New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 50 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Age of Sigmar: Points and Handbooks

I'm currently at Firestorm Games in Cardiff, playing in a bunch of linked games in which perhaps 15000pts of various things are duking it out to support a 4000pt game played by Chris Thursten and Tom Senior from the Miniatures Monthly podcast. My part was to cut off a wave of Sylvaneth reinforcements by holding a realmgate against some Stormcast. I did this very well - a Danse Macabre charge from five Black Knights took out ten Sequitors, and my dragon bit a Dracoline in half. I took the Orb of Enchantment on my VLoZD for just such occasions as when he was charged by the Lord-Arcanum - shutting him down for a turn allowed me to pick other battles first, allowing my Blood Knights to wipe out some Evocators.

2. - Top - End - #752
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The long holiday season is over, and now it's back to Warhammer time 6 events between now and April, need to knock off the rust before Adepticon rolls around at the end of March.

Gonna be sticking with my Anvilstrike Stormcast - I think it fits my playstyle best, and has the tools to deal with most of the meta out there. Still some hard matchups, but I like the more reactive playstyle it brings. First in the gauntlet is this Saturday, and a multi GT winner is coming to give me some good quarry to hunt.

Long term 2019, the hope is to finish painting all of my Stormcast early this year, and then sometime in Q3 start a brand new army. Kind of feeling a mounted Slaves to Darkness army - Knights, Marauder Horsement, Chariots, and Manticores seem really great, maybe with some allies like Skyfires for a bit of range. I have my Stormcast and play them competitively, so my next army or two will likely just be themed and focus on hobby.

3. - Top - End - #753
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Hello all newbie to AoS here but looking to start my first AoS army coming from 40k. Many of the 40k players in my group have expressed interest and are mostly getting started making our first AoS armies. I have picked up the free rules and GHB 2018.

So far we have a Khorne player 2 STD players, 1 Sigmar Player, 1 Beastclaw, and 1 Sylvaneth player. I am looking mostly at either Idoneth, Daughters, or Gloomspite for something different any ideas of how these armies perform competitively I've been reading reviews and I'm guessing Daughters is the most competitive but I really like the models from all three and don't really want to start 3 armies at once.

So I in general like fast melee armies I enjoy playing in all phases so an army that completely doesn't shoot cast or melee well is pretty much out. Any advice on which of the three I should pick?

4. - Top - End - #754
    Titan in the Playground

Idoneth have passable-to-great magic and great shooting and close combat, so I would definitely suggest them (though I couldn't say much about gloomspite yet). Daughters Of Khaine are definitely the power choice, but a friend who is more knowledgable than me says Idoneth are pretty good as well.

(Another advantage is the potential to save money on them from the Battleforce and the upcoming Start Collecting box.)

5. - Top - End - #755
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Speaking of Daughters, would this list make me a bad person?

Primetime and Groupies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Celestant-Prime
    Knight-Incantor (warlord)
    Lord-Ordinator

Liberators
    Liberators
    Judicators

Sequitors
    4x Celestar Ballista

5x5 Heartrender Khinare (the winged Javelin ones)

Celestial Comet

The idea would be to have the Knight and infantry start on the board, then have everything else drop in. I will average slightly more than 1 dead Nagash or about 1 dead buffed stardrake. On the other hand, against people who want to blob, Primetime and the Comet give lots of AOE mortal wounds.

6. - Top - End - #756
    Ogre in the Playground

10 more hexwaiths to go till I'm done with my Nighthaunt army...

then I start being tempted by Slaves to Darkness.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

7. - Top - End - #757
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nokrud View Post
    Hello all newbie to AoS here but looking to start my first AoS army coming from 40k. Many of the 40k players in my group have expressed interest and are mostly getting started making our first AoS armies. I have picked up the free rules and GHB 2018.

