New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #32: More Seasons than the Simpsons

Quote Originally Posted by WhamBamSam View Post
    Q508 Is setting a weapon against a charge distinct from readying an action to attack a charging enemy? In particular, can an initiator with a weapon that can be set against a charge, such as a longspear, ready an action to use a strike maneuver against a charging enemy and still deal double damage for readying the longspear against a charge?
    A508 probably not and probably yes
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Weapons Readied against a Charge: Spears, tridents, and certain other piercing weapons deal double damage when readied (set) and used against a charging character.
    It looks (the rules are not clear) that the so-called "setting against a charge" is 'readying to attack a charging opponent' - thus they are the same action.
    However, nowhere does it state that such an attack has to be a basic standard attack, so it if someone readies to attack an charging opponent with a maneuver, then that is 'setting the weapon againt a charge'. In this case the DM will have to adjudicate what gets doubled and what does not, the general rule for criticals (of only double fixed bonuses and not bonus dice) probably applies, but when the strike replaces the damage done things become less obvious (I would probably rule for doubling the replacement damage).

Note: this thread is entirely answered by normal board members who think they know the answer, as such if a question does not get answered that usually means that no-one is confident as to what it is. As such, whilst questions can get missed, please don't bump one quite so fast.

2. - Top - End - #962
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Thought of another one after posting my previous..

Q 517 Suppose a Rogue is holding a dagger in one hand, and a one-handed ranged weapon(such as a hand crossbow, or a pistol) in the other. The Rogue has the Point Blank Shot and Precise Shot feats. An enemy is in an adjacent square. An ally with a sword is on the opposite side of the enemy.

a - The Rogue decides to shoot the enemy. Does the Rogue get +2 for flanking? Does he get sneak attack damage if he hits? If the enemy takes his AoO in response to the Rogue making a ranged attack, and hits, does this threaten to spoil his shot? If so, is the Rogue entitled to a Concentration check to resist?

b - The enemy attempts to move away without withdrawing or tumbling, provoking an Attack of Opportunity. Can the Rogue use the ranged weapon to make the AoO, or can he only use the dagger?

3. - Top - End - #963
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 517a

1. The +2 bonus from flanking only counts on melee attacks.
    2. This will not enable you to Sneak Attack with a ranged weapon.
    3. Getting hit by an Attack of Opportunity does not normally cause your own action to fail (spellcasting is the exception, not the rule).

A 517b

You do not threaten an area with a ranged weapon, so you can't normally take Attacks of Opportunity with one.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

4. - Top - End - #964
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

Q 518 If I cast a spell such as wish that allows me to emulate other spells, can I emulate a spell with metamagic applied to it?

5. - Top - End - #965
    Bugbear in the Playground

A518
    As long as the modified spell level doesn't exceed the limit set by Wish/Miracle.

Q519
    When two feats/abilities contradict each other, which takes precedence?
    Boomerang Ricochet: "If the first target is hit by a sneak attack with a boomerang under the effect of this feat, the second target is not also vulnerable to a sneak attack on the ricochet."
    Sneak Attack of Opportunity: "Any attack of opportunity the character makes is considered a sneak attack."

6. - Top - End - #966
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Q520: Which source(s) detail what happens to a familiar whose master dies?

I seem to recall that Tome and Blood from 3.0 addressed it by saying they have the familiar abilities of a familiar of a master three(two?) levels lower than their master was at the time of death. I'm not sure about the exact source, but I am fairly sure that it was something about having lower level familiar abilities.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2017-02-11 at 05:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

7. - Top - End - #967

A 519

The more specific one, and of those two, Boomerang Ricochet.
    D&D 3.0 and 3.5 SRDs

Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    I'm honestly surprised at how often I spawn new sig's. Am I really that quotable?
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaMyconid View Post
    What do you mean it's not that great?

It lets you reload your greatsword.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Neutral Evil is Evil untainted by concern over Law or Chaos. It is Evil in its purest form, much like NG is Good in its purest form, LN is Law in its purest form, and CN is murderhoboing in its purest form.

8. - Top - End - #968
    Troll in the Playground

Q 521 What if any methods exist to extend the range of a Familiar/Animal Companion/etc. Share Spells ability?

EDIT: I have now been made aware of the Companion Spellbond feat, but am still curious as to other potential options.
    Last edited by Debatra; 2017-02-12 at 03:20 PM.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

9. - Top - End - #969
    Titan in the Playground

A 521

The Companion Spellbond feat (PHB2) increases the range for Animal Companions. I am not aware of any other similar things, although Google suggests there's something in a Dragon issue that vastly extends the range for a familiar.

