New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 59 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: RWBY VIII: Well, THAT escalated quickly

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    Haha, that is exactly what I wouldn't want personally. Those types of jokes and characters just rub me super the wrong way, though I know plenty who like that kind of stuff.
    Well, I don't want "exactly" that. Maybe I'm just weird.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: S4E3
    Show
    Who is this mysterious hooded person on the boat?! Surely the opening credits wouldn't spoil us on something like this! I mean, it doesn't matter all that much since he gets revealed five minutes later anyways, but still.

Hey! The one character I care about! I guess Ironwood can really pull strings if he got it internationally shipped. This scene is actually really good since they didn't just use it as a handwave to bring Yang right back into action. I've been apathetic towards pretty much every serious moment this season, except this scene. Every emotional bit with RNJR was going "hey guys Pyrrha's dead remember" but with Yang there is a solution to things. My problem with Blake and Weiss is more a matter of having annoying people playing major roles in their arcs.

This is a pretty cool Grimm. Actually, it reminds me of a fight in Castle Crashers. Keep hitting the thing until you can lure it into a cannonball. That heavy cannon is hilarious though, it's like a super-advanced cannonball cannon. It seems to shoot flak or some other air-burst munitions though. And then there's that row of regular cannonball cannons the ship has. Guess it makes sense 'cause they live in a world full of monsters.

I didn't even listen to this scene.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

3. - Top - End - #453
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Alright, I've got to stop and ask here, how was Penny's death handled well?

Because I wrote an entire essay way back when explaining why and how it was handled incredibly poorly. In fact, I can't think of a single positive thing about her death.
    With respect to positive things...

It was a form of payoff of CRME discovering Penny's nature. They exploited her to propagandize about the corruption of multiple kingdoms, which increased division between the kingdoms and primed people to see the robots as Atlas' fault. Penny's also the character whose death leaves the most room for escalation (and boy, did they need room), since she can be rebuilt.

My concern is more that they can't play the crackling madman with the horror it needs to be effective. The Joker is scary because we see him brutally murder people for no reason. Kimberly is shocking because we see him commit genocide and other war crimes.
    That tone shouldn't be hard to achieve with a character like Tyrian, though. The problem is doing anything more than that, which is what would make him interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnoc View Post
    It doesn't violate physics if the swords reach their maximum distance or if penny had locked them to a set distance (which her fighting style would require her to be able to do). At that point her swords are a lever arm with a force acting at one end, that generate a torque.
    The torque exists only so long as the force has a component perpendicular to the fulcrum (Penny), which becomes negligible once the swords are behind Penny. There is no reason for the wires to wrap around Penny the way they did, because they would have had to come back towards Pyrrha (i.e. against the direction of the force applied) to do so.

Also, for some reason Penny was dismembered in place, instead of being yanked away from Pyrrha and out of the ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    LaZodiac's perspective is a good balance-point to the fan-boy echo chamber threads like this can devolve into. In many ways, LaZo reminds me of the "only sane man" in various cartoons. "Why are you voting for him? Can't you see he's a chicken?! I mean, literally a chicken? He's scratching up worms right there as we speak!" It also has to be said that being limited to only one scene each with multiple eccentric characters makes it hard to get a bead on them and, given RWBY's history, it is really unnerving to consider what they'll be like when they get more air time.
    Heh. Defending negative views and criticism on this show's threads has something of a pedigree.

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    Spoiler: L4E3
    Show
    I know some people are talking about the odd timing of getting a replacement arm so soon, but I thought that was an excellent choice. Yang's problem isn't the loss of her arm. Sure, it sucks, it makes life so much harder, and it's a tragic blow to her identity, but in truth it's a very minor part of her problem. If there's one thing Yang has made clear in the entire series, it's that she's always treated being a Huntress as a game. "I want to go around the world having all kinds of wild adventures, and if I can help people along the way, all the better." If there's two things about Yang that have been made clear throughout the series, it's that Yang takes her relationships very seriously. Her friends, her sister, her teammates, it doesn't matter. She will go to any length for them, without a second thought, and worries about all of them whenever they're struggling.

The fall of Beacon didn't just cost her arm, it cost her everything. The innocent joy in being excellent at her favorite game, the feeling that everything will work out if she just sees it through, being the big sister who protects everyone, and the idea that friends are forever. Everyone has left her. The girl she gave her right arm to save abandoned her and everyone else without a word. Weiss went home to a family she'd made clear she didn't enjoy because there was nothing left in Vale for her. Pyrrha and Penny are dead. And, because she couldn't break out of her fugue, now her sister and everyone else she'd cared about in Beacon have gone off on an extremely dangerous quest and left her behind and she neither has the strength nor the position to protect any of them. Yang is destroyed, and the idea of having her limb back not only isn't going to be an instant fix for everything, it only drags her deeper into her depression - she feels she deserved to have her arm cut off, that she deserves to suffer. Her heart needs to be fixed long before some robotic arm will do her any good.
    Spoiler: v4e3
    Show
    As the only person who brought this up, I think we mostly agree. I'm just surprised the new arm's arrival was used immediately to establish the conflict, rather than later on to develop it or bring it to a head. I suppose that could still happen, though.
    Last edited by Lethologica; 2016-11-06 at 10:03 PM.

4. - Top - End - #454
    Titan in the Playground

It doesn't violate physics if the swords reach their maximum distance or if penny had locked them to a set distance (which her fighting style would require her to be able to do). At that point her swords are a lever arm with a force acting at one end, that generate a torque.
    If the blades had moved properly sure, but the swords move directly behind her in a straight line, and then the wire begins wrapping around her for no reason, despite the blades still moving in a straight line. The blades would actually have to swing in a loop for that to work, but if that happened, they'd just smack straight into the ground, and it would stop there.

The reworded bit is much better.

If you don't mind the reply though, I'll give it a go...wanna open with the fact that I really, REALLY doubt we've seen the last of Penny. Of all the characters that died, she's the one that's easiest to bring back and in a way that makes sense. Heck, I might even go so far as to say she NEEDS to come back.

Spoiler: Penny Stuff
    Show
    1. This...doesn't bother me. This kinda stuff has never bothered me so...can't really give a good rebuttal because I don't see anything wrong with it or even know if its wrong.

