New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 59 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: RWBY VIII: Well, THAT escalated quickly

Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Protagonest View Post
    Spoiler: Happened last season
    Show
    That's a minor quibble? It's completely and utterly stupid, there is no reason for it. This isn't even the ignorance of basic security protocol on the level of a few people that those medics handling Mercury had (even if it adds up to a lot if no medics ever follow those basic protocols), this is a critically important global system. It's almost like it was designed to be destroyed by a plucky team of rogue hackers.

Hey, maybe the conspiracy plot they seem to be setting up will work out after all. But... how did they still get everyone in the kingdoms to go "seems legit" when they explained how the system works.
    Spoiler: CCTV Stuff
    Show
    Because that was the only way they could figure out to make it work? I'unno. If that's your only option you can't really afford to go 'well this seems extremely vulnerable (which they do), lets hold off on establishing a cross continental communication system that could save thousands of lives until we come up with something else'.

...Especially considering its so important that who would WANT to destroy it? Destroying that tower hurts everyone, hacking it? Yeah, sure, thats an issue but destroying it outright? Only a mad person would.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

2. - Top - End - #362
    Barbarian in the Playground

Except that it defeats the entire purpose of the internet. The original purpose of the internet's creation was so that communications could still happen in the event of a catastrophe. Say, you want to sent a message from St.Louis to Detroit. However, if Chicago get nuked, it will reroute through Indianapolis.

In a world considerably more lethal, with monster rampages and massive terrorist organizations, you'd think it'd be something the designers would consider.
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon D20: A system designed for adventuring in a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon world.

The Review/Analysis Thread: In-depth reviews of various games and RPG products.

The New/Redone Monsters Thread: Taking bad or bland monsters and making them more interesting and challenging.

Yu-Gi-Oh!: Realms of Myth: In the world of monsters, Winda and Wynn go on an "epic" journey to find the legendary Dark Magician.

Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Madoka and Kingdom Hearts.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Protagonest View Post
    Spoiler: Happened last season
    Show
    That's a minor quibble? It's completely and utterly stupid, there is no reason for it. This isn't even the ignorance of basic security protocol on the level of a few people that those medics handling Mercury had (even if it adds up to a lot if no medics ever follow those basic protocols), this is a critically important global system. It's almost like it was designed to be destroyed by a plucky team of rogue hackers.

Hey, maybe the conspiracy plot they seem to be setting up will work out after all. But... how did they still get everyone in the kingdoms to go "seems legit" when they explained how the system works.
    It's stupid, but it's also magic ritual reasoning. If you break any part of the circle, or take away one of the candles, or fall out of unison at any point during the incantation, the whole thing is kaput. So we accept this stupid broken reasoning all the time, given the right framing.

What's missing is that right now we have no reason to buy that they had to design it this way, whether "because magic" or something more elaborate, because it's represented to us in the language of technology. We also don't know why it's necessary from a story perspective, because nothing so far has required that Atlas, Mistral, and Vacuo be unable to communicate with each other, and we have no reason to believe only Vale's tower can be attacked. Unless both of those things are necessary, the story could easily proceed with a less fragile network design. So the reward for this particular suspension of disbelief is lacking.
    Last edited by Lethologica; 2016-10-24 at 08:06 PM.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonexx View Post
    Except that it defeats the entire purpose of the internet. The original purpose of the internet's creation was so that communications could still happen in the event of a catastrophe. Say, you want to sent a message from St.Louis to Detroit. However, if Chicago get nuked, it will reroute through Indianapolis.

In a world considerably more lethal, with monster rampages and massive terrorist organizations, you'd think it'd be something the designers would consider.
    Kay...who's to say they haven't? Just because there is a desire to build it otherwise doesn't mean there is a capability too.

Leth: Well, we have a difficulty or lack of means for Atlas to prove its innocence in regards to its knights attacking innocent civilians during the Battle of Beacon...cause that's the last image out of Vale that people have gotten. All I've got there.
    Last edited by Callos_DeTerran; 2016-10-24 at 09:52 PM.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

5. - Top - End - #365
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    Kay...who's to say they haven't? Just because there is a desire to build it otherwise doesn't mean there is a capability too.
    I'm not willing to suspend my disbelief for this kind of technology. The only reason I do is because I forget that the CCT was even a thing in the first place.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

6. - Top - End - #366
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post

Leth: Well, we have a difficulty or lack of means for Atlas to prove its innocence in regards to its knights attacking innocent civilians during the Battle of Beacon...cause that's the last image out of Vale that people have gotten. All I've got there.
    Slightly less than that.

The design assumption necessary for your conclusion is that <Vale's CCT falling> = <Vale is unable to communicate with other continents>. This design is more readily explained--for example, maybe CCTs communicate in a unique way that other local towers can't replicate to cross the continental divides, so all incoming transcontinental communication needs to pass through the CCT hub. But just because Vale's CCT goes down doesn't mean Atlas can't talk to Vacuo through their perfectly functional CCTs. What they can't do is talk to Vale to verify Atlas' innocence.

With respect to your hypothesis, the potential marginal gain of strengthening the design assumption to <Vale's CCT falling> = <No one can communicate with other continents> is that Atlas can't even attempt to defend themselves against the charge of attacking innocent civilians. This seems like a particularly minor point.

On the other hand, reassessing my initial comments, determining who can talk to who is actually quite likely to have significant story implications. So for now, my assumption is that prohibiting cross-continental communication allows the writers to keep plotlines and character arcs neatly separated--nothing Weiss learns in Atlas can help Ruby circumvent an important conflict in Mistral, and the writers have an excuse not to provide any information on Vacuo to our characters until the Desperate Messenger arrives with conveniently-timed Dire News from the desert continent, and so on. Whether having narrative points of any real weight hinge on this bit of setting design will ameliorate or exacerbate the issue is somewhat up in the air.

Spoiler: v4e1
    Show
    All this discussion is basically the reason I was surprised to see Dr. Moustache fiddling with his scroll.
    Last edited by Lethologica; 2016-10-25 at 02:01 PM.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Colossus in the Playground

....SO!

Can access the RT site. That's all well and GOOD. Video is NOT AVAILABLE for ME. I figure maybe I need to sign in on their site, but I don't HAVE a sign in on their site. So I go to make a free account.

"You do not meet the minimum requirements to use this site."

Yo go **** yourself Rooster Teeth.

8. - Top - End - #368

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    ....SO!

Can access the RT site. That's all well and GOOD. Video is NOT AVAILABLE for ME. I figure maybe I need to sign in on their site, but I don't HAVE a sign in on their site. So I go to make a free account.