10. - Top - End - #970
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SirNibbles View Post
    A518
    As long as the modified spell level doesn't exceed the limit set by Wish/Miracle.
    A 518 Contention

Neither Wish nor Miracle allows to simulate a spell prepared/cast in a non-standard manner. Wish has the loop hole of "unsafe" wishes, but Miracle does not. Whether it falls under Miracle's powerful request is in the hands of the DM.

Additionally, very few metamagic feat actually change the spell level of a spell, they merely change the minimum spell slot required to prepare/cast it.

11. - Top - End - #971
    Titan in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #32: More Seasons than the Simpsons

A 521

There also the Enspell Familiar feat from Dragon Compendium, increasing the range to 1 mile.

12. - Top - End - #972
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q 522

Can you both Quicken and Delay a spell at the same time?

Q 523

Does this allow the user to set another delayed spell in the same round, if so?
    Last edited by Xaroth; 2017-02-13 at 06:06 AM.
    Check out my threads:
    Video Game Characters as D&D Characters v2.0
    Anime Characters as D&D Characters v2.0

I never use Psionics in my games.

Avatar by the amazing AsteriskAmp!

Quote Originally Posted by John Longarrow View Post
    Gold Dragon - Go Bard.

Alter Form into Elvis Presley. You are now the KING!

13. - Top - End - #973
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xaroth View Post
    Q 522

Can you both Quicken and Delay a spell at the same time?

Q 523

Does this allow the user to set another delayed spell in the same round, if so?
    A 522: Yes, you can.

A 523: Yes, this works.

It's a central part of absolute damage scry and die. Thanks to them, you can get 10 Fireballs during one Time Stop. Or 10 Chain Lightnings. Really, any combination of 10 spells you feel like during a Time Stop.

14. - Top - End - #974

Q 524

From the Player Handbook II, the Cloaked Strike maneuver of the Combat Cloak Expert feat read as a slightly superior version of Improved Feint (which still doesn't mean much). However, there is one part that makes me ponder...

"On the second round, you make a Bluff check opposed by your foe's Sense Motive check as you use a move action to draw your weapon."

If you have the Quick Draw feat, you can usually draw a weapon as a free action. Can this be combined with the above to make the bluff check as a free action?
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

15. - Top - End - #975
    Ettin in the Playground

A524

From a pure RAW perspective no, you have to use a move action to draw your weapon to use cloaked strike.
    Last edited by Hamste; 2017-02-13 at 12:59 PM.

Spoiler: Giant in the Playground Hearthstone Champion
    Show

16. - Top - End - #976
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Telekinesis

Q525.
    Can Telekinesis vary between modes in a single casting? E.g. sustained force round 1, combat manuveur round 2 etc.
    Last edited by Stewbert; 2017-02-14 at 03:20 AM.

17. - Top - End - #977

BardGuy

Q526
    Genesis says that the initial casting of the spell causes a demi-plane to form, extending its radius outward one foot per day until it reaches its maximum radius of 180 feet.
    Subsequent castings after the plane reaches its initial maximum size increase its radius by 60 feet.

Is the growth caused by subsequent castings instantaneous upon competition of the spell, as per the spell's stat block? Or does it follow the one-foot-per-day growth rate of the initial casting's description?

18. - Top - End - #978

Q527
    The Berserker weapon enhancement [MICp29] says, "a berserker weapon deals an extra 1d8 points of damage on any successful attack while you are raging" and not "on a successful hit" the way most damage-bonus enhancements do. Does this mean it would do damage while touch attacking an opponent for a trip? Consider a flail or whip with this enhancement.

19. - Top - End - #979
    Ettin in the Playground

A 527

No. You do not get extra damage, when there is no damage to add it to. The touch attack initiating a trip attempt does not do any damage.

20. - Top - End - #980
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    A 527

No. You do not get extra damage, when there is no damage to add it to. The touch attack initiating a trip attempt does not do any damage.
    To which the response is Spiked Armor. Or does that only add damage to Grapples?

21. - Top - End - #981
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 528

Quote Originally Posted by Morphic tide View Post
    To which the response is Spiked Armor. Or does that only add damage to Grapples?
    A 528

Spiked armor cannot be used to initiate a grapple or trip. Even if it could the touch attack still wouldn't do damage and so the extra damage would not apply. If you mean dealing extra damage later it is a bit more complicated. A grapple check is not performed with the weapon, so the enchantment does not trigger. On top of that a grapple check is only "like an attack roll" it is not classified as an attack roll. During a grapple you could use the spiked armour as a light weapon and make the appropriate attack roll (with the -4 penalty) and benefit from the enchantment.

22. - Top - End - #982
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    Q 528

A 528

Spiked armor cannot be used to initiate a grapple or trip. Even if it could the touch attack still wouldn't do damage and so the extra damage would not apply. If you mean dealing extra damage later it is a bit more complicated. A grapple check is not performed with the weapon, so the enchantment does not trigger. On top of that a grapple check is only "like an attack roll" it is not classified as an attack roll. During a grapple you could use the spiked armour as a light weapon and make the appropriate attack roll (with the -4 penalty) and benefit from the enchantment.
    I know that, it's that the spikes do add damage to the grapple without any hoops, just semi-confusing wording.

