New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Fallout V: Old Thread Blues

I tend to carry just one, usually a Missile Launcher, and 8-12 rounds, because once I have the 4 tube mod, (which you can find seemingly guaranteed in a Trap at Quincy) it makes for a impressive spam fire weapon.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, fair enough. I did use it on the Mirelurk queen. Because I had it.

...Part of me wants to start the game over with the same character when all the DLC is installed, but two things stop me:

1. My guns are awesome and I don't want to go thru that again, especially if I don't get as good ones.

2. More importantly the only reason I really want to restart is to build better settlements, BUT I also realize the only way to do that is to cheat and get unlimited resources, because quite frankly I refuse to grind for junk. And just spawning the black BOS uniform for myself left a very bad taste in my mouth; to go full on cheating would be SO much worse.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

Because I had it is probably the best reason to use a Fatman I've ever heard.

I find that as much as I might worry about giving up the guns I have acquired already, I never find myself so attached that I'm not willing to give the new ones a chance. I see a lot of people get so obsessed with BEST that it turns into ONLY. But if you like your explosive 10mm, consider how much fun a 10mm Plasma-infused might be.

Why are you grinding for junk? Just pick it up as you go along and make trips back home carrying it. Eventually you'll have so much you'll be swimming in it. The only ones I ever run out of are the ultra-rare ones, like Fiber Optics, or Ballistic Fiber.

There is a mod that adds a junk scavenging bench on the Nexus and it's just how it sounds. They scavenge junk instead of food.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    Why are you grinding for junk? Just pick it up as you go along and make trips back home carrying it. Eventually you'll have so much you'll be swimming in it. The only ones I ever run out of are the ultra-rare ones, like Fiber Optics, or Ballistic Fiber.
    Because I have a STR of 4 (started with 2) due to playing a sniper. Which means that I am basically constantly 1 kg from being overloaded. all the time.
    And having to fast travel back and forth just to empty your pockets is really annoying after a while.

Now, on a different topic: What do I need to be able to build the best robots?

Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

Because I have a STR of 4 (started with 2) due to playing a sniper. Which means that I am basically constantly 1 kg from being overloaded. all the time.
    And having to fast travel back and forth just to empty your pockets is really annoying after a while.

edit:
    I just realized I probably HAVE to start over if I want to actually build decent robots, since I'm lvl 48 with no unused points and it will take 1000000 years for me to get enough perks to build anything worthwhile? At least according to google.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post

edit:
    I just realized I probably HAVE to start over if I want to actually build decent robots, since I'm lvl 48 with no unused points and it will take 1000000 years for me to get enough perks to build anything worthwhile? At least according to google.
    It's science, robotics expert and armorer for nearly everything. Even assuming you have none of those it's at most 10 more levels.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ailurus View Post
    It's science, robotics expert and armorer for nearly everything. Even assuming you have none of those it's at most 10 more levels.
    Yeah, but you're leveling SLOOOWLY now.
    Danm I don't know. I wish I could go back without losing so much. The problem is I really REALLY like the character, so I refuse to start over with another, but on the other hand I can't really see me grinding 10 levels just to be able to build what I want. I already did that with armor and weapons.

Btw 10 levels seems little. I need what? 4 levels of science, 4 levels of robotics expert, 4 levels of blacksmith and I think 2 levels of gun nut (I think I'm lvl2)? I THINK I am lvl 4 armorer. That's somewhere between 12 and 16 levels.

Suddenly I'm not as eager to get back into the game. I just feel bored already, knowing how much I will have to play to get that. Especially since I don't want to advance the plot while doing it.
    The alternative I guess, is to cheat. Which again I really don't want to do.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

All the best bits are unlocked by no more than science three and two ranks of Robotics expert. The rest you'll probably find off destroyed enemy robots. The only science 4 mods are unstable weapons, which frankly kind of suck, and sentry torso fat man launchers. And the basic grenade launchers are quite sufficient. Especially since they insist on using them indoors.

9. - Top - End - #249

All parts and prereqs listed here

Blacksmith only gives your robots upgraded melee weapons. It's easily skippable assuming you're happy equipping them with a wide variety of lasers, flamethrowers and miniguns (or just the default melee weapons)

Gun Nut 1 is the only Gun Nut needed, and that's only for a nail gun.

Robotics Expert 2 is the highest Robotics Expert that matters for robots (and there's only 3 ranks total anyway, not 4).

Science you need level 4.

So if you've taken care of armorer, you really only need 6 levels (2 RE and 4 Science), plus any other int points you need.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

Well that IS much better.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

If you're going for the 'best' robot, you've got two options.

Assaultron Head Laser>Head Hydraulic Frame
    Robobrain Torso>Voltaic Armor>Regeneration Field
    Sentry Bot Arms>Laser Gatling Guns>Voltaic Armor
    Robobrain Treads>Voltaic Armor

Sub out one arm's Laser Gatling for a conventional Gatling, if you want to damage things resistant to energy.

