New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 36 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1472
  1. - Top - End - #1051
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

Lucian

Lucian allows his voice to fill the room. He smiles as he speaks, hoping his good-natured plea is enough to win over the grandmotherly figure in the rocking chair.

No, grandmother. It is I, Lucian Salvatore, humble traveler. I am in great need of shelter, and I wonder if your beneficence will allow me to impose upon your hospitality this evening?

Spoiler
    Show

Sense Motive (1d20+7)[26]
    Diplomacy (1d20+5)[6]

Let me know if I should roll something else, or if this isn't what you need.
    Last edited by Zed's Dead; 2008-05-11 at 10:20 PM.

2. - Top - End - #1052
    Ogre in the Playground

The elderly lady is overjoyed. "Oh Timmy, you're so creative! I love it when you play 'pretend'!"

She slowly rises, revealing she's a bit of a round figure, dressed in torn, loose garb. "Of course you can stay here, shnuckums!" she says, stepping closer. She's quite a short woman - as she comes nearer, her head barely reaches Lucian's shoulders. "Oh, you're such a handsome lad!" She says with a smile, reaching out to pinch Lucian's cheek. "Have a seat, and I'll make us some supper!"

Meanwhile, Titus seems to be growing impatient. "What's going on in there? Can anyone see anything?" he asks, gazing towards the cottage.

3. - Top - End - #1053
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flare

Flare shrugs calmly. Lucian wants to demonstrate that he can take care of himself, and since he didn't give us a chance to discuss it, then I intend to let him take care of himself. It hasn't been long enough to make me worried anyway.
    Last edited by EvilRoeSlade; 2008-05-12 at 07:35 PM.
    Avatar by Dirtytabs - Much gratitude

4. - Top - End - #1054
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Lucian

Oh, Grandmother! How did you know it was me? I thought for sure I could fool you this time. You can see everything, can't you?

Lucian strides across the room and embraces the old woman.
    Last edited by Zed's Dead; 2008-05-13 at 09:01 AM.

5. - Top - End - #1055
    Ogre in the Playground

The old woman smells a bit, but her embrace is warm and inviting. She gives Lucian a kiss on the cheek and the waddles towards the door. "I'll go out in the garden and get some carrots and tomatoes! I think I have some potatoes fully grown, too! You rest here, deary!"

She steps outside, immediately spotting the party in the distance. Those outside would have no trouble seeing the old, round woman, dressed in rags. "Huh...Timmy, do you know who these people are?"

6. - Top - End - #1056

Shimar

The barbarian stays where he is, as he simply doesn't have a clue about what to do right now.
    Troubles in Athkatla, an FR game about schemings around an ancient curse
    The messengers, a game about finding allies in times of need

Sorry about the lack of posting lately. I usually try to post once a day, but if it's server downtime, I'm in trouble.

7. - Top - End - #1057

Drahlo looks on quietly. Guha returns to his shoulder to get a look as well.

8. - Top - End - #1058

Flare

Flare waves at the old woman and approaches, tipping his veiled hat. Hello Miss. I'm Flare Heliosi, a traveller, as are we all. Did Lucian mention us? We're with him. Smiling, he looks around calmly. Is Timmy the name of your son? I don't see him here.

9. - Top - End - #1059
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Lucian

Oh, you jokester, Flare! Stop with your ridiculous kidding. We're practically brothers! Grandmother--meet my friends. They've traveled a long way, and a couple of them are hurt. Can they come and stay the night, too?

With a "subtle" gesture (Lucian steps back behind the old woman's line of sight and his hand saws in pantomime across his own throat "cut!") he attempts to communicate to Flare to cease.

Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff to help the grandmother believe all this! (1d20+9)[26]

10. - Top - End - #1060
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EvilRoeSlade View Post
    Flare

Flare shrugs calmly. Lucian wants to demonstrate that he can take care of himself, and since he didn't give us a chance to discuss it, then I intend to let him take care of himself. It hasn't been long enough to make me worried anyway.
    Harold Betruger
    snrk
    Harold coughs quickly and then brushes a bit of dust off his white shirt, a little self-consciously. He observes the conversation unfolding in front of him, and he wondered for just a moment if he shouldn't be taking notes for Mr. Gortana. Probably this had the makings of a comedic second-act interlude somewhere.
    glancing a bit over his shoulder, Harold evaluates carefully the odds that the Hags would give chase. Or that they'd set trap instead.
    Still, it doesn't do to flinch at the sight of every aged woman in a ten-mile radius because of a run-in.
    He glances at Titus and shrugs.
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

11. - Top - End - #1061
    Ogre in the Playground

The old lady smiles again at Lucian. "Of course, deary! Although, I'm not too sure if I have enough food for everyone..." She ponders for a moment. "Oh wait, yes, there's plenty! Come inside, everyone! It's getting dark, and it's not safe outside!" She gestures toward the door.

Spoiler
    Show
    Anyone observing her closely fails to sense any particular motive she might have.

Titus is hesitant, but he does not appear to be sensing anything wrong. "I see Lucian has convinced the old woman he is family" he mutters to Harold. "I cannot say I enjoy the deception, but do we need shelter. I suppose we can make amends by leaving her payment for her hospitality." He approaches the old woman, and gives his thanks.

12. - Top - End - #1062
    Troll in the Playground

Harold Betruger
    Harold sighs and returns in just as low a voice.
    "I know. I'm a very honest man, you know, and I really don't think this is necessary. But our friend here needs rest."

13. - Top - End - #1063

Shimar

Reluctantly, but Shimar follows the others to the cottage. The old lady does not seem threatening, altough Shimar still believes in his bandit theory, but now he believes Timmy to be the main highwayman around this forest.
    Troubles in Athkatla, an FR game about schemings around an ancient curse
    The messengers, a game about finding allies in times of need

Sorry about the lack of posting lately. I usually try to post once a day, but if it's server downtime, I'm in trouble.

14. - Top - End - #1064

Flare

Flare's smile slowly vanishes, though his mien of peace remains. He grabs Harold's arm lightly as the bard passes. Actually friends, I have a better idea. We all leave here, right now, and find a place to hide for the night.

15. - Top - End - #1065
    Dwarf in the Playground

Len watches.

(OOC: not a good week.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar0k
    Probability has betrayed me, I thought we had a thing.

President, Founder, and Chairman of the Ya-Ta-Hey! Self-Promotion Club

16. - Top - End - #1066

Drahlo gets a confused expression as he sees Lucian moves his finger across his throat. He lowers his voice to a whisper and says, "Where I come from, that signal means 'kill them.' Different here?"

17. - Top - End - #1067
    Troll in the Playground

Harold Betruger
    With difficulty, Harold tries to dislodge Flare's grip, looking a bit reproachful.
    "I wish you'd stop doing that. If you want my attention, a simple 'Hey, Harold,' would suffice."
    Dusting himself off a little dramatically, the minstrel steps back outside the hut. Harold puts his hands on his hips and turns his handsome face towards the mysterious magician.
    "All right. Now what is it? I'm a bit uncomfortable with the third-rate busking our friends inside are doing, but I don't think it'll come to any harm. The wild one needs rest if he's going to be in any shape to travel, much less, er, 'throw down a corrupt magistrate no doubt exploiting the people.'"

18. - Top - End - #1068

Flare

Flare bows his head in acknowledgement to Harold. I agree. It might not be honest, but it's ultimately harmless... to her anyway. I'm worried about us. Titus has already ignored an obviously inconsistent situation because it involved a seemingly harmless woman, so you'll understand if I'm getting tired of people making this mistake over and over again. This woman isn't blind. There's no way she could survive out here in a hag-haunted forest by being as harmless as she's pretending. Everything about her actions suggest that for some reason she's trying to draw us in, get us to stay here. And since she isn't being upfront about her motivations, I suggest we don't. Even if I'm wrong, then sooner or later the real Timmy is going to show up and the game will be over. Where does that leave us then? We'll end up in a situation that's at best awkward and inconvenient, or at worst a bloodbath. So what do you say you put your powers of persuasion at work to get our friends out of that house and the shipwreck that's going to come. Shimar or Drahlo can find us an ideal and well-hidden campsite, and we can rest and eat our rations cold and without a fire and be ready to leave in the morning.

