New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Goblins XVI: Corrupted to the Kore

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    My theory is,
    Spoiler
    Show
    he survives a large number of imprints, but all the imprints has messed with his mind and memories. He isnt fumbles anymore, he is some sort of teller gestalt. That way we get lots of grief and guilt and the gap gets to have a healer again. I picture some sort of moment when the former fumbles takes off the fake mustache and tosses it aside, dismissing it as some bit of garbage and minmax or ears keeping ahold of it with a stricken look on their face.
    Yes, he becomes Fumbles, destroyer of worlds!

2. - Top - End - #452
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    Yes, he becomes Fumbles, destroyer of worlds!
    If he turns into a blue glowing naked goblin, im out of here.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

3. - Top - End - #453
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doran View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

What is that magic FWOOM happening with the cloak in the last panel?
    wait.... waaaiit....

Spoiler: OH SNAP!!
    Show

THE CLOAK!

the pain cloak! Blocks all damage but hurts the wearer!

FUMBLES HAS ALREADY BEEN EXPOSED TO A SNAPTON OF PAIN! HE WAS THE LAST ONE WE SAW HOLDING IT BEFORE NOW.

sonofacrap Fumbles is going to survive the ritual by wearing the pain cloak, and experiancing a metric boatload of pain but being otherwise unharmed!
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #454
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    wait.... waaaiit....

Spoiler: OH SNAP!!
    Show

THE CLOAK!

the pain cloak! Blocks all damage but hurts the wearer!

FUMBLES HAS ALREADY BEEN EXPOSED TO A SNAPTON OF PAIN! HE WAS THE LAST ONE WE SAW HOLDING IT BEFORE NOW.

sonofacrap Fumbles is going to survive the ritual by wearing the pain cloak, and experiancing a metric boatload of pain but being otherwise unharmed!
    Spoiler
    Show

No, I thought so too originally, but he was wearing a black cloak in the ritual before, and we last saw the blue pain cloak being wrapped around the broken demon axe, with no indication it was unwrapped.

Unless Thunt goofed and forget to show a panel of him pulling the blue paincloak from the axe.

I guess we'll know once we have colors.

Oh wait - maybe he used the "item enchant - levitate" potion on the cloak, so now it's a super cape!
    Exalted avatar remix by Musashi
    Original Avatar by Strawberries
    Character is Kin from Goblins

5. - Top - End - #455
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

No, I thought so too originally, but he was wearing a black cloak in the ritual before, and we last saw the blue pain cloak being wrapped around the broken demon axe, with no indication it was unwrapped.

Unless Thunt goofed and forget to show a panel of him pulling the blue paincloak from the axe.

I guess we'll know once we have colors.

Oh wait - maybe he used the "item enchant - levitate" potion on the cloak, so now it's a super cape!
    Spoiler
    Show
    oohhh dang your right. look at the treasure minmax is holding too, two cloaks, one blue one black. damn.

idk then. maybe they're connected or there was a mixup or something? :P
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #456

Spoiler
    Show

Found it in Tarol's twitter feed.

It's a shadowflame cloak

Anyone who's played the game know what the numbers mean?

I'm guessing a bonus to AC and damage?

7. - Top - End - #457
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Also, we had seen Fumbles was already wearing the black cloak on the previous page. (That's probably what Doran was referring to.)

Anyone who's played the game know what the numbers mean?
    That's apparently from the Goblins RPG. Was that ever completed and distributed?

Why are people using spoiler tags?
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2017-05-17 at 12:41 PM.

8. - Top - End - #458

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    That's apparently from the Goblins RPG. Was that ever completed and distributed?
    To cut a long story short , as I understand it, it was a card game. The co-creator, a long term friend of Tarol's basically ran off with the kickstarter money, leaving Tarol as the public face.
    Tarol is slowly creating the cards and releasing them to the backers.

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    Why are people using spoiler tags?
    Because the update was released today, and people might check this thread first before going to goblinscomic.org
    So we spoiler our tags out of courtesy to those people.
    Last edited by Doran; 2017-05-17 at 12:47 PM.

9. - Top - End - #459
    Banned

I think it's a bit too soon for another tragedy to befall Fumbles, even for Thunt. Narratively, I think he's safe here. I've been wrong before though.

