New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 163132333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1497
  1. - Top - End - #1201
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #32: More Seasons than the Simpsons

Maybe not simple, but...

SRD says that "If a character’s Constitution score changes enough to alter his or her Constitution modifier, the character’s hit points also increase or decrease accordingly."

If I'm not mistaken, a wizard with 3, 4 or 5 CON has a -4 or -3 Constitution modifier and gets 1HP per level (since it's a minimum).

Q636: If a wizard with 3 CON manages to reach level 8 and increases is CON to 4. Do his HP go from 8 to 16? And to 24 if he finds a +2 amulet of health in addition?
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

Thanks to neoseph7 for my avatar (Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man)

2. - Top - End - #1202
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 637
    When augmenting a psionic power, do you (a) choose how to Augment it, or do you (b) just choose by how much you Augment it?

Example: Defensive Precognition says:
    You can augment this power in one or both of the following ways.
    1.For every 3 additional power points you spend, the insight bonus gained increases by 1.
    2.If you spend 6 additional power points, you can manifest this power as a swift action
    So, by going by (a) you can choose any combination of 1.) and 2.) as long as the total is <= ML. For instance a ML 10 character could manifest as a Swift Action (+6) and increase the Bonus by one (+3).
    OR by going with (b) the same character chooses to Augment the power by 9 and thus manifests as a Swift Action and increases the Bonus by 3.

Which one is correct?

3. - Top - End - #1203
    Troll in the Playground

A 636

No. In this case, there's no functional difference between 1d4-4 and 1d4-3.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

4. - Top - End - #1204
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

A637:
    Some powers allow for that but with this one you will have to choose. The 6 power points to make it swift are separate from the 3 power point option and does not also increase the insight bonus.

5. - Top - End - #1205

BarbarianGuy

Q 638
    A Glabrezu has an attack routine of 2 Pincers +20, 2 Claws +18, and Bite +18. It also has Improved Grab, a BAB of +12, and a Grapple modifier of +30.

If it hits someone with its first Pincer attack, does it have to give up its other attacks to initiate Improved Grab? Does the answer change if it initiates its improved grab and takes the –20 penalty to not be considered grappled?

Q 639
    If a Glabrezu initiates a grapple with Improved Grab against a single opponent, and doesn't take the –20 penalty, can he on a later turn transition to "not grappled, taking –20 penalty" when more foes show up? Can he do this without restriction? Or does it require a grapple check to change status to "not grappled, taking –20 penalty?"

Q 640
    If a Glabrezu is grappling a single opponent in one pincer, taking the –20 penalty to not be considered grappled, how many combined grapples and attacks can he perform in one turn?

Can he make three grapple checks to "damage your opponent," inflicting pincer damage each time, at Grapple bonuses of +10/+5/+0, and make one pincer attack (+20), two claw attacks (+18), and one bite attack (+18) against other, non-grappled opponents?

6. - Top - End - #1206

Q 641

The "Shadow Double" spell from Drow of the Underdark is interesting for Assassins or Rogues since it can provide a flanking bonus even you have no other ally at hand. In fact, it is more interesting for this than the meager 1 point of strength damage a round it can inflict, especially considered the first hit allow a Will disbelief save from the victim (and it's just a 1st-level spell for Assassins, thus it can't have a very high save). As such, it is best if it doesn't hit if the caster want to sneak-attack. So, my questions...

A: The spell specify that the Shadow Double attack once on the caster's turn, with no further precision. So, can the caster choose when this attack will happen? (That is, probably picking after a full-attack of his own.)

B:The Shadow Double attacks an adjacent target chosen by the caster. Can it be directed to miss, or just pretend to attack, in order to get the flanking bonus but not risking a disbelief save?
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

7. - Top - End - #1207

BarbarianGuy

Q 642

A player of mine is a Psychic Warrior who just picked up Empathic Feedback (text below), with is a personal range [Mind-Affecting] power that doesn't allow SR or a save.

If a grapple monster initiates a grapple via Improved Grab, the initial attack would obviously cause damage to the monster. Would subsequent grapple checks to damage the PC trigger feedback damage to the grapple monster? Basically, is a grapple check a melee attack?

You empathically share your pain and suffering with your attacker. Each time a creature strikes you in melee, it takes damage equal to the amount it dealt to you or 5 points, whichever is less. This damage is empathic in nature, so powers and abilities the attacker may have such as damage reduction and regeneration do not lessen or change this damage. The damage from empathic feedback has no type, so even if you took fire damage from a creature that has immunity to fire, empathic feedback will damage your attacker.

Augment
    For every additional power point you spend, this power’s damage potential increases by 1 point.
    Q643

If a Xill is knocked unconscious, and becomes/is made stable during the two rounds it takes for it to shift from the Material Plane to the Ethereal Plane, what happens?
    Does it become completely Material, does it become completely Ethereal? Or does it and its equipment remain stuck half-way between planes, and thus be able to be manipulated by creatures on either plane?

