New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #32: More Seasons than the Simpsons

Q221 If I have one level in Elemental Savant focusing on Air, thus automatically converting all spells with an energy descriptor to spells with the Electricity, does this allow me to use the Born Of The Three Thunders feat with any spells that have an energy descriptor, or does the spell need to natively be Electricity or Sonic, with Energy Substitution and the like not working for it?

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ettin in the Playground

A 221

Born of the Three Thunders does not care where the energy descriptor comes from.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DEMON View Post
    Q220B to double check the calculation...

So a Bat (dimunitive, no attack, no Weapon Finesse, STR 1) would get Master's BAB +4 size -5 STR +circumstantial bonuses against the target's touch AC?
    ten characters
    Yes.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Q 222

Do Power Word spells require line of effect? And can you provide the rules text to support your answer?

5. - Top - End - #395
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 222 Yes.

The Power Word line of spells are all targeted spells. The rules for line of effect say that you need it for pretty much everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Line of Effect - PHB 3.5, page 176
    You must have a clear line of effect to any target that you cast a spell on or to any space in which you wish to create an effect (such as conjuring a monster). You must have line of effect to the point of origin of any spell you cast, such as the center of a fireball. A burst, cone, cylinder, or emanation spell affects only an area, creatures, or objects to which it has line of effect from its origin (a spherical burst's center point, a cone-shaped burst's starting point, a cylinder's circle, or an emanation's point of origin).
    Targeted spells have the additional requirement that you must be able to see or touch the recipient of the spell.
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2016-10-31 at 01:14 PM.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 223

If you have an advantage on "your next attack", and solely your next attack (for example, a successful feint), and that attack happens to be a trip attempt from a character with improved trip...

If the trip attempt is successful, does the advantage on "your next attack" still prevalent on the following "free" attack granted by the feat, considering its wording? ("you immediately get a melee attack against that opponent as if you hadn’t used your attack for the trip attempt.")
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

7. - Top - End - #397
    Troll in the Playground

A 223 Yes.

Show

It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Troll in the Playground

Q 224

What if any spells can grant power resistance?
    Last edited by Debatra; 2016-11-01 at 05:50 PM.

Show

9. - Top - End - #399
    Ettin in the Playground

A 224

If magic-psionics transparency is on (the default assumption), all spells that grant SR. If not, I cannot find any.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ogre in the Playground

Q225
    Can abilities from the Scorpion Kama somehow be transferred to another weapon, or created with a non-kama weapon?
    Dascarletm, Spinner of Rudiplorked Tales, and Purveyor of Puns
    Thanks to Artman77 for the avatar!
    Extended Signature

11. - Top - End - #401
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Debatra View Post
    Q 224

What if any spells can grant power resistance?
    Off the top of my head, any polymorph-type spell that allows you to gain the new form's special qualities could do this if you morph into a creature with power resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by dascarletm View Post
    Q225
    Can abilities from the Scorpion Kama somehow be transferred to another weapon, or created with a non-kama weapon?
    No.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

A 225 It may not be exactly what you want, but I believe there's another enhancement that can be added to an item that can change the scorpion kama into another weapon. Beware that I don't recall the name of this enhancement and I don't know if scorpion kama's rules are permissive of this workaround.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    A 225 It may not be exactly what you want, but I believe there's another enhancement that can be added to an item that can change the scorpion kama into another weapon. Beware that I don't recall the name of this enhancement and I don't know if scorpion kama's rules are permissive of this workaround.
    If you are talking about the Morphing special ability, that would not help. The scorpion kama becomes whatever other weapon you designate, so it does no longer have the inherent properties of a scorpion kama. For all intents and purposes it is the new weapon (with the enhancement bonus and WSAs of the kama).

14. - Top - End - #404
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright I got another one.

