 21 vs stun

Once finished, the halfling also casts one more defensive spell.

Spoiler: Share spell shield
    Show
    on himself and Cyrus

Then he's ready to go.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

Dante casts True Seeing, Divine Power and Recitation.

Ruby Guillotine in hand.

Spoiler: Recitation
    Show
    Conjuration (Creation)
    Level: Cleric 4, Purification (SpC) 3,
    Components: V, S, DF,
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: 60 ft.
    Target: All allies within a 60-ft.-radius burst centered on you
    Duration: 1 round/level
    Saving Throw: None
    Spell Resistance: Yes

By reciting a sacred passage or declaration, you invoke your deity's blessing upon yourself and your allies.
    The spell affects all allies within the spell's area at the moment you cast it. Your allies gain a +2 luck bonus to AC, on attack rolls, and on saving throws, or a +3 luck bonus if they worship the same deity as you.
    Divine Focus: In addition to your holy symbol, this spell requires a sacred text as a divine focus.

"Yes, mage, I'm ready. Let's bring this place down! We did it before and we didn't have a stormbringer halfling with us."

"That was one boost of confidence you got there, friend. Don't try dying too soon this time!"

It's actually the first time you could see Eveline winking. She probably feels as much confident as Dante. Which is odd, since the enemies they are about to face look terribly strong, even counting the preparations they made to face them.
    Show

Dante Levasseur - The Crimsom Inquisitor (avatar) and his Lumi cohort, Eveline Dawn now being followed by an old acquaintance, Aurora, the voice of Barachiel.

Requiem Macabre Doc

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

@The Party: Even more spells are cast as the pair of trees left by The Shepherd begin to displace and then, everybody else under the guise of invisibility, follow the two lumbering trunks towards Kinderheim.

The bridge cracks under the weight of both trees as Sir Oak and Birch lead the way and all of you either fly or walk behind them, keeping in close formation so as to not dismiss the Shepherd's powerful blessing.

And at Johann's command, both trees begin pummeling and kicking the front door, the way adventurers always go.

The iron jester face on the door makes a silence expression of pain as his eyes become knotted with bruises and the trees keep punching and kicking, sending shockwaves all over Kinderheim and to the bridge itself.

It's nearly a minute of assault before the great bridge behind you collapses and chunks fall to the ravine below and the door unhinges itself as Sir Oak kicks it one last time, causing the iron door to weep a metal tear as it drops on the ground with a loud clang.

The bridge behind you is no more. Kinderheim is isolated, which is a good thing, but that means that without flight or other spells, you aren't getting out of this place.

Then again, the Black Moon circus may not have a way to leave either, so it's a win win.

The frost blows into the main foyer as the trees have to duck to get inside Kinderheim and you look around the shadowy hall.

The Chandeliers are there.

The tables are set.

The curtains are pulled back above and in the main stage...

But there is nobody here to greet you.

Spoiler: The Checks
    Show
    Roll a Spot & Listen

Map

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

Johann look around as he enters Kinderheim, eyes and ears ready for an enemy.

Spoiler: Spot and Listen
    Show
    Spot (1d20+5)[15]
    Listen (1d20+15)[33]

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

@Johann: Brimming with spells to the point of bursting, you look around the immaculate and ornate columns and long tables set for children.

Up the hanging chandeliers and the balconies above those.

Nothing to see... but there is a very light scraping sound coming from the wall right behind you, up in the shadows.

16. - Top - End - #256

Not particularly observant or keen of hearing, Raikou follows a little ways behind the tree, waiting for someone to come investigate the destroyed door.

MAP (Raikou and Cyrus share the same space)

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

"In the wall behind us. I can hear someone there", Johann let everyone know telepathically.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

Can't hear a thing, are you sure? Anyway, they are expecting us, that's much is certain.

Dante looks to where Johann pointed.
    Show

Requiem Macabre Doc

19. - Top - End - #259

Raikou hears the voices of the others in his head and replies.

I'm sure they were expecting us. And if anything, I doubt anybody here wouldn't have heard those trees smashing down the door.

They'll probably show their faces soon enough.
    Last edited by Niwrad; 2016-07-21 at 05:34 PM.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

@Raikou: Ever confident in your abilities, you ride Cyrus and move deeper into Kinderheim, staying close to one of the trees and listen to Johann's alert about something on the walls..