10. - Top - End - #460
    Troll in the Playground

I think he'll end up some sort of crazy, again. That's why he gets to be awesome here, because it will be a while before he'll get another chance at it. They might actually use the pain cloak (a decent reason to introduce it shortly before this scene), but I don't think the story is going to end up that much different because of it.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

11. - Top - End - #461
    Titan in the Playground

since Fumbles is one of the few goblins fighting, we might get an explanation on that staff of his, maybe find out if it really is the one responsible for breaking the axe or not.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #462

If this was a standard fantasy novel heroes journey type story, the whole talk about legendary seers absorbing 6 souls or whatever would be a huge hint that this guy is going to break the record due to awesome. The fact that this is a thunt story strongly suggest pain, suffering, and angst when something goes wrong. However, it wouldnt make sense narratively to kill off fumbles now, if they dont get a healer, they will die in this room, so thats why my theory goes with, he absorbs some absurd number of souls, but winds up in some sort of soul damage fugue state where he is able to function on autopilot as a healer because all that information is standard in the souls he absorbed, but the personalities and such are in such conflict with his own that those parts keep him mostly shut down. Plenty of angst, the group gets to move forward, all sides satisfied. Heck, we can even have the potential future drama of him "waking up" after he eventually finds a way to control all those aspects. *EDIT* Picture him as he was when they first rescued him. He has regressed to being barely functional, no communication. But he is able to heal people when needed.
    Last edited by Traab; 2017-05-20 at 02:14 PM.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

13. - Top - End - #463
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    If this was a standard fantasy novel heroes journey type story, the whole talk about legendary seers absorbing 6 souls or whatever would be a huge hint that this guy is going to break the record due to awesome. The fact that this is a thunt story strongly suggest pain, suffering, and angst when something goes wrong. However, it wouldnt make sense narratively to kill off fumbles now, if they dont get a healer, they will die in this room, so thats why my theory goes with, he absorbs some absurd number of souls, but winds up in some sort of soul damage fugue state where he is able to function on autopilot as a healer because all that information is standard in the souls he absorbed, but the personalities and such are in such conflict with his own that those parts keep him mostly shut down. Plenty of angst, the group gets to move forward, all sides satisfied. Heck, we can even have the potential future drama of him "waking up" after he eventually finds a way to control all those aspects. *EDIT* Picture him as he was when they first rescued him. He has regressed to being barely functional, no communication. But he is able to heal people when needed.
    I just don't see the point of fixing him for 5 minutes just to break him again. I know this is Thunt and all, but geez.

14. - Top - End - #464

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    I just don't see the point of fixing him for 5 minutes just to break him again. I know this is Thunt and all, but geez.
    There is a chance this is literally nothing but thunt getting around to giving fumbles his own class levels to work with. In which case I would bet he gets 3-4 souls and that counts as levels for him. It would kinda suck if he only counted as level 1-2.

15. - Top - End - #465
    Firbolg in the Playground

MindFlayer

I don't think anything's going to happen to Fumbles' personality, because Thunt loves "wacky lolz-2-teh-randumb" comedy and Fumbles is the one providing that to this group with his shenanigans.

16. - Top - End - #466
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nettlekid View Post
    I don't think anything's going to happen to Fumbles' personality, because Thunt loves "wacky lolz-2-teh-randumb" comedy and Fumbles is the one providing that to this group with his shenanigans.
    I don't think that Thunt's style of humor at all really. His stuff is silly at times, but it's not "lol I'm so random" type comedy.

17. - Top - End - #467
    Titan in the Playground

personally i think the pain cloak is going to get involved somehow. Fumbles was already tourtured to vegitation with an exess of pain. The cloak could keep him alive at the price of extreme pain.

Either the pain of the cloak is childs play compared to that of the goblinslayer, or his experiance with goblinslayer allowed his mind to grow a sort of armor against the pain and it doesn't turn out as bad for him as it would have otherwise.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #468
    Titan in the Playground

1) The 200-car pileup of tragedy, awful coincidence, and stupidity on the part of the characters has gotten excessive.

2) The part of the comic I enjoyed the most -- Minmax, Forgath, and Kin -- has been over for a while.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

19. - Top - End - #469
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    2) The part of the comic I enjoyed the most -- Minmax, Forgath, and Kin -- has been over for a while.
    I agree with this. For a comic called Goblins it's a lot more enjoyable when the non-goblin cast is being focused.