"You do not meet the minimum requirements to use this site."

Yo go **** yourself Rooster Teeth.
    You could use Kissanime, they have it for some reason

9. - Top - End - #369
    Ogre in the Playground

10. 'Malignance' was pulled out of someone's thesaurus. Maybe it's meant to sound archaic (though 'malignance' wasn't all that much more popular historically). But Salem sounds like she's having an Internet argument more than anything else.
    Sigh.

Why does everyone seem to assume that everyone else shares the exact same vocabulary that they have? Malignance may be considerably less common, but malignancy isn't exactly a widely used word outside of medical use (that is, talking about tumors). Getting upset about the use of malignance is kind of like an American getting upset about the use of fortnight without realizing that the word is actually still used by people. (Side note if you're British: to Americans, fortnight is completely archaic to the point where a literal majority of the population wouldn't even know what it meant and the vast majority of those who did would associate it with either medieval times or fantasy novels.)

My point is: I have never in my life heard "malignancy" used outside of talking about tumors and such while I have encountered malignance every once in a while in fantasy stories (malignance covers the "not talking about a tumor" definitions of malignancy, by the way). Of course, the adjective malignant is orders of magnitude more frequently used than either of the noun forms.

Helpful link (definition #2 is probably the most common for malignance)

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm well aware of the word's definitions, and passing familiar with its usage rate, and that is in fact why I said what I did. You seem to be angry about my remark, but I'm not entirely clear on what disagreement you're presenting.
    Last edited by Lethologica; 2016-10-25 at 07:42 PM.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler: v4e1 Responding to Lethologica
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post

All this discussion is basically the reason I was surprised to see Dr. Moustache fiddling with his scroll.
    I would assume that Salem's evil league of evil has a local network.

And because I haven't had a chance to wax overly analytical regards RWBY in a while it's time for
    Spoiler: Ronnoc's catgirl killing speculation
    Show
    While I'm aware that from a Doylist point of view the reason for CCTV is to allow the writers an easier way to isolate their characters they've done a pretty good job of preventing non-magical tower communications in their world. In the real world communication is difficult beyond the curviture of the earth and requires one of the following methods:

-Using a satellite to relay your signal: this one is a no go as per Word of Remnant as they have yet to succesfully launch a satellite.
    -Hard lines ala fiber optic cables or the old transcontinental telegraph lines: This one gets shut down by grim attacks.
    Finally there's long or mediumwave radio this works by using either the ionosphere or the ground/air interface as a waveguide to bend your signal around the planet and has been used irl for transcontinental communication. The problem is that in order to exploit the optical properties that allow for the bending you need a wavelength to long for fm transmission and AM signals are very vulnerable to noise. At which point dust tech being prone to RF noise (much like real world flourescent lights or routers) is all you need to shut it down as a viable option.
    I don't know everything merely everything of importance-Fidelias
    Avatar by the illustrious Lord Raziere

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm well aware of the word's definitions, and passing familiar with its usage rate, and that is in fact why I said what I did. You seem to be angry about my remark, but I'm not entirely clear on what disagreement you're presenting.
    (Edit: I had to type this twice due to a computer glitch. Grr.)

So I puzzled over this reply to my response for quite a while before I finally figured it out. I was very confused as to how you couldn't see the disagreement, since I (thought that) I did nothing but disagree. When it finally dawned on me, it actually left me more irritated than I was to start with, so I'm not completely sure it was a good thing that I did figure it out.

As it turns out, I misunderstood what you meant (implicit statement) without misunderstanding what you said (explicit statement). Therefore, my response to the comment that raised my hackles was... slightly misdirected, and was misdirected in such a way that you did the exact same thing I did: understood the explicit while completely missing the (far more important) implicit argument I was making.

I am about to lay out the misunderstanding, as well as make the implicit more explicit, so here we go. Warning: this includes the impression that your post left, which you can feel free to deny is not what you intended (though I'll be honest, without a really good explanation of what you did intend that isn't basically the same thing as my perception I will have a hard time believing it).

1. WHAT UPSET ME

When I read your initial post (well, the post that started this), you came across as being arrogant, snobbish, anti-vocabulary, and disdainful of people using words that aren't part of your commonly-used lexicon. Your initial post still comes across like that, though the genuine confusion in your reply to my response does undermine the idea that it's a willful choice on your part rather than a passive thing - especially since you've been polite when actually addressing people. The reason that I'm more irritated than I was to start with is that this apparent attitude actually now appears to be broader in scope than I originally thought.

2. WHAT I THOUGHT YOU MEANT (AND HOW THAT SHAPED MY REPLY)

The first thing I did was look up malignance. I knew what it meant (at least definition 2 as previously mentioned), but I was somewhat baffled by your reference to thesaurus and archaism. It's not as though the word actually has a direct synonym, after all - the closest is malevolence, but that's not actually a perfect synonym. That's when I discovered the current relationship with malignance and malignancy: the former is enough rarer than the latter that Firefox red-underlines it, google suggests maybe I'm looking for the latter, and the dictionary I linked doesn't have a separate entry for it but instead lists it as an alternate form (for the first two definitions) of the latter. "Aha," I said to myself, "he's referring to the fact that malignance was used instead of malignancy, which he thinks would be the more normal word choice. That's why he referred to a thesaurus and the idea that they were trying to sound archaic!" This (now clear to me to be a mis-) understanding of what you meant was what shaped my response.

3. WHAT I MEANT (WHICH YOU APPARENTLY MISSED BECAUSE YOU THOUGHT I WAS AGREEING WITH YOU)

In that light, hopefully my intent becomes a little clearer. Since I thought your issue was with malignance vs. malignancy, that's the tack I took. I said (paraphrasing myself here) that not everyone has the same vocabulary as you, and judging people's word choice negatively because others have a different vocabulary is irritating, insulting, and makes you look ignorant. I referenced my own experience with the words: I encountered malignance and malignancy in different contexts and with different meanings, so lambasting someone for using the former instead of the latter (what I thought you were doing) is dumb and ignorant. Sure, I said, they aren't the most common words to encounter, but that's completely and utterly irrelevant: they are both still used, and not just to "sound archaic" but because they have specific meanings and people have different vocabularies.