But you cannot see anyone. Not in this place.

Not even the tiniest sound...

@The Party: It's a ghastly roar, ancient and unnatural that fills the foyer, aiming to shut most of your senses down as a gigantic beast leaps from the shadows above and lands on the tiny tables, crushing them under its weight.

Spoiler: Roar
    Show
    Fortitude DC 32 or take 27 non lethal damage. Those who fail the saves are also deafened for 16 hours.

Deafened: A deafened character cannot hear. She takes a –4 penalty on initiative checks, automatically fails Listen checks, and has a 20% chance of spell failure when casting spells with verbal components.

Characters who remain deafened for a long time grow accustomed to these drawbacks and can overcome some of them.

This guy wasn't here last time:

It's as big as the trees, but its body is lithe, dark and clawed, with an eerie alien mask on his face.

His voice is whispery and snakelike.

"All that punching and kicking... hehehhehehee. Enough to wake the dead! For a moment there, I thought that big wooden loser of the Shepherd would be coming here to help you. For a moment, I hesitated...

Instead, he brings only a pair of animated trees...and a handful of mortals. The same that came yesterday to Kinderheim. A bunch of spells you have on, hm? I can see all of you.

For such a long time, banned from these woods. Banned from Bonnlachmere! Maili sure played me last time, thanks to that golden freak Arrallae, but now, she is almost dead.

And she can't keep me from coming back. The Jester of Sorrows was kind enough to grant me a room here in the Hall of Lost Children. Bleak Ones do not interest me. Dull and boring... I prefer to twist the fey children into a more interesting form, but there are no fey children left here... not in this hall.

I may have to go get myself Gigglemug again after this. But first, let me pay my proper respects to the ruler of this Hall by tearing you to pieces.""

What sort of monster is this?

Spoiler: The Rolls
    Show

Know. Dungeoneering & Initiative- Dietrich and Johann go on the same roll, since Chimaera will be puppetting him

Map

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

Round 1

@The Party: You prepared so well... but this guy was not amongst the jesters called in by Till!

This is a new beast entirely! Zephyr did mention seeing someone climbing the outer walls of Kinderheim the day prior and The Shepherd spoke of a horror brought forth by Till during the First War in the woods...

A creature that was not a fey. A being that even fey were afraid of.

And now he has been brought back for this war. Apparently Arrallae had a hand in sealing him away, but given the amount of power she is using to keep all of you from freezing, the barrier holding him up must've broken.

Most of you cannot even hear yourselves speak.

Thankfully, you can still relay messages thanks to Johann's powers, but this guy mentioned he could see you.

A problem indeed.

And it sure becomes clear as The Child Stealers leaps on Sir Oak and drives his claws into its hardened wooden body, ripping the tree apart as the beasts, belly opens sideways to reveal a mouth filled with salivating sharp teeth that tear at the tree's core and gulps it down as he tosses the remains of the valiant son of aside and moves in closer to Sir Birch.

@Dante: He brought the tree down with a few claw slashes! How in the hells are you going to be able to bring this beast down?

The Child Stealer laughs as his belly maw shuts again.

"This is the power of Der Meiner Freudenkind! I am the shadow that stalks prey in the lonely woods. Out of the corner of your eye.

I am the one who takes children away from their warm beds and into the cold bowels of Bonnlachmere.

I am what fey fear!""

Map

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    The Child Stealer
    Zephyr
    Raikou & Cyrus
    Dante & Eveline
    Dietrich & Johann
    Sir Birch

22. - Top - End - #262

Raikou holds back tears and looks on aghast as this horrific creature rips apart the mighty Sir Oak in seconds.
    The tree had just learned to walk and now he had been turned into splinters.

He also notices that the room around him has gone strangely quiet...

Regardless, this guy seemed pretty tough, so it was time to supercharge himself.
    He opens his mouth and prepares to cast a powerful spell to wreath his body in thunder.