Q226a: Do unarmed strikes count as natural weapons for Deadly Chill's cold damage to apply? (The corpsecrafter feat)
    Q226b: If yes, would that apply to a scorpion kama's damage as well?
    Dascarletm, Spinner of Rudiplorked Tales, and Purveyor of Puns
    Thanks to Artman77 for the avatar!
    Extended Signature

15. - Top - End - #405
    Barbarian in the Playground

Imp

Q 228

A spellcaster is able to concentrate on Telekinesis without a standard action, like via swift concentration or sonorous hum for example - does using the spell to perform a combat maneuver still require an action?
    Last edited by kkplx; 2016-11-05 at 02:37 PM. Reason: ****ed up and forgot the question #

16. - Top - End - #406

Q227 Would the spell Knight Unburdened (The Forge of War) allow a warforged with Adamantine Body to have a 30' move speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Talya View Post
    A guy going by a forum moniker starting with "Darth" asks what amounts to...

"Perhaps you feel you're being treated unfairly?

17. - Top - End - #407
    Ettin in the Playground

A 227

No:
    Quote Originally Posted by ECS p. 50
    However, your base land speed is reduced to 20 feet, and you are considered to be wearing heavy armor.
    Wearing armor does not modify any of your base speeds, so the speed reduction from Adamantine Body is not a standard movement penalty associated with wearing medium or heavy armor and Knight Unburdened cannot let the Warforged ignore it.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Pixie in the Playground

Q228

If I pick a craft skill (weaving, in that case), or a profession skill from Wizard class (which skills include craft (any)) when I get another class that gave me again "craft (any)" or "profession (any)", they (my already get craft and profession) are consider a cross-class skill if i want to get again? Or not because are 'any'? Sorry bad En. Thank you.
    Last edited by Vostok; 2016-11-05 at 08:18 PM.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vostok View Post
    Q228

If I pick a craft skill (weaving, in that case), or a profession skill from Wizard class (which skills include craft (any)) when I get another class that gave me again "craft (any)" or "profession (any)", they (my already get craft and profession) are consider a cross-class skill if i want to get again? Or not because are 'any'? Sorry bad En. Thank you.
    All Craft and Profession skills are class skills for a wizard. You do not need to pick one.

20. - Top - End - #410
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    All Craft and Profession skills are class skills for a wizard. You do not need to pick one.
    I know. I dindt know if I put skill points on that craft or profession from another class that have the craft/profession (any) is count or no as a cross class skill.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Q229

If my character uses Mythic Exemplar (Sunyartra)'s Paragon's Gift, Least and wields a keen greatsword, do the abilities stack multicatively (15-20 threatens crit) or additively (16-20 threatens crit)?

22. - Top - End - #412
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aetis View Post
    Q229

If my character uses Mythic Exemplar (Sunyartra)'s Paragon's Gift, Least and wields a keen greatsword, do the abilities stack multicatively (15-20 threatens crit) or additively (16-20 threatens crit)?
    A 229

It doesn't matter what order you do it in, since most multiplication in D&D is actually addition.

A greatsword has a native crit range of 2 numbers (19 and 20). Making it keen expands that range to 2 + 2 (17, 18, 19, and 20). Adding the Least Paragon's Gift increases it by an additional 1 point.

2 + 2 + 1 or (16 - 20/ x2)
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

23. - Top - End - #413
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A 228 cont.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vostok View Post
    I know. I dindt know if I put skill points on that craft or profession from another class that have the craft/profession (any) is count or no as a cross class skill.
    I cannot tell what you are actually asking here, so possibly going a bit overboard in my answer:

If a skill is a class skill for the class you are taking a level in then skill ranks in it cost 1 for each rank
    If a skill is a cross-class skill for the class you are taking a level in then skill ranks in it cost 2 for each rank (abilities to change this exist, e.g. able learner).

If a skill is a class skill for your current class or any other class you have levels in then the cap for skill ranks is your hit dice + 3 (see below).
    If a skill is not a class skill for your current class or any other class you have levels in then the cap for skill ranks is half of (your hit dice + 3).
    Note: a skill remains on the list of class skills for classes from earlier levels regardless of whether skill ranks were taken in the class.

Craft (any), Profession (any) and Knowledge (any) imply that all craft / profession / knowledge skills are class skills for that class.
    Each skill point put into a rank must have the speciality (e.g. craft (weaving) or knowledge: planes) selected.
    The individual skill specialities then work as normal for the general rules on skill ranks given above.