4. AND FINALLY...

So now that I realize your original comment was about malignance/malignancy at all rather than malignance vs malignancy, it casts your comment in even worse light. It broadens the narrative from "I'm disdainful of people using a less common form of a word because I think it sounds like they're just using a thesaurus or trying too hard" (already offensive, arrogant, and snobbish) to "I'm disdainful of people using uncommon words because I think it sounds like they're just using a thesaurus or trying too hard" (which additionally makes you sound like one of those "I'm proud to be ignorant and have a tiny vocabulary" folks I have to put up with where I live).

So... feel free to enlighten me on how/why your comment wasn't intended to convey that narrative. I'll try to keep an open mind. But so help me, if you tell me "Why yes, I DO think people using "lexicon" instead of "vocabulary" sound like they're a)using a thesaurus, b)trying to sound smart, or c)acting like they're an elitist literature snob" I will put you on ignore for proving that I'm right about that narrative.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Firbolg in the Playground

So, correct me if I'm wrong here, but you're accusing Lethologica of being an anti-intellectual because he thinks that the line that was likely meant to sound intellectual/archaic (and yes, I realize this is giving the RWBY writers credit for something*gasp!*) was written in such a way that it came across as pretentious to him?
    Main character-ish avatar by Oneris.
    Onyx 5: Volsung. May he live forever.

I have a quote!
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    You are a sick and twisted man.
    I like you.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorFaust View Post
    So, correct me if I'm wrong here, but you're accusing Lethologica of being an anti-intellectual because he thinks that the line that was likely meant to sound intellectual/archaic (and yes, I realize this is giving the RWBY writers credit for something*gasp!*) was written in such a way that it came across as pretentious to him?
    It's twofold: First, the automatic assumption that it was meant to sound "intellectual/archaic" when there's no real reason to assume that (as I said, just because a word is uncommon doesn't mean using it is automatically an attempt at something like that - people have different vocabularies, and it could just be that was the term the writers thought fit best with the situation and character) and making such assumptions (and speaking about it as though one doesn't think that such a purpose is really a worthwhile one) is a negative behavior. Second, complaining things sound pretentious to you just because the word is uncommon does, in fact, make a person come across as being anti-intellectual, yes.

Admittedly, I'm a little predisposed to see that kind of negativity in that light due to being a fairly intelligent and well-educated individual with a reasonably-sized vocabulary in the Virginia Appalachian area where a fairly large segment of the people I interact with ARE anti-intellectual and it's reflected in the attitudes they have toward vocabulary. True example: I was describing how condensation on my windshield and windows factored into me getting into a minor wreck and had the people I was talking to mock me for "using big words" saying "why don't you just say water?"

15. - Top - End - #375

I've got a question for you then. Can you imagine Ruby saying "malignance" in a conversation unprompted? What about Oobleck?
    Last edited by DoctorFaust; 2016-10-26 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Sorry about the post icon. I put this up on mobile, and I must've hit the wrong button by mistake.

I have a quote!
    I like you.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorFaust View Post
    I've got a question for you then. Can you imagine Ruby saying "malignance" in a conversation unprompted? What about Oobleck?
    Oobleck: Yes because he is basically the Remnant version of Mordin Solus. Talks fast, is scruffy, but is seriously smart, investigative and well-educated. Given his speech in those ruins, it wouldn't surprise me if he had medical training just in case one of his team mates got injured.

Ruby: little harder to say. Ruby seems to be a bit of a ditz, but what people seem is not always what they actually are. She is a big nerd about weapons- which is honestly an unfocused part of her character. If you wanted to flesh her out, just have her gush about every weapon she sees in a series full of crazy weapons, have her modify her own scythe and explain how her modifications make it better as a weapon in a tactical manner, if you want to be comedic, have her outright act as if she is in love with her scythe and proclaim "Me and Scythe are in a stable relationship! I'd never cheat on Scythe-kun!" despite constantly looking at other weapons and seeing their beauty. Even have her worry that Scythe-kun might get jealous if she tries to wield any other weapon.

I'd imagine knowing a lot about weaponry would give her some form of better vocabulary, or at least some technical jargon about how they work. which while not allowing her to say "malignance" in conversation unprompted would allow her to say many other things of weapon-based jargon instead. if she is a big enough nerd though, she could've heard it anywhere and could use it. She's socially awkward, has heard fairy tales about being a hero all her life, really interested in a narrow field of stuff, and is really good at being a huntress despite her young age. Wouldn't surprise me if she heard "Malignance" from a random old fairy tale as a villain name and in response to the villain's name would say:
    Ruby: Malignance? Oh hey, thats the name of the villain of this fantasy novel I once read! You read it to? :D
    Malignance: Uh.....no! Its supposed to be dark and threatening!
    Ruby: But this cosplay is really bad, you don't even look like them! I can give you pointers if you want.
    Malignance: Shut up I'm not cosplaying!
    Ruby: Dude, I know your in character but c'mon, work with me here.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ettin in the Playground

I understood exactly what you meant, Diamond. But I'm not objecting to 'malignance' because it's uncommon or big or intellectual. Look at my username, for Pete's sake. Read my posts. The anti-intellectual ignorance of the narrow-minded is far from the only reason one might criticize a particular word choice, and I find your trigger-happy accusations frankly insulting.

Show
    I think 'malignance' is inexact in a way that suggests poor thesaurus use--like the writers, in describing Watts' behavior, started with 'hostile', and decided 'malicious' was okay but 'malignant' sounded cooler, and nominalized the latter to 'malignance'...and never pegged the actual essence of Watts' attitude towards Cinder, which is somewhere between contempt and scorn. The job of writers is not to use a complicated word or a simple word, a common or uncommon word, but to use the right word. 'Malignance' is merely an almost-right word.

Initially, I wasn't sure exactly why 'malignance' felt wrong to me here. My guess was that the connotative association with disease was careless (or perhaps a too-clever reference to Watts' medical background), and that the word didn't match Salem's general linguistic register, which is why I wondered if it was meant to sound archaic. But you've forced me to develop a much more complete understanding of why I felt that way. Thanks for that, I guess.

I also think it's silly that Salem, the being portrayed as ultimately malignant in this series (and that is an accurate use of the term, as it precisely reflects Salem's ill will towards humanity, and even characterizes the nature of her evil with an analogy between invasive Grimm and spreading tumors), is calling anyone else out for malignance. To be fair, though, that irony may be intentional.

Less likely to be intentional is the way Salem's passive-aggressive questioning of Watts makes her sound like she's arguing on the Internet. 'Course, that's probably my own projection more than anything else. But her whole 'how exactly do you justify your position, please explain it to me' routine is totally unnecessary.

You're right on one point, though: I am absolutely being an arrogant snob.
    Last edited by Lethologica; 2016-10-26 at 03:55 PM.