20. - Top - End - #470
    Titan in the Playground

So two pseudo updates. last week's update was finished, and it looks like this one is still in the works. instead there's a "meanwhile sketch" showing what's going on at this very moment somewhere else, but isn't terribly important.

Right now: Duv's lost it.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #471
    Titan in the Playground

Right now: Duv's lost it.
    Let's be honest: Is anyone surprised?
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

22. - Top - End - #472
    Ogre in the Playground

So two pseudo updates. last week's update was finished, and it looks like this one is still in the works. instead there's a "meanwhile sketch" showing what's going on at this very moment somewhere else, but isn't terribly important.
    The more interesting one is three Kins orgy going on, right now.

23. - Top - End - #473
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post
    The more interesting one is three Kins orgy going on, right now.
    ...the what? Where?

Also, just found the latest update(although I have no idea why the "next comic" and "previous comic" buttons aren't working properly), and damn Fumbles is awesome. Also, I think he's unlocked his IME, judging by those flames.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    I agree with this. For a comic called Goblins it's a lot more enjoyable when the non-goblin cast is being focused.
    True, I want more Dies Horrible personally.
    Or even the Dwarf, because I love me some side story PCs (the cursed ones; used to a Samurai). Where is the other one though?

25. - Top - End - #475

Or even the Dwarf, because I love me some side story PCs (the cursed ones; used to a Samurai). Where is the other one though?
    Dies Horribly was mourning the death of Klik when we last saw him, along with Saves a Fox.
    Not sure what Biscuit the Orc, and Grem the viper prince are doing.

We just checked in on Grem's mum.

The 3 dark elves / samurai / Team Rocket PCs were all brutally killed again by Die Horribly old new arm.

I don't think the two Klik adventurers with Forgath are played by the same players as Team Rocket, as TR are usually in threes.
    But... one of them could be playing the cursed sword klik, and he could be the one who wanted to hunt Klik down.

26. - Top - End - #476
    Titan in the Playground

Preeety sure the curse-group is unrelated to the ex-drow. though Doran's idea of the short one playing the sword-klik would make sense. So i could be wrong.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #477

If the cursed group is the ex drow, it'd be some really interesting character development of their players.

They start off all clones of drizz't, then ordinary adventurers, and finally really diverse and unique characters.

I guess Herbert kept killing them until they could be original.

Does anyone think the GAP now have players behind them, but ones who are really strict about breaking character? Complains DID know what a trope was.

Could go either way for me, although Minnax's player would be having a solo adventure with 4 NPCs

28. - Top - End - #478
    Titan in the Playground

nah i don't think the gap has players.

really don't buy the idea that anyone has "players" in the sense of people sitting around a table with dice and paper.

more like a "player" is just a thunt-verse term for something else, maybe a spirit that haunts you and gives you some vauge memmories or something i dunno. i just don't see the thuntverse as a game, a world that emulates or mirrors a game maybe, but not a game itself.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #479
    Firbolg in the Playground

There was that Tempts Fate with actual players, and the goblin actually murdered them.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

30. - Top - End - #480

nah i don't think the gap has players.

really don't buy the idea that anyone has "players" in the sense of people sitting around a table with dice and paper.

more like a "player" is just a thunt-verse term for something else, maybe a spirit that haunts you and gives you some vauge memmories or something i dunno. i just don't see the thuntverse as a game, a world that emulates or mirrors a game maybe, but not a game itself.
    Except we did see plenty of signs that the original full minmax crew are actual players. Im not sure when the last time we got a reference like that was, but I know as far as the maze of many minmax kissed forgath then played it off as not being gay because "you are played by a girl in real life" or something. And of course the dark elf trio were always written as a very specific (obnoxious) stereotype of players. Now its been awhile since that stuff has been done, so maybe thunt is moving away from it and trying to gloss it over, but it was all there. From clearly ooc conversations about drow boobs to discussions about earlier rules from previous versions of the system (hence thaco) Even the npc types like the goblins were aware of things like how to create "player characters" with talk about backstories and such. Oh, and exchanges between characters like, "you took improved unarmed strikes?!" "I got it by trading my ability to rhyme on purpose." And that whole, "arguing about the rules" exchange he and minmax had. Heck that entire chapter of the story had tons of references including forgath telling a complaining minmax that its just a standard players handbook longsword, not even herbert the gm is THAT monty hall.