Spoiler: Energy Sub. Acid Sheath
    Show
    Because I'm deaf (1d100)[55] (high is good)

Anyone striking him or Cyrus takes 30 electricity and 5 sonic damage and must roll fortitude DC 23 vs stun

Raikou also get extra bonus damage on electricity spells

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

Seeing his frient being torn to wooden splinters, Sir Birch step ahead and strike at the mosntrous enemy.

Spoiler: Sir Birch's Wooden Fury
    Show
    Slam (1d20+14)[32] dmg (2d6+9)[15]
    Slam (1d20+14)[28] dmg (2d6+9)[19]

And just like that Johann strike the floor with his runestaff's butt and Sir Birch, Dietrich, Zephyr and Dante dissapears and reappear.

Spoiler: Dimension Step
    Show
    Moving Dietrich and Sir Birch as indicated in the map in the end of the post.

Zephyr and Dante may move up to their speed as well, but I'll leave them choose where they're going (if at all).

Johann take to the sky, flying 20ft up and still invisible.

Dietrich watch as he's moved in flanking position of a Sir Birch, as this one stomp down the table and chairs ahead.
    Gripping both katanas, Dietrich look at this new enemy and bring both flame and thunder at him, his samurai mask emotionless looking at this hideous creature.

Spoiler: Samurai FA
    Show
    Flanking the Child Stealer.
    Coldiron Katana:
    1st (1d20+29)[44] dmg (1d10+11)[17] plus (3d6)[13] eletricity (empowered for 19) plus 2 sonic.
    RWF (1d20+29)[35] dmg (1d10+11)[14] plus (3d6)[12] eletricity (empowered for 18) plus 2 sonic.
    2nd (1d20+24)[30] dmg (1d10+11)[16] plus (3d6)[14] eletricity (empowered for 21) plus 2 sonic.
    3rd (1d20+19)[37] dmg (1d10+11)[17] plus (3d6)[9] eletricity (empowered for 13) plus 2 sonic. (Critical threat)

Flaming Katana:
    1st (1d20+29)[31] dmg (1d10+11)[14] plus (1d6)[4] fire
    2nd (1d20+24)[34] dmg (1d10+11)[17] plus (1d6)[4] fire

Crits on 17-20, which will be rolled in OOC in case there is a threat.

If he takes sonci damage, it must make a Fort save DC 21 or be stunned for one round.
    The edit will have the full damage from the empowered 3d6.

MAP
    Last edited by Chimaera; 2016-07-21 at 08:33 PM.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

@Raikou: You watch Sir Oak be clawed asunder as the new enemy laughs and devours the sap inside his body and gulps loudly.

That guy had barely been alive for less than ten minutes!

If he was able to bring down a tree like that, who knows what he could do to all of you if he gets up close.

And if that were the case, you will make sure he pays dearly for it.

Calling on the powers of the Storm, you bathe your entire body in crackling energy as the Child Stealer's hideous black form tilts its helmeted face sideways and grips his claw, still dripping with tree sap.

"A halfling... hehehhehehehee. A mildly less annoying and unsavory cousin to the pixie.

This I will enjoy.""

@Johann: You cannot stop at the entrance to Kinderheim because of this beast.

Warning or not, you will bring this monster down. Let Till and his clowns hide in fear.

Know that you are coming after them by the sounds of pain from his ancient pet!

It's a flash of white arcane light that transposes the remaining tree and moves Dietrich up close to the beast and both begin their assault.

The Child stealer laughs as both of Sir Birch's fists connect, but they cannot even crack his mask.

There is no damage whatsoever!

Dietrich does hurt the monster, which breaks his invisibility... but only because of Raikou's spell, which never does stun him, but shocks him fiercely as the beast thrashes around and his claws extend several feet more.

The flaming katana has no effect on him whatsoever. The flames dance around his body, never truly harming him.

"Cold iron! Hahahahahhahaaa!!! Very useful...

If I were a fey. I come from a reality you cannot possibly comprehend! Last time, it took Arrallae, a drow, and a few mortals to barely drive me out.

What makes you think you have a chance?""

@Dietrich: Were it not for Raikou's spell... you wouldn't even stand a chance against this foe!

Maybe all is lost here... this is not an enemy you have a chance to defeat!

The Child Stealer's malignant aura extends in a twenty foot radius, attempting to grip you in his claws of despair.