18. - Top - End - #378

Well, I had a post mostly written up, but based on what you said, Lethologica, I may have entirely misrepresented your argument. Actually, I'm pretty sure I did. Sorry about that.

I have a quote!
    I like you.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    Well, you're not wrong in what you posted so far--I do suspect the reason for using 'malignance' over the more serviceable and (somewhat) more accurate 'malice' was to make Salem sound either smart or ancient, and I do think the result sounds pretentious. They're not my only thoughts on the subject, and I may not think those things for the reason Diamond thinks I do, but I do think them.
    Last edited by Lethologica; 2016-10-26 at 04:36 PM.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Ogre in the Playground

I understood exactly what you meant, Diamond. But I'm not objecting to 'malignance' because it's uncommon or big or intellectual. Look at my username, for Pete's sake. Read my posts. The anti-intellectual ignorance of the narrow-minded is far from the only reason one might criticize a particular word choice, and I find your trigger-happy accusations frankly insulting.

Show
    I think 'malignance' is inexact in a way that suggests poor thesaurus use--like the writers, in describing Watts' behavior, started with 'hostile', and decided 'malicious' was okay but 'malignant' sounded cooler, and nominalized the latter to 'malignance'...and never pegged the actual essence of Watts' attitude towards Cinder, which is somewhere between contempt and scorn. The job of writers is not to use a complicated word or a simple word, a common or uncommon word, but to use the right word. 'Malignance' is merely an almost-right word.

Initially, I wasn't sure exactly why 'malignance' felt wrong to me here. My guess was that the connotative association with disease was careless (or perhaps a too-clever reference to Watts' medical background), and that the word didn't match Salem's general linguistic register, which is why I wondered if it was meant to sound archaic. But you've forced me to develop a much more complete understanding of why I felt that way. Thanks for that, I guess.

I also think it's silly that Salem, the being portrayed as ultimately malignant in this series (and that is an accurate use of the term, as it precisely reflects Salem's ill will towards humanity, and even characterizes the nature of her evil with an analogy between invasive Grimm and spreading tumors), is calling anyone else out for malignance. To be fair, though, that irony may be intentional.

Less likely to be intentional is the way Salem's passive-aggressive questioning of Watts makes her sound like she's arguing on the Internet. 'Course, that's probably my own projection more than anything else. But her whole 'how exactly do you justify your position, please explain it to me' routine is totally unnecessary.

You're right on one point, though: I am absolutely being an arrogant snob.
    I see. Well, reading this post here has, in fact, calmed me down considerably on the topic. I disagree with your stance (it sounding pretentious, it sounding like an internet argument, and it sounding like someone was just using a thesaurus), but given your reasoning, you no longer come across as being anti-intellectual. I also appreciate that you admit to being an arrogant snob.

Given my background (referenced earlier with my living location), I have developed something of a heated reaction to criticisms of word choice in general, and the type of criticism I'm most accustomed to are "that word is big or uncommon therefore deserving of mockery," which is exactly what you came across prior to your explanation here (and honestly, I'm still a bit perplexed you saw anything resembling agreement with you in my initial comment given that this apparently wasn't about uncommonness).

Also, given my prior experience, I have a visceral reaction to "that word choice makes you sound pretentious" (at least when it is a word that I see nothing wrong with - business-speak and the like are exceptions because they have no reason to exist in this world) because I see that claim as being an insult on par with things like "you must have gotten dropped on the head a lot as a child." Accusations of pretentiousness in situations that are NOT actually pretentious (they just "sound pretentious" to a particular listener for whatever reason) are insults in the league of slinging words not allowed past the board filters, in my mind. Hence the rather extreme response.

I apologize for being insulting in my previous posts. At this point, I think we can both just say we understand the other's point of view but disagree about specifics.

Also, I do think the irony was intentional with Salem calling out someone else's malignance, and I actually agree with you about your reasoning regarding choosing which words to use, I just disagree about your opinion regarding this specific situation.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Ettin in the Playground

All right, apology accepted, disagreement agreed upon. And I'll try to avoid letting the snob run wild.

What you said about malignancy and malignant being almost entirely medical terms and being more common than malignance was the point that I agreed with and considered a reason for my post. The association between that family of words and a particular disease behavior makes it much better-suited to describing evil that shares those characteristics than other kinds of evil, and that was the first explanation I thought of for my dislike of the word choice.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: S04E01
    Show
    Poor Jaune. When I saw him stoically chide his joking comrades, I felt quite hopeful. Had he finally shaken off the dunce cap? Then he got hit in the unmentionables for a cheap laugh; And my hope died.

23. - Top - End - #383

NecromancerGuy

Finally saw S4E1.
    Spoiler: S4E1
    Show
    Just felt like we had a cutscene of evil exposition followed by Jaune plays pokemon and fights regirock grim edition.
    Long-form Sig

24. - Top - End - #384
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    I should hope no one is watching it illegally. If you don't want to be a paying member, please wait for it to be released legally. It's only one extra day.

Spoiler: Volume 4, Chapter 1
    Show
    True, but I mean of everything we have seen.
    Really? I thought we had to wait a week.

Spoiler: S4E1
    Show

Also, minor quibbles. The whole intercontinental transmit system seems like a really stupid design. This is basically the internet right? Because the whole, if one part goes down, everything goes down sounds like an absolutely terrible design that the internet was designed to avoid. Especially considering the world they live in.
    And on that note, why aren't all settlements walled? They live in a world where grim attacks are common. You'd think they would be on war footing at all times.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm pretty sure I missed something, or am misunderstanding something here. You're talking about the village losing it's communications right? Cause that makes sense if you've ever used towers for a Wireless connection. Your local tower goes down for whatever reason? You lose all connection to the internet. Same thing here, Beacon was the local communications hub for the villages outside of the Kingdom (and it was only barely in range), and when Beacon was lost, they lost all of their communications.

That implies there is an Indianapolis. If Chicago is the only connection point, because you can only make one connection point because GRIM keep destroying your cities, then losing Chicago means you lose the entire connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Anyr View Post
    Show
    Poor Jaune. When I saw him stoically chide his joking comrades, I felt quite hopeful. Had he finally shaken off the dunce cap? Then he got hit in the unmentionables for a cheap laugh; And my hope died.
    Ditto.

Show
    It was alright.

Cinder being mute is the best thing ever. It forces them to make her emote more, and we don't have to hear her talk. She might even experience character growth! Though if she gets redeemed, I'll be annoyed.