2. It...I don't know if it does? Penny has an aura, that much is certain but...did she use it the same way that other Hunstmen do? I don't think she does if only because we've...seen her take minor damage that aura should stop and it didn't do anything about it...but we also know they were monitoring her Aura levels against Pyrrha and presumably no one noticed anything weird like her Aura not dropping as Pyrrha hit her. Got three theories myself.
    -Pyrrha's deflection didn't just redirect the swords...it short-circuited Penny and/or completely depleted her Aura considering how bad magnetism is for computers and her Aura was spent absorbing that danger. Problem is, we don't see the Aura break effect so its not likely to be the second.
    -Penny's aura doesn't work as normal because something dangerous to say...Ruby normally isn't dangerous to Penny if her aura was down due to the whole robot thing so its not...quite an unconscious defense like it is for others. Cause if it was, Penny's aura could get spent uselessly protecting against things that legitimately just aren't a threat to her that she just walks into because it won't hurt her. I could see Penny's aura requiring more conscious effort to use if only to keep it from being used up on little things and she herself was so caught off guard by such a violent defense to, to her, such a minor attack. Problem with this is...it would require Penny to consider an attack a threat to use her aura against it...there are obvious flaws with this design
    -Penny doesn't use her Aura for defense at all...its entirely used to create and power...well...Penny. Cause Penny is able to do amazing things like create laser beams (which is part of her weapon, not a semblance) and her buster cannon without the use of Dust. That energy has to come from somewhere and I'd wager that somewhere is from her Aura. And Penny is a robot...probably a durable one at that so she might not have needed to use her aura for defense at all. This is my personal theory.

3 ...how does it violate Penny's abilities as we know of them? Not disputing this one, not yet, until I know what you mean cause it doesn't seem to conflict with what we know of Penny's abilities.
    Sure, I do love talking with people who disagree with me. That's the most fun.

Show
    Sure, but that doesn't really help the actual execution and if it needed to be done. I'd argue that if you were going to just bring her back, then a dramatic injury that's impossible for a human to survive, but possible for a machine to survive, would have been better, because then Penny can react to everyone hating and fearing her, and Ruby can stand up for her. And things like that.

1. I'm usually pretty good about ignoring things like that, but this was a particularly bad example of it for me. Though anytime I have a wire or the like in my hand, I spin and twist it around, so I'm really familiar with the motions involved.

2. Maybe some of your theories have merit, or even are flat out correct. But we don't know, and I'm not giving them credit I don't think they've earned. Not when the first violation was so bad.

3. Two things, one we see Penny controlling her blades with immense percision and quite frankly impossible ways, but she's unable to deflect her blades being thrown at all. And the second is that we see Penny being moved by magnets before, at least a little, so Penny should have been thrown with the magnetic blast as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    With respect to positive things...

It was a form of payoff of CRME discovering Penny's nature. They exploited her to propagandize about the corruption of multiple kingdoms, which increased division between the kingdoms and primed people to see the robots as Atlas' fault. Penny's also the character whose death leaves the most room for escalation (and boy, did they need room), since she can be rebuilt.

The torque exists only so long as the force has a component perpendicular to the fulcrum (Penny), which becomes negligible once the swords are behind Penny. There is no reason for the wires to wrap around Penny the way they did, because they would have had to come back towards Pyrrha (i.e. against the direction of the force applied) to do so.

Also, for some reason Penny was dismembered in place, instead of being yanked away from Pyrrha and out of the ring.

Heh. Defending negative views and criticism on this show's threads has something of a pedigree.
    While I maintain Penny's death wasn't necessary, I don't outright hate the fact that she died. The execution ruins it for me though. I still think something like, Penny getting decapitated (by the blades flying backwards) and then her body still walking around, or her head still talking, would be a much more effective scene that underlines Penny's differences and why she's scary. As is, well anyone would also die from dismemberment.

Exactly that.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post

I am operating under the assumption that Phyrra's attack was a single blast rather than a continuous push. In that case angular momentum and the restoring force of the wire will make the swords spin around regardless of the initial direction of the force (watch tetherball sometime) The fact that Penny had her swords posed horizontally should be enough to provide torque assuming either fixed length or some amount of friction in unspooling.

As for Penny not being yanked away that could be handwaved with Aura preventing her from being directly affected by Pyrrha's semblence. Admittedly this is a handwave but if I don't use it I also have to look at conservation of linear momentum and pretty much every action scene in every series goes out the window.
    I don't know everything merely everything of importance-Fidelias
    Avatar by the illustrious Lord Raziere

6. - Top - End - #456
    Ettin in the Playground

I am operating under the assumption that Phyrra's attack was a single blast rather than a continuous push. In that case angular momentum and the restoring force of the wire will make the swords spin around regardless of the initial direction of the force (watch tetherball sometime) The fact that Penny had her swords posed horizontally should be enough to provide torque assuming either fixed length or some amount of friction in unspooling.
    That's even less reasonable, even if we grant the assumption. For what little it's worth, I was no slouch at tetherball in my elementary school grade, so I have a pretty good feel for those mechanics, and Pyrrha didn't knock Penny's blades in a trajectory that would lead to them wrapping around Penny. When you hit the ball right past the pole, the ball doesn't smoothly transition into orbit around the pole, it jerks and then comes back at you (well, not right at you, but pretty close). If you actually want wrapping action, you have to hit the ball perpendicular to the line between you and the pole. Pyrrha didn't do anything like that.

As for Penny not being yanked away that could be handwaved with Aura preventing her from being directly affected by Pyrrha's semblence. Admittedly this is a handwave but if I don't use it I also have to look at conservation of linear momentum and pretty much every action scene in every series goes out the window.
    I'm not talking about her being affected by Pyrrha's Semblance directly, I'm talking about her being yanked backwards by the swords on strings that are being repulsed by Pyrrha. It does happen a little with the arms-thrown-back pose Penny adopts, to be fair.

7. - Top - End - #457
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Spoiler: Just saw episode 3, thought I'd share said thoughts
    Show

Okay, so the whole Yang bit was great. That's just the perfect display of melancholy that is depression. Also, it really drives home how, even though her arm could be 'fix', somethings take a lot more to be fixed.

Everything else is very 'meh?'. The people animating the fight seem to have no idea what 'acceleration' or 'Newton's first law' are. I mean, every moment felt like the only speeds were 'moving' and 'stopped'. Also Sun was annoying. Blake should have slapped him more for it, especially that god awful pun at the end. Which let's me segway into Blake. I dislike her trench coat. If it was just a jacket, it would be great, but it's not, and I disapprove. She seems a bit too jumpy at the beginning, but I've never had my ex try to murder me, so I wouldn't know.

Oh, and Salem is being vagueishly scheme. That's a thing
    Last edited by A Tad Insane; 2016-11-06 at 10:41 PM.
    I'M NOT CRAZY!!

I just find sanity a rather dull affair

8. - Top - End - #458
    Ettin in the Playground

Sure, I do love talking with people who disagree with me. That's the most fun.

Show
    3. Two things, one we see Penny controlling her blades with immense percision and quite frankly impossible ways, but she's unable to deflect her blades being thrown at all. And the second is that we see Penny being moved by magnets before, at least a little, so Penny should have been thrown with the magnetic blast as well.
    [spoiler=Penny!]Well...when the blades are thrown, before they even get past her, we see Penny clutching her chest and almost doubling over as if in pain. I don't think she was in the proper state of mind to deflect the blades. As for the second, we...haven't seen Penny moved by magnets before? The only other time I can remember Penny being around or mentioning magnets is when one got stuck to her head and she had to hide it beneath a hat...not exactly the kind of magnet that would force Penny to move about.