The other option is not quite as good in my opinion, but applies a stupendous number of weapons.

Assaultron Head Laser>Head Hydraulic Frame
    Sentry Bot Torso>Voltaic Armor>Regeneration Field>Dual Shoulder Launchers
    Sentry Bot Arms>Gatling Guns>Hydraulic Armor.
    Robobrain Treads>Voltaic Armor.

That's five individual weapons, and I've seen it stomp Legendary Deathclaws very easily.

The highest science either of those needs is 3 for the shoulder launchers. You'll probably find Sentry Torso's on the big Tankbots you kill, so those aren't really an issue.

On the other side you could use them just as storage machines. A sentry legged robot with factory storage armor and all the things set to max storage can carry a truly ridiculous amount of stuff. Fit 'em with a sniper laser and heavy flamer and it becomes an artillery piece of epic proportions.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Why obsess over building the best robot, especially if you think the level grinding required will be boring? Make a robot that looks cool and doesn't die in 0.05 seconds under fire is about as much as I think is necessary.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

Personally, I'd just build up a storage bot with maximum carrying capacity and maybe some kind of long-range popgun and tell it to stay the hell out of a fight. Seems to me that would probably be easier than building a deathbot.

Alternately, just don't use robots. It would have to go quite a way to beat the Lone Wanderer perk.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

That first bot you get (Ava i think her name is?) is currently rocking 2 Laser Gattlings, Ahabs head, and a Robobrain Torso and Treads, and then i pumped her armor as much as i could. That thing is devastating and it makes my melee character very happy.

As to the junk grinding thing, i am currently running out of Copper, Oil, and Glass a lot, which is a strange position for me as it used to be Adhesive. Anyway can anyone tell me what those Maker things do? I mean it says that it (obviously) makes stuff, but does it just need power to do that or do i have to dump stuff into it?

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Personally, I'd just build up a storage bot with maximum carrying capacity and maybe some kind of long-range popgun and tell it to stay the hell out of a fight. Seems to me that would probably be easier than building a deathbot.

Alternately, just don't use robots. It would have to go quite a way to beat the Lone Wanderer perk.
    This right here is why Dogmeat is best companion.
    Last edited by Blackhawk748; 2016-08-21 at 04:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

15. - Top - End - #255
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    As to the junk grinding thing, i am currently running out of Copper, Oil, and Glass a lot, which is a strange position for me as it used to be Adhesive. Anyway can anyone tell me what those Maker things do? I mean it says that it (obviously) makes stuff, but does it just need power to do that or do i have to dump stuff into it?
    You need to feed it junk, unfortunately. And usually, the recipes to make things are more costly than what you'd get by scrapping the items. IE, if you scrap a kickball, it will give you 3 rubber, but making one costs 4 rubber. Teddy bears give 1 leather, 3 cloth, but cost 2 leather, 4 cloth.

Now, the more useful tools you get for makers actually come from a mod, I think. There are builders which aren't actually builders; rather, they disassemble your enemies. Robots keep attacking your settlement? Feed them into the robot disassembler and get some spare circuitry, fuses, copper, all those fun things that go into robots. Gunners attack, and suddenly you're getting a full banquet's worth of human meat, and a full skeleton of human bones.

Copper is easiest to find if you have the Scrapper perk. You know all those pipe pistols and rifles you've been ignoring? Scrapper I gives you copper, aluminum, and screws. Alternatively, some merchants sell shipments of it, though that gets expensive before too long.

Oil is best obtained through Cutting Fluid, made with bone, acid, water, and steel. If you don't want to do that, Dunwich Borers has lots of lanterns and oil cans, and Hardware Town has paint cans which give 2 oil each.

Glass is something you just have to pick up, I think; look for bottles. The Wiki says that Beantown Brewery is a good place to start, but I also remember Medford Memorial Hospital having a ton of glass in an upper room with lots of beakers and microscopes.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

The trouble with Lone Wanderer is that I can't dismiss it with an inventory full of junk and have it murder it's way back home.

There are a couple of highly dangerous Provisioner routes. Being able to send an enormous, heavily armed death machine trundling along ensures nothing stops the mail. Not Rain, not Slete, not Dark of Night, nor indeed the Deathclaws bite.

The higher crafting requirements is to stop infinite looping. Otherwise you could build a Teddy Bear, and have it constantly loop around until you had an infinite amount of stuff to make more.
    Last edited by Triaxx; 2016-08-21 at 05:50 PM.

17. - Top - End - #257

There is a mod that adds a junk scavenging bench on the Nexus and it's just how it sounds. They scavenge junk instead of food.
    Wait... what? I thought that was how the vanilla ones worked.
    Vitruvian Stickman avatar by linklele.
    I have an extended signature now. God knows why.
    Spoiler: shameless self-aggrandizing
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    What this guy said.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm... according to wiki, I am incorrect. Ah. I see where I was confused. The limit is Junk Items=100+(Population*5) and then it stops working. So I simply had so much junk it wasn't doing any good.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm... according to wiki, I am incorrect. Ah. I see where I was confused. The limit is Junk Items=100+(Population*5) and then it stops working. So I simply had so much junk it wasn't doing any good.
    Wait.... it has a cap? LAME!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

The trouble with Lone Wanderer is that I can't dismiss it with an inventory full of junk and have it murder it's way back home.

