New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #32: More Seasons than the Simpsons

Quote Originally Posted by Metahuman1 View Post
    Q 325: Is there a spell that would allow the caster to throw a melee weapon to make an attack or attacks that deal damage to 1 or more targets?

If so, what book(s) and page numbers are these spells found in/on respectively?
    A 325

If you're talking about using it to throw a melee weapon that you're wielding, I don't know.

If you mean anything, however, there's the spell Cloud of Knives. It's in Player's Handbook II, page 107.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud of Knives
    You conjure a cloud of sharp knives around you.
    The knives float in the air around your upper body, pointing in the direction you look.
    Each round as a free action at the beginning of your turn, you can release one of these knives at any target within 30 feet that you can see.
    This is a ranged attack that uses an attack bonus equal to your caster level + your key ability modifier.
    Each successful hit deals 1d6 points of damage +1 per three caster levels (maximum +5) and threatens a critical hit on a roll of 19-20.
    Damage reduction applies to knife attacks from this spell.
    The knives are treated as magic for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
    Material Component: A knife.
    Optional Material Component:Using a silvered dagger (22 gp) in the casting of this spell allows the knives to overcome damage reduction as if they were both magic and silver, but the knives deal 1 less point of damage.
    Check out my threads:
    Video Game Characters as D&D Characters v2.0
    Anime Characters as D&D Characters v2.0

I never use Psionics in my games.

Avatar by the amazing AsteriskAmp!

Quote Originally Posted by John Longarrow View Post
    Gold Dragon - Go Bard.

Alter Form into Elvis Presley. You are now the KING!

2. - Top - End - #602
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

A 325 additional

Another spell that might do what you want is Whirling Blade from page 129 of Complete Arcane. It only works against targets in a line though, not any targets you want.

It's not a spell, but some of the class features of the Bloodstorm Blade prestige class from Tome of Battle can also let you do this sort of thing.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

The main character (solo campaign) heard about the upcoming execution of his brother for murder, and was on his way to the Count's Keep to stop or delay it.

3. - Top - End - #603
    Troll in the Playground

A 325 Additional

There's also Blood Wind from SpC 33. It lets the subject make a full attack with its natural weapons as if they were thrown weapons with a 20' range increment.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

4. - Top - End - #604
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ruethgar View Post
    Re: A 321 But the curse of lycanthropy is a monster ability whose application is based on size which Jotunbrud increases for the purposes of whether or not it is applicable just like it does for Swallow Whole and Constrict.
    A 321 continued
    The special attack would affect you but the template could not be applied due to not being a legal target for it.

5. - Top - End - #605
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by erok0809 View Post
    A 325 additional

Another spell that might do what you want is Whirling Blade from page 129 of Complete Arcane. It only works against targets in a line though, not any targets you want.
    Whirling Blade looks like it does what I need. Thanks! =)
    "I Burn!"

6. - Top - End - #606
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 326

How does the metamagic feat maximize spell affect the spell ice axe?

7. - Top - End - #607
    Ettin in the Playground

A 326

It does not. The spell has no variable numeric effects. It only creates one axe with certain properties. Attacking with it and thus using the properties is not part of the casting and thus maximize spell does not apply.

8. - Top - End - #608
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    A 326

It does not. The spell has no variable numeric effects. It only creates one axe with certain properties. Attacking with it and thus using the properties is not part of the casting and thus maximize spell does not apply.
    I'd like to dispute this answer. The spell creates an axe which deals a variable amount of energy damage specified in its description (2d12), which increases with caster level and is subject to being negated by spell resistance. The damage is a part of the spell's description and would be affected, regardless of whether attacking with it is part of the casting.

By your logic, a Scorching Ray could not be maximized, because the spell has no variable numeric effects. It only creates rays with certain properties, which you attack with. And you could Maximize an Inflict spell or something similar, but if you held the charge for a round then it would lose its metamagic effect because you aren't attacking as part of the casting.

9. - Top - End - #609
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vaern View Post
    I'd like to dispute this answer. The spell creates an axe which deals a variable amount of energy damage specified in its description (2d12), which increases with caster level and is subject to being negated by spell resistance. The damage is a part of the spell's description and would be affected, regardless of whether attacking with it is part of the casting.

By your logic, a Scorching Ray could not be maximized, because the spell has no variable numeric effects. It only creates rays with certain properties, which you attack with. And you could Maximize an Inflict spell or something similar, but if you held the charge for a round then it would lose its metamagic effect because you aren't attacking as part of the casting.
    I never claimed that Scorching Ray could be maximized. Holding the charge on inflict spells or similar does not matter. The damage still is a direct effect of the spell even if it occurs later.