Spoiler: Fear Aura
    Show
    Any living creature within 20ft, Will save vs. DC 28 or become frightened. Each round, an affected target gets to roll a new save, same DC.

If Heroes Feast is on, ignore it.

Map

Show
    The Child Stealer
    Zephyr
    Raikou & Cyrus
    Dante & Eveline
    Dietrich & Johann
    Sir Birch

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

Another being appears right next to Dante as soon as the fight starts.

"Cryothanos, it's been a long time."

Spoiler: In Infernal
    Show
    "LONG INDEED, INQUISITOR. ARE YOU THAT DESPERATE TO REQUEST MY AID?"

"Look at that beast right there. Lock him down."

The devil's voice is loud and threatening, the air around him is chilling, and he looks like this.

Spoiler: Cryothanos, the Bone Devil
    Show

Size/Type: Large Outsider (Devil, Extraplanar, Evil, Lawful)
    Hit Dice: 115 (10HD)
    Initiative: +9
    Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
    Armor Class: 25 (–1 size, +5 Dex, +11 natural), touch 14, flat-footed 20
    Base Attack/Grapple: +10/+19
    Attack: Bite +16 melee (1d8+7)
    Full Attack: Bite +16 melee (1d8+7) and 2 claws +14 melee (1d4+4) and sting +14 melee (3d4+4 plus poison)
    Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
    Special Attacks: Spell-like abilities, fear aura, poison, summon devil
    Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/good, darkvision 60 ft., immunity to fire and poison, resistance to acid 10 and cold 10, see in darkness, spell resistance 21, telepathy 100 ft.
    Saves: Fort +14, Ref +12, Will +11
    Abilities: Str 25, Dex 21, Con 25, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 14
    Skills: Bluff +15, Concentration +20, Diplomacy +6, Disguise +2 (+4 acting), Hide +14, Intimidate +17, Knowledge (any one) +15, Listen +17, Move Silently +18, Search +15, Sense Motive +15, Spot +17, Survival +2 (+4 following tracks)
    Feats: Alertness, Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Multiattack

A bone devil’s natural weapons, as well as any weapons it wields, are treated as evil-aligned and lawful-aligned for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
    Fear Aura (Su): Bone devils can radiate a 5-foot-radius fear aura as a free action. Affected creatures must succeed on a DC 17 Will save or be affected as though by a fear spell (caster level 7th). A creature that successfully saves cannot be affected again by the same bone devil’s aura for 24 hours. Other devils are immune to the aura. The save DC is Charisma-based.
    Poison (Ex): Injury, Fortitude DC 22, initial damage 1d6 Str, secondary damage 2d6 Str. The save DC is Constitution-based.
    Spell-Like Abilities: At will—greater teleport (self plus 50 pounds of objects only), dimensional anchor (+14 rta), fly, invisibility (self only), major image (DC 15), wall of ice. Caster level 12th. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Cryothanos is a specialist in holding other creatures, so a ray shaped as a emerald chain goes towards the Childstealer direction.

Meanwhile Johann's spell teleports Dante right behind the samurai. He five steps closer and deliver a barrage of attacks.

"It seems our blades don't hurt him too much, Dietrich. But the spell the halfling put on it does, so let's try that."

Willing to test just how much protected is the Childstealer, he puts some more strenght behind each blow.

"This is not what we were expecting. But if it's behind the children disappearances, we should be glad we got the opportunity to avenge them."

Eveline also teleports a bit forward and use a persisted spell affecting the samurai, Dante and herself.

MAP

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    The Bone Devil tries a Dimensional Anchor at the Childstealer
    Ranged Touch Attack (1d20+14)[29]

Dante 5steps next to the Childstealer and FA it with Power Attack 4
    1st PA4 (1d20+23)[26] dmg (2d8+21)[26] +(1d6)[3] electric
    2nd PA4 (1d20+18)[23] dmg (2d8+21)[30] +(1d6)[5] electric
    3rd PA4 (1d20+13)[14] dmg (2d8+21)[32] +(1d6)[1] electric
    RW PA4 (1d20+23)[28] dmg (2d8+21)[24] +(1d6)[2] electric

Eveline casts Persisted Mass Lesser Vigor on her, Dante and Dietrich.
    Last edited by Dudu; 2016-07-21 at 10:38 PM.
    Show

Requiem Macabre Doc

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr is overwhelmed by the cacophony of sound as the new enemy announces itself. How would they ever defeat this monstrosity and still take on the Black Circus?