So far we have a Khorne player 2 STD players, 1 Sigmar Player, 1 Beastclaw, and 1 Sylvaneth player. I am looking mostly at either Idoneth, Daughters, or Gloomspite for something different any ideas of how these armies perform competitively I've been reading reviews and I'm guessing Daughters is the most competitive but I really like the models from all three and don't really want to start 3 armies at once.

So I in general like fast melee armies I enjoy playing in all phases so an army that completely doesn't shoot cast or melee well is pretty much out. Any advice on which of the three I should pick?
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Idoneth have passable-to-great magic and great shooting and close combat, so I would definitely suggest them (though I couldn't say much about gloomspite yet). Daughters Of Khaine are definitely the power choice, but a friend who is more knowledgable than me says Idoneth are pretty good as well.

(Another advantage is the potential to save money on them from the Battleforce and the upcoming Start Collecting box.)
    Agreed with LeSwordfish - of those, Deepkin can be good fast melee but also bring things for other phases, they're fairly well rounded and strong. Great models, too, and variable builds depending on how you want to play.

Daughters are fast melee and have reasonable Wizards/Priests, but don't have much (any?) shooting. Note they are possibly the most expensive army of the ones you listed, since Daughters want to be in big bricks of models but 10 models is $60, so a couple big units will drain your cash fast.

Gitz are still forming since they just came out. I think they're going to be quite strong, but time will tell. Lots of different models to pick from which is nice, so if you like variety they have a lot more than most others. Probably one of the best armies in the game for pure flavor, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaktan View Post
    Speaking of Daughters, would this list make me a bad person?

Primetime and Groupies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Celestant-Prime
    Knight-Incantor (warlord)
    Lord-Ordinator

Liberators
    Liberators
    Judicators

Sequitors
    4x Celestar Ballista

5x5 Heartrender Khinare (the winged Javelin ones)

Celestial Comet

The idea would be to have the Knight and infantry start on the board, then have everything else drop in. I will average slightly more than 1 dead Nagash or about 1 dead buffed stardrake. On the other hand, against people who want to blob, Primetime and the Comet give lots of AOE mortal wounds.
    Remember allies are only 1 unit for each 3 units in your actual army, so you could take 3 units and would have to consolidate some of the Heartrender units.

I personally don't like bringing a Comet with only 1 Wizard, since if your Incantor gets punked before it goes off then it's 100 points of nothing. Still, if you take Staff of Focus and drop it on multiple units, you can do a serious amount of damage with one cast (which can be outside of dispel range as well).

Otherwise it's fairly interesting since you could get as close to null deploy as possible without running something like Skyborne Slayers. Starting 5 units on the table and 9 off is pretty great. I don't think it's too filthy, since it doesn't hit very big outside the Ballistas and Prime, and both can be countered via positioning and mission play. It'll give your opponent fits waiting for your stuff to get in though, which is a joy in and of itself Super tactical, I think it'll be really fun for both you and your opponent to play, at least more fun than other SCE lists.

8. - Top - End - #758
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Ooooh, I forgot about 1 ally per 3 regular units. Not a big deal though, since I did all the mathhammer without considering the leader bonuses for the daughters units. I should go check that actually.

I do like the tactical side of bringing units in where they are needed.

We had a tournament at our store recently, with my stormcasts doing quite well. There was one guy who was running a stardrake plus lightning striking in a squad of 4 fulminators backed by gaveril sureheart who gave them + charge distance for a pretty guarenteed charge. He rolled everyone.

I managed to beat nagash by basically ignoring him and taking objectives (including burning out the one he was standing on with 3 prosecutors, since 3 > 1)

And there was yet another stormcast player who was going with a vanguard theme with the power coming from double-shooting raptors. I beat him due to him wiffing his Celestant-Prime's meele attacks to kill the last of my judicators on an objective. It was close and an interesting experience since we were both bringing guys in on top of the other guy's home base.

9. - Top - End - #759
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Ooooh, I forgot about 1 ally per 3 regular units. Not a big deal though, since I did all the mathhammer without considering the leader bonuses for the daughters units. I should go check that actually.

