New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Default Hill Giants! (IC)

The four of you have just eaten breakfast and left the camp for the day. You've begun walking north along a ridge line, with a steep slope to the east and the west. To the east some 80 feet away, a few children are playing some game which appears to involve throwing rocks straight up in the air for maximum height. To the west is a carpet of short plants of various kinds, and then more hills.

One of the children cries out in triumph and the others start laughing.

And then there is utter silence. Even the birds have stopped their noises.

A heartbeat later, some pitch black snake like thing has burst out of the earth between you and the children. Ten feet of it are out of the ground, and at least some of its tail remains below the surface of the soil. And then a stream of black liquid jets from the thing's mouth towards two of the children. Gurta is already 6 feet tall, but she falls face forward when she is hit; most of the skin on her back has been corroded away. Pag was standing behind her, but he fares even worse - there's not much left. Kolg, Boro, and Ar start running away to the east, screaming "Ground Dragon, Ground Dragon!"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    You are 60 feet away from the monster, with 10 feet of steep slope (+2 to acrobatics DC, DC 10 acrobatics to not fall if running or charging) and then 50 feet of gradual slope (+1 to melee attacking downhill) between you and it. Roll initiative.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: Hill Giants! (IC)

Gorf had seen nothing in his daily oblations the warned him of such danger. The black serpent clearly could avoid his Vision. A demon! The mighty shaman grabbed a hefty boulder from the sack at his wide waist, and bellowed to the children.
    "Run! RUUN! Hey, serpent! Fight me!"

Show

Initiative: (1d20)[3]

3. - Top - End - #3

Initiative order:

Oolak
    Clokglock
    Serpent Monster
    Kurgu
    Gorf

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Oolak steps up, draws a rock from his bag, breaks into a slow lope, screams at the beast and lobs his rock, sailing over the head of the ground dragon.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aha! No way I'm charging down there and faceplanting on the slope in front of everyone.

I move 30´forward and draw a rock, rage, throw it, and if I hit, try a free demoralize.

(1d20+4)[7] vs AC, if it hits: (1d4+9)[12], if I do damage: (1d20+18)[32](vs. 10+HD+Wis mod)
    Last edited by CasualViking; 2017-03-24 at 10:50 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Clokglok, seeing the ground dragon melt a whole giant, does the only reasonable thing - charge at it, screaming. "BAD DRAGON!"

Spoiler: Notes
    Show
    Not sure if I'm supposed to roll Acrobatics for me or my mount - I think it's my mount, but I'll roll both in case. Looks like it works either way, though

Hopefully I can be assumed to be on my giant sloth if we're not indoors.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Acrobatics (Clokglok): (1d20+1)[12]
    Acrobatics (Megatherium): (1d20)[19]
    Attack: (1d20+14)[22]
    Damage: (4d6+24)[42]
    Last edited by r2d2go; 2017-03-24 at 07:16 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

The charge strikes true and blood sprays everywhere. As the blood hits the skullstick it corrodes everything it touches.

With an awful hiss at the impact the creature turns around to face its attacker. It opens its mouth wide to give another hiss and to show row upon row of teeth. However, those teeth are no match for hill giant skin - not one penetrates when it lunges forward and attacks.

Spoiler
    Show
    The lance has 20 hp to start, and it takes (3d6-5)[6] damage after hardness. If that is more than 10 damage the lance gains the broken condition for some penalties until repaired.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Gorf shoved a meaty fist into a sack at his belt, producing a nice round boulder. He heaved the rock toward the injured land-dragon, intent on denting in its skull.
    "Die! Eat rocks and die!"

Show

Gorf will move up 15 ft. or so, to within 1 range increment, and heave a boulder at the dragon; subtract 4 if the dragon counts in melee, although the interaction of the lance's reach might be enough that he's in the clear.
    Attack: (1d20+3)[23]
    Damage: (1d8+6)[12]
    Confirmation: 16, +10 damage if it confirms.

Much like Gorf himself, it's a beautiful throw, hitting the beast square on the noggin.
    Last edited by CockroachTeaParty; 2017-03-24 at 11:50 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8

Daemon

There was no time to spare looking for a rock or log to throw. Bellowing, Kurgu barreled down the slope to strike the monster.