Mustache is pretty good. He disses Cinder, shows respect to Salem, and defends his diss well. Yeah, he's a jerk. He's also on team evil, they should have some jerks.

Big guy is a stoic mask right now. We'll see how he turns out.

Crazy Guy is a boring sadist. I don't think the show can give him the necessary scenes to make him truly horrifying, and as a result they are overplaying his trope. If they toned it down, they could do a more subtle job on highlighting that he's a crazy person who mutilates his opponent.

Finally Salem is interesting and cool. I like her fist scene, and best of all she's got Cinder out of the plot for the season (hopefully).

Anyways, I do hope that we'll lose the villain perspective from this point on. Lets get to know these guys through our heroes eyes.

Speaking of:

Nice fight scene. Nora and Ren are still good, and Juane is actually showing some signs of growth. Which is good, because he's not funny. At all. In anything!

Also the DBZ Abridged reference felt really forced.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

25. - Top - End - #385

A week late due to the Rooster Teeth site literally, actively fighting against me accessing it. Let's RWBY.

RWBY Volume 4, Episode 1: The Next Step

Spoiler: RWBY V4C1
    Show
    We open on a big special effects shot of a Grimm raaaising out of the goo. It looks way better than it did in the previous volume, but something feels off about the animation here (and honestly, throughout). I feel like the designs are better, but they still kinda look...knock-offy? If you put one of these in a Bootleg "Anime Ghost Samurai" toy pack with a bootleg Ichigo it'd still work. Also...god, the goop effects don't really work.

Emerald and Mercury seem really upset about watching the spawning process go on. Maybe you shouldn't of teamed up with the vague, evil platitude spewing cardboard cutout that is Cinder?

I kinda like the design of Salem's house. Everything's made of crystal and bleached wood, thrown together. Candles just kinda sitting on crystals cause she doesn't have lights. It's neat. It's actually some sort of Aesthetic, giving a sort of feel to the place that feels totally different from anything else in the show.

What I'm NOT liking is Cinder's new outfit. It looks bad. The asymetrical design is dumb and it looks way too...I can't think of a word to describe it. It looks shoddy.

...Emerald kind of bumps into Mercury and the fancy looking aristocrat dude acts as if dialogue was said, telling Cinder to keep her posse in check. That...seems arbitrary a thing to say. It feels more like he should ask if they're nervous...even if he's a rudeboy, it can lead to somewhere that shows this if he asks why they seem on edge.

For example, his comment about how Cinder has finally shut up because RWBY made her mute by staring at her really hard. As much of an obvious ******* as this guy is, points from me for ****ting on Cinder.

Okay cool the Greed looking mother****er is 100% exactly as predicted in every single way. I hate this non character. Make him go away.

And so my theory that Cinder is actually Neo in disguise ends before it began, as she tries to talk and then whispers words to Emerald to be her voice piece. If she was Neo she'd just stay mute and not try to say things.

I still think Salem is overdesigned. Reducing the amount of veins would help a lot. She craps on Watts for being malign to Cinder, which...look, I get she's meant to be an archiac super wizard or whatever, but I don't think it works. It just feels out of place. I DO like that Salem is like "yo Watts she didn't FAIL. She just got owned. There's a difference."

Oh my god the buff boy at the table has such a CRAPPY VOICE ACTOR. It's the type of garbage "deep gravelly voice" you'd except from a bad Batman voice actor. Good lord. He says they've dealt with silver eyed people before...which seems weird since Ruby's eyes are SUPER rare, and all of these people except Salem are likely no older than what, 40ish? He says that a novice beating one of them is weird...but give Cinder's also a novice that doesn't really gel with me. Cut her some slack guys, these eyeball wings are bull****.

And now I'm defending Cinder. Thanks RWBY.

Salem mentions that being a Maiden brings with it a great weakness. Man this feels like something Ozpin should of mentioned to Pyrrha?

So, Dr Watts is going to Mistral, Tyrion (the non character) is going after the Spring Maiden, and Hazel (the buff boy) is going to meet with the White Fang leader. Adam, their loyal man on the inside, has arranged it. It seems this Sienna Kahn is the true leader of the White Fang...and this just seems like a retcon? Because everything about Adam and Blake's interactions has painted him as the leader. But okay, whatever, let's just say he's a sub commander. Why does Kahn approve of what he's doing?

Small thing I'd like to point out. Cinder speaks for like...5 or 6 seconds. The message Emerald says or her is four words long. Even with her voice ripped out of her, Cinder can't help but be wordy. She asks about who's gonna punch Ruby's face, and Dr Watts is like "That's your problem" and I mean...it is.

But for some reason Salem says naw Tyrion, forget your main goal, which is our main goal, one of the most important things we're doing, and go beat up this random small child. Tyrion is absolutely giddy...until Salem says she needs to be brought in alive. Then he is sad.

Tyrion is ****ing disgusting, and is also EXACTLY what I thought he'd be. He's a worthless piece of **** character with the depth of a cheese grater shaving and his role in the story literally could be fulfilled by having Roman in his place. He will contribute nothing of interest to the series AT ALL.

No, seriously. Tryion is the worst. How do these people tolerate him? He's just an utter **** for brains moron who wants to maim children all day. The day he gets stared at really hard and dies from it will not come soon enough.

Meanwhile, random freckle faced farm boy! Because that's what RWBY needed, more characters. Episode is nearly half over and the protagonists haven't appeared yet. This farm boy has a scarf with a rainbow of colour on it so he's going to be a secret super important character and I'm just vomiting in my mouth. This is dumb. His model looks bad and the animation is bad. How do farms like this even exist outside the walled cities?

...Nora and Ren's arguement about the team name annoys me. It's cute, but it also...doesn't fit. It's something Nora would DO, but...it seems poorly placed. It's kinda funny, but it's also just literally taking a fan arguement and putting it into the show. I don't like it. And judging from te fact that the popped up letters are visible from other angles shows quite clearly that yeah, these people have seen Kill la Kill and found the one girl quite funny. Ha ha. I don't like Nora's new outfit it looks dumb. The heart with a slash through it doesn't fit at all, and would be super uncomfortable. Ren looks like he's aged ten years and the pink black gradiant arm stockings are dumb. I like that Jaune's actually being serious for once.

Oh wow the fight scene looks way more silted now. You thought the animatio was bad before? You aint seen nothing yet. That said I like the Geist, the design is sort of neat, and it reminds me of the "Possession type Grimm" from the manga that took over the armor that was sent to fight Weiss in her trailer opening. So I guess that's canon now!