I do like the tactical side of bringing units in where they are needed.

We had a tournament at our store recently, with my stormcasts doing quite well. There was one guy who was running a stardrake plus lightning striking in a squad of 4 fulminators backed by gaveril sureheart who gave them + charge distance for a pretty guarenteed charge. He rolled everyone.

I managed to beat nagash by basically ignoring him and taking objectives (including burning out the one he was standing on with 3 prosecutors, since 3 > 1)

And there was yet another stormcast player who was going with a vanguard theme with the power coming from double-shooting raptors. I beat him due to him wiffing his Celestant-Prime's meele attacks to kill the last of my judicators on an objective. It was close and an interesting experience since we were both bringing guys in on top of the other guy's home base.
    Lots of Stormcast at your store! Very interesting to see how differently everyone plays, I'm surprised that the Stardrake + Gav list didn't get smashed by Nagash, unless they didn't face off. Insta-charging with Fulminators is nothing special if you can't get through 70-90+ bodies on that charge.
    Last edited by Requizen; 2019-01-18 at 10:04 AM.

10. - Top - End - #760
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

The other two stormcast players were from the next town over who came in for the tournament. I forget if the winner faced Nagash, but the nagash player did not have much screen--he only had 3 squads of skellies, one of which was only 10 guys, and one of the big ones was hiding in a graveyard at the start. In addition to Nagash he had the big waling engine thing (I forget the name, it has a 1/game mortal wound aura) and some other big stuff.

11. - Top - End - #761
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The other two stormcast players were from the next town over who came in for the tournament. I forget if the winner faced Nagash, but the nagash player did not have much screen--he only had 3 squads of skellies, one of which was only 10 guys, and one of the big ones was hiding in a graveyard at the start. In addition to Nagash he had the big waling engine thing (I forget the name, it has a 1/game mortal wound aura) and some other big stuff.
    Oh, I've seen similar builds, using the Mortis Engine to boost casting and what not. Seems a bit redundant considering how easy it is to cast spells with Nagash, but it's an option. I've seen the Engine a lot alongside Arkhan, who also has casting buffs but doesn't cast nearly as many spells so you really want the boost, I think that build's pretty solid (I think there's a Battalion too).

12. - Top - End - #762
    Titan in the Playground

Good game against Duardin today: shooting is sufficiently rare in AOS to be quite an unpleasant surprise when it actually happens. The game was Three Places Of Power which was an interesting challenge for both of us: him because his characters were so slow, me because mine really wanted to be off biting necks and taking names instead of hanging around on objectives. I won 3-2 in the end after my heroes died to double-tapping Irondrakes and long-range cannons, and his drowned under a tide of skeleton cavalry.

13. - Top - End - #763
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Good game against Duardin today: shooting is sufficiently rare in AOS to be quite an unpleasant surprise when it actually happens. The game was Three Places Of Power which was an interesting challenge for both of us: him because his characters were so slow, me because mine really wanted to be off biting necks and taking names instead of hanging around on objectives. I won 3-2 in the end after my heroes died to double-tapping Irondrakes and long-range cannons, and his drowned under a tide of skeleton cavalry.
    What are you running? Interesting to see cavalry perform well, mine are always a bit iffy.

It's such an interesting mission in some matchups. It's also a mission that can get severely screwed in certain matchups.

14. - Top - End - #764
    Titan in the Playground

What I took yesterday was:
    VLOZD
    Vampire Lord (Nightmare)
    Necromancer
    5x Blood Knights
    5x Black Knights
    5x Black Knights
    10x Dire Wolves
    30x Skeletons
    30x Skeletons
    Mortis Engine
    Suffocating Gravetide
    Soulsnare Shackles

The list almost entirely relies on a big charge, but with judicious placements of gravesites, I can usually throw a Summonable shield in between my cavalry and their front line, and then when that gets charged/shot, resurrect it as a backup line. I've never got much out of any endless spells - these two were taken to fill points, since spamming the "ressurect whole unit" button usually makes opponents sad.