Show

Kurgu charges.
    Acrobatics: (1d20+2)[18]
    Attack: (1d20+13)[26]
    Damage: (1d6+8)[13]

9. - Top - End - #9

Kurgu slams the thing in the throat, crushing into it with great force. Unfortunately, this time the acidic venom of the thing gets all over the weapon used - and while a giant is hard to poison, it's easier to poison than a lance.

Gurta twitches a little, but Pag is clearly quite dead. The other giant children are running as fast as possible.

Spoiler: OOC for Kurgu
    Show
    Fort save DC 17 or take (1d2)[1] Con damage from poison.

Also, did you forget the -1 from size in your attack bonus? It's a hit either way.

New round, same initiative order:

Oolak
    Clokglock
    Serpent Monster
    Kurgu
    Gorf

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Slightly off to the side, Oolak sees his own opportunity to charge in with an ululating war cry.
    Spoiler: rolls
    Show

Using Panthera on the Hunt (strike as a charge)
    Attack: (1d20+16)[18]
    Damage (5d6+13)[35]

This might not end well.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Clokglok, seeing Skullstick start to melt, looks sadly at the lance and wheels around on his mount, riding a distance away in preparation for another charge.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Ride to an angle where I can get a flanking charge next round. Hopefully with 20 foot reach I don't take an AoO?

12. - Top - End - #12

Oolak in his fury misses the serpent, but it senses something primal in his charge nonetheless and focuses in on him with a disturbing intensity. Darting in, it strikes him in the leg. Many teeth pierce his skin, and he can feel venom burning through his veins now.

Show
    12 damage, and make a DC 17 Fort save vs (1d2)[2] Con damage.

Yet to act this round:

Kurgu
    Gorf

13. - Top - End - #13

Daemon

Eyes watering from the stinging venom, Kurgu tries to wrestle the creature down rather than strike it again.

Show

I believe you said charging down the ridge gave a +1 to attack? With that, the normal +2 from charging, and the bonus from Kurgu's amulet, she had a total bonus of +4 to her normal +9 modifier.

Kurgu uses Brawler's Attitude to get a +4 to her grapple attempt. I believe she still provokes an AoO.

Fort Save: (1d20+7)[21]
    Grapple Check: (1d20+15)[16]

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Gorf bellowed with satisfaction as his boulder struck home, but the beast was proving quite durable. He moved further down the incline towards his companions, tossing another boulder as he went.

Show

Gorf will move closer to the fight, within 25 ft. of Oolak. He will toss another boulder on the way, taking a -4 penalty for throwing into melee probably.
    Attack: (1d20-1)[0] (+4 if no melee penalty)
    Damage: (1d8+6)[8]

15. - Top - End - #15

The monster is rubbery, boneless, and slippery and Kurgu fails to get a grasp on it, accomplishing only further contact with the thing's venom.

Show
    Another fort save DC 17 vs (1d2)[1] con damage.

Gorf misses badly - his throw looks more like a failed attempt to drop a rock on his foot.

New round.
    Last edited by raspberrybadger; 2017-03-27 at 01:20 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Oolak starts hacking away in a screaming frenzy.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    I step around so one of the other can flank on their turn, and use wild fighting. First attack: (1d20+10)[30], (3d6+11)[24]. Second attack: (1d20+10)[14], (3d6+11)[17]. Demoralize if any of those attacks hit: [1d20+18]. Third attack if demoralize succeeds: (1d20+10)[24], (3d6+11)[22]. Still hardness 5, hp 20.

17. - Top - End - #17

Oolak's first strike connects, and blood once again flies.

The ground dragon dies hissing under Oolak's frenzy. Quickly, the malevolence goes out of its motion and is replaced by aimless writhing.

The giant children keep running towards the camp, except the one who still lies slowly dying on the ground.

Spoiler: OOC for everyone
    Show
    Ref save DC 17 for Oolak or his weapon takes (3d6)[11] damage (before hardness).

Oolak and Kurgu are still poisoned, and will face 1d2 Con damage. If they don't get a heal check, their Fort DC will still be 17.