I give you a counter example. By your reasoning maximizing Summon Monster I or Polymorph would lead to summons dealing maximum damage etc. or the target's new form dealing maximum damage.

10. - Top - End - #610

BardGuy

I give you a counter example. By your reasoning maximizing Summon Monster I or Polymorph would lead to summons dealing maximum damage etc. or the target's new form dealing maximum damage.
    By my reasoning, neither of those spells would be affected by Maximize Spell as neither contains any variable numeric effects in the spell description to affect. They either summon or transform something into a creature whose attributes are determined by the Monster Manual, not the spell itself.

11. - Top - End - #611
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Q 327

If a players does not declare the intent to use power attack at the begining of their action, can they latter declare the intent to use power attack for an attack of opportunity?

For instance a fighter drinks a potion for his standard action and so does not declare he will use power attack.

If the answer is that must declare before taking his action on his initiative, can he declare he will use the power attack option even if he drinks a potion as his standard action? (Presumably to prepare for the possibility of an AOO)

12. - Top - End - #612
    Ettin in the Playground

A 327

You must declare the power attack penalty on your action and before making any attack rolls. It does not require you to make any attack rolls afterwards. So, yes you can drink a potion and declare the penalty, hoping to get an AoO.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    On your action, before making attack rolls for a round, you may choose to subtract a number from all melee attack rolls and add the same number to all melee damage rolls.

13. - Top - End - #613

Q 328

Is there a feat which allows you to gain a spell-like ability of your choosing relative to your level?
    Check out my threads:

Gold Dragon - Go Bard.

14. - Top - End - #614
    Titan in the Playground

A 328

The best answer I can think of is Innate Spell (FRCS), which allows you to turn a spell you can cast into an at will SLA.

[edit] Apparently there are multiple different versions of this feat, not sure what the most up to date one is - maybe Complete Arcane or PGTF? [/edit]

15. - Top - End - #615
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Q329: Where are Homunculi discussed, especially when it comes to advancing their HD and anything like HD caps? Just the individual creature entries and the Artificer class feature, or is there another section I'm forgetting about that deals with them, especially the Ebberonian Homunculi?

Q330: Just what does the Advancement section in a creature entry mean in the context of constructs which can be created with more HD? For example, both baseline Homunculus and the Iron Defender have advancement lines in their creature entries that indicate 6 HD as some sort of maximum. In the case of the Golems that appear in the SRD, it seems to indicate at what number of HD they will have to be advanced another size category as well as possibly a max HD cap?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

16. - Top - End - #616
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #32: More Seasons than the Simpsons

Q 331

Not 100% this is a RAW question as such, but...

What template(s) can be applied to a Fey to change it's type to Outsider and give it the Evil subtype?

17. - Top - End - #617
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xaroth View Post
    Q 328

Is there a feat which allows you to gain a spell-like ability of your choosing relative to your level?
    Eternal Hero

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    A 328

The best answer I can think of is Innate Spell (FRCS), which allows you to turn a spell you can cast into an at will SLA.

[edit] Apparently there are multiple different versions of this feat, not sure what the most up to date one is - maybe Complete Arcane or PGTF? [/edit]
    The Complete Arcane version is the most recent.

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Q 331

Not 100% this is a RAW question as such, but...

What template(s) can be applied to a Fey to change it's type to Outsider and give it the Evil subtype?
    There is no template that can do this. However, there are combinations of templates that can. Useful resource

18. - Top - End - #618

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Q329: Where are Homunculi discussed, especially when it comes to advancing their HD and anything like HD caps? Just the individual creature entries and the Artificer class feature, or is there another section I'm forgetting about that deals with them, especially the Ebberonian Homunculi?
    The Homunculus can be found in MM1. Eberronian Homonculi are found in the Eberron Campaign Setting and Magic of Eberron books. Both follow the standard rules of advancement found in MM1 (under monstrous advancement by RHD) and follow the exceptions written under their monster entries. For Eberronian Homunculi, also refer to the Artificer section (if you're using Artificer to make them).

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Q330: Just what does the Advancement section in a creature entry mean in the context of constructs which can be created with more HD? For example, both baseline Homunculus and the Iron Defender have advancement lines in their creature entries that indicate 6 HD as some sort of maximum. In the case of the Golems that appear in the SRD, it seems to indicate at what number of HD they will have to be advanced another size category as well as possibly a max HD cap?
    You can't advance a creature by RHD by more than the limit imposed by their "Advancement" section; for example, you can't make a Dedicated Wright with more than 3 RHD. Advancing a monster by RHD may cause an increase in size; for example, a Clay Golem becomes Huge at 19 RHD.
    The Forsaker: A 3.5e revamp.
    Spoiler: CharOP
    Show
    IC 56: Bolivar d'Kundarak (Silver)
    IC 76: Xander Marchand (Silver)
    IC 82: North and East and Gripp (Tied for Gold!)
    VC 17: Liridon (Silver)
    JW 5: Nyan (Gold)
    ZS 24: Isabel (Gold)

19. - Top - End - #619

Q 332

A cleric with an element domain can turn/rebuke creatures besides undead; do these turn attempts use a separate pool of turn undead uses?