He takes a deep breath and rubs the back of his head, moving over toward Drahlo. Actually, that's what it means where I come from too. For now let's just assume that Lucian has his signals mixed up. What do you think Drahlo? Can you find us a safe campsite?

19. - Top - End - #1069

Drahlo's voice is grim as he responds to Flare, doing his best to speak softly enough to keep the old woman out of the conversation. "These woods are strange to me, and full of danger. I can do my best, but I cannot... ah... guarantee, I think is the word? I cannot guarantee a safe place. With our wounds, we smell strongly of blood. I cannot cover the scent. Were these my home plains, it would be different. Still, I share your mistrust about this old woman; were she truly harmless she would be prey by now."
    Last edited by Proven_Paradox; 2008-05-14 at 10:58 PM.

20. - Top - End - #1070
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Lucian

Lucian walks over to his companions, out of earshot of the old woman.

One of us is close to death. I have provided shelter. What could this old woman do to us? We'll keep a watch--perhaps even two at once--and we'll make it through the night. I'll leave her some silver in the morning. Everyone's happy.

If a few wolves or even a bear came after us in the night, we'd be dead.

She is not one of the strange hags we saw earlier. She smells funny, but she does not smell of death or corruption. Relax. We'll survive this.

21. - Top - End - #1071

Flare

Flare looks at Lucian and smiles politely. I wasn't asking you. Though I do thank you for your concern.

22. - Top - End - #1072
    Ogre in the Playground

Anyone who is inside the cottage would see Titus excusing himself to speak with those who remained outside.

The knight emerges from the dim dwelling and gives a look to Flare. "What's going on? Afraid this one might be a fiend as well?" Before waiting for an answer, he continues. "You speak a little loud. I heard you from within." he states bluntly, before addressing any concerns. "It was foolish of me to let my guard down earlier - but come, we have seen this woman's face and heard her speak. This very cottage is testiment to a civilized being. And, I do not believe any magicks could stimulate the senses so! We can not only see this abode," he gestures to the wall of the exterior. "but feel the splintering of the wood," he runs his hand across a board. "even smell the old smell of an aged cottage." he sniffs it. "Inside, the dust that collects only on a wood floor tingles my nose. This is surely no illusion, and I do not think anyone who would attempt to prey upon roadside travellers would construct a home and weather it such - far too much trouble. Perhaps..." He glances back through the doorway. "Perhaps this woman is merely a kind and hospitable person? As for intelligent creatures of the wood - who would seek to harm a lonely old woman? She probably possesses nothing of value, so I see no reason for her to be the prey of bandits. And, the structure looks sound enough to deter wolves, and other natural predators."

He ponders a moment. "Or, if that is not enough, maybe she holds a secret to survival in this wilderness? I have heard many a tale from passing bards, of ancient hermits who appear weak and foolish yet possess great lore and know how to protect themselves from beasts, in ways not obvious to the eyes of most men." He folds his arms. "Maybe we can ask her of it?"

Not a moment later, the old woman emerges. "Is something wrong, dearies?"

23. - Top - End - #1073

Drahlo closes his eyes as Titus speaks. "Yet I still think--" He then notices the woman out of the cottage and says, causing him to pause awkwardly, and he never finishes his sentence.

24. - Top - End - #1074

Flare

Flare closes his eyes. You don't need magic to deceive, Titus. And I think we've already established that your instincts can't be trusted.

When the old woman approaches, Flare bows his head. Actually yes, something is wrong. Maybe you can help us resolve it. It's just that... we've faced several terrible monsters on our way here, and yet here you are, unhidden, undefended, and yet completely unmolested by the fiends that haunt these woods. I'm simply having trouble understanding how this could be so. Yet surely there must be some explanation. Will you share with us?