Oolak downed the thing, so the fight isn't exactly over.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Gorf goes to the dying giant child, retrieving one of his tiny wands. He whispers words of magic power, beseeching the spirits to save a young life.
    "Heal... heal... HEAL!"

Show

Gorf will try to Use Magic Device, using his wand of cure light wounds on the dying giant child.
    UMD: (1d20+13)[29] DC 20
    Heals: (1d8+1)[3] hp
    Last edited by CockroachTeaParty; 2017-03-28 at 02:46 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19

The spirits are clearly with Gorf. Gurta is breathing normally now. She wakes with a start, but calms back down when she sees the ground dragon clearly dead.

Show
    I don't think anyone else had the heal skill, so it looks like the poison DCs will be at 17.

Also, if I understand correctly Oolak makes a Wil save to handle the downsides of his barbarian archetype.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Oolak looks around huffing madly, drawing back his axe and digging in his heels for another charge. Then he recognizes his fellow giants and throws down his axe with a grunt, slumping down on his haunches and gulping for breath.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Gorf nods with satisfaction as he sees the little one come to.
    "More healing? Or can you go home?"

The lumbering shaman waddles over to his embattled companions, seeing multiple wounds as well.
    "You are hurt! Poison? Gorf can help!"

Show

Gorf has the Heal skill trained. He can help out with any remaining poison saving throws. I'll toss a few Heal checks here:
    1 (1d20+7)[20]
    2 (1d20+7)[9]
    3 (1d20+7)[12]

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Oolak gets up, puts some weight on his leg with only a slight wince. "Is just bite, Gorf. Is fine. Don't need magic."
    Last edited by CasualViking; 2017-03-28 at 01:23 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

Gurta is clearly in pain, but she says "Home." with longing in her voice. She has difficulty getting to her feet, but then she starts moving slowly towards the camp.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Gorf walks up to the body of the land-dragon thing. He raises his hands skyward and bellows aloud.
    "Oh spirits of rage what sent this thing, be happy and leave us alone! You killed some kids, so that should be enough for now."
    Gorf then urinates on the ground around the poisonous, corrosive corpse, to purify the area of lingering hostile spiritual energy.
    Last edited by CockroachTeaParty; 2017-03-28 at 08:58 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Clokglok rides back over, wrinkles his nose, and picks up a boulder to smash the ground dragon's head to make it stop twitching. Then he wipes off his lance on the ground, drops his anvil on the ground with a thud, and grunts. "Need to fix Skullstick. Then we go?"

Show
    Boulder Attack: (1d20+5)[8]
    Damage: (1d6+12)[16]
    Craft: (1d20+3)[14], (1d20+3)[7], (1d20+3)[20], (1d20+3)[15]

26. - Top - End - #26

The rock misses, but the ground dragon stops twitching not much later.

27. - Top - End - #27

Daemon

"Thanks, Gorf." Kurgu still felt the poison burning in her, but was certain it would have been worse without the his help. Still a little unsteady on her feet, she went to help Gurta back to camp.

28. - Top - End - #28

Just as Kurgu starts moving back to camp, human voices from the other side of the ridge are carried toward you on the wind.

Female: "What's so important? It's them?"
    Male: "These are giants we're talking about. Four of them. One not full size, but still. We can't take them."
    Female: "There are fates worse than death. We have to do this."
    Deeper male voice: "If she says go, I'm going."
    Male: "Not again... at least tell me we get to hold the high ground?"
    Last edited by raspberrybadger; 2017-03-29 at 04:20 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Clokglok's ears twitch, and he whispers. "Humans! They do not sound like ones I know. What does Gorf and Oolak and Kurgu think?" He starts to climb back on his sloth, hefting his "fixed" lance and anvil.
    Last edited by r2d2go; 2017-03-29 at 05:55 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

"Humans! We should hide and see what they do!"

Gorf went and squatted in the nearby scrub bushes, thinking his plan was very cunning. He ripped up a bush and put it on top of his head, while the rest of his huge torso protruded quite clearly from the rest of the shrubs.

Show

Stealth check: (1d20-7)[-6]
    Last edited by CockroachTeaParty; 2017-03-29 at 06:14 PM.