While I maintain Penny's death wasn't necessary, I don't outright hate the fact that she died. The execution ruins it for me though. I still think something like, Penny getting decapitated (by the blades flying backwards) and then her body still walking around, or her head still talking, would be a much more effective scene that underlines Penny's differences and why she's scary. As is, well anyone would also die from dismemberment.

Exactly that.
    Probably..but the point wasn't to underline Penny's differences and why she's scary, it was to reveal that one of Atlas' prize students was a robot. That one of the Kingdoms has, essentially, been experimenting with manufacturing people and all the implications that brings with it like how Penny is so life-like. With the added point of 'and why does Atlas need androids in the first place'. To show that Ironwood and by extension the Atlas military aren't too be trusted and might just be preparing for a war...which is conveniently aided by the fact that the Knights 'go rogue' and attack civilians not minutes later.

Penny's personal arc has been about her being a robot and her search to be...well...more than that and craft social bonds with others. That wasn't her overall arc where she was a top-secret government weapon that nobody knew was a weapon.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

9. - Top - End - #459

Oh hey the RWBY manga is in Weekly Shonen Jump, if you guys want to read it officially.

Speaking of which, the actual RWBY manga BEGINS! Two chapters are out already. Thus begins the Original Story! For real!
    Spoiler: RWBY manga Chapter 10
    Show

For example, Roman and a White Fang dude find the entrance to the subway they're going to take over. We see Jaune doubled over in pain vomiting from his eyes nose and mouth. It turns out team JNPR is on a mission to kill some King Taijito's, the big ole snakes. Ren SHOWS EMOTION by being a smug ass hell dude about soloing a snake, and Nora jumps on his back and basically rides his **** about it too. RWBY is helping them out on this mission, but Pyrrha says that they can do it!

RWBY meanwhile is shocked that they went ahead, and Goodwitch...basically rips on Weiss in a not subtle way? She says "Oh I'm sure JNPR went forward to get better grades, and not to impress some white haired little snow princess." Yang complains about Ruby sleeping in, because she just HAD to read up on history. OF course she had to read the passages like fve times to remember any PEOPLE names, but she remembered all the WEAPONS on the first pass. Come on Ruby, is your brain made out out CANDY?

Blake looks on with a T_T face and Weiss just sighs about them always doing this. MAN, look at this...actual characterization.

Meanwhile, Roman gets attacked by a squid looking Grimm mask thing inside the subway. The White Fang...don't know what it is, and Roman says that he's read books on it. Something that you shouldn't unleash...

And that's that chapter. It was GREAT. ****. Why can't RWBY be like this.

Spoiler: RWBY manga Chapter 11
    Show

Meanwhile in Chapter 11, we open on Jaune being flung around the sky by LIKE FIVE SNAKE KINGS. This is ridiculous and like...I don't like it because these guys are ALL going to be killed, every single snake, and it just shows how ridiculous the power scaling is in this series, but it's also kind of funny. Ren says "well I did say there are only four, so that's 8 heads total. No big problem." and Nora's like "TWO FOR THE PRICE OF ONE! WHAT A GOOD DEAL!"

Jaune's all "BAD DEAL! VERY VERY BAD DEAL!"

The weird squiddy mask is watching JNPR fight, and Pyrrha says that she can't kill the snakes since their too slick. Her blade slides off without cutting. Nora says LETS SMASH EM THEN and POH MY GOD HER EYES! She's ****ED UP. There's some further banter, as Jaune goes "YAH THINK?!" when Ren notes that hey, don't get bit. Their fangs are dangerous. Nora asks if they're poisonous while flipping backwards while riding her hammer like a broom and Ren sighs (holy **** so much emotion from Ren in this) and says that poison is literally the least of your worry if a King Taijito bites you.

...and then the squid mask starts infecting the Snakes with it's tentacles, and they...combine. They form one giant King Orochi. Holy ****. That's actually kind of neat. Sadly this is teh last we'll see of RWBY, as Shonen Jump is now oficially releasing it and their website won't let me get a subscription, and the scanlaters are stoping for perfectly reasonable legal reasons.

I may try and get access to WSJ's website so I can continue reading this because it's hella better than the first three seasons of this dang ass show.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2016-11-07 at 01:50 AM.

10. - Top - End - #460
    Titan in the Playground

[spoiler=Penny!]Well...when the blades are thrown, before they even get past her, we see Penny clutching her chest and almost doubling over as if in pain. I don't think she was in the proper state of mind to deflect the blades. As for the second, we...haven't seen Penny moved by magnets before? The only other time I can remember Penny being around or mentioning magnets is when one got stuck to her head and she had to hide it beneath a hat...not exactly the kind of magnet that would force Penny to move about.

Probably..but the point wasn't to underline Penny's differences and why she's scary, it was to reveal that one of Atlas' prize students was a robot. That one of the Kingdoms has, essentially, been experimenting with manufacturing people and all the implications that brings with it like how Penny is so life-like. With the added point of 'and why does Atlas need androids in the first place'. To show that Ironwood and by extension the Atlas military aren't too be trusted and might just be preparing for a war...which is conveniently aided by the fact that the Knights 'go rogue' and attack civilians not minutes later.

Penny's personal arc has been about her being a robot and her search to be...well...more than that and craft social bonds with others. That wasn't her overall arc where she was a top-secret government weapon that nobody knew was a weapon.
    Was that what it was? I thought she was being pulled up slightly by it. But a magnet sticking to her does prove she effected by magnets regardless.

That's what team evil wanted to reveal, and what happened. But as for her personal arc, a reason on why Ironwood was hiding it, by having everyone react with fear towards her instead of it being overshadowed by the Grim attacking and Beacon falling.
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

11. - Top - End - #461

Flumph

Spoiler: Volime 4 Chapter 3
    Show
    I have a feeling that the "relic" Salem mentions is Ozpin's cane.

12. - Top - End - #462
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyPenguin View Post
    Spoiler: Volime 4 Chapter 3
    Show
    I have a feeling that the "relic" Salem mentions is Ozpin's cane.
    If your Vol 4 speculation is correct lets inform it with remindering an event from Vol 3 Chapter 12 Post Credits Teaser

Spoiler: Vol 4 Chapter 3 Speculation
    Show

Links to the relevant scene

https://youtu.be/hq1lk-QWxNg?t=1650

Uncle Qrow has Ozpin cane following Salem's speech at the end of Vol 3, and after the music and credits. Uncle Qrow is following RJNR (Ranger) right after Ruby leaves her family in vale behind. During said scene Qrow shapeshifts from human form to crow.

Note Qrow and his sister (Yang's mom) have the last name Branwen which is involved with welish mythology. Bran means Raven, and Gwen means blessed or white (how you combine the two words is Branwen instead of Brangwen). Note this same welish mythology has a lot to do with many other current fantasy stories the most prominent being Game of Thrones (the character Bran and his 3 eye raven) but there are also others.