Ruby's outfit looks far more "adult" on her then it should. She's still a kid, it just doesn't work for me. It's better designed, and yet somehow worse than her regular outfit.

Nora can just fly with the exhaust of her gun now. Okay. Ruby meanwhile can just fly. I think this is OKAY, though the effects look REALLY BAD. All the effects have this really shoddy "fake" quality to them, and it's not enjoyable.

Ren propelled himself forward by jumping backwards into the air and then spinning. I'm not going to get into the physics of RWBY or whatever but he literally kicked off of nothing to gain momentum and this is dumb. Also, his weapons continue to be useless in every single way. Also also, despite this, they still win...and it's like...again, why is anything a threat? This giant massive fast golem monster was defeated no sweat.

...why did Ruby think electricity would hurt a boulder monster?

....oh good a nut shot on Jaune. Glad the show is still treating it's good characters like worthless garbage. CArry on.

And in the end they save the day due to Nora just smashing it to pieces which she could of done at any other time.

...given that the Geist can continually possess things to regain limbs why did Ruby set the tree arm on fire? What did this accomplish?

It was never protecting it's face in the entire fight. Also come on Jaune this is OBVIOUS.

"we hit it! Harder!"

****ing...this is a Dragonball Z abridged joke. They used this AS A JOKE once. You realize you're trying to write an actual serious story here right RT? ****ing...nonsense.

And now it's time for Nora to reveal her new weapon upgrade! Why do we care about a tertiary character's weapon upgrade? Or are we rolling on the "Jaune's team is the protagonists" like Season 1 did again? I realize they're important now, but still. Why Nora? And why is her upgrade so...absolutely underwhelming. She can channel electricity to her weapon now. Okay. Could she not before? It's her aura power. Aura extends to weapons, according to all of you guys. Why could she not? Was it not grounded? Why does it matter now? Lightning doesn't even hurt this thing it's rocks.

...WOW, the finish to this fight was LAME. It looked like TRASH. Also Ruby can pick people up and fly with with them but it makes them into an orb.

...was that end shot meant to be poignant? They don't show the possessor Grimm dying, we see the bullet heading for it's face and then...cut to birds flying. That...that wasn't...any sense. Why?

How is this village alive if the Geist had been plaguing them for WEEKS? Grimm are supposed to be a big deal remember. Also, Ruby offering to take AN ENTIRE TOWN with her is STUPID. It's NICE, sure, but there's NO WAY they could relocate. That's such a stupid thing. At least the town elder SAYS as much.

Speaking of poignant, a REALLY nice moment where Jaune had Pyrrha's armor melted down to be made into better equipment for him. I don't know how he got it since all of her stuff vanished except her shield, spear, and crown, but whatever. It is ruined by their making another "haha Jaune is a child and wears a bunny hoodie" joke. You ****ing MORONS. Way to undercut any drama this scene had.

And...then Ruby's head gets all big as she laughs at him. This is..I don't...people who say that RWBY is unique in how it presents it's animeness are ****ing idiots, all of them. This is garbage trash of the highest degree, generic and without any concern for what it's good parts actually ARE. It's thrown in here because other anime might do it. This is not the place for stupid anime comedy jokes, this is supposed to be a serious moment. Why is everyone so concerned about this show being "too dark" again? No one even CARES.

This dramatic and touching moment has been almost entirely ruined. I was even going to let it slide that there would not be nearly enough metal to use in this production, but no. Not anymore. There's not enough metal in that busted up shield, the broken ass spear, and Pyrrha's tiara to work to upgrade his stuff. That said I do like Jaune's upgrade, it continues to be the only outfit that "works" for this series. A modern person cloths with armor strapped to it. A modern fantasy in a world where people are surrounded by evil and scrounge to survive. It's a half decent design. The breastplate looks a bit too form fitting though.

Meanwhile, with Weiss...she exists.

And thats the episode. Here are my more detailed thoughts and musing on this episode.

Show
    It was actually an okay start. Some of the new outfits work, some don't. Mercury and Emerald don't get any and that's cool and good **** them. Cinder's new outfit is bad. Ruby's is illfitting. Nora's is out of character. Ren's makes him look like he's 30 and trying to connect with his youth. Jaune's is good.

Dr Watts is okay. Salem continues to be overdesigned and honestly just boring, but her being kind to Cinder for winning is nice. Cinder losing her eye and her voice makes me happy because I hate Cinder. Hazel has a bad voice actor and Tyrion shouldn't exist and I will never say anything positive about this garbage ass character except that the stolen design from FMA actually looks kinda good. The Possess Grimm/Geist was neat, but how they beat it sucked. The animation was better than season 3's but still bad. The fight was nonsense and didn't matter and had no stakes and had no tension.

The farmer boy out of nowhere is going to be important and I'd rather it not. I'm predicting he's actually a girl and is the Spring Maiden.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Titan in the Playground

A week late due to the Rooster Teeth site literally, actively fighting against me accessing it. Let's RWBY.

RWBY Volume 4, Episode 1: The Next Step

Show
    We open on a big special effects shot of a Grimm raaaising out of the goo. It looks way better than it did in the previous volume, but something feels off about the animation here (and honestly, throughout). I feel like the designs are better, but they still kinda look...knock-offy? If you put one of these in a Bootleg "Anime Ghost Samurai" toy pack with a bootleg Ichigo it'd still work. Also...god, the goop effects don't really work.

Emerald and Mercury seem really upset about watching the spawning process go on. Maybe you shouldn't of teamed up with the vague, evil platitude spewing cardboard cutout that is Cinder?

I kinda like the design of Salem's house. Everything's made of crystal and bleached wood, thrown together. Candles just kinda sitting on crystals cause she doesn't have lights. It's neat. It's actually some sort of Aesthetic, giving a sort of feel to the place that feels totally different from anything else in the show.

What I'm NOT liking is Cinder's new outfit. It looks bad. The asymetrical design is dumb and it looks way too...I can't think of a word to describe it. It looks shoddy.

...Emerald kind of bumps into Mercury and the fancy looking aristocrat dude acts as if dialogue was said, telling Cinder to keep her posse in check. That...seems arbitrary a thing to say. It feels more like he should ask if they're nervous...even if he's a rudeboy, it can lead to somewhere that shows this if he asks why they seem on edge.

For example, his comment about how Cinder has finally shut up because RWBY made her mute by staring at her really hard. As much of an obvious ******* as this guy is, points from me for ****ting on Cinder.

Okay cool the Greed looking mother****er is 100% exactly as predicted in every single way. I hate this non character. Make him go away.