15. - Top - End - #765
    Ogre in the Playground

doing a spot check on a list for a tourney Saturday.

Nighthaunt

• Dreadblade harrow: Warlord: Ruler of the Spirit Hosts, Dreadbolt ring
    • Lord Executioner: Sword of Judgment
    • Spirit Torment
    • Guardian of Souls: Lore: Lifestealer
    • 10x Hexwraiths
    • 10x Hexwraiths
    • 3x Spirit Hosts
    • 3x Spirit Hosts
    • 3x Spirit Hosts
    • Black Coach: Midnight Tome: Lore: Spirit Tether
    • Aethervoid Pendulem
    • Deathriders
    • Executioner Hoard

1990 points

16. - Top - End - #766
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 9mm View Post
    doing a spot check on a list for a tourney Saturday.

Nighthaunt

• Dreadblade harrow: Warlord: Ruler of the Spirit Hosts, Dreadbolt ring
    • Lord Executioner: Sword of Judgment
    • Spirit Torment
    • Guardian of Souls: Lore: Lifestealer
    • 10x Hexwraiths
    • 10x Hexwraiths
    • 3x Spirit Hosts
    • 3x Spirit Hosts
    • 3x Spirit Hosts
    • Black Coach: Midnight Tome: Lore: Spirit Tether
    • Aethervoid Pendulem
    • Deathriders
    • Executioner Hoard

1990 points
    Very interesting! Super elite, which means the Nighthaunt weakness to MWs is even more pronounced, but the power is clearly there. Looks like you can take 1 more Artifact since you have 2 Battalions, so snag one more! 4 drops min will beat a lot of armies, but of course there are still 1-2 drop forces out there. There are a lot fewer, of course, so I'd imagine you'll only get beaten on drops only once in a while.

I'm not sure about Dreadbolt Ring, I more lean towards defensive tools on my Warlord, perhaps Shrieking Blade for a bit better melee defense? Still, not bad of course, and the rest seems pretty solid. I'd be super interested to see how this performs, it might have trouble taking objectives thanks to the lower model count, but the speed and healing/returning is nothing to laugh at.

17. - Top - End - #767
    Halfling in the Playground

Goblin

Always wanted to get into AoS, but never really got around to it. Think I might finally have too now that the Gloomspite came out, anybody had a chance to play against them yet? I know they have a lot of battleline options, at least with the different HQs, but if I was looking to start would a box of Moonclan Stabbas/Shootas be a good place, or does one of the other options really outshine them?

18. - Top - End - #768
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Robot Goat View Post
    Always wanted to get into AoS, but never really got around to it. Think I might finally have too now that the Gloomspite came out, anybody had a chance to play against them yet? I know they have a lot of battleline options, at least with the different HQs, but if I was looking to start would a box of Moonclan Stabbas/Shootas be a good place, or does one of the other options really outshine them?
    Sorry for the slow response, was at a tournament all weekend! I've only got a game or two in against Gloomspite, but against a couple different lists.

Stabbas are great. You can buff them up to actually do pretty decent damage and they're a big blob that slows things down for a reasonable price. With the Loonshrine to bring some back later in the game, they're really dependable if you bring a full sized unit.

Shootas are a bit less inspiring. Having a shooting unit is good, of course, chipping a wound or two there is always useful, but they're not going to impress by wiping an entire unit or anything like that. More like a backfield/midfield holder that chips while your Stabbas take the frontline.

Squig Herd become Battlelines if your General is Moonclan, which is most of the foot Gobbos. They're funny and can potentially bust out some solid damage, I don't have a whole lot of experience against them though. They're pretty good as a sacrificial unit since they hurt when they run away, so you can chuck a blob at a big scary unit and hope to do some damage.