Q 333

If a rogue is swallowed whole by a monster, the monster then must be flat-footed against the rogue's attacks. "The rogue must be able to see the target well enough to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach such a spot". Sneak attack or no?

20. - Top - End - #620
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eladrinblade View Post
    Q 332

A cleric with an element domain can turn/rebuke creatures besides undead; do these turn attempts use a separate pool of turn undead uses?
    No, they use a separate pool of turning uses that are not turn undead.

Quote Originally Posted by Eladrinblade View Post
    Q 333

If a rogue is swallowed whole by a monster, the monster then must be flat-footed against the rogue's attacks. "The rogue must be able to see the target well enough to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach such a spot". Sneak attack or no?
    The target is not flat-footed, but it is denied its Dexterity bonus to AC. This will enable sneak attack, provided it is not too dark for the rogue to see.

21. - Top - End - #621

Q 334

Via the feat 'Delay Spell' is it possible to cause numerous spells to occur on the exact same turn, if used in Time Stop?

Example: Sellek activates Time Stop, and rolls 3 rounds. In his next turn, Sellek casts a delayed Fireball by 4 rounds. After that, he casts delayed Enlarge Person, Mass by 3 rounds. He then follows it with a delayed Lightning Bolt by 2 rounds, then spends his last turn readying an action. Would a fireball and lightning bolt hit at the same time as everybody being enlarged?

Q 334.5

Do rounds spent in time stop count towards the counter of Delay Spell, if Delay Spell is used before hand?

Example: Sellek delays Fireball by 4 rounds. On his next turn, he casts Time Stop and rolls 5 rounds. Would the delayed Fireball fire within the duration of Time Stop?
    Check out my threads:

Gold Dragon - Go Bard.

22. - Top - End - #622
    Troll in the Playground

A 334

Yes.

A 334.5

No.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

23. - Top - End - #623
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Q 335

Can you plane shift to a dead magic plane?

Q 335.5

Can you plane shift out from a dead magic plane?

Q 336

Which planes have the dead magic trait in D&D cosmology?

24. - Top - End - #624

Q 337

Do Undead have 12-sided hit die, even if they have levels in a class? For example, would an Undead Wizard gain d4 HP, or d12 HP?
    Check out my threads:

Gold Dragon - Go Bard.

25. - Top - End - #625
    Ettin in the Playground

A 337

That depends on the undead in question. Some templates have a line somewhat like "change all existing and future HD to D12" and others only change the existing ones.

Again others (which are not templates) do not change the HD from class levels at all.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2016-12-25 at 08:46 AM.

26. - Top - End - #626

A 337

That depends on the undead in question. Some templates have a line somewhat like "change all existing and future HD to D12" and others only change the existing ones.

Again others (which are not templates) do not change the HD from class levels at all.
    Q 337.5

The Undead in question is a Boneclaw. What happens then?
    Check out my threads:

Gold Dragon - Go Bard.

27. - Top - End - #627
    Ettin in the Playground

A 337.5

Boneclaw is not a template so the normal rules apply. The creature gets 10-22 D12s for the undead HD and whatever dice the class usually has for class levels.

28. - Top - End - #628
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 338

how much xp will I have if:
    1) I am LA+4 and using buyoff at the best lv(minimum xp lost).
    2) I got 46,000 in total.

29. - Top - End - #629
    Ettin in the Playground

A 338

1) There is no best level as you can only ever use the buy off at one specific level. Its when you are about to take the current LA*3 the class level. So 12th with LA +4, which is ECL 16 unless you also have RHD. This will cost you 15000XP bringing your total to 105000 and change.

Then reducing your LA from 3 to 2 can be done at ECL 24 (or 21 class levels) and so on.

2) 46000 XP puts you at ECL 10, so that is not enough to even start the process.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2016-12-26 at 07:18 AM.

30. - Top - End - #630
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Q 339
    Are there rules for how much weight a character can throw?
    The Greatest Threads Of GiantITP (in my opinion):
    A story of the exact wrong way to run a campaign.
    The best thread derailment of all time.
    The "canonical" list of Mostly Useless Magic Items.
    A ridiculous campaign.
    Weird dreams.

Working on a laptop connected to the Internet is like writing on a typewriter welded to a circus. -Unknown

My Nexus character