Planewalk (Su)
    These planar travelers like to slip between the folds of space to attack enemies as though from thin air. They can cross from the Ethereal Plane with a move action but take 2 rounds to cross back, during which time they are immobile. As a xill fades away, it becomes harder to hit: Opponents have a 20% miss chance in the first round and a 50% miss chance in the second. A xill can planewalk with a willing or helpless creature.
    The Xill's Planewalk ability is a Supernatural ability, which is normally a standard action unless stated otherwise. The ability states it takes two rounds to go back to the Ethereal Plane.

Well, the Xill is now unconscious, so he can't complete the action. It's a supernatural ability, which doesn't require concentration to maintain, unlike SLA's, so it doesn't fail. What happens?
    Last edited by ksbsnowowl; 2017-04-06 at 10:17 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1208
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q. 644

The feat Imbue Weapon says that "you gain a bonus on your attack and damage rolls equal to +1 per four cleric levels you possess (minimum +1).". As a second level cleric you would receive a +1 bonus. What would your bonus be at 4th level? Precedent for ruling would be much appreciated.

9. - Top - End - #1209
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Goladar View Post
    Q. 644

The feat Imbue Weapon says that "you gain a bonus on your attack and damage rolls equal to +1 per four cleric levels you possess (minimum +1).". As a second level cleric you would receive a +1 bonus. What would your bonus be at 4th level? Precedent for ruling would be much appreciated.
    +1, of course, because you are clearly at a Cleric level value of 4. The minimum is just that: a minimum. It's not an additional bonus, but rather the bonus cannot go below that number. More important is what it's at when at level 6 or 7. Does it round up, or down?

10. - Top - End - #1210

A 644

Until you have 8 cleric levels you get +1. Once you reach 8th level cleric you get +2. There is no rounding for this formula. If it said +1/4 per level you might have to worry about rounding, but +1 per 4 levels leaves no room for rounding to occur.
    D&D 3.0 and 3.5 SRDs

Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    I'm honestly surprised at how often I spawn new sig's. Am I really that quotable?
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaMyconid View Post
    What do you mean it's not that great?

It lets you reload your greatsword.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Neutral Evil is Evil untainted by concern over Law or Chaos. It is Evil in its purest form, much like NG is Good in its purest form, LN is Law in its purest form, and CN is murderhoboing in its purest form.

11. - Top - End - #1211
    Titan in the Playground

Q645
    For the "Versatile Combatant" feat from Drow of the Underdark - does the second paragraph of the Benefit (hand crossbow does not provoke) apply all the time, or only when wielding a rapier in the other hand?

12. - Top - End - #1212

Q 646

When using total defense, can you make AoO's?

13. - Top - End - #1213
    Ettin in the Playground

A 646

No.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    You can’t make attacks of opportunity while using total defense.

14. - Top - End - #1214
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

A642:
    A grapple check is a combat maneuver. It DOES count as an attack roll but it is not a "melee attack."
    A643:
    That is a tough one. I could not find exact RAW for that scenario. My analysis is it goes ethereal at the end. Nothing says the power is disrupted on going unconcious. It does not follow the rules of spells as it is not a spell like ability.
    My instinct would be to rule it as it dropping back into where it started, but RAW I see nothing that stops it from shifting.

15. - Top - End - #1215
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Q647: Can you make a trip attempt as an AoO?

Q648: Can you make a grapple attempt as an AoO?

Q649: Does Protection from Evil prevent a Feeblemind spell from working?

Q650: When do you have to declare that you are using the teleport ability of a Shadowcloak (DotU)? When the attack is declared but before the roll? After the roll has been made and knowing the result? What, if any, impact does a displacement property on armor have in the progression of events?

16. - Top - End - #1216
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 647 & 648

Yes, trip and grapple attempts can both be made in place of a melee attack, including Attacks of Opportunity.

A 649

No, because feeblemind isn't a form of ongoing control.

A 650?

I can't find anything in the rules that says immediate actions can backtrack events that have already happened, so I'd say that you'd have to do it when an enemy attacks you but before you find out if it hits if you want to avoid the risk of taking damage. Being under a displacement effect wouldn't change this, because you'd effectively have to choose whether to activate your getaway or trust in the displacement to protect you (similar to how you have to choose whether to activate Shadow Cloak's teleportation or concealment effects).
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2017-04-08 at 03:02 PM.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

17. - Top - End - #1217
    Halfling in the Playground

Imp

Q 651
    Is a Dart Thruster a one handed weapon ?
    Q 652
    Does a crossbowblade (CSco) prevent you from getting AoOs when firing in melee ?
    Last edited by badgerman; 2017-04-09 at 01:48 AM.

18. - Top - End - #1218
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by badgerman View Post
    Q 651
    Is a Dart Thruster a one handed weapon ?
    Q 652
    Does a crossbowblade (CSco) prevent you from getting AoOs when firing in melee ?
    A651: Nothing says it is 1 handed, so it defaults to two handed.

A652: Nothing says it does, so it defaults to standard rules so no, it does not prevent an aoo.

19. - Top - End - #1219
    Ettin in the Playground

A 651 Contention

It is a ranged weapon, so it is neither one-handed nor two-handed, a classification that only exists for melee weapons. Whether it requires one or two hands to use should be in the description. since it is not, ask your DM. There is no default for ranged weapons.