You can take Squig Hoppers as Battleline if your General is mounted on a Squig. Bounderz are the better Squig Cavalry, but Hoppers are cheap, fast, and annoying, so 3 units of 5-10 backed up by the Boingrot Bounderz and some Manglers for more punch is a really really good all Squig army from my predictions.

Spider Riders become Battleline if you take a Spiderfang general. They're... ok. If you buff a unit up and bring enough, they can chunk out MWs, they're fast, but they're not super impressive. I think Spiderfang focused armies are really more built around the big Spiders and the smaller Scuttleboss (Grot on medium-sized Spider), with the Riders more just being support and flankers/objective takers.

Fellwater and Rockgut Troggoths are Battleline in if your General is a Dankhold Troggboss. Both are very very solid - Fellwater putting out weight of dice and having a pretty good shooting attack, the Rockguts having a crazy Damage 3 attack and shrugging all wounds on a 5+. You can easily run a super elite, low model count army this way, but you'll probably lack bodies to take objectives.

There really are a lot of ways to play Gloomspite. But imo, even if you do go for one of the subfaction Battlelines, you probably want a big unit or two of Stabbas/Shootas just for holidng objectives and using the Loonshrine resurrection. None really stand out as way better than the others, though for my money I'd say the Troggoth Battlelines are some of the strongest, but it really limits build options since you have to go with the Troggboss and it gets expensive really fast.

What kind of build were you thinking? I can help look at lists with you!

19. - Top - End - #769
    Banned

So, we got a demo for Age of Sigmar coming up, since we are now a Stockist store and that means keeping AoS on the shelves and we need to get people playing it :).

For the event, we thought we'd take people who already play and have them mentor someone who wants to learn. So for that each 'mentor' will be making a 500 points army for their 'pupil' to play with against other pupils; we'll post photos of the models online to gather interest and hopefully we'll get some people wanting to play.

With that being said, since I know very little of AoS, what would be good 500 points lists for:
    - Legions of Nagash / Deathrattle
    - Ironjawz
    - Flesheater Courts
    - Seraphon
    - Stormcast Eternals (we got A TON of push-fit Judicators, but Im guessing they can proxy as anything else, no?).

20. - Top - End - #770
    Ettin in the Playground

So, I'm starting to get into Age of Sigmar..... is it just me or does all the 'realm' stuff and special terrain seem like something that's cool but never gets used? Like, for example, the Sigmarite Tomb/Catacomb. Placing it counts as a DIRECT BUFF to a Legions of Nagash army. Why would an opponent consent to such?

Playing in a realm seems to overwhelmingly benefit magic heavy armies over those who don't use as much magic.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

21. - Top - End - #771
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by druid91 View Post
    So, I'm starting to get into Age of Sigmar..... is it just me or does all the 'realm' stuff and special terrain seem like something that's cool but never gets used? Like, for example, the Sigmarite Tomb/Catacomb. Placing it counts as a DIRECT BUFF to a Legions of Nagash army. Why would an opponent consent to such?

Playing in a realm seems to overwhelmingly benefit magic heavy armies over those who don't use as much magic.
    basic realm rules do get used pretty often, heck the second round of the tourney I went to had the take mortals on 10"+ charges rule in effect (battle report coming soon). For Scenery though, most stick with the D6 effect and leave it at.

The magic rules are... interesting. They do reward having more magic, but one of the main reasons I switched of Legion of Sacrement was how often I'd run out of spells to cast with 4 wizards when I didn't have access to realm spells.

22. - Top - End - #772
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LansXero View Post
    So, we got a demo for Age of Sigmar coming up, since we are now a Stockist store and that means keeping AoS on the shelves and we need to get people playing it :).

For the event, we thought we'd take people who already play and have them mentor someone who wants to learn. So for that each 'mentor' will be making a 500 points army for their 'pupil' to play with against other pupils; we'll post photos of the models online to gather interest and hopefully we'll get some people wanting to play.