He climbs high up in the air, outside the abomination's reach, and begins a barrage of arrows.

Show
    Move as indicated, making a Manyshot attack. The attacks use the same roll (except for the Raptor Arrow, which gets its bane bonus). Precision damage is applied only once, if any arrow hits.

Attacks 1-3: (1d20+22)[23] (+12 BAB, +7 Dex, +3 footbow, +2 GWF, +1 PBS, +1 morale (Feast), +2 luck (Recitation), -6 Manyshot)
    Attack 1 gets an additional +2 from the Raptor Arrow.
    Damage 1: (1d8+12)[17] + (1d6)[4] (Burning Sword) + (2d6+2)[12] (Raptor Arrow)
    Damage 2: (1d8+12)[13] + (1d6)[2] (Burning Sword)
    Damage 3: (1d8+12)[17] + (1d6)[3] (Burning Sword)
    Precision damage: (2d8)[3] + (5d6+2)[14]

2 damage from each arrow is sonic.

Map
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    ... See, that's classy. Super classy. You're not just taking Body of the Sun and turning it into a source of walking destruction; you're taking Body of the Sun and an unwitting pawn and combining them into a source of walking destruction and comedy. That's evil genius, right there.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

@Dante: The Black Moon Circus foiled your attempt the day prior... and with good reason.

The smell of sulphur and infernal red sigils form on the ground as a large scorpion tail whips the frozen air of Kinderheim and out of the ground comes Cryothanos, lieutenant of the 37th Regime in the Shelves of Despond, Brutal Enforcer of the Damned...

And now your loyal soldier against this monstrosity.

The Osyluth looks at the Child Stealer and smiles as his scorpion tail pulsates with arcane venom and a spray of it wraps around the Beast from Beyond, making sure it can never leave through magical means.

You got him trapped here. Locked down good.

And taking advantage of Johann's spell, you hitch an arcane ride and face the monstrosity fey are said to fear and punish it with your Ruby Guillotine...

You are hotting it, but it isn't even bleeding!

So far, you have been able to slice trolls down withe ease... why isn't this one dropping?

@Zephyr: Remain calm and shoot...

You have faced terrifying opponents here.

You can do this. You need to take down the Black Moon Circus and this beast will be another unsavory memory.

The Child Stealer laughs as every single arrow misses its mark.

"This is the best mortals got?""

Round 2

@Dietrich: The Child Stealer looks at the few wounds on his body and raises both claws.

"Time to see what lies behind that mask!""

Kinderheim is sprayed in your blood as the first claw strikes with merciless brutality!

Spoiler: 1st Claw
    Show
    24 damage

"That is what I like about mortals- they bleed so easily.""

Spoiler: 2nd Claw
    Show

22 damage plus 3 skewer

With both claws latched on to your body, the Child's stealer's maw opens as it reveals its teeth as the claws rip through metal and flesh, causing Dante to be bathed in your blood.

This pain is too much! Your body is giving in...

"Let's see what's inside, shall we?""

Spoiler: Stunning Rend
    Show
    43 damage plus 3 skewer plus Fortitude DC 34 or become stunned for 4 rounds

The mouth attempts to bite you, but by a miracle, you are able to dodge it.

@Eveline: being so close to this creature is a terrible idea.

Something about its presence... unnatural. Powerful.

Even worse than the Osyluth Dante called!

In fact, even Cryothanos is unnerved by his presence!

Spoiler: Unnatural Bully
    Show
    All enemies within 30 feet of you that have one-half your Hit Dice or less are bullied; they take a -2 morale penalty on attack rolls made against you.

A bullied enemy that succeeds in hitting and damaging you is no longer subject to the penalty and cannot be bullied by you for 24 hours.

Creatures immune to fear effects cannot be bullied and do not take the penalty on attacks rolls to hit you.

@The Party: The Childstealer looks down at a barely alive Dietrich and laughs as his maw salivates over the floors of Kinderheim.

"Ask yourselves this: Who is trapped with who here?"