So the take away of this for the people who forgot this scene from Vol 3 is Qrow has Ozpin's cane, and is probably following RJNR. Most likely going to save RJNR from's Salem's lackey who laugh alot which is known as Tyrian (not Tyrion).
    Last edited by Ramza00; 2016-11-08 at 02:15 AM.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

13. - Top - End - #463
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

On LGBT in RWBY. Ignore the butts.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

14. - Top - End - #464
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    On LGBT in RWBY. Ignore the butts.
    Probably the proper stance to take on it. Could just be me, but if you'rr going to include alternative sexualities in...whatever (not just anime) it should because that is what feels right for the characters in question and the situation...not just throwing it in just for the sake of having it.

I've seen enough 'here is a gay character just to show our work is progressive, look how gay they are, isn't it awesome that they're gay?' characters as it is, I'm not a fan of seeing more characters who's entire personality/character arcs are defined by their sexuality and the tropes/cliches associated with whatever that is.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

15. - Top - End - #465
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: V4 e3
    Show

Okay, Sun&Blake being Sun and Blake, no big deal. However, I've actually liked both Yang and Salem scene. With all that "are you sure, you've killed Ozpin" and when Cinder answers "yes", Salem instantly knows, that the old dude tricked Cinder - well, why not, she isn't that bright. Savvy, Salem, very savvy.
    And as for Yang - well, I didn't expect such realistic show of ptsd in this series. By the way, I wonder - to be an asset for a Hunter(ess), the prosthetic must be able to conduct Aura. Is her new arm made of dead Penny?
    English isn't my native. Sorry for all misunderstandings.
    Warning: This user is a powerplayer and a TYPE-Lunatic

Familiar summons YOU avatar by happyturtle

16. - Top - End - #466
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

New World of Remnant is out, Between the Kingdoms. It addresses... the villages that exist between the major cities.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

17. - Top - End - #467

Maybe one day Roosterteeth's site will work for me. For now, RWBY.

RWBY Volume 3 Chapter 3: Runaways and Stowaways

Spoiler: RWBY V4 C3
    Show
    Musings about the opening. This is probably my favorite of the openings because it's the least bad, and has the most actual kind of good moments...but every time I expect the end of it to go "but let's just leave" instead of "let's just live". It fits the rhyme more, and fits the feeling of the song more, I think.

As someone who knows just a little bit about boats, seeing those command tower looking things on a wood ass boat is just so stupid. Also...how do boat move? It has no sail. Does it have engines? Presumably, because it HAS A SPOILER ON IT. But that seems weird since it looks so old fashioned. This is one of those aesthetic problems RWBY has where it can't decide what level of tech it has so it just goes "yes" and farts out an abomination.

Blake looks out over the sea, and the captain of this fine chaos vessel asks her if she's traveling alone. Her response is to go for her weapon, and I mean that's fair Blake's always been jumpy. But...what happened to staying in Beacon trying to find Yang's arm/the other half of Ember Cecilia or whatever? Anyway, Blake is super ruder to this nice man for no reason, and he explains that in his experience the people sailing alone tend to have the most interesting tales. Blake doesn't want to tell him, saying sometimes it's just better to go it alone.

Also let's talk about Blake's new outfit. It's...atrocious. It's one of the worst designed things in this series and that's saying something. It's black cargo pants with a halter top lookin' belly shirt that has a bunch of mesh crossing over her chest and the implication of no sleeves. This is a really stupid outfit by itself, but in addition she wears a huge ass white coat over it. If her under cloths where better she could almost call it an outfit, but sticking a random trenchcoat onto a character doesn't really work. She's supposed to be a ninja guys. Also, it really messes with the whole colour scheme thing when she wears more white than Weiss does.

Some kids run bye and Blake jumps, on edge, and the captain laughs and says with her level of paranoia she could probably use a friend. Blake snaps at him about not being paranoid. I really don't get why Blake is SO salty. Must be the sea air. The captain sighs and leaves, warning her the trip'll be boring. Blake then decides to remove her ribbon and throw it into the ocean, showing off her cat ears, because "I won't be needing this".

...this water animation is the worst I've ever seen. The ribbon awkwardly floats to the water and then just kinda stops an inch above it. Not even a ripple. You guys have a budget now. As she walks away, a mysterious hooded person is watching her. Knowing my luck it'll be Wukong. As the mysterious figure follows her we get a sign of some kind of aquatic Grim showing up. So I guess the coasts aren't safe after all. So much for that mystery.

Meanwhile with Yang, man it sure does suck not having two arms. She flips through the news, and we see that the teachers are still trying to retake Beacon and...apparently wireless communication still works inside the kingdom even though they established the CCT towers kept THE ENTIRE INTERNET afloat, and that taking them down would destroy EVERYTHING. Ok. The only other interesting note is that she see's a report on Adam and gets all sad.

Her dad comes home and oh man, Yang's got her robot arm now. It...LOOKS like the arm is longer than the actual damage she took, but I can't be sure. Also it's all steel and silvery. That feels like an error that I hope they fix, colour coordinate your daughter's **** Yangdad. Yangdad says that Ironwood personally had his scientists working on an arm for Yang and...a question. Why? Is there something special about Yang's circumstance that requires creating a SPECIAL robot arm? We know robotic prosthetics are "a thing" in universe. I can see focusing special scientific research on getting Ironwood's artificial "entire half a body" but for Yang's arm? I don't really get it.

That being said let's discuss the arm. I think this is too easy and too early. She should have to deal with not having an arm for awhile. Unless she has to GET USED to the arm, this is just return to the statue quo and I'm not a fan. Yang should have to deal with the "not having an arm" part of you know, not having an arm. Also the idea that you can just "Try it on" bothers me. This tech should require....you know, a doctor. To attach the nerves. Unless you're saying she can just move it with Aura, which is dumb and doesn't work with anything the series has said about Aura this entire series, which IS NOT A LOT mind you.

Thankfully, Yang's still feeling like garbage so she decides not to try on the arm. She's clearly not doing well at all. I actually really like how Yang's casual attire and hair make her look like she's just given up. This is the best "new design" and I like it. I do kind of wish she just left the empty sleeve hanging loose though. Also...why are you wearing shoes inside the house, Yang?

I'm glad we're getting a look at Yang doing stuff with her one arm. That said, I think her freaking out and flashingback to Adam due to a glass breaking is A LITTLE MUCH. I can totally buy that traumatic stress problems caused by getting your arm sliced off, I really do, but I feel like just dropping a glass shouldn't evoke the reaction of fear and panic and getting scared about your arm getting hacked off. It should just make her MAD, very MAD. And then in her anger she can go back to that dark place where she go disarmed and then freak out. It feels "too much". She should get frustrated, try to pick up the broken glass, maybe cut herself and get madder, and we see her trying to use her semblance just kind of "on reflex" and THEN she returns to that moment of losing her arm. That's how I'D do it.

That being said, it is a better scene than I expected from RT, so...points where they're do. You managed to not mess it up, you just did something I disagree with from a writing stand point but "is still okay".