And so my theory that Cinder is actually Neo in disguise ends before it began, as she tries to talk and then whispers words to Emerald to be her voice piece. If she was Neo she'd just stay mute and not try to say things.

I still think Salem is overdesigned. Reducing the amount of veins would help a lot. She craps on Watts for being malign to Cinder, which...look, I get she's meant to be an archiac super wizard or whatever, but I don't think it works. It just feels out of place. I DO like that Salem is like "yo Watts she didn't FAIL. She just got owned. There's a difference."

Oh my god the buff boy at the table has such a CRAPPY VOICE ACTOR. It's the type of garbage "deep gravelly voice" you'd except from a bad Batman voice actor. Good lord. He says they've dealt with silver eyed people before...which seems weird since Ruby's eyes are SUPER rare, and all of these people except Salem are likely no older than what, 40ish? He says that a novice beating one of them is weird...but give Cinder's also a novice that doesn't really gel with me. Cut her some slack guys, these eyeball wings are bull****.

And now I'm defending Cinder. Thanks RWBY.

Salem mentions that being a Maiden brings with it a great weakness. Man this feels like something Ozpin should of mentioned to Pyrrha?

So, Dr Watts is going to Mistral, Tyrion (the non character) is going after the Spring Maiden, and Hazel (the buff boy) is going to meet with the White Fang leader. Adam, their loyal man on the inside, has arranged it. It seems this Sienna Kahn is the true leader of the White Fang...and this just seems like a retcon? Because everything about Adam and Blake's interactions has painted him as the leader. But okay, whatever, let's just say he's a sub commander. Why does Kahn approve of what he's doing?

Small thing I'd like to point out. Cinder speaks for like...5 or 6 seconds. The message Emerald says or her is four words long. Even with her voice ripped out of her, Cinder can't help but be wordy. She asks about who's gonna punch Ruby's face, and Dr Watts is like "That's your problem" and I mean...it is.

But for some reason Salem says naw Tyrion, forget your main goal, which is our main goal, one of the most important things we're doing, and go beat up this random small child. Tyrion is absolutely giddy...until Salem says she needs to be brought in alive. Then he is sad.

Tyrion is ****ing disgusting, and is also EXACTLY what I thought he'd be. He's a worthless piece of **** character with the depth of a cheese grater shaving and his role in the story literally could be fulfilled by having Roman in his place. He will contribute nothing of interest to the series AT ALL.

No, seriously. Tryion is the worst. How do these people tolerate him? He's just an utter **** for brains moron who wants to maim children all day. The day he gets stared at really hard and dies from it will not come soon enough.

Meanwhile, random freckle faced farm boy! Because that's what RWBY needed, more characters. Episode is nearly half over and the protagonists haven't appeared yet. This farm boy has a scarf with a rainbow of colour on it so he's going to be a secret super important character and I'm just vomiting in my mouth. This is dumb. His model looks bad and the animation is bad. How do farms like this even exist outside the walled cities?

...Nora and Ren's arguement about the team name annoys me. It's cute, but it also...doesn't fit. It's something Nora would DO, but...it seems poorly placed. It's kinda funny, but it's also just literally taking a fan arguement and putting it into the show. I don't like it. And judging from te fact that the popped up letters are visible from other angles shows quite clearly that yeah, these people have seen Kill la Kill and found the one girl quite funny. Ha ha. I don't like Nora's new outfit it looks dumb. The heart with a slash through it doesn't fit at all, and would be super uncomfortable. Ren looks like he's aged ten years and the pink black gradiant arm stockings are dumb. I like that Jaune's actually being serious for once.

Oh wow the fight scene looks way more silted now. You thought the animatio was bad before? You aint seen nothing yet. That said I like the Geist, the design is sort of neat, and it reminds me of the "Possession type Grimm" from the manga that took over the armor that was sent to fight Weiss in her trailer opening. So I guess that's canon now!

Ruby's outfit looks far more "adult" on her then it should. She's still a kid, it just doesn't work for me. It's better designed, and yet somehow worse than her regular outfit.

Nora can just fly with the exhaust of her gun now. Okay. Ruby meanwhile can just fly. I think this is OKAY, though the effects look REALLY BAD. All the effects have this really shoddy "fake" quality to them, and it's not enjoyable.

Ren propelled himself forward by jumping backwards into the air and then spinning. I'm not going to get into the physics of RWBY or whatever but he literally kicked off of nothing to gain momentum and this is dumb. Also, his weapons continue to be useless in every single way. Also also, despite this, they still win...and it's like...again, why is anything a threat? This giant massive fast golem monster was defeated no sweat.

...why did Ruby think electricity would hurt a boulder monster?

....oh good a nut shot on Jaune. Glad the show is still treating it's good characters like worthless garbage. CArry on.

And in the end they save the day due to Nora just smashing it to pieces which she could of done at any other time.

...given that the Geist can continually possess things to regain limbs why did Ruby set the tree arm on fire? What did this accomplish?

It was never protecting it's face in the entire fight. Also come on Jaune this is OBVIOUS.

"we hit it! Harder!"

****ing...this is a Dragonball Z abridged joke. They used this AS A JOKE once. You realize you're trying to write an actual serious story here right RT? ****ing...nonsense.

And now it's time for Nora to reveal her new weapon upgrade! Why do we care about a tertiary character's weapon upgrade? Or are we rolling on the "Jaune's team is the protagonists" like Season 1 did again? I realize they're important now, but still. Why Nora? And why is her upgrade so...absolutely underwhelming. She can channel electricity to her weapon now. Okay. Could she not before? It's her aura power. Aura extends to weapons, according to all of you guys. Why could she not? Was it not grounded? Why does it matter now? Lightning doesn't even hurt this thing it's rocks.

...WOW, the finish to this fight was LAME. It looked like TRASH. Also Ruby can pick people up and fly with with them but it makes them into an orb.

...was that end shot meant to be poignant? They don't show the possessor Grimm dying, we see the bullet heading for it's face and then...cut to birds flying. That...that wasn't...any sense. Why?

How is this village alive if the Geist had been plaguing them for WEEKS? Grimm are supposed to be a big deal remember. Also, Ruby offering to take AN ENTIRE TOWN with her is STUPID. It's NICE, sure, but there's NO WAY they could relocate. That's such a stupid thing. At least the town elder SAYS as much.

Speaking of poignant, a REALLY nice moment where Jaune had Pyrrha's armor melted down to be made into better equipment for him. I don't know how he got it since all of her stuff vanished except her shield, spear, and crown, but whatever. It is ruined by their making another "haha Jaune is a child and wears a bunny hoodie" joke. You ****ing MORONS. Way to undercut any drama this scene had.