If you were thinking that the skill cap for a class skill was levels in the class +3 rather that character level +3 (ignoring level adjustments) then you have been misinformed.

Special: it is not clear (or I don't remember) how the special racial/template classes that don't give hit dice at each level work for skill caps.

I hope this helps.

24. - Top - End - #414
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q230 I'm not sure if this kind of question is right for this thread, but, are there any 5th, 6th, or 7th level Druid necromancy spells?

25. - Top - End - #415
    Titan in the Playground

Alright I got another one.

Q226a: Do unarmed strikes count as natural weapons for Deadly Chill's cold damage to apply? (The corpsecrafter feat)
    Yes.

Q226b: If yes, would that apply to a scorpion kama's damage as well?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmdork View Post
    Q230 I'm not sure if this kind of question is right for this thread, but, are there any 5th, 6th, or 7th level Druid necromancy spells?
    Yes.

26. - Top - End - #416

Q 231

Two questions related to Damage Reduction:

A) Does Sneak Attack damage counts among "special effects that accompany the attack" as far as Damage Reduction is concerned?

In other words, do you have to overcome the Damage Reduction with the normal damage of your weapon before the Sneak Attack supplementary damage be counted? Or is it counted with the base damage to overcome the Damage Reduction?

B) The Emerald Razor maneuver (from Tome of Battle) turns an ordinary melee attack into a touch attack. The description of Damage Reduction specifies it doesn't negate touch attacks. Thus, does Emerald Razor allow to ignore Damage Reduction?
    Last edited by St Fan; 2016-11-08 at 09:47 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

27. - Top - End - #417
    Troll in the Playground

A 231B Yes.

Show

28. - Top - End - #418
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A 231 A) Sneak attack adds to the damage inflicted by the weapon for the purposes of the effects of DR.
    E.g. if a weapon does 6 and the Sneak attack adds 7 against DR 10/- then 3 damage (6 + 7 - 10) gets past the DR.

B) Contention Physical damage from a touch attack is still subject to DR, rider effects are not negated even if the DR reduces the physical damage to 0.
    Note the text is that DR does not negate touch attacks - this is not saying that DR does not apply but that the attack is not automatically negated. Since this is in the paragraph about negating rider effects one can see what this is referring to.
    If you really want to argue that the text about negating touch attacks has to apply to the base damage from Emerald Razor then DR would still be able to reduce the damage to minimum 1 as there is nothing saying that damage is not reduced as normal, but I believe this to be an intentionally incorrect reading of the rules.

29. - Top - End - #419
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    but I believe this to be an intentionally incorrect reading of the rules.
    For lack of desire to start a flame war, all I'll say is that you're wrong and I don't appreciate it.

Show

30. - Top - End - #420
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by St Fan View Post
    B) The Emerald Razor maneuver (from Tome of Battle) turns an ordinary melee attack into a touch attack. The description of Damage Reduction specifies it doesn't negate touch attacks. Thus, does Emerald Razor allow to ignore Damage Reduction?
    Damage reduction doesn't care if it's targeting touch AC, regular AC, flat-footed AC, or whatever. What matters is whether it's weapon attack (or a natural attack, or an unarmed attack). Here is the relevant rule:
    Quote Originally Posted by RC 41
    A creature that has damage reduction (DR) ignores some of the hit point damage from weapons, natural weapons, and unarmed attacks that don’t meet certain criteria. Wounds heal immediately, or the weapon bounces off harmlessly, and the attacker knows the attack was ineffective. Damage reduction doesn’t reduce the damage from energy attacks, spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural abilities. Nor does it affect poisons or diseases delivered by inhalation, ingestion, or contact.

Whenever damage reduction completely negates the damage from an attack, it also negates most special effects that accompany the attack, such as injury poison and injury disease. Attacks that deal no damage because of the target’s DR can’t distract a creature from concentrating.
    Energy attacks, spells, and spell-like and supernatural abilities are exempt from damage reduction. Touch attacks are not.