Meanwhile on the boat, the hooded figure looks at Blake and we get a glimpse of his hair aaand it's Sun. ****. Blake notices him and draws her weapon and gets all panicky and on edge and apparently Blake just by herself is enough to attract the sea monster Grimm. Jeez Blake, get some therapy.

Oh okay the sea serpent Grimm is some kind of vaguely Eastern dragon looking thing. Neat, I suppose. Given how powerful the "wyvern" was I imagine this'll be QUITE dangerous, and everyone will die. Or at least, a lot of people. The ship's gonna sink, basically.

The captain orders all hands to battle stations and...apparently they've never fought a Grimm THIS BIG before. How? The Nevermore is larger than it and IS A BIRD, so probably more prone to attacking you. The captain stays hopeful though. This really puts into place how SPECIAL the schools are that they've fought and killed **** this size all the time, and rather casually...which again makes one wonder how any sort of civilization exists outside the walls.

Blake springs into action and...man. Her shadow clone semblance power or whatever is really ****ty looking. I just don't like how it looks at all.

Other people have mentioned before but it's worth repeating. The fights are shot really badly in this season. There's a lot of jumping around when it comes to character placement so you're never entirely sure what's going on and where. It looks like the dragon was zooming off but it didn't actually go anywhere and even though Black was behind it she lands in front of it, and then somehow also lands on the top of the boat. It's badly shot and badly coreographed. The animation is really bad too.

Also, despite having Aura and thus being invincible, Blake gets knocked BACKWARDS by cannonballs exploding...behind her, and now her arm hurts. Somehow.

The dragon decides that just swimming is dumb and busts up it's shoulder blades to spoot out some western dragon wings. Because you can't JUST have an eastern dragon aesthetic you need to jam in classical western stuff onto it as well. The only interesting Grimm design in this entire series is the Possessor/Geist.

The dragon does a very poorly animated wind attack with it's wings and Blake's model slides back clunkily while she grunts. Yay animation. YOU HAVE A BUDGET NOW.

The dragon begins to charge some sort of breath weapon and Blake goes to jump at it...but Wukong STEPS ON HER HEAD TO BOUNCE TOWARDS THE DRAGON HIMSELF.

**** Sunwukong.

He reveals himself and...he's holding his stupid whatever weapon in his feet and posing and he claps his hands to spawn light clones to go fight the dragon. Okay, I get it, he's supposed to be Son Wukong, Son Goku, the monkey king and greatest martial artist in the world. Making him obnoxiously pose in mid air as if he's actually a monkey (ignore that he IS a monkey due to being a faunus...) with his weapon in his feet emulating a somewhat classic pose for the character DOES NOT make him good or interesting. It's dumb. HE HAS SHOES ON. I hate him.

...somehow despite falling back to the boat Wukong ended up on the head of the dragon and used his light clones to just make the lightning breath miss the boat. He says he's just "hanging out" as a joke as he holds onto the dragon's whiskers. It flies around trying to dislodge him.

Wukong gets electrocuted like a dumbass because he was standing on the dragon's head as it starts channeling it's lightning breath, and falls off. Blake sadly saves him from what wouldn't be his death because aura exists and he takes on an effemiate voice and goes "my hero~" and Blake yells at him. I hate Wukong.

Blake says he wasn't supposed to be here. Wukong says she needs help. That's not an answer for why you're here ****lord. Blake drops Wukong on a rock and tells him to shut up and fight. I don't like the fight scenes and this season has especially bad ones but I appreciate that Blake thinks he's an idiot.

...Wukong is in a "come hither" pose and says "yes ma'am" and proceeds to do nothing.

This series is at it's best when characters don't speak. Wukong does nothing BUT speak. Go away.

Also apparently Blake can just hover in the air now. Sadly, Wukong interfers again, using his shotgun nunchucks to knock away the lightning breath attack. Why didn't you do this before? Also go away.

The captain tells them that if they can clip it's wings and lead it to the bow of the ship they can kill it. Given all their basic cannons did jack and the heavy cannon missed when it had wings and it's no faster with wings than without I disagree. Wukong says it's up to Blake since she has swords.

The primary use of nun-chucks in actual combat is to cripple limbs. The primary use of shotguns in combat is to chunk things that are heavily armoured at close range, and to destroy fragile things that NEED destroying, to the degree that their use in WW1 almost became a war crime. Wukong HAS SHOTGUN NUNCHUCKS.

But no, let the girl with the flimsy ass dagger pistol cut off the dragon wings. Sure thing. ****in' idiot ass monkey.

Blake at least agrees with me.

............so then Wukong uses his light clones to do the "let's all throw Cloud at Neo Bahamut" thing from Advent Children, except when she gets to Wukong instead of being granted one final double jump from him...she...she somehow curves in mid air while flying up to him, curving around him, turning in mid air, so she can jump off of his head. This isn't how ANYTHING WORKS. EVEN IN RWBY!! Then Blake stops herself mid air and dashes forward (some...how. Could of put her shadow clones here to throw her) and she prepares to attack the dragon.

And...Blake slices a single cut into the membrane o the dragon's wing. Never mind that the wing is littered with holes and tears anyway and is FLYING SO FAST.

...Wukong stands underneath where Blake is falling and he gets a smirk on his face and THIS is where RT has an option. They can either A: have Blake land on him and hurt him and have it be funny and make me be happy or B: be stupid.

This is RT.

The ground cracks under Blake's weight as she lands in Wukong's arms back first even though she was facing down the entire fall and not spinning. "This is the part where YOU say it."

Blake sighs.

LaZodiac sighs.

Kill me now.

They lead the dragon around who is somehow incapacitated by a tiny tear in one wing membrane despite having several already, and the captain throws a switch. We see various wooden mechanical whatevers actvating, and two of them have labels. 2700N and RT. This feels like a reference to something?

Wukong doesn't get eaten. Somehow the dragon corners them against a rock in this rocky field of rock ocean that came out of nowhere when the dragon showed up and prepares to electrocute them. Then the ship rams into it and kills it with the heavy cannon, blowing up it's entire upper body in a really ****tily animated death scene.

Wukong is happy and puts up is hand or a high five. Blake s angry and slaps him in the face and for some reason it goes to slow mo but we don't get to see him actually get hit. Guess that'd be too violent for all the children that watch this show.

Somehow Wukong sounds MORE obnoxious than he used to. Also, of course, he likes her new outfit, which is terrible. Wukong has no taste. He comments on the bow and Blake slaps his hand away because WOW RUDE, MUCH?

Blake is upset at Wukong for stalking her. Wukong...doesn't deny that he was stalking her and says he totally knows what she left to do! She's gonna go on a one woman rampage against the White Fang!

**** this. **** THIS. GO AWAY. WHY IS YOU HERE?!

Blake gets to show that with the throwing away of Monty Oum's ****ty garbage program in exchange for a slightly better one, they can ACTUALLY DO EMOTIONS as she goes from "awe he understands" to "wAIT WHAT?!?! YOU STUPID **** ****!" in half a second and I love it. Points to RT, you captured my expression perfectly. Wukong insists that it makes perfect sense.