Map

Show
    The Child Stealer
    Zephyr
    Raikou & Cyrus
    Dante, Eveline & Cryothanos
    Dietrich & Johann
    Sir Birch

28. - Top - End - #268

As the battle begins, Raikou realizes more and more than the world around him has become silent.

But he hasn't quite realized that he is the one who is deaf yet.

HEY TATTOOS! I CANT HEAR ANY OF YOU...

DID YOU CAST A SILENCE SPELL AROUND HERE OR SOMETHING?

Then he speaks to Cyrus, but doesn't quite whisper as he usually does. The familiar responds in a somewhat annoyed tone.

Spoiler: In Auran
    Show
    LETS MOVE UP A BIT. I WANT TO HIT HIM WITH SOME LIGHTNING.

LETS SHOW HIM WHY HALFLINGS ARE TO BE FEARED!!

Please use your indoor voice master...

Regardless, Cyrus climbs up 30 feet to help the Mage get a bit better angle on his spell. And Raikou begins to channel electricity, and with a sudden gesture, unleashed a bright blue blast of energy in the direction of the Child Stealer.
    The bolt blasts through the horrid creature and then into the floor behind it with a massive sonic boom.

Spoiler: EMPOWERED LIGHTNING BOLT!!
    Show
    Full round action to cast

Angling it into the floor so it doesn't it anyone besides the Childstealer.

Because Raikou is deaf (1d100)[23]

Does (10d6+10)[55] *1.5 = 82 electricity and 3 sonic damage, reflex DC 22 for half

If he takes damage, fortitude DC 22 or be stunned.
    Last edited by Niwrad; 2016-07-22 at 12:01 AM.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

@Raikou: You yell as loud as you can, but only a sharp din in your ears is all you get in response as Cyrus lifts you up in the air, thirty feet above the battle and somewhat close to Zephyr, who catches his Raptor Arrow.

That beast is brutal- who knows how long the others may be able to withstand that onslaught?

Time to bring in the thunder!

Cyrus goes as black as a storm cloud and your tiny body begins to shake as your hairs stand on end with crackling energy and you point your index at the perfect angle as a bolt of lightning, easily the size of the Child Stealer himself, directs itself like a god's spear from the heavens.

The beast looks up at the lightning and does a gigantic leap in the air, it's lithe body performing a somersault as it lands in place and the tables behind him crackle with sparks...

That bastard evaded the blast completely!

"Hahahahahhahaa.... ah yes. Last time I fought in this realm, some foolish elven mage tried a similar trick.

It didn't work then, either.""

Map

Show
    The Child Stealer
    Zephyr
    Raikou & Cyrus
    Dante, Eveline & Cryothanos
    Dietrich & Johann
    Sir Birch

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

Zephyr curses in Tuilvilanuue as the unfamiliar talent Johann has bestowed upon him causes his trio of arrows to all fly wide. Can't afford to let Dietrich and Dante get cut down... time to try the other way. His belt, refreshed after a night's rest, catapults him into motion.

Show
    Belt of battle, move, rapid shot, you know the drill by now.

Attack 1: (1d20+28)[39]
    Damage 1: (1d8+12)[13] + (1d6)[6] (electric) + (2d6+2)[13] (Raptor Arrow) + (2d8)[11] + (5d6+2)[16] (skirmish/precision)

Attack RS: (1d20+26)[33]
    Damage RS: (1d8+12)[16] + (1d6)[6] (electric) + (2d8)[7] + (5d6+2)[9] (skirmish/precision)

Attack 2: (1d20+21)[29]
    Damage 2: (1d8+12)[18] + (1d6)[3] (electric) + (2d8)[6] + (5d6+2)[18] (skirmish/precision)

Attack 3: (1d20+16)[35]
    Damage 3: (1d8+12)[19] + (1d6)[4] (electric) + (2d8)[9] + (5d6+2)[15] (skirmish/precision)

As always, damage rolls are +4 if the opponent has arcane spells or SLAs available.

Map
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    ... See, that's classy. Super classy. You're not just taking Body of the Sun and turning it into a source of walking destruction; you're taking Body of the Sun and an unwitting pawn and combining them into a source of walking destruction and comedy. That's evil genius, right there.