New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Creature of the Night, rawr.

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Nah. Hyenas. Since Hyenas drive off lions from their kills, I'd bet they'd do pretty well against a wolf. Their bite has to count for something as well, as the wiki says they can put out 80 kilograms per square centimer. Surely you can find a good use for that ability.

For stealth, nothing beats a moth/cockroach combo. Ask your DM how clean people's houses are, because you might be able to blend in with your insect buddies.
    You mixed that up Hyenas are driven off from there kills from Lions more often then not.
    That 80 kilograms is very impressive, but to keep in mind we as humans can generate up to 120... yeah
    Check Out
    Check out my youtube channel just click here and enjoy?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscast_Mage View Post
    You're a frickin' ninja below me, too!? You got mad skills, Vknight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Rogue vs. Dog. (The new Cat vs. Commoner, only not amusing!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    You are making the assumption of rational planning. After 37 years of dungeon crawling, I still have zero evidence that the average dungeon was designed by the sane.
    "Sleep is optional, just ask Vknight" Someone I Forget but thanks... I don't

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vknight View Post
    You mixed that up Hyenas are driven off from there kills from Lions more often then not.
    Huh. Further reading proves you're right. But still, as for the bone thing, I don't know how much pressure a human can exert, but it might be a leverage issue. Hyenas will crush large ungulate bones with their jaws, something...I've never seen a human do, nor would I advise one to try unless I didn't like them very much.

I wonder if you could use their ability to digest skin and bone as a way to dispose of victims that would foil most pre-industrialized regions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

I don't know how much pressure a human can exert, but it might be a leverage issue. Hyenas will crush large ungulate bones with their jaws, something...I've never seen a human do, nor would I advise one to try unless I didn't like them very much.
    Well, I know for a fact that if I closed my jaw with all the force I could muster, my teeth would break. And I have all of my original teeth, with no serious flaws. Perhaps hyenas have stronger bones, allowing them to use more of their jaw strength safely?

But... if you want a powerful, nocturnal quadruped, why look beyond the tiger?
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    Because this is GitP, and we must over-analyze and over-optimize anything remotely interesting.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Because bears exist.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Well I was looking for more unusual/useful forms more than optimized for killing lol and I am very bad with biology or whatever it is you need to know what animals are badass at night. But then again all this has been helpful and entertaining :D

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey guys, what time of day are Japanese Death Hornets active? There has got to be a use for spraying flesh eating venom, perhaps questioning prisoners/victims?

...That's technically not killing outright, right? Totally different usage.

Also, got any skills to deal with animals? Being able to lead a charge or cause a stampede from within would be quite useful. You just need some skill to get them to go in the right direction.
    Last edited by Honest Tiefling; 2016-08-01 at 09:27 PM.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, I know for a fact that if I closed my jaw with all the force I could muster, my teeth would break. And I have all of my original teeth, with no serious flaws. Perhaps hyenas have stronger bones, allowing them to use more of their jaw strength safely?

Hear, hear!

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    Because this is GitP, and we must over-analyze and over-optimize anything remotely interesting.
    True enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Because bears exist.
    I'd take a Siberian Tiger over a Kodiac Bear any day! And that position may or may not be influenced by the fact that I am a definite Cat Person. (Who is, unfortunately, very allergic to cats! )
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    I'd take a Siberian Tiger over a Kodiac Bear any day! And that position may or may not be influenced by the fact that I am a definite Cat Person. (Who is, unfortunately, very allergic to cats! )
    So you'd rather take the thing that actively hunts people over the thing that avoids them? You have reproductive organs of brass.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Huh. Further reading proves you're right. But still, as for the bone thing, I don't know how much pressure a human can exert, but it might be a leverage issue. Hyenas will crush large ungulate bones with their jaws, something...I've never seen a human do, nor would I advise one to try unless I didn't like them very much.

I wonder if you could use their ability to digest skin and bone as a way to dispose of victims that would foil most pre-industrialized regions.
    Its a combination of the differences in our bone structure, leverage produced by our jaws, and size of our mouths as a species.
    Think of it on the fact we exert our bit force in a more concentrated area well the Hyena is applying over a larger one.