Wonder how Wukong will feel that the girl he loves is a former terrorist.

Wukong wonders why she's "trying to figure stuff out" without her team and Wukong brushes it of with "haha Neptune on the ocean". I don't care about this because the less characters we have to deal with the better and all of Wukong's team are ****ty useless boys who doesn't contribute anything.

"not the first time I left them to take a boat" would almost be funny. In any other series, with any other character, it'd be approachably funny. With the right build up it'd be actually funny.

But with this character, with this series, with this VOICE ACTOR, it's AWFUL. ****ing go away, you waste of ****.

Blake tells Wukong that she's going home to Zoo Town. Wukong wants to go with. I actually think it's interesting to consider Blake was born in Zoo Town given she's so...absolutely ****ing jaded about being an animal person despite being born in the capital of animal people.

Wukong says he has to come with because...the Grimm are getting worse. How? How do you know this? How would YOU know this? How would ANYONE know this? He does bring up the point that "The White Fang will be after YOU, even if you're not after them" and THAT is a legitimate point given one of their commanders has the world's largest hate boner for her.

...."besides I'm...already on the boat" is another example o my little diatribe above about how this line would work if it wasn't such a worthless **** stain of a character.

"It'll be a regular Journey to the East".

Let me put this in a seperate spoiler box.

Spoiler: The angirest Zodi
    Show
    NO

You don't SAY THIS!? YOU DO NOT SAY THIIIIIS?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

THIS IS LIKE RUBY GOING T GRANDMA'S HOOOOOOOUSE!?! ****ING STOOOOOOOP! REFERENCES ARE NOT JOKES!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ahem. Carrying on.

Thank ****ING CHRIST we're done with them for awhile. We cut back to Salemtopia with Cinderbinder and her eye and throat, which got stared at until they exploded.

....a genuinely creepy scene of Salem doing...SOMETHING to Cinder as she pants and croaks, trying to speak, a weird clicking animalistic sound as a Grimm metroid floats in. Salem tells her to make IT fear HER. It...doesn't do anything but okay. I'll roll with it. I'll accept anything after the last what feels like an eternity of my life spent in Wukong hell.

She asks Cinder to, clearly, answer if she KILLED Ozpin. She makes a pained exhale and gestures for Emerald, but Salem slams the table and goes "NO! I want to hear YOU say it" and I ACTUALLY REALLY LIKE THIS? Salem is trying to help Cinder get better the way an evil, ruthless person would. She's still helping her buddy, but she's doing it in a rough, cruel way. Cinder manages to weeze out a "yes"

Salem tells the metroid to reinforce their numbers at Beacon because "the relic" is definitely there. Interesting. So, what was Salem trying to tell Cinder to "get past" exactly? Did Ruby's looking at her real bad make the Grimm thing inside of Cinder get so scared that it ripped her eye and throat out and until Cinder dominates the beast inside her she won't get them back? That's neat but also stupid but I actually kinda like it. Bet you don't enjoy that empty hungry feeling anymore do yeah bitch.

I don't like them but I do appreciate Emerald and Mercury just being really ****ing scared of everything Salem does their entire time here. It helps sell just how serious a thing she is.

Salem ends the episode, saying "what are you planning?", presumably talking about Ozpin. Interesting. I like this ending.

So that's the episode. My thoughts:
    Show
    The Yang bit was good! It did things that I would "do differently" but I wouldn't call what they did bad, just weird to me on a personal level. The bit with Salem and Cinder at the end is good, because unlike Cinder as a villain who sucks, Salem as a villain is very clear about what she's really doing, I think? The mysterious person IS OZPIN, which makes for an interesting thing because the villain is sort of on the same level as the heroes, and the audience, so it's neat.

I. Despise. Sun Wukong. That's all that needs to be said.

18. - Top - End - #468
    Ettin in the Playground

La Zodiac posts a review and critique that is probably longer than the episode's script.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

19. - Top - End - #469

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Show
    That being said let's discuss the arm. I think this is too easy and too early. She should have to deal with not having an arm for awhile. Unless she has to GET USED to the arm, this is just return to the statue quo and I'm not a fan. Yang should have to deal with the "not having an arm" part of you know, not having an arm. Also the idea that you can just "Try it on" bothers me. This tech should require....you know, a doctor. To attach the nerves. Unless you're saying she can just move it with Aura, which is dumb and doesn't work with anything the series has said about Aura this entire series, which IS NOT A LOT mind you.
    Spoiler: V4E3
    Show

Personally, I think that making the automail arm so easy is great, as it shows that the arm isn't the issue (It's not), but why the arm needed to be replaced is (Though I'm a fan of fma, so I'm kind of biased for this analog). Yang was always this punch happy and happy punching person, who's only been in mortal danger once before, and got off scott free from it, and even help save the day in the end. This time, not only did she lose, not only were there consequences, but the only fight was basically something out of a nightmare. At least she could try and fight Neo. Against Adam, she was completely powerless. With one blow, her entire world was destroyed. Her arm, her attitude, her ego, everything.

Having two arms would be her saying she's ready to do it all over again. That the fight no longer has consequences. That she moved on. Eventually, when she needs to fight again, she'll use it, the lack of color coordination making it obvious that she'll never be the same again, but at least she' ready to go at it once more
    I'M NOT CRAZY!!

I just find sanity a rather dull affair

20. - Top - End - #470

Quote Originally Posted by A Tad Insane View Post
    Spoiler: V4E3
    Show

Personally, I think that making the automail arm so easy is great, as it shows that the arm isn't the issue (It's not), but why the arm needed to be replaced is (Though I'm a fan of fma, so I'm kind of biased for this analog). Yang was always this punch happy and happy punching person, who's only been in mortal danger once before, and got off scott free from it, and even help save the day in the end. This time, not only did she lose, not only were there consequences, but the only fight was basically something out of a nightmare. At least she could try and fight Neo. Against Adam, she was completely powerless. With one blow, her entire world was destroyed. Her arm, her attitude, her ego, everything.
    Two arms would be her saying she's ready to do it all over again. That the fight no longer has consequences. That she moved on. Eventually, when she needs to fight again, she'll use it, the lack of color coordination making it obvious that she'll never be the same again, but at least she' ready to go at it once more
    Spoiler: V4C3
    Show
    Yeah, I get that, I just feel putting the arm RIGHT there for when she wants it is a bit to easy. We know she's going to get better eventually. What I want to see is Yang getting better, "without the arm" and beating on people with a disadvantage. And then she decides it's ready to bring out the big guns. I feel it would work a little better. But I do like it.

Also hell yeah FMA. Yang really needs a Winry to show up to actually attach the damn thing to her nerves.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: RWBY S4 C2 C3
    Show

C2: Well, isn't Weiss’ family nice?
    Compared to this Winter was warm hearted.
    At least she seems to have a friend in Klein.