With that being said, since I know very little of AoS, what would be good 500 points lists for:
    - Legions of Nagash / Deathrattle
    - Ironjawz
    - Flesheater Courts
    - Seraphon
    - Stormcast Eternals (we got A TON of push-fit Judicators, but Im guessing they can proxy as anything else, no?).
    500 is a really strange point level. I would recommend only 1 Battleline required as 2 really limits what you can bring other outside the base. Basically everything will be 1-2 foot heroes and 2-4 cheap units or 1-2 cheap units and an elite unit. I would highly encourage nobody to try and squeeze a monster in there, can really imbalance things. I would try to push to increase army sizes quickly, as 500 is not super interesting for very long once you understand the rules.

I'm not super familiar with how they play at low levels, but here's some ideas:

Legions/Deathrattle: Necromancer, Wight King on Foot, 20 Skeletons, 5 Grave Guard = 470 (Difficult to fit two Heroes in this list, can drop one Hero to put in a Black Knight unit if they want)
    Ironjawz: Megaboss, 10 Ardboyz, 5 Brutes = 480 (pretty expensive overall, could instead change Megaboss for 2 Warchanters)
    Flesheater Courts: Abhorrent Ghoul King, Crypt Ghast Courtier, 10 Ghouls, 3 Horrors = 480 (Actually seems pretty good, though returning Ghouls might be a bit scary for new opponents)
    Seraphon: Skink Starpriest, Saurus Oldblood, 10 Skinks, 10 Saurus Warriors, 3 Ripperdactyls = 500 (Seraphon is a bit hard since many of their good units are big Monsters or Finecast. Still, this should be solid)
    Stormcast Eternals: Lord-Castellant, 5 Liberators, 5 Protectors, 3 Castigators = 480 (Shied away from too much shooting or MW output, since it can be overwhelming for new players)

Hope those help! Just some quick ones, feel free to adjust to suit collections or balance.

basic realm rules do get used pretty often, heck the second round of the tourney I went to had the take mortals on 10"+ charges rule in effect (battle report coming soon). For Scenery though, most stick with the D6 effect and leave it at.

The magic rules are... interesting. They do reward having more magic, but one of the main reasons I switched of Legion of Sacrement was how often I'd run out of spells to cast with 4 wizards when I didn't have access to realm spells.
    100% on the terrain. Even if you have the right terrain piece, most people ignore the rules since they're so imbalanced and annoying to remember. The only exception is Wildwoods, which basically everyone uses because it's very straightforward (blocks line of sight). Everything else just roll mysterious terrain, that table has been fairly well balanced in AoS2.

In the states at least, Realms are basically always used, Realmscapes and Magic are very commonplace. I personally have mixed feelings about the way they have been implemented and balanced, but that's not really my call outside my own events.

The Realm Spells can shift metas entirely. Certain Wizards are basically useless without them, since their Warscroll spells are pretty bad and they don't do much else, but as a vessel for using Realm Spells they work well. If Realm Magic is being used, basically everyone is encouraged to bring at least one or two Wizards just to have access to the really powerful spells (Inferno Blades, Miasma, Mirrorpool, Banishment, etc) or to unbind them. Without Realm Magic, there's a much smaller focus on Wizards and things with good innate Warscroll abilities become much more powerful, as do big bricks of units that can no longer be debuffed by random spells.

It's not unbalanced, it's not like Wizards suddenly dictate the entire game, but it is something you have to play around.

23. - Top - End - #773
    Troll in the Playground

I quite enjoy the realm rules, though as a Tzeentch player I may be biased.