There are a couple of highly dangerous Provisioner routes. Being able to send an enormous, heavily armed death machine trundling along ensures nothing stops the mail. Not Rain, not Slete, not Dark of Night, nor indeed the Deathclaws bite.

The higher crafting requirements is to stop infinite looping. Otherwise you could build a Teddy Bear, and have it constantly loop around until you had an infinite amount of stuff to make more.
    There is also Fast Travel, and not needing to worry about 'the mail' in the first place.Lone Wanderer also gives you damage boosts which I find useful to my sniper-ish build.

In the mother of all ironies, I finally found an Instigating weapon... sadly, it was a double-barreled shotgun. And I found a Freezing Hunting Rifle. Not precisely what I had in mind, but it's kitted up as my sniper's rifle. Currently have a Muzzle Brake on it, and a regular Long Scope on it because I don't have Gun Nut 3 yet. And a Calibrated Powerful Receiver, for the same reason.

I found a ton of empty bottles somewhere or another. Some brewery, I think? I dunno, but it was tons of glass.

Also, you can scrap raider armor for parts and get leather from it, which has been useful in making my Shadowed, Deep Pocketed leather outfit.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

Compensator is flat out better than Muzzle Brake. Comp totally reduces horizontal spread. So you only have to point and shoot. (Seriously, has anyone noticed any bullet drop?)

I'm currently in Survival Mode, so no fast travel, and so the Mail is essential.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

Point is I want access to the best parts. then I'll build cool stuff.
    Can't wait to get Codsworth a do-over.

As a sniper I would benefit the most from a melee / close range specialist, I feel. Carrying capacity is nice, too but I think to bring one with me it would have to be able to keep up with me. So no wheels.
    Settlement guardians / workers? Tracks and wheels are very nice, there.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Compensator is flat out better than Muzzle Brake. Comp totally reduces horizontal spread. So you only have to point and shoot. (Seriously, has anyone noticed any bullet drop?)
    I don't think the range of the weapons in Fallout 4 is such that you'd really need to worry about bullet drop anyway...it's not like you can snipe super mutants from a kilometre away, however good your weapon.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

If I can see it, I can one shot it.

Tracks are actually pretty fast. If you want melee/close support, scatter laser on the left, cryo gun on the right. That's a pretty nasty combination.

25. - Top - End - #265

I'm currently in Survival Mode, so no fast travel, and so the Mail is essential.
    I dunno about Survival mode, but usually Provisioners are pretty much invincible (they can only die if you kill them, I think) and their speed doesn't really matter, AFAIK.
    Show
    What this guy said.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

They are, but I prefer to see them armed. And because they're allied with you, if you see them out in the world, you can travel with them for protection for example. On the other hand, Provisioner's only interconnect junk and food, but I can give a provisioner supplies in it's inventory say at Sanctuary, and then pick them up when it reaches Hangman's alley. So they can carry guns and armor and that sort of thing. Not unlike the mail, hence the title.

But the speed was directed at Avilan wanting a companion capable of keeping up with him, or more importantly, rushing ahead and meleeing enemies in and about the facial region. A Mister Handy with Assaultron stealth blades on all it's arms looks rather like a blender on acid.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

Personally, I just want a packhorse, not something that jumps in front of my shot while I'm trying to take down Obnoxious McBaddy. Cannot count the number of times I've sighted an enemy in down my scope, only to have a Loyal Minion jump in front of me to 'save' me, spoiling that shot, and occasionally getting hit in the back of the head for diving into my line of fire at the wrong moment.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

Then go with a support bot build. Sniper laser and heavy flamer. Long engagement range keeps them out of your line of fire. I personally have the opposite feeling. I'd rather see them in front of me, because I've had too many stupid deaths to friendly fire through out the series.

29. - Top - End - #269

They are, but I prefer to see them armed. And because they're allied with you, if you see them out in the world, you can travel with them for protection for example. On the other hand, Provisioner's only interconnect junk and food, but I can give a provisioner supplies in it's inventory say at Sanctuary, and then pick them up when it reaches Hangman's alley. So they can carry guns and armor and that sort of thing. Not unlike the mail, hence the title.
    Ah, I see. I don't play Survival mode, so I just keep pretty much everything I own in the workbench at Red Rocket.

In other news, I finally got around to finishing up the main quest. That nuclear explosion was so satisfying. Now on to Far Harbor, where my #1 objective is "Get a lever-action rifle," followed by "do detective stuff" and "rescue somebody's daughter, I guess? IDK."
    Show
    What this guy said.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

I'm still storing everything at Red Rocket. So it's just a bit of a walk.