Team RNRJ... Well I guess in a way Pyrrha still trains Jaune
    But the village... it seems our heroes arrived exactly at the right time. Soon enough to find the last survivor, but late enough to avoid the trouble. For now.
    I hope that mark on the ground is someone’s symbol and not a hoofprint. Either way it seems significant.
    Her little brother had weird legs. They looked to long for him.

E3: Poor Blake got a travelling companion. Fortunately she got a Grimm attack to lighten the mood. Certainly it won't be the last.
    It was interesting to see what additional to hunters people take when travelling. I guess usually they are enough.
    I'm really looking forward to the adventures of Blake and Sun. He will drive her insane.

Yang’s new arm looks great. Unfortunately she will need some more healing before it is of any use to her.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

22. - Top - End - #472
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: RWBY V4C3
    Show

I actually like that she threw the bow away. Why hide, Blake? Be brave, show people who you are.

......Ok I admit a problem with the series: there is supposedly reason enough for Faunus to form a violent rebellion, yet there are things like a faunus anchorman on the news with his horns, as well as many other Faunus in good positions scattered throughout, so whats the real why there is the White Fang?

oh........Yang.......just..............Yang.....

looks like Blake's paranoia is justified and a leviathan Grimm appearing, yeah, REAL boring.

oh its Sun. well we need some of foil for Blake's.....blakishness. oh, they're going to Menagerie, the Faunus continent/island thing. that explains getting rid of the bow. not that it hid much.

and Salem is REALLY creepy. what even IS she?
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

23. - Top - End - #473
    Ettin in the Playground

Maybe one day Roosterteeth's site will work for me. For now, RWBY.

RWBY Volume 3 Chapter 3: Runaways and Stowaways
    Hey Zodiac!

Show
    I'm not going to give as long of a response as LaZodiac did...mostly because I'm on a phone and typing on it infuriates me to no end. So gonna do some bullet point style stuff to address things that got my attention.

-The Grimm Serpent/Eastern Dragon battle is a mixed bag for me on a couple different points. I like the original design of the creature and think it looks cool..but its' wings...don't fit it? Not just the 'eastern dragons with western wings' bit, they feel too small for the serpent and the actual look of them feels weird. I'll be honest, I'm pretty sure they're just there to act as an exploitable weakness to bring the beast down. At first I figured it needed the wings to actually fly, which made sense...but within this season alone we are becoming more and more aware of the fact that Grimm exist with special powers that biology could not possibly explain aka the Geist, the Seer, and the Serpent itself. So they could just not have the wings and still have the same end of the fight, we'd just miss out on the, admittedly, fun Toss-Blake sequence. Aside from the dragon's design, the battle itself...wasn't a big fan of it but I can't place my finger on why..I think its cause the stuff I did like in the fight (inventive finish, Blake/Sun's interactions, cool Grimm) combined with the bad (the wings, the actual death of the serpent didn't look good, choppy fight sequences at the beginning) just kind of made it an awkward roller coaster of ups and downs.

-Blake landing on Sun's head makes a bit of sense. Blake wasn't going straight up but at an angle. So she didn't flip over Sun for no reason but choose to hit the peak of her jump above him and fall/land on Sun for the final push off.

-Wow...really did Blake's expressions..and the expressions in general this season, the characters just feel a lot more emotive...especially Blake and Sun thanks to their Faunus bits.

-I don't share Lazodiac's...uhm...complete and utter hatred of Sun, but I will say he came off as pretty irritating in the fight...even if he did make me chuckle. His deduction about Blake makes sense...for all that Sun knows of Blake and what happened at Beacon, but it still is a bit cringy to hear him explain it when you do have the full context because...well...he thinks she's being heroic and foolhardy by going on a rampage when we (the audience) know she's running away for a lot of very valid reasons so it just feels uncomfortable until she explains herself...kinda. Look at it this way Lazodiac, Adam is still hunting everything Blake loves down to MDK them and Blake is rather obviously fond of Sun. Maybe Adam will do you a solid and waste Wukong for you?

-Okay, so the CCTV is down and we know the consequences of that...but they explained why Scroll communication is still a thing...at least within the same kingdom, by way of a failsafe incase the worst happens. Makes sense, but Yang changes the channel before we hear about the hitch-up with Atlas technicians fixing or building a new tower. Why Yang, why?

-I know you already said that it wasn't bad just not the way you would have done it, but their way of showing Yang's PTSD feels more true to life with my experiences with it. One of my best friends suffers from PTSD and I've been around for a couple of his 'episodes' plus talking to him about other people he knows with PTSD and Yang's version of it seems more...common? For the record, he more often gets triggered in the way you would have done it. Basically just pointing out both versions are valid examples of the problem.

-The arm. I'm with the other poster in that they revealed the arm so early because they don't want people wondering if Yang will get an arm but rather on her problems with losing the arm in the first place. I feel its the righy call. But...I don't think she's going to accept the arm at least not right away. It might not have been official art, but I remember seeing a tweet with a tease of Yang's post depression outfit and...she still doesn't have an arm. Instead she had a metallic cap over her stump, so...she might just embrace being one-handed.

-The whole Salem scene, I loved it. Really digging Salem's characterization of reasonable and caring about her subordinates but willing to bust out the Evil Tough Love to make things go her way. That said, I do believe Salem was either addressing Cinder about the power-draining parasite inside of her....or Salem's 'treatment' involved putting another Grim inside of her to repair Cinder. Both are disturbing thoughts cause I'm with Zodiac..I think the Grimm inside her tried to escape when Ruby awoke and THAT'S what caused all the damage to Cinder and from the sounds it was making...it is still clearly unhappy and Cinder's in pain when its unhappy.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Spoiler: RWBY V4C3
    Show
    ......Ok I admit a problem with the series: there is supposedly reason enough for Faunus to form a violent rebellion, yet there are things like a faunus anchorman on the news with his horns, as well as many other Faunus in good positions scattered throughout, so whats the real why there is the White Fang?
    Spoiler: S04V03
    Show
    The response I'd like to write would be against this forum's 'no RL politics' rule. So I'll leave it at this: The fact that a lucky few Faunus have managed to become actors/anchors/politicians/etc really doesn't mean much. Such exceptions barely make a ripple in the pool of widespread societal racism.

25. - Top - End - #475
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anyr View Post
    Spoiler: S04V03
    Show
    The response I'd like to write would be against this forum's 'no RL politics' rule. So I'll leave it at this: The fact that a lucky few Faunus have managed to become actors/anchors/politicians/etc really doesn't mean much. Such exceptions barely make a ripple in the pool of widespread societal racism.
    Spoiler: S4C3
    Show
    Well I know, but they don't say thats the case. Whats the conditions of the ones on the ground, we have no common example to compare these to. So far we have:

That Anchor Guy (Lucky)
    The Puma Guy Who Ran a Store (Not Sure if Lucky or Unlucky, like does being killed by the villains count as societal luck?)
    Blake (Former Terrorist)
    White Fang (Terrorists)
    Velvet (Seems Pretty Lucky If She Is a Huntress, but then again, maybe unlucky given the bullying?)
    Sun (Do we even want to consider him as a serious example of anything?)
    Faunus Blacksmith Who Remade Jaune's Armor (Not Sure)

like, were are the examples of racism? all we see are the White Fang responding to it but what are they responding to? I didn't mean to say that it didn't exist, just that there seems to be a detail void of what exactly the form this racism takes to make one believe its there on a societal level. all we have all the lucky few or the people who are so unlucky they became actively rebelling against the system yet no motivation given what caused that to happen. wheres the big middle of oppressed faunus that aren't the lucky few who made or the fighting rebels? all we have is been told that its there, not shown.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

26. - Top - End - #476

Hey Zodiac!