I still say Jackal simply to blend in though I'd follow that with Hyena for many the same reasons, then wolves.
    With a item like this I want stealth abilities not combat abilities.
    Check Out
    Check out my youtube channel just click here and enjoy?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscast_Mage View Post
    You're a frickin' ninja below me, too!? You got mad skills, Vknight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Rogue vs. Dog. (The new Cat vs. Commoner, only not amusing!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    You are making the assumption of rational planning. After 37 years of dungeon crawling, I still have zero evidence that the average dungeon was designed by the sane.
    "Sleep is optional, just ask Vknight" Someone I Forget but thanks... I don't

11. - Top - End - #41
    Halfling in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

After a quick Google search, I've discovered that platypuses are nocturnal. It might not be the best at fighting, and it might be too unusual for stealth, but come ON! Who wouldn't want to be a platypus?

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cernor View Post
    After a quick Google search, I've discovered that platypuses are nocturnal. It might not be the best at fighting, and it might be too unusual for stealth, but come ON! Who wouldn't want to be a platypus?
    Males are venomous, by the way. I assume you get to choose your gender when selecting these forms, because many of the large mammalian predators are sexually dimorphic.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Orc in the Playground

I'm surprised nobody said werewolf yet. Especially since wolves and vampires were both mentioned. Sure, a werewolf ain't inconspicious (that's what you've got your human form, dude), but they're archetypically enduring badasses and at the very least as good as a supernatural wolf. A modern, hybrid-shaped werewolf gets to read and use weapons, too, so you just ditch your old form and go furry all night! A nerd by class, a warrior by flesh! And several advantages over a vampire, too: first, a vampire can be screwed into being as fragile as a human via an aristocratic archetype, and second, a werewolf doesn't have nearly so many weaknessess the DM may dump at you all at once (just imagine being vulnerable to garlic, silver, sun, holy imagery AND unable to enter buildings uninvited).

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    If an aquatic campaign coelocanth are nocturnal*

*Seriously coelocanth are nocturnal, they spend the daytime in caves near the bottom of the undersea volcanoes only coming out at night (when they still remain at the bottom of the sea).
    Even in an aquatic campaign, it's probably a bad idea to turn into something that goes dead in surface waters due to a lack of pressure.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Elitarismo View Post
    Complaining about martial characters dipping many different classes is like complaining that the sun is hot.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArqArturo View Post
    When I first wanted to build a gish, I wanted to be the guy that threw fireballs, lightning bolts, wore spiked fullplate and reigned death and destruction (…)

So I rolled a cleric.

To everyone i played with in a certain campaign: i'm sorry i've dropped off without a warning, but a sudden case of twin daughers is a very solid reason, trust me.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Nightcrawlers are creatures and have 'Night' in their name...

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/n...m#nightcrawler

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Haart View Post
    I'm surprised nobody said werewolf yet.
    But werewolves are just so... uncouth. And the morning breath they get after a transformation...
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Haart View Post
    I'm surprised nobody said werewolf yet. Especially since wolves and vampires were both mentioned. Sure, a werewolf ain't inconspicious (that's what you've got your human form, dude), but they're archetypically enduring badasses and at the very least as good as a supernatural wolf. A modern, hybrid-shaped werewolf gets to read and use weapons, too, so you just ditch your old form and go furry all night! A nerd by class, a warrior by flesh! And several advantages over a vampire, too: first, a vampire can be screwed into being as fragile as a human via an aristocratic archetype, and second, a werewolf doesn't have nearly so many weaknessess the DM may dump at you all at once (just imagine being vulnerable to garlic, silver, sun, holy imagery AND unable to enter buildings uninvited).

Even in an aquatic campaign, it's probably a bad idea to turn into something that goes dead in surface waters due to a lack of pressure.
    Some of those weaknesses can be negated by dealing with them in human form. i.e. Transforming into a human to walk into a house, then transforming back into a vampire.
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Pixie in the Playground

Just for the record, this thread wins the "best name" award.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

How about a Hound of the Hunt? The Wild Hunt, that is. Lethal and intimidating, sure, but also faster than the wind and invisible except in moonlight (I just made those up, but eh, they work, right?).
    Spoiler: Collectible nice things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Read ExLibrisMortis' post...

WHY IS THERE NO LIKE BUTTON?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Libris: look at your allowed sources. I don't think any of your options were from those.
    My incarnate/crusader. A self-healing crowd-control melee build (ECL 8).
    My Ruby Knight Vindicator barsader. A party-buffing melee build (ECL 14).
    Doctor Despair's and my all-natural approach to necromancy.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Personally, I think you should choose this fluffy kitten:
    Spoiler: Fluffy
    Show

Ligar, tough looking.

Pretty sure it's nocturnal, if not it's still cool.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Orc in the Playground

The obvious choice is the TAWNY FROGMOUTH.
    "Scary magical hoodoo and technology are the same thing, their difference is merely cultural context" - Clarke, paraphrased