23. - Top - End - #983
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morphic tide View Post
    I know that, it's that the spikes do add damage to the grapple without any hoops, just semi-confusing wording.
    As I said, a grapple check is not an attack roll, so the enchantment is not triggered.

24. - Top - End - #984

Q 529

For the Uncanny Trickster prestige class (Complete Scoundrel), about the "+1 level of existing class features" ability:

A) Does it applies only to core classes, of can it be added to levels in another prestige class?

B) If the answer to the above is "yes", what happens if you try to apply it to a prestige class you've already reached max level in?
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

25. - Top - End - #985
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A 529 The general answer is "undefined".

A) it is normally understood that this can be applied to prestige classes not just base classes. Given the absence of text contradicting this, this is a fairly firm "probably RAW" answer.

B) Again, undefined. This trick is often used (with Legacy Champion) to extend things like hellfire warlock's +2d6 hellfire damage per level beyond the 3 levels of the actual class, but so far as I can tell that is not RAW, just wishful thinking. My opinion is that "no it cannot" because the ability of the extra levels are undefined (so the abilities of a hellfire warlock 4 are [null] even if an ability says "Increases every level") but this is my opinion and therefore is also not RAW.

The question probably comes down to "what suits the general optimization level of your group?"

(Note: Core classes are those in the PHB and DMG so includes some prestige classes.)

26. - Top - End - #986
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 530

Let's imagine that I create Human Fighter 4/Monk 4.
    Can't I attack with a greataxe and kick at the same time? (the kick being an off-hand weapon)

27. - Top - End - #987
    Ettin in the Playground

A 529 Contention

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    A 529 The general answer is "undefined".

A) it is normally understood that this can be applied to prestige classes not just base classes. Given the absence of text contradicting this, this is a fairly firm "probably RAW" answer.
    What's undefined about that? Class encompasses base classes and prestige classes. The class feature clearly allows you to choose any class you belonged to before becoming an Uncanny Trickster.

28. - Top - End - #988
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Dahl View Post
    Q 530

Let's imagine that I create Human Fighter 4/Monk 4.
    Can't I attack with a greataxe and kick at the same time? (the kick being an off-hand weapon)
    A 530 While not literally at the same time, you don't even have to be a Monk to do that. You just need at least +6 BAB (and therefore have multiple attacks).

I'm not sure about the foot counting as an off-hand weapon though.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

29. - Top - End - #989
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfPirate

Q 531: Does shock trooper's directed bullrush ability add to the damage of the 5th level Monk of the Enabled Hand (Dragon Compendium) Dragon Tail Slap 5th level ability?

Q 532: Can two or more Supernatural abilities of a Monk of the Enabled Hand be activated for the same attack?

Q 533: Is it possibe to use the MotEH supernatural abilities during a charge?

Q 534: Is it possible to crit with a bull rush? If so how would this crit affect damage from a bull rush, such as Charging Minotaur, Dungeoncrasher Fighter, and MotEH?
    Last edited by Aggressive_Pear; 2017-02-16 at 12:28 AM.

30. - Top - End - #990
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aggressive_Pear View Post
    Q 531: Does shock trooper's directed bullrush ability add to the damage of the 5th level Monk of the Enabled Hand (Dragon Compendium) Dragon Tail Slap 5th level ability?
    A 531

Yes, but as it's a tactical maneuver you should declare it before the attack.

Edit: I misread your question, Directed Bull Rush states nowhere that it has any effect on damage, therefore no.

Q 532: Can two or more Supernatural abilities of a Monk of the Enabled Hand be activated for the same attack?
    A 532

No.

Q 533: Is it possible to use the MotEH supernatural abilities during a charge?
    A 533

I'm going to say ask your DM for this one.

Q 534: Is it possible to crit with a bull rush? If so how would this crit affect damage from a bull rush, such as Charging Minotaur, Dungeoncrasher Fighter, and MotEH?
    A 534

You multiply the damage as you normally would and then proceed to add the additional damage. The 2d6 + Strength modifier from Charging Minotaur would not be multiplied, for example.

Unless you mean with the opposed strength check. In which case you just succeed, damage isn't multiplied.
    Last edited by Xaroth; 2017-02-16 at 05:49 AM.
    Check out my threads:
    Video Game Characters as D&D Characters v2.0
    Anime Characters as D&D Characters v2.0

I never use Psionics in my games.

Avatar by the amazing AsteriskAmp!

Quote Originally Posted by John Longarrow View Post
    Gold Dragon - Go Bard.

Alter Form into Elvis Presley. You are now the KING!