Show

-Blake landing on Sun's head makes a bit of sense. Blake wasn't going straight up but at an angle. So she didn't flip over Sun for no reason but choose to hit the peak of her jump above him and fall/land on Sun for the final push off.

-Maybe Adam will do you a solid and waste Wukong for you?

-Okay, so the CCTV is down and we know the consequences of that...but they explained why Scroll communication is still a thing...at least within the same kingdom, by way of a failsafe incase the worst happens. Makes sense, but Yang changes the channel before we hear about the hitch-up with Atlas technicians fixing or building a new tower. Why Yang, why?

-For the record, he more often gets triggered in the way you would have done it. Basically just pointing out both versions are valid examples of the problem.

-The whole Salem scene, I loved it. Really digging Salem's characterization of reasonable and caring about her subordinates but willing to bust out the Evil Tough Love to make things go her way. That said, I do believe Salem was either addressing Cinder about the power-draining parasite inside of her....or Salem's 'treatment' involved putting another Grim inside of her to repair Cinder. Both are disturbing thoughts cause I'm with Zodiac..I think the Grimm inside her tried to escape when Ruby awoke and THAT'S what caused all the damage to Cinder and from the sounds it was making...it is still clearly unhappy and Cinder's in pain when its unhappy.
    Show

They really needed to fix the angle of the shot then it looks terrible.

Please. The only thing Adam could do to help me is to kill Wukong and then himself. I hate Adam almost as much as Wukong but at least we're supposed to hate him.

Yang's not interested in interesting world building stuff. Speaking of...I wish the World of Remnant video was changed so that it wasn't "oh if one tower falls all communication is gone forever" because...as we see, that's not the case at all.

Thanks. I really like how they handled the scene, I just feel there are other ways to do it that are better.

Either option makes Cinder look quite evil but still good to her followers. It's horrifying because it shows that Cinder, for all her annoying bluster, didn't know what she was getting into and while she did like it, she had no idea what the actual problems would be. It actually serves to humanize her a little. She's still kind of a bad character, but ironically making her a half blind mute who just gets yelled at all day has made her a far greater character than she ever was.

27. - Top - End - #477
    Ettin in the Playground

Show

Either option makes Cinder look quite evil but still good to her followers. It's horrifying because it shows that Cinder, for all her annoying bluster, didn't know what she was getting into and while she did like it, she had no idea what the actual problems would be. It actually serves to humanize her a little. She's still kind of a bad character, but ironically making her a half blind mute who just gets yelled at all day has made her a far greater character than she ever was.
    Show
    I'm guessing you meant Salem by that first instance of 'Cinder'? Otherwise I am confuzzled.

That said, Cinder's new characterization stuff makes me excited. Does she attempt to become a better person after getting blindsided like she did or does she double down on evil with the rationale that SHE doesn't deserve this and it's all Ruby's fault.

The more interesting thing to me is that, by now, it really does seem like Salem is the sort to tell her followers everything they night need to know to complete their missions...but never told Cinder that being a Maiden would give her a glaring weakness (unless she did and that was the source of the big 'What?!' in V3C12). You could say its because Salem thought Cinder wouldn't encounter any silver-eyed warriors but the conversation at the beginnijg of the volume tells a different story. Has WTCH been purging silver-eyed warriors when they found them in the past and didn't think any were left? And if so...was one of them the reason that Summer Rose, a Silver-Eyed Warrior herself by all accounts, died during what sounds like an otherwise ordinary mission? I'm betting that not only was one of them responsible but it was Tyrian who will likely recognize Ruby as looking like her mother.

...if such is the case, boy howdy would it be swell to see Taiyang wreck Tyrian's existence for what he did to their family!

28. - Top - End - #478
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: S4 E3
    Show
    Well I didn't particularly like this episode.

My complaints:

I still don't like the Yang PTSD subplot. Yeah, it's a traumatic injury. Yeah, they are handling it realistically enough. But my problem with it really comes down to; if this is all it took to break you, then you're in the wrong line of work.

But hey, maybe they'll play with that.

Blake is alright, and I like her paranoia. I don't mind Sun either, and the 'besides, I'm already on the boat' thing made me laugh.

The sea dragon fight was awful though. The whole time it looked and felt like the Grim was deliberately missing the boat. And the throwing yourself via other people (or clones) just looks stupid. It was stupid when Advent Children did it, it's stupid now. And the boat ramming it to finish it off was awful. So 0/10 for that fight.

And that was most of the episode. There was some villain stuff that was interesting and properly mysterious, but that was like 30 seconds. Everything else was either minor, annoying, or I simply dislike for reasons.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

29. - Top - End - #479

Show
    Well I didn't particularly like this episode.

My complaints:

I still don't like the Yang PTSD subplot. Yeah, it's a traumatic injury. Yeah, they are handling it realistically enough. But my problem with it really comes down to; if this is all it took to break you, then you're in the wrong line of work.

Blake is alright, and I like her paranoia. I don't mind Sun either, and the 'besides, I'm already on the boat' thing made me laugh.

The sea dragon fight was awful though. The whole time it looked and felt like the Grim was deliberately missing the boat. And the throwing yourself via other people (or clones) just looks stupid. It was stupid when Advent Children did it, it's stupid now. And the boat ramming it to finish it off was awful. So 0/10 for that fight.

And that was most of the episode. There was some villain stuff that was interesting and properly mysterious, but that was like 30 seconds. Everything else was either minor, annoying, or I simply dislike for reasons.
    Show

It depends on how they play it, I feel. It's not that this is "all it took to break her" it's that the entire world has coddled her so much, even with her Mom vanishing out of nowhere and Ruby's mom dying, that getting such a sudden and violent reminder that she is not invincible is taking her down. It's not just losing an arm, it's arguably losing her entire identity. She takes damage and then hits you with it, and she wins because RWBY always wins because they're broken and awful. But then they run into someone who hits her, and she doesn't get to hit back. In a better series it'd be a fascinating look into how her character works and grows. I hope that they're able to make it work.

30. - Top - End - #480
    Ettin in the Playground

Show

Spoiler: v4e3
    Show
    I feel you're judging by a very, very high standard of what it should take to traumatize someone. Losing an arm could do it. Seeing your home overrun by monsters could do it. What were you looking for that you didn't get?