A 652 Addendum

I'm not sure if you mean the crossbow bayonets or the hand crossbow blade, but it does not matter anyways. Not only do the descriptions not mention removing the ability to make AoOs, the descriptions explicitly tell us as which melee weapon the blades work (with applicable restrictions). Wielding a shortspear, spear or dagger allows you to threaten adjacent squares and thus allows you to make AoOs into those.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2017-04-09 at 11:34 AM.

20. - Top - End - #1220
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

Q621 (Repeat)

What happens when a 2 HD creature with the unseelie fey template uses a scroll of Iron Body?
    Last edited by Draculstar; 2017-04-09 at 03:32 PM.

21. - Top - End - #1221
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    A 651 Contention

It is a ranged weapon, so it is neither one-handed nor two-handed, a classification that only exists for melee weapons. Whether it requires one or two hands to use should be in the description. since it is not, ask your DM. There is no default for ranged weapons.

A 652 Addendum

I'm not sure if you mean the crossbow bayonets or the hand crossbow blade, but it does not matter anyways. Not only do the descriptions not mention removing the ability to make AoOs, the descriptions explicitly tell us as which melee weapon the blades work (with applicable restrictions). Wielding a shortspear, spear or dagger allows you to threaten adjacent squares and thus allows you to make AoOs into those.
    It describes itself as a "crossbow for darts." So it would default to the rules for a crossbow. Looking at those rules, they CAN, in fact, be fired 1 handed but need 2 hands to load.

22. - Top - End - #1222
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 653 Does the Driftwalker feat grant infinite movement in snow? Someone please tell me I'm reading this incorrectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Drag315 52
    Drlftwalker [General]
    You aren't slowed by snowy terrain, and know how to disguise your movements in the snow.
    Regions: Frost Barbarians, Ice Barbarians, Perrenland, Snow Barbarians, Stonehold, wild elf. wood elf.
    Benefit: It costs you no squares of movement to move into a snow-covered or heavy snow-covered square. You leave no tracks in snowy terrain and cannot be tracked. You may choose to leave a trail if so inclined.
    Normal: Moving into a snow-covered square costs 2 squares of movement. Moving into a square covered by heavy snow costs 4 squares of movement.
    Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Draculstar View Post
    Q621 (Repeat)

What happens when a 2 HD creature with the unseelie fey template uses a scroll of Iron Body?
    A621: Nothing; Iron Body grants DR 15/ addy, which is not defeated by 6 points of damage from iron. It would also need to be a Monk and make a natural attack against itself to trigger Iron Vulnerability.
    Last edited by GilesTheCleric; 2017-04-10 at 12:03 PM.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room!" – Kubrick, "Dr. Strangelove"
    I do still exist. I'm active on discord. Priestess of Neptune#8648

23. - Top - End - #1223
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q653

Does something happen should a druid's animal companion reach int 3?

According to the monster manual an animal can't have more than int 2; Does this mean the companion becomes a magical beast? Can he still be an animal companion?

24. - Top - End - #1224
    Ogre in the Playground

A 643 Addendum

You seem of the impression, that the Planeswalk ability would take more then a single move action. Where do you get this from? The text only speaks of a move action, as in singular.

Yes, the planeswalk will complete only 2 rounds later, but there are no new action costs involved.

So, to answer your question, assuming nothing interferes with the ability, the Xill will end up in the Ethereal Plane.

25. - Top - End - #1225
    Ogre in the Playground

Q654: Does permanent level drain remove the most recently acquired levels, or are they levels of your choice?

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room!" – Kubrick, "Dr. Strangelove"
    I do still exist. I'm active on discord. Priestess of Neptune#8648

26. - Top - End - #1226

Q655

Are things with immunity to cold immune to all spells with the cold descriptor, or just to cold damage?

For instance, if a Wizard with the Snowcaster feat uses it to add the cold descriptor to Charm Monster, would that spell work normally against a White Dragon (which has immunity to cold), or would the spell simply fail?

27. - Top - End - #1227
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

A 654: You lose your most recent level. (RC pg. 49)
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.- Benjamin Franklin

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Evelyn Beatrice Hall

28. - Top - End - #1228

BarbarianGuy

Q656

The See Invisibility Supernatural Ability of the Bloodhound PrC (Comp Adv) that allows them to constantly be under the effect of a See Invisibility with respect to seeing their Marks, if they are invisible... What caster level is this effect? The Bloodhound's levels in the Bloodhound class? Their total character level?

It is important when used against a creature that is effected by Nondetection.

See Invisibility (Su): This ability, gained at 6th level, functions like a see invisibility spell, except that it is constantly in effect and it reveals only invisible marks.

29. - Top - End - #1229
    Troll in the Playground

A 656 "Unless otherwise noted, a supernatural ability has an effective caster level equal to the creature’s Hit Dice."

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbi...turalAbilities
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

30. - Top - End - #1230
    Ettin in the Playground

A 655

Only the damage:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    A creature with cold immunity never takes cold damage. It has vulnerability to fire, which means it takes half again as much (+50%) damage as normal from fire, regardless of whether a saving throw is allowed, or if the save is a success or failure.