And...then Ruby's head gets all big as she laughs at him. This is..I don't...people who say that RWBY is unique in how it presents it's animeness are ****ing idiots, all of them. This is garbage trash of the highest degree, generic and without any concern for what it's good parts actually ARE. It's thrown in here because other anime might do it. This is not the place for stupid anime comedy jokes, this is supposed to be a serious moment. Why is everyone so concerned about this show being "too dark" again? No one even CARES.

This dramatic and touching moment has been almost entirely ruined. I was even going to let it slide that there would not be nearly enough metal to use in this production, but no. Not anymore. There's not enough metal in that busted up shield, the broken ass spear, and Pyrrha's tiara to work to upgrade his stuff. That said I do like Jaune's upgrade, it continues to be the only outfit that "works" for this series. A modern person cloths with armor strapped to it. A modern fantasy in a world where people are surrounded by evil and scrounge to survive. It's a half decent design. The breastplate looks a bit too form fitting though.

Meanwhile, with Weiss...she exists.

And thats the episode. Here are my more detailed thoughts and musing on this episode.

Show
    It was actually an okay start. Some of the new outfits work, some don't. Mercury and Emerald don't get any and that's cool and good **** them. Cinder's new outfit is bad. Ruby's is illfitting. Nora's is out of character. Ren's makes him look like he's 30 and trying to connect with his youth. Jaune's is good.

Dr Watts is okay. Salem continues to be overdesigned and honestly just boring, but her being kind to Cinder for winning is nice. Cinder losing her eye and her voice makes me happy because I hate Cinder. Hazel has a bad voice actor and Tyrion shouldn't exist and I will never say anything positive about this garbage ass character except that the stolen design from FMA actually looks kinda good. The Possess Grimm/Geist was neat, but how they beat it sucked. The animation was better than season 3's but still bad. The fight was nonsense and didn't matter and had no stakes and had no tension.

The farmer boy out of nowhere is going to be important and I'd rather it not. I'm predicting he's actually a girl and is the Spring Maiden.
    Show
    How is a Sophisticated Gangster going to fill the same role as a Sadistic Psychopath? They are two completely different archtypes, and have very different arcs if they are played true to form. Roman might have been a better character but the new guy is certainly different.

I'm going to guess he's actually a guy and is the Spring Maiden.
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

27. - Top - End - #387

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Show
    How is a Sophisticated Gangster going to fill the same role as a Sadistic Psychopath? They are two completely different archtypes, and have very different arcs if they are played true to form. Roman might have been a better character but the new guy is certainly different.

I'm going to guess he's actually a guy and is the Spring Maiden.
    Spoiler: V4C1
    Show

I meant the mechanical role, not his archetype. Roman could of easily served as "the guy who hunts down Ruby and the Spring Maiden" in the plot, and it'd be far better for it. No one wants sociopath child stabber in this show. He's different "for the show" but he'll never do anything unique or interesting. You said it yourself I think, Tyrion will never get to do anything that takes advantage of his "crazed psycho slasher" persona. So he's just going to be annoying.

Guys can't be Maidens.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Titan in the Playground

Show

I meant the mechanical role, not his archetype. Roman could of easily served as "the guy who hunts down Ruby and the Spring Maiden" in the plot, and it'd be far better for it. No one wants sociopath child stabber in this show. He's different "for the show" but he'll never do anything unique or interesting. You said it yourself I think, Tyrion will never get to do anything that takes advantage of his "crazed psycho slasher" persona. So he's just going to be annoying.

Guys can't be Maidens.
    Show
    I see what you mean. Yeah, I agree with you there. Or have it be Mercury, Emerald, and Neo, and let Tyrion commit atrocities in the background where he can actually commit atrocities.

Bah and humbug! Gender does not need to be restricted to two solo binary roles! The dudes can be female, the bride a male and yadda yadda yadda. And clearly the rainbow thingy is a callout to the LGBT community and a hint to the Maiden's unorthodox gender. It's also why team evil can't find the Spring Maiden, they aren't looking at the right people. (Actually what Rainbow Thingy? I can't remember one, but someone mentioned it. Also I would laugh pretty hard if I was actually right.)
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

29. - Top - End - #389

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Show
    I see what you mean. Yeah, I agree with you there. Or have it be Mercury, Emerald, and Neo, and let Tyrion commit atrocities in the background where he can actually commit atrocities.

Bah and humbug! Gender does not need to be restricted to two solo binary roles! The dudes can be female, the bride a male and yadda yadda yadda. And clearly the rainbow thingy is a callout to the LGBT community and a hint to the Maiden's unorthodox gender. It's also why team evil can't find the Spring Maiden, they aren't looking at the right people. (Actually what Rainbow Thingy? I can't remember one, but someone mentioned it. Also I would laugh pretty hard if I was actually right.)
    Show
    If this is what they meant by having a trans character in show, it better be mtf and not ftm because if it's the latter that's SUPER ****ING TONE DEAF. Let's assume this random ass farmer is the Spring Maiden. If they are just a girl who looks like a boy, that's fine. If they're a boy, that breaks all canon. If they're a trans girl, ie mtf, then that's fine, she's a girl in her soul so the Maiden power can go to her. Still looks like a boy so that's weird but whatever. If they're ftm, and is te Spring Maiden, because "she's really a girl" then we should set fire to Roosterteeth's office building because that's horribly offensive.

The farmer's overalls had a rainbowish/RWBYish coloured handerchief sticking out of it.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2016-10-29 at 02:50 PM.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    If this is what they meant by having a trans character in show, it better be mtf and not ftm because if it's the latter that's SUPER ****ING TONE DEAF. Let's assume this random ass farmer is the Spring Maiden. If they are just a girl who looks like a boy, that's fine. If they're a boy, that breaks all canon. If they're a trans girl, ie mtf, then that's fine, she's a girl in her soul so the Maiden power can go to her. Still looks like a boy so that's weird but whatever. If they're ftm, and is te Spring Maiden, because "she's really a girl" then we should set fire to Roosterteeth's office building because that's horribly offensive.

The farmer's overalls had a rainbowish/RWBYish coloured handerchief sticking out of it.
    Spoiler: V4C1 kinda
    Show
    Wait, they said there would be a trans character? Geeze, I was joking before, but now I kinda think I'm right.

I do think it would be a mtf situation, but I wouldn't put the latter past Rooster Teeth.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show