25. - Top - End - #1075
    Ogre in the Playground

Titus looks visibly upset at Flare's words - he seems as if he is about to reply in a harsh manner, but his eyes remember the woman and he restrains himself.

She looks to Flare with a smile of admiration. "Oh, so full of questions! It's good to ask questions, you know - especially when you're so young. My Timmy has such smart little friends!" she begins to grin. "Howabout you all come inside, relax, and we can talk about that over supper!" She reaches at Flare's garb, and begins tugging him lightly.
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2008-05-16 at 09:55 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1076

Flare

Flare smiles gently and removes the old woman's hand. Your offer is kind and you have done nothing to earn my distrust. Nonetheless, that wasn't a question to discuss over dinner. It needs to be explained, at least in brief, before we can accept your offer of hospitality.

27. - Top - End - #1077
    Troll in the Playground

Harold Betruger
    Harold loops his thumbs through his belt and rocks on his heels, thoughtfully, before taking Titus aside.
    "Magic is quite powerful stuff, you know," he says, almost off-handedly.
    "You're probably right about the cottage, of course, but with a few words and a wave of the hand, I imagine there are many wizards and witches who could weave illusions so real you'd happily eat one and hang your hat on the other."
    He sighs.
    "I can't help but feel Flare's being a little overcautious, but the worst that comes of being too careful here is being a little stiff from the cold. The worst that comes from not being careful enough," Harold scratches his ear, mildly.
    "Well, that tends to involve more flames, screaming and pointy sticks. Please yourself of course, m'lord, but I don't think I'll find much rest here. I'm curious, though, about this "Timmy." If he's due back soon, he can probably answer us some questions; I wouldn't want to tax the our hostess's addled mind overmuch with keen questions. With your permission, m'lord," Harold says, an austere expression on his face,
    "Flare and I will take a quick look about, and see if we can't find out a little more about the residents here, yes? A smith's hammer, a woodsman's axe, a cooper's rings...anything could be a clue. What say you?"
    Last edited by The Great Skenardo; 2008-05-16 at 10:09 PM.

28. - Top - End - #1078
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Lucian

Lucian stands apart for a moment, and then turns to the assembly.

Let's head inside, gentlemen and lady--or are you going to tell me that you are afraid of my tiny, sweet, kind grandmother? Plus, I must confess she makes a tasty pastry.

That reminds me...what are you serving tonight, grandmother?

29. - Top - End - #1079
    Ogre in the Playground

Titus seems a bit more pleased with Harold's conduct - though he still appears to hold a dour face. "Yeah, sure." He eventually says in agreement.

The woman's excitable attitude dies down as Flare presses his point. She looks as if she is about to answer, but Lucian's question distracts her a moment. "Just one second, Timmy. Your friend asked me an important question." She turns back to Flare. "Well," she begins slowly. "I honestly wanted to have a moment to myself before getting to explaining that, youngin. You see, it brings a lot of memories back to me. I get a bit emotional, being on the spot, discussing things like that." She turns away, looking at the cottage. "My husband and I built this, our home, maybe 60 years ago. He was a strange and mysterious traveller, I was a city girl. We fell in love, but my parents wouldn't have me marry him - he was a vagrant, a scoundrel in their eyes. So, I ran away with him." She turns back again. "He knew I didn't want to live wandering the world - that was his dream, not mine. So, he said, "I'll buy you a house one-day, and if I can't, I'll make it with my own two hands!". Eventually we came here, to this forest. Of course, I was afraid of living out here - in the middle of nowhere, and all - but he kept saying we were safe. Never figured that out until I lost the necklace he gave me, one day." She reaches into a pocket and pulls out a small necklace of brown and tan beads, holding it in the palm of her hand, before Flare. "I don't know how it works, but it keeps me safe. Me and anyone else who I've got with me." She closes her hand, stuffing the necklace back where it came from. She looks to be on the verge of tears.
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2008-05-17 at 11:05 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1080
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Lucian

Lucian puts his arm around the old woman.

I'm sorry, grandmother.

Let's go inside, shall we, fellows? As she said, we will be safe tonight.