Though with a set of decent spells I can hand out anyway I actually use the artifacts more.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

24. - Top - End - #774
    Halfling in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Requizen View Post
    What kind of build were you thinking? I can help look at lists with you!
    Thanks for the response, apologies for not responding sooner but school has been kicking my rear end. That advice seems really helpful, I haven't gotten my battletome (yet) but I've been messing around in Warscroll Builder and I've got another player willing to let me proxy a whole army (because he's a saint) so I've got some wiggle room to try things out. Personally, I really love the Mangler Squigs model, and the rules don't sound too shabby either (especially with the ability to move after attacking if he's the general) so a list focused around having it as the general would be great. That means squig hoppers/knights as battleline, yeah? Or would I be missing out to much on the Loonking's ability to control the Badmoon? Some of the buffs seem pretty strong.

25. - Top - End - #775
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Robot Goat View Post
    Thanks for the response, apologies for not responding sooner but school has been kicking my rear end. That advice seems really helpful, I haven't gotten my battletome (yet) but I've been messing around in Warscroll Builder and I've got another player willing to let me proxy a whole army (because he's a saint) so I've got some wiggle room to try things out. Personally, I really love the Mangler Squigs model, and the rules don't sound too shabby either (especially with the ability to move after attacking if he's the general) so a list focused around having it as the general would be great. That means squig hoppers/knights as battleline, yeah? Or would I be missing out to much on the Loonking's ability to control the Badmoon? Some of the buffs seem pretty strong.
    I've been discussing this with friends somewhat. Skragrott is really useful for sure - the extra CP, Bad Moon manipulation, etc are all really solid. However, it's not necessary per se, so if you want to go for Squig Hopper Battleline then don't let it deter you. However, if you're already taking 3+ units of Stabbas/Shootas... then there's really no reason to not take him unless you really really want that Command Trait on the Mangler, so I'll leave that one up to you.

It's a points thing too. Both Skragrott and Manglers are quite expensive, so see what fits. If you want to do a themed army of Manglers, Hoppers, and Bounderz, then I think you're better off focusing on that and having maybe just 1 or 2 units of Stabbas for the big unit sizes (model count holds objectives in most scenarios!). Remember that it's only Hoppers that become Battleline, not the far superior Bounderz.

Personally I think if you're taking one Mangler, you should take two. One's frightening but can be killed and focused, two requires serious effort to pin down and kill, especially if flanked by Bounderz. Fast moving, killy, and unpredictable is exactly what you want in AoS so they're a very solid choice to build around.

26. - Top - End - #776
    Ettin in the Playground

Curious, any recommendations for a Legion of Sacrament Path to Glory list? At the moment I'm thinking...

Champion - Necromancer

Followers - Balewind Vortex
    Purple Sun of Shyish
    4x Skeletons.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

27. - Top - End - #777
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Curious, any recommendations for a Legion of Sacrament Path to Glory list? At the moment I'm thinking...

Champion - Necromancer

Followers - Balewind Vortex
    Purple Sun of Shyish
    4x Skeletons.
    Not sure about Purple Sun, it's a bit iffy in effectiveness but I suppose it's still quite useful.
    Other than that, Necro and Skellies is just good. Is that a unit of 40 or 4 units of 10?

28. - Top - End - #778
    Ettin in the Playground

Actually, I just realized Balewind isn't on the list of endless spells permitted in Path to Glory, and without it, Purple sun may be of questionable use.... The whole plan was basically to hurl the death ball from as far away as possible.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #779
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually, I just realized Balewind isn't on the list of endless spells permitted in Path to Glory, and without it, Purple sun may be of questionable use.... The whole plan was basically to hurl the death ball from as far away as possible.
    Then you should know about the FAQ that says you can't extend the setup range of an endless spell. Only way to cheese an endless spells range is to have it run through an spell portal.

30. - Top - End - #780
    Ettin in the Playground

Then you should know about the FAQ that says you can't extend the setup range of an endless spell. Only way to cheese an endless spells range is to have it run through an spell portal.
    Honestly, it kind of makes me sad but I can also understand why. I kind of wanted to go full on wizard cabal at first. Just a few necromancers and a lot of endless spells.